Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has any other actress or actor starred in more iconic movies than Katharine Hepburn ?

Philadelphia Story

Bringing up Baby

Guess who's coming to Dinner

African Queen

Adam's Rib

The Lion in Winter

On Golden Pond

Woman of the year

Long Day's Journey into Night

Suddenly, Last Summer

Alice Adams

I mean there is no end to this list. Not only are those movies iconic but also majority of them were huge blockbusters when they were released. No other actress, not even Bette or Liz Taylor or Julia Roberts has such distinction. But then again, they don't call Katharine Hepburn, the greatest cinematic legend ever for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 425February 25, 2019 12:40 PM

You're kidding, right?

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2016 6:33 PM

What's M's list? *crickets*

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2016 6:34 PM

Op You forgot SUMMERTIME and the one with Lucile Ball

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2016 6:35 PM

Never heard of her

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2016 6:37 PM

R1 No I am not. Kate has more movies in American FIlm Institute's list of greatest movies ever than any other actress and majority of her movies were included in the national film registry.'

And it's not like her movies were just critical successes and cult movies. They were huge blockbusters in their time. A few of them even grossed more than 100 million in 50's and 60's. Neither Bette Davis nor Liz Taylor can say that with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2016 6:43 PM

Cary Grant did pretty well.

She Done Him Wrong

Topper

The Awful Truth

Bringing up Baby

Holiday

Gunga Din

Only Angels Have Wings

My Favorite Wife

Penny Serenade

Suspicion

Arsenic and Old Lace

None But the Lonely Heart

Notorious

The Bishop's Wife

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

People Will Talk

To Catch a Thief

North by Northwest

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2016 6:43 PM

And guess what ? In all those movies or in majority of them, she was the star. Not a supporting role or just a love interest of the hero. She was the fucking star who got more billing than the male screen legends who starred opposite her

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2016 6:45 PM

OP forgot "Little Women" and "Stage Door".

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2016 6:46 PM

She was the ugliest leading lady in Hollywood. I'll never understand how she got a career.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2016 6:47 PM

R8 and R3..,no I haven't forgotten them. Those are iconic and legendary movies too. Like I said, the list of iconic movies in which she starred, has no end.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2016 6:49 PM

Literally dozens, OP

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2016 6:52 PM

R9 must be today's idiot. That and never heard of or saw any of the films mentioned in this thread. She was not an actress in the Streep mode, rather a great screen actress personality which of course is why she became a great star and when cast in the right role could be very effective.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2016 6:57 PM

Tired old bag

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2016 6:58 PM

She was ugly, R12, and I don't feel like watching movies with ugly hams.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2016 6:59 PM

She was the Tara Reid of her generation

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2016 7:00 PM

Why on earth would a young person have heard of her or watched a bunch of old timey movies from the 1940's?

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2016 7:01 PM

Her undercarriage smelled of cheap booze and dead cats

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2016 7:03 PM

Kate wasn't more uglier than other screen legends like Bette Davis or Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2016 7:05 PM

Because it was never visited, R17. Can you imagine a man, anyone wanting to fuck her? She's frigidity in human form.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2016 7:06 PM

There needs to be a basic movie history knowledge test for posting here.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2016 7:09 PM

Believe it, or not, i banged her a couple of times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2016 7:09 PM

Then his penis fell off due to frostbite, R21

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2016 7:11 PM

R6 that reads like a list of my favorite old movies. I love Arsenic and Old Lace. I'd add I Was A Male War Bride and That Touch of Mink to the list. He really was the master of light comedy, he had a very deft touch.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2016 7:25 PM

I watched Long Day's Journey Into Night on TCM last night and I have never seen her as hysterical. Generally I love depressing movies but I got tired of all the yelling and screaming towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2016 7:44 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2016 9:01 PM

Harrison Ford.

Jack Nicholson.

Robert DeNiro.

That's just off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2016 9:56 PM

Even Meryl Streep has iconic movies.

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2016 10:01 PM

Lindsay Lohan

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2016 11:05 AM

I always wondered how she got so popular, she wasn't pretty, her voice sounded like a rusty tin can and she wasn't that great as an actress either.

How did she get that many nominations and wins, who did she kiss up to? Or did those old white guys at the academy like that she took care of old Spence? Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2016 11:33 AM

No one starred in more great movies than Cary Grant.

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2016 11:35 AM

Many of Bogart's films have become classics.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2016 12:10 PM

Which of Hepburn's films have you seen, R29?

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2016 3:29 PM

R29, Kate Hepburn once said late in her career, "People have grown fond of me, like some old building," and it's true. When she first started out, to many, she was an acquired taste. Her angular looks and tall, slender frame ran counter to the soft, curvy, feminine ideals of beauty. Her Yankee voice and tremulous manner many found off-putting. She was a tomboy who, to the horror of Hedda and Louella, ran around town dressed in dungarees and sandals. She rarely granted interviews and only attended award shows, premiere, and functions under threat of suspension. But all this is what set her apart from the rest of the pack. And with the passage of time, Hepburn's eccentricities and anti-Hollywood stance are what made her seem contemporary to modern audiences, which permitted her to continue making qualities films far into the '70s and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2016 5:37 PM

Humphrey Bogart

The Petrified Forest

Black Legion

They Drive by Night

High Sierra

The Maltese Falcon

All Through the Night

Casablanca

Sahara

To Have and Have Not

The Big Sleep

Dark Passage

Key Largo

The Treasure of Sierra Madre

Knock on Any Door

In a Lonely Place

Sabrina

We're No Angels

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2016 5:41 PM

O, I forgot to include "The African Queen "

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2016 5:42 PM

In terms of fashion, Hepburn was waaaaaaaaay ahead of her time. That was not appreciated until the late 1960s, when most young women dressed like she did in the early 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2016 6:22 PM

Liz doesn't do too bad; regardless of quality, these films are iconic in some way and still watched today:

National Velvet

Father of the Bride

A Place in the Sun

Giant

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Suddenly, Last Summer

BUtterfield 8

Cleopatra

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2016 6:22 PM

William Holden does pretty well:

Sunset Blvd.

Stalag 17

Sabrina

Picnic

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing

The Bridge on the River Kwai

The Wild Bunch

Network

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2016 6:24 PM

Cary Grant is the answer to this question. To R6's list I would also add An Affair to Remember and especially Charade, which is thoroughly delightful.

Hepburn also starred in many classics, but I would argue against several of the OP's choices. On Golden Pond is wretched and Guess Who's Coming for Dinner is pretty terrible as well, and very dated. Suddenly Last Summer is okay but hardly a classic. The first have of Woman of the Year is very good but then the misogyny kicks in, hard. And The Lion in Winter is greatly overrated.

The Hepburn movies I would have chosen instead are Pat and Mike, which is one of the very best Hepburn/Tracy movies, and Summertime and Stage Door, which are both exquisite.

I like Katharine Hepburn but personally, I'd choose a Barbara Stanwyck movie over a Hepburn movie any day of the week. Especially these:

Double Indemnity

The Lady Eve

Stella Dallas

Baby Face

Night Nurse

Remember the Night

Ball of Fire

Strange Love of Martha Ivers

No Man of Her Own

All I Desire

Most of them are not as well-known as the Hepburns, but they rank with the very best of her films. Plus, there are at least a dozen or so additional Stanwycks that are eminently watchable and a lot of fun.

I think people are only now catching up with Stanwyck's oeuvre, because many of her precodes (such as Baby Face, Night Nurse, Miracle Woman, and Ever in My Heart) were little-known and had rarely or never been broadcast on TV, and also because there is growing interest in film noir, at which she excelled. People are finally discovering her noir work outside of Double Indemnity. No Man of Her Own, Strange Love of Martha Ivers, The File on Thelma Jordon, and Crime of Passion are particularly outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2016 6:25 PM

I'll oh, dear myself: I meant "first half," not "first have." Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2016 6:27 PM

Harrison Ford, Mery Streep, Jack Nicholson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks, Pacino, DeNiro all have great film catalogues, at least enough good movies that people love. Kate is very ananchronistic for that time with a grating Yankee voice. Pass on most of those listed at top unless you like old style acting

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2016 8:55 PM

Forgot Denzel Wahington.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2016 8:59 PM

[quote]Why on earth would a young person have heard of her or watched a bunch of old timey movies from the 1940's?

A generation of mindless millennial numbskulls whose reaction to everything from WWII to The Beatles is "HUH? I mean that was BEFORE I WAS BORN!!" (which is a complaint!)

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2016 9:00 PM

American icon - Parker Posey looks a lot like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2016 9:05 PM

She looks so modern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2016 9:07 PM

To my dearest OP: Where to start? Let's try THIS list on for size...

Of Human Bondage

Jezebel

The Private Life of Elizabeth and Essex

Juarez

Dark Victory

The Letter

All this, and Heaven Too

The Little Foxes

The Great Lie

Now, Voyager

Mr. Skeffington

The Corn is Green

A Stolen Life

Beyond the Forest

All About Eve

The Star

The Virgin Queen

Pocketful of Miracles

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Where Love has Gone

Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

Death on the Nile

The Whales of August

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2016 9:28 PM

People don't vote for the Oscars R33.

by Anonymousreply 47June 6, 2016 2:36 AM

John Cazale had the most incredible short career in the history of cinema. He only made five films, but those films were The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter, every single one a recognized classic.

Hepburn, Bogart, Grant, Davis, and Stanwyck do seem to have the most classic filmographies. I'd add Jimmy Stewart to that. You Can't Take it With You, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Destry Rides Again, The Shop Around The Corner, The Philadelphia Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Rope, Winchester 73, Harvey, Bend of the River, The Naked Spur, The Far Country, Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Spirit of St. Louis, Vertigo, Anatomy of a Murder, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Gregory Peck is another. Spellbound, The Yearling, Duel in the Sun, The Macomber Affair, Gentlemen's Agreement, Twelve O'Clock High, The Gunfighter, Roman Holiday, On The Beach, The Guns of Navarone, Cape Fear, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Among more recent actors, I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore have been in a lot of good to great films. Hoffman did The Big Lebowski, Happiness, Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Almost Famous, Punch Drunk Love, The 25th Hour, Capote, The Savages, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Charlie Wilson's War, Synecdocte New York, Doubt, The Ides of March, Moneyball, The Master, and A Most Wanted Man.

Julianne Moore: The Fugitive, Short Cuts, Safe, Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, The End of the Affair, Magnolia, Far From Heaven, The Hours, Children of Men, I'm Not There, The Kids Are Alright, A Single Man, among others.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is putting together a nice career, IMO. Mysterious Skin, Brick, The Lookout, The Brothers Bloom, 500 Days of Summer, Inception, 50/50, The Dark Knight Rises, Looper, and Lincoln. I haven't seen The Walk, but I think his own film, Don Jon, is pretty decent, he's very good in Stop Loss, and there were good reviews for Hesher, which I haven't seen, either.

Then there's Leo. Gilbert Grape, Marvin's Room, Basketball Diaries, This Boy's Life, Titanic, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, Shutter Island, Django Unchained, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Revenant.

by Anonymousreply 48June 6, 2016 3:44 AM

Hepburn was in the most classic movies, which is why AFI gave her the #1 spot. I'd say that Bette Davis is more of a pop culture icon overall. Not only do you have her movies but you have that annoying song, so most people are familiar with the name, in one way or another.

The biggest pop culture icon is probably Marilyn Monroe, though. Her filmography isn't even that impressive, but if you show her photo to pretty much anybody, they're going to know who she is.

