Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best British Sitcoms Part II

Continuing from Part I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2018 11:12 PM

Never heard of several of these choices..

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2016 9:54 PM

They brought back 'Birds of a Feather' about a year or so ago for a new series after more than a decade.

What's it like?

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2016 10:21 PM

What about Good Neighbors?!

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2016 10:49 PM

Peter Sallis from "Last of the Summer Wine" is still alive.

Just turned 95.

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2016 10:51 PM

I watch Good Life/Neighbors only for Penelope Keith. Can't stand the couple.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2016 1:44 AM

Voted

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2016 6:58 AM

Vicar of Dibley leads Father Ted.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2016 8:18 AM

Vicar was great because it was twee and broad at the same time. And, well, Dawn French.

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2016 8:24 AM

That dumb girl in VOD gets a bit too much.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2016 2:04 PM

Vote

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2016 9:54 PM

I notice in both threads the conspicuous omission of IT AIN’T HALF HOT, MUM.

It’s to be expected though, as no channel airs it anymore. I suppose that’s because of the racial humour. It’s a shame in some ways; while the jokes were often thin or dusty, the musical numbers were always top-notch and the show did fine work keeping music-Hall standards alive in the 60s & 70s. Don Estelle was a songbird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2017 5:32 PM

What about Coupling?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2017 5:41 PM

Be honest, ppl are only voting for VoD because of Richard Armitage’s guest appearances.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2017 5:42 PM

What, none of you fuckers ever heard of a little show called Two's Company?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2017 5:59 PM

Any such poll without Allo, Allo is illegitimate.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2017 6:08 PM

I thought Father Ted was hilarious. All the actors were great and I loved Graham Norton as the trendy young priest. I was never fond of The Vicar of Dibley. Couldn't stand Bless Me Father (ugh !)

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2017 7:36 PM

Graham Norton as Father Ned Furlong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2017 7:49 PM

Wait, NO Absolutely Fabulous?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2017 7:57 PM

I'm surprised the OP didn't throw in a PBS pledge drive appeal. These are like the top 10 shows old people watch on Saturday nights.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2017 8:27 PM

Rename your thread OP -- Least Known British Sitcoms Part Who Cares.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2017 8:47 PM

OP MY FAMILY was absolutely egregious and went on far too long. Even the divine Zoe Wanamaker & the delectable Robert Lindsay couldn’t do a thing with it. The only funny element in the whole program was the batshit (and creepy-hot) eldest son who’d surface occasionally to smash the frame. Everything else was pablum.

Robert’s best sitcom was the blissfully-Surreal and obscure late-night gem that was 1990’s NIGHTINGALES. It’s been almost 30 years and I still don’t understand it, nor do I want or need to. It’s a lovely example of what magic can happen when you allow improv actor to just....go. It’s like a sitcom written by Thomas Pynchon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2017 10:02 PM

I can't decide between OFITG and Father ted. It's vexing.

by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2017 10:05 PM

Father Ted is the best - though it's not British, it's Irish.

The best British sitcom - AbFab - is not listed

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2017 10:08 PM

Raised by Wolves - newish and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2017 11:14 PM

Would "Bob and Margaret" qualify? It's an animated Canadian-British series and it was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2017 11:50 PM

I also love CHEF.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2017 12:24 AM

“Mind the wood block floors!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2017 12:26 AM

Ummmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2017 1:10 AM

Good gawd r21 I thought I was the only person left alive who remembered that! It was truly inspired. (There’s nobody here but us chickens!)

I loved Plebs. Set in Ancient Rome, about three British guys - two scribes and their slave. The slave, Grumio, was hysterical.

Also Green Wing. Stupendously funny, set in a hospital with the sublime Michelle Gomez as the psychotic HR consultant. If you can find Green Wing do yourself a favor and watch it.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2017 1:18 AM

You forgot 'Black Books'!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2017 1:30 AM

The Thick of It

Peep Show

Alan Partridge

The Office

/end thread

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2017 1:32 AM

"Miranda" starring Miranda Hart and featuring a pre-"Lucifer" Tom Ellis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2017 6:01 AM

I guess all the big and popular ones were used up in the first thread? AbFab, The Blackadder comedy series, Mr. Bean, Fawlty Towers, Little Britain, etc.

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2017 6:22 AM

Steptoe and Son was comedic genius. Pathos, drama, slapstick, clever soliloquies, endlessly talented performances. It’s old but truly excellent.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2017 7:49 PM

I chuffing loved the first three seasons of PLEBS.

The fourth is rubbish. Losing Stylax, Cynthia & Metella has really fucked it. At least we've still got Grumio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2018 10:16 PM

What about The New Statesman?

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2018 10:27 PM

Mrs Brown

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2018 10:33 PM

One should also consider Yes, Minister.

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2018 10:38 PM

And where is the link to part I, lazy OP? Can't believe no one has mentioned this.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2018 10:40 PM

R38 Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2018 10:43 PM

I never tire of watching "As Time Goes By". It's so witty and sweet. Judy Dench and Geoffrey Palmer are so well matched, and play off of one-other effortlessly, and the supporiing cast is wonderful.

It wasn't among the choices above, but I still love "Are You Being Served?". I know that it's extremely dated, politically incorrect, and probably amounts to something of a guilty pleasure, but I don't care. Slocombe, Humphries, Lucas, Brahms and Peacock still make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2018 10:49 PM

My local PBS stations seem to finally have let go of the British comedies. Thirty years of One Foot in the Grave and Are you Being Served played almost on a loop really stretched things to the breaking point.

I suppose the licensing fees for the excellent new programs like The IT Crowd and W1A are too high.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2018 10:52 PM

Also Red Dwarf an Monty Python's Flying Circus.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2018 10:55 PM

"Vicious" reruns were airing on PBS for quite a while, though I think they might have ended, as I haven't noticed any episodes lately. They seem to be focusing more on British dramas now, things like "Call the Midwife", and the wonderful mystery anthology, "Unforgotten".

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2018 11:16 PM

I had thought that One Foot in the Grave was relatively obscure.

Dishy cop Harry was the best thing about As Time Goes By. Judy and Sandy seemed like quite a lesbo-erotic pairing to me. Alastair was kind of cute at times, but usually so obnoxious as to cancel that out. Mrs. Bale, frankly, owned the show.

I knew Josephine Tewson as the landlady on Shelley, before seeing Liz next door on KUA.

My dad loved the series Rising Damp.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2018 11:36 PM

All Dads love Reggie Perrin too, R45.

Leonard Rossiter just spoke to middle-aged male angst, somehow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2018 6:48 AM

Did Lydia Rose Bewley know Tom Rosenthal before PLEBS? They seem close friends (have they dated?), and share a connection with fellow young comic actor Simon Bird (best-known as Will from INBETWEENERS); Bewley knows Bird through INBETWEENERS, Rosenthal knows him through FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER.

Bewley/Rosenthal have excellent chemistry on-screen, and I wanted to see more of it with Metella & Marcus as a couple on PLEBS. As Stylax (RIP) pointed out they made a perfect pair and seemed to fall in love quickly & easily after sleeping together. The couple could have been a natural dramatic through-line to underscore all the Plebeian hijinks. Then again, I suppose it would have been a bit much to have middle-class Marcus grow to love two slaves (Grumio is basically a brother and/or heterosexual life-partner to him at this point).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2018 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!