Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies People/Critics LOATHE But You LOVE

Name them. Don't be embarrassed. Name those films that everyone bashes and critics have given thumbs down to but you secretly love and watch over and over.

I'll start... HUSH. Jessica Lange is a complete mental case of a mother-in-law when her son (the hot Jonathan Schaech) and his wife (Gwyneth Paltow) come to stay at her estate. LOVE Jessica's scenery-chewing in this.

by Anonymousreply 404March 14, 2020 3:55 AM

St. Elmo's Fire

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2015 9:18 PM

Mixed Nuts - Funny Christmas movie with a variety of great comic actors includes Madeline Kahn about a suicide prevention hotline. Ironically, all the people working there are pretty damn nuts.

People and critics hated it but it is so damn funny.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2015 9:23 PM

"Margaret"! Identified totally with the lead, 16-year-old girl. Yes; pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2015 9:25 PM

"The Cell." Yes, it has JLo, D'Onofrio, and Vince Vaughn in it, but I always find it so visually beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2015 9:29 PM

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS: "You're a groovy boy. I'd like to strap you on sometime!"

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2015 9:34 PM

This truly wierd Elizabeth Taylor/Mia Farrow movie called SECRET CEREMONY, made in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2015 9:35 PM

Annie. There is no Miss Hannigan but Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2015 10:21 PM

"At Long Last Love." If for no other reason than to hear Eileen Brennan and her bourbon baritone sing "But in the Morning, No."

"So Big"(with Jane Wyman). "Blossoms in the Dust." Gets me right here, thump..... thump.....

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2015 10:44 PM

Valley of the Dolls

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2015 10:57 PM

Evening Star. No it's not Terms and critics hated the many deaths in it. But so entertaining and love Shirley as Aurora.

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2015 11:05 PM

I love Pauley Shore movies

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2015 11:10 PM

OP I rented the guest cottage on the farm where this film was made. The director of Hush lived there during the filming too. I love Charlottesville, and it was a pretty good deal at $325/day. It is two stories and it included the use of the pool.

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2015 11:27 PM

Xanadu

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2015 11:28 PM

Vibes.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2015 11:30 PM

"Hush" is a a hoot! It's one of my favorite guilty pleasures!

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2015 11:34 PM

Singing in the rain

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2015 11:35 PM

She-Devil (Roseanne and Meryl Streep)

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2015 12:34 AM

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2015 12:34 AM

Cutthroat Island

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2015 12:37 AM

Connie and Carla.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2015 12:52 AM

"The Paperboy." It's great trash, and it's such a crazy movie that I don't care if it's good or bad. It exists in that realm of camp where quality doesn't even matter, and I've probably seen it more times than any of the respectable, acclaimed works from recent years.

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2015 1:01 AM

Newsies

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2015 1:05 AM

"Backstreet" with Susan Hayward and the deliciously boring John Gavin. Best 'pedal to the metal scene' ever. I love the idea of an innocent girl from a midwestern town going to Paris and being a celebrated designer. Ahhh- the movies of the 50s made everything seem so easy...

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2015 1:06 AM

"Problem Child 2." The filmmakers obviously were trying to amuse themselves by making this stupid franchise into a John Waters movie. They even named the town Mortville!

And they made the children look like Garbage Pail Kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2015 1:07 AM

Birth

Saving Silverman

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2015 1:14 AM

Scary Movie 3

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2015 1:17 AM

Agree with R4 re The Cell

But no one on earth will agree with me on Exorcist II: The Heretic, which I find weirdly compelling

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2015 1:18 AM

Agree with r13...Xanadu!

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2015 1:21 AM

Roman Polanski's Pirates. One of the most entertaining adventure films ever made with great cinematography.

Pulp with Michael Caine. I remember people on the lenghty Lizabeth Scott DL thread mentioning how much they hated the film (it was her last film and she looked like shit in it) but I thought it was a very clever black comedy.

