Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends. Do you see potential in this house?

I've always wanted to renovate a house to have exactly what I want, and I love a bungalow.

I live in a paid off condo, but I want an actual house. This house needs a LOT of work, but it's in a great area and I think it has good bones.

Even if I got it for full asking price, I'd have about $125,000 for renovations, maybe more. (Will probably make about $75k selling my condo) Even if I eventually hated living in a house this size, I should have no problem selling it for a profit in this area.

So DL, what do you think? I know it would be a major gut, and I'd have to install central heat and air, but I think it could be really awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205January 20, 2018 3:08 PM

Insanely inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2016 3:44 PM

House is potentially gorgeous. Buy it!

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2016 3:46 PM

Yes, great bones but $5k in property taxes now - how much more after renovations? Is there a storage shed for tools, lawn care etc? How is it 1 story when there are 2 baths and bedrooms upstairs? It is a charmer but those taxes are worrisome.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2016 3:47 PM

Buy it. Hurry. It could be beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2016 3:51 PM

Define "major gut".

The kitchen, of course, but those hardwood floors look in good condition. And the layout looks gracious.

When people talk about gutting, that potentially means ripping out all the good older stuff and replacing it with newer junk.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2016 3:51 PM

It's gorgeous OP. Beautiful floors and great bones as they say. Obviously it could do with a bit of modernising. It could be stunning.

I can't believe the price tag!

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2016 3:55 PM

Have it checked for termites.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2016 3:56 PM

Don't buy it! DL will know where you live!

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2016 3:58 PM

But yes it looks at first blush like a good deal.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2016 3:59 PM

You're nuts. Unless you are talking about dildo exhibits in your living room and deer boy statues on your lawn it does not need A TON of work. It's a beautiful house that needs a gut in the kitchen and some updating in the other rooms.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2016 3:59 PM

OP, I did this about 30 years ago. The house was a money pit. Every single damned year something had to be done. AFTER we renovated. Just be ready for the inefficiencies. You will need to make sure your roof and windows and gutters are in good repair. You'll have to make sure there is no issue with flooding or drainage on your lot or in your home. A new heating and cooling system will be ridiculously expensive. I 'm not familiar with this area, but I did notice nars on the windows and doors.

Look. Here's my suggestion. Don't sell your Condo. Especially if it's paid for. Buy this house, and just do the basics: put in the new heating & cooling system, which will likely cost about $12-15,000, upgrade your kitchen & baths, another $25,000 total, paint, clean up the landscaping and make it presentable, and brighten up the floors. Probably another $5,000. Then sell it for a profit. Flip it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2016 4:03 PM

I've added the address to my navigation system so I will be fully prepared to attend the open house. I live kind of far, so you won't mind if I bunker down in your spare bedroom for a few days, right?

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2016 4:08 PM

Let Lisa Marie Presley have it.

I hear the poor thing is desperate.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2016 4:08 PM

[quote]Is there a storage shed for tools, lawn care etc?

Why do you ask that? Weird.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2016 4:13 PM

Be sure to make it "open concept " , lots of shiplap and subway tile , and dont forget the granite countertops and stainless appliances . Then , and only then , will you have a house that looks like every other house on the market . Personally , I like that old kitchen , and I like how all the rooms are separated ,but I know thats not the norm . That porch is wonderful !

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2016 4:14 PM

Lovely house, but since the same owner lived there for 71 years (!), clearly they were elderly at the end and apt to let things go.

However, that also means that you won't have to deal with ripping out all the awful rehabs of other owners. The house is probably very much as it was when built.

Yes, I noticed the bars on the lower front windows.

Also some damage to part of the ceiling in the dining room which probably means damage to the room above it and to the roof.

I don't know the area, but Google maps seems to indicate it faces on a busier street, but there are lovely houses on the inner streets.

Both bedrooms they show have private baths which may mean that this was a high end house when built. The baths both have pedestal sinks and probably original faucets which might be worth saving to keep the look of the house. (When family members bought a 1920 era house with similar sink and faucets, their plumber urged them to NOT get rid of them as the quality of those fixtures far surpasses anything made today.)

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2016 4:15 PM

Hurry up OP, they've already accepted a contingent offer.

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2016 4:15 PM

Yes, I was thinking SAVE THE BATHROOMS! too.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2016 4:17 PM

It's beautiful OP. But it's in Memphis. Is it in a good neighborhood? The only way you'd make money on this is if it's in a good, safe neighborhood. Whether the neighbors are black or white, is not relevant. People want to know that they're living in.a safe area.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2016 4:18 PM

There's still a ROTARY phone in the kitchen! Makes me feel the house has been empty for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2016 4:19 PM

The coloreds have pretty much ruined Memphis.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2016 4:21 PM

Why do they call it a bongalow, when there's clearly a second floor?

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2016 4:22 PM

It's difficult to get out the smell of old people. But if anyone can do it, it's you, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2016 4:22 PM

Looks like it's right next to a freeway.

Does this not bother you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2016 4:25 PM

Drawbacks, small lot, high taxes only going higher. Beautiful home that doesn't need a gut except kitchen, add central air. What condition is the partial basement in?

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2016 4:27 PM

It's a Craftsmen style house.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2016 4:27 PM

I wish we could upvote on DL instead of just W&W. I would take R3, R11, R16, and R24's comments into consideration, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2016 4:33 PM

Isn't Memphis pretty much Ghetto Central now?

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2016 4:36 PM

Black Lives Matter, OP, you're going to need bigger bars on the windows when they come for yo white azz.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2016 4:42 PM

It's in fucking Tennessee.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2016 4:44 PM

[quote]Black Lives Matter, OP, you're going to need bigger bars on the windows when they come for yo white azz.

Maybe OP doesn't have a 'white azz'.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2016 4:46 PM

OP, I think the home is lovely. But being next to a freeway would bother me. If I'm buying a house, I do not want to live next to a freeway. Also, what are your neighbors like? If you are young, and open minded (meaning not a grumpy racist) then you should be OK there, no matter what your skin color, but if you're a grumpy, good ol' racist, you will not be joining your neighbors for their Sunday afternoon cook outs. You will be miserable. There are bars on those windows for a reason, no matter how nice the house is.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2016 4:52 PM

My concern is the "busy" street is sits on. How busy is it? Plus, are there other renovated houses around there which are worth around what your total investment would be? If those two things are acceptable, then I'd go for it.

Plus, just remember that just because a house is being sold as-is, that doesn't mean you can't ask for credit if you find something in the inspection that needs expensive attention. And let's face it, you will.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2016 4:52 PM

What's the neighborhood like, what is the "Racial breakdown in the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods". You don't want to live near "Crackhead Central" or "Poor Da La Ghetto's"!! The House is nice on the outside, it needs work but it looks like it could be worth it! Make sure the plumbing is "ALL COPPER", no plastic pipes-they always crack!!

