Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trans protest Omaha bar with new unisex bathroom

There's a battle over bathrooms as a downtown bar owner takes a tough stance in the transgender debate.

Jake Gardner, co-owner of The Hive, took to Facebook this week, commenting on transgender people and their use of public restrooms. The comments ignited a conversation, spilling over from social media into restaurants around downtown.

"We fought so hard to get where we are now, that not standing here would be to turn a blind eye to this," Kahtya Tehnsion, a local drag queen, protesting at The Hive Sunday said.

Gardner wrote that he believed transgender people should only be allowed to use their restroom of choice if they had gender reassignment surgery, and their birth certificate and ID changed. He said in the post, “I'm not saying that trans folks are the danger but what I do know is that predators will use anything they can to gain access to victims.”

“We've got to start defining some of the boundaries here. We've got to close up some of the loopholes, and we've got to explain these things to society so everybody’s on the same page,” Gardner said in an interview Sunday.

Gardner went on to say he's met with members of the trans community since writing the post on social media, and he thinks the conversation is valuable.

“I'm definitely not going to back down on my stance, I think that it’s the right thing to do to start these conversations,” Gardner said.

Gardner also showed KETV Newswatch 7 construction underway to create unisex restrooms in the bar. The project was underway before the post on Facebook.

Members of the transgender community have expressed concerns. Eris Koleszar, a transgender woman and an advocate for transgender rights in restrooms, said her goal is to create a safe space for everyone.

“To be in the spaces where we don't identify, generally puts us at greater risk for abuse and harassment,” Koleszar said.

She said the comments on social media feel hurtful. "It's just kind of fear mongering," Koleszar said. "It's casting us as predators and it doesn't help forward the conversation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2016 7:05 AM

what the fuck is wrong with a unisex bathroom? Solves the problem. F-ing use it and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2016 4:50 PM

Unisex bathrooms rock! No listening to (or smelling) the unfortunate results in the next stall.

Everyone would like that!

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2016 4:52 PM

But unisex bathrooms don't validate their precious gender identity!

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2016 4:53 PM

Bravo! It is more than reasonable for trans people who have completed gender reassignment to use the ladies or men's room and for others still transitioning to use a safe unisex space.

Closed, secure women's spaces have been safe and traditional private areas for thousands upon thousands of years. Sexual and physical assaults on women by men is real. Trans women need to learn these facts and the accompanying behaviours and cultures mores associated with women's spaces when they transition. Accept this and leave the male privilege and chauvinism behind and learn from other women.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2016 5:06 PM

"transgender people should only be allowed to use their restroom of choice if they had gender reassignment surgery, and their birth certificate and ID changed."

Perfect, common sense solution. Of course, it will never fly in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2016 5:43 PM

I wish I could chose whichever bathroom I wanted to go into depending on the day.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2016 6:14 PM

So much for trannies and their "I JUST NEED A PLACE TO PEE".

No. You want a place where you can be a hot laydee and where everyone can see how much of a hot laydee you definitely are. Unisex facilities just don't quite cut it.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2016 6:20 PM

Why are the Jews forcing this transgender mental illness down our throats? I mean, the bagel fucks bomb us and blame arabs, we fight their dirty terrorist operations for them, we send the bagel cunts billions so they can shoot at a 10 year old for throwing stones, and now this?

You are a man if you have a dick. Use the goddamn men's restroom. Or don't. I just don't want to look at your mentally ill freaks, so go out in the alley. ] Moving to Carolina soon. Thank god.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2016 6:56 PM

The Facebook page is getting destroyed with a bunch of 1 star reviews (although I did see a few positive)

September Rose Bryan — 1 startransphobic shithole, would prefer to drink piss water beer elsewhere than set foot somewhere that condones violence and invalidation against trans women

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2016 7:04 PM

[quote]invalidation against trans women

You see, that's what is all about...Trans : I NEED VALIDATION!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2016 7:09 PM

[quote]So much for trannies and their "I JUST NEED A PLACE TO PEE". No. You want a place where you can be a hot laydee and where everyone can see how much of a hot laydee you definitely are. Unisex facilities just don't quite cut it.

Yup. Remember that teenage boy in the Midwest who wanted to change in the girls' locker room? The school offered him a changing place of his own as a compromise, but that wasn't good enough.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2016 8:03 PM

Wear Depends - problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2016 8:06 PM

Yes, I remember Lila Perry, r11.

