Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Has anyone else started watching? It started today.

It's very Spielbergian, with the setting a "normal" Indiana town (like CLOSE ENCOUNTERS) filled with twelve year old boys in messy houses who love to play Dungeons and Dragons and ride their bicycles at night (like ET). And a boy disappears when he is abducted by extraterrestrial forces and his loss is mourned by his single mother (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS again) who can only communicate with her missing child in another dimension via an electric household appliance (like POLTERGEIST).

Winona Ryder has improved as an actress significantly (she's rid herself of a lot of her child actress mannerisms--finally), and is affecting, although her voice makes her sound like she's still in her twenties.

by Anonymousreply 27011/16/2017

I hear dear forgotten Noni practically STEALS this sweet hidden little t.v. show!

by Anonymousreply 107/15/2016

I'm going to start watching it when I get to the end of Marco Polo, I have two episodes left.

by Anonymousreply 207/15/2016

R1 What movies has Goop been in lately?

by Anonymousreply 307/15/2016

I've seen 5 episodes so far. To me it doesn't quite have the atmosphere I'd hoped for. Winona Ryder is alright but the kid who plays her teenage son acts her off the screen. But then I've never seen him before so it's easier to see the character, whereas with Winona Ryder I still see Winona Ryder, even though she is a better actress now she was than in her 20s.

by Anonymousreply 407/15/2016

[quote] Gwyneth P., still an actual movie star

Oh, Goopy, did someone get a bout of amnesia? It's not 2001 anymore, love. You aren't even a TV star.

by Anonymousreply 507/15/2016

In episode 5 there's one scene that looks like a COMPLETE rip off of the black room, walking on water scenes in Under the Skin (that Scarlett Johansson alien movie)

by Anonymousreply 607/15/2016

The weird little girl with the very short hair really looks like a boy. It's not just the hair, she has a boy's face. Could this be to join in on the whole trans fad that's going on at the moment?

by Anonymousreply 707/15/2016

The 3 boys and the mysterious girl scenes are like ET if ET was an androgynous little girl.

by Anonymousreply 807/15/2016

Matthew Modine has aged terribly. He looks a hundred years old.

Ryder is much MUCH better than she used to be, but I know what you mean about only seeing Winona Ryder when you see her character, r4.

by Anonymousreply 907/15/2016

R9 Once you've seen enough of them, I think that inevitably happens with any actor who doesn't completely change their voice and/or appearance. She is better than she used to be (though I have a soft spot for her so I've never thought she was crap)

Modine looks pretty good for a man in his late 50s, he seems to have kept in shape. But there's one scene where you get a good look at his hands (when he comforts the weird little girl) and they look old.

by Anonymousreply 1007/15/2016

It's Matthew Modine's skin that looks so terrible, not his body. It's like a dinosaur's skin.

It's very slow-moving, and the three main boys and the girl with powers get an awful lot of screen time. It's rare to see children play such huge roles on a TV show these days.

by Anonymousreply 1107/15/2016

Very surprised (and depressed) to see the fate of Barb, the nerdy redhaired girl with the Tootsie eyeframes.

by Anonymousreply 1207/15/2016

I loved Barb wished they killed her friend stupid boyfriend instead.

I'm liking Winonna but she is too beautiful to play down on her luck mother.

It is a little bit like a more violent ET but I still think it's the best thing Netflix has done in a long time.

Good soundtrack too

Poor poor Barb.

You just know 11 is going make those 3 adorable little boys fly on their bikes .

by Anonymousreply 1307/15/2016

What genre would you most liken the series to ?

Sounds sci-fi or fantastical to me ............

I was hoping for a more straight out 'horror' vibe .......... is there anything creepy or scary or eerie about it at all ??

by Anonymousreply 1407/16/2016

Just saw the first four episodes. I am surprised how good the kids actors are. For me Winona is the weak link (so far Matthew Modine as the bad guy has not much to do other than being a sinister daddy to Eleven and sending some guy to some kind of portal to another dimension). Winona's character is so whiny and overacting. I wanted to strangle her when she struggled with the second phone and later on with the lights (not being long enough to get plugged in). The Sheriff is quite the bad-ass. By episode four at least the oldest son and the Sheriff starting to believe Winona's character.

But for me the real star of the show is the whole 80s feel that was quite dominant in the first few episodes (now, to me, it kind of fades into the backround, don't know if that makes sense? Like I am used to the look of the scenes and how they are staged and set up).

r12, I liked her, too.

by Anonymousreply 1507/16/2016

I like the kids except for the lead nerd (Will's best friend and Nancy's brother... can't remember what his name is), who is very, very stiff. But Eleven and the other boys are great. Dustin/Toothless is adorable.

I have not seen the final episode yet, so I'm not sure of Barb's final fate, but since Will is alive in the other dimension (so far as I've seen--I'm up until episode 5), I'm hoping she's alive too.

I love how the characters have the names of their era that no one really is given anymore: Joyce, Barb, Nancy, Lonnie...

by Anonymousreply 1607/16/2016

Do you have to jam the trans issue into every single thread regardless of relevancy??

by Anonymousreply 1707/16/2016

Netflix is turning into Tranny central. OITNB, Sense8, etc ...

by Anonymousreply 1807/16/2016

I'm pretty sure 11 said Barb was dead in one of the later episodes.

I learned my lesson with Lost so I hope every is explained in 8 chapters.

by Anonymousreply 1907/16/2016

Barb IS dead--we say her corpse in episode 7. That was sad. And her parents will never know (the govt. made them think she ran away from home).

by Anonymousreply 2007/16/2016

Did people say things like douchebag in the 80s? I thought that's a rather new term.

by Anonymousreply 2107/16/2016

Only two episodes in. I really like it so far.

by Anonymousreply 2207/17/2016

[quote]Did people say things like douchebag in the 80s? I thought that's a rather new term.

I noticed that too. Kind of like when Joan said "It is what it is" on a Mad Men episode set in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 2307/17/2016

[quote] Did people say things like douchebag in the 80s? I thought that's a rather new term.

I well remember that term from h.s. People said it.

by Anonymousreply 2407/17/2016

Winona is still beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2507/17/2016

Third episode really freaked me out. It was scary. Freaky.

I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 2607/17/2016

Each episode just gets better and better. Halfway through episode five now, and just loving the shit out of this show.

by Anonymousreply 2707/17/2016

The ending was good kinda creepy not warm and fuzzy like a Speilberg film usually is

Was the sheriff feeding Eleven?

by Anonymousreply 2807/17/2016

Without spoiling it... is it open to a season 2 or does it resolve? Is there a cliff-hanger or does it feel "complete"?

