Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Just got this great film from the library to watch again. Peter Finch, Glenda Jackson and Murray Head as the object of their desire. The 70s were such a GREAT decade for films! Sex, nudity were presented as a matter of course....

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2021 3:04 AM

Not to mention 13-year-old Daniel Day Lewis scratching cars...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2016 8:17 PM

nasty

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2016 8:19 PM

Intelligent movie exploring bisexuality with men and women in adult relationships.

Would not be made today.

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2016 8:21 PM

R2--what's "nasty" about it?

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2016 8:26 PM

Agree it could never be made today (sadly). Not only that, TCM actually CUTS the kiss early in the film between the two men, and also clips out some of the nudity. I just like the matter of fact way the relationships are presented, as well as the 70s lifestyle (the kids smoke weed, etc). And those glass sculptures were fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2016 8:27 PM

And not to forget -- I have not -- Elizabeth Schwarzkopf's quartet from Cosi fan tutti -- such a beautiful choice.

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2016 8:41 PM

Not widely known, but Head would go on to record the 80's classic "One night in Bankok."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2016 8:51 PM

Are you children smoking pot?

Are you Bourgeois?

by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2016 8:56 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2016 1:34 PM

[quote]TCM actually CUTS the kiss early in the film between the two men, and also clips out some of the nudity.

Are you sure TCM censors movies? AMC, I would believe.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2016 3:53 PM

I couldn't believe it either R10, until I went to the imdb page. (I wanted to see if it was June Brown (Dot Cotton) playing one of Peter Finch's patients...it was). Anyway, this was a topic on the discussion boards. Pretty ironic, since the site also shows a copy of the 1971 poster with the two men in full clinch! I love TCM, but this makes me sick. I watch a lot of their foreign films, even though it irks me that they schedule them for 1 am on Sunday mornings...but I always assumed TCM showed movies complete and uncut. Some of the posters said they contacted TCM about this and received no reply.

*sigh* GOD, I miss the 1970s.....!

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2016 4:05 PM

That's concerning, R11. Except for their unfortunate foray into colorization, I thought TCM was about faithful restoration.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2016 4:31 PM

An absolute masterpiece: possibly the best film of the 1970s. Glenda Jackson should have won a 3rd Oscar for the movie, but it was not well publicized in the United States. I particularly loved the scene where she was having dinner with her parents, her dad steps out to take a phone call and she gets into a conversation about compromise in relationships with her mother, played by Peggy Ashcroft. You would expect the mother to be closed off, but she opens up and is very sympathetic to her daughter's relationship issues. Glenda has deservedly been a Datalounge icon for years.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2016 4:36 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2016 4:37 PM

Glenda Jackson is an icon. Everything she did was perfection. She is still who you think of when you think of Queen Elizabeth I.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2016 4:43 PM

5 years late to the thread, but . . . R6, the famous operatic selection excerpted at various points in the film, then played complete under the credits, isn't "Elizabeth [sic] Schwarzkopf's quartet [sic] from Cosi fan tutti [sic]" but rather the beautiful *trio* "Soave sia il vento" from COSÌ FAN TUTTE, recorded specially for the film by Pilar Lorengar, Yvonne Minton and Barry McDaniel (and conducted by Richard Bonynge boy-toy Douglas Gamley).

MARY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2021 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!