Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marni Nixon DEAD at 86!

Marni Nixon, the ghost singer for actresses Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe and more died yesterday at 86.

[quote]It was a decidedly peculiar calling — and not one on which Ms. Nixon had ever planned — entailing not so much imitating actors as embodying them.

[quote]“It’s fascinating, getting inside the actresses you’re singing for,” she told The New York Journal-American in 1964. “It’s like cutting off the top of their heads and seeing what’s underneath. You have to know how they feel, as well as how they talk, in order to sing as they would sing — if they could sing.”

[quote]Over time, however, Ms. Nixon came to regard her spectacular mimetic gift as more curse than blessing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2021 12:44 PM

Trivia: her son Andrew Gold wrote "Thank You For Being a Friend"!

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2016 11:33 AM

Gold died in 2011 at the age of 59 (heart failure). RIP, Marni and Andrew!

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2016 11:40 AM

Wow, R2, I never knew Andrew Gold had passed away five years ago -- his "Lonely Boy" was one of the AM radio favorites of my youth!

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2016 11:54 AM

Good riddance! Miss Nixon almost managed to ruin all those classic musicals with her bland voice. And moviegoers back then had to be really dumb not to notice that all the actresses sounded exactly the same when singing.

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2016 12:22 PM

Guess Andrew Gold isn't such a Lonely Boy anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2016 1:29 PM

R4 = Cheeto-stained harlot

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2016 1:38 PM

Why no BREAKING NEWS headline?

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2016 1:49 PM

She said cunty things about Natalie on the WSS DVD reissue extras.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2016 2:21 PM

r8 Read this interview with Marni about WSS. It sounds like Natalie was the cunt, and the blame should have been placed on the studio and their machinations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2016 2:28 PM

She worked and lived in Seattle. She did a kids show called "Boomerang" and every single person who worked on the show with her said she was a cunt of epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2016 3:00 PM

Will surely miss this great talent!

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2016 3:19 PM

Oh, Natalie Wood. *sobs*

I still remember her last words.....

"SPLASH"

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2016 3:53 PM

At last she's reunited with her husband Dick!

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2016 3:56 PM

She was actually SEEN as well as heard as the nun Sister Sophia in "The Sound of Music," during the "How Do Ypu Solve a Problem Like Maria?" number.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2016 4:15 PM

^^^ You*

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2016 4:16 PM

[quote]She was actually SEEN as well as heard as the nun Sister Sophia in "The Sound of Music," during the "How Do Ypu Solve a Problem Like Maria?" number.

She was dubbed by Yma Sumac.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2016 7:19 PM

I was surprised to see her trending on Twitter, partly because I thought she was already dead, and partly because I wouldn't have expected many people to have heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2016 7:21 PM

She made Andrew a lonely boy.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2016 7:24 PM

When I first started watching old movies on TBS or TNT or whatever it was -- some Turner channel pre-TCM -- they had trivia during commercials and Marni Nixon was mentioned a lot. I mentioned it a few times myself in conversations with friends and they always already seemed to know who she was. We were late teens and early 20s in the mid 1990s, so yeah, in retrospect, it IS kind of odd we knew who she was, but most of us did.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2016 7:25 PM

I heard an interview on NPR with Marni Nixon and Rita Moreno about West Side Story, and Nixon was quite careful with her response about working with Natalie Wood. Rita Moreno was far more straightforward: "I'm not a fan."

Wood was in over her head and frustrated by her lack of musical/dance talent, and she was unpleasant to be around as a result.

She was grossly miscast on multiple levels.

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2016 9:02 PM

What year was that NPR interview, r20?

Seems pretty insensitive of Rita Moreno to be so blunt about NW.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2016 9:50 PM

Apparently, of Marni's 3 most famous dubbing jobs, Deborah Kerr was the only actress who was totally aware of what was going on and welcomed Marni's participation and even worked with her to provide a seamless transition from dialogue to song. And it paid off.