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2016

I want more NOW

I hope a year later the cast hasn't lost its charm

I'm really impressed with all the cast even the small parts like the sister of the lady in wheelchair. Or the old lady who works in police station

It's resolved but they give you hints it is not over.

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2016

SPOILERS:

So what we're left not understanding by the very end:

*Is Hopper in cahoots with the government and the people who ran the energy dept. research center?

*Is Hopper leaving food for Eleven in the woods? What happened to Eleven otherwise?

*Is Will Byers possessed by the remnants of the thing that had its tentacle down its throat, and why did he shift to the Upside Down dimnesion in his bathroom? Why didn't he tell his mother and brother about the slug thing he coughed up?

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2016

Is Mathew Modine the Sheriff?

by Anonymousreply 3207/17/2016

No, R32. He's the evil scientist.

by Anonymousreply 3307/17/2016

I think the ending is very 80s. You don't really get this picture perfect happy ending. I like how the show redeems Nancy's boyfriend who starts out as this selfabsorbed douche hanging out with those other two mean bitches and then at the teens' big showdown he basically saves the day.

[quote]*Is Hopper in cahoots with the government and the people who ran the energy dept. research center?

I believe he struck a deal to save (him and) his companions from getting killed for knowing to much. That could mean that he pledged some sort of allegence to them while potentially keeping them in the dark that Eleven may be still alive (leaving the pancakes in the box).

Looking at other boards it seems the general consesus is that it's quite popular so I guess there could be a second season, but then I fear they might screw it up as any other show. I rather hope they'll go for an anthology type of thing where each season features a different storyline and characters.

by Anonymousreply 3407/17/2016

Sorry, Looking at other boards it seems the general CONSENSUS is that it's quite popular

by Anonymousreply 3507/17/2016

Argh. Also "That could mean that he pledged some sort of ALLEGIANCE to them2

by Anonymousreply 3607/17/2016

The problem with making a series like this with young kids like this is that they age up fast... you can't really do multiple seasons easily because everything changes. Unless each story starts a year or so after the previous one (the way Harry Potter pulled it off... barely) it can get awkward.

I really do think this would be good as an anthology series.

by Anonymousreply 3707/17/2016

Who are these brothers and what have they done before? IMDb was no help

Anthrogy sounds good but I have became attached to the characters. Nancy loves Jonathan so I hope Steve becomes a early victim.

by Anonymousreply 3807/17/2016

I'm just damn glad Wynona is back. I grew up watching her, and I hope this is her comeback.

by Anonymousreply 3907/17/2016

The kids stole the show otherwise we would be talking about Wynona's comeback

She must have got a better agent I heard The Experimenter is good too.

by Anonymousreply 4007/17/2016

Did anyone else think the theme music sounded a little like X-Files?

by Anonymousreply 4107/18/2016

Speaking of, I love the music in this show...

by Anonymousreply 4207/18/2016

R34 I was still a bit gobsmacked that Nancy ended up back with Steve after the way he'd behaved. Maybe he did see the error of his ways but in real life I think he'd have put her off for good. They should have had showed them breaking up amicably and him handling it maturely and moving on.

by Anonymousreply 4307/18/2016

R25 They really tried to make her look haggard and worn out in this though.

by Anonymousreply 4407/18/2016

Really fun show, very 80s-esque. Love the John Carpenter-styled score and music.

by Anonymousreply 4507/18/2016

For R21 and R23 one of the greatest skits EVAH on Saturday Night Live was from the late 70s. See the video ink for an excerpt.

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2016

The lead boy (Mikey) was cast by Cary Fukunaga (directed 1st season of True Detective) for his planned version of Stephen King's "It". When Fukunaga clashed with the studio and quit, the kid was free to do Stranger Things. Now he's doing It with the new director. Plays the kid version of the motormouth disc jockey. Kind of the same story in a lot of ways.

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2016

This is what The Duffer Brothers say about season 2:

"We wanted to do a couple things with this season. We didn’t want to do The Killing thing. We wanted it to resolve that main thing of Will going missing in the first season. So in that sense, it is like an eight-hour movie. Now, we don’t answer all the questions by the end of the season – there are definitely some dangling threads. The hope is that it feels satisfying but that we left room and that if people respond to it we can go back into this world. But if we do get to go back, it’s not a second season as much as a sequel.”

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2016

I love, love, LOVED it... right up until the end. The defeat of the monster was too pat, the girl disappearing (and knowing she would) seemed too arbitrary... I had lots of issues with the ending.

Some bits were good... the first half of the final episode was great. But ... I dunno. It just didn't live up to the quality of everything that came before. I feel a bit let down.

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2016

Mikey looks like the long lost brother of Asa Butterfield.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2016

They did a good job casting kids that looked like they might actually be the sons of Winona Ryder.

by Anonymousreply 5107/19/2016

I really like it so far, thanks for the rec', DL.

by Anonymousreply 5207/19/2016

Only up to episode five, so I'm not going to read any other comments yet, but damn is this good.

by Anonymousreply 5307/19/2016

It sort of runs out of gas by the end (they could have done this in four as opposed to eight,) but it really held me for those first four, and the acting was terrific throughout. I thought Winona was wonderful and quite affecting in places. The lights scenes would have been ridiculous with many other actresses. She was asked to do a lot of dumb scifi stuff, and SOLD. IT. Great 80s atmosphere, so many references and homages. It's definitely up there with the best Netflix has to offer.

by Anonymousreply 5407/20/2016

I agree with you R49, although I thought the reviving of the son intercut with the death of the cop's daughter was quite powerfully done.

Eleven had to go that way though, didn't she? She had just melted like 15 people's brains. I was wondering if the monster was something she created and only she could destroy it?

Anyway, I loved the whole thing as well.

by Anonymousreply 5507/20/2016

I liked the ending maybe it wasn't the greatest at least it didn't go on and on and end unsatisfactory like Lost. One of the brothers said he didn't want to be like The Killing.

by Anonymousreply 5607/20/2016

It was great up until halfway through the final episode.

Then it sorta lost it.

by Anonymousreply 5707/20/2016

I binged on it a few days ago and it really was brilliant. Yes, the monster was defeated a bit too easily, but I have a horrible feeling that it'll be back in a second or hopefully third series. I loved Barb and was gutted that she died. I'd forgotten how much I loved Winona Ryder and my god, those kids were all pretty amazingly well-cast. And, yeah, the soundtrack. But that fucking moment in the woods and the deer? Jesus *christ*.

by Anonymousreply 5807/20/2016

I think the actress who plays Barb should come back as an evil cyborg disguised as Barb's identical cousin and her first victim of course is Steve....

by Anonymousreply 5907/21/2016

Really enjoyed this series. The Duffer brothers came out of nowhere and really impressed me. As others have said the child actors were remarkably talented, really carried their roles well.