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2016 4:53 PM

OP here.

Yeah, it's on a busy street, but it's a beautiful busy street, and it's far off the road, up on a hill. It's not a "freeway." I'd rather live on one of the quieter side streets behind it, but I've always fantasized about renovating a house. I already live in this neighborhood. It's close to the zoo, the Levitt Shell, and the Brooks museum of art. The neighborhood down the street is about to boom--it's the new upcoming "arts district" and property values are already going up. I am not unaware that Memphis has its problems, but I love living here. This neighborhood is very liberal, artsy, educated, funky. It's one of the few areas of Memphis where I would live.

Virtually no one in this neighborhood has bars on their windows--maybe the elderly people who lived there were scared and didn't want an actual security system. Yes, I do indeed have a "white azz", but I'm also not afraid of black people.

As for renovations, I would never do the granite/ship lap/open concept bullshit. That's why it's so hard to find an old house in this neighborhood--most have been renovated just like that. I am sure that if someone has put an offer on it, it's this gay couple who buy up everything in this area, and that's EXACTLY how they renovate everything they "flip."

I have to really think about the pros/cons of the location.I'm meeting with my financial planner this week. I will see what she says!

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2016 4:54 PM

I don't think it needs a ton of work at all. The floors are gorgeous. I love the old Craftsman touches. You can recycle the kitchen cabinets and just strip and repaint and add new hardware to save money. New appliances of course and take out that odd counter sticking out. It's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2016 4:57 PM

That's not small for a city lot where I live.

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2016 5:01 PM

Good luck, OP!

It's a lovely home.

All that space and the separate rooms! I love it. Yes, some things will need to be fixed, but this was a house that was loved for a long time.

I agree with you that the older person who lived there is probably the reason for the bars.

I hate open concept layouts. I am currently shopping for a new condo and they all have those open layouts.

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2016 5:01 PM

Totally agree about hating open layouts. I don't want people to see my kitchen the moment they walk in the door.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2016 5:03 PM

Drive through the neighborhood at night, esp on weekends, and see what it's like then.

by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2016 5:04 PM

Bars on the windows in a residential neighborhood? No fucking way. That means there is a "certain element" in the neighborhood that civilized people would rather not be around.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2016 5:04 PM

[quote]Totally agree about hating open layouts. I don't want people to see my kitchen the moment they walk in the door.

Me too, gurl.

I've been putting back walls in my house. I like rooms with four walls.

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2016 5:04 PM

It is a lovely home. That fireplace!!!! OMG! I would re-do the kitchen, but NOT with the granite/stainless/ subway tile look.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2016 5:08 PM

I heard granite is on the way out. What is taking it's place.

Re: the window bars. A lot of the older homes in my area had them. I think people put them in back before security systems were available but now more and more people are taking the bars out. It doesn't necessarily mean it's dangerous, but danger is everywhere and old people are more fearful, with reason.. It just means they are passe and people are moving to security systems.

by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2016 5:08 PM

My kitchen inspiration--if I do get the house!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2016 5:15 PM

OP, it sounds like your condo is bigger, and paid off, and you just really want to renovate a house out of boredom.

But this house doesn't even need much renovation, except the kitchen.

You really want to downsize, and move, and take a financial gamble, just to re-do a kitchen?

If this house isn't worth much as is, it won't be worth the money you sink into it for the renovation you dream about.

Find a less expensive hobby, before you get burned sinking money into this tiny house.

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2016 5:17 PM

OP R46 is going to try and buy it out from under you.

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2016 5:20 PM

It is on a wide and potentially busy road, but it sits fairly far back from the street. And if you "drive" around the neighborhood on street view it looks quite pleasant. Plus the price is absolutely insane. I'm tempted to buy it and fix it up just because I can.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2016 5:22 PM

OP, you could always keep the condo and rent it out and live in this house.

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2016 5:23 PM

I love formal dining rooms.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2016 5:30 PM

R46, not sure why you think my condo is larger? It's a 2br/2ba with virtually no yard.

I paid $90,000 for it about 15 years ago. Other condos in my development are selling for 150-160, if they are "updated", which mine is.

I have left out another factor. I'm not single. My BF and I don't live together because he has kids who still live with him part time. They will be off to college in a couple of years, but both of our places are too small for us to live in together. We like having separate houses, works for us, but we eventually will move in together.He's supporting me in this, if I want to do it, and he'd help me with the redesign.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2016 5:31 PM

There's another wrinkle. Is he as adamant as you are about retaining its authenticity?

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2016 5:32 PM

R52--yes, he lives in an old house and has kept the character. He DOES have the granite and dark wood cabinets in his updated kitchen though. Hell, I have them in MY kitchen. 10 years ago, I didn't know any better! But neither of us would put them in a new home.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2016 5:43 PM

Hey OP --

In the mid-'70s I lived at 2000 North Parkway so I know the street and area well.

Sure you don't want a Hein Park fixer-upper? Dig deep!

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2016 5:43 PM

Hey R54--cool! I have lots of friends in Hein Park. Lots of great houses in there. Rare that anything comes up for sale. There was an awesome Mid Century a couple of years ago that I would have killed for. It had been updated and was super cool. Loved everything about it. Out of my price range, though.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2016 5:48 PM

How about Chickasaw Gardens then, OP?

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2016 5:53 PM

Cooper-Young perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2016 5:54 PM

$135,000 + 125,000 in renovations, all for a shitty little back yard.

I'd try to find a $200,000 house with a bigger yard, and you'd still have $55,000 left over to renovate it.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2016 5:57 PM

err $60,000. Or just buy a $260,000 house. Like, a tiny house the same size as this, but with a much bigger backyard or something.

No way are you selling this tiny house at a profit on your $260,000 investment.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2016 5:58 PM

It's a beautiful house and the floor plan looks really nice. The kitchen is big enough, which seems to be a rarity in older homes, love it! If you buy it, please post your "after" pics!

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2016 6:00 PM

Some of us like "shitty" little yards. Less to maintain and a nice paved patio can be cozy.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2016 6:00 PM

The best garden, is a garden you sweep.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2016 6:01 PM

Or you could get a much nicer house on 2 acres for the exact same price

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2016 6:01 PM

Yard is too big.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2016 6:01 PM

[quote]Yard is too big.

No, it's not.

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2016 6:02 PM

My biggest concern is that old people lived there for quite some time which could mean necessary repairs and maintainances were not made which could mean rain/water damage turning, or turned, to mold. Once there's mold in the ceilings and walls you pay (almost) as much for getting rid of the mold as for bulldozing the whole thing and building a new home.

