Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I do not understand Red Velvet cake

I'm watching the Barefoot Contessa and Ina's making red velvet cupcakes which kind of surprises me. I never saw red velvet cake until I moved to the midwest in the late '80s. I now know it has southern origins; I grew up in California so that's probably why I had no idea it existed. I was really shocked to see an unaturally red cake. It didn't look appetizing in the least.

What's so bizarre to me is that its only distinguishing feature is the addition of red food dye. Otherwise it would be a plain old chocolate cake. Why bother with food coloring?

by Anonymousreply 148February 7, 2016 12:54 AM

It's the blandest, least impressive kind of chocolate cake out there, hardly any chocolate is added.

You can get serious chocolate cake with cream cheese icing on it, which is much tastier than "red velvet". Cream cheese icing is extremely sweet, pairing it with a bland cake isn't nearly as good as pairing it with a cake that's intensely chocolatey and less sweet.

by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2016 5:52 PM

It's actually only slightly chocolate in flavor. No where near as rich and chocolatey as devil's food cake.

You're right, OP. It's contrived, artificial garbage that only gets play because it's considered "authentic" and southern," and the red color so eye-catching. Once you realize it's just yellow cake with a little cocoa and a lot of red food dye do you realize that the Emperor has no clothes. It's not gourmet food or "authentic" anything. It's all image and no substance.

by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2016 5:54 PM

[quote] James Beard's reference, American Cookery (1972),[1] describes three red velvet cakes varying in the amounts of shortening, butter, and vegetable oil. All used red food coloring, but the reaction of acidic vinegar and buttermilk tends to better reveal the red anthocyanin in cocoa and keeps the cake moist, light, and fluffy. This natural tinting may have been the source for the name "red velvet", as well as "Devil's food" and similar names for chocolate cakes.[2][3] Contemporarily, chocolate has often undergone Dutch processing, which prevents the color change of the anthocyanins.[4]

[quote] When foods were rationed during World War II, bakers used boiled beet juices to enhance the color of their cakes. Beets are found in some red velvet cake recipes, where they also serve to retain moisture. Adams Extract, a Texas company, is credited with bringing the red velvet cake to kitchens across America during the Great Depression era, by being one of the first to sell red food coloring and other flavor extracts with the use of point-of-sale posters and tear-off recipe cards.[5][6] The cake and its original recipe are well known in the United States from New York City's famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, which has dubbed the confection Waldorf-Astoria cake. However, it is widely considered a Southern recipe.[3] Traditionally, red velvet cake is iced with a French-style butter roux icing (also called ermine icing), which is very light and fluffy, but time-consuming to prepare. Cream cheese frosting and buttercream frosting are variations which have increased in popularity.[citation needed] In Canada, the cake was a well-known dessert in the restaurants and bakeries of the Eaton's department store chain, in the 1940s and 1950s. Promoted as an exclusive Eaton's recipe, with employees who knew the recipe sworn to silence, many mistakenly believed the cake was the invention of the department store matriarch, Lady Eaton.[7]

[quote] In recent years, red velvet cake and red velvet cupcakes have become increasingly popular in the US and many European countries. A resurgence in the popularity of this cake is attributed by some to the film Steel Magnolias (1989), which included a red velvet groom's cake made in the shape of an armadillo.[3] Magnolia Bakery in Manhattan, having served it since its opening in 1996, certainly helped to popularize the cake, as did restaurants known for their Southern cooking like Amy Ruth's in Harlem,[3] which opened in 1998.[8] In 2000,[9] Cake Man Raven opened one of the first bakeries devoted to the cake in Brooklyn. In the South Indian state of Kerala, red velvet cake became popular with the release of the Malayalam movie Premam.[10]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2016 5:55 PM

I've never tasted red velvet cake so I didn't realize it has a mild chocolate flavor. (Ina's on in the background while I'm online) That makes it makes it even worse! I'm a child of the '70s so I remember the brouhaha when some red food dye was banned by the FDA for being carcinogenic. That probably adds to the squick factor.

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2016 6:02 PM

It always looks way better than it tastes

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2016 6:03 PM

[quote]I've never tasted red velvet cake

How did you avoid it? It seems ubiquitous. There's even Red Velvet Cheesecake, muffins, cookies, brownies, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2016 6:06 PM

I guess I've never been to a function where it was served, R6. And I wouldn't buy it so it wasn't so hard. The unnatural red gets to me.

Talk about ubiquitous -- it's spreading to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2016 6:15 PM

It's one of those things that poor white trash served in the South and suddenly the upper class has discovered it and claimed it as their own. Ina should be ashamed of herself for wasting the time. What's she gonna make next: fried collard greens?

