Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bathhouses continue to go the way of the Do-Do. One of London's largest gay saunas closes it doors

I know some of bitches have been there.

[quote]One of London’s biggest gay saunas will be closing its doors after more than 20 years. Chariots Spa in London’s Shoreditch neighborhood will be demolished to make way for a high-end 200-bedroom hotel along with shopping and office space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 27, 2019 8:36 AM

I would have opened an edgy ad agency there.

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2016 9:33 PM

I'm more upset about Shoredtich's gentrification than I am about the saunas closing.

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2016 9:34 PM

It's "dodo", genius.

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2016 9:36 PM

Yikes! Do guys still feel the need to go to bathhouses in this day and age? And before you old farts say it was a part of gay culture, I have to say its really an odd way to define yourself. Basically, what you are saying is being gay means you embrace closeted trashy spa queens.

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2016 9:42 PM

R4, apparently one of the hallmarks of being gay is judging others and belittling their choices.

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2016 9:54 AM

[quote]I have to say its really an odd way to define yourself. Basically, what you are saying is being gay means you embrace closeted trashy spa queens.

Judgemental much, frau? Some of the most stunning men in the world go to saunas. And the establisments come in all varieties: from the rundown, to ones that are stunning such as Babylon. Pity straights who will never know the pleasure of sitting by a beautiful pool & having a meal, watching a first run movie, enjoying a massage and spa, and then choosing someone delightful to have sex with -- all the very same building. A very handsome Vicomte of my acquaintence from one oldest families in France even moved into one during his student years! So fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2016 10:06 AM

OMG! A tragedy!

It's been there 20 whole years and such a beautiful building as well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2016 10:11 AM

[quote] Yikes! Do guys still feel the need to go to bathhouses in this day and age? And before you old farts say it was a part of gay culture, I have to say its really an odd way to define yourself. Basically, what you are saying is being gay means you embrace closeted trashy spa queens.

As an old fart, let me chime in and say we didn't (and I still don't) live our lives with our faces buried in our smart phones. We actually went out and met people, had face to face conversations, and fucked...a lot. Bathhouses and bars were social centers, not just places to have sex, as R6 points out.

But to a generation whose members go to a bar yet never look up from their phones, and cannot even wait 2 minutes on the subway platform without checking messages, the concept of sitting around, taking in your surroundings, approaching another human being for a real conversation (or even just a proposition) is something they just don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2016 11:30 AM

For about 8 months (I was 20 years old - 1997) I went regularly to a bathhouse placed near my home. My sexual performance improved during this time and I thanks a lot for this. But then I decided to stop because I realized there was something wrong going on, the aspect of some haunters, their face, there was so much darkness, emptiness and despair. I believe the spiritual obssession happens in a huge scale in such places. Then, between 2005 and 2006 I went sometimes, but didn't have sex. I felt an urge to left the scene. Energetically the atmosphere is very sticky.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2016 11:56 AM

This place sound filthy, filthy, filthy. I can only imagine all the diseases that the gays passed around at this awful place. For the life of me I will never understand you boys.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2016 12:20 PM

Not for lack of business, they lost the space and are seeking a new one near Elephant and Castle.

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2016 12:24 PM

The Days of Wine and Roses........

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2016 1:11 PM

Only stupid, prissy cunts like r4, bent on hating, would let batthouse attendance "define" somebody.

Surprise! They do other things!

by Anonymousreply 13February 5, 2016 2:31 PM

[quote]Only stupid, prissy cunts like [R4], bent on hating

Is that you mother?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 5, 2016 3:20 PM

What color is the sky in your world R6. I have been to several of these, never had I seen a stunning guy as you describe,. Usually old, saggy men, unattractive men and a cross section of Asians and other minorities. Why would hot guys go there when they have guys already hitting on them in normal daylight. First run movies? What decade was that 1940? Hollywood does not release first run movies to bath houses, unless you count Netfix. A friend of yours moved to one for several months? Wow, that's one way to beat cheap room rates. Your pompous description is hilarious. All of those places are dumbs and you know it. Show me one that has a so call beautiful pool. Link Please.

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2016 12:09 PM

In the US they closed most of these during the AIDS crisis in the 1980s. Of the few that remained legally, people stopped going. Pretty much only bottom feeders go these days. Or guys still in the closet leading a double life, wife at home, kind of thing. Come out into the sunlight, fellas, its OK to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2016 12:14 PM

Wow some of the idiots on this thread are so judgemental. Oh diseases!! Oh old dirty yuk yuk yuk.