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2016 6:03 PM

Well, if you like that tiny house with the tiny yard, my advice would simply be not to drop 125k into the renovation. Just redo the kitchen for 15k and save your money for other things like vacations and retirement. You'll never sell your fab renovation for 260k, and prospective buyers might not even like your renovation.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2016 6:05 PM

This is the part of Memphis OP's potential house is in:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2016 6:07 PM

I love the kitchen! Don't buy an old house if you want a new house.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2016 6:14 PM

Wise words, R69.

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2016 6:16 PM

[quote]Midtown has an evenly distributed black and white population, as well as a notable Asian population.

GOODBYE!

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2016 6:18 PM

Looks very much like my home, and I love it. I've never been a fan of modern housing.

This house really feels like a home to be lived in. It's been fun renovating as the mood or need arises. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2016 6:59 PM

Call me, OP -- I can help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 20, 2016 7:49 PM

It must be in a quiet neighbourhood - 1st criteria.

Obviously, make sure it is sound in every way, before buying.

2ndly, I like it a lot and would certainly NOT gut it. If those cabinets in the kitchen are in good shape, you must keep them. Maybe you would only need new countertops and of course whatever appliances you love.

I would spend money on: insulation, wiring (if necessary) heating and, only maybe, cooling. Very good windows and screens and a ventilation system would be preferable to central air, and only cool some parts of the house in hot weather. Such as maybe only the bedroom suite.

The floors that are not hardwood need redoing. Including the poor - something more bohemian luxurious.

Sorry but the house should be lived in, in a rather old fashioned way. if you are going to gut it and make it antiseptic and centrally cooled top to bottom, it's a pity.

by Anonymousreply 74August 20, 2016 8:01 PM

* including the porch....

by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2016 8:02 PM

Thanks OP, it's a great house. I just put a bid on it.

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2016 8:16 PM

R74 sounds like a VERY stylish gurl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 20, 2016 8:17 PM

OP again.

First of all, r64 I laughed out loud at your post! I would NEVER live out there! Talk about all white, Trump land. (It's a nice house though)

I have friends who live on North parkway, on the other side, and they have loved living there and have had no problems.

I *love* the metal cabinets in the kitchen and would love to keep them if they are in good condition. Maybe even get some of those new appliances that are made to look retro..who knows.

by Anonymousreply 78August 20, 2016 8:30 PM

And South Parkway is a hop, skip, and jump so you can get to Coletta's easily.

Buy it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 79August 20, 2016 8:34 PM

I love the retro appliances. If you can afford it get a farm sink.

by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2016 8:35 PM

[quote] Maybe even get some of those new appliances that are made to look retro..who knows.

& keep the beige rotary phone. Though you may have to pay a monthly rental fee.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2016 8:36 PM

Stop trying to spam your shitty house off online. The OP owns this house and can't sell it, so he hopes by posting some weak ass lame post, it'll drive people to the site via a Google search

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2016 8:37 PM

Go away R82. This is fun and we don't need you dragging it down.

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2016 8:57 PM

The Trolley Stop Market on Madison and the Farmers Market downtown at Union Station are close too!

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2016 9:20 PM

It's in an "up and coming" neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2016 9:31 PM

Are quartz and soapstone countertops still in?

by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2016 9:37 PM

linoleum is still available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2016 9:43 PM

15% or over colored....then no...

by Anonymousreply 88August 20, 2016 9:46 PM

The basic warnings for older homes: possibly needs a full plumbing and electrical (can't from photos) overhaul, the furnace possibly as well, is it oil or gas (radiator heat is great comfort-wise and no ducts moving dust around, but also means no ducts for central air)?

Any asbestos needing removal (probably old enough that it predates popcorn ceilings but the heating pipes could be wrapped in asbestos, and 9x9 floor tiles are quite possible)?

My main concern however is that the inside details (mouldings doors etc...) don't read as Craftsman at all, while the wrap around porch screams wanna-be Craftsman, with awful proportions in those pillars - looks like an amateurish add-on to me, and possibility of poor construction at that time, how it ties in to the original house, etc... Add-ons sometimes are creative ways to hide problems too.

by Anonymousreply 89August 20, 2016 9:50 PM

All houses are money pits this house is a bottomless money pit. The floors look nice but after 71 years all major mechanical and structural elements should be examined. OP if you buy this house the only people who will profit from this are your heirs.

by Anonymousreply 90August 20, 2016 9:51 PM

[quote] I would spend money on: insulation, wiring (if necessary) heating and, only maybe, cooling. Very good windows and screens and a ventilation system would be preferable to central air, and only cool some parts of the house in hot weather. Such as maybe only the bedroom suite.

No, a ventilation system would not be preferable to central air in any Southern state

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2016 9:53 PM

Nasty nasty nasty bigot R 88

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2016 10:00 PM

Mini-splits for the new AC. No ductwork required, minimal tubing and wiring required as compared to a central HVAC/

Keep the working radiators. I have a friend on Dickinson and she loves her radiators.

by Anonymousreply 93August 20, 2016 10:09 PM

I love the ignore button!

I may try to look at it person sometime this week, if someone doesn't buy it first. I have walked by it many times on my evening walks, but never been inside. It may be beyond what I want to tackle, but someone will!

Renovated and updated, this house could realistically go for north of $325,000. I know the doubters don't believe that, but I have seen similar homes with bad renovations go for even more in this neighborhood. The lesbians I know 3 streets over just had the house next door to them go for $330,000. We were surprised--it had been updated, but the kitchen and backyard were really weird. Some people just really want to live in this part of town.

by Anonymousreply 94August 20, 2016 10:11 PM

This section of North Parkway has many Craftsman homes and many of those with hip style roofs. Google this for an idea: Craftsman Style Home with Hip Roof

by Anonymousreply 95August 20, 2016 10:14 PM

I want to echo what R89 said OP. Before you buy, pay someone to check out the:

* Plumbing

*Electrical

* Roof

* Termite Damage

* Flooding (basement)

In an older home, that can wipe out your renovation budget. And if the elderly owners have not updated the electric since they moved in (or did it incorrectly, also common enough) than that's a big job. Plus modern appliances need modern electrical systems.

Agree with others that the house itself doesn't need much more than fresh paint and scraping the floors. You can do the kitchen in a midcentury or art deco pretty easily-- paint colors are going to be key to keep the feel.

Laughing at DLers who think $5K in property taxes is "high"-- in the Northeast, that's a steal.

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2016 10:20 PM

Also, retrofitting central air is not that hard. It's Memphis, you're going to want to keep the house at a pleasant temperature in the warmer months and it's cheaper to keep the whole house at 74 than cool off each room

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2016 10:22 PM

These appliances would look groovy in that kitchen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2016 10:33 PM

OR become a country squire in this $175K well kept country house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 20, 2016 10:38 PM

R67 on what planet can you do a full kitchen renovation for $15k?

OP it sounds like a good investment.

by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2016 10:40 PM

Part of me wants to skip the yard and just move into this place.