What I really enjoyed in this series is the characters aren't dumb for the sake of the plot, they actually think and try to make intelligent decisions. So often people use characters acting like idiots in order to mine for greater conflict.

[quote] I was still a bit gobsmacked that Nancy ended up back with Steve after the way he'd behaved.

I thought it was an excellent twist. Rather than going the cliche route and have Nancy end up with the "rootable loser", they have Steve actually be a real complex character who does care about Nancy and wants to help. I always enjoy when things surprise me and don't go the predictable route.

by Anonymousreply 6007/24/2016

It was my type of show at all, too kiddie and Spielberg. And I even think I hate 80s pop now. Every song made me cringe. But it was watchable enough considering. Apparently they've made a The Exorcist show coming up soon. Hopefully better than the Damien thing they cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 6107/24/2016

[quote] Rather than going the cliche route and have Nancy end up with the "rootable loser", they have Steve actually be a real complex character who does care about Nancy and wants to help. I always enjoy when things surprise me and don't go the predictable route.

yes, I was quite surprised they didn't go the typical 80s teenager movie cliche where the outcast ends up with the beautiful popular girl. This is more like real life. Steve was a douche in the beginning but he redeemed himself by all his actions including rushing back in to bash the monster. He probably bought the camera for Jonathan. I didn't care for his 90s haircut but I thought he was much better looking than Jonathan.

by Anonymousreply 6207/24/2016

r6, I thought of that as well. It is effective though. Winona has decided to graduate to the shaky head school of acting (Katie Holmes is a graduate).

The monster isn't dead, Eleven just took him back to the Upside Down with her. Also Will coughing up the monster part.... will be have an Alien reference in the next season?

by Anonymousreply 6307/24/2016

R63 But then Under the Skin might have stolen that imagery from somewhere itself.

by Anonymousreply 6407/24/2016

The director/writers said they gave homage to past classics like ET, IT from Stephen King and even Alien. There is a poster of The Thing in Michael's bedroom and Hopper looks at a pod in the Upside-Down-World that pay homage to Alien.

by Anonymousreply 6507/24/2016

Did anyone know where the monster came from? Was this the monster in Eleven's mind and something she created?

by Anonymousreply 6607/24/2016

I think it was from the alternate demension.

by Anonymousreply 6707/24/2016

Dimension, excuse me.

by Anonymousreply 6807/24/2016

Eleven's backstory with her mother who was part of an experiment is very close to SK's Firestarter.

by Anonymousreply 6907/24/2016

Actually, the big inspiration of the show is Silent Hill, per the creators.

by Anonymousreply 7007/24/2016

Loved it! I was in high school in 1983 and they got a lot right. Binge watched it yesterday and today.

by Anonymousreply 7107/25/2016

I thought the sheriff was very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 7207/25/2016

Loved the show and how it captured the vibe of early 1980s Spielberg and Stephen King movies and books, with a great synth soundtrack straight out of John Carpenter. The only thing I wish they had done is used practical effects instead of CGI for the monster, as that would have been completely appropriate given the tone they were trying to recreate. I guess no one does practical effects anymore, probably due to cost.

Can't wait for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 7307/25/2016

The teenage girl's room and her clothing were spot on, that could have been me in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 7407/25/2016

This show i wacky as fuuuck..

by Anonymousreply 7507/26/2016

This show is my childhood!

by Anonymousreply 7607/27/2016

More!

by Anonymousreply 7707/29/2016

I LOVE THIS SHOW. I watched it over 2 days. I miss it. Lots of flaws but everything balanced out and it was just great.

by Anonymousreply 7807/29/2016

So if Gere really could be worth somewhere in the region in $250 million, would that make Julia Roberts a billionaire?

by Anonymousreply 7907/29/2016

Sorry. Datalounge doesn't seem to agree with my tablet.

by Anonymousreply 8007/29/2016

Just watched the whole thing. Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 8107/29/2016

Some of Winona's choices were weird at the 2/3 3/4 marks. Her choices? Or bad direction and/or script?

by Anonymousreply 8207/29/2016

Jonathan was a zitty creep. R62

by Anonymousreply 8307/29/2016

R55 11 didn't create the master. She met it in upside down world. And evil Mathew Moddine was wondering what it was so sent her to lure it and it slipped through into our world. The portals weren't really systematic or well explained, however. Whatever.

My take is 11 disappeared when she was exploding the monster because it took all her energy to do so. She vaporised.

As we all saw, the boy has some sort of alien in him.

Its not clear what deal the Chief of Police made. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 8407/29/2016

Flowerhead, the monster, is an interdimensional predator. Every predator has a method of securing prey. This one can warp in and out between dimensions to ambush prey. It can open portals in and out between dimensions, as we saw with the tree.

The Hawkins Lab people were messing with interdimensional transport for espionage and assassination purposes ... but didn't realize there's something else traveling the warp too, and they caught its attention, so when Eleven came back to our dimension, flowerhead followed.

by Anonymousreply 8507/29/2016

Now that that's out of the way ....

I adored this. We must have a second season, or a sequel, or whatever you want to call it. I'm sorry but if we don't see Eleven again and watch her develop more as a functioning person, but still be a TK badass when necessary, I will simply go postal.

This show was so full of winks to programs, movies and even video games that when it wasn't being scary (and at times it's genuinely frightening) it is a complete joy to watch them reveal themselves.

Many have been named already. Of course there's the "horror from another dimension" element as seen in King's novella "The Mist" and the amazing game "Half Life." Flowerhead is basically a vortigaunt with the head of a bullsquid -- two creatures from Half Life.

I loved everyone in this. I thought Winona was fantastic and she sold her character like a trooper, making this mousy, trashy, totally lovable little frau come to life.

Bravo Netflix, your best series yet. Bravo Duffers -- I loved your little movie "Hidden" enough that I posted a thread about it here right after I watched it. I'm glad they were involved.

I want more ... YESTERDAY!

by Anonymousreply 8607/29/2016

Forgot to mention:

"BARB!!!!!!" 😭😭😭

by Anonymousreply 8707/29/2016

They killed off the lesbian girl. And the gay boy was the one taken... What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 8807/29/2016

Pre Lesbian Barb.

by Anonymousreply 8907/29/2016

Article on Barb and her the actress.

by Anonymousreply 9007/29/2016

Barb is dead and that's all there is to it. 🙁

by Anonymousreply 9107/29/2016

BRING BARB BACK!!!

by Anonymousreply 9207/30/2016

It was a little silly that the monster "feeds" and abducted Barb presumably for that purpose, but then leaves her (very) meaty corpse to rot. I understand that we needed to see her and all, but it's a plot hole IMO.