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2016 6:22 PM

A deep south favorite for a long time. I think the appeal decades ago was that red velvet cake could make a more distinctive looking and tastier cake if the housewife was talented enough. It was more fancy. Such endeavors were recognized in small rural communities. My grandmother made wonderful black forest cakes and could decorate the most basic cake beautifully with homemade icing, swirls and peaks just perfect.

R3's link was very informative. R8, you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2016 6:32 PM

I had no idea there was chocolate in this.

Assuming it's the same stuff they use to dye candy red, that food dye is delicious. There's a reason the red candy (think Skittles) are the best tasting color, and that red licorice is so much better than black.

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2016 6:33 PM

You can't beat a good coffee and walnut cake. The secret is to feed the sponge espresso, as you would feed a Christmas cake brandy.

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2016 6:41 PM

It was impressive the first time I saw it served. A blood red cake emerging from creamy white frosting.

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2016 6:48 PM

R10 food dye does not have any flavor. Just because something is colored red does not mean that "red" is an actual flavor. Candies of all colors obviously have different flavors and ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2016 6:52 PM

You can get a chocolate cake with a nice reddish brown color by using the proper kind of cocoa (instead of melting chocolate or using crap cocoa). It's really rich and flavorful, and doesn't require a ton of red food dye.

That said, Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake Ice-Cream really is quite good.

But yeah, for me the distinguishing characteristic of Red Velvet Cake is really just "Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting".

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2016 6:58 PM

I'm only familiar with Hershey's. What are the "good quality" (as Ina would say) cocoas out there?

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2016 7:02 PM

A German baker in my hometown refuses to make Red Velvet Cake because it's so loaded with red dye, which he claims is toxic.

by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2016 7:05 PM

I make my morning hot chocolate with undutched cocoa. Because the dutching process removes a lot of the beneficial anythocynans -- good for your heart. You may need to visit a good gourmet store to buy undutched cocoa: it's an slightly orangy brown. Delicious, especially with molassas sugar.

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2016 7:06 PM

The Red Velvet Cake of my youth tasted better than whatever is going on with these cakes today. You could actually taste a bit of cocoa. I think nowadays it's mostly made from a mix flavored with chemicals designed to mimic the taste of real Red Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2016 7:14 PM

Ten bucks says R17 drinks that cocoa from a Starlight Express mug.

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2016 7:19 PM

My grandmother's red velvet cakes got their distinctive coloring and taste from beet juice. I don't see it as an ingredient very often in commercial red velvet cakes, though.

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2016 7:19 PM

Fun fact: most commercial red food colorant these days is made not from beets but from crushed beetles.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2016 7:34 PM

Next up on Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Cooking Show: How to make a Coca-Cola Cake. Tune in y'all.

After that, we explore the subtle flavors of Banana Pudding. The secret is to only use the finest Nilla Wafers.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2016 7:46 PM

Collard greens are a fantastic southern dish R8.

Red Velvet Cake is of course complete trash and it's popularity is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2016 7:51 PM

We called it Waldorf-Astoria cake, or simply "red cake." At Christmas, my mother would make the batter, separate it into two halves, dye one half red and the other green. It was visually appealing as a Christmas treat. But it is so rich and heavy, you really can't eat more than one piece, and you don't want it more than once a year.

by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2016 7:56 PM

[quote]Collard greens are a fantastic southern dish

We've had this discussion in another thread. In the South, collard greens are considered "poor people" food. My grandfather was a cotton farmer and my grandmother used to prepare them. But she and my aunts would look down on people who served collard greens for holiday meals. Collards at Christmas were wrong.

There are certain Southern foods that are classed as poor people food (no shame in that). However, as I stated above, these foods are being "discovered" and reappropriated by non-poor people. For example, cornbread used to be considered a "poor people" food as well as things like butter beans and plain tomatoes. These foods wouldn't be served in "the governor's mansion." They were foods that people ate who didn't have a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 25February 2, 2016 7:59 PM

i call it simply 're cak'

by Anonymousreply 26February 2, 2016 8:00 PM

Sure R25, but I don't think it is bad thing to spread collard greens or corn bread to a larger audience. The more people that want to appreciate them the better.

However red velvet cake is culinary crap, it is just "look, food coloring!"

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2016 8:06 PM

I never heard of it until it became a staple with the cupcake craze about 10 years ago. I grew up in Upstate NY. My mom used to make depression cake, but it was chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2016 8:07 PM

[quote]I guess I've never been to a function where it was served, [R6]. And I wouldn't buy it so it wasn't so hard. The unnatural red gets to me. Talk about ubiquitous -- it's spreading to Europe.