I'd say the most successful actor was Cary Grant. He was in EVERYTHING. I think AFI gave Bogart the top spot because so many Casablanca quotes have become immortalized and people use them without even realize they're quoting him.

by Anonymousreply 49June 6, 2016 4:06 AM

I'd vote for Cary and Bette, Hepburn was annoying to me in just about every movie she made.

by Anonymousreply 50June 6, 2016 5:08 AM

Agree. It might be different if you grew up with her but now she seems like a stiff, uptight shrew. At least with Bette Davis or even Joan Crwaford there was some likability and sizzle. Kate was a mean snobby lez.

by Anonymousreply 51June 6, 2016 5:30 AM

Brando, not of course in terms of sheer numbers, but for impact and variety:

The Men, A Streetcar Named Desire, Viva Zapata, Julius Caesar, The Wild One, On The Waterfront - by the way, has anyone else had such a great back-to-back start as that to a major film career? - Guys and Dolls, Mutiny on The Bounty, The Godfather, Last Tango In Paris, Superman, Apocalypse Now.

by Anonymousreply 52June 6, 2016 5:45 AM

Brando also did a number of interesting, if flawed movies in the 1960's, like One Eyed Jacks (his only shot at directing), The Chase, Reflections in a Golden Eye, and Burn!, too. Most of the stuff post Last Tango was bad to mediocre, though.

by Anonymousreply 53June 6, 2016 5:57 AM

She's so modern what with her dusty dungarees

by Anonymousreply 54June 6, 2016 6:02 AM

[quote]And guess what ? In all those movies or in majority of them, she was the star....She was the fucking star who got more billing than the male screen legends who starred opposite her.

She never got top billing over Tracy and Bogart, to name just two.

by Anonymousreply 55June 6, 2016 6:04 AM

I don't think The Deer Hunter is considered a classic R48, but rather one very long overrated mess. Some of the movie you mentioned will totally be forgotten in 20 years.

JGL is one of the biggest jokes ever put on film.

The Revenant and Inception are already considered overrated and laughable cinema only 25 year olds find worth mentioning.

by Anonymousreply 56June 6, 2016 6:18 AM

I had first billing and I blew her off the screen, something I could never accomplish with other actresses.

by Anonymousreply 57June 6, 2016 6:24 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 58February 16, 2019 1:36 AM

The problem with Katharine Hepburn, is while I very much enjoy her movies, she doesn't seem to really play different characters, as much as Katharine Hepburn in different situations and costumes. Whereas, Bette Davis, Vivian Leigh, and even Meryl Streep actually inhabit the different characters they portrayed, where each character is distinct and different. Take Vivian Leigh's two most famous screen roles, first of all they are both Southern and she is British, then there is the fact that Scarlett and Blanche are totally and completely different, and not Leigh. However, with Hepburn it doesn't matter if she is portraying Rose Sayer, Eleanor of Aquitaine, or Ethel Thayer, she is still Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 59February 16, 2019 1:57 AM

bs, audrey hepburn has way more classics, breakfast at tiffanys is more iconic than katherine has ever made.

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2019 2:03 AM

bette davis has a great filmography as well, ALL ABOUT EVE IS EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 61February 16, 2019 2:05 AM

On Golden Pond was a huge hit, and a whole generation (Gen X) saw her as their ideal Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 62February 16, 2019 2:08 AM

r2 I was in She-Devil!

by Anonymousreply 63February 16, 2019 2:18 AM

She's a strong role model for women who were entering the workforce when men were away at war during WWII and after the emancipation of women. She can hold her own in witty banter with men. Women admire strong women like Sigourney Weaver in Alien and witty women like Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Seinfeld, whose strong presence added to the popularity of Alien and Seinfeld.

Women don't care about boring actresses like Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly but only admire them for their sense of style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 16, 2019 2:25 AM

Cary Grant - Bringing Up Baby, The Awful Truth, His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, Suspicion, Notorious, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest, An Affair to Remember, Charade, etc.

by Anonymousreply 65February 16, 2019 2:52 AM

Boring actresses like Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly lose their appeal once their beauty have faded. The audience didn't care for Audrey Hepburn's later films like "Robin and Marian".

Character actresses like Katharine Hepburn maintain their popularity even in old age because the audience love witty banter, hence the success of "On Golden Pond".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 16, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote] I mean there is no end to this list.

Given that she made a finite number of films, that's not exactly true.

by Anonymousreply 67February 16, 2019 3:03 AM

DE NIRO

by Anonymousreply 68February 16, 2019 4:54 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 69February 17, 2019 5:08 AM

Girls, Girls...You're all pretty!!! I find these unquantifiable arguments a bit tedious.... All of these actors and actresses have great filmographies - my favorites of the pantheon of gods and goddesses- Kate in African Queen, Bette in Now Voyager, Cary in His Girl Friday, Barbara in Ball of Fire, Meryl in Devil Wears Prada...... I wish my fellow DLers would word their posts to be more discussion oriented - we have enough pointless arguments in real life.

by Anonymousreply 70February 17, 2019 3:00 PM

Surprisingly, I just became aware that Cary Grant was top billed in "The Philadelphia Story." At least that is how the ending credits rolled. I was sure that the film was a Kate project from top to bottom. Maybe she let Cary have the top just to get him in the film.

by Anonymousreply 71February 17, 2019 3:12 PM

Careful OP the DL is notoriously anti Kate. Expect this whole thread to be full of illogical vitriol towards her. A lot of gay men on here hate her. Or is it just a few who post over and over? I love her. Has anyone seen the 1973 Dick Cavett interview? Shes very playful and charming in that. Legend!

by Anonymousreply 72February 17, 2019 3:24 PM

I hate the posters saying she was ugly. Compared to Davis? She had a lot of guys after her in her young days. But don't let that get in the way of your hatred. She was a great personality who actually became a damn good actress. Also it's her voice and demeanour that made her a star. She was unique. If you don't like her fair enough, but please don't spew bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 73February 17, 2019 3:31 PM

In love her in Pat and Mike. It's a modest movie but very entertaining. I like it when she says to the boxer, played by Aldo Ray, "all you have to do is beat yourself, beat yourself and own yourself"

by Anonymousreply 74February 17, 2019 3:36 PM

R74 That's a good line.

by Anonymousreply 75February 17, 2019 3:37 PM

[quote] The problem with Katharine Hepburn, is while I very much enjoy her movies, she doesn't seem to really play different characters, as much as Katharine Hepburn in different situations and costumes.

Gimme a break! Watch Long Day's Journey into Night, Summertime and one of the comedies she did with Tracy back-to-back and if you find anything even remotely similar about those characters or her performances you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 76February 17, 2019 3:57 PM

Take this with a grain of salt, but I heard she was one of those lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 77February 17, 2019 4:03 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker, of course, you philistine.

by Anonymousreply 78February 17, 2019 4:08 PM

If she was a lesbian why does it bother you? Or are you one of those queens who can only worship campy glamourous straight women?

by Anonymousreply 79February 17, 2019 4:13 PM

hmmm

by Anonymousreply 80February 17, 2019 5:17 PM

Streep is more iconic than Hepburn, because of her range and being in the modern era.

In any event, Bette Davis was more talented than Hepburn and that grating Yankee accent.

by Anonymousreply 81February 17, 2019 5:21 PM

She had that waspy, no nonsense look that women loved in the 1930's and 1940's when women were entering the work force while the men were away at war.

It's that same kind of independent and waspy look that made Shelley Hack popular in the Charlie ad in the 1970's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 17, 2019 5:22 PM

On Golden Pond was a shit movie.

by Anonymousreply 83February 17, 2019 5:23 PM

R81 Streep is a boring actress who had no chemistry with other actors. She only won her awards because of Harvey Weinstein's influence. She's no longer winning any awards once Weinstein was dismissed from his company and expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Bette Davis had a boring onscreen persona but was beloved by the queens for her bitchiness.

The general public seem to love Hepburn's Yankee accent.

R83 On Golden Pond won 9 awards and was beloved by the critics.

by Anonymousreply 84February 17, 2019 5:39 PM

You are completely wrong about Streep, but to each their own.

Hepburn is flat out annoying. The ugly clipped accent - I don’t know anyone who likes her.

by Anonymousreply 85February 17, 2019 5:44 PM

PS, Streep won awards before Harvey. You just have an axe to grind.

by Anonymousreply 86February 17, 2019 5:45 PM

Women love Hepburn but gay men don't.

by Anonymousreply 87February 17, 2019 5:46 PM

I like Hepburn, especially in "Holiday". OGP sucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 17, 2019 5:50 PM

R86 I don't like Streep's boring onscreen personality and she had no chemistry with other actors.

Hepburn had great onscreen chemistry with Gary Grant and James Stewart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 17, 2019 5:58 PM

Again, that is your taste from the 1930’s and millions of people would disagree with you. No one is riding the Kate Lesbian Train anymore.

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2019 6:02 PM

R90 OP's question is "Has any other actress or actor starred in more iconic movies than Katharine Hepburn?" and not who is the most popular actress in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 91February 17, 2019 6:06 PM

I always enjoy Bringing Up Baby and think she was very good in that part, but lose interest in her other films. I liked her in Suddenly, Last Summer, too.

Yet when I subscribe to Netflix or TCM’s Filmstruck (now no longer active), Hepburn isn’t one of the names I would search to watch. Mitchum, Crawford, Grant, Davis, W.C. Fields, etc, but not Hepburn.

They say she was an intolerably pretentious snob in real life. Not nice until she got very old and even then her folksy old chatter was “put on”. I knew that family, only obliquely through a mutual friend in CT. They were prototypical WASPS.

by Anonymousreply 92February 17, 2019 6:10 PM

If Cary got top billing in Philadelphia Story ,it was Kate's choice. She's the one who played Tracey on Broadway and owned the rights through Howard Hughes.

As far as gay men not liking her, speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2019 6:22 PM

Yeah r93 I'm a big homo and I love her! And r88, I concur, Kate was enjoyable in Holiday - as was Cary - and the supporting players were terrific as well-particularly Binnie Barnes and Henry Daniell as the dreadful cousins..

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2019 6:34 PM

Yes, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington. Daniel Day-Lewis, Jack Nicholson, Harrison Ford. etc.

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2019 6:53 PM

The influence and legacy of Kate Hepburn will last longer than any of Streeps and Davis' of the world. She probably had the best career ever as far as actors are concerned. Think about it, for almost 60 years she ruled the roost starring in one iconic film after other. There was/is/will never be anyone like her. Like the great David Niven has once said, a star is a star is a star, but Katharine Hepburn to him is 'the' star.

