Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Magic Mike XXL

This was a really bad movie!

by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2020 4:36 PM

I was appalled. It was like a low-budget grindhouse movie- but with men instead of Russ Meyer vixens.

Wayyy too much Jada Pinkett-Smith, badly miscast (as she is in anything).

And peculiarly unsexy.

I wonder if the actors knew they were knee-deep in shit? Or if they just don't know the difference?

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2016 3:07 AM

It was dull, boring, utterly lacking in manflesh, and unsexy.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2016 4:02 AM

You hoes are insane. Its a great movie but if you're looking for a typical male-stripper film i see where you would be disappointed. I loved the movie. The story was good and i like the retro art house direction of the film. Again- I understand the disappointment but i thought it was a great film and better than the first. Its more of an art house film than the popcorn flick the first one was.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2016 4:07 AM

Dancing was fab. Was there a story or plot?

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2016 4:11 AM

Jada Pinkett Smith should have been nominated for an Oscar for her performance, but the Academy is racist.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2016 4:13 AM

Too bad the white guy with yellow skin wasn't in it. He would have made it better.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2016 3:28 PM

I mean, JESUS CHRIST this is a bad movie! Why is there almost no stripping? What were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2016 2:26 PM

I liked this better than the first one and Jada was fine in the movie. The only part that made me cringe was the scene with Andie Mcdowell.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2016 2:30 PM

It sure was!

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2016 2:56 PM

[quote]This was a really bad movie!

The thing is...you expected it not to be?

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2016 3:15 PM

OP: You had to watch it to find that out?

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2016 3:21 PM

It could have been bad-good, like "Mannequin." Instead it was just bad-bad, like "Mannequin 2: On the Move."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2016 3:26 PM

Aww i like Mannequin 2. At least MM XXL 2 had a good soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2016 3:43 PM

Anything interesting was at the end and in longshot. Bullshit.

And "Stripper Convention." Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2016 4:23 PM

Apparently, it's a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2016 4:38 PM

They tried to go deep and make it for thoughtful. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2016 6:52 PM

Jesus Christ this was a terrible movie! I feel we need to continue to talk about how terrible it was.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2016 4:25 PM

Lets be grateful that Cody Horn wasn't in this one.

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2016 4:38 PM

Hollywood is mortified by male flesh or too much male flesh so how does one make a movie with male strippers and not get too mortified? The answer : Magic Mike XXL

They know and we know that the majority of women don't care about male strippers or else there would be a club on each street corner. As it is now, you're lucky to find one catering for women in any city.

Only the gays love male objectification and Hollywood doesn't want to make a mainstream film objectifying men for gays

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2016 4:48 PM

[Quote] Only the gays love male objectification and Hollywood doesn't want to make a mainstream film objectifying men for gays

No they're sticking with television for that.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2016 4:54 PM

My only shock: That anyone was shocked that it was a horrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2016 4:55 PM

It was better than part one which was full of plot holes. Jada Pinkett was definitely the worst part of the movie. The dancing was better this time around.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2016 4:57 PM

i tried to watch it, had to turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2016 5:23 PM

Today was the Razzies, and I thought of this movie.

It didn't win any, but it should have!

Jesus Christ, this is a bad movie!

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2017 6:19 PM

[quote]And peculiarly unsexy.

Both Magic Mike movies were shockingly unsexy. It's like they purposely refused to give the audience what they wanted

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2017 6:21 PM

It's called bait and switch. The audience expects something (like hot stripping action) and get something totally different instead (character driven melodrama how male strippers are just like you and me *aaaaaaw*!).

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2017 6:24 PM

I love male strippers; live, online, anything. But I fell asleep watching this tripe.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2017 10:08 PM

Jesus Christ, this was a bad movie! I feel we need to keep talking about this.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2017 2:09 PM

I didn't see either one but I could sense from a mile away that they were horrid. A cultural phenomenon for the Starbucks Soccer Mom set.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2017 2:25 PM

It was just talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk, feelings feelings feelings feelings feelings, sensitivity sensitivity sensitivity…

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2017 3:31 PM

The best description of it is on IMDB and says it's like watching good looking people with great bodies and no sense of humor, being forced to do improv.

It could have been a funny movie about insecure men dealing with the underbelly of himboism, but it just has nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2017 3:38 PM

Apparently the Las Vegas stage show is a disappointment as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2017 10:30 AM

Terrible movie bump

by Anonymousreply 33July 16, 2017 12:19 PM

I just want to reiterate, this is a really bad movie!

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2018 1:03 AM

What makes it a really good movie is that the dialogue seems real for these characters, unlike the ridiculous dialogue that screenwriters usually write. It was very believable, and a honest view of guys like these.

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2018 2:13 AM

Indiewire just ranked Magic Mike XXL one of the best movies of the decade! It came in at #26.

This doesn't surprise me as faggy David Ehrlich is the worst gay critic alive.

Good lord, this was a terrible movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2019 10:43 AM

"Each setpiece — from the tag-team finale to an impromptu gas station show that should be projected directly onto the Sistine Chapel — is choreographed with the joy and balleticism of a Yuen Woo-ping fight scene, and they’re all brought to life by characters who genuinely love each other. You can feel the weight of their friendship even when these men aren’t grinding on top of you with “Pony” blasting from the speakers so loudly that no one can hear the siren’s call of the future. Men didn’t look so great this decade, but in “Magic Mike XXL” they were beautiful inside and out. —DE"

I want to hit with my car.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2019 10:44 AM

The reason critics rave about it (the first one) is because of Sonderbergh's involvement. Because he was so daring (apparently) to tackle such a sordid subject like male strippers and turned it into a masteripiece of character driven melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2019 11:53 AM

Not true, r19.

Stripping for fraus is a big business.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2019 7:26 PM

Aw, come on, there were some sexy bodies in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 2, 2019 12:21 AM

Bomer showed more skin on the poster than in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 41August 2, 2019 12:41 AM

I'm just grateful there was no Alex Pettyfer or Cody Horn.

by Anonymousreply 42August 2, 2019 6:18 AM

Fun fact: Cody Horn was only cast in Magic Mike not because she was Alan Horn's daughter - Alan Horn was not CEO of Warner Brothers any more at the time of production - but because she was writer/producer Reid Carolin's girlfriend.

Another fun fact: Reid Carolin is prettier than her.

by Anonymousreply 43August 2, 2019 9:10 AM

It's a bad movie but I really enjoyed it. When I am feeling down and want mindless fun, I like to put it on.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2019 11:43 AM

You OWN it??

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2019 3:03 PM

At least Showgirls had simulated sex.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2019 3:30 PM

R46 I prefer to call it Dolphin sex.

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2019 5:42 AM

I had forgotten all about it till you brought it up!

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2019 5:54 AM

I still can't believe an actual plot point for this film is that Andie MacDowell's character has such a gaping vagina that she can take Big Dick's massive cock with ease.

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2019 9:43 AM

LOL let’s reminisce about this awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2020 2:55 PM

I was surprised just how unsexy and fun these movies were. You'd think it would just be a hot, funny entertainment but they tried too hard to make them "serious movies"

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2020 3:11 PM

R50 it's better than the first. No Cody or Alex and it's not as serious.

by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2020 5:10 AM

Seriously, this movie was bad, y’all!

by Anonymousreply 53December 28, 2020 1:59 PM

Just too much fucking talk and not enough fucking stripping. Or fucking fucking.

by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2020 4:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!