Honey, its been here for years now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2016 8:10 PM

[quote] I think the appeal decades ago was that red velvet cake could make a more distinctive looking and tastier cake if the housewife was talented enough. It was more fancy.

It's classy.

by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2016 8:11 PM

It was swellegant

by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2016 8:13 PM

There's nothing like forgetting you had a piece of red velvet and then shitting...

by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2016 8:16 PM

Is there something special about the texture? Smoother, more velvety?

by Anonymousreply 33February 2, 2016 8:21 PM

[quote]Is there something special about the texture? Smoother, more velvety?

No, it's just chocolate cake colored red. It was given the name Red Velvet to class it up.

by Anonymousreply 34February 2, 2016 8:24 PM

[quote]but I don't think it is bad thing to spread collard greens or corn bread to a larger audience. The more people that want to appreciate them the better. However red velvet cake is culinary crap, it is just "look, food coloring!"

But that's the point. People like Ina Garten are taking these foods and acting like they are some high and mighty food that they've just discovered. And Paula Deen is rolling her eyes back in her head because she's been doing this food for years. Really, will Ina do Banana Pudding next? It's great stuff but it doesn't belong on Ina's show.

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2016 8:29 PM

Southern desserts are not very good. Red velvet, buttermilk pie, banana pudding, peach cobbler and sweet potato pie are all unimpressive, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2016 8:37 PM

[quote]Southern desserts are not very good. Red velvet, buttermilk pie, banana pudding, peach cobbler and sweet potato pie are all unimpressive, IMO.

They beat the shit out of what we've been living with in England all these years before the American invasion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 2, 2016 8:45 PM

[quote]A German baker in my hometown refuses to make Red Velvet Cake because it's so loaded with red dye, which he claims is toxic.

Good for him. Years ago we had Red Dye #2, which was clearly carcinogenic (although today's FDA with its lower standards probably would have approved it).

What is in common use now is Red Dye #40, which is a very controversial petroleum-based food color. It's widely considered to be carcinogenic, has been banned in several European countries and carries warnings in other countries. It's my understanding that Red Dye #40 requires the cochineal beetle to achieve its highly saturated red color. It has a rather acrid flavor, which some people find appealing. Wilton recognizes that some of us don't like that bitter flavor, and they offer a flavorless red food coloring.

Red velvet cakes made with beet juice have a much nicer flavor. I prefer a deep rich chocolate flavor, and red velvet doesn't deliver that deep richness I want in a chocolate cake.

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2016 8:45 PM

Why is she called the Barefoot Contessa? Is she comparing herself with hick, stunning beauty and crazy person Ava Gardner?

by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2016 8:46 PM

[quote]peach cobbler and banana pudding are all unimpressive

I feel you haven't been served a good version of these dishes. A great peach cobbler is a fantastic dessert.

by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2016 8:49 PM

[quote]After that, we explore the subtle flavors of Banana Pudding. The secret is to only use the finest Nilla Wafers.

No, the first secret is to make pudding from scratch using only the freshest eggs and cream, and the best vanilla you can get your hands on. The second secret is to make your own vanilla wafers the way my mother always did. The third secret is to cover it with meringue and put it in the oven just long enough to brown the topping.

I don't know what planet R36 lives on, but I sure wouldn't want to visit there.

by Anonymousreply 41February 2, 2016 8:52 PM

R17 sounds classy.

by Anonymousreply 42February 2, 2016 8:52 PM

I'd rather have Red Velvet cake than Red Vulva cake.

by Anonymousreply 43February 2, 2016 9:01 PM

My mom always called it Waldorf Astoria cake too.

by Anonymousreply 44February 2, 2016 9:02 PM

[quote]Southern desserts are not very good. Red velvet, buttermilk pie, banana pudding, peach cobbler and sweet potato pie are all unimpressive, IMO.

Then you've not been served desserts by someone who knew what they were doing.

My grandmother used to put a little brandy in her banana pudding. She would mix up the pudding and then pour in a couple of spoonfuls.

Of course, pecan pie is a great Southern dessert. Make it with molasses rather than corn syrup. Use black strap molasses to give it a punch and sweetening with whipped topping or ice cream gives a nice mix of pungent and sweet. And I've also had the more fanciful Chocolate Pecan Pie.

And the ever delicious peanut butter pie.

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2016 9:08 PM

You in danger, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2016 9:11 PM

R41 missed the sarcasm (rolling eyes).

Seriously, dude, get a fucking clue.