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2019 6:56 PM

Zzzzz. Go back to bed grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Bette Davis was a huge admirer of Katharine Hepburn and was so interested in working with her. Kate didn't give a damn. Says a lot about the position Katharine holds in the industry. When she is on screen everyone around her become unnoticeable

by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2019 6:59 PM

Isn’t her legacy that she was a closeted Lesbian? Never liked her.

by Anonymousreply 99February 17, 2019 7:00 PM

Hepburn always makes me smile when I watch her. I love her humour and intelligence and her spunk. Don't get why people on here hate her. She was a much better actress than Crawford, who I cannot watch. Such a terribly wooden and definitely samey actress.

by Anonymousreply 100February 17, 2019 7:01 PM

On Golden Pond is a lovely and funny film with good performances. What's the problem you guys have with it?

by Anonymousreply 101February 17, 2019 7:03 PM

R99 What's wrong with being a lesbian? Who were her female lovers? Queens don't like lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 102February 17, 2019 7:05 PM

Kate was not a closeted lesbian. She addresses that in her documentary on TCM. She admits heiress Laura Harding was more than a friend, but had relationships with many men besides Spencer Tracy.

by Anonymousreply 103February 17, 2019 7:07 PM

Does anyone recall that scene in Bringing up Baby when she and Cary Grant are in the woods looking for Baby and Grant tells her they should go there separate ways? She starts crying saying "you don't like me anymore " and the tone of the film suddenly shifts and she seems genuinely insane. It's a cleverly acted moment that I think adds some seriousness to her character. This moment telegraph to the audience that this woman just may be mentally ill. Such a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 104February 17, 2019 7:07 PM

Someone explain the dislike of On Golden Pond please?

by Anonymousreply 105February 17, 2019 7:09 PM

I loved OGP. Made me cry.

by Anonymousreply 106February 17, 2019 7:11 PM

It’s sappy. Kate constantly lied about being Lez. Spencer Tracy was also gay. Most people don’t know or remember who they were. That style of acting is too fake.

by Anonymousreply 107February 17, 2019 7:12 PM

R106 me too. I think it's the Kate haters again. Or is it one poster hmm? Anyway it score 7.7 on imdb and a healthy 92% on Rotten Tomatoes so it can't be that bad.

by Anonymousreply 108February 17, 2019 7:13 PM

I like The African Queen but the films picture quality has aged badly. It's very grainy and faded.

by Anonymousreply 109February 17, 2019 7:14 PM

R107, shut up you tired queen. We've heard enough from Scotty Bowers.

by Anonymousreply 110February 17, 2019 7:14 PM

Mary WIckes owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 111February 17, 2019 7:22 PM

Whenever we are feeling down this peps up right back to sanity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 17, 2019 7:25 PM

Mary Wickes was a character actress, not a star. She looked the same in Now, Voyager and Sister Act.

by Anonymousreply 113February 17, 2019 7:26 PM

R109 The African Queen is wonderful, one of Hepburn's very best performances. This article talks about the restoration of an original print of the film; the cinematography was by the great Jack Cardiff. Paramount released a DVD and Blu-Ray of the restored version in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 17, 2019 8:36 PM

When Hepburn first appeared she stunned audiences in Bill of Divorcement. Then in Little Women she achieved superstar status and it was a blockbuster for the era. One of the films that everyone had to see everywhere it played. She was pretty much shot out of a canon in terms of popularity with general audiences. Not only in the big city but in the sticks. Yes audiences tired of her and she was labeled box office poison. But the in Philadelphia Story she was able to capture the huge general audience all over again. You only think she was for a specialized audience but it's not true at all. She was loved by the Oscars and in the nabes.

by Anonymousreply 115February 17, 2019 9:00 PM

Divine.

BTW, Katherine Hepburn could never have pulled off "Pink Flamingos".

by Anonymousreply 116February 17, 2019 9:05 PM

On golden pond was shit!

by Anonymousreply 117February 17, 2019 9:10 PM

Yeah, it's kind of hard to follow if you're used to porn R117.

by Anonymousreply 118February 17, 2019 9:40 PM

R118 actually I do feel the pace of films from the 70’s feels slower than I remember. I watched Murder in The Orient Express recently and I was struck by how much “spacer” footage showed the train moving through snow with loud music playing. More and more modern films move along at a faster clip, or at least it feels like it to me.

by Anonymousreply 119February 17, 2019 11:26 PM

Shelley Long

by Anonymousreply 120February 17, 2019 11:27 PM

The ultimate chanteuse....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 17, 2019 11:32 PM

The faster pace is so they can sell shit in countries where people don't speak English, or need any kind of story.

by Anonymousreply 122February 17, 2019 11:36 PM

R120 Awe, poor Shelley Long. She was so funny in Cheers and is a good actress. Her films were uneven, like Money Pit, Outrageous Fortune and the unwatchable Troop Beverly Hills. She had better luck with those corny Brady Bunch films. But she seems out of it these days. She’s very beautiful and very talented but seems down.

by Anonymousreply 123February 17, 2019 11:37 PM

The great Hawks comedies like His Girl Friday are actually a lot quicker than many lugubrious two hour Apatow comedies today. I think some people just have a block when it comes to old movies. Which is fine, but I wonder why they're on a thread about Katharine Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 124February 17, 2019 11:50 PM

Because she was an unlikable shrew. Her range was A-B. Face facts.

by Anonymousreply 125February 18, 2019 12:18 AM

Isn’t she that old woman who stared at Jane Fonda from the bushes?

by Anonymousreply 126February 18, 2019 12:49 AM

R126. That's right. She was helping her through a scene she found difficult. She was willing her to do well.

by Anonymousreply 127February 18, 2019 6:28 AM

Kate was very funny in on Golden Pond

by Anonymousreply 128February 18, 2019 6:32 AM

Hepburn has been in many great movies and she was the same in all of them, her spinsterish suffragette thing, that's 'star' acting I guess. She was always moneyed which gave her options that contemporaries like Davis never had, especially later in her career when Hepburn could continue to be choosy, she didn't have to go the hagsploitation route and didn't. She has a fairly small filmography for someone of her stature and with a decades long career, which again speaks of her lucky position of never needing the money and having the luxury of waiting for suitable projects. She did do some shitty, sentimental TV movies at the end when material ran out for someone of her age , vocal tics and mannerisms, but it was from wanting to work rather than desperation for a check. This sounds like I dislike her, I don't,she's a magnetic presence, but a little goes a long way and she was rich and lucky enough to ration her appearances to accommodate this.

by Anonymousreply 129February 18, 2019 9:04 AM

Stanwyck:

Miracle Woman

Baby Face

Bitter Tea of General Yen

Stella Dallas

Remember the Night

Ball of Fire.

The Lady Eve

Double Indemnity

Lady of Burlesque

Strange Love of Martha Ivers

The Furies

Clash By Night

Forty Guns

by Anonymousreply 130February 18, 2019 2:13 PM

Kate did not grow up rich, definitely upper middle class. Her father was a doctor. What gave her the upper hand is that she was smart with her money. She always lived relatively simply and didn't have hordes of relatives that expected to be supported.

by Anonymousreply 131February 18, 2019 2:19 PM

DL seems to have a Katharine Hepburn Troll.

Can we call you Katbot?

by Anonymousreply 132February 18, 2019 2:21 PM

Davis > Hepburn

by Anonymousreply 133February 18, 2019 2:22 PM

So, to surmise this threads answer to OP, no.

by Anonymousreply 134February 18, 2019 2:26 PM

This is a Master class in screen acting....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 18, 2019 4:15 PM

She's awful in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 136February 18, 2019 4:20 PM

Keep in mind that Kate lived with the memory of finding her much loved older brother hanging from the bedroom ceiling in a house that they were visiting on a NYC trip. I think he was about 16 at the time and she was only a couple of years younger.

by Anonymousreply 137February 18, 2019 4:21 PM

Can you imagine Kate eating a dog turd saying she was the filthiest person alive?

by Anonymousreply 138February 18, 2019 4:51 PM

She would have done it with Yankee determination, r138.

by Anonymousreply 139February 18, 2019 5:01 PM

I would have liked the old lez had she done pink flamingos. But she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 140February 18, 2019 5:03 PM

I only do films with Loons, not Flamingos, Looms!

by Anonymousreply 141February 18, 2019 5:07 PM

^^^^^^ Oh dear, I meant Loons, not Looms....Damn these shaking hands.

by Anonymousreply 142February 18, 2019 5:08 PM

The brother couldn’t stand to hear that ugly screeching voice for one more second.

by Anonymousreply 143February 18, 2019 5:32 PM

She was born richer than Midas......... Her mother was heiress to the Corning Glass Fortune!

by Anonymousreply 144February 18, 2019 5:47 PM

Any news on Faye's show?

by Anonymousreply 145February 18, 2019 5:48 PM

She wasn’t a great actress. She usually played herself, like Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, or Jimmy Stewart. (Dare I include Bette Davis and Joan you-know-who? I do!) Spencer Tracy had a bit more range, as did Charles Laughton. Let’s admit the classic stars of Hollywood weee more personalities than thespians.

by Anonymousreply 146February 18, 2019 5:57 PM

weee = were ^^^

by Anonymousreply 147February 18, 2019 5:57 PM

R144, Katharine's mother was not heiress to the Corning Glass fortune. Her father killed himself and her mother died, so her uncle basically took care of her. He was the founder, and as Katharine herself said that part of the family were the rich ones.

by Anonymousreply 148February 18, 2019 6:04 PM

She had immense inherited wealth. That is beyond dispute.

by Anonymousreply 149February 18, 2019 6:13 PM

She was a of her time, which meant that no one expected her to have a huge range, just be a bankable star. Playing "giants to children" was for supporting players, although even the most successful of them tended to play certain types. Other than maybe Paul Muni, whose films often lost money but leant prestige, there was no niche for an A-list actor of the sort that began to become common with the influence of Method acting. She was careful in her choice of material once her career got back on track and she benefited from the filsm with Tracy because they took some of the edge off her usual mannerisms.

I'm surpised the Lange troll isn't here, but then again Lange has nothing like Hepburn's filmography.

by Anonymousreply 150February 18, 2019 6:20 PM

It took Hepburn 4 decades to have all those classics and she did have her share of “cash for clunkers”. She was also “Box Office Poison”. What’s that one where she played and Asian character? She was no Louise Rainer. Wasn’t it Dorothy Parker who said that Kate ran the gamut of emotions from A to B? My biggest objection to Kate is that she deprived the Oscar from Garbo for “Queen Christina” but thought she should’ve gotten it for “The Philadelphia Story” when she was deprived by Ginger Rogers. I do like her in “Holiday”. I thinks it’s amazing the number of classics “The First Lady Of The Screen” Norma Shearer had in about 1 decade. “The Divorcee” “A Free Soul” “Private Lives” “Smilin’ Through” “Strange Interlude” “The Barrett’s Of Wimpole Street” “Romeo And Juliet” “Marie Antoinette” “Idiot’s Delight” “The Women” “Escape” All of these classics were from 1930-1940. She was also the first actress to be nominated 5 times and all in the same decade.

That’s not even mentioning the one she turned down. “Mrs. Miniver” “Now Voyager” “Old Acquaintance” “GWTHW”

For the non-believers yes, she was married to the Head of Production and had her pick of projects. As was said “Irving couldn’t get on the screen and act for her”. It’s a pity that she decided not to continue her career.

by Anonymousreply 151February 18, 2019 6:47 PM

LOL Hepburn didn't turn down GWTHW - she was considered too unattractive to be Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 152February 18, 2019 8:18 PM

Pretty sure R151 is saying Norma Shearer turned down GWTW. Apart from The Women though, that list of Norma's "classics" is pretty unimpressive. Popular in their day maybe, but not too well remembered now. Whereas many of Hepburn's films and performances from the 30s and early 40s still seem fresh & modern.

by Anonymousreply 153February 18, 2019 8:30 PM

Bette Davis or Elizabeth Taylor

by Anonymousreply 154February 18, 2019 8:56 PM

On what planet are Hepburn’s old timey films fresh and modern?

by Anonymousreply 155February 18, 2019 9:36 PM

Earth.