I suggest one day you step out of your phone and go to a sauna like Kaiserbrundl in Vienna, designed in a Moorish way during the Hapsburg Empire and one of the most beautiful bathhouses in the world. Perhaps you may like something like the Boiler in Berlin. As a gay man you have to see it yourself. Hundreds and I mean hundreds of beautiful men walking around playing , drinking and having a wonderful time in surroundings like nightclub, with a spa so large that people walk around in it laughing and chatting. Meanwhile for the voyear you can go into the steam room and watch the men in the spa from the bottom half of the guys. The world is an amazing place, just because the puritans landed in America in the 17thCentury does not mean you need to perpetuate sour grapes and moral homilies in the 21st.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2016 2:06 PM

It's not really any great loss. The place was flithy, populated largely by posing muscle marys who were too off their faces on ecstasy to actually perform, and stank of cum.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2016 2:25 PM

I grew up sexually going to bathhouses but then also realize it skewed how I responded to men-- I saw them solely as sex objects and I couldn't date properly.

I'm in a long term partnership now and have no need for sex with lots of different partners.

Bathhouses are nice but so many people in them seem so lonely

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2016 2:34 PM

[R19] You are right, they are full of lonely men, especially older men who wander around like ghosts hoping to get off with younger guys. It'skind of tragic. On the other hand they provide a release for sexual frustration. I have been to several in London, and have a very ambivalent feeling to them. They are places to go when you are horny, but at the same time rather clinical and soulless.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2016 2:55 PM

For me the better places weren't solely gay. They didn't have that intensity and self-consciuosness about them. If you didn't hook up you didn't feel so rejected or sad or whatever.

Porchester Baths in London was one of those places and it has a nice history to it. Had lots of fun there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2016 3:22 PM

It is closing because of redevelopment in that area, not because of declining business.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2016 3:26 PM

The reason bath house are so big in Germany R17 is that gays there are still basically suffering from internalized homophobia. They go and have their "dirty sex" at public sex places but would never think of taking a guy home with him. For all their sex clubs and events its still seen as a perversion in their mind.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2016 10:25 AM

No one can interpret your word salad r9. Try again in English.

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2016 10:33 AM

Last time I was in Berlin, condoms......what are those. HIV is more then just a simple cold R17.

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2016 10:33 AM

R24 your comment about R9 is a good example of the type of guys that go there. Bath houses are a Tweekers paradise.

by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2016 10:36 AM

They found a space and will re-open in the former Browns near Elephant and Castle.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2016 4:20 PM

A bathhouse was a safer place to hook up. You didn't worry about your place or his or dealing with traffic. You simply went, found a decent guy, fucked like bunnies using condoms, cleaned up, and then went home.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2016 4:31 PM

Doo-doo!

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2016 4:37 PM

I've been in YMCA's that are family friendly and have seen just as much hanky panky in those saunas and steam rooms as I have in a gay bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2016 4:41 PM

I went there once!

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2016 4:47 PM

This is sad.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2016 5:00 PM

R28, thanks for proving my point. Most European bath houses are for gay men who are homophobes. Oh, its too much work to take a guy to your house really? Straing men don't seem to have this problem. You see being gay as only getting off in some annonomoys place like taking a dump at a public restroom. It's much more difficult to show your friends or family that you are dating another man, in fact it takes balls sometime. Something that seems missing in Euro countires. Go ahead, just keep pretending you are out all the while you keep your life hidden in the stalls of mens restroom and bath houses. But in now way are you progressive or being honest with yourself or to others about who you are.

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2016 12:42 AM

Did you note the use of the past tense, you moron @ R33?

by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2016 1:18 AM

Don't forget R28, guys went to bathhouses because in order to meet people, you had to actually show up somewhere in the presence of other like minded people. There was no internet. Maybe all you had was mail personals from the local paper, possibly overpriced chat lines. So if you wanted to virtually guarantee you'd get laid, you went to a bathhouse, because that was a place where people showed up to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2016 1:24 AM

You guys are all living in the past. Remember when we didn't have cell phones? Well yes, I actually do. It sucked. And no I don't blame anyone for going to a bath house back in the stone age. But its 2016, for god sake, gay marriage is legal in the vast majority of first world countries. If you are still going to them now, I am sorry but you do fit the homophobic self hating, wont admit your gay in public stereotype. You think sex is dirty and therefore want to leave every trace of it behind when you are done. Let me guess, you are probably the type that says they are not into the gay scene or lifestyle too.

