Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Freaks (1932)

It's a mark of how brilliant Irving Thalberg was that he gave this film the go-ahead. I read that he once got all the studio bods together and screened them Fritz Lang's M, then asked why they weren't making films of that calibre. That really was a brief but golden era at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2018 11:06 PM

Great film, a head of it's time.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2018 3:49 PM

I could have been a star in that production.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2018 3:53 PM

Still says so much about the human condition - sometimes the most beautiful looking people are the ugliest inside

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2018 3:54 PM

If you can get past the visual experience, it is “deep” but I find it very disturbing and hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2018 4:12 PM

One of my favorites. Most of the freaks from the film continued to work as freaks until they died.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2018 4:15 PM

Never seen it never going to.

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2018 4:18 PM

you should, r6. it's quite simulating.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2018 4:19 PM

What else would they do R5?

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2018 4:34 PM

Such a great movie. Every time I watch it, I can't believe it was actually made back in 1932. So macabre, so disturbing, so ahead of its time.

"One of us! One of us!"

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2018 4:40 PM

Great film, a pinhead of it's time.

Fixed it for you R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2018 5:41 PM

Perhaps the most disturbing MGM film ever made!

Terrific film, and totally the opposite of everything MGM became known for during its reign as the top studio of the Classic Era. Frankly I wasn't even aware it was an MGM film, I'd sort of assumed it was an indie, or from one of the low-budget studios that was willing to try anything once.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2018 6:18 PM

[quote] I read that he once got all the studio bods together and screened them Fritz Lang's M,

You mean like Johnny Weissmuller and Buster Crabbe? i guess they weren't at MGM, so the best studio bod he could get would have been Clark Gable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2018 6:48 PM

Dressed like a priest you was Todd Browning's freak you was

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2018 7:02 PM

Gooble Gobble, one of us!

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2018 7:31 PM

OMG, the ending! Freaked me out the first time I saw it (hence the title "Freaks," I guess).

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2018 11:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!