On Golden Pond and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, regardless of their quality are still regularly played on television. Iconic does not always mean great quality. It means films that have resonated with the public. There's a reason why she was selected as the number one female movie star of all time by the AFI.

by Anonymousreply 156February 18, 2019 9:45 PM

Whatever. No one watches those old crappy movies. You are living in a corny dream world of On Golden Pond.

by Anonymousreply 157February 18, 2019 9:49 PM

Yes, they are regularly shown because cable stations love to lose money.

by Anonymousreply 158February 18, 2019 9:53 PM

Enough squabbling, children. For confirmation of her greatness, one has only to view "The Iron Petticoat". And "Dragon Seed".

by Anonymousreply 159February 18, 2019 10:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 18, 2019 11:24 PM

Everyone is going to have bum movies in a 60 year career.

by Anonymousreply 161February 18, 2019 11:27 PM

please read the wonderful biography of spencer tracy by james curtis. he had access to spencer's diaries, phone books, papers etc. he was not gay. and there is even a paragraph dedicated to the rumors. the list of women the man had affairs with, on the other hand, is a mile long. the major takeaway i had was it seemed like spencer was bipolar and i bet his alcohol binges lined up with either coming down fast from mania/going into a depression. i've read it twice since publication, due for another reading!

by Anonymousreply 162February 18, 2019 11:38 PM

When Norma was doing “Romeo and Juliet” and “Marie Antoinette” Kate was doing that dreadful “Mary Of Scotland” a total bore. How do you manage to be boring playing someone who was the Queen of Scotland from a week old, became the Queen of France as a teenager and who was also claimed the crown of England. Someone who through her own body would unite England and Scotland through her son. A Queen who was imprisoned and beheaded. Let’s not wven talk about the men in her life.

I’m glad that she was much better as Eleanor.

by Anonymousreply 163February 19, 2019 12:02 AM

According to Hollywood there has never been a major star who was gay from its advent until now R162 . Acting being such a heterosexual profession and Hollywood being so truthful we would be fools to doubt them I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 164February 19, 2019 12:03 AM

hmm

by Anonymousreply 165February 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Kate could wear clothes beautifully. Her costumes in Bringing Up Baby, and Desk Set and Suddenly Last Summer were pretty gorgeous.

There is a very funny scene in Bringing Up Baby where she drags a killer leopard into a jail thinking it’s a tame one that was meant for a pet. She has a line like “oh, what’s the matter with you? You’ve been snapping at me the whole way!” I think it’s done with trick photography. It’s my favorite scene in that film.

by Anonymousreply 166February 19, 2019 1:19 AM

[quote]Acting being such a heterosexual profession and Hollywood being so truthful we would be fools to doubt them I'm sure.

Oooooooh, what a Hep-BURN.

by Anonymousreply 167February 19, 2019 1:39 AM

In her reconfigured Philadelphia Story dress.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168February 19, 2019 1:44 AM

On Broadway in "The Lake".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 19, 2019 1:45 AM

I thought she was very beautiful, with incredible bone structure, and an intelligent look in her eyes. She seemed grounded in a self confident, patrician way....loved her...

by Anonymousreply 170February 19, 2019 1:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 19, 2019 1:59 AM

Kate & Cloris....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 19, 2019 2:03 AM

Is that what they were brushing up?

Cloris looks a bit Kate-ish there. A cheekbone duel

Nice pic

by Anonymousreply 173February 19, 2019 8:54 AM

Bette had the better filmography. Her '40s period is just one great film and performance after another.

Hepburn was flopping left, right, and center that time (when not propped up by a box-office leading man like all good feminists).

Strange for three later kind of... one-off, I suppose, films to be held up so high. She didn't actually work much during those years, but when she did she bafflingly won Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 174February 19, 2019 9:24 AM

She deserved it for Lion in Winter R174, not so much the others.

by Anonymousreply 175February 19, 2019 9:26 AM

She must be the only Best Actress winner to win a sympathy one (that no one now takes seriously) because her supposed offscreen lover died.

What a feminist!

by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2019 9:35 AM

In so many ways she strikes me as one of the Golden Age female stars who had to struggle the least as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 177February 19, 2019 9:40 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178February 19, 2019 9:41 AM

How many of those 'iconic movies' OP listed would you say are actually iconic?

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2019 9:46 AM

To film buffs all of them R179 the public at large would have barely heard of them sadly.

by Anonymousreply 180February 19, 2019 9:50 AM

Iconic generally means something that transcends those with a special interest into the public at large, R180.

Still OP's list seems off... ALICE ADAMS is 'iconic'? Hardly.

One thing that makes means Hepburn has fewer iconic films -- as far they can be defined --than some others is that she did a lot of comedy and she also made the same film over and over again. Is every one of her films with her 'lover' iconic?

by Anonymousreply 181February 19, 2019 9:54 AM

SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER is quite campy. It has more it common with BABY JANE than STREETCAR, for instance -- not that that's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 182February 19, 2019 9:56 AM

This place would be better without women.

by Anonymousreply 183February 19, 2019 10:01 AM

Where did that come from R183 ?

by Anonymousreply 184February 19, 2019 10:14 AM

I'll give Bette one iconic film according to above definition-Baby Jane.

Kate gets two- Lion in Winter and OGP no matter how much some of you dislike it because that doesn't matter.

R176 she did not nominate herself, give herself the prize and accept it herself. And she had already admitted she did not deserve her first Oscar.

I also think she did not consider herself a feminist. She felt that stay at home mothers were a very important part of society and if you were going to take on the responsibility of children it was the mother's duty to take care of them. It is odd though considering that her own mother not only for her time but for any time was such an achiever with the full support of her husband. Of course they probably had servants so she wasn't cleaning the house or doing laundry.

by Anonymousreply 185February 19, 2019 11:21 AM

[quote]I'll give Bette one iconic film according to above definition-Baby Jane.

AAE MUST be up there too.

[quote]Kate gets two- Lion in Winter

I don't know. It hasn't been torn down but it's not hugely known -- which, depending on how she want to define 'iconic', matters. If you start adding that you then some of Davis' better Warner's outings.

AAE and JANE both have iconic *looks*. Dress up as Margo or Jane and people would be able to guess who you were. Not so much with Hepburn in that.

[quote]OGP no matter how much some of you dislike it because that doesn't matter.

A film can be formerly iconic. And disdain for OGP is wide enough and not unique to DL that it does matter. It was heralded on release as being *so* poignant and touching, but I don't there are many critics who'd say the same of it now.

[quote]she did not nominate herself, give herself the prize and accept it herself.

She seem not to know how AMPAS works. It was a sympathy win and she knew it herself.

[quote]And she had already admitted she did not deserve her first Oscar.

True. She was aware it was mostly bought for her. I wonder if she felt she had to say that because of that.

[quote]I also think she did not consider herself a feminist. She felt that stay at home mothers were a very important part of society and if you were going to take on the responsibility of children it was the mother's duty to take care of them. It is odd though considering that her own mother not only for her time but for any time was such an achiever with the full support of her husband. Of course they probably had servants so she wasn't cleaning the house or doing laundry.

Yes, that's true and I think she wrote that in her book.

by Anonymousreply 186February 19, 2019 11:37 AM

It seems like the old idea that certain films were untouchable, in that they simply *couldn't* be remade, is dying out.

But, to whatever extent it does exist now, ALL ABOUT EVE is probably the best example of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187February 19, 2019 11:42 AM

Are the stories of Hepburn's homophobia true?

by Anonymousreply 188February 19, 2019 11:45 AM

Marisa Tomei?

by Anonymousreply 189February 19, 2019 11:46 AM

She was very offended by male frontal nudity in films and made no secret of it. Though she did say her parents were not prudes and had no hangups about the human body. But really why should people be subjected to male genitalia in movies?

by Anonymousreply 190February 19, 2019 11:51 AM

[quote]She was very offended by male frontal nudity in films and made no secret of it. Though she did say her parents were not prudes and had no hangups about the human body. But really why should people be subjected to male genitalia in movies?

Sounds like her.

by Anonymousreply 191February 19, 2019 11:52 AM

[quote]Marisa Tomei?

What of her?

by Anonymousreply 192February 19, 2019 11:53 AM

Male genitalia didn't appeal to her offscreen either R90

by Anonymousreply 193February 19, 2019 11:59 AM

Yes, she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 194February 19, 2019 12:00 PM

R39, wherever you are, nice to encounter another Stanny fan. And her last,scene in Thornbirds- she still had it.

by Anonymousreply 195February 19, 2019 12:07 PM

Stanwyck's filmography has aged relatively better than Hepburn's, true.

by Anonymousreply 196February 19, 2019 12:11 PM

Yes, we LOVED The Colbys.

by Anonymousreply 197February 19, 2019 1:34 PM

Toni's Boys was better R197.

by Anonymousreply 198February 19, 2019 2:35 PM

Count me in on the Stanwyck Express also R195 . she's not as celebrated as the others of her time but is nowhere near as mannered, seems fresher in her older movies than Hepburn and didn't become a monument like Hepburn and Davis in later life. Apparently Davis was desperate to play Mary Carson in the Thorn Birds but she would not have done the great job Stanwyck did, by then she was undirectable . Even tho' she won an Emmy for that thing with Geena Rowlands she was horrible in it, just shouting her lines in the familiar sing song way, but whereas she did that with genius earlier in her career it had become an empty style. Hepburn was similarly affected, not helped by the wobble of course. All these old gals are great it's a shame they are fading as icons.

by Anonymousreply 199February 19, 2019 3:09 PM

She was perfect in The Philadelphia Story...

by Anonymousreply 200February 19, 2019 3:50 PM

Whether you like her or not, Hepburn could do comedy, drama, Shakespeare and Greek tragedy. None of the other actresses had that range.

by Anonymousreply 201February 19, 2019 4:48 PM

r190 = fish

by Anonymousreply 202February 19, 2019 8:01 PM

Irene Papas had that range, 201.

by Anonymousreply 203February 19, 2019 8:03 PM

Hepburn could screwball comedy. Stanwyck could, but Davis couldn't. Stanwyck couldn't do costume dramas unless you count westerns.

by Anonymousreply 204February 19, 2019 8:46 PM

'could do'

by Anonymousreply 205February 19, 2019 8:47 PM

R199. Are you kidding? Stanwyck could be hambone even for the 40s. Just see her in Sorry wrong Number or The Furies....or even the celebrated Double Indemnity (which I don't think aged well)

by Anonymousreply 206February 19, 2019 9:11 PM

GARY COOPER

Wings

Betrayal

The Virginian

Morocco

City Streets

I Take This Woman

His Woman

Devil and the Deep

A Farewell to Arms

Today We Live

Design For Living

Alice in Wonderland

Desire

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

The Plainsman

Souls at Sea

The Adventures of Marco Polo

The Cowboy and the Lady

Beau Geste

North West Mounted Police

Meet John Doe

Sergeant York

Ball of Fire

The Pride of the Yankees

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Casanova Brown

Saratoga Trunk

Cloak and Dagger

Unconquered

The Fountainhead

You're in the Navy Now

High Noon

Garden of Evil

Vera Cruz

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell

Friendly Persuasion

Love in the Afternoon

The Wreck of the Mary Deare

The Naked Edge

by Anonymousreply 207February 19, 2019 9:13 PM

I did read somewhere that Margret Mitchell the author of GWTW, thought that Katharine Hepburn should play Scarlett and Groucho Marx for Rhett, I hope she wasn't being serious. She was known for having an impish sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 208February 19, 2019 9:19 PM

OP you are of course right Hepburn has some if the most iconic films in her filmography. Most of the films listed above by other actors are filled with obscure movies not on any best of list. She has several. That tells you all you need to know. Also I don't think Hepburn was the same in evey role at all. Shes different in Bringing up Baby, The Lion in Winter, long days journey into night etc

by Anonymousreply 209February 19, 2019 9:25 PM

Keanu starred in the most cult films.

by Anonymousreply 210February 19, 2019 9:28 PM

[R208]

"The Loons, Rhett, look t the Loons."