I like the fact that Nancy got back with Steve. It leaves the possibility that Jonathan will find out that he likes boys in a few years.

Also, a small nitpick is that they should have made either Will Byers or Mike Wheeler blond. They looked very similar at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 9307/30/2016

R93 the monster seems to implant things in its prey rathe than devouring them. It did the same thing to Will. It may be that the worms eat the corpse and then the monster eats the worms, or it may be that this is how the monster breeds.

We don't know but I don't think it's a plot hole.

By the way, very interesting that we saw that small egg. Too big to be the egg Will's worm came out of, at least I think so. Maybe one of Barb's worms crawled off and cocooned itself and a baby monster hatched?

Those worms are obviously associated with the monster somehow, and now Will is sending them down into the sewer ....

by Anonymousreply 9407/30/2016

I thought Winona was terrible in opening. Shrill voice and weird arm gestures. Her face also seems frozen.

by Anonymousreply 9507/30/2016

Winona's eye area seemed frozen too.

by Anonymousreply 9607/30/2016

Think Nonnie looked great and gave a great perf.

by Anonymousreply 9708/01/2016

I'm late to this party, as I resisted watching until now. This show completely nailed a moment in time that I feel like has been gotten wrong so often. It was so well done in so many respects and the attention to detail was uncanny. Excellent cast and storyline, perfect title sequence and soundtrack, and costuming and hair was ace. The whole thing was nearly flawless. I have mixed feelings about a season 2. Sometimes things are better left as is rather than trying to squeeze another story out of it.

by Anonymousreply 9808/07/2016

Am I alone in thinking most of the child actors just weren't talented enough for the series to be truly compelling? Especially during the suspenseful scenes.

by Anonymousreply 9908/07/2016

Ryder can't convincingly play a mother. Her interaction with her kids seemed so stilted.

by Anonymousreply 10008/07/2016

I thought that at first too, r100, but I think as the series progressed, she became more believable. The role itself is kind of one dimensional, like Dee Wallace in E.T., but I think she made the best of it and sold it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 10108/07/2016

[quote]Am I alone in thinking most of the child actors just weren't talented enough for the series to be truly compelling?

Most people (including myself), thought the exact opposite. I found the child actors quite impressive and compelling. And often child "acting" can ruin things for me.

by Anonymousreply 10208/07/2016

I'm baffled by the effusive praise for this very mediocre show. Everything about it is amateurish. I don't want to shit on people who enjoy it but consider me one of the people who think that it's crap from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 10308/07/2016

Winona is great in this. So are the kids and older brother

by Anonymousreply 10408/07/2016

R103, you would be completely wrong on every level, by every criteria imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 10508/07/2016

*CRITERION (singular)

by Anonymousreply 10608/07/2016

Most people who watch this show love it.

by Anonymousreply 10708/07/2016

So did Ryder go from playing perpetual twenty-somethings/waiflets straight to playing a 40-ish suburban mom of teenagers (who looks like an "old girl") with nothing in between?

by Anonymousreply 10808/07/2016

She shoplifted in the interim.

by Anonymousreply 10908/07/2016

Maybe your enjoyment of this show depends on if you were around in 1983? The nostalgia factor alone sold me.

by Anonymousreply 11008/11/2016

R110 Well that would pretty much rule out the entire youth demographic. (to remember 1983 you'd have to be born in the 70s)

I don't think you need to remember the 80s or need to have seen lots of 80s films to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 11108/12/2016

So people enjoy ST because it reminds them of other, better movies? Why not just rewatch ET?

by Anonymousreply 11208/12/2016

I saw Super 8 after Stranger Things and thought ST was better. The kids in ST were more entertaining and memorable.

by Anonymousreply 11308/12/2016

The thing it most reminded me of was Stephen King's It (the TV movie/miniseries), but it was better than that ('It' is a bit crap, haven't read the book btw)

It's only like ET in the scenario of the weird girl and the 3 boys hiding her is similar but it doesn't feel like ET atmosphere-wise (it doesn't try to copy the Spielberg touch and there's certainly no John Williams-style music!). Twin Peaks has been mentioned by some but to me it doesn't feel at all like that.

by Anonymousreply 11408/12/2016

R108 After the shoplifting trial she took 4 years off (bar a cameo in a movie based on JT Leroy's (fake) life story) then returning in 2006. Her first "mom" role was as Spock's mom in Star Trek (2009), where she was made up to look like a 50-something. Her first normal suburban mom role was in The Iceman (2012). Her other roles in this period included the the retiring ballerina in Black Swan, druggie/narc (A Scanner Darkly), a strung-out anchorwoman (The Informers), a deadly femme fatale (Sex & Death 101), the wife of AA founder Bill Wilson (When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story) and a woman who humps a ventriloquist dummy (The Ten). And a few thankless girlfriend/love interest roles (Darwin Awards, The Last Word, Stay Cool)

by Anonymousreply 11508/12/2016

I am crazy for this show. An interview with the Duffer bros quoted them as saying they were trying to capture the sense of watching something that could have been made in the 80s more than just direct visual quotes from films/directors of that time, although those are certainly there, and I think they nailed it. What struck me most is the feeling or the memory of the feeling of being a latchkey kid who had to find entertainment without screens and connect with friends without social media. The series shows the freedom we had to be outside and concoct plans that no one else was privy to and that it was sometimes frightening. The score and soundtrack are PERFECT. Most of the articles written on ST mention nods to Stephen King and Spielberg, and Carpenter but many missed the references to John Hughes. Not embarrassed to admit I've already watched the entire series twice. I can't wait for S2.

by Anonymousreply 11608/12/2016

Noony slayed as a hillbilly mom, maybe she was just playing her trashy self?

by Anonymousreply 11708/12/2016

Just read r90's linked interview with Shannon Purser. This young lady needs to be very careful. First role, only 19, and all this internet attention? I'm getting an uneasy Rebecca Schaeffer or Jodie Foster feeling with this one. I hope I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11808/13/2016

The soundtrack is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 11908/13/2016

Concern Troll alert at r118

by Anonymousreply 12008/13/2016

What a bizarre thing to say r118

by Anonymousreply 12108/13/2016

I knew from the first episode this was filmed in Georgia and not Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 12208/13/2016

Winona's voice still has that teenager/young girl quality and every time I heard her my mind went straight to reciting lines from Heathers....

HEATHER, why are you such a MEGA BITCH?

My teenage angst has a body count

Are we going to prom or are we going to hell?

by Anonymousreply 12308/13/2016

"Take me away from all this death."

by Anonymousreply 12408/13/2016

I think the Barb character is so popular because she's pear shaped and ugly and the tumblr SJW types think she is probably just like them. Asexual.

by Anonymousreply 12508/13/2016

I just finished the season.