The Black Cauldron. Often cited as one of Disney's worst animated features. The story does feel a bit like a Lord of the Rings rip off, but it features a spooky Elmer Bernstein soundtrack and one of Disney's scariest villains.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2015 1:23 AM

Sound of Music. It was trashed by critics as too saccharine. The Sound of Mucus.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2015 1:24 AM

"Rich and Famous"

In the early 80s, when this ran several times a week on The Movie Channel, I watched it over and over again. I recently bought the DVD, but put off watching it for quite a while, in case the passage of 30+ years had destroyed my fondness for it and turned it into a piece of shit.

Nope. Finally watched it. Still love it, despite its corniness.

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2015 1:24 AM

The Mirror Has Two Faces

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2015 1:26 AM

Another one for Newsies.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2015 1:44 AM

Jawbreaker, in my opinion it's the original Mean Girls.

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2015 1:47 AM

You, Again? I finally met someone else who loves it--a ten year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2015 1:48 AM

Sister Act 2

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2015 1:52 AM

The Happiest Milliionaire

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2015 1:56 AM

Titanic. I cry at the final scene every fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2015 2:10 AM

David Lynch's version of Dune.

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2015 2:41 AM

Stepping Out

by Anonymousreply 40December 16, 2015 2:48 AM

Practical Magic. Witches of Eastwick. Cruel Intentions.

by Anonymousreply 41December 16, 2015 5:47 AM

3000 miles to Graceland

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2015 5:54 AM

All About Steve

Miss Congeniality, Bridget Jones 2

Hush

Satc movies

Saving Silverman

Remake of Diabolique

by Anonymousreply 43December 16, 2015 5:58 AM

Rocky IV- the one when Rocky fights the Russian. Pure 80s cheese. I love it!

Superman III- the one with Richard Pryor. Campy and slapsticky and just bizarre for a superhero movie. The tone in this film is so well bizarre

Who's That Girl- how can you not love Nikki Finn?

Perfect- Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis, the definition of the 80s gym craze in this trashy film bases on a Rolling Stone magazine article. So bad it's good. Also starring Marilu Jenner as the "gym slut" and Lorraine Newman as the DUFF best friend who is also a slut! And that closing credits sequence needs to be seen to be (dis)believed. It's on YouTube

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2015 6:44 AM

Glitter

by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2015 6:48 AM

All of Ed Wood's movies.

They're labelled the worst movies of all time but they're always entertaining and in their own crazy way more "truthful" than most films.

The worst movies of all time for me are Battleship Earth and any of those Lord Of The Rings/Hobbit films. Vapid fluff.

by Anonymousreply 46December 16, 2015 6:53 AM

[quote]This truly weird Elizabeth Taylor/Mia Farrow movie called SECRET CEREMONY, made in 1968.

Much of Liz's post–[italic]Virginia Woolf[/italic] oeuvre is fascinatingly bad: [italic]Reflections in a Golden Eye, Boom!, Secret Ceremony, The Only Game in Town, X, Y and Zee . . .[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 47December 16, 2015 7:01 AM

For some strange reason, Universal wanted to show [italic]Secret Ceremony[/italic] on TV, so they had extra footage shot to tone down some of the racier aspects. Elizabeth Taylor's character was a lesbian-ish ex-hooker in the theatrical version, but for TV her profession was changed to professional wig model.

Funny synopsis here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 16, 2015 7:12 AM

Mine is the rarely seen Lady in The Cage: Miss Olivia De Havilland plays a wealthy woman of a certain age, trapped in an elevator while being terrorized by juvenile delinquents.

by Anonymousreply 49December 16, 2015 7:20 AM

"Fear" with Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 50December 16, 2015 7:22 AM

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: The Movie. Pure crap, but I love this shit fest ; the music, The Bees Gees singing Beatles songs, etc. Also love Grease 2

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2015 7:24 AM

"Spacecamp".