I bet you're fun at parties, going around earnestly explaining to everyone who makes a joke how they're wrong, and what they really should have said.

by Anonymousreply 47February 2, 2016 9:13 PM

In places in the South it is pronounced "ret vevvet."

by Anonymousreply 48February 2, 2016 9:16 PM

I agree with OP and r23.

by Anonymousreply 49February 2, 2016 9:16 PM

Sweet POTATO pie sounds positively gross. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2016 9:25 PM

It is, R50.

by Anonymousreply 51February 2, 2016 9:31 PM

Next time I see Ina I'm going to bitch her out over this......it's so beneath her.

by Anonymousreply 52February 2, 2016 9:34 PM

"Why bother with food coloring? " --OP

To make it red, of course.

by Anonymousreply 53February 2, 2016 9:34 PM

To fake the fact that you didn't use reddish-brown undutched cocoa.

by Anonymousreply 54February 2, 2016 9:37 PM

I don't think it's "beneath" Ina, it's just not her area of expertise. And it shows that she's late to the game. Red Velvet cake has already been in the mainstream for several years.

by Anonymousreply 55February 2, 2016 9:38 PM

R43 -- I read our comment about red vulva cake just as I was taking a hit of 7Up and did an honest-to-god spit take. I'd only seen that done in the movies. Thank you for the funniest thing I've heard all week.

by Anonymousreply 56February 2, 2016 9:40 PM

r39 Ina used to own a oh-so-fab Hampton's catering establishment and food emporium called "Barefoot Contessa." That was the name of the place when she bought it, and she never changed it.

If y'all hate RED Velvet Cake, I hope you never lay eyes on the BLUE variation. Wretched in the extreme.

The original cake recipe made with beets is really superior. Color is better, as is taste, and the beets DO add a lot to the texture. It's worth making.

by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2016 9:52 PM

[quote] I don't think it's "beneath" Ina, it's just not her area of expertise. And it shows that she's late to the game. Red Velvet cake has already been in the mainstream for several years.

That episode is probably a few years old.

It is as much her area of expertise as any other cake she's made on her shop. Cake is cake, sugar, flour, eggs, fat, flavoring (extracts. spices, chocolate etc.) leavening agents.

by Anonymousreply 58February 2, 2016 9:53 PM

Me neither, OP!

RED is not a taste! It's a freaking color, and the cake has cocoa powder in it. It's a chocolate cake dyed red. Ewww. Why not just treat yourself to a couple of Twinkies!

by Anonymousreply 59February 2, 2016 9:54 PM

There's always this one, which they advertise as "Tie-Dye," but we all know what it REALLY is, don't we?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 2, 2016 9:56 PM

[quote]Sweet POTATO pie sounds positively gross. Blech.

Actually, it's delicious, and not the hardest thing to make from scratch. Try making a couple, you will be surprised at how satisfying a homemade one can be. I am very fussy and not so big on vegetables that people generally just boil to death, but Sweet Potato Pie is a great dessert.

by Anonymousreply 61February 2, 2016 10:07 PM

[quote] Sweet POTATO pie sounds positively gross. Blech.

Have you had the Thanksgiving favorite sweet potato casserole (souffle)? The filling of a sweet potato pie is really no that much different. You add butter, sugar, vanilla extract and milk to both. Some people add sweetened condensed milk to the pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 2, 2016 10:16 PM

Sweet potato pie is almost like pumpkin pie-- same spices and flavoring. The texture is different and the taste is a LITTLE different, but since both pumpkin and sweet potatoes are fairly mild-tasting, they're not the pies, after all of the added flavorings, are pretty similar.

by Anonymousreply 63February 2, 2016 10:19 PM

Do you know what the pumpkin said to the sweet potato? "Fuck you, vegetable"

by Anonymousreply 64February 2, 2016 10:21 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for Red Velvet cake using beets?

by Anonymousreply 65February 2, 2016 10:29 PM

Sweet potatoes can be used to make a delicious faux chocolate pudding, I recommend straining the potato.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 2, 2016 10:33 PM

We used to call it devil's food cake.

by Anonymousreply 67February 2, 2016 11:17 PM

Southerner here who has never gotten Red Velvet Cake.

by Anonymousreply 68February 2, 2016 11:19 PM

Here's a recipe that uses one cup of pureed beets. No food coloring. This is actually sounds worth trying; the idea of beets in a cake is interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 3, 2016 12:52 AM

Sweet potato pie is superior to pumpkin and I is a yankee!