He has a big penis. You could clearly see it bouncing under his skirt. He didn't even try to tuck. He's proud of his male member.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2016 8:13 PM

Gardner is being absolutely reasonable. This just shows it's about getting attention. If it's just about being able to take a piss, then they should be no problem with a unisex bathroom. If it's just about being safe, they'd understand that the men that would attack them for being an MTF in the male facilities would be even more vicious if they see a tranny enter the female facilities. Having a unisex facility is the safest option for them.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2016 8:55 PM

How is the rest of the world handling this with their outdoor urinals?

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2016 9:36 PM

So what happened to "We just want to pee"?

Oh right. It is about forcing else everyone to pretend they are women.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2016 9:46 PM

When will the real women stand uo for the rights they fighted for? I mean safety while taking a dump is a human right. And Trans could be easily clasified as unisex.

Walk in my shoes as much as you want, doesn't mean you know what its like to be a WOMAN!

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2016 9:55 PM

Sorry for stupid grammar and spelling. Fought for... fuck...

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2016 9:56 PM

All the trans care about is having their mental disorders validated and accepted as normality. They destroyed Michfest, that, for all the fun we poked at it, was a special place for women, lots of them lesbians, to enjoy themselves and have fun. If the trans can't have something they just destroy it. It is scary how much influence these lunatics have.

I feel bad for the bar owner and his perfectly reasonable solution. As it is said, we are truly in the Age of Unreason.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2016 10:00 PM

Officially over Trans and their deranged defenders.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2016 10:05 PM

I'm so tired of these freaks. Yes, it's all about attention and validation. The Hive owner makes perfect sense and I agree 100% with his thoughts on the transvasion of women's spaces.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2016 10:09 PM

Unisex bathrooms? How DARE people offer them unisex bathrooms. Next thing, people will have the NERVE to suggest males in dresses should think twice before sexually propositioning lesbians. I mean, where will the transphobic hate ever END?

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2016 10:25 PM

T are conflict-orientated. They don't want solutions, or compromises, or negotiations that take EVERYONE'S rights and 'feels' into account. They want outlets for their aggression, and they insist on making enemies at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2016 10:28 PM

'Oh right. It is about forcing else everyone to pretend they are women.'

Yes, on the surface it's about that, but even they know they will never win at that game, and that's actually fine with them, because what these people want at heart is simply to be able to continue loudly proclaiming their victimhood and to pick fights.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2016 10:31 PM

Why hasn't Caitlyn given us guidance on this yet?

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2016 10:41 PM

Back lasering takes up much of her time, R25.

It is almost strappy sundress season, after all.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2016 10:42 PM

[quote]I feel bad for the bar owner and his perfectly reasonable solution. As it is said, we are truly in the Age of Unreason.

Me too r19. And as a small business owner myself I'm well aware of how much his unisex bathroom renovation would cost him and his business personally but providing a safe space for trans people to pee while still showing consideration for his other customers is apparently still not good enough for the trans activists.

Here's an idea. Rather than trans people whining about their own victimization and joblessness why not just start their own businesses and see how much fun that is rather than trying to control everyone else's?

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2016 10:53 PM

"Tehnsion" what a perfect name for a man who loves creating problems out of nothing. It really does debunk the "I just want a place to pee" lie. They want a place to force others to collude in their fetish/mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2016 11:14 PM

I saw a trans at the grocery store the other day. He was wearing the worst fucking wig that I've ever seen. It looked like it came from the 99 cents store. A man wearing a cheap wig.

He had crazy eyes. I can't imagine running into that nightmare in a bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2016 11:22 PM

If women are so afraid of sharing bathrooms with men, will they use a unisex bathroom?

Come to think of it, that might be a great way of keeping women out of gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2016 11:29 PM

I thought a unisex bathroom was a room that was used by one person at a time

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2016 11:46 PM

Not necessarily r31. But you did raise an interesting point. The news piece isn't entirely clear whether the bar owner is converting all his restroom space to unisex but with single user stalls, floor to ceiling privacy and locking doors or if this is an additional "special needs" space.

R30 I am a woman and have used many unisex bathrooms and changing rooms but like I said above...does it have a locking door and is it built in a way that I have a reasonable expectation of privacy? I'm fine with that but not so fine with the locker room issues where any creep can just pop it to perv on women and children undressing.

As the bar owner said, there do need to be some lines drawn here.

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2016 12:15 AM

Watch (white) trannies compare unisex bathrooms to segregation in 3... 2...