I thought I was the only one in the world who even remembered the existence of this stupid but really enjoyable movie from the 80s, but it got a mention over on Go Fug Yourself earlier today. At least three other people remember it exists!

by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2015 7:31 AM

Enough w/JLo

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2015 7:34 AM

The guy who introduces the trailer in [R48] is the same guy who wrote PROBLEM CHILD 1 & 2 and ED WOOD and PEOPLE VERSUS LARRY FLYNT

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2015 8:00 AM

I want to be a professional wig model!

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2015 8:13 AM

Barb Wire with Pamela Anderson......campy.....so great

by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2015 9:07 AM

More recently...Jupiter Ascending.

So many big names, so many great special effects, convoluted sci-fi writing, such scene chewing.

A true guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2015 9:12 AM

"Dirty Love" with Jenny McCarthy. LOVE the movie and in my opinion, Carmen Electra gives an Oscar-worthy performance. She is hilarious in it.

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2015 9:22 AM

The best awful movies come from wildly creative auteurs. BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES is the best example. Neil LaBute's THE WICKER MAN is memorably awful.

Some lesser talents brought us:

Mom and Dad Save the World....Jon Lovitz is great. Tank Girl

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2015 9:36 AM

[quote]But no one on earth will agree with me on Exorcist II: The Heretic, which I find weirdly compelling

LOVE IT!

The New Age mumbo jumbo, the screaming soundtrack...even the end of the film turns into pure slapstick with the plane nearly going down and then the road accident.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2015 9:59 AM

60 posts and not one mention of Mommie Dearest...?!?!?!?

"I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to this movie." - Ebert

Shut up Roger!! That's why you're dead.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2015 10:14 AM

I think John Waters' "A Dirty Shame" is one of his best films, right up there with "Pink Flamingos," "Female Trouble" and "Desperate Living." Definitely a minority opinion!

I'm also a fan of Ken Russell's "Gothic," and Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" trilogy (in contrast to his LOTR films, which to me are unwatchable) and Kenneth Branagh's "Frankenstein" (particularly Helena Bonham Carter as the creature's bride.)

by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2015 12:22 PM

Another vote for Xanadu and additional appreciation for the remake of Diabolique with Sharon Stone and Isabelle Adjani.

I also love the nineties version of The Island of Doctor Moreau with Brando.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2015 12:49 PM

Myra Breckinridge

by Anonymousreply 64December 16, 2015 12:56 PM

The invisible man movie starring Kevin Bacon

by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2015 12:58 PM

I've only seen Citizen Kane once, but I've seen Showgirls a few hundred more times than that.

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2015 12:58 PM

I love The Cider House Rules, which was generally bashed by the critics.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2015 1:00 PM

"Play It As It Lays", with Tuesday Weld.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2015 1:03 PM

The fact is, R61, it wasn't that good.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2015 1:08 PM

R8 and R23, please come over to my place for film night. My word, how I love SoBig; saw it first at 10 or 11. And Back Street at 16. Modern Hollywood just can't do Big Melodrama anymore.

Mine: The Restless Years with Sandra Dee, Teresa Wright, and Old DL faves John Saxon and corporate-queeny Hayden Rorke. Pure popcorn and purty young'uns.

More recent pick: The New Guy, with the criminally underrated D.J. Qualls. Co-starring Eliza Dushku, who can't act for shit but was so gorgeous and watchable here (and in that cheerleader flick with K. Dunst). Plus Lyle Lovett, Illeana Douglas, Eddie Griffin, a young, pre-overly precious Zooey Deschanel, and a host of hilarious cameos (Horatio Sanz, Jay Douglas, Jermaine Dupri (!), Henry Rollins (!), Kool Mo Dee (!), Jerry O'Connell, and more. And the late, great Julius Carry III. I just do not get the hate for this movie.

Also love Who's Your Caddy, a Caddyshack for the 2000s. Starring Big Boi (from Outkast) and DL fave Cam Gigandet. Plus Sherry Sheppard, a hilarious turn by Terry Crews (those two actually have great chemistry), and former SNL cutie Finesse Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2015 1:10 PM

Who's That Girl? Madonna's best bad film.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2015 1:30 PM

Nothing But Trouble. Total mess of a movie with Demi Moore, Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, John Candy, Bobo and Lil Debil.