Ina doesn't really care about the cake, it's the frosting she cares about. She always say so. Then passes a nice air biscuit after.

by Anonymousreply 70February 3, 2016 1:35 AM

Regardless of whatever color is used, this cake is simply a buttermilk based cake. Who would've thought a such a cake could continuously cause such disagreements.

by Anonymousreply 71February 3, 2016 1:52 AM

It's true, southern desserts tend to be simple, but the kind of simple food that can be excellent if it's made with good ingredients and skill. Even the snootiest food snob can appreciate a fine peach pie, made from fresh local peaches.

Sweet potato pie, not so much. Like pumpkin pie, it's never very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 72February 3, 2016 1:58 AM

Off topic but last Sunday I attended a Mardi Gras brunch given by a group of native Louisianans. The food was fantastic but what really stood out for me was a biscuit and gravy casserole that was delicious. Biscuits, light and fluffy, covered in a peppery sausage gravy. It was mouthwatering. She gave me the recipe and I'm planning on making it from now on. Those Cajuns can fucking cook.

by Anonymousreply 73February 3, 2016 1:58 AM

[quote]Biscuits, light and fluffy, covered in a peppery sausage gravy. It was mouthwatering. She gave me the recipe and I'm planning on making it from now on.

And it's incredibly rude of you to mention it, but not offer the recipe to the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 74February 3, 2016 3:10 AM

Biscuits and gravy is hardly Cajun.

by Anonymousreply 75February 3, 2016 3:13 AM

[quote]Ina doesn't really care about the cake, it's the frosting she cares about.

Couldn't she just get a can of frosting from the regular groshery store?

by Anonymousreply 76February 3, 2016 3:14 AM

No but they are Southern.

by Anonymousreply 77February 3, 2016 3:15 AM

And if you want real Southern gravy, try Red Eye Gravy. It's made with coffee and ham drippings. Them's some good eats.

by Anonymousreply 78February 3, 2016 3:19 AM

Someone should come up with a recipe for Red Velveeta Cake.

by Anonymousreply 79February 3, 2016 3:26 AM

The banana pudding they make in the south is yummy!

Red Velvet cake is a mistake.

Just have chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.

Or tiramisu.

by Anonymousreply 80February 3, 2016 3:34 AM

The only Southern cake I like is coconut cake. Oh wait--nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 81February 3, 2016 3:59 AM

Have any of you made Paula Deen's recipe for banana pudding? It's her most popular recipe from her old Food network days. People rave about it, but it seems kind of white trash to me since it uses a box of instant pudding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 3, 2016 4:02 AM

Birthday girl at the office brought me a piece of her cake which was red velvet.

Some fool had gone and put real red rose petals in the frosting. I'm still spitting.

by Anonymousreply 83February 3, 2016 4:50 AM

[quote]I'm only familiar with Hershey's. What are the "good quality" (as Ina would say) cocoas out there?

I like Guittard, R15.

r59, it has barely enough cocoa in it to call it a chocolate cake. No one would take the red out and call it a chocolate cake. They’d make a chocolate cake. With more chocolate.

How utterly vomitacious that sounds, R62.

I recommend R66 learn to cook.

They were never the same, R67. Devil’s Food Cake doesn’t have food coloring in it.

They both suck, R70.

R72 for Thread Genius (I mean it: no sarcasm).

by Anonymousreply 84February 3, 2016 5:21 PM

Guittard cocoa. Click around to see the rest of their chocolate. And though the name is French, they're in San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 3, 2016 5:23 PM

What's to understand? It's delicious and great for Valentine's Day which is almost here.

by Anonymousreply 86February 3, 2016 5:36 PM

[quote] It's delicious

No. Objectively it is a chocolate cake that is especially bland.

[quote]great for Valentine's Day

Aka "It impresses me because there is a lot of food coloring".

by Anonymousreply 87February 3, 2016 5:38 PM

What the hell is so delicious about it? It's barely-chocolate cake with food coloring added. I'd much rather an actual, properly-flavored chocolate cake that has a natural color to it.

Great for valentines day? Why? Because it's red? So are rare steaks and chili peppers. Do you base your whole menu on the colors Hallmark uses?

by Anonymousreply 88February 3, 2016 5:47 PM

R86, try this, which actually IS delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 3, 2016 6:02 PM

[quote] How utterly vomitacious that sounds, [R62].

If you like sweet potatoes. It is delicious and it is an American classic.

[quote] I recommend [R66] learn to cook.

Thank you so much for your concern and your recommendation. However, I know how to cook and I am love sweet potatoes. They are incredibly nutritious and quite versatile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 3, 2016 7:06 PM

Now's the season for the annual frau stampede towards the red velvet Oreos and Pop Tarts.

by Anonymousreply 91February 3, 2016 7:26 PM

You were supposed to eat the petals, r83.

by Anonymousreply 92February 3, 2016 7:40 PM

But piped flowers on low-end cakes always taste nasty, R92.