I LOVE this show!

I grew up in the 80s and this show is such a love letter to the era, bringing together all the best storytelling tropes of the time. A perfect tone blending of Spielberg, Stephen King, John Hughes and a lot of other classic 80s media. I saw threads of ET, Third Encounters, Goonies, Stand by Me....the list could go on. Some say it's a rip off, but I saw it as a wonderful homage to the genre and to seamlessly blend all this together into a compelling story with good acting and writing was such a treat to see.

What I love most about it was the earnestness of the storytelling, which is so quintessential 80s. Gone are the cynical undertones, sardonic one-liners, and quick ADHD jump-cut editing that is so ubiquitous in today's postmodern landscape. This show totally embraces that straightforward, modernist narrative that was so prevalent in the 80s...which was so refreshing to revisit again.

Can't wait for the next season.

by Anonymousreply 12608/20/2016

If there is one.

There has been no word on a second season yet.

by Anonymousreply 12708/20/2016

There will definitely be a second season. Ryder's career has been completely revitalized and Netflix has one of its biggest hits by word of mouth ever.

by Anonymousreply 12808/20/2016

It was just ok for me. I don't know if I'll give a second season a try.

by Anonymousreply 12908/20/2016

Justice for Barbara but no Barbara

by Anonymousreply 13008/20/2016

R126 References to 70-80s movies in Stranger Things :

by Anonymousreply 13108/20/2016

I'm addicted to stranger things.Those who grew up in the 80s would appreciate it more, I guess. I mean, this is the album of our happy childhood.

by Anonymousreply 13208/20/2016

I also have to echo the consensus here that Winona is still so beautiful.

Honestly, whether it's amazing genes or plastic surgery (or combo of both) she's one of the most beautiful women on earth in my opinion, and still rocking magazine covers at 44.

by Anonymousreply 13308/20/2016

A "Stranger Things" film reference glossary:

by Anonymousreply 13408/20/2016

[quote]Mikey looks like the long lost brother of Asa Butterfield.

Nah, those cheekbones are pure Cillian Murphy territory.

by Anonymousreply 13508/20/2016

[quote] I love, love, LOVED it... right up until the end. The defeat of the monster was too pat, the girl disappearing (and knowing she would) seemed too arbitrary... I had lots of issues with the ending.

Yes, the ending was very predictable and common, which was even more disappointing after the brilliance of the rest of the season.

A braver show, perhaps one filmed in Britain, could have ended without the happily ever after. [If you haven't seen the 5-part gem "Dead Set", you are missing out!]

by Anonymousreply 13608/20/2016

You can tell that the Duffer Brothers 'n co are excited that the show did so well. I don't think they expected this.

Also Winona is still beautiful after all these years. I'm glad she is getting the spotlight again after seeing her in cameos in The Black Swan and Star Trek these past few years.

[quote] I was still a bit gobsmacked that Nancy ended up back with Steve after the way he'd behaved. Maybe he did see the error of his ways but in real life I think he'd have put her off for good. They should have had showed them breaking up amicably and him handling it maturely and moving on.

Steve was pretty complex. He was a bully but he loved Nancy. He was upset when he thought she cheated. He felt bad when he realized she didn't cheat. He stood up to his friend for her and then he risked his life to save her instead of doing the jerk thing and abandoning her to the monster. He wasn't such a bad guy, he was just a teenager.

Also this just happened. I'm glad they're paying some fan service to a character that caught on in a way no one thought would. I'm also happy for the actress getting so much attention in her first, small role. I'm just hoping for flashbacks where she can appear on screen again.

by Anonymousreply 13708/20/2016

Yeah, a lot of unresolved questions about Barbara's death.

I mean, are they all going to let her poor parents believe she's a missing runaway for the rest of their lives? Then again, how does one tell someone their daughter was kidnapped by an alien monster and killed in another dimension?

by Anonymousreply 13808/21/2016

VarietyVerified account ‏@Variety 8h8 hours ago

#StrangerThings: The Duffer Brothers promise 'justice for Barb' in Season 2

by Anonymousreply 13908/21/2016

I want Chief Hopper to poke me in the pooper.

by Anonymousreply 14008/21/2016

The character Nancy is obviously inspired by A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

The way her boyfriend climbs in through her bedroom window.

The way she cries over her friend's death and her mother calls after her, "Nancy! Nancy!"

Although, the actress looks a little more like Rooney Mara.

by Anonymousreply 14108/21/2016

Nancy's mom looks more like Heather Lagenkamp than Nancy herself. That hair!

I couldn't look at Natalia Dyer (Nancy) without cringing about how bony she is. Get that ED sorted before S2, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 14208/21/2016

Actually the actress that plays Nancy reminds me of Mia Sara.

by Anonymousreply 14308/21/2016

R142 I think she looks fat!

Seriously though, the actress looks like she's at death's door in this pic.

by Anonymousreply 14408/21/2016

Maybe if the psychic kid would have been a boy I would have watched it. But it really does nothing for me the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 14508/21/2016

There's a sorta cute crush story line, R145, but for all intents and purposes, that character is practically androgynous. Except for the ET dress she's made to wear for part of the time, she's also very boyish. These are nerdy middle school 80s kids; they're about Dungeons & Dragons and Radio Shack, not gender.

by Anonymousreply 14608/21/2016

Chief Hopper looks like Peter Krause.

by Anonymousreply 14708/21/2016

I don't watch this trash show, but R144 has no cheekbones at all.

She looks like a fucking peasant.

by Anonymousreply 14808/21/2016

To the "douchebag" posters early on:

I was in my early teens in 1985, and I heard my older brother say "you're such a douchebag" for the first time. I had NO idea what it meant, so I asked him later. His explanation, although now fuzzy, was something about a "thing you squirt up there to clean it out."

Think about it. Women today don't douche. It's considered an old-school and unnecessary practice.

by Anonymousreply 14908/21/2016

Just caught this. Watched a couple of "chapters" last night. Very good. Winona is excellent and Emmy worthy.

by Anonymousreply 15008/27/2016

Watched it based on the hype, but I have to agree with the minority: amateurish and hard to watch, especially the last couple of episodes. LOTS of kid actor screen time, so beware if that's not your thing.

by Anonymousreply 15108/27/2016

Nancy's mom is Dr Faye from Mad Men. Police chief played gyllenhaal's Texas lover I'm broleback mountain.

by Anonymousreply 15208/27/2016

Whomever cast this kid deserves an award:

by Anonymousreply 15308/29/2016

[quote]Winona is excellent and Emmy worthy.

God no. Is that a joke?

by Anonymousreply 15408/29/2016

JUSTICE FOR BARB!

by Anonymousreply 15508/30/2016

Stranger Things has officially been renewed for 9-episode season two that will be added to Netflix next year.

by Anonymousreply 15608/31/2016

Woo!