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2016 6:21 AM

I remember when the word gay used to mean happy. But then the homos took the word for themselves which is odd to me since the homosexual lifestyle is anything BUT happy. It's a life filled with unhappiness, sadness, and huge rates of depression. Pretty ironical, isn't it now?

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2016 11:30 AM

Sad you to hear you apparantly live in such a shithouse part of the world, R16.

[quote] Show me one that has a so call beautiful pool.

My local.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 11, 2016 12:24 PM

So fucking what?

Bathhouses are for those who don't want to be labeled with the gay word. Good for them. If they are hot, hairy and masculine I will pound their asses into next Tuesday. I don't require that my holes have some public declaration of gayness.

by Anonymousreply 39February 11, 2016 12:42 PM

[quote]Bathhouses are for those who don't want to be labeled with the gay word.

Where the fuck did you read that? Life Magazine 1962?

by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2016 12:48 PM

The Deutsche Eiche (German Oak) is an old, traditional Munich restaurant. At the same time, the establishment is probably one of the oldest meeting places of the gay-lesbian scene and Munich creative artists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2016 1:09 PM

Bathhouse Blues here. I'm the world renowned expert on Bathhouse etiquette and culture.

Any questions, fire away!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2016 1:12 PM

This thread is just painful to read in general.

by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2016 1:24 PM

This thread is an alphabet soup. But so are the saunas in London: guys off their face on G, E, C and research chemicals du jour.

by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2016 1:40 PM

Sock. Just sick. No two ways about it. Keep on mocking Him.

by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2016 2:30 PM

I love bathhouses and am sorry to see them go. I do agree with the critic earlier in the thread. Meeting guys in the flesh, being turned on by them, blending pheromones in a sexually charged atmosphere is trashy and isolating when compared with the deep intimacy and connection one can feel with his gay brothers on a telephone hook up app. #thatssomeaningful

by Anonymousreply 46February 11, 2016 4:22 PM

OP meant the doo-doo on the bathhouse floor.

by Anonymousreply 47February 11, 2016 4:48 PM

Hear, hear, r46.

I miss the "what you see is what you really get" aspect of bathhouses and cruises. No awkward conversations and having to throw someone out of your house when they show up looking horribly different from their pics.

I also miss the fact that people would fuck a little out-of-their-league in cruising spots because they went to all the trouble to show up already. You would settle for somebody not perfect and you would also get sex with somebody hotter than you sometimes because he did the same.

Now people don't even bother meeting unless they come across Ryan Gosling's photo on Grindr.

Who turns out to be a drastic fake.

by Anonymousreply 48February 11, 2016 4:54 PM

Agree R48. Hookup apps have made it impossible unless you have a portfolio of professionally photoshopped images to share. It wasn't like that just a few short years ago, but here we are. People at bathhouses want to get laid, so a lot of the weird behavior is minimized. Guys just get to it.

And you sex negative trolls can suck my fat cock the way they do at the bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 49February 11, 2016 5:29 PM

We knew how to be homosexuals back then!

Now it's just gay guys trying to be like straight people.

by Anonymousreply 50February 11, 2016 6:08 PM

My gym is basically a bathhouse, so no need for going to the real thing. Bonus points for mostly in shape and not drugged out guys.

by Anonymousreply 51February 11, 2016 6:38 PM

Everything with you homos is sex, sex, sex. You eroticize everything. It's not natural. Actually ot's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 52February 11, 2016 8:05 PM

Turn that frown upside down lil closet cases there's always the park.

by Anonymousreply 53February 11, 2016 8:24 PM

That's called a pity fuck R48. No thanks, I am not fucking old trolls just because I am too lazy to hook up with someone I am attracted to. And to be honest, pity fucks are the real fakes. At least guys on apps are up front about what they want.

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2016 3:48 AM

R39 proves my point, bath houses are for closet cases, mostly old trolls or younger guys so fucked up on X or Tina they will do any thing with anyone including homophobic trolls who enjoy their low standards under the influence of chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2016 3:51 AM

that seems to be true R42, Asian swarm to gay bath houses like bees to honey. Only thing is, they down want each other, they want the one white guy in there. Then they complain that the white guy is racist because he is looking for another white guy, meanwhile, they will not touch a black or Hispanic or even another Asian guy.

by Anonymousreply 56February 12, 2016 4:08 AM

I meet my husband at Bangkok Babylon .