This is the up and coming Crosstown Arts section of town I mentioned. It's a few blocks from where I live now and the house I posted. This building and garage was the home to the city's largest Sears store for decades. It went out of business in the 80s. I remember riding the escalator when I was a kid.

It has been vacant since then and for years people have wanted to save the building, and it's finally happening. There are bars and galleries and restaurants popping up all over the street, and more will be in the bottom of the residential space.

Part of me thinks it would be cool to live here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2016 10:48 PM

It's in Knoxville. You may as well invest in real estate in Tajikistan.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2016 10:51 PM

Annoying website does not bode well.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2016 10:53 PM

[quote] Be sure to make it "open concept "

Funnily enough I have a family member who is a real estate agent in Memphis and she told me open concept homes are hard to sell. Maybe nobody watches HGTV down there?

by Anonymousreply 104August 20, 2016 10:53 PM

Sarcasm must be hard to sell on the stupid cunt too.

by Anonymousreply 105August 20, 2016 10:54 PM

Are we sure the OP isn't an estate agent trying to drum up interest in this fairly obscure area?

by Anonymousreply 106August 20, 2016 10:58 PM

Jesus, I got the sarcasm in your original post R105, I just thought it was an interesting thing since people talk about wanting open concept so much.

by Anonymousreply 107August 20, 2016 10:59 PM

I am not a realtor, r106, but I did date one for 4 years. That was often a pain in the ass, for me.

by Anonymousreply 108August 20, 2016 11:01 PM

What is in Knoxville, r102? That's on the other side of the state.

by Anonymousreply 109August 20, 2016 11:03 PM

Our house is a 1930s townhouse in London, UK. We bought it for £87k in 1998 but the downstairs had been completely torn out in the 1970s. There's one huge, mis-shapen room instead of two rooms and a lovely hallway. It's a nightmare to furnish as there isn't enough wall space and furniture ends up floating in the middle of the room.

The 70s renovation means that it's worth at least £30k less than its identical neighbour - well, identical except all the 1930s features and walls are still intact.

by Anonymousreply 110August 20, 2016 11:09 PM

OP, I bought a bungalow built in the 1900's. My GC assured me that those houses were built to last. Sure, I had some old plumbing and wiring but structurally the house is a juggernaut. Newer houses are built quickly and not made to last and basically built out of flimsy materials.

by Anonymousreply 111August 20, 2016 11:28 PM

We have a friend who is always telling my BF he should "knock out" the walls of his house. We ignore her. She has a house built in the 40s, and when you walk in the front door, it's all open to the back of the house. Entry, living room, kitchen, all one room. AND she has shelves instead of cabinets on the kitchen wall. I hate it, but if she likes it, fine. Just stop telling everyone else to go "open concept"!

by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2016 11:28 PM

R111, the house I grew up in was built in 1921. My parents still live there. Other than some roof repairs, they have had hardly any problems.

My mother "upgraded" the kitchen a few years ago to the granite...and she has way too much maroon and green, but we just don't talk about it. :-)

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2016 11:34 PM

I think "open concept" is a Frau thing, helps them be in everyone's business 24-7. There are cases where it makes sense (very small apartments/condos) or very modern layouts.

Most of the time however there's nowhere to place furniture (and they rarely have floor outlets for lamps you want next to those "floating" sofas), and there's constant interference with everyone's activities whether it's watching tv/movies or having a phone convo or trying to focus on reading a book.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2016 11:40 PM

I agree about keeping the radiators if possible. In big rooms, there is plenty of space for them and they really do suit the house.

Also agree strongly about checking for any asbestos. Very, very important.

I went through 2 house remodels when living with my parents and pass along some things to check:

1. Bring a level and check if the house is tilting in a major way. It's an older house, so it may not be totally level, but you want to know if there is a severe tilt. It may not be obvious by just looking.

2. Check the windows and sills. Open the windows and look at the whole sill area including that which is hidden under the sash of a closed window to see if there is any rot. It may be worth your money to replace the windows with similar styles as you would probably save $$$ in energy costs.

I wonder if I am the only poster who mistakenly looked at another location on google maps before finding the right one (see link below).

It looks as if the house might have once had a garage at the back that could be accessed via the alley that runs behind the houses on that block.

Also check the wood atop the support columns on the front porch.

And walk around the outside, carefully looking for water or other damage on the outside.

Why not contact "This Old House" and suggest they come and help with your renovations? It would be nice to see them working on some place other than Boston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2016 11:45 PM

Good advice r115.

Most of the houses in this neighborhood don't have driveways. There are alleys and the parking is in detached garages off the alley. Not sure why this one has a driveway. Sometimes the alleys stop and start.

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2016 11:53 PM

I read R84 first as Troll Stop Market, in furtherance of R82/R83...

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2016 11:54 PM

I suppose an open floor plan could be convenient if you live alone or have very small children that need watching but I would think it would be annoying to always hear the TV, dishes being done, smell of food cooking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 118August 21, 2016 12:05 AM

[quote]Most of the houses in this neighborhood don't have driveways.

Yes, but the other house on this block do have driveways ... long driveways with the garage at the back of the lot. Looking at the picture of the back yard, I wonder if that sidewalk heading to the back of the yard might have once led to the garage or if the garage was closer to the house. One of the houses on the block has the same kind of extended roof to the side of the house (What is this called? I can't remember.) but not all.

Worth checking out when you see the house. They might have left the slab where the garage used to be which might save some money if you choose to put in a garage. Also check to see if you can access the garage from the alley, rather than having to plow that whole long driveway if it shows. Also, a concern about ice on a sloping driveway as opposed to a level alley.

by Anonymousreply 119August 21, 2016 12:08 AM

That should be "snows", not "shows".

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2016 12:09 AM

You can get attractive radiator covers and a mini split air conditioning system. Some of the mini split systems heat as well as cool. I have a mini split that cools the whole 1st floor of my house. It cost $7500, but I live in a ridiculously expensive area. I'm sure it costs much less in other parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2016 12:16 AM

Hate to say it but "diversity" = higher taxes, LOWER property values and appreciations.

by Anonymousreply 122August 21, 2016 12:27 AM

[quote] One of the houses on the block has the same kind of extended roof to the side of the house (What is this called? I can't remember.)

It's called a "porte-cochere".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 21, 2016 12:29 AM

To a certain extent open concept is a frau thing. They want to keep on eye on the rugrats 24/7. Haven't you heard them on HGTV? "Oh, look, the kids can have all their toys and I can see them while I'm cooking". Of course, their house becomes a junkyard full of toys quickly.

by Anonymousreply 124August 21, 2016 12:39 AM

I like rooms and doors, and in old houses like OP's find, I like transom windows above the doors.

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2016 12:41 AM

I wonder if that Memphis house was built with an attic fan in the hall?