(one extra episode!)

by Anonymousreply 15708/31/2016

Barb getting her own justice in season 2. hahaha

by Anonymousreply 15808/31/2016

Jimmy Fallon did a skit with the kids tonight where Barb comes back and rags them out for not looking for her.

by Anonymousreply 15908/31/2016

Lol

by Anonymousreply 16009/01/2016

that skit was funny funny funny!

by Anonymousreply 16109/01/2016

I don't get the Barbmania.

by Anonymousreply 16209/01/2016

R162 there's nothing much to get. Barb was a wallflower/voice of reason/frigid budding lezzie, and she is dispatched despicably. Viewers identify with Barb only to be horrified by her bleak fake.

by Anonymousreply 16309/01/2016

The Duffer brothers were in CBS This Morning today. Netflix is giving Stranger Things a second season. I think it will be 9 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 16409/01/2016

Was the kid with the speech impediment a nod to Steven Spielberg himself?

by Anonymousreply 16509/02/2016

The Duffer brothers' script was rejected by all of Hollywood but this gave then the time they needed to expertly cast the kid roles after auditioning thousands. I dig the series and think they've captured the ethos rather well. Love all the references and nods to the '80s TV and movies: Goonies, E.T., Back to the Future, Poltergeist, even Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 16609/02/2016

I'm in the minority who found it underwhelming. I don't understand the OTT praise at all.

Will season 2 bring more 80 references? 90s references? Maybe something slightly original?

by Anonymousreply 16709/02/2016

I vote Nonie for an an Emmy award!

by Anonymousreply 16809/02/2016

[quote] they've captured the ethos rather well.

How pretentious!

by Anonymousreply 16909/02/2016

R167 season 2 will be set in 1984. More 80s reference, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 17009/02/2016

Uh, the 80s setting is a huge part of the appeal. It's the whole fucking POINT. If you can't handle that then maybe this isn't the show for you.

by Anonymousreply 17109/02/2016

R163 sorry but it is still a bit mystifying. She's that spinstery friend who doesn't want Nancy to have any fun because she's afraid it will hurt their own relationship. And the fact is, she was wrong about Joe -- he's not a bad guy at all.

Then she gets killed by the monster, largely to demonstrate to us how awful a fate that can be. Dying is, in fact, the primary purpose of the character. Sure, while she's still breathing she's a sympathetic character, but the fact that her character has been so embraced by the public is something of a lark I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 17209/02/2016

R171 Exactly! The '80s look, feel, and pop cultural references are part of the appeal. Is there such a thing as an "original" movie or series any more? If there is, it's not coming to mind immediately; ideas are constantly borrowed and hopefully reinvented in interesting ways. More often than not, it's Hollywood schlock.

by Anonymousreply 17309/02/2016

Why are the 80s props and references so appealing? There is nothing at all "80s" about the monster story.

Is it so you can say, "Oh yeah, I remember when people dressed like that!" Is that the appeal of the 80s setting? Sincere question, I'm not judging, just curious.

by Anonymousreply 17409/02/2016

R174 This explains the lure of nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 17509/02/2016

R174, did you live through the 80s? It's pretty amazing that you think the only 80s references are in the way people dress.

by Anonymousreply 17609/02/2016

Because the 80s is the decade before the last great decade (the 90s). Nothing has been original this century.

by Anonymousreply 17709/02/2016

Here's toothless cutie Gaten Matarazzo singing the national anthem in 2014, with the voice of an angel:

by Anonymousreply 17809/04/2016

^ If anyone clicks on that Youtube video, I've just looked it up and turns out that the Heather Matarazzo who uploaded that is not the Heather Matarazzo from Welcome to the Dollhouse and Princess Diaries.

by Anonymousreply 17909/04/2016

And Gaten posted about Orlando. I'm sure DL will approve of his growing celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 18009/04/2016

The actress who plays Nancy actually reminded me of Emmy Rossum more than anyone else.

I sort of wished there was a direct homage to Carrie with Eleven causing the car carrying Steve's bf and his bitch gf to explode. And all we'd see from it would be her gum which she never seemed to stop chewing.

by Anonymousreply 18109/04/2016

R152 - I'm a Mad Men fanatic and I didn't realize Nancy's mom was the same actress that played Dr. Faye. Thanks for pointing that out!

by Anonymousreply 18209/04/2016

[quote]season 2 will be set in 1984

Looking forward to it, I graduated in 1984

by Anonymousreply 18309/04/2016

Why does the little girl who plays Eleven still have a British accent if she moved to Florida when she was three? Who does she think she is, Gillian Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 18409/04/2016

R184 Millie Bobby Brown", the actress who played"Eleven, "can perfectly rap Nicki Minaj's verse from "Monster", OMG she gave me AnnE or Natalie Portman vibes after I Heard that:

by Anonymousreply 18509/04/2016

season 2 will be set in 1984.

what famous horror films are from that year? Any guesses as possible references?

by Anonymousreply 18609/04/2016

The little actress who plays Eleven is coming off as a bit of a show off in interviews

by Anonymousreply 18709/04/2016

Eleven reminds me of a young Natalie Portman.

by Anonymousreply 18809/04/2016

Natalie looking very Eleven here.

by Anonymousreply 18909/04/2016

What's with all the homophobia in this show, constantly calling each other queer? Wtf?!?

by Anonymousreply 19009/04/2016

It's set in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 19109/04/2016

Hi guys, hot scoop here, season 2 will be set in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 19209/04/2016

Yeah, that little girl is shaping up to be quite a little diva.

by Anonymousreply 19309/05/2016

R190, it's a realistic portrayal of the 80's and Ronnie's "Morning in America." It'd be a bit less homophobic if set in the present, or maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 19409/05/2016

R192 Duh!

Eleven is AnnE, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 19509/05/2016

Millie Bobby Brown is a terrible name . She should change it NOW.

by Anonymousreply 19609/05/2016

She's should change it to Thoroughly Modern Millie.

by Anonymousreply 19709/05/2016

In the early 80s people tossed around "the N word" a lot more than they do now but Netflix would get shut down if that word was uttered in its show. Of course, homophobia is still A-Ok.

by Anonymousreply 19809/05/2016

[quote]What's with all the homophobia in this show, constantly calling each other queer? Wtf?!?

Go watch some John Hughes movies or other popular 80s stuff, casual homophobia was the norm even in popular mainstream culture.

by Anonymousreply 19909/05/2016

My friend just recommended this to me today. I'm going to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 20009/05/2016

You're correct r199. In Monster Squad (1986 or 1987) the kids call someone a homo twice in the first five minutes of the movie. It was totally normal for that time to hear that word.