Perhaps someone here can explain why the flowers on grocery store cakes taste even worse than the bad frosting?

by Anonymousreply 93February 3, 2016 7:56 PM

I can't believe there are people in the world who have never heard of Hummingbird Cake.

Someone brought one into work this week, and several people had no idea what it was, by name. HELLO?!? How can you not know what Hummingbird Cake is?!?

by Anonymousreply 94February 3, 2016 7:57 PM

[quote]The only Southern cake I like is coconut cake. Oh wait--nobody cares.

What do you mean 'nobody cares'? The whole thread's about cake. Stay on track, missy!

by Anonymousreply 95February 3, 2016 7:59 PM

The first time I'd ever heard of Hummingbird Cake was at one of those once-trendy cupcakeries in NYC when I visited about10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 96February 3, 2016 8:00 PM

I guess I'm the only one that likes Red Velvet cake. Cream cheese frosting is deelicious.

Never considered it to be even a cousin of chocolate cake so not remotely concerned that it doesn't taste like chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 97February 3, 2016 8:03 PM

I did take a bite of the rose petal but it tasted like -- rose petals.

And you don't know what they spray flowers with. I'm sure the bakery didn't bother to order organic roses.

R97, you can make carrot cake for your cream cheese frosting fix.

by Anonymousreply 98February 3, 2016 8:04 PM

I'd rather have carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

by Anonymousreply 99February 3, 2016 8:05 PM

I've never heard of hummingbird cake.

by Anonymousreply 100February 3, 2016 8:38 PM

DO YOU LIVE UNDER A ROCK, R100?!?

by Anonymousreply 101February 3, 2016 8:56 PM

R101, I live in a 3-bedroom house in a nice suburb and I've never heard of it either.

by Anonymousreply 102February 3, 2016 9:00 PM

In Los Angeles, r101. I've heard of ShooFly Pie, though.

by Anonymousreply 103February 3, 2016 9:01 PM

I live in California.

I've heard of Kentucky hot brown, chess pie, Johnny cakes, and many other Southern specialities, but I've never heard of fucking hummingbird cake. So there!

by Anonymousreply 104February 3, 2016 9:06 PM

[quote]I can't believe there are people in the world who have never heard of Hummingbird Cake.

I've heard of it. I just call it spice cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 3, 2016 9:48 PM

[quote]I can't believe there are people in the world who have never heard of Hummingbird Cake.

And I can't believe there are people in the world like you. Get a hold of yourself, Mary. It's a goddamned cake.

by Anonymousreply 106February 3, 2016 10:04 PM

[quote]Perhaps someone here can explain why the flowers on grocery store cakes taste even worse than the bad frosting?

Some ding-a-ling in our office brought in a supermarket cake. The frosting tasted like toothpaste. I still don't get how that happens. Cheap frosting usually bumps up the sweetness to cover for the fact that the frosting has no actual taste.

by Anonymousreply 107February 3, 2016 10:07 PM

R105, you really don't get it. It's about the bananas and pineapple and pecans. Nobody calls that a "spice cake". That's ridiculous and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 108February 3, 2016 10:22 PM

I like banana split cake. Some of you better not tell me you've never heard of banana split cake.

by Anonymousreply 109February 3, 2016 10:29 PM

Nope, sure haven't.

by Anonymousreply 110February 3, 2016 10:32 PM

I've never eaten hummingbird cake. But I have eaten hummingbirds. (But only on feast days.)

by Anonymousreply 111February 4, 2016 1:47 AM

I'm an eldergay from rural North Carolina and I've never heard of hummingbird cake. Eating hummingbirds? Right, after I've added horse and dog meat to my diet.

by Anonymousreply 112February 4, 2016 3:38 AM

R108 You are the one being "ridiculous and stupid," caring this much about a spice cake.

by Anonymousreply 113February 4, 2016 3:40 AM

I make a kick-ass red velvet cake that has won a few awards and my recipe only calls for about a tablespoon or so of cocoa powder. Not a chocolate cake substitution at all.

by Anonymousreply 114February 4, 2016 3:48 AM

Cake only ever has one thing to say: EAT ME!

by Anonymousreply 115February 4, 2016 3:53 AM

No hummingbirds in Sudan, Darfur Orphan. You must have been dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 116February 4, 2016 3:53 AM

I too have never heard of a Hummingbird Cake. It sounds like something they sell at Amy's Bread called a Monkey Cake, and it too is nasty.

by Anonymousreply 117February 4, 2016 5:56 AM

Where to go in London when you want Red Velvet cake? The Hummingbird Cafe of course.

