Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV Theme Music That Doesn't Fit The Show

I realize that every tv show can't have a rocking theme song like Mad Men or Twin Peaks, but why do some shows go out of their way to find music that doesn't fit the show?

I am binge watching Law & Order: UK and I can't help but think they stole their theme music from a 1950s American Western. I expect any minute for John Wayne to go riding across the screen or Shelley Winters to show up playing a hooker with a heart of gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 6:01 PM

I like that theme. At least they bothered with one.

The Worst one though is Star Trek Enterprise. A low budget 'crooner' warbling to images of space. It should be a Hallmark tv theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2016 11:51 PM

I thought the worst was Boardwalk.

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2016 11:55 PM

This one was pretty widely hated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2016 1:01 AM

WW for r3

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2016 1:24 AM

The one I HATE and can't fast-forward over quickly enough: Orange is the New Black.

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2016 1:39 AM

R5 beat me to it; the theme song to Orange is the New Black is freaking HORRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2016 9:05 AM

Yeah I agree with OP that the Law & Order U.K. theme sounds too "western".

Also I agree about Orange is the New Black. Too screechy.

I never did like the AbFab theme, "Wheels on Fire". What? Can someone explain that one?

Lately though the awful rendition of "Edelweiss" from "The Man in the High Tower". Why the hell would they choose a song written for a Broadway musical that has nothing to do with Nazi Germany? Is it supposed to be ironic? Plus, it sounds as if it was sung by someone's "slow" child. It's just fucking awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2016 9:19 AM

The theme to Angie.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2016 12:28 PM

[quote]Why the hell would they choose a song written for a Broadway musical that has nothing to do with Nazi Germany?

Seriously? Did you watch the show?

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2016 12:38 PM

MITHC creepy Edelweiss theme is perfect for the show. It's not supposed to make you feel good.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2016 12:46 PM

The theme to "Gimme A Break" had nothing to do with the show, either version.

The use of "My Life" by Billy Joel for "Tit Friends" (The real name of the show)

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2016 2:26 PM

[quote]MITHC creepy Edelweiss theme is perfect for the show.

I agree. It is wonderful.

I also agree that "Wheels on Fire" is incredibly irritating for Ab Fab. I never understood why they didn't use the Pet Shop Boys fun Absolutely Fabulous after it came out.

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2016 2:37 PM

The theme in Leftovers season 2 is awful.

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2016 2:46 PM

The "Three's Company" theme is irritating in a way only cookie-cutter 80's TV themes can be.

by Anonymousreply 14January 3, 2016 2:46 PM

Oh, meant to explain why it doesn't fit the show - it's more suited to a daytime game show.

by Anonymousreply 15January 3, 2016 2:47 PM

I loved The Sopranos, but I always hated the theme song. It did sorta fit the show, but I hated it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 3, 2016 3:04 PM

Three's Company was a very stupid theme. I liked Gimme A Break's themes.

by Anonymousreply 17January 3, 2016 3:06 PM

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt theme is awful and Tina Fey's hobbit husband is to blame.

by Anonymousreply 18January 3, 2016 3:07 PM

R18 I disagree. I think that theme is a pretty clever spoof on viral videos on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 19January 3, 2016 3:10 PM

Gilligan's Island, three hour tour my ass

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2019 5:12 PM

I can't skip the theme to Orange is the New Black fast enough.

"Wheels on Fire" was a stupid, stupid, stupid choice for Ab Fab. They should have switched to the Pet Shop Boys song.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2019 5:15 PM

"The Prisoner" had one of the best TV themes ever, but this is what the original composer wanted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2019 5:37 PM

DL fave Patty Duke's early '80s sitcom It Takes Two had a terrible, treacly, low energy theme. And so long!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2019 6:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!