I was watching Lethal Weapon the other day and Riggs was on fire and the other guy was rolling him on the ground to put it out and Riggs asked "what are you, a fag?"

It's less common nowadays to hear that, but in the 80's it was everywhere. Those are just two examples off the top of my head

by Anonymousreply 20109/05/2016

I'm just starting episode 3 but still don't recognize Mathew Modine. Which character is he?

by Anonymousreply 20209/05/2016

R202, he plays the mad scientist (Dr. Martin Brenner). He's not young looking anymore, but has grey hair now. Still, he's very handsome for his age.

Oh, Modine mentioned that he's having the best time of his life working on Stranger Things with Ryder and the kids.

by Anonymousreply 20309/05/2016

I don't mind aging, so much, but I hate it see my peers as old people on screen!

by Anonymousreply 20409/05/2016

R203, you mean he HAD the best time of his life. He won't be back for Season 2.

Why couldn't Eleven cause his neck to snap or his eyes to bleed like the others?

by Anonymousreply 20509/05/2016

R205, I thought the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 20609/05/2016

Thanks, R203, btw.

by Anonymousreply 20709/05/2016

[quote]I was watching Lethal Weapon the other day and Riggs was on fire and the other guy was rolling him on the ground to put it out and Riggs asked "what are you, a fag?"

I wonder if Mel ad-libbed that.

by Anonymousreply 20809/05/2016

R184 Because presumably she moved back to England and spent most of her childhood there? It seems that she's from Bournemouth, like former child star Christian Bale.

by Anonymousreply 20909/05/2016

R190, that's the way the 80s were, and why many of us older gays do not appreciate the use of "queer" instead of Gay.

by Anonymousreply 21009/05/2016

R163 She doesn't get much screentime at all though.

by Anonymousreply 21109/05/2016

R'98, I noted that The Stranger things kept the homophobia and sexism of the 80s, but skipped the racism.

by Anonymousreply 21209/05/2016

R190 Well, you see it's set in 1983, and at that time there was this new thing called AIDS that people were concerned about and it was thought to come from gay sex...

by Anonymousreply 21309/05/2016

R196 It's such a funny name for a 12 year old English girl. I wonder if Millie is short for Millicent (which is a VERY old fashioned name)

by Anonymousreply 21409/05/2016

I've watched a couple interviews with the young cast and the little girl monopolizes the conversation, I think the boys defer to her to be polite. Funny that somebody called her AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 21509/05/2016

Does anyone know what year the second season will take place in? TIA!!!

by Anonymousreply 21609/05/2016

I thought the series started strong, sagged in the middle like an old mattress, then rallied at the very end. Just don't ask too many questions or try to make too much sense out of any of it. Two thumbs up.

by Anonymousreply 21709/05/2016

It will take place in 1984 which makes sense since the last sequence in the season took place at Christmas 1983.

The Duffer brothers have said they originally planned to have the second season take place twenty years later (like Stephen King's It) but decided to keep the kids in it for at least one more season.

by Anonymousreply 21809/05/2016

[quote] [R203], you mean he HAD the best time of his life. He won't be back for Season 2.

Actually, the Duffer brothers have implied in interviews he's not really dead and will be back.

by Anonymousreply 21909/05/2016

Modine's character can still appear in flashbacks or as someone who survived the attack, but is now part monster himself (like some kind of werewolf).

by Anonymousreply 22009/05/2016

Nonie looks great in this recent interview.

by Anonymousreply 22109/06/2016

Those of you questioning the casual homophobia of the 80s should watch the Celluloid Closet. Yes, movies for kids and teens were awash with homophobia, as was all of pop culture. The 80s were a very homophobic time, more so than the preceding two decades. A lot of progress was lost to AIDS backlash and hysteria in the Reagan era.

by Anonymousreply 22209/06/2016

I enjoyed season one but wish they would leave well enough alone, which of course they can't. Also, Winona's performance was a little embarrassing to me. All nervous smoking and shaking hands.

by Anonymousreply 22309/06/2016

Nonie was great, and you're not!

by Anonymousreply 22409/06/2016

Nonie Nonie Nonie Nonie Nonie !!!!

by Anonymousreply 22509/06/2016

[quote] Winona's performance was a little embarrassing to me

It's hard to act hysterical for 8 hours covering a period of weeks.

by Anonymousreply 22609/06/2016

[quote] Also, Winona's performance was a little embarrassing to me. All nervous smoking and shaking hands.

Agreed. I found her a weak link, her character was pretty one note.

by Anonymousreply 22709/06/2016

I was surprised to learn that Eleven was a girl. Am I the only one who thought that she was very boyish looking?

In the final scenes, her wee boobies are apparent, though.

by Anonymousreply 22809/06/2016

R218 I think The Duffer brothers also said that they want the kids to grow up with the series a la "Boyhood".

And I thought Modine's white hair was a reference to Village of the Damned . Another woman from his team also had a white hair.

by Anonymousreply 22909/06/2016

The homophobic insults were all from unlikeable characters (the bullies, Will's dad) so I don't get why anyone is complaining. None of the kids or leads said anything anti-gay. If anything it was to show that Will is a budding gayling (no one else was targeted with the slurs) and his sexuality will probably be explored when he grows up through the series.

by Anonymousreply 23009/06/2016

The emphasis on Will's creativity and sensitivity were not accidental. He is obviously the gay character. It's even implied Winona left his father due to his homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 23109/06/2016

[quote]It's even implied Winona left his father due to his homophobia.

I don't recall this at all. But yes, they dropped some definite hints that WIll could be gay.

by Anonymousreply 23209/06/2016

That would be awesome if they did a gay coming-of-age story inside of this this Spielberg/Stephen King/John Hughes mash-up they're building.

by Anonymousreply 23309/06/2016

That WOULD be awesome. But I'm not holding my breath.

by Anonymousreply 23409/06/2016

I think it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 23509/07/2016

A gay coming of age story requires some originality. It ain't gonna be on this show.

by Anonymousreply 23609/07/2016

Casual homophobia was pretty prevalent in the 80s wasn't it? Like calling someone a "fag" was the worst insult ever. Makes you realize how times have changed.

Thought it was just a general all-purpose insult for kids who weren't into sports, e.g. the 4 D&D playing nerds

by Anonymousreply 23709/07/2016

I'm on the fifth episode now. So far, so good. Not what I expected.

by Anonymousreply 23809/07/2016

R237 read R222.

by Anonymousreply 23909/07/2016

There is a gay coming of age story on The Fosters right now and its pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 24009/08/2016

Haven't read the entire thread since I have a few more episodes to watch. Hope to get to them today.