"Scarlet, I once shot a Loon in my pajamas. How it got in my pajamas, I'll never know."

by Anonymousreply 211February 19, 2019 9:30 PM

Only Norma Shearer “The First Lady Of Yhe Screen” could do it all. She had the will, the desire, and the ability. She could do comedy (“Private Lives”, “Let Us Be Gay”’, “The Women”), drama (“The Divorce”, “A Free Soul”, “Strange Interlude”), historical costume drama (“Marie Antoinette”, “The Barretts Of Wimpole Street”), romance (“Smilin’ Through”), Shakespeare (“Romeo And Juliet”), suspense (“Escape”) and all within 1 decade. Never Box Office Poison. Louis B. Mayer went to see Kate on stage with Norma. The play was “The Phladelphia Story”. Shrewd Kate knew what might come next and borrowed the money from Howard Hughes to buy the rights to the play. It was such a hit that when MGM wanted to make the film they couldn’t make it without Kate. Kate actually wanted Gable and Tracy but Mayer gave her Grant and Steward. Mayer always had to have the last word. Mayer wasn’t kind to his female stars other than his own discovery Greer Garson.

by Anonymousreply 212February 20, 2019 1:10 AM

Nobody gives a shit about Norma. She retired in the early 40s and died broke in the Motion Picture home.

by Anonymousreply 213February 20, 2019 1:24 AM

Norma couldn't do westerns like Stanwyck or musicals like Kate.

by Anonymousreply 214February 20, 2019 1:28 AM

Anyone remember what her death thread was like? Did it get a lot of posts or was she so old that nobody cared?

by Anonymousreply 215February 20, 2019 2:03 AM

“Spence” was the real star. The best actor of all time.

by Anonymousreply 216February 20, 2019 2:12 AM

Like Streep, half the people love her, and half hate her. She was always old to me, and I am 57. She seemed starchy and rickety. I give her credit for having a long career, but I am glad people are pointing out other actresses like Stanwick and Davis who were equally fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 217February 20, 2019 2:15 AM

As long as we have The Philadelphia Story, Kate will always be young and beautiful to me.

by Anonymousreply 218February 20, 2019 2:22 AM

The Philadelphia Story, African Queen, Bringing up Baby, Lion in the winter are voted as 4 of the 100 greatest films of all time in the history of mankind. No other actress has that many.

Bette Davis has only All about Eve in top 100.

Elizabeth Taylor has Giant and A place in the Sun in top 100.

Ingrid Bergman has only one. Casablanca.

Vivien Leigh has two. GWTW and ASND.

Audrey Hepburn has only one, My fair lady.

Faye Dunaway has three : Network, Chinatown and Bonnie and Clyde

Meryl Streep has only one : The Deer Hunter

Diane Keanton has two : God Father two and Annie Hall

Grace Kelly has two. Rear Window and High Noon

Barbara Stanwyck has one

Joan Crawford has 0. Zero.

by Anonymousreply 219February 20, 2019 2:38 AM

PS, don’t forget Streep was influenced by these women. The below is from 60 Minutes. I think the modern era of cinema is morphing into cartoons, so it’s good we got two great ages of Hollywood.

Streep: There was one channel that had older movies. And I loved Carole Lombard and I loved Kate Hepburn and Bette Davis. And Barbara Stanwyck. I like girls with attitude. You know? Moxie. There's an old word

by Anonymousreply 220February 20, 2019 2:39 AM

Oh brother, try watching African Queen. You won’t get through it. Nothing is written in stone.

by Anonymousreply 221February 20, 2019 2:43 AM

R219 I hate the rankings of movie, because I rarely agree with them. For instance, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, would be in my top 100, as would Mildred Peirce.

by Anonymousreply 222February 20, 2019 2:43 AM

Rankings are a mug's game.

by Anonymousreply 223February 20, 2019 2:46 AM

Mildred pierce is overrated trash.

by Anonymousreply 224February 20, 2019 4:27 AM

So are you.

by Anonymousreply 225February 20, 2019 4:35 AM

AND a common frump

by Anonymousreply 226February 20, 2019 4:36 AM

This is why i can't take many of you seriously when you trash Hepburns list of great movies to only offer trashy ones by other actresses as examples of better ones. The movies that will last as classics are not melodramatic, and creaky women's pictures. Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 227February 20, 2019 4:43 AM

No one wants to live in the last century, unless you are a ghost. Cinema has evolved and you don’t have to choose.

by Anonymousreply 228February 20, 2019 5:55 AM

It's funny how these threads always devolve, just like the music threads do. Madonna is better than Cher because she sold more records, Janet is the queen, Whitney was the best, no Barbra is the voice of the century.

I can absolutely love Katharine in most of her films, same with Bette, Joan, Barbara and some of the others mentioned. Fortunately, we can watch or listen to and enjoy many performers. How boring would life be to have a continuous loop of anyone, no matter how fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 229February 20, 2019 5:55 AM

R228, classics are considered such for a reason. They are timeless.

by Anonymousreply 230February 20, 2019 5:59 AM

Jane Fonda beats Kate easily.

Klute They Shoot Horses Don't They Coming Home Julia Nine to Five The China Syndrome The Electric Horseman list goes on and on.....

by Anonymousreply 231February 20, 2019 6:10 AM

Jane? Click, click, click.

by Anonymousreply 232February 20, 2019 7:06 AM

For r208> Groucho was said to be horse-hung whereas Clark was said to be a tinymeat,

by Anonymousreply 233February 20, 2019 8:30 AM

All the actors mentioned are beloved actors...except for Spencer Tracey.

by Anonymousreply 234February 20, 2019 9:45 AM

Tracey is so horrible in Captain's Courageous you cheer at the end when he's trapped on the boat and goes down. So wretched that he won an Oscar for giving the worst performance of that or any other year.

by Anonymousreply 235February 20, 2019 9:52 AM

Joan Fontaine

The Women

Jane Eyre

Rebecca

Suspicion

Letter from an Unknown Woman

Gunga Din

by Anonymousreply 236February 20, 2019 10:04 AM

[quote]Whether you like her or not, Hepburn could do comedy, drama, Shakespeare and Greek tragedy. None of the other actresses had that range.

Yeah. She did all those things. We just think she wasn't any good in them. Whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 237February 20, 2019 10:26 AM

[quote]Hepburn could screwball comedy. Stanwyck could, but Davis couldn't. Stanwyck couldn't do costume dramas unless you count westerns.

Most of the screwball comedies are now almost unwatchably dated and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 238February 20, 2019 10:28 AM

[quote] OP you are of course right Hepburn has some if the most iconic films in her filmography. Most of the films listed above by other actors are filled with obscure movies not on any best of list. She has several. That tells you all you need to know. Also I don't think Hepburn was the same in evey role at all. Shes different in Bringing up Baby, The Lion in Winter, long days journey into night etc

No, you're wrong on every count.

by Anonymousreply 239February 20, 2019 10:29 AM

[quote] Like Streep, half the people love her, and half hate her.

I think that's a bit different. We know have perspective on Hepburn's oeuvre. Streep is still working -- and that seems to be one of people's main objections to her.

by Anonymousreply 240February 20, 2019 10:32 AM

[quote]Streep: There was one channel that had older movies. And I loved Carole Lombard and I loved Kate Hepburn and Bette Davis. And Barbara Stanwyck. I like girls with attitude. You know? Moxie. There's an old word

I wonder... I always got the feeling Streep was a bit cold on Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 241February 20, 2019 10:33 AM

[quote]The movies that will last as classics are not melodramatic, and creaky women's pictures. Get a clue.

They're not the dire screwballesque comedy Hepburn kept remaking over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 242February 20, 2019 10:35 AM

[quote] It's funny how these threads always devolve, just like the music threads do. Madonna is better than Cher because she sold more records, Janet is the queen, Whitney was the best, no Barbra is the voice of the century.

Actually, I think most people get along. Certain fans of certain performers just have a hard time dealing with a few truths: You can like Madonna and admit that she's old and you can like Janet and admit that she can't sing.

The same isn't true of Hepburn though: You CAN'T like her and admit that she wasn't a good actress -- because that was her whole gimmick, the Great Lady of the Screen.

Which is why her fans are particularly blinkered (ALICE ADAMS is iconic!) and vociferous in trying to tear down her contemporaries (Bette never made a classic film!).

It's okay. She was a gross parody of a lesbian maiden aunt. You like that. But it's not the same as acting skill.

by Anonymousreply 243February 20, 2019 10:42 AM

She never had a hit film without a big male lead.

A real feminist icon.

by Anonymousreply 244February 20, 2019 10:48 AM

Livvy

Captain Blood

Robin Hood

Elizabeth and Essex

Gone with the Wind

Hold Back the Dawn

Strawberry Blonde

In This Our Life

To Each His Own

Snake Pit

The Heiress

by Anonymousreply 245February 20, 2019 10:56 AM

Norma died a very wealthy woman even though she was in the Motion Picture Retirement home and never had to keep working in those hag roles. She was smart to retire when she did because all the ones that stayed too long look ridicules with maybe the exception of Lillian Gish. Hepburn seems so old and feeble in her last film cameo “Love Affair”.

by Anonymousreply 246February 20, 2019 11:50 AM

I bet she was rolling her eyes at Hepburn's Depends Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 247February 20, 2019 11:54 AM

R245, Who in their right mind would consider "The Strawberry Blonde" an iconic film?

I challenge you to find five people under the age of 50 who have even seen it.

by Anonymousreply 248February 20, 2019 1:14 PM

With Hayworth and Cagney? Better that fucking shlockfest Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Fuck iconic.

by Anonymousreply 249February 20, 2019 1:20 PM

Than

by Anonymousreply 250February 20, 2019 2:29 PM

There are a number of screwball comedy classics and if you don't think they hold up you've got a screw lose. Why don't you admit it you can't sit through a black and white film. If it doesn't have a superhero it might as well be in a foreign language without subtitles and you feel your brain is going to explode.

by Anonymousreply 251February 20, 2019 2:40 PM

Nicely illustrating the point at R243:

[quote]Why don't you admit it you can't sit through a black and white film. If it doesn't have a superhero it might as well be in a foreign language without subtitles and you feel your brain is going to explode.

by Anonymousreply 252February 20, 2019 2:42 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253February 20, 2019 2:42 PM

R243, it wasn't until African Queen that Katharine started with the "maiden aunt" parts, and she was spectacular in that. Hardly a gross parody.

As I posted before, she had huge success in every genre- something that can't be said about any other actress to date.

by Anonymousreply 254February 20, 2019 2:49 PM

[quote][R243], it wasn't until African Queen that Katharine started with the "maiden aunt" parts

This point -- which you totally missed -- was that she played every role that way, onscreen and off.

[quote]Hardly a gross parody.

No man that acted as effetely as she did dykey would've ever been allowed to have her career.

[quote]As I posted before, she had huge success in every genre- something that can't be said about any other actress to date.

She did every genre (as did most of her contemporaries), we simply don't find her good in them.

by Anonymousreply 255February 20, 2019 2:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256February 20, 2019 2:56 PM

I love your use of the royal we. FF you tedious queen. I've forgotten more than you know about film.

by Anonymousreply 257February 20, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]I mean there is no end to this list.

Actually OP, she's dead, so there is literally an end to the list.

by Anonymousreply 258February 20, 2019 2:57 PM

[quote]FF you tedious queen

R243 proved right once again.

And, of course, her fans' kneejerk homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 259February 20, 2019 2:58 PM

I did enjoy the other thread. Must bump it.

by Anonymousreply 260February 20, 2019 2:59 PM

[quote]I don't think The Deer Hunter is considered a classic [R48], but rather one very long overrated mess. Some of the movie you mentioned will totally be forgotten in 20 years.

Well Rex Reed, who knew the Home had wi-fi but it's time for your pudding, now skedaddle.

by Anonymousreply 261February 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Oh please Holiday is one of the great American films and as she aged she played more character parts albeit star roles.