Really dumb, but my brother and I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2015 1:32 PM

Around the World in 80 Days.

Though very popular in its day I believe it is now considered the worst film to win a best picture Oscar.

Or is it Cavalcade? Or The Greatest Show on Earth?

Love them all. I'm maybe the only person left alive who finds them watchable.

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2015 1:54 PM

I adore Giant.

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2015 2:45 PM

I love "Speed Racer", 'John Carter", and "Jupiter Ascending".

by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2015 2:48 PM

John Carter on Mars

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2015 2:49 PM

Another vote for "John Carter"

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2015 3:03 PM

Death Becomes Her.....a much better film than it ever gets credit for.

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2015 3:13 PM

Another vote for Dune

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2015 4:20 PM

I like a lot of bad movies if there's a cute guy in the lead, i.e. "John Carter" and he takes his shirt off. I'm shallow that way.

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2015 4:35 PM

View From The Top is one of my all time favorites. I met Candice Bergen once and told her so and she said "what's that?" and her assistant whispered in her ear "the one you did with Gwyneth" to which Candice responded to me "Oh I've never seen that" LOL! I told her not to worry cus I'd seen it enough for the both of us.

by Anonymousreply 81December 16, 2015 4:39 PM

R73, whenever "The Greatest Show on EArth" comes on, I can't help but watch it. The spectacle! The sentiment! The melodrama! The total cheese! The inappropriate musical numbers! Betty Hutton being fairly human! Love it, really. It's great fun.

And "Speed Racer" definitely belongs on this list, I even bought the DVD off of one of those $5 racks. It's fun, it's silly, it's wierd, and it's just dazzling to look at.

by Anonymousreply 82December 16, 2015 5:05 PM

Speed Racer is sadly under-rated.

And John Carter never deserved to bomb. It's a great movie, and I've watched it several times. It deserves a sequel... the source material is rich and wonderful, and this movie did it justice.

by Anonymousreply 83December 16, 2015 5:28 PM

Both of the Addams Family movies were eviscerated by the critics, but I watch Addams Family Values several times a year.

by Anonymousreply 84December 16, 2015 5:38 PM

No way! Addams Family Values is a Thanksgiving classic around my house. I didn't know it was panned (but then again, I was only 10 when it came out.) I think the guy who wrote it contributes some hilarious pieces to The New Yorker (Paul Rudnick)

I'd add to the table:

Who's Harry Crumb

Wild Things

The Stepford Wives (Nicole Kidman remake)

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Think Like a Man

by Anonymousreply 85December 16, 2015 5:46 PM

Another one for Newsies. I loved it as a kid, then watched it again as an adult and ... still loved it.

by Anonymousreply 86December 16, 2015 6:05 PM

I'll second "Mom & Dad Save the World" and "Speed Racer." Critics really don't know how adjust their sensibilities for off-beat movies.

I'm adding "Armageddon" to this list because everyone hates it and I always watch it when it comes on TV. It's a fun, stupid spectacle of a movie, half earnest and half parody.

And "Volcano," another one that is ridiculous and loads of fun.

by Anonymousreply 87December 16, 2015 6:59 PM

Oh yeah, I LOVE "Volcano"! Goofy movie, always skirts the edge of deliberate camp but never quite goes over the edge. So it's subtle camp with lots of special effects, something I like.

Oh, and a friend had a huge poster for the movie on her wall for years, emblazoned with a gigantic "THE COAST IS TOAST".

by Anonymousreply 88December 16, 2015 7:21 PM

[quote]whenever "The Greatest Show on EArth" comes on, I can't help but watch it. The spectacle! The sentiment! The melodrama! The total cheese!

I've been known to sit for an hour waiting for the scene where the model train slams into the toy truck causing the lion to escape.

