Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sal Mineo's Death

Why was he killed?

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2016 12:42 AM

Wasn't he killed by rough trade?

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2015 8:32 PM

And no, the owner of the voice is not Geraldo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2015 8:36 PM

Mineo met actress Jill Haworth at the set of the film Exodus, where they played young lovers, for which he won a Golden Globe Award and received another Academy Award nomination as Best Supporting Actor. Mineo and Haworth were together on-and-off for many years, even getting engaged to be married at one point. They remained very close friends until Mineo's death.[15][16]

Mineo was very protective of Haworth, especially regarding Haworth's social circles. He clearly expressed disapproval of Haworth's brief relationship with the much older television producer Aaron Spelling. Haworth was 20 and Spelling was 42. One night when Mineo found Haworth and Spelling at a private Beverly Hills nightclub, he walked up and punched Spelling in the face, yelling, "Do you know how old she is? What are you doing with her at your age?"[15]

In an 1972 interview with Boze Hadleigh, Mineo discussed his bisexuality.[17] At the time of his death, he was in a 6-year relationship and was already living with male actor Courtney Burr III.[15][18]

Michael G. Michaud wrote a biography of Mineo with the majority of information coming from Haworth and Burr. In his book, Michaud has confirmed that Mineo had sexual relations with then teen idol Bobby Sherman. He also cleared up rumours about Mineo's co-stars James Dean (in the film Rebel Without a Cause, 1955) and Don Johnson (in the play Fortune and Men's Eyes, 1969). Mineo never had any sexual relations with either Dean or Johnson. Johnson and Mineo had been roommates for a time and became friends. Mineo was also close friends with David Cassidy, another teen idol back then.[15][19]

Mineo has become a gay icon posthumously. Some people, mostly the LGBT community, label him "homosexual" (even though Mineo himself has said he was "bisexual")[20] and say that Haworth was nothing but a close friend and "his beard".[21] Michaud refutes this, discussing Mineo and Haworth's relationship as a normal heterosexual relationship, and that Mineo fell in love with Haworth and regarded her as one of the most important people in his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2015 8:38 PM

After his death, they cut the lyrics "No, no, no, Sal Mineo/I would never stoop so low" from the film version of GREASE. They replaced it with "Elvis, Elvis, let me be!/Keep that pelvis far from me!" By coincidence, Elvis had died as well by the time it was released.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2015 8:45 PM

In REBEL WITHOUT A CASUE, he gazes on James Dean with those puppy dog eyes, begging even just to be kicked by his master.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2015 8:58 PM

Bobby Sherman and Sal Mineo. Grrrr.

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2015 9:08 PM

While making Exodus, Haworth became friends, first, and then lovers, with Sal Mineo, and they were friends until his death in 1976.[18] She lost her virginity to Mineo at the age of 15 in her hotel suite at the Gotham Hotel in Manhattan.[19] Their relationship as a couple ended on Valentine's Day 1964. She did not talk to Mineo for a time, but they eventually became friends again, made public appearances together, and in 1971 she invested in his attempted production of The Wrong People (a book about a homosexual relationship with a young boy).[20] Their friendship even led to a brief resumption of a sexual relationship in 1969, but after she got pregnant in September and had an abortion, they went back to being just friends.[21] Haworth later told author Michael Michaud that she thought Courtney Burr III, who later had a long-term relationship with Mineo, was the "love of Mineo's life."[22]

Haworth dated television producer Aaron Spelling in the summer of 1965, when he was 42 and she was nearly 20.[23] Spelling told friends that he hoped that Haworth would be the next Mrs. Spelling, but Haworth's mother, Nancy, "scoffed" at the idea and told the press that she was dating lots of guys and was in love with a different one every week.[24] Though Haworth and Mineo were not a couple, they were still friends and he was very protective of her. He found Haworth and Spelling together at a Beverly Hills private nightclub called Daisy, and walked up and punched Spelling in the face, yelling, "Do you know how old she is? What are you doing with her at your age?"[25]

She went on the daytime talk show Girl Talk, hosted by Virginia Graham, to talk about the accident that she had had on the set of Rawhide, and they had also booked Mineo on the show, as well. The host asked her why Mineo and she had broken up and she just blurted out, "Well, he left me for another man." Nobody seemed to catch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2015 9:10 PM

Death by Negro

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2015 9:13 PM

He was obviously killed because he knew too much, OP! He knew about UFOs and Bigfoot and Voodoo and the international conspiracy to keep the TRUTH from us all.

Also, he punched Aaron Spelling and since Spelling is the King of the Illuminati AND the Freemasons AND the Bilderberg Group AND Bohemian Grove (oh mah gawd!) - Sal had to die.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2015 10:25 PM

Poster 9, the tin foil is dangerous, step into reality.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2015 10:37 PM

Mineo was a total weirdo. He was killed most likely for a bad drug deal, he was probably trying to trade sex for drugs instead of paying cash. He was a junkie and user from way back and though he was relatively young, he looks died off 15 years prior to his death.