And R252 it's pretty well known that younger people today for the most part don't like black and white films and anybody who doesn't like the great screwballs of the 30s and 40s is a blithering idiot. This is simply fact. They are adult films which somebody like you can only think of in terms of porn.

by Anonymousreply 262February 20, 2019 3:55 PM

And I like all their great films not just Kate. Hell I even like Norma, Joan and Greer.

by Anonymousreply 263February 20, 2019 4:05 PM

R243 you are being homophobic with that comment. Maybe you should consider WHY you made it. Do you usually use lesbianism as an insult? Do you have problems with mannish women? I don't, but maybe you do. You sound like an asshole who needs to have a word with himself.

by Anonymousreply 264February 20, 2019 4:35 PM

The First Lady of the American Screen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265February 20, 2019 4:44 PM

R264, let him have it. I blocked that wretched troll.

by Anonymousreply 266February 20, 2019 4:53 PM

R266. It pisses me off. If they don't like Hepburn fine, but using her possible lesbianism as a character assassination is shitty.

by Anonymousreply 267February 20, 2019 5:02 PM

[quote]If they don't like Hepburn fine, but using her possible lesbianism as a character assassination is shitty.

"Possible"? Please.

That's oddly inverted though: Most of her fans actually like her BECAUSE she was a lesbian stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 268February 20, 2019 5:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269February 20, 2019 5:13 PM

Yes the large general cinema audiences from the 30s to the 60s loved a lesbian stereotype starring in the movies they went to see.

Hey look a lesbian is starring in The Philadelphia Story! Let's go see it!

God they're all terrific people. Why deprive yourself of any of their best films?

by Anonymousreply 270February 20, 2019 5:23 PM

Joan Crawford is the most dull and awful actress of that period. Compared to Crawford, Hepburn was Judi Dench

by Anonymousreply 271February 20, 2019 5:30 PM

Crawford was certainly the worst actress of that golden era period. She was robotic and couldn't do comedy at all. Shes good camp value for her private life that's all. She also played the same kind of working girl makes good roles over and over. If Hepburns samey then Crawford's even more so.

by Anonymousreply 272February 20, 2019 5:40 PM

Grand Hotel to The Women to Mildred Pierce to Johnny Guitar to Harriet Craig to Baby Jane to the Spielberg was it Night Gallery? episode is a pretty good range.

Not bad at all. All outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 273February 20, 2019 5:54 PM

R273. Sorry I don't agree.

by Anonymousreply 274February 20, 2019 5:58 PM

Crawford had less range than Hepburn. In fact Joan had none. She basically did bitchy or seductive. Such range

by Anonymousreply 275February 20, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote]Yes the large general cinema audiences from the 30s to the 60s loved a lesbian stereotype starring in the movies they went to see.

No, they didn't -- which is why audiences largely avoided Hepburn's films. She had next to no hit films in which she didn't share the headline with a male star.

To say nothing of the fact that her most commercially successful films usually involved her being 'put in her place' by her male co-star.

by Anonymousreply 276February 20, 2019 6:06 PM

[quote] Joan Crawford is the most dull and awful actress of that period.

Dull in the thirties, but from MILDRED PIERCE onwards she's quite good.

by Anonymousreply 277February 20, 2019 6:09 PM

[quote]She also played the same kind of working girl makes good roles over and over. If Hepburns samey then Crawford's even more so.

'30s Crawford was samey in the she kept playing the same character; Hepburn at all times was samey because she kept playing different characters the same way -- but y'know Coco Chanel just was a butch and strident New Englander.

by Anonymousreply 278February 20, 2019 6:11 PM

R277 from Mildred Pierce on she was in very similar soap opera garbage like Flamingo Road and Harriet Craig, and The Damned don't Cry. Real stinkers only good to watch so you can laugh at how camp it all is.

by Anonymousreply 279February 20, 2019 6:13 PM

I agree R273.

In fact I love her filmography from MILDRED PIERCE to BABY JANE: they're good films and she's good in them.

by Anonymousreply 280February 20, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote] Crawford had less range than Hepburn. In fact Joan had none. She basically did bitchy or seductive. Such range

Hepburn had less range. You simply prefer her thang to bitchy and seductive.

by Anonymousreply 281February 20, 2019 6:14 PM

[quote][R277] from Mildred Pierce on she was in very similar soap opera garbage like Flamingo Road and Harriet Craig, and The Damned don't Cry. Real stinkers only good to watch so you can laugh at how camp it all is.

Yes, they're campy and she's great in them.

by Anonymousreply 282February 20, 2019 6:15 PM

I doubt you'd find many people, outside of elderly gay men who'd enjoy Crawford film. But I bet there's more who'd enjoy a Hepburn film like Bringing up Baby The Philadelphia Story, the lion in winter, stage door etc. They just hold up a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 283February 20, 2019 6:17 PM

Can anyone imagine Hepburn as Mildred Pierce? Both Davis and Stanwyck turned it down, allegedly. You can certainly see them in the role; not Hepburn, but that's how her actually recorded films always strike me to.

Like the a failed screen test accidentally made it to film -- and fucked all the critics.

by Anonymousreply 284February 20, 2019 6:18 PM

[quote]I doubt you'd find many people, outside of elderly gay men who'd enjoy Crawford film.

And the homophobia is back!

by Anonymousreply 285February 20, 2019 6:18 PM

The most celebrated actress of the Golden Age (who we're supposed to believe only drag queens have heard of).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286February 20, 2019 6:20 PM

It's debatable. Face it Hepburn is queen and some of you are rankled....I get it, totally. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 287February 20, 2019 6:23 PM

I am NOT moved to teears!

by Anonymousreply 288February 20, 2019 6:24 PM

I don’t know why people seem so invested in trying to make Katharine Hepburn of all people dominant? She is very much of a bygone era. Are you all over 70? She had her time, which passed, and there are many other actors equally or even more talented.

by Anonymousreply 289February 20, 2019 6:24 PM

I wouldn't bring her up around here. She doesn't compare favourably to Davis.

by Anonymousreply 290February 20, 2019 6:27 PM

One actor that certainly has an impressive list of iconic films of different genres is Vincent Price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291February 20, 2019 6:32 PM

I never knew why Joan and Betty made those awful films near the end of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 292February 20, 2019 6:36 PM

Bette needed the money; Joan needed to be a star.

by Anonymousreply 293February 20, 2019 6:38 PM

Bette died with only 10k in her bank account. She was still working right up until the end.

by Anonymousreply 294February 20, 2019 6:38 PM

Hepburn's family home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 20, 2019 6:43 PM

Does anyone else love Hepburn in Stage Door? Shes so funny, and great in that scene with Adolphe Menjou. He's playing a kind of Harvy Weinstein creep and she stands up to him magnificently.

by Anonymousreply 296February 20, 2019 6:49 PM

[quote] Does anyone else love Hepburn in Stage Door?

No, too self-aware to ever be funny.

by Anonymousreply 297February 20, 2019 6:51 PM

R289 name them. Kate is considered by most every film critic and poll as the finest- and audiences matter. They put asses in the seats.

by Anonymousreply 298February 20, 2019 8:10 PM

Joan could be funny doing herself....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299February 20, 2019 8:17 PM

News flash: Hepburn is dead and no longer makes movies. Who is better than her? Meryl Streep and Bette Davis, just to name two.

by Anonymousreply 300February 20, 2019 8:23 PM

Thank you , Meryl .....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301February 20, 2019 8:32 PM

[R300]

When did Bette Davis start her back from the dead comeback?

by Anonymousreply 302February 20, 2019 8:34 PM

I meant based on her body of work. Thank you for posting that great tribute Streep did for Bette Davis. They are the two great female acting stars to date.

by Anonymousreply 303February 20, 2019 8:38 PM

Well, whenever it was, r302, she's doing it the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 304February 20, 2019 8:39 PM

I love....or at least like them all. Why does everything have to be a competition?! Deep cleansing breath. I posted the Kate/Lion/desolation clip as an example of fine cinematic acting. Here's another example.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305February 20, 2019 8:45 PM

Yes, Hepburn's stock has fallen since her death. Davis' has risen. It's not unique.

by Anonymousreply 306February 20, 2019 8:52 PM

R306 Risen with whom? I don't hear her spoken of much among the populace or the media? Explain to me.

by Anonymousreply 307February 20, 2019 9:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308February 20, 2019 10:11 PM

It would be interesting if you did a poll of 25 year old's and asked them if they've heard of these actors. 'Excuse me young man what's your favorite Norma Shearer movie?'

'Well it's hard to choose between The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg and Riptide.'

by Anonymousreply 309February 20, 2019 11:00 PM

"...she had huge success in every genre"

So true. Loved her terpsichorean skill in "Swing Time" with Astaire. And what a femme fatale in "Double Indemnity." And no one could walk the line between pathos and caricature the way she did in Baby Jane. She could do everything!

by Anonymousreply 310February 20, 2019 11:06 PM

Grating voice, rigid performances in classic films.

The films were BIG HITS and she was born to be a star just as Elizabeth Taylor was born to be a star but I never enjoyed watching their performances in films.

Her roles were mostly tomboyish, athletic well-educated waspy, spinsters, not much of a stretch?

by Anonymousreply 311February 21, 2019 12:10 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312February 21, 2019 9:48 AM

[quote]So true. Loved her terpsichorean skill in "Swing Time" with Astaire. And what a femme fatale in "Double Indemnity." And no one could walk the line between pathos and caricature the way she did in Baby Jane. She could do everything!

Yes, if anything, even to disregard the quality of her acting itself, I'd say she did LESS onscreen than most of her contemporaries. I mean though her fans keep telling us she did 'drama + comedy!' (who didn't actually?) the actual roles she chose weren't usually ones that pushed her.

Through the '40s and '50s she essentially stuck to playing the same roles -- that were actually written for her -- in the same comedy film with Tracy. Her attempts beyond them were usually calamitous: The Iron Petticoat, Song of Love, Dragon Seed, Undercurrent. She didn't even seem to want to extent herself beyond the starchy matrons she stuck to in drama.

Maybe it was because choosing Oscar-bait respectable roles took primacy over choosing interesting ones. Her later filmography that took place between and after the later Oscars wins is dreadful and on closer inspection reveals just how much she did not do.

by Anonymousreply 313February 21, 2019 10:30 AM

Later Davis is better: JANE, CHARLOTTE, THE ANNIVERSARY, DEATH ON THE NILE, MURDER WITH MIRRORS.

by Anonymousreply 314February 21, 2019 10:32 AM

[QUOTE]The films were BIG HITS

They weren't actually. Hepburn never had Davis, Crawford, Stanwyck's commercial success.

by Anonymousreply 315February 21, 2019 10:33 AM

R280, "Sudden Fear" was one of her best.

by Anonymousreply 316February 21, 2019 10:41 AM

R294

Bette Davis Estate Near $1 Million; 2 Daughters, Grandsons Left Out.

NEW YORK — Actress Bette Davis left her daughters and grandsons out of her nearly $1- million estate, according to a will filed for probate Monday.

Nov 7, 1989

by Anonymousreply 317February 21, 2019 10:45 AM

Estate ≠ bank account

by Anonymousreply 318February 21, 2019 10:48 AM

I assume a good chunk of her estate comprised of that NYC apartment. You know the one in which she recommended Robert Osbourne to live in. And licensing rights, I suppose.