Ishtar got horrible reviews, but I think it was bcause everyone was shocked by how much it cost to make. If you watch it without knowing any of the back story it's an entertaining little film.

by Anonymousreply 89December 16, 2015 7:35 PM

Brenda Starr

Brooke Shields water skis...on a pair of crocodiles!

by Anonymousreply 90December 16, 2015 9:36 PM

OMG, r44, "Perfect"! Thanks for the reminder--and you are right, that end credits sequence must be seen to be believed. I saw this in a theater, and my friend and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. How could you not?

by Anonymousreply 91December 16, 2015 9:42 PM

Dune

by Anonymousreply 92December 16, 2015 9:44 PM

"The Blue Veil", though multi-Oscar nominated remains hidden away. Critics dismissed it as sentimental, but so what?

Jane Wyman was Oscar nominated for Best Actress and it's filled with excellent character actors . . . including DL fave Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 93December 16, 2015 10:01 PM

Once Bitten.

by Anonymousreply 94December 16, 2015 10:09 PM

"Mommie Dearest" was a decent Lifetime movie that had the misfortune to have been released as a theatrical film. I think Faye Dunaway absolutely nails the character of Joan. The only element of the film that I would truly describe as bad is Diana Scarwid, who's pathetically miscast and just not up to the task.

by Anonymousreply 95December 16, 2015 10:19 PM

The tyler perry movies with the Madea character exclusively. They would actually be good comedies if they didn't try to do so much, and have the melodramatic soapy elements.

by Anonymousreply 96December 16, 2015 10:19 PM

Several comedies come to mind that critics hated: 1941, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Johnny Dangerously, History of the World Part 1, Foul Play.

by Anonymousreply 97December 16, 2015 10:20 PM

The critics hated Foul Play??!! I LOVE that movie! One of my all time favorite comedies.

by Anonymousreply 98December 16, 2015 11:28 PM

Big Momma's House

by Anonymousreply 99December 16, 2015 11:28 PM

I second Johnny Dangerously.

by Anonymousreply 100December 17, 2015 1:57 AM

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

by Anonymousreply 101December 17, 2015 2:17 AM

I'll second Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I was sixteen when it came out, and I saw it three times in the theatres. And lost three friends by doing so.

I knew it was crap, but it was such wonderful crap.

by Anonymousreply 102December 17, 2015 2:35 AM

How come on these lists there is never one person who loves the greatest disaster movie of all time Mame?

by Anonymousreply 103December 17, 2015 2:49 AM

CAT PEOPLE WITH NASTY KINSKI BEAUTIFUL. THE BABY WITH ANAJETTE COMER AND RUTH ROMAN THE MOST SHOCKING ENDING. SISTERS WITH MARGOT KIDDER. THE WATERMELON MAN WITH ESTELLE PARSONS. THE KING OF COMEDY WITH ROBERT DENIRO. MS FORTY FIVE. CROW HAVEN FARM WITH HOPE LANGE. TO BE CONTINUED

by Anonymousreply 104December 17, 2015 3:06 AM

CAT PEOPLE WITH NASTY KINSKI BEAUTIFUL. THE BABY WITH ANAJETTE COMER AND RUTH ROMAN THE MOST SHOCKING ENDING. SISTERS WITH MARGOT KIDDER. THE WATERMELON MAN WITH ESTELLE PARSONS. THE KING OF COMEDY WITH ROBERT DENIRO. MS FORTY FIVE. CROW HAVEN FARM WITH HOPE LANGE. TO BE CONTINUED

by Anonymousreply 105December 17, 2015 3:06 AM

The King of Comedy is highly acclaimed, albeit not widely seen.

by Anonymousreply 106December 17, 2015 3:08 AM

Aspen Extreme - young Paul Gross was insanely hot!

Truly, Madly, Deeply - makes me cry every time

Psycho 2 - we used to recite the dialogue from this - so bad it's hilarious!