by Anonymousreply 57February 12, 2016 4:09 AM

R38, sorry your HIV rate in Germany is also out of control because most are in denial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 12, 2016 4:16 AM

When London was cold and damp, so was Chariots. I remember being cold in the corridors. that place snaked around oddly. On the other hand, I had some VERY HOT sex there and English cock can be massive, thick, and English guys are kinky and smutty. It was another era, for sure. It was pretty much a dump there were are more pleasant and intriguing saunas around the world at that time.

by Anonymousreply 59February 12, 2016 4:18 AM

What's the difference from using Grindr for quick, anonymous hookup and going to the baths for the same?

by Anonymousreply 60February 12, 2016 4:39 AM

I love these threads, partially for the nostalgia, partially to find posters to block.

Miss Gorillas in the Mist needs to go back to her quilting forum. We do not want your understanding, nor your judgmental posts.

by Anonymousreply 61February 12, 2016 4:44 AM

Who's that R61?? Who's that?!

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2016 4:50 AM

What's wrong with birdhouses?

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2016 4:59 AM

R60, Grinder is for gay men under say 30, bath houses mostly attract guys 60 plus. With grinder you have to show a pic, and if its fake, your not going to get anything. With bath house, the older troll gays are hopeing you will be desperate enough to pity fuck them. Plus, you can have sex with 5 guys in a row in less than an hour spreading a lot more STIs and HIV then if you met one preson at a time on Grinder.

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2016 5:13 AM

Your logic is dismissable, R64.

by Anonymousreply 65February 12, 2016 5:20 AM

Dismissible R65? Thanks for proving my point, bath house patrons are in denial.

by Anonymousreply 66February 12, 2016 5:22 AM

Grinder has filters, bath houses do not. That is a big difference in my book. Imaging if all the freaks you block on Grinder showed up at your house and you had to let them in. That is what a bath house is like.

by Anonymousreply 67February 12, 2016 5:29 AM

Grossest. Places. On. Earth.

AIDS incubators. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 68February 12, 2016 5:39 AM

R67, you don't have to fuck them, you know. You don't have to fuck anyone.

by Anonymousreply 69February 12, 2016 5:43 AM

I'm with R68, Grossest places on earth, also an elder gay.

by Anonymousreply 70February 12, 2016 5:49 AM

"you don't have to fuck them" yeah, but I still have to look at them naked. I still have to put up with their advances. I still have to deal with the tweekers and drug addicts. Sorry but if I wanted to hook up these days, Grinder is a much better option.

by Anonymousreply 71February 12, 2016 5:53 AM

With Grinder or other apps, you at least know where you got something if you end up at the free clinic. You have an address or at the very least a cell phone number that can be tracked down to let them know they have something. Bath houses are totally anonymous, so good luck finding out who gave you crabs or herpes. And because it is so anonymous, guys who have stuff like that going on are less likely to tell you. They just want to get off and disappear. There is a reason they were shut down mostly voluntarily in the US. I guess Euro gays, especially elder ones really like living in the shadows.

by Anonymousreply 72February 12, 2016 6:00 AM

Yeah, R72. They really want to get a phone call from you complaining that they gave you crabs. You too much, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 73February 12, 2016 6:07 AM

Yeah, R73, it guess its much better getting AIDS from a Bath House so I don't have the "phone call" that might actually save my life. Go ahead, keep going to the BH and living in denial.

by Anonymousreply 74February 12, 2016 6:14 AM

R74, no trick is ever, ever going to call you and tell you he now has HIV and you may have it. He doesn't know you from Adam, doesn't know your name, why would he have your phone number? Get lost.

by Anonymousreply 75February 12, 2016 6:37 AM

Ugh, R42. Between you, and Mr. Go Asian, none of you do your race any favours.

Just ick.

by Anonymousreply 76February 12, 2016 6:38 AM

Yeah R74, your Grindr hookup ALREADY knows he has HIV. He doesn't give a shit about giving it to you.

by Anonymousreply 77February 12, 2016 6:55 AM

Sorry, maybe that is how people are in your part of the world. At least with Grinder, you have a profile. You have each others number usually by the time you hook up. You usually have and address unless you are some whore doing it in the bushes. Some guys actually will pass on the info. Its actually required I think if you go to a clinic. There is also an anonymous way to send people a text or email if you are too shy and irresponsible. Also, you can name the guy and warn others on your profile. You cant do any of that in a bath house. So guys using apps are a little more respectful. Not by a lot but better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 78February 12, 2016 7:40 AM