Hard to believe that she was badly off considering her decades of work and that she was consistently one of the highest paid women in the world in the '40s.

by Anonymousreply 319February 21, 2019 10:51 AM

Ungrateful children don't fund themselves

by Anonymousreply 320February 21, 2019 10:52 AM

Bette having to work post-stroke is sad.

by Anonymousreply 321February 21, 2019 10:56 AM

And, R317, it was about fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 322February 21, 2019 12:11 PM

Oh come on. Would you have wanted to be Bette Davis's child?

Nobody would even wish that on Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 323February 21, 2019 7:33 PM

Davis was actually a pretty decent mother, R323.

She wasn't really like Joan.

by Anonymousreply 324February 21, 2019 7:41 PM

Of course she could R206 but when the parts called for it, the movies you mentioned were melodramas made 70-odd years ago so styles are bound to jar , however Stanwyck is capable of subtlety and has few of the mannerisms of others in her league. One thing Hepburn had ( like Davis ) was her mimic-able voice and manner, it puts a performer at an advantage to be so recognizable. Impressionist don't feature much these days but there wouldn't be much material for them from current H'wood, 'and now my celebrated Julia Roberts impression!'

by Anonymousreply 325February 22, 2019 3:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326February 23, 2019 1:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327February 23, 2019 1:55 AM

Thanks for adding the Davis tribute by Streep. Another I enjoyed was the one Julianne Moore did on Myrna Loy. Lovely appreciation of an under appreciated actress.

by Anonymousreply 328February 23, 2019 2:55 AM

R327 thanks. She was the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 329February 23, 2019 3:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330February 23, 2019 3:40 AM

God, she sounds arrogant there: "I'm proof that someone can wait 123 years to be unselfish." Who speaks of themselves like that?

by Anonymousreply 331February 23, 2019 10:21 AM

R331. She's not being arrogant at all. She's being humble

by Anonymousreply 332February 23, 2019 11:13 AM

No, that's not how she's coming off at all.

by Anonymousreply 333February 23, 2019 11:15 AM

She's speaking as if her deigning to grace them with her presence is a treat for them, R332.

by Anonymousreply 334February 23, 2019 11:16 AM

You forgot SUMMERTIME, OP.

by Anonymousreply 335February 23, 2019 11:22 AM

Well, the people in the auditorium act as if it is too, R334. The fact was that the only time she attended the Oscars was to hand out an award, not to get one. She was an extremely self aware person, one might say calculated, when it came to the way her public persona was conceived. I guess the way she acted here was a sincere form of humble arrogance, or arrogant humility.

by Anonymousreply 336February 23, 2019 11:23 AM

[quote]Well, the people in the auditorium act as if it is too, [R334].

Yes, and they gave her three and a half Oscars despite the fact she never turned up to accept them. They were a little masochistic.

[quote]The fact was that the only time she attended the Oscars was to hand out an award, not to get one.

And make it about herself while doing it. Tee-hee.

[quote]She was an extremely self aware person, one might say calculated, when it came to the way her public persona was conceived. I guess the way she acted here was a sincere form of humble arrogance, or arrogant humility.

Yes, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 337February 23, 2019 11:43 AM

Of course she was calculated most movie stars are. It's a business, they have to create legends around themselves. Davis certainly did this too. I admire Hepburn. She was clever, she did her own PR and managed her career effectively. I don't actually care what she was really like, she was a very interesting woman.

by Anonymousreply 338February 23, 2019 12:30 PM

Hepburn was great in the 30s films like Alice Adams , Bringing up Baby, and stage Door when she was dynamic and kind of a renogade. By the 40s she was in one bad movie after another. All her movies with Spencer Tracy are bad. Even Adams Rib which is sexist and misogynistic. It basically says beating women is ok

by Anonymousreply 339February 23, 2019 12:48 PM

[quote]Of course she was calculated most movie stars are. It's a business, they have to create legends around themselves.

Yes.

[quote]Davis certainly did this too.

No, I don't think she did.

[quote]She was clever, she did her own PR and managed her career effectively.

Yes, very true.

by Anonymousreply 340February 23, 2019 12:53 PM

She was cleverer than Davis where her career was concerned. Don't give me that shit about Davis being mother and "having " to accept shouty roles, Davis was offered The African Queen, Come Back little Sheba and A streetcar named Desire, but turned them down, preferring crap like The Star and The Virgin Queen

by Anonymousreply 341February 23, 2019 1:04 PM

[quote]She was cleverer than Davis where her career was concerned.

Yes, she was.

[quote]Don't give me that shit about Davis being mother and "having " to accept shouty roles

What? You're not making sense.

[quote]Davis was offered The African Queen, Come Back little Sheba and A streetcar named Desire,

THE AFRICAN QUEEN, yes, which she turned down because of her children. But I never heard that she was offered the other two.

by Anonymousreply 342February 23, 2019 1:07 PM

Hepburn could afford to be choosy with her work (and she was).

To varying degrees, it seems like the money aspect was at least one thing the others -- Davis, Stanwyck, Crawford -- all at least considered when they worked post-peak.

But, hey, God might've given Hepburn money but he didn't her any acting talent -- so it balances out.

by Anonymousreply 343February 23, 2019 1:11 PM

Not to derail the thread but I chanced across Stanwyck doing Gaslight on the Jack Benny Show and thought it would be of interest to you guys, she's beyond doing vulnerable , she's more in 'Sorry Wrong Number' mode but has a deadpan way with the gags , it starts at 10 min mark on the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344February 23, 2019 1:19 PM

I think Hepburn was quite a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 345February 23, 2019 1:30 PM

Hepburn at the Oscars in 1974 was the same year of the streaker.

by Anonymousreply 346February 23, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote] I think Hepburn was quite a good actress.

Oh, really?

She wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 347February 23, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote]Hepburn at the Oscars in 1974 was the same year of the streaker.

Wait, are we sure it wasn't her? She had a dick.

by Anonymousreply 348February 23, 2019 1:32 PM

Maybe Hepburn was a very limited actress. All those golden age stars were more talented. Greer Garson Elizabeth Taylor, Lana Turner and Ava Gardiner were all more talented and had a wider range than Hepburn. Anyone agree?

by Anonymousreply 349February 23, 2019 1:36 PM

I think Lana Turner was a much better actress than Hepburn. She was sexier, could do comedy and drama with great skill, and could basically play any role

by Anonymousreply 350February 23, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote]Greer Garson Elizabeth Taylor, Lana Turner and Ava Gardiner were all more talented and had a wider range than Hepburn. Anyone agree?

Taylor and Gardner could be good, on occasion. Turner, less so.

Garson's another one like Hepburn: acclaimed in day, yet now her performances just look so stilted and mannered.

by Anonymousreply 351February 23, 2019 1:40 PM

Lana's Broadway performances were electrifying, as was her Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 352February 23, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote]I think Lana Turner was a much better actress than Hepburn. She was sexier, could do comedy and drama with great skill, and could basically play any role

I don't think she's *good* in them, but she kind of oddly works in her '50s/'60s melodramas. I mean Eleanor Parker (a great actress Hepburn could've learned a lot from) took over her role for RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE and it's doesn't just completely dismiss her away, superior though it is.

Her lacquered vapidity, though it shouldn't be confused with talent, is appealing.

And, yes, Hepburn's total sexlessness kind of ruled her out of a huge number of roles that her contemporaries could do. It's much easier to imagine Turner in UNDERCURRENT (a certain improvement) than Hepburn in anything Turner did.

by Anonymousreply 353February 23, 2019 1:46 PM

[quote] Lana's Broadway performances were electrifying, as was her Shakespeare.

No recording means we can't comment.

Though I'm sure Hepburn's unrecorded performances are also her best.

by Anonymousreply 354February 23, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote]All her movies with Spencer Tracy are bad. Even Adams Rib which is sexist and misogynistic. It basically says beating women is ok

That's generally my thoughts too. Why they are held up as being seminal (sorry, ovarial) feminist film I don't get.

by Anonymousreply 355February 23, 2019 1:49 PM

Hepburn had to be the most sexless woman to ever become a leading lady in film.

by Anonymousreply 356February 23, 2019 1:50 PM

Ava Gardiner?

by Anonymousreply 357February 23, 2019 1:50 PM

Ava Gardener -- the now mostly forgotten D-list Hollywood actress of the '40s. When her career began to cool she did lawns and blew Hepburn's leaves and sheared with her.

Thank you, R349 for reminding us of her.

by Anonymousreply 358February 23, 2019 1:53 PM

Is COCO Hepburn's only recorded stage performance? She's awful in that.

by Anonymousreply 359February 23, 2019 1:55 PM

This is Davis country.

by Anonymousreply 360February 23, 2019 1:55 PM

Hepburn was so bad, talentless and hideous to look at. Anything Monroe or even jayne Mansfield did was better. In fact I think Jane Mansfield was underrated. She had a good range. Far greater than the dreadful Hepburn. I mean at least Mansfield could act well. Anyone agree?

by Anonymousreply 361February 23, 2019 2:13 PM

Hmm. I'm not so sure.

Hepburn was seriously overrated, that much is true.

by Anonymousreply 362February 23, 2019 2:16 PM

No Hepburn was completely without talent. Even Mamie Van Doren had more acting ability, or say Arlene Dahl who was very good in everything she ever did.

by Anonymousreply 363February 23, 2019 2:21 PM

I think those Tracy/Hepburn movies should be banned they are anti women and outraged politically. Without any merit

by Anonymousreply 364February 23, 2019 2:23 PM

R351, For the ultimate in stilted and mannered, I nominate Miriam Hopkins. In her two films with Bette, "The Old Maid" and "Old Acquaintance", Miriam's performances are over the top theatrical.

by Anonymousreply 365February 23, 2019 2:25 PM

Hepburns movies are anti feminist. They should be banned. Young girls shouldn't see them. They promote sexism. Anyone agree?

by Anonymousreply 366February 23, 2019 2:28 PM

Greer Garson does strike as the contemporary of Hepburn's who comes closest to her...

by Anonymousreply 367February 23, 2019 2:28 PM

Garson was a better and more versatile actress than the awful Hepburn woman. Hepburn was an affront to humanity. Ban all her movies.

by Anonymousreply 368February 23, 2019 2:42 PM

Bit far, R368. Just a one-note actress.

by Anonymousreply 369February 23, 2019 2:45 PM

Hepburns movies are terrible trash with no merit I think we can all agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 370February 23, 2019 2:45 PM

R370. I certainly agree. How did this hag become so popular she couldnt act and was terrible in all her films including Lion in Winter. The most undeserving oscar ever. Can someone explain why anyone would watch her movies?

by Anonymousreply 371February 23, 2019 2:49 PM

[quote]How did this hag become so popular

Actually, she was never all that commercially popular during her heyday. Her success was more critical.

by Anonymousreply 372February 23, 2019 2:54 PM

R369. I agree. I find Ava Gardener much more versatile. Ava could play any role. She was a remarkable acting talent. She should have won more Oscars than Kate. She could act Kate off the screen. So could Rita Hayworth.

by Anonymousreply 373February 23, 2019 2:54 PM

R372. Ugh your right. What do critics know right? The American public had more taste than to like a questionably mannish and hideously ugly woman with no talent. I'm sure you agree?

by Anonymousreply 374February 23, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]questionably mannish

Oh. Was it questionable?

by Anonymousreply 375February 23, 2019 2:58 PM

Well who wants to see ugly and unfeminine actresses.

by Anonymousreply 376February 23, 2019 3:01 PM

God knows how many TVs I've destroyed when I've seen Hepburn on the TV screen. I'll see Summertime playing and then I chuck the TV right out the window she's so goddamn awful. In fact I had to get a new computer because I kicked my other one over when I started watching the Oscar segment.