Grease 2 - shut up! The music rocked!

by Anonymousreply 107December 17, 2015 3:14 AM

Tomorrowland

by Anonymousreply 108December 17, 2015 3:34 AM

Two seriously slammed by movie critics films I happen to LOVE are:

1. Lindsay Lohan in Elizabeth Taylor movie. Was on the Lifetime channel. I have watched it at least 3x and each time, I have a great time watching Lohan trying to ACT. This film is so bad it's good. The worst acting I have ever seen but 10 out of 10 for comedy value.

2. Princess Diana film featuring Naomi Watts. Watts who stands about 5 '. Again like previous

by Anonymousreply 109December 17, 2015 3:51 AM

FREDDY GOT FINGERED The first half of A DIRTY SHAME is up there with Waters's very best work.

by Anonymousreply 110December 17, 2015 3:54 AM

One From The Heart

Hollywood Knights

by Anonymousreply 111December 17, 2015 3:58 AM

Ang Lee's version of The Hulk is one of my all time favorite movies. I thought it was brilliant. There are some great bad movies on this thread. I had to laugh at about Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band being listed. So terrible but what a guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 112December 17, 2015 4:08 AM

I Love You To Death. I don't know why critics didn't get it. Cracks me up e very time...

by Anonymousreply 113December 17, 2015 4:12 AM

I really liked John Carter too. I think the lousy trailer killed that film.

by Anonymousreply 114December 17, 2015 4:15 AM

Burn After Reading. I loves it.

by Anonymousreply 115December 17, 2015 4:20 AM

George Clooney was great in burn After Reading. I love the part right after he opens the closet door on Brad. Brad's face and then George's reaction are hilarious

I felt bad for Richard Jenkins, though.

by Anonymousreply 116December 17, 2015 4:43 AM

I have been on a Burn After Reading jag for the past month. I've watched it four times, and it gets funnier each time.

This film proves that Clooney can be a somewhat deft light comedic actor. And I never get tired of Brad Pitt "hydrating" whilst he sucks on his cup of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 117December 17, 2015 7:49 AM

"Hush" also has Nina Foch playing the grandmother, in one of her final roles.

by Anonymousreply 118December 17, 2015 9:33 AM

[quote]The tyler perry movies with the Madea character exclusively. They would actually be good comedies if they didn't try to do so much, and have the melodramatic soapy elements.

LOVE Madea movies!

by Anonymousreply 119December 17, 2015 9:43 AM

John Carter is such an odd case. The movie isn't bad, it's quite watchable (it's a masterpiece compared to Lone Ranger), but Disney didn't even try to market it, they just threw it out there without even mentioning that it was based on a Edgar Rice Burroughs story or even trying to explain the basic premise in their advertising. Then they embargoed the reviews and basically pre-announced that it was a flop, both of which resulted in a ton of negative press.

What's funny is that it set box office records in Russia and did rather well in overseas markets where Disney didn't do much to kill it.

by Anonymousreply 120December 17, 2015 9:51 AM

I love old horror from the 50s, 60s and early 70s, like the Hammer dracula, the two Count Yorga and Blacula movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 17, 2015 10:03 AM

Also : 'The Fall of the House of Usher' by Roger Corman. I love the gothic atmosphere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 17, 2015 10:06 AM

"Burnt Offerings"

by Anonymousreply 123December 17, 2015 12:07 PM

The big chase/action sequence near the end of "The Lone Ranger" is terrific. Checked that movie out of the library on DVD and watched that part over several times.

Another vote for "Tomorrowland". The audience I saw it with applauded at the end.

by Anonymousreply 124December 17, 2015 10:36 PM

Somewhere in Time. The only other person I know who loves this is my mother. She's the one who told me about it. A weepfest with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour at the heighth of their beauty, and the majestic Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. And a diabolical Christopher Plummer to boot!

by Anonymousreply 125December 17, 2015 10:54 PM

Streets of Fire

Let It Ride

by Anonymousreply 126December 17, 2015 11:08 PM

The Devils

by Anonymousreply 127December 17, 2015 11:32 PM

As a kid, I loved Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie. The critics hated it. I rewatched it with my sister a few months ago and I have to admit we still found it pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 128December 17, 2015 11:42 PM