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2016 12:42 AM

OP, another thing you MUST inspect with older homes in layers of lead paint underneath new paint.

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2016 12:46 AM

OP, I learned something the hard way I'd like to share. Houses on busy streets are a bitch to sell. MAybe that's why it's such a great price. However long it takes to turn over a house on the market, triple it for one on a busy street. At least. And the longer it sits there the harder it will be to sell.

And a corollary to that: You will never get full value for the house. If the median price is $350,000 for comparable houses in that area, you can figure on getting somewhere around 280K. At most. Those are serious points to consider.

Buying on a quiet residential street adjacent to the "up and coming area" is your best bet. One last thing: We always think we will never do better, but you will. You will find exactly the right house in exactly the right street. Don't panic. Wait. And keep looking. Get to know realtors so you can find out when stuff is getting ready to go on the market.

by Anonymousreply 128August 21, 2016 12:47 AM

And check the age/condition is the boiler in the half-basement.

I assume it's been converted to natural gas from coal.

by Anonymousreply 129August 21, 2016 12:49 AM

r114 I agree 100%. There is no privacy in an open-concept house, and you can't get away from anyone who lives with you.

by Anonymousreply 130August 21, 2016 12:52 AM

You only have to worry about lead paint if you have a habit of licking the walls or chewing on window sills.

by Anonymousreply 131August 21, 2016 12:52 AM

Worth it, OP. Privacy can be modified by planting shit in your yard. And I'm guessing you're a GAY MAN so it shouldn't be so much of a concern INSIDE the house.

by Anonymousreply 132August 21, 2016 12:54 AM

Can you move it out of Tennessee?

by Anonymousreply 133August 21, 2016 1:07 AM

[quote] (When family members bought a 1920 era house with similar sink and faucets, their plumber urged them to NOT get rid of them as the quality of those fixtures far surpasses anything made today.)

Oh, FFS, since when does anyone take decorating advice from a plumber? Who cares that they don't make claw foot, iron tubs like they used to? There is a damn good reason----no one wants that impractical, old granny shit.

by Anonymousreply 134August 21, 2016 1:13 AM

I lived at 2000 N. Parkway as well. Great four years...

by Anonymousreply 135August 21, 2016 1:14 AM

First thing to check on is the roof. At that age, with elderly previous owners, it's almost certain the whole damn thing needs replacing. How long has it been since it was last replaced? Asbestos roofing materials were used from the 1920s all the way up to about 1980. How much to replace the roof? There could also be mold in the attic or crawlspace. This could end up a surprise major gut job.

Vinyl in the kitchen looks like 1970s which means it probably has asbestos in it, VERY likely. This means you cannot pull it up, but you can tile or vinyl over it. A few layers of that and your kitchen floor is higher than other floors. Don't try to rip it out , just go over it. You need someone that is an expert is asbestos abatement look over the entire house. Find out if there were additions built onto the house at any time. From the 1800s-1980 there were a lot of asbestos building materials used including insulation. Do not buy until you know. Yes it can all be pulled out, but it's very expensive and has to be done by a certified specialist.

Wood floors look new. If they are new, it's likely roof leaks ruined the old floors, or possibly pets peeing. Are they wood or some type of cheap laminate? Find out.

Before you do anything: 1. roof; 2. plumbing which almost certainly is shot in at least part of the house. Look for leaks inside kitchen cabinets, look at the baseboard behind the toilet. If it's stained, or the vinyl has separated behind the toilet, there's been leaks. Look at the wall and floor around the back of the toilet. Bring a flashlight. Also, what are the pipes made out of? Copper? Lead? Find out.

Windows - they are probably old and leaky, this brings up your electric bill considerably. Look at the wood around the windowsill. Is it rotten or spongy? Push down. You're looking for evidence of leaks. Look for evidence of a lot of spiderwebs around windowsills, cold be spiders attracted to moisture from leaking windows. More opportunity for mold. If you open it up, you have to clean it out. Is the insulation asbestos? Then it's a really big deal to open it up.

Assuming it isn't, I'd look into having the windows replaced. Otherwise it's going to be drafty as hell in there all winter.

Paint - under all those layers of paint is lead paint. It's up to you.

Having just done a remodel on a pretty new house that had tons of expensive "surprises" in it, my suggestion is that if your funds are limited, don't take on something like this. Maybe if you have a contractor you trust go over it before you by. Especially an asbestos abatement guy, but also check out those pipes. If you have to have the whole house replumbed, you can't afford it. If there's asbestos insulation in the walls, and you have to rip the walls up to put in new plumbing, now you've got two huge bills you didn't know were coming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2016 1:20 AM

Lead pipe information.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2016 1:20 AM

For me that street is a deal breaker. It's not just a busy street, it's the parkway.

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2016 1:30 AM

Here's a link to one of those ambulance chasing lawyer sites about asbestos.

I know someone that bought a mid century house and had a dumb tile person cut a hole in the kitchen floor, without checking out the tile first. The floor tile was asbestos. Long story short, their kid got very sick and nearly died, they found out the hole had exposed the entire house to asbestos dust, which they'd then lived in for months, and all their personal belongings were contaminated. They had to completely tear the house down with all their belongings in it, and walk out with the clothes on their backs. The kid couldn't even have his teddy bear.

I did some research for them, and found out a pretty much all of that flat, thin tile they used to put in kitchen had asbestos in it. Vinyl too. They quit using it in 1980 but there was still some old tile in stock that got installed for the next couple of years. I'd have the place checked by an expert before buying. As long as it's inside the walls and untouched it's probably okay, but if you have to replace the plumbing, it's not.

Even if it's okay, think about this if you're trying to restore the house with original materials. I found out the hard way that there's still new old stock tile with lead glaze out there being sold. You're better off using reproduction replacement materials in a lot of cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 21, 2016 1:30 AM

R131, lead paint can give off a sort of dust that then ends up in your food. It doesn't have to be obviously peeling. I used to live in an old Victorian in SF, and if I put my water glass down for more than a few minutes, there were obviously particles in the glass. Professionals have equipment that can measure this type of contamination.

by Anonymousreply 140August 21, 2016 1:38 AM

Old houses suck. I had one and it was nothing but headaches. You spend all your free time working on the house and years go by where you can't remember doing much of anything else. Then you get sick of it and want to GTFO and buy a no maintenance condo (like you already have). Greener grass and all that.

OP, I get the sense you're looking for a reno project that's fun and creative, not so much updating mechanicals that no one can even see. An old house has old EVERYTHING and you constantly have to upgrade and repair things that are too boring even to contemplate much less dump a ton of money into.

Why not buy land and build a new house to your exact specs? It's certainly cheap down there.

by Anonymousreply 141August 21, 2016 1:50 AM

OP here.

Well...sigh. We went out to dinner tonight, and ran into some friends from the neighborhood. They said they had been in to see the house (the wife is friends with someone in real estate) and they said it was a bit of a wreck--needs A LOT of work--not just cosmetic.