Has anyone mentioned the overall story familiarity to Dean Koontz's 'Watchers' (two escapees from a secret facility, one 'good' and one 'a monster'). It was the first thing that struck me. 'Watchers' was also made into a bad movie starting DL fave Corey Haim.

by Anonymousreply 24109/08/2016

[quote]The emphasis on Will's creativity and sensitivity were not accidental. He is obviously the gay character.

Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 24209/13/2016

I binged watched it over 3 days and really liked it. I'm a child of the 80s, so I really loved all the references to that time. I loved that the whole cast looked like real people and not models. Nancy looked like real life pretty, not Hollywood gorgeous. Same for her boyfriend Steve. Someone like Steve would have been considered a hottie back in my school in the 80s, especially since he drove a BMW. I have a thing for David Harbour as Chief Hopper. Noble, tall (6'3), beefy, smarter than he first appears, and sexy. Sign me up!

I thought all the actors did a great job. Winona Ryder's nervous energy worked in this role. Harbour really sold his character as the grieving father who was motivated to find Ryder's son since he knew the pain of losing a child. All the child actors did a great job. Usually child actors annoy me, but this lot had me rooting for them. I agree with a poster upthread. Natalia Dyer as Nancy gave me Mia Sara vibes.

Looking forward to Season 2!

by Anonymousreply 24309/13/2016

[quote]Natalia Dyer as Nancy gave me Mia Sara vibes.

Natalia Dyer as Nancy gave me Karen Carpenter vibes.

by Anonymousreply 24409/13/2016

It looks as if she stuck her head through one of those cardboard cutouts at the fair.

by Anonymousreply 24509/13/2016

The sheriff has BDF.

by Anonymousreply 24609/13/2016

Season 2 teaser trailer

by Anonymousreply 24709/26/2016

I finished this season over the weekend. I thought it was great. The quality took an ever so slight dip after the first episode. It was still a great season. The kids, especially Eleven and the toothless one, were standouts.

Now onto the nitpicking.

In first episode Winona delivered too many of her lines in hysterical uptalk.

Jonathan's hair was distracting in every episode. He must have a receding hairline. That's the only explanation for it. He queened out when he was in the forest screaming for Nancy. "Nancy! Nancy!" Nancy, indeed!

At one point during the night when they were making and testing the salt pool after calling the teacher I thought, "really, you did all this in a couple of hours?" It's possible I guess but it seemed like a lot of stuff to happen in a short period of time.

My biggest gripe was finding out the monster didn't eat Will. Why not? Didn't it eat everyone else? If it wanted to use Will as an incubator why didn't it do that right after he was captured?

by Anonymousreply 24809/27/2016

My biggest nitpick was: If the monster crossed the dimensions because was attracted by blood (only bleeding people were attacked) why did it stalk and attack Will? He wasn't bleeding,

by Anonymousreply 24909/28/2016

R249, that's a good point. The monster also ate the scientist guy at the beginning. He wasn't bleeding either. Maybe in season 2 they'll find a way to explain it.

by Anonymousreply 25009/28/2016

Police chief, Jim Hopper, played by David Harbour, was in Brokeback Mountain. He sports a very nice VPL in the first episode of Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 25110/05/2016

R251, for the longest time I was trying to figure out where I saw David Harbour. He was the guy who seduces Jake in Brokeback Mountain.

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 25210/05/2016

I was impressed by the way the got the sets, costumes, cars, etc. right for the year 1983, especially poor Barb and Karen Wheeler's hair and clothes. The mean girl with the red hair from Nancy Wheeler's clique had been 'wigged' by the hair department and didn't look 'period' at all.

by Anonymousreply 25310/06/2016

On a scale of 1 to 10, how gay is Datalounge?

Answer:

by Anonymousreply 25410/06/2016

R249, maybe he was bleeding a little. He fell off his bike, remember?

by Anonymousreply 25510/06/2016

My mother had a Karen Wheeler 'do in the early eighties. Similar colour, too. Then, unfortunately, it was the Cher years. *shudder*

by Anonymousreply 25610/06/2016

R255, didn't he fall off his bike because he was being chased by the monster?

by Anonymousreply 25710/07/2016

i wanted to like it more than i did... it was good but i had high expectations after all my friends raved about it

by Anonymousreply 25801/01/2017

It sounds ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 25901/01/2017

It's excellent. It's like what indie cinema used to be, when there was actual character development.

by Anonymousreply 26001/01/2017

A little too overhyped, but quite enjoyable, especially if you are an 80s kid. There were definitely plotholes and wtf moments, like when the wall opened up and the kid is right behind the goop and Winona just stands there instead of taking the ax to try to reach/free him. When it closes back up is when she decides to break through! I was happy that they didn't follow cliches, like Steve being douche and Hopper pulling a scam on Brennan about 11's whereabouts. I was actually shocked he really sold her out. His guilt about that might be why he leaves the leftovers and eggos in case 11 is out there. Although how does he know that she likes eggos and ate leftovers unless Mike told him?

Another thing I felt was bizarre was that none of the kids seemed to have parents except for Mike. I know it was the 80s, but it was a bit unbelievable that the kids were out all hours of the night and then at the hospital, after everything that happenened, only Mike's mom was there (I think).

I was also surprised that they didn't cast hot guys as the teenage males. I found both boys to be weird looking and kind of fugly. I have to believe that the other characters who went into the upside down without masks are going have some repercussions, albeit fewer than Will. I hope Barb will be back too.

by Anonymousreply 26103/28/2017

Barb is dead. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 26203/28/2017

Trailer for the second season released at Comic-Con.

by Anonymousreply 26307/22/2017

Kudos to the team that made the trailer, it's great. The laugh from thriller at the end was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 26407/22/2017

Final trailer.

by Anonymousreply 26510/13/2017

Millie Bobby Brown gets on my nerves in interviews, she seems to be a drama queen attention seeker. But loved the show and am excited for the new season.

by Anonymousreply 26610/13/2017

[quote], she seems to be a drama queen attention seeker.

Have you ever known any teenagers lol?

I can't imagine growing up in the public eye, *yikes*, many things I did in my adolescence I would be quite embarrassed about.

by Anonymousreply 26710/13/2017

I didn't like this show at all. I lasted 3 episodes and I was done. And I really wanted to like it.

by Anonymousreply 26810/14/2017

Drama queen attention seeker=actor, R266.

by Anonymousreply 26910/14/2017

Only watched 3 episodes so far but:

1) I'm upset they shot the guy who owned the diner when the scientists/henchmen found 11 eating there. The actor also plays Toby on This Is Us.

2) The boyfriend is the actor from the "Ferris Bueller" type Domino's commercial

As for the show - LOVING IT!

by Anonymousreply 27011/16/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!