I thought there were quite a few people who love Somewhere in Time.

by Anonymousreply 129December 18, 2015 12:03 AM

I LOVE "Somewhere in Time". It's hypnotic.

by Anonymousreply 130December 18, 2015 12:10 AM

John Barry's music in Somewhere in Time is some of his very best.

by Anonymousreply 131December 18, 2015 12:11 AM

Another "Somewhere in Time" fan here. In addition to the intriguing idea of time travel, it's just so darned appealing visually.

I wonder if it was mainly critics who didn't like it, because regular people who have seen it seem to be extremely fond of it.

by Anonymousreply 132December 18, 2015 12:15 AM

I second Vibes - Cyndi Lauper has a million one liners in the movie. Also, I loved The Long Kiss Goodnight with Geena Davis and Samuel L Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 133December 18, 2015 2:59 AM

I know lots of people who LOVE "Somewhere in Time". Next to "Superman" it's what Christopher Reeve is best remembered for. If he had been around in an earlier era he'd have been a bigger star making more romantic movies like that one.

by Anonymousreply 134December 18, 2015 3:04 AM

"Somewhere in Time" is a frau-favorite. RottenTomatoes ratings: 59% fresh - critics, 88% fresh - audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 18, 2015 3:14 AM

So tell me, R133...In a Rolls Royce Corniche, the bar opens from left to right, not right to left, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 136December 18, 2015 3:26 AM

American Gigolo Less than Zero

by Anonymousreply 137December 18, 2015 3:27 AM

R125 here. I am so heartened that so many of you love Somewhere in Time. I must be socializing with the wrong gheys. Vive le DL!!!

by Anonymousreply 138December 18, 2015 3:51 AM

I thought it was the Rachmaninoff that people swooned over not Barry.

Which of course is a big steal from Brief Encounter though the piece of music is different.

by Anonymousreply 139December 18, 2015 4:32 AM

Poison Ivy with Drew Barrymore

Ciao! Manhattan

Flowers in the Attic ('80s version)

by Anonymousreply 140December 18, 2015 5:23 AM

[quote]Mine is the rarely seen Lady in The Cage: Miss Olivia De Havilland plays a wealthy woman of a certain age, trapped in an elevator while being terrorized by juvenile delinquents.

It's fascinating. Who knew Olivia could chew that much scenery trapped 15 feet in the air in an open-air birdcage-style elevator while beatniks taunt her savagely. Some of her disgusted society-lady lines are hilarious.

The 1981 "Pennies From Heaven" -- Fred Astaire said it was the most miserable two hours he ever spent in a movie theater, and most critics found it off-putting, but I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 141December 18, 2015 5:49 AM

At Long Last Love.

No it is not good and I do not love it but I enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 142December 18, 2015 4:51 PM

HUSH is a movie that had its ending reshot after production had wrapped (à la FATAL ATTRACTION) because test audiences didn't like the original ending. But if you ask me, the original ending with the Lange character, by now completely off the rails, meeting her end at an inferno at the cottage house (shades of Mrs. Danvers in REBECCA), just before Paltrow and Schaech retrieve the baby, was classic gothic horror, and was a fitting finale than the hokey one they ended up with.

by Anonymousreply 143December 18, 2015 5:11 PM

Coppola's Dracula

by Anonymousreply 144December 18, 2015 5:45 PM

Speaking of Warhol/Morrissey

Heat

and

Trash

RIP Holly

by Anonymousreply 145December 18, 2015 5:46 PM

"Death to Smoochy" was reviled, but it's very clever, and totally entertaining!

by Anonymousreply 146December 18, 2015 6:52 PM

Bewitched with Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell. She was adorable in it, he was hysterical, IMO. Steve Carell nailed the former Paul Lynde role. I thought the premise was cute.