I may still go look at it--maybe they are planning to buy it and were trying to scare me off!

by Anonymousreply 142August 21, 2016 4:58 AM

Those retro appliances look like something a crazy cat lady, who thinks she's edgy and cool, would like. Too quirky and "whimsical".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 21, 2016 10:17 AM

OP you should go see it. But take heed from the posters here who are pointing out sensible stuff about the structure itself, the electrical, the plumbing system, lead pipes, asbestos, rotting wood, roofing, basement flooding issues, ceilings that are ready to cave in from years and years of water damage. Putting in central heating & air conditioning are just the most obvious upgrades.

One thing I learned from those HGTV home renovation shows: There is always something completely unexpected that is discovered while renovating an old house. Something expensive. Something beyond lead based paint or asbestos, or rotted wood. If you are really going to restore the house you will need to hire craftsmen who will be able to work with wet plaster, and other restoration skills, and the rest. A roof, new windows, a new gutter system, is only the beginning. Personally I can't see you doing it for less than $150,000. And that's a conservative estimate. You'd never get your money out.

If you really want to do this find a house in a better location. It might be a little more expensive, but no matter what they ask for a house they will always settle for less. Negotiate.

Finally, dude! Do you realize how fortunate you are to have a paid off home? You say your place is paid off? No mortgage? I envy you.

by Anonymousreply 144August 21, 2016 11:19 AM

It's a lovely house OP, but some things to be aware of. If you take out permits for any renovations, you will likely be required to bring ALL parts of the home up to code (if new electrical..probably old knob and tube or similar in this house, and if you update it in one room you will have to bring the entire house up to code, as well as install a new panel). Same with plumbing..you won't be able to "piecemeal" a room or 2, you will have to replace all of the plumbing throughout the house, up to and possibly including the main line that connects to the city hookup.

by Anonymousreply 145August 21, 2016 11:40 AM

And for those of you who say that the house is "insanely expensive," here's a similar style in Southern California, not even in a terribly desirable area, with less sq footage, for far more. Of course it looks to have been updated, restored, still...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 21, 2016 11:47 AM

[quote]bongalow

No one else catch this? Only me? Okay then, I shall chuckle to myself.

And OP, if you get rid of that fabulous bar/island in the kitchen, mail it to me. I want it BAD.

by Anonymousreply 147August 21, 2016 12:43 PM

R144- yes, I'm lucky in that regard. My condo is paid off. My parents gave me and each of my siblings about $100k each a few years ago, from the sell of some family land. I could have used all of it to buy the condo, but instead I put down a large down payment and invested the rest. I've always had a pretty small mortgage, and paid it off recently. I have just never wanted anything bigger until now.

After I posted late last night, BF and I talked more about this house...I'm thinking of maybe holding off until he can sell his house and we find something we can go in on as equals.

R147, I bet if you contacted the agent on this house, they'd GIVE you that island!

by Anonymousreply 148August 21, 2016 1:37 PM

R143 how can she do anything at that sink with all the shit handing right over it, collecting grease en plus.

by Anonymousreply 149August 21, 2016 2:52 PM

Dont buy something with a bf. Maybe, maybe, with a husband.

by Anonymousreply 150August 21, 2016 2:54 PM

[quote] Time to move on to the next Grade A gay Olympian. Like that guy from Tonga.

Yeah! Where's the guy from Tonga?

by Anonymousreply 151August 21, 2016 2:55 PM

OP, I think it's sweet that you want to invest in property with your boyfriend, but my advice? Don't. Never co-mingle your money with a person you are not married to. And I strongly recommend keeping it separate if married, unless you have children together.

by Anonymousreply 152August 21, 2016 3:01 PM

I'm a cautious pragmatic and I agree 100% with r150.

If you and the BF intend to finance ANY portion of what you wish to buy later, imagine yourself stuck with paying it off AFTER he takes his share of the equity with him when he leaves.

At some point you are TOO OLD to have a mortgage, you know?

The workplace for older employees has always been shaky at best, but these days it is simply deadly. You may as well go to work with a big target on your back because they will think of anything to get shed of you.

by Anonymousreply 153August 21, 2016 3:03 PM

R146, if you're referring to my post at r1, I said insanely inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 154August 21, 2016 3:04 PM

OP - If you go to see it, take pictures and post them. I'd love to see them.

I'm curious about the entry ... does the front door open directly into the living room? That seems odd.

What about the stairway to the upstairs? Upstairs hallway?

With an elderly long time resident, they may have just lived downstairs in the downstairs bedroom and not gone upstairs at all.

by Anonymousreply 155August 21, 2016 6:35 PM

Prob needs new electric, plumbing and roof. May as well insulate while you are at it. Oh, heating system too. There are your renovations...and the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 156August 21, 2016 6:44 PM

It hurts me when I see a historical home which is being gutted. I live in a house built in 1893 from old growth giant redwoods. I bought it because it is still largely original, unlike most of the homes in my neighborhood, although I live in a federally protected historic area.

I like historic homes because I grew up in a '50's ranch house in the SF Valley, in rapidly growing suburbia, fueled by GI loans.

So, I understand why many people want things that are "new." We might long for and appreciate what we didn't have.

OP, that house is not that great, nor cheap, to bother with all you want to do to it. I suggest you wait for a similarly charming home which has already been gutted and remodeled by someone with experience and taste, and my guess is that the cost will be much less than this purchase price and your ultimate remodeling expenses.

I have noticed, for example, that a many couples split after huge remodeling projects, and you can get some really beautiful properties, ready to move into, for the same amount you would pay for a average property, if costs are based on land value.

And, I agree with R153 "If you and the BF intend to finance ANY portion of what you wish to buy later, imagine yourself stuck with paying it off AFTER he takes his share of the equity with him when he leaves."

At some point if the housing market takes off, and the relationship deteriorates, one of you will care more about cashing out the appreciation, and the other with additional debt after a downslide or crash. It happened to me when we bought a zoo with some friends.

by Anonymousreply 157August 21, 2016 7:00 PM

Why do you weirdo keep calling this 9 room house with three baths "tiny"? Read the specs, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 158August 21, 2016 9:58 PM

It looks lovely, but OP, renovations are always more expensive and not going to end up looking like your dream home. On top of it, there are always major repair jobs to do that you do not know about. This is on top of regular maintenance. Stay in your paid off condo. If you have money to burn, buy a rental. This is for the tax write off, and you get money coming for repair from the rent.

by Anonymousreply 159August 21, 2016 10:09 PM

OP, do you mind if I ask your age? It matters somewhat, when buying a home. Also, in how long do you wish to retire, and how much do you have, put away, specifically, for that? Please take all of these factors into consideration before purchasing a second home. Also, when you answer those questions above, answer them as a single man, without a partner. Do not factor your boyfriend's age, income, savings, money specifically for retirement, etc., into any of it. You must be able to carry the home all by yourself if you choose to buy it, so do the math as a single man.