Take a look at how sexy he was in this YouTube clip dancing,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2015 11:49 PM

Here's the pool scene from the same movie.

By the time he died he was a complete mess, poor guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2015 11:51 PM

He was carrying Monty Clift's LOVE CHILD!

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2016 12:24 AM

Thought it was a simple botched robbery after he parked his car and was walking from the parking lot to his apartment.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2016 12:48 AM

Wasn't he co-erced into being an FBI informant? I think that's why the tinhats come out when they talk about his death.

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2016 1:39 AM

What is the matter with you guys? Everyone knows he was murdered while being robbed, it was nothing personal.

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2016 1:47 AM

FUCK!!!! The man could top like no other!!!

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2016 2:18 AM

The Michaud book discusses it in detail. It really does appear to just have been a robbery gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2016 2:52 AM

R3 -Wouldn't Sal or Bobby Sherman have to confirm they had "relations". How can a third party confirm it unless he was there?

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2016 3:44 AM

R19, when did that ever matter on DL?

by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2016 3:48 AM

Yes, Jill and Sal were lovers. I don't think she ever got over Sal. Her later years were far from happy. But she was a very sweet woman.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2016 4:03 AM

There's a story in Hollywood Babylon that James Dean wanted to break up with Natalie Wood. He invited her to come to his place and timed it so that he would be sodomizing Sal when she arrived. She was traumatized and ended the relationship on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2016 6:05 AM

R22, it's a lot more fun than breaking up by text.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2016 2:05 PM

Boy -- everyone messed with poor Natalie

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2016 2:07 PM

R19, it's considered confirmed because Jill Haworth, who was one of Michaud's main sources, told him that she'd caught them at it. Sherman and Mineo, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2016 2:16 PM

Bobby Sherman threatened to sue Jill. However she died a few months after Michael's bio on Mineo was published. When Jill discovered Sal fucking Bobby, she immediately called her friend actor Michael Anderson,Jr. Michael picked Jill up and drove her to LAX where she boarded the first available plane to New York and returned to the apartment she and her mother Nancy had lived in since first coming to New York. When Jill was doing Cabaret, Mineo was back in New York and did what he could to patch up their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2016 2:36 PM

[quote]When Jill discovered Sal fucking Bobby, she immediately called her friend actor Michael Anderson,Jr. Michael picked Jill up and drove her to LAX where she boarded the first available plane to New York and returned to the apartment she and her mother Nancy had lived in since first coming to New York.

If only here friend had been Mitchell Anderson instead of Michael Anderson then he'd probably have asked if he could make it a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2016 2:45 PM

I believe young Sal may have felt "confused" or more likely pressured by Hollywood to be Het, but he was Gay. Period. I'm not disputing his relationship with Jill Haworth. They were apparently acting out the relationship they established as characters in Exodus. From what I am reading here it was very similar. But Mineo was a conflicted Gay man, not a "Bi." he was probably much closer in real life, to his character in Rebel Without a Cause. I believe his murder was a robbery gone wrong. Didn't know he was a junkie. That's new to me.

by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2016 2:47 PM

R26, Sherman didn't threaten to sue Jill Haworth. Michaud said that she was afraid he would, but I have not seen any hint of a public comment on any of this from Sherman.

by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2016 2:49 PM

Suing would just draw more attention to it. Sherman is smart to just let the rumor wither and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2016 2:51 PM

Sal died for our sins.

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2016 3:51 PM

Sal's bf now teaches acting and has his own fb page. On the page there is a picture of one of his classes and there are a couple of young Sal lookalikes in it.

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2016 7:17 PM

I bet he took Dean's cock like a pro

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2016 7:20 PM

R32 Link?

by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2016 8:55 PM

The article at link has a GREAT interview with Courtney Burr III, Sal's male lover for the last years of his life. Here's a sad excerpt wherein Burr describes Mineo's family's mistreatment of him following Sal's death:

[quote] BC: At the time of his death, you were a longtime couple. Did you have serious issues regarding his estate and shared property? These things are a big deal to this day for gay people, so I can't imagine what it was like 35 years ago.

[quote] CB: In terms of the family, they were very gracious—I know they knew, because it’d been a lot of years that we’d lived together and traveled and they were very nice to me. I especially liked his father, his sister Serena was very nice, Victor was a nice man—for a while! That changed at Sal’s death. And his other brother Michael, Mike, I was not fond of. He was very much a user, a rodent. The worst thing was a lot of things Sal and I had talked about, Sal had said, "Oh, if anything should ever happen to me, I want this to happen and that to happen..." Well, this all being pre-AIDS for instance, nobody was thinking about anybody dying—we were in our twenties and thirties, for God’s sake, which is a lesson for anybody alive today. In your twenties—whenever!—get all your papers in order because nothing is more painful than when something unexpected happens, as it did, and I suddenly had absolutely no control and no authority to intercede.