Big Ang, thanks her fans on Twitter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 12, 2016 8:50 AM

Opps, sorry about that, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 80February 12, 2016 8:52 AM

If HIV was not a big issue in bath houses, then explain this HIV Vending machine. LOL Just keeping it real, go to where the source is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 12, 2016 9:00 AM

You Euro gays are only 2 decades behind the times of social change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 12, 2016 10:50 AM

R78 is laughably delusional.

by Anonymousreply 83February 12, 2016 11:25 AM

R83 thinks Grinder is something to make sausage with. He is thinking about getting one of those cordless phones that everyone seems to have these days but his is pissed off that there are no phone booths anywhere....except maybe the bath house.

by Anonymousreply 84February 12, 2016 11:29 AM

The thing about bathhouses and other cruising spots (like gay book and video stores) was that, back in the ol' days, those were the only places where guys could come together and be gay and have gay sex without judgement from the Christian hetero peanut gallery. And I think bathhouses will make a comeback real soon thanks to the SJWs joining the Christian hetero bigots judging gay men for being vile pigs, for having the audacity to definine themselves based on their genitals and what they like to do with them, once again.

Once the haters harass gay guys on social media (including hookup apps like Grindr or Scruff) gay guys will very likey move on to nostalgic means to meet horny guys.

by Anonymousreply 85February 12, 2016 11:45 AM

Bathhouses are a good place to hook up when you can't entertain (because of your living situation). It's not just closet cases, it's also guys who, due to financial reasons, live with their parents, live in a "shoe box" (super small apartment with thin walls), have roommates, etc.

And it's a good "public" place to hook up with guys when you are afraid of getting robbed or murdered by your trick.

by Anonymousreply 86February 12, 2016 12:00 PM

I agree with the first part of your statement R85, but times have changed and these old queens on here seem to be in shock that the world moved on and no longer sees their outdated view of how gays should hide in the bath house is some how an aristocratic retreat. Most are total dumps these days, most have lots of people tweaking on drugs, crime, street trash, and very old men. Gay men don't need to do that anymore to hook up. at any age These old Euro gays are just jealous that its much easer and cleaner and you can screen them out on Grinder or Scruff. They are hoping for a pity fuck because they will be the only one around when you get there. They want to continue living in the closet and pretend they are straight to the outside world by saying "its not anyone's business". But in reality its just a cover for deep seated internalized homophobia.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you about the SJWs. Even if there was a swing back to the bath house, which I doubt based on how most of the younger gays all just want to get married, the SJW I guarantee you would find a way to be let into the bath house just like they do into any bathroom. That's their ultimate goal anyway, to force people who don't want anything to do with them to have sex with them. Since the T is still in LGBT, they will make a stink about how the gay community is discriminating against them.

As far as bath houses being gross these days, don't take my word for it, look at this young guys description of his first time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 12, 2016 12:16 PM

R64 Boiler in Berlin refuses admission to the old and fat and thus a young crowd patronizes it very well.

If American bath houses banned the trolls then the young would go.

by Anonymousreply 88February 12, 2016 12:23 PM

I blocked one cranky hater and half the thread disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 89February 12, 2016 12:47 PM

You have an age max limit in Berlin? Wow, you really are a segregated population arnt you. That would never fly for anything in the US. What's next, cant go in if you don't have blue eyes and blond hair?

by Anonymousreply 90February 12, 2016 12:49 PM

The truth is if you banned old and fat people you probably would get more attractive younger people who patronized it. But yes, that would never fly, nor should it.

by Anonymousreply 91February 12, 2016 12:53 PM

What a sick, sick lifestyle you boys lead. And you wonder why normal straight people characterize you as vile disease-riddled whores.

by Anonymousreply 92February 12, 2016 12:56 PM

FF R92

by Anonymousreply 93February 12, 2016 1:37 PM

[quote] The truth is if you banned old and fat people you probably would get more attractive younger people who patronized it. But yes, that would never fly, nor should it.