If I HAD to buy a home, and I was over 50, and I had all of my other ducks in a row, then I would buy a lot and build a new one, as suggested up thread.

by Anonymousreply 160August 21, 2016 10:36 PM

You're crazy to go in on a mortgage with your boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 161August 21, 2016 10:38 PM

OP here.

I'm 45. I plan to retire around 50 if I can. I'm not going into all my finances, but I will pretty much always have an income coming in, on top of my retirement. I have always lived a bit below my means. I could probably get a more expensive house with no problem, but the house I posted was more about wanting to do a home renovation.

I'm thinking now that this one is too much, though! And yes, I understand what you are all saying about not buying a house with my boyfriend. BUT years ago as a baby gay I Moved in with my first boyfriend into HIS house, and it always felt like HIS house. Will never do that again. Are all of you who are advising me not to buy with my BF single? Did you wait until you got married to buy a house with your man?

My BF and I have been together 9 years but have kept separate houses. We live about 5 minutes apart. We stay at whichever house is more convenient at the time, when he doesn't have his kids. Actually, we have joked that what we need is a duplex where we share the backyard but have our own units.

by Anonymousreply 162August 21, 2016 11:03 PM

I think OP is crazy to want to get into debt, now that his condo is paid off, but that's just me, r161.

by Anonymousreply 163August 21, 2016 11:04 PM

R162 (OP), the duplex is actually an excellent idea. Rent the other half out to another nice gay or lesbian couple. If shit ever hits the fan, give the tenants their 60 day notice to vacate, and voila! Each of you have your own places again!

by Anonymousreply 164August 21, 2016 11:08 PM

IMO, you already have the ***perfect*** arrangement, OP.

"My BF and I have been together 9 years but have kept separate houses. We live about 5 minutes apart. We stay at whichever house is more convenient at the time, when he doesn't have his kids."

by Anonymousreply 165August 21, 2016 11:08 PM

R162 You can buy RE with your bf you should approach it as a business. Have a contract written with all the options for both of you if you decide to split or if one of you dies. Spelling out all the contingencies provides you with an agreed upon roadmap in the event things in your life go south.

by Anonymousreply 166August 21, 2016 11:51 PM

Arts & Crafts = Timelessly cozy. Be sure to give it a warm glow by bringing out the wood with honeyed tones and tiling with a red grout.

by Anonymousreply 167August 22, 2016 12:03 AM

I'd be the first to put down open concept, but some things need to be opened up. About 12 years my late partner and I renovated a circa 1920s mock Tudor (thankfully all cut stone, no stucco and timbers) and we knocked down walls between the kitchen, breakfast room and maid's room, and a sunporch.. The tiny maid's bathroom became another main floor half bath

Luckily we were able to salvage the old panelled kitchen cabinets from three other houses by the same builder on our street when they renovated. Our upper cabinets were all glass paned doors, all white, with yes, lavender granite, this was 12 years ago.

French doors led to each main room. The livingroom was only 12 feet wide and the adjacent center hall was six feet, not counting the stairs. We opened it up and reused the French doors. The narrow 12'x 36' living room became an 18'x36' living/dining.

We carefully turned six bedrooms into four. We moved the master from the third floor (a 70s idea) back to the second with the third floor garret as a huge media room with a guest room and bathroom. More of those old kitchen cabinets were used as built-ins.

If you are renovating an old house, check the salvage yards. When I sold that house we still had a cache of old kitchen cabinets in the garage.

by Anonymousreply 168August 22, 2016 12:55 AM

OP, you should get married and buy a bigger house together, which doesn’t require any renovation. Make sure it’s one that you’ve both chosen.

by Anonymousreply 169August 22, 2016 12:57 AM

R168 Sounds like you did a great job with that house.

by Anonymousreply 170August 22, 2016 1:50 AM

Get good lawyers (2) and write a contract protecting each of you if you buy it with your BF . If things go south he could borrow against his half without your knowledge .

2500 sq ft @ $50 a foot rehab=$125,000.

Get rid of the radiators and install central hvac. Pre inspect for lead paint , asbestos and structural problems as well as plumbing and electrical

This could be a great deal for you or a nightmare that will have you wanting to slit your wrists. It could also ruin your relationship with your BF.

Go in eyes wide open. I speak from experience .

by Anonymousreply 171August 22, 2016 2:01 AM

I lived in a house in Memphis that looked a lot like that many years ago. It was across the street from Cybill Shepherd's parents' house. Elvis used to drive by and pick her up there!

by Anonymousreply 172August 22, 2016 3:08 AM

It looks like it doesn't have front-yard flowers.

If so, it is tasteful, according to DL.

by Anonymousreply 173August 22, 2016 3:10 AM

R172--I know that house!

Wait, flowers in the front yard is a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 174August 22, 2016 3:16 AM

I want this house

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 22, 2016 3:18 AM

Yes, OP, front yard flowers are very, very tacky.

Tasteful shrubbery and greenery only.

by Anonymousreply 176August 22, 2016 3:19 AM

I thought we did, r170. Except for the granite, but it was what everyone wanted back then.

I couldn't live there after he died (of pancreatic cancer)

I moved to an 8 room apartment pre WW2 condo conversion.

by Anonymousreply 177August 22, 2016 3:20 AM

Well, I only have shrubs and some ivy in front of my condo, and my BF doesn't have any flowers in his front yard, either (some hydrangea on the side yard) --but I've never really thought about it. I mostly figured flowers are harder to keep up with.

One thing my BF has in his yard that I hate is that fucking monkey grass.

by Anonymousreply 178August 22, 2016 3:25 AM

Shrubs and ivy are acceptable, OP.

Go in peace.

by Anonymousreply 179August 22, 2016 3:27 AM

Shelley Long @ R171

by Anonymousreply 180August 22, 2016 3:35 AM

One more "gotcha", if you ever think of keeping the condo and buying a house to flip, look into capital gains tax as it applies to your state etc... Profit on resale of a "business" property is often taxed differently than on your "primary residence", there might be smarter ways to set that up initially to legally save big later.

by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2016 4:31 AM

R177 Sorry for your loss. It's probably a good move (pun intended) to have sold that house and start fresh.

Certain items like countertops are like haircuts, sometimes classics, sometimes regrettable a decade later ;). Much easier to redo that granite than some trendy cabinet or staircase layout.

by Anonymousreply 182August 22, 2016 4:39 AM

Excellent point r181.

Many people make the mistake of over -renovating their vacation properties only to find out that when a secondary property is sold, tax on the sale eats a lot of the profit from "that renovation"

by Anonymousreply 183August 22, 2016 4:39 AM

OP here.