The other two, Natalie Wood and Audrey Hepburn foolishly thought their own singing voices would be used with just some slight "synthetic sweetening" added into the mix. It's outrageous to think that they could have been so naïve!

I do have to wonder, though, that there weren't professional singers/dubbers around in early 1960s Hollywood to better match the Puerto Rican teenager of Wood and the cockney guttersnipe of Hepburn. Neither is a great match, despite the lovely voice of Nixon's.

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2016 10:32 PM

Despite her lone above-the-title billing on WSS, Natalie Wood grumpily realized she was just an ensemble member in the making of the film and had little participation (wanted or unwanted) in all the camaraderie and rivalry for Moreno, Beymer, Tamblyn Chakiris and all of the youthful cast, created by Jerry Robbins in the long weeks of dance rehearsals that preceding shooting the film. By the time she joined the filming, she was an outsider.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2016 10:36 PM

Natalie was also recovering from the shoot of GYPSY, where Roz Russell upstaged her. She was particularly haunted after Tessie Tura flashed her snatch at her one day.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2016 11:02 PM

Are we sure it's really Miss Nixon who has left us?

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2016 12:37 AM

Everybody unfairly blamed Marni Nixon for ruining the last two seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," but I think people are being overly harsh. Here is Marni providing her singing talents in the musical episode of "Buffy" in one of the most memorable scenes of the entire series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2016 1:56 AM

Tippi Hedren played her in my film. Insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2016 2:07 AM

Thought she died ages ago.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2016 2:20 AM

Nixon, Noxon; Marni, Marti; potayto, potahto.

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2016 2:44 AM

Sad...

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2016 4:37 AM

My memory of the documentary Hollywood Screen Tests: Take 1 was that Marni was tested for a role in Hello, Dolly! but not cast. However Imdb says that she is the documentary only connected with The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2016 5:06 AM

So your memory is wrong, R21. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2016 5:38 AM

r29, Let's call the whole thing off!

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2016 8:25 AM

I wonder if Nixon resented Noxon.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2016 11:30 AM

r21, I think they re-broadcast the interview last year.

I believe it was this one from 2001.

And if Wood was unpleasant on the set, I don't see why Nixon and Moreno should pretend otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2016 3:33 PM

[quote]Seems pretty insensitive of Rita Moreno to be so blunt about NW.

You don't know Rita!

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2016 4:12 PM

I know I do, R34; probably enough for both Nixon and me.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2016 12:49 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2021 1:16 AM

Was just thinking about Marni, and a Mary Poppins album that Disney released in the 60s, featuring her doing all of Julie songs. I had it as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2021 1:19 AM

I had that album too.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2021 1:32 AM

R40 I was confused because even as a child I knew who Julie Andrews was. Many years later, I briefly met Marni. Life is funny.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2021 1:34 AM

[quote] Seems pretty insensitive of Rita Moreno to be so blunt about NW.

Not when Natalie's dead.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2021 1:37 AM

Both my parents told me that Marni is Julie Andrews’s sister. Don’t know where they got that….

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2021 1:40 AM

Natalie Wood had an ok voice I suppose, but it wasn't what suits wanted for WSS and that was that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2021 2:10 AM

[quote]Bump

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2021 2:13 AM

Starting at 44:24 three stately queens of Hollywood dubbing discuss Westside Story. Long story short there was a whole lot of dubbing gone....

Natalie Wood had it written into her contract for WWS she would pre-record all her own tracks. This was done but Marni Nixon was brought in to do work also to even things out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2021 2:17 AM

Hollywood's other favourite dubber, Margery MacKay worked on Sound of Music as well.

The great Peggy Wood no longer could handle high notes for "Climb Every Mountain" so it was suggested (and the good lady agreed) to Ms. MacKay being brought in... No harm, no foul...

It does perhaps explain why Mother Abbess sings her big number mostly hidden in shadows...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2021 2:20 AM

R45 But why? Please explain. In detail.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2021 2:22 AM

Sorry, posted wrong link in R46..