One Bathhouse in Korea is

"You cannot enter here if you are fat, or 45 years or older. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 12, 2016 1:44 PM

Older than 45 does not always equal ugly though. A few of my friends father's are late 46-51 and look quite edible. That is a few though and they don't have that creepy aura some of the eldergays have. :X

by Anonymousreply 95February 12, 2016 2:00 PM

Yeah, bathhouses would benefit from having special nights where, what are considered, trolls are not allowed to enter. And why not have "Daddy's" nights where older guys and younger guys who are into older guys can mingle?

by Anonymousreply 96February 12, 2016 3:03 PM

Bathhouses always smell like used bum to me.

by Anonymousreply 97February 12, 2016 3:37 PM

R78, but nobody uses those apps!

by Anonymousreply 98February 12, 2016 7:18 PM

R78 must be one of those Millenial fools we keep reading about!

by Anonymousreply 99February 12, 2016 7:25 PM

Oh please, R92, its no different then what you sick breeders do and on a much larger scale: Enjoy your BDSM club night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 12, 2016 8:58 PM

R100, I think R92 was just a gay man yanking your chain with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 101February 12, 2016 9:02 PM

R98, no one uses those apps? LOL what color is the sky in your world? Grinder has more than 6 million users, and that just that one App. There are more than a dozen apps just like that. Its 2016 not 1949 Dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 12, 2016 9:03 PM

I agree, in America they should do a Daddies night, that way if you wanted that, you know what you are getting. But it looks like most of the Euro trolls on here like the fact that young guys come in desperate so they twist a pity fuck out of them. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 103February 12, 2016 9:05 PM

R102 needs remedial lessons in reading comprehension. He must be a Millenial.

Clearly, I was speaking about the apps that allow you to tell your whore anonymous sex partner that you just gave him AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 104February 12, 2016 9:09 PM

Maybe R104 has not heard of Google. Here you go dipshit troll. Keep spreading your STDs around. Its 2016 gramps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 12, 2016 9:33 PM

R105, you clearly have sense of comprehension. Go back to your Hollywood Wives program, you'll feel better there.

by Anonymousreply 106February 12, 2016 11:49 PM

R106 = Denial, Denial, Denial. Go back to your drug infested STD/HIV factory bath house. I am sure you fit in quite well.

by Anonymousreply 107February 13, 2016 4:49 AM

[quote]You have an age max limit in Berlin? Wow, you really are a segregated population arnt you. That would never fly for anything in the US. What's next, cant go in if you don't have blue eyes and blond hair?

No age max limit, if you look good at 50 you are fine for boiler, but if you let yourself go, not fine. Discretionary door.

Many Turks and Syrians are there so race and hair color is not an issue.

There is another place in Berlin that allows anyone so the very fat, the sick and the old and out of shape go there.

by Anonymousreply 108February 13, 2016 12:33 PM

Wow, who makes the call? The door man? What if you are 20 but just really ugly? What's a good looing 50 year old guy to you? That could mean a lot of different things depending on how old you are.

by Anonymousreply 109February 15, 2016 11:11 AM

R109 Yes the door people. That is how discretionary door works. It is not so much about good looking by non objective standards but fit. You can see fat and fit and easily train people to deal with this. You can see poz face and train people to spot this. This is not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 110February 15, 2016 12:45 PM

It was sad when Boston's bathhouse closed over a decade ago.

I'm sure NYC's pathetic West Side Club and East Side Club will go soon. They both take up a lot of expensive real estate that developers will want to make into condos.

While much of the clientele is older, lots of pretty muscle boys are regulars too. To each his own.

by Anonymousreply 111February 15, 2016 12:51 PM

R111 Doubtful they will close, they are mob owned. The last of the the great mob. They are used to launder large amounts of cash from other enterprises.

by Anonymousreply 112February 15, 2016 1:38 PM

You need to go on prep just to read this thread. Nasty pervs.

by Anonymousreply 113February 15, 2016 1:44 PM

R87 sounds immature, sex-sad, and maybe a touch global anxiety disorder. The comments at the article referenced in R94 are interesting and some are even supportive.

Sorry millennials, but apps are not a superior substitute for real human interaction.

by Anonymousreply 114February 15, 2016 1:45 PM

Bath houses are going the way of do do? No wonder they're closing.

by Anonymousreply 115February 15, 2016 2:33 PM

I have posted on here before about the glory pre-Aids days of the St. Marks in NYC and the 8709 in LA. I was denied entry to the 8709 in 1982 because I didn't look like Toy Aikman. Both were glorious in the time. Then along came AIDS. It's really tragic how many lives the baths claimed.

by Anonymousreply 116February 15, 2016 3:07 PM

In 1982 they had discretionary doors?