Well, I think I'm going to move on from fantasizing about this house! It was a fun discussion though. Just wanted to say thanks to all the nice people who joined in--but not the downers who I had to put on ignore.

This thread is probably dead, but I thought some of you might be interested in the most expensive house for sale in Memphis. Hell, it's more like a compound! It's less than 10 minutes from my house. I can't imagine anyone in Memphis paying that much for a house--those who COULD want to live "out east".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 24, 2016 4:15 AM

Love that. It's like a little village. I would choose a different style, but I like it.

by Anonymousreply 185August 24, 2016 4:24 AM

Without an open floorplan, how will you ever keep an eye on Colt-yn Jr., Ash-Leigh-Lyn, and Katelyn-lyn?

by Anonymousreply 186August 24, 2016 4:39 AM

[quote]Just wanted to say thanks to all the nice people who joined in--but not the downers who I had to put on ignore.

So you only want to hear from people who say 'nice things' and agree with you. Man up Mary!

by Anonymousreply 187August 24, 2016 8:18 AM

Uh..no, I welcomed all opinions on the issue, just not the racist trolls who showed up.

But thanks for playing!

by Anonymousreply 188August 24, 2016 5:38 PM

R13, I think the OP IS Lisa Marie.

Guess it occurred to you you couldn't sleep in a place with tourists trampling through like Pamplona, eh?

by Anonymousreply 189August 24, 2016 7:11 PM

Thanks for sharing the saga with us OP. I went through same thing last year. I ended up buying the old house I fell in love with after about 4 months of house hunting, old plumbing and out of date electricity and all. It was on a major thoroughfare but we're talking a town with less than 2000 people so that's relative. The commute is no joke but I think the tradeoff was worth it because....like you I was looking in rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods with beautiful old fixers, and that had sketchy elements nearby. If I had gone through with the house I made my initial offer on, my taxes would have nearly doubled inside a year and the hipster factor--and the accompanying traffic--would have made my commute not much shorter than my current one, and all of it stressful city driving. You're only a few years younger than me, and as you get older, the aggravation that comes with the territory of a desirable neighborhood is going to look a lot less attractive than the peace and quiet of side street a little further away. Something to keep on mind. Also, I'm going to disagree with the people who suggest buying an old house that's already been renovated. The first place I put an offer on was a fixer for the ages--old lady, years of neglect, awkward seventies vinyl, etc. It also had rock walls, graceful porches, old wood--it would have been a ten year project, but I was heartbroken when I was outbid by an investor from California. The renovated house appeared in MLS last winter. It had been gutted, the beautiful porches removed, most of the rock gone, open plan interior, granite, etc. It would have fit right in in any cookie cutter subdivision. They wanted a ridiculous price, 150% of what they paid. Its still sitting there, unsold. Periodically, they drop the price, but it's still idiotically expensive for the area. So my advice, if you love old houses, buy what you love or what you can make your own. You're in a better position than a lot of people, financially and job wise--the right house is out there. Good luck,OP, keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 190August 24, 2016 8:54 PM

Lived in Memphis years ago. Had relatives in Central and Chickasaw Gardens. Don't believe they'll get 5 mil. for the house you posted. As you said, those that can afford it don't want to live in Memphis proper. Am still astounded by the sale price of Annesdale (Snowden house) in Central Gardens. The guest house in pic 15 is very handsome

by Anonymousreply 191August 25, 2016 12:18 AM

Op, so are you buying the house or not?

by Anonymousreply 192August 26, 2016 8:19 AM

Are you near Graceland?

by Anonymousreply 193August 26, 2016 11:53 AM

OP here.

Nope, not buying the house. Just not the right time...and I think I am a little scared of THAT much renovation. I am curious to see what is done with it...

r193, I don't live near Graceland. I did when I was a little kid, but the neighborhood isn't so great anymore. I did drive by it last night--was driving home from a little trip down to Mississippi, and the interstate was backed up so I worked my way home up past Graceland. They are doing major work around there, trying to spruce it up...but no, I'd never live over there.

r190, I get what you mean. There are some wonderful living spaces in downtown Memphis, and I do love going down there and enjoying the scene...but friends of mine who have moved down there say it gets to be a pain in the ass when you're just trying to get home and the crowds are everywhere.

If I was LOADED, I'd buy this house. It's in the same area of the original house I posted. In fact, it is on a dead end street, and it is a few feet from Overton Park. I don't LOVE the kitchen, and all that terra cotta orange would have to go, but it sure is nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 26, 2016 5:03 PM

^^^ I also hate almost all the furniture in that house.

by Anonymousreply 195August 26, 2016 5:04 PM

It's probably Derrick Rose's house R191.

Plenty of market for people who want to live in Memphis.

by Anonymousreply 196August 26, 2016 5:58 PM

This is the current owner who is trying to unload the 5mil Memphis compound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 27, 2016 12:01 AM

OP here--here is a pic of the house from the original post. Took a pic today From the car. I would love to see what these people did to the inside! The outside and the lawn looks great.

I wish I'd saved pictures of the original listing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198May 14, 2017 8:25 PM

OP here again...they are finally "flipping it"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199January 19, 2018 11:56 PM

Hey thanks for the update. I remember this! Well, it looks like what people want nowadays but ALL the charm is gone. Its actually pretty grisly if you think too much.

by Anonymousreply 200January 20, 2018 12:04 AM

Yeah it's kind of generic..in that HGTV "Fixer Upper" way. And for $329,000 I'd want those radiators gone!

by Anonymousreply 201January 20, 2018 12:40 AM

I remember this house and this thread!

I posted some things about the house originally at R16.

Clearly they fixed the ceiling and took off the window bars.

And they kept the pedestal sinks (or copied them) in the 2 small bedrooms (as I suggested).

But an open kitchen? Awful.

If you had to do this, then they should have put in pocket doors so that the kitchen could be closed off from the rest of the downstairs.

I hate looking into the kitchen from the living room. I am looking forward to when that style is long gone.

But, but, whatever grace design touches that that original house had are now gone. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 202January 20, 2018 12:44 AM

I hate that open to the kitchen thing too, r202. I think that's going to hurt a lot of house's resale in a few years when that trend is over.

They did keep some of the retro curved shelves in the kitchen and the big kitchen stove hood, but I'd have kept it a little more "vintage".

I think their "flip" took longer because a few months back we had a big storm and a huge tree fell on the carport side of the house.

by Anonymousreply 203January 20, 2018 12:53 AM

I got a deja vu feeling when I opened this thread, R202.

OP, if you do a Google image search using the old MLS number you can see a few pictures from the original listing.

"mls 176439978"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 20, 2018 1:11 AM

I don't mind the kitchen update, but the master bath is rather hiddy and those grey walls would have to go.

by Anonymousreply 205January 20, 2018 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!