You heard it here first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 4, 2016 6:05 AM

[quote]I'm an eldergay from rural North Carolina

I'm so glad you're still here and survived the switch to the new format...unlike 'the others'.

by Anonymousreply 119February 4, 2016 6:08 AM

The late Dowager Duchess of Devonshire (her stuff is coming up at Sothebys I think this month) had a recipe for chocolate cake (not that she ever cooked) that sounds promising. It uses ground almonds and Tia Maria. Recipe at the link from a book.

Another noted ritzy cake was Fuller's Walnut Cake. It was famous in London in the 1930s in Mayfair. It appears in several novels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 4, 2016 3:00 PM

What is with the weird notion that everyone here must have encyclopedic knowledge of regional cake varieties? Some of you seem, how shall I put it? Unhealthily fixated with unreasonable assumptions.

[quote]I like banana split cake. Some of you better not tell me you've never heard of banana split cake.

O....kay... [backs slowly away from computer]

This is a gay website. We all have diverse interests and come from different backgrounds. You might want to consider that when you're addressing the group. This isn't Aunt Pittypat's Baking Club or the comment section at Bon Appétit's website.

Or Overeaters Anonymous. If you expect the world to share not just your rather specific passion for a particular dessert item, but also your comprehensive knowledge of said dessert, a little perspective might be in order.

by Anonymousreply 121February 4, 2016 3:36 PM

R113: IT'S NOT A SPICE CAKE, GODDAMMIT

by Anonymousreply 122February 4, 2016 3:38 PM

[quote]This is a gay website. We all have diverse interests and come from different backgrounds.

& what a colorful bands of boys we are! & how this marvellous thread proves it!

& when we're not baking cakes...we're dancin'!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 4, 2016 3:50 PM

I just googled banana split cake. What a load of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 124February 4, 2016 4:29 PM

[quote]Some of you better not tell me you've never heard of banana split cake.

Why? Are you expecting us to bake you one?

by Anonymousreply 125February 4, 2016 4:31 PM

[quote] O....kay... [backs slowly away from computer] This is a gay website. We all have diverse interests and come from different backgrounds. You might want to consider that when you're addressing the group. This isn't Aunt Pittypat's Baking Club or the comment section at Bon Appétit's website.

This is a website whose tagline is "Pointless Bitchery." Some people like to dish out pointless bitchery, Aunty Pittypat, but they can't seem to take it. What's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 126February 4, 2016 5:10 PM

[quote] Better Than Brad Pitt Cake

[quote] 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

[quote] 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice

[quote] 3/4 cup white sugar

[quote] 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix 3 cups milk

[quote] 1 cup heavy whipping cream 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar 3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted Add all ingredients to list

For the Yellow Skin Troll:

Yellow cake mix + yellow pineapple = Better Than Brad Pitt Cake

by Anonymousreply 127February 4, 2016 5:26 PM

I feel like a good Dump Cake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 4, 2016 5:36 PM

Why do Southerners put pineapple in every damn thing? You'd think Hawaii was part of the old Confederacy.

Even the "fancy" recipes of these cakes are obviously back-engineered from some awful cake-mix-and-canned-pie-filling recipe torn out of a women's magazine from 1950. Yes I'm so sure "real southern cooks" have been making home-made vanilla wafers and banana pudding from scratch since the ante-bellum days. I'll bet that graham cracker crust recipe has been handed down for generations in your family, oh boy, great-great-great Grammy Jefferson-DuBois from old Alabammy would work that graham cracker dough until her knuckles about plumb wore out. Give me a break. She got it from the freezer section at the Piggly Wiggly and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 129February 4, 2016 7:43 PM

As someone who gets a little grossed out at how rich and sweet some real chocolate cake can be, I like the mild chocolate flavor and cream cheese icing combo of red velvet cake. It's not a heavy dessert and it's pretty, so I get its appeal but I also get why people think it's some wishy washy pointless shit.

R129 your post made me laugh like a motherfucker. But to be fair 1950 was 66 years and at least 3 generations ago. I think that's long enough for something to become "traditional" in terms of cuisine. The pineapple craze definitely isn't that old and can probably mostly be traced back to the brief Hawaiian culture fad of the 50s, though, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 130February 4, 2016 7:48 PM

R129 wins post-of-the-day. That was an inspired bit of ranting. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 131February 4, 2016 7:49 PM

I love a good DL food thread!