I had no idea. I do have to admit that being in place like this with no trolls trying to glom on was very freeing.

by Anonymousreply 117February 15, 2016 3:48 PM

r117, the two I mentioned above were quite picky. They were the best in the country at the time . I was still in my mid-thirties, and I couldn't make it into 8709. I think that if I had slipped the attendant a gratuity there might have been a different outcome.

by Anonymousreply 118February 15, 2016 3:53 PM

I have a choice of several, all catering to different crowds and moods. The huge and pristine one has an under-30 night every week. Weekends draw hundreds, from ages 8 to 80 - so to speak. I feel sorry for those in cities not well catered for. But it does cost a fortune to set one up so you need gay entrepreneurs prepared to go the distance. I visited one tiny town where the sauna is run almost like a public charity! I love Thermos Day and Thermos Night in Amsterdam when I visited years ago. Had a great dinner in the former, cooked by a sweetie. I hope those are still going strong.

by Anonymousreply 119February 15, 2016 4:21 PM

[quote]It's really tragic how many lives the baths claimed.

That's such bullshit. People got AIDS everywhere. The line of thinking that saunas were an extra special vector was used in Sweden to close the saunas during AIDS. Which only increased the problem, because besides mainstream gays, lots of the guys who visit saunas (married, bi, marginal) are hard to reach. Countries which kept their saunas open were able to spread safe sex info and testing and counselling in the saunas to those subsets.

by Anonymousreply 120February 15, 2016 4:26 PM

I like bathhouses. They're good places to go to escape for a few hours and be around other gay men. It doesn't mean you're going to have unsafe sex or any sex at all, but if it happens, big deal--just be safe. But it's nice to have a place to go to walk around in a towel, be naked, watch TV, watch porn or just get away for a while without going away. Too bad the younger generation doesn't realize this and thinks Grindr is a substitute. It's not. I hate Grindr and other apps like it. Your phone is never a substitute for being around real people. And no, I'm not old. I just know difference between reality and fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2016 4:57 PM

I always got into Area, Danceteria, then Palladium + Mike Todd, then Nells then one day I did NOT get into Nell's and well that's life.

by Anonymousreply 122February 15, 2016 5:17 PM

R121 - it was total escape - I agree. But I always like ALL methods of finding sex. Apps have stolen away a lot of them.

public transport

cruisy parks, forests

cottaging

GAY BARS

trendy mixed bars and clubs

sidewalk

opera

parties

supermarkets

my younger friends will check out apps in all those situations rather than keeping their eyes and body language on alert for any interesting possible meets. most of the possible meets in many of the above situations have evaporated

by Anonymousreply 123February 15, 2016 5:22 PM

r122, where are (were) these? I'm 70 now, and I gladly admit to trolling in the bathhouses in their heyday. Just watching the gorgeous guys have sex was enough for me. Because I only trolled means I'm still here today. Trolling without the billy goats.

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2016 5:23 PM

I should add gym / fitness, too, but after university, I never got all that hot about meeting people in gyms.

by Anonymousreply 125February 15, 2016 5:24 PM

I could seroconvert just reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2016 6:20 PM

R126 Please do.

by Anonymousreply 127February 15, 2016 9:55 PM

Oh sweeteums I can assure you that will never happen. I don't engage in risky sex nor do I go to these dens of disease.

by Anonymousreply 128February 15, 2016 10:32 PM

I go to a bathhouse every so often. I don't want to bring strangers back to my place nor go to some strangers apartment. I only fuck with condoms. Nothing unsafe.

by Anonymousreply 129April 25, 2019 4:26 AM

The Swim Club is my happy place

by Anonymousreply 130April 27, 2019 2:10 AM

Doo-doo?

by Anonymousreply 131April 27, 2019 2:21 AM

Nobody ever mentions Day Thermos and Night Thermos in Amsterdam, quite nice for a few hours of great sex. London's bathhouses are damp and cold and unsexy.

by Anonymousreply 132April 27, 2019 2:33 AM

R4. No, you clapped out old bag of meat curtains - you don’t “have to say”. You’re not welcome to say a fucking thing. Go busy yourself with your vaginal rejuvination, face lifts and cosmetic injections.

We have a few things “we have to say” about you, whore.

by Anonymousreply 133April 27, 2019 3:22 AM

Strange interactions here.

Seems like too many of you belong to the 700 Club.

Well, I appreciate you and your phony smug church about as much as you appreciate a gay bath house.

And I don’t trust all these phone apps. Too many lies. Too many wanting me to “host.” And I’m not in a big hurry to let strangers know where I live.

I’m still negative, and I plan to remain so.