[quote] The family were given complete power, so they decided they wanted to put him on show and have him made up so people could see him in his coffin and Sal—when his father died, his father's coffin was open—he said, "I never want that to happen to me...it’s barbaric ," but his family was Catholic, so he was in this pasty sort of makeup and people were putting things in his hands and touching him. I felt so powerless. I wanted to yell, "Get back!" and I couldn’t do that. I was angry also at both of us for not being smart enough to have foreseen that something could have happened to us. All of that legal stuff should have been put down so I could have put a stop to things like that. But I couldn’t, I didn’t and so I felt a bit shamed that I wasn’t standing up for him in a way.

[quote] The family were very nice as far as having me at the funeral and everything, but I already felt like an outsider. There was no thing set up for people who’d been in gay relationships, no recovery for them. Again, that came up more in terms of the social framework of the AIDS crisis. Then, suddenly, people were losing their friends at such a young age, "Wow, we need places for people to grieve, mourn, have support groups."

[quote] I felt like I was just dropped. I’d always relied on him for support, and he was gone so I was even more isolated. The thing with the family, even though the apartment was in my name here in L.A.—I had signed the lease because Sal's financial situation was dubious—when the murder took place, they cordoned it off and they wouldn’t let me in. The family…I could understand during the investigation, but I felt that I should be the first person let in, but I wasn’t. They let the family in first with some sort of BIG GUYS from New York who came in and took all my letters to Sal and burned them in the bathtub.

[quote] When I found out they’d been allowed in the apartment first, I was enraged. I didn’t know the law, but it was already done. It wasn’t like there was anything of great value, but anything that they thought would have pointed to his sexuality, any magazines or anything else he had around, they burned all that.

(More at link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2016 9:27 PM

Mineo & brothers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2016 9:34 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2016 11:15 PM

Sal had signed a contract to do a nude layout for Playgirl shortly before he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2016 11:53 PM

Because he wouldn't give me that 8mm reel.

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2016 12:04 AM

He knew way too much about the Kennedy assassination.

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2016 12:21 AM

"punched Spelling in the face, yelling, 'Do you know how old she is? What are you doing with her at your age?' " Fine talk from someone who became involved with her romantically when she was 14 and slept with her when she was 15. I read the book, and he sounds like something of a sexual predator.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2016 1:19 PM

I think it was the age difference that got to him -- he was a peer and Spelling was the predator, in that case.

by Anonymousreply 42January 2, 2016 1:27 PM

It was a huge age difference, I grant you. I can't imagine what Spelling's appeal would have been to Haworth except for his money. But Still, Mineo was in his 20s and Haworth was a young adolescent when they started a sexual relationship.

by Anonymousreply 43January 2, 2016 1:39 PM

Face it, at her age what would she know about sex? Mineo probably felt secure with a neophyte, since he was fay. As for Spelling, he was a fucking perve.

by Anonymousreply 44January 2, 2016 2:00 PM

Why exactly is Mineo a gay icon? I get that "Icon" is kind of a shallow term but those that have been deemed so, I get. But why this guy?

by Anonymousreply 45January 2, 2016 2:06 PM

I'd bet Sal as just mad, mad, mad; and any age difference was just a convienent excuse to punch Spelling.

by Anonymousreply 46January 2, 2016 2:18 PM

My guess is it's because of his role in "Rebel Without a Cause," which, rightly or wrongly, is often deemed the first gay teenager in a major film. He was very appealing and vulnerable in that movie. I think it touched a lot of people who saw themselves, or their adolescent selves, in Plato.

by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2016 2:22 PM

That was in answer to R45, btw.

by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2016 2:23 PM

[quote]Why exactly is Mineo a gay icon?

Because he was a nice looking teen and was in the movie with James Dean and gays like to imagine those two having sex. No other real reason.

by Anonymousreply 49January 2, 2016 2:23 PM

Jill's comment to a mutual friend after she broke it off: "Darling, if I had married him, how do you think the children would have looked?" Spelling did propose to her. He was smitten.

by Anonymousreply 50January 2, 2016 4:35 PM

What a pointedly homophobic Wikipedia article. Somebody has an antigay agenda.

by Anonymousreply 51January 2, 2016 4:56 PM

Haworth also says in the book that Sal made her sign a sex contract, spelling out what she could and couldn't do with other people (it didn't say if it spelled out anything she *had* to do with him). IIRC, BJs were for him only.

by Anonymousreply 52January 2, 2016 8:49 PM

Carmine and I have an agreement. I can date other guys and he can date ugly women

by Anonymousreply 53January 2, 2016 9:24 PM

R47, you're so right. The one constant in gay icons is their vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 54January 2, 2016 10:52 PM

He was killed by GARBO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2016 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!