The main thing I like about these cakes is the cream cheese frosting. The cake sometimes tastes acidic...and rarely chocolaty. Once or twice I had a good version - I have no idea where, though. The really thick ones are kinda good - almost flour-less chocolate cake style.

by Anonymousreply 132February 5, 2016 3:50 AM

If R122 imagines I'm ever going to call his cinnamon and pineapple cake anything other than a spice cake, well, he can grate nutmeg where the sun don't shine.

by Anonymousreply 133February 5, 2016 3:56 AM

R132 yeah, it's really most about the cream cheese frosting. And then second I suppose would be thr color contrast between the two.

Before that the main source of cream cheese frosting was carrot cake, and we all know most normal people can't stand carrot cake, so there you go.

I've had some very good and not so great red velvet cake. Really depends on the (I know I hate the word) moistness of the cake and thickness of the icing. Buttercup bakery (originally related to magnolia but much better, on second avenue in the 50s) has one of the best I have had.

Dylan's candy bar also makes a really good red velvet flavored fudge. Maybe it's a tad too sweet (my favorite will always be chocolate and peanut butter) but I still like it a lot.

Like everything, it's all about the quality.

And as a native New Yorker I can say southern desserts are the BEST. Probably the most fattening, but what have you. I don't know what some of you are smoking. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore....EXCEPT for Southern Americana desserts. But I really never have to see a warm molten chocolate cake ever again.

by Anonymousreply 134February 5, 2016 9:40 AM

[quote] and we all know most normal people can't stand carrot cake, so there you go.

Do 'we'?...so I guess you're saying YOU don't like it...oh, normal person.

Oh & 'normal people' it seems also 'hate the word moistness' & start their posts with the word 'yeah'.

[quote]And as a native New Yorker I can say southern desserts are the BEST.

Oh, can you? I tell you what else you can do, mister normal know-it-all...Shut the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 135February 5, 2016 10:03 AM

Carrot cake goes better with cream cheese frosting than red velvet cake, because carrot cake isn't nearly as sweet. Cream cheese frosting is usually extremely sweet, it goes best with carrot cake or an intense, not oversweet chocolate cake.

Yes, I'm from California.

by Anonymousreply 136February 5, 2016 10:13 AM

I've had cream cheese frosting on others cakes, specifically devil's food cake.

by Anonymousreply 137February 5, 2016 2:33 PM

For the poster who asked about brands of cocoa, my favorites are Valrhona, Green & Black, Dagoba, Sharfenberger and Guittard. Frontier is a surprisingly good and inexpensive natural cocoa.

by Anonymousreply 138February 5, 2016 2:56 PM

[quote]Oh & 'normal people' it seems also 'hate the word moistness'

"Moistness" suggests a chemical-laden box-cake to me. I prefer a cake to be not as moist as your "normal people."

by Anonymousreply 139February 5, 2016 8:05 PM

Now there are blue velvet, green velvet, every color velvet cake mixes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140February 5, 2016 9:16 PM

Blue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 5, 2016 9:23 PM

R135 is why middle America hates "the gays."

by Anonymousreply 142February 5, 2016 9:35 PM

Blue velvet cake? Anyone else seen the perverse David Lynch film "Blue Velvet"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 5, 2016 9:58 PM

My mother used to make something called a chocolate pudding cake. It was a box of devil's food cake mix, a box of instant chocolate pudding. 1 cup milk and sprinkle with a bag of semi-sweet choc. chips. It was fantastic and easy. Super moist and chocolaty. Never a piece left when taken to my school events.

by Anonymousreply 144February 5, 2016 10:14 PM

[quote]And as a native New Yorker I can say southern desserts are the BEST. Probably the most fattening, but what have you. I don't know what some of you are smoking. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore....EXCEPT for Southern Americana desserts.

Many Southern desserts are extra sweet to offset the meal. If you're having fried chicken and biscuits, the chicken will be salty and the biscuits will be buttered. Or if you're being served Barbecue, much of the meat has a vinegar base. So the dessert has to be sweet to offset salt, butter, vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 145February 5, 2016 10:15 PM

Costco makes (or used to make) a great carrot sheet cake with cream cheese frosting on top, but apricot filling between the layers. Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 146February 5, 2016 11:52 PM

Costco also has a great fruit tart, which I usually don't care, for but their custard, or whatever holds up the fruit, is really good. Not too yellow and thick like vanilla pudding but very fluffy and a white color.

by Anonymousreply 147February 6, 2016 3:59 PM

Carrot cake is a million times better than any red velvet crap.

I see some people like dry cake. Who knew?

My go-to birthday cake is my grandma's chocolate cake which uses a cup of cocoa and boiling water. It's moist as a snack cake.

by Anonymousreply 148February 7, 2016 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!