All this looks like an attempt to drive gay men back into the closet.

by Anonymousreply 134April 27, 2019 3:31 AM

[quote]Nobody ever mentions Day Thermos and Night Thermos in Amsterdam

That's because they no longer exist. But yes: they were two of the greatest saunas in the world, as anyone who visited would recall with misted eyes.

One has to take it for granted that there were be stacks of ugly fat people at saunas: it's not like Grindr and Scruff where you can filter it down to to beauty and hotness. But beauty and hotness are definitely there. I prefer men with high sex drives who are driven to seek additional outlets for it than milktoasts who are content to sit at home, or nurse a drink in a bar.

The current saunas in London are crap. Its astonishing that a city of its size doesn't have world class saunas. Pleasuredrome is definitely the best of a bad bunch, but while absolutely stunning men are everywhere on the streets in London, it attracts very few. Very few. Lots of middle easterners go there.

Everyone says Babylon in Bangkok is the world's best. Maybe. Lovely restaurant. Its masseurs definitely are! OMG those boys earn their tips!!! Weird that it's right in the diplomatic district with the fascist Qatari embassy only metres away.

There's a sauna in Budapest that's supposed to be as glamorous as Babylon, isn't there? One in Sydney just had an expensive makeover, and it does look schmick, but the best in the southern hemisphere, and one of the best in the world, is in Melbourne. The one in Oslo is small and with steep stairs, and in the African district which is disorientating. Stockholm doesn't have any saunas. (Contrary to the image they like to present to the world, the Swedes are oppressive fascists. It's a conformist pressure cooker of a country where everything important goes undiscussed.) Helsinki's sauna (there's only one) is above a backpacker hostel, and really difficult to find! I've only been to one sauna in Paris: it was clean and modern but fucking weird: the cubicals were only three-quarter length so one couldn't lie down in them -- to prevent people using them as cheap hotel rooms presumably. Horrid. And most of the patrons sat glued to French variety show TV: which is a depressing and terrifying subject in itself. (French television is the worst in the world.) The worst sauna I've ever been to was in London: the one in Covent Garden. Don't know if it's still there.

by Anonymousreply 135April 27, 2019 4:03 AM

[disorientating]

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 136April 27, 2019 4:13 AM

The guys who own Babylon have clearly done well. There's a huge Dale Chihuly in the gorgeous gardens of their private compound. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 137April 27, 2019 4:20 AM

Sorry to hear. Yes I had some good times there.

[quote] to ones that are stunning such as Babylon. Pity straights who will never know the pleasure of sitting by a beautiful pool & having a meal, watching a first run movie, enjoying a massage and spa, and then choosing someone delightful to have sex with

And the live performances at Babylon!

by Anonymousreply 138April 27, 2019 4:30 AM

[quote]watching a first run movie

To the person who doubted this, I can absolutely guarantee it. I'm not going to name the venue, but the owners clearly have excellent insider connections. Thank God for the Velvet Mafia.

by Anonymousreply 139April 27, 2019 4:41 AM

[quote] Nobody ever mentions Day Thermos and Night Thermos in Amsterdam, quite nice for a few hours of great sex. London's bathhouses are damp and cold and unsexy.

Ah yes the Day Thermos. That German guy I met.... mmm...

Big fan of English dick so I liked London's bathhouses, not very upscale but fat uncut dick makes up for any shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 140April 27, 2019 4:46 AM

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 141April 27, 2019 5:00 AM

Unfortunately white working class English cock -- one of the most beautiful things on the planet -- is almost completely absent from London saunas these days. It's a really brutal economic and demographic change. One has to head north.

by Anonymousreply 142April 27, 2019 5:01 AM

R59 yes they're massive, veiny, swollen, rockhard, girthy and 10 uncut inches.

by Anonymousreply 143April 27, 2019 6:23 AM

Pest houses

by Anonymousreply 144April 27, 2019 6:30 AM

[quote]Pest houses

Funniest frau comment of the month.

by Anonymousreply 145April 27, 2019 6:35 AM

R2 Literally what I was thinking. Shoreditch is very "in" right now with the young actors and musicians in London. I doubt it will be for much longer if this gentrification continues.

by Anonymousreply 146April 27, 2019 6:56 AM

R133, you do realize that R4's post is from three years ago? That person probably isn't on DL anymore, much less this thread.

by Anonymousreply 147April 27, 2019 7:16 AM

A perfectly understandable mistake. R4 reads like someone parodying a 'sex positive' pan/poly , aro/asexual from Woke Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 148April 27, 2019 8:11 AM

Someone bumped him off two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 149April 27, 2019 8:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!