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2016 12:18 AM

I really hate the argument of "Rapists will rape no matter what, assaults NEVER happen i bathrooms but if they did the rapist would have found a way anyway". Allowing men who say they IDENTIFY as a woman (so this is not necessarily trans just garden variety pervs who don't even need to put on a wig or dress) certainly makes it a hell of a lot easier. The T will not admit this, that there are MANY pervs among them claiming "their" cause....they really should acknowledge this. The only outspoken among them are the "I HAVE A FUCKING SHENIS DEAL WITH IT" crowd.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2016 1:01 AM

[quote]Here's an idea. Rather than trans people whining about their own victimization and joblessness why not just start their own businesses and see how much fun that is rather than trying to control everyone else's?

Why don't gays start their own fucking bakeries and leave Christians the hell alone??!

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2016 1:11 AM

What in the world are you talking about r35? I know of many gay/lesbian owned businesses that do quite well because they're just very good businesses, good business people and good people in general. They really don't care whether Christians opt to patronize their business or not because their businesses are doing quite well with or without them. But don't tell me any "Christians" have any standing to tell them how to run their businesses unless they're investors with their own skin in the game.

The Omaha bar owner seems to have gone above and beyond to try to fairly balance the concerns of all his customers. I'm not even sure what the trans people in the link are even protesting.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2016 2:15 AM

^^ They are protesting that physically they are not, and will never be, women. They are protesting reality. They also demand everybody joins them in their ridiculous self-lying farce OR ELSE.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2016 2:23 AM

[quote]"transgender people should only be allowed to use their restroom of choice if they had gender reassignment surgery, and their birth certificate and ID changed."

Cathy Brennan and Elizabeth Hungerford made this exact proposal to the UN, and were unilaterally vilified by the trans cult and their enablers. It was reasonable, but trannies don't do reasonable.

The bar owner is a good man. I hope he comes out of this with his business intact.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2016 2:32 AM

""We fought so hard to get where we are now, that not standing here would be to turn a blind eye to this," Kahtya Tehnsion, a local drag queen, protesting at The Hive Sunday said."

Will somebody tell that dizzy queen we aren't talking about her?

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2016 2:43 AM

How many trannies have real jobs? I mean like being an engineer or an aministrative assistant or a car salesman.

I ask because the ones making all the noise are "artists" or dancers or work on something related to their sexuality, the preferred profession of choice being 'cultural critics' like the DL favs Meredith Talusan and Julia Artemis.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2016 3:25 AM

r40 don't forget video game designer, comic illustrator, computer science anything, and 'ambassador' for various agencies

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2016 3:28 AM

Back in the 90s, there was a corporate pilot at my sister's company who declared herself female and none of the other pilot's wanted to fly with her.

Those two LA news chopper pilots recently transitioned.

I know of two engineers who changed, and before I left the Silicon Valley, I met a pair of IT types who became women, and there was also one at the JintheB near the airport

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2016 3:30 AM

Lots of autogyn trans work STEM jobs, r40. Silicon Valley is full of them.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2016 3:38 AM

[quote]"We fought so hard to get where we are now, that not standing here would be to turn a blind eye to this," Kahtya Tehnsion, a local drag queen, protesting at The Hive Sunday said."

Why does a drag queen want to use the women's room? Drag is all about being a man dressed as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2016 3:50 AM

[quote]Why does a drag queen want to use the women's room? Drag is all about being a man dressed as a woman.

All this brouhaha -- everyone is getting confused

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2016 3:54 AM

[quote]So what happened to "We just want to pee"?

I've never heard that. I've heard a lot of "We want a bathroom that's safe," with the implication that men's bathrooms aren't safe for transgenders. The gay rights group I go to has done this subject to death, and the focus is always on the danger men present to transgendered MtFs. However, this obviously cannot be the reason if unisex bathrooms are deemed unacceptable - what could be safer than a single use bathroom where you're the only one using it?

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2016 4:05 AM

For r46 ......also there are MANY more videos/twitter tirades involving "I just have to pee"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2016 4:11 AM

Hurray for this business owner and sensible man. If I lived in the area, I would absolutely patronize his business.

He has offered a reasonable solution and, true to screeching harpy form, the T's can't fucking stand it.

It has to be all about them and their fetish being validated. Reason is out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2016 4:23 AM

So, I work with people who are physically disabled...it enrages me to see the T movement shit on the unisex bathrooms as if they are some kind of consolation prize. And don't get me started with the "trans disabled" who identify as those who actually have to deal with bathroom access problems on A DAILY BASIS.

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2016 5:43 AM

kind of a good read...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2016 7:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!