Carry on...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2021 2:25 AM

R5 He never was in that sense. His father, film composer Ernest Gold died before he did (in 1999).

I've always preferred "Lonely Boy" to "Thank You For Being A Friend", R3.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2021 2:26 AM

That's my favorite song in the show, R47. And despite the rest of it being lackluster, I LOVE Audra McDonald's performance of "Climb Ev'ry Mountain". It has been my favorite version since it was released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2021 6:51 AM

hey 49...thanks for sharing the youtube video with charles busch, et al. ... fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2021 6:54 AM

Dead on the 10th year anniversary of her famous son's death.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2021 7:08 AM

Fuck it's from 5 years ago. Someone bumped it.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2021 7:30 AM

R51

You have no idea how many pastors or whoever in charge of a house of worship has put his foot down over Climb Ev'ry Mountain and a few other songs.

Some frau gets up there and starts clucking fully believing she sounds like Peggy Wood/Mother Abbess . Being a house of the Lord throwing tomatoes, booing, or giving said woman the hook is out.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2021 7:36 AM

Wow!

Marni dies twice.

Nine lives or deaths, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2021 7:37 AM

Until watching that clip one had no idea Charles Busch was such an expert on things Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2021 7:39 AM

R55 Being a theatre person, I can imagine. Though thankfully, I wasn't forced to endure that during my upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2021 7:43 AM

[quote][R45] But why? Please explain. In detail.

Because you "bumped" a fucking 5-year-old death announcement thread for no damn reason, that's why. If you wanted to start a new discussion, pay for a subscription and start a new damn thread.

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2021 7:46 AM

Since we're on a Sound of Music kick atm.....

OBC from Sound of Music on Ed Sullivan show doing Dixit Dominus Morning Hymn/ Alleluia and Climb Ev'ry Mountain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2021 7:52 AM

Anna Lee, Portia Nelson, Marni Nixon, Evadne Baker did honors for film recording.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2021 8:01 AM

Richard Beymer is still with us at 83!

No mention of a wife or otherwise involved with females so am taking that as he's family. Well that and he worked closely with Barney Frank in the Freedom Democrat movement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2021 8:05 AM

It is rather interesting but sad in a way that Richard Beymer sang (or said) only one word in song that he made famous; "Maria". Everything else was dubbed byJ im Bryant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2021 8:09 AM

One Hand, One Heart - Natalie Wood 's own voice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2021 8:11 AM

Think this is the NPR interview R20 is referring...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2021 8:15 AM

Fuck off, R4. Heartless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2021 8:17 AM

Clip of Mari Nixon singing songs from Sound Of Music for versions that would be dubbed for foreign audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2021 8:17 AM

Know this is Marni Nixon's thread, but honorable mention goes to Martha Mears who was the "busiest dubber" in Hollywood at some point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2021 8:21 AM

I never liked her bland, vanilla voice that lent absolutely no character. And I didn't even find her tone pleasant to listen to, so I never understood why Hollywood kept using her. She ruined the MFL songs with her boring delivery.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2021 8:24 AM

There were so many dubbers; Sally Sweetland, Martha Mears, Eileen Wilson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2021 8:25 AM

R59 Because I thought about Marni and want to discuss her, dolt. Why start a new thread when there's a perfectly good one still functioning, with all the info? Why do people get apoplectic about bumping old threads here? I don't get it. I'm a paid member and can do what I want. If a fucking old Marni Nixon thread upsets you so, discuss it with your therapist.

ANYway. I met Marni outside of an off-Broadway theater after the premiere of a new musical she'd just been in, I forget the name but it was about old people. Cissy Houston was in it, and also the guy on Love Boat who became a congressman. I told Marni I thought the show was great and she was all, "Really? Did you REALLY like it?" I was amazed that Marni Nixon, whose voice I'd listened to in all my favorite movies, seemed so humble.

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2021 12:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!