And to think an actor is a selfish self absorbed terribly ambitious person who attempts to beat out others for roles and performs with fake humility on the Oscars makes me sputter with rage. And I'm thinking all these years they spent their days doing volunteer work in homeless shelters.

by Anonymousreply 377February 23, 2019 3:02 PM

Hepburn was the most talentless waste of space ever to grace the screen am I right?

by Anonymousreply 378February 23, 2019 3:04 PM

Hey, watch it with the mannish actress stuff!

by Anonymousreply 379February 23, 2019 3:04 PM

I'm not being unkind. It's just that we gay guys only like glamorous women. We have no use for actresses with no femininity. They are useless. Hepburn was worthless. Anyone else agree?

by Anonymousreply 380February 23, 2019 3:07 PM

I remember my parents taking me as a child to see On Golden Pond. I haven't seen such screaming and a stampede out of a theater since Mary Poppins Returns! It was like someone screaming Fire!

by Anonymousreply 381February 23, 2019 3:11 PM

F&F R380. Homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 382February 23, 2019 3:12 PM

Anyone agree with me that Linda Evans and Farrah Fawcett had more range than Hepburn and were better actresses??

by Anonymousreply 383February 23, 2019 3:21 PM

Pia Zadora deserved her Golden Globe. All of Katharine's Oscars were a joke.

by Anonymousreply 384February 23, 2019 3:24 PM

R384 I so agree. Hepburn never gave one decent performance. If she'd been up against the likes of Sharon Tate or Lisa Minnelli in best actress category one of those great actresses would have beaten her easily they were far superior

by Anonymousreply 385February 23, 2019 3:29 PM

In fact Sharon Tate would have been far superior playing Eleanor in TLIW does anyone else agree?

by Anonymousreply 386February 23, 2019 3:36 PM

Someone on this thread is talking to themselves. Up the antipsychotic.

by Anonymousreply 387February 23, 2019 5:08 PM

Loved Tracy/Hepburn in Desk Set and Pat and Mike. Their back and forth is priceless. Desk Set, like Christmas in Connecticut are 2 of my Christmas must watches. Can't imagine Davis in either of them, but then Kate as Aggie Hurley in A Catered Affair would have been hysterically funny.

by Anonymousreply 388February 24, 2019 6:31 AM

R388 I'm fond of those 2 xmas films too. Davis in Man Who Came to Dinner and June Bride is fun.

I'd like to see Hepburn try to pull out all the stops and be Rosa Moline (Beyond the Forest) or Baby Jane! There's a streak of sly, sardonic humor in both, come to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 389February 24, 2019 7:23 AM

I love woman of the year because it has so many great scenes in it. The baseball game, the bar scene, the honeymoon scene where they have loads of people descend on them on their wedding night. Hepburn is dynamic and sensual in it. She rubs noses with Tracy provocatively at one point. The trouble is that the movie seems to be against Tess as a career woman. And the ending is very sexist. It's a shame because if it didn't have that ending it would be one of her best movies today.

by Anonymousreply 390February 24, 2019 7:32 AM

Agree! Funny how in the 40s, when women on the homefront were doing a lot of "man's work," films, with capable women had these sappy antifeminist endings. Happened to Rosalind Russell all the time. Maybe someone thought men had to be reassured.

by Anonymousreply 391February 24, 2019 7:48 AM

R391. It's true, but I think it's more than that. When i read William Mann's biography of Hepburn it said that Hepburn hated the ending but the studio refused to change it. The original ending was going to be Tess and Sam doing each others job for one day to see what it was like in each others shoes so to speak. Then they reunite. That's a great ending. However when they showed it to test audiences they hated it because they felt Tess should be punished for being so arrogant and man like. Not just men but women too. The gender conventions were too strong in 1942. But just imagine if it had been left as it was what a brave and stunning movie it would have been.

by Anonymousreply 392February 24, 2019 8:21 AM

The ending of WotY is tricky. On one hand, it indeed ridicules and humiliates Tess. On the other, it suggests that women don't necessarily have intuitive skills for domestic chores, that it has nothing to do with gender - Sam is far better at it than she is, and he does accept her for what she is, regardless. That's not much, but at least it's something in 1942.

by Anonymousreply 393February 24, 2019 11:46 AM

Poor Clark Gable's grandson barely made it to 30 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394February 24, 2019 1:23 PM

I agree r393. I also think the movie is progressive because it shows a romance in realistic conflict, after a hasty marriage. It shows the gender swap and if it was a man who was career driven and distant to his wife would the audience sympathise with him?

by Anonymousreply 395February 24, 2019 1:41 PM

Kate at 2:20.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396February 24, 2019 2:59 PM

R396. Thanks. She was the best in that clip out of all the others

by Anonymousreply 397February 24, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]Hepburns movies are anti feminist. They should be banned. Young girls shouldn't see them. They promote sexism. Anyone agree?

No. Nobody agrees.

by Anonymousreply 398February 24, 2019 3:43 PM

R396, How much soldier cock would you guess Alfred Lunt was scoring at the Canteen?

by Anonymousreply 399February 24, 2019 4:50 PM

R399. Errrm .....none? No wonder he had to marry a woman.

by Anonymousreply 400February 24, 2019 5:00 PM

This thread is tired. Put it out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 401February 24, 2019 6:06 PM

I agree, R401. It should never have been started or bumped. It's mostly one obsessive Hepburn fanboi.

by Anonymousreply 402February 24, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote] Bringing up Baby

Meh, Peter Bogdanovich's rewrite holds up better.

by Anonymousreply 403February 24, 2019 7:21 PM

Katherine would be more iconic if she'd died or retired relatively young. It's all those dried-up hag years that mar her legacy. Bette Davis didn't have as much of a problem with that because she was funny.

by Anonymousreply 404February 24, 2019 7:26 PM

You're tired, r401. Go take a nap....

by Anonymousreply 405February 24, 2019 7:26 PM

Only as herself, r404. Comedy was not her forte.....

by Anonymousreply 406February 24, 2019 7:27 PM

Davis' two most remembered roles (and the only ones by her, Stanwyck, Crawford, or Hepburn that are *undoubtedly* iconic) -- Margo Channing and Baby Jane Hudson -- are both comic.

by Anonymousreply 407February 25, 2019 6:50 AM

She should have won for The Philadelphia Story. One of the best performances I've seen. It's comical and wistful. She imbued Tracy with some pathos which is very skilfull.

by Anonymousreply 408February 25, 2019 7:08 AM

But she couldn't hold a candle to Kelly in High Society.

by Anonymousreply 409February 25, 2019 7:22 AM

R409. Are you serious? She wipes the floor with Grace. Some of you are seriously deluded.

by Anonymousreply 410February 25, 2019 7:30 AM

[quote]She should have won for The Philadelphia Story. One of the best performances I've seen.

That seems to be her most popular role. Though I don't like it. It's the same mannerisms all over again: the clipped accent, the jutted out chin to indicate spunk, the reactions always too soon, the pouting to indicate strident defiance when it's really the opposite.

She was smarter than Davis; she chose roles that covered her limitations.

Davis was constantly pushing herself, like in THE LETTER that same year.

by Anonymousreply 411February 25, 2019 7:39 AM

[quote] But she couldn't hold a candle to Kelly in High Society.

Kelly was more convincing in the role. She worked as a romantic lead. It's hard to imagine her as being Hepburn as being a huge catch with two men fighting over her.

by Anonymousreply 412February 25, 2019 7:41 AM

I NEVER thought she worked as a romantic lead. NEVER. IN NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 413February 25, 2019 7:44 AM

Kelly was bland, but still better than Hepburn. The recently deceased Lee Radziwill did the role in the '60s to harsh reviews, which were probably not entirely deserved but due to the natural bias against her. It's actually not all that challenging a role. Maybe someone like Dina Merrill should've done it around the time Kelly did. Not her, but that kind of type. Someone less butch and prickly than miscast Hepburn but more interesting than Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 414February 25, 2019 7:49 AM

Hepburn is wonderful in Woman of the Year R390. I'm sure many here would disagree, but "dynamic and sensual" is actually a fair assessment - George Stevens seemed to bring something out of her that few other directors did. But I also think it was the last gasp of the 30s Hepburn. She could be good later on, but she lost some of that playfulness as she got older.

by Anonymousreply 415February 25, 2019 7:54 AM

Was she ever sensual?

by Anonymousreply 416February 25, 2019 7:58 AM

We have just three words: Fab - you - Luss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417February 25, 2019 8:22 AM

R411. You keep mentioning her mannerisms but even Davis kept the same mannerisms, clipped speech flailing arms bug eyes etc. Why judge Hepburn for the things you ignore in other actresses? I guess it's just a personal dislike. Also I think the main reason some of you hate her is for 3 of her oscar wins. If she'd just one for TLIW I doubt the hate would be as strong.

by Anonymousreply 418February 25, 2019 8:43 AM

[quote]You keep mentioning her mannerisms but even Davis kept the same mannerisms, clipped speech flailing arms bug eyes etc. Why judge Hepburn for the things you ignore in other actresses?

Obviously, I disagree that Davis did play every role the same way. I think she had a much greater range than Hepburn; and it's likely Hepburn herself would've agreed with that. Hepburn admitted that she 'thought she was the same in everything'. Which is, of course, much more objectively true. Davis' success in her attempts to transform into character can be questioned, but not her effort (at least bot by anyone who holds up Hepburn as a model). She at least, for instance, bothered with a Southern accent for JEZEBEL and THE LITTLE FOXES unlike Hepburn in THE GLASS MENAGERIE.

You, like most of her dwindling fanbase, believe in a Schrodinger's Hepburn: Hepburn has an unlimited range; Hepburn had no range but range doesn't matter.

Everyone knows she was the same in every role. Hepburn played Hepburn playing whatever character. Davis, Stanwyck, and Crawford were nowhere near as bound up in their own schtick.

[quote]I guess it's just a personal dislike.

It's brazen -- though not unexpected -- that after your bumping up a thread to bemoan Davis and praise Hepburn (which you've done). You'd then try to dismiss other's comments as irrational.

[quote]Also I think the main reason some of you hate her is for 3 of her oscar wins. If she'd just one for TLIW I doubt the hate would be as strong.

There's no 'hatred'. No one's out to get her. We've just seen her work and don't care for it.

by Anonymousreply 419February 25, 2019 9:24 AM

R419. I agree that Hepburn was samey I just find her a better actress than most people here ( or is it one or two still not sure) gives her credit for. And attacking an actress for her looks or being too mannish is horrible. If posters are so concerned with acting ability why should looks come into it.

by Anonymousreply 420February 25, 2019 9:36 AM

[quote]And attacking an actress for her looks

[quote]If posters are so concerned with acting ability why should looks come into it.

No one's mentioned her looks. Point to a post that has.

[quote]or being too mannish is horrible.

Too mannish to convince in romantic roles, that's true. And, that if any man was half as feminine as she was mannish they would never be allowed to get away with it. There's a air of homophobia to *that*.

by Anonymousreply 421February 25, 2019 9:40 AM

I genuinely think she had good timing especially in comedy. And I think she stretched herself later in her career. She was by no means the worst if that era. But what do I know? Maybe I can't judge good acting.

by Anonymousreply 422February 25, 2019 9:53 AM

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

by Anonymousreply 423February 25, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote]Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

I'll take "Things you never expected to read on Datalounge" for $500, Alex.

by Anonymousreply 424February 25, 2019 12:22 PM

Yes, but when most people talk about what actors are *good* what they really mean is actors they really mean (even subconsciously) is actors they *like*.

I mean every mother genuinely believes she's being impartial when she decides her little angel was the best in the school play.

by Anonymousreply 425February 25, 2019 12:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!