Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deadwood (series, and now a movie.... hopefully)

Any fans of the most amazing TV show ever here? About a month ago there were rumours (again) of a movie, but this time it seems like it actually might happen. If you are a fan, why do you like it so much, what was your favorite character and storyline?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2019 3:45 AM

WHAAAT? Great news if true!

I mean to rematch it soon, after I've finished with The Shield.

It took me until quite far in to Season One to 'get' Deadwood. Then you start to appreciate that the town functions in the show as symbolic of industrial capitalism. The way people are chewed up by the sex work and the mine and the power struggles and spat out is very brutal and compelling.

Favorite characters were E.B. Farnum, the theatre troupe boss played by Brian Cox, and Trixie.

by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2016 11:00 AM

This scene always makes me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 5, 2016 5:56 PM

Is Cousin Geri going to be in it?

by Anonymousreply 3February 5, 2016 6:05 PM

The first season is brilliant, sheer perfection. The second and third seasons weren't as good but still far above most "quality" shows.

by Anonymousreply 4February 5, 2016 7:04 PM

I didn't like the Widow - that story drug the rest of the show down.

My favorite story line was the gradual decline of the Minister and how Al eventually killed him as an act of mercy. Al did terrible shit, but you appreciated that he did a terrible thing that needed to be done and no one else wanted to do. My favorite character was the Doctor because he tried (with mixed success) to appeal to Al's more decent side. Considering how many of the DW actors showed up in other shows, I'm always surprised the guy that played the doctor didnt go on to bigger things.

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2016 7:07 PM

'that story drug the rest of the show down.'

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2016 8:25 PM

Did anyone else notice that the always unnerving actor (because he's so good at psychos) Garret Dillahunt played two different villains on the show? One was in the first season and the other in, I think, the last.

I loved the way Joanie always wore a top hat.

The great thing was the dialogue. It was as if Shakespeare had written a western.

by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2016 8:36 PM

I gave up sometime during the beginning of the last season when Al Swearengen started talking in ridiculous over the top monologues that were akin to Shakespearean verse. I kept rolling my eyes and thinking that nobody would talk that way. I soon learned that HBO wouldn't be picking it up for another season. I figured if HBO gave up why should I invest anymore time in the show.

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2016 8:57 PM

R5 The guy who played Doc is Brad Dourif, he's had a long and consistent career.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2016 10:37 PM

R5 he was also the voice of Chucky.

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2016 2:29 AM

r7, Yes, Garret Dillahunt was amazing on Deadwood. First as that droopy eyed coward Jack McCall and later as Hearst's henchman Francis Wolcott. It would be awesome if Dillahunt came back as yet another character in the Deadwood movie.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2016 3:22 PM

Timothy Olyphant is a GOD.

I'd make time to watch him if he was in a tampon commercial

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2016 3:37 PM

I absolutely loved Deadwood. It, certainly, never got the attention it deserved in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2016 3:50 PM

By coincidence, Garrett Dillahunt played a psycho villain and Timothy Olyphant a noble hero in yet another cable TV series, Justified, which is one of the best series I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2016 4:15 PM

BTW...Here is a "useless bit of infomation"....Timothy Olyphant mother is a Vanderbilt And I saw him naked in a sauna, he is "very well-built"and Yes, I wish I sucked his cock and swallowed his Babies but alas I did not!!

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2016 4:36 PM

R15 = Dean Cain

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2016 5:12 PM

Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood, with that hat and suit, is probably one of the best looking men I've seen. I think it's mostly his body in that type of clothing, very nice. And this is coming from a les!!

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2016 8:07 PM

It's finally happening. Filming to start in October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2018 4:38 PM

I found the other Deadwood thread where Olyphant was quoted as saying it's never gonna happen, back in March.

Bet that check changed his mind real quick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2018 4:41 PM

Teaser. May 31st.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 21, 2019 9:30 PM

Ian McShane is a fucking God! End of discussion. (not really, have fun....)

by Anonymousreply 21March 21, 2019 10:43 PM

I loved this series. So many good actors. Titus Welliver stars in [italic]Bosch[/italic] and Brent Sexton showed up in season 2.

That guy who played the preacher, Ray McKinnon, won an Oscar for a film short. He turned up on [italic]Sons of Anarchy[/italic], as did Dayton Callie and Robin Weigert.

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2019 11:09 PM

This show first turned me on to Timothy Oliphant and 'Justified' sealed the deal.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2019 12:41 AM

r20, thank you!! really exciting teaser. Jane firing her gun, wonder what that's all about.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2019 12:56 AM

Fantastic show. This is the one show that I would love to have a second life. Very excited.

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2019 3:14 AM

Is it too edgy for the housewives, though?

r23 Same, although Justified hasn't aged that well.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2019 3:29 AM

Kim Dickens, aka Joanie Stubbs, still looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2019 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!