by Anonymousreply 147December 18, 2015 7:08 PM

All the Marbles with Peter Falk and DL sorta fave Vicki Frederick. Tracy Reed who was the kindergarten teacher in Brady Bunch who would only give Cindy one ticket to the Christmas pageant is a mean mother who kicks all kinds of ass.

by Anonymousreply 148December 18, 2015 8:00 PM

I'm going to be pilloried for saying this, but "Land of the Lost" with Will Farrell. I HATED it the first time I saw it. But when I rewatched it again on cable, I found it to be actually pretty well done and pretty funny. I think it was an expectations thing more than anything else. I held the original show in high reverence and wanted a REAL movie. This is more a comedy/spoof than anything, and I felt it was totally disrespectful at first. But after getting over it, and being able to watch it for what it was, and not for what it wasn't... it's actually not that bad.

by Anonymousreply 149December 18, 2015 9:44 PM

The original Amnityville Horror.

by Anonymousreply 150December 19, 2015 1:15 AM

Zardoz

by Anonymousreply 151December 19, 2015 1:34 AM

Just finished watching the new Bewitched. Kinda cute.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2015 1:37 AM

I remember American Beauty getting a lot of criticism despite its awards, and I couldn't understand why.

by Anonymousreply 153December 19, 2015 1:41 AM

Sorry, Haters

The Guitar

The Aviator

Intimate Strangers

The Match Factory Girl

by Anonymousreply 154December 19, 2015 1:42 AM

The Winning Season with Sam Rockwell

Perdita Durango with Javier Bardem

View From The Top with Gwyneth Paltrow and Mark Ruffalo

Rent A Cop with Liza Minelli and Burt Reynolds

by Anonymousreply 155December 19, 2015 2:01 AM

I've never seen it but a friend who never gives Streisand the benefit of the doubt saw Guilt Trip and told me it was terrific.

When I said to him it was a huge bomb he claimed it was because it was actually good.

by Anonymousreply 156December 19, 2015 2:21 AM

I'm not a Streisand fan but I kind of enjoyed The Guilt Trip. It wasn't as bad as people said.

by Anonymousreply 157December 19, 2015 4:00 PM

Mannequin.

The second Indiana Jones movie which everyone and their pet dog hated.

Flesh and Blood, an early Paul Verhoven movie with Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Cousin Bette. Jessica Lange camping it up again in her post Blue Sky funk.

by Anonymousreply 158December 20, 2015 4:21 AM

Cloud Atlas

by Anonymousreply 159December 20, 2015 4:36 AM

Deep Impact. The dysfunctional main family, neurotic to the last.

2012. Love the fx of LA sinking.

by Anonymousreply 160December 20, 2015 4:50 AM

Rob Zombie's Halloween II. It's an occasionally terrible film, but there are so many moments of genius. I HAAAAAATED his first remake. It was loud, brash, tacky, and didn't seem to understand what made the original film work. However, the sequel had so many interesting characterizations for the lead characters. I liked asshole fame whore Loomis, emotionally fucked up Laurie, agoraphobic Annie, and frustrated Brackett. They seemed real. The ghost mom/hobo Myers/white horse shit could have been cut and all the useless deaths just to add to the body count weren't needed, but there's some great stuff in there.

by Anonymousreply 161December 20, 2015 5:40 AM

"The Waterboy"... Adam Sandler with Henry Winkler and Kathy Bates. I can watch it endlessly. It's freakin' hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 162December 20, 2015 5:49 AM

"Jumper", with Hayden Christian and Jamie Bell and Samuel L Jackson

by Anonymousreply 163December 20, 2015 6:02 AM

Norbit

by Anonymousreply 164December 20, 2015 6:22 AM

Twister

by Anonymousreply 165December 20, 2015 11:10 AM

Spread starring Ashton Kutcher and Anne Heche is one of my all time faves. I don't even know if it was released in theaters in the US but I love it

by Anonymousreply 166December 20, 2015 11:20 AM

Australia

by Anonymousreply 167December 20, 2015 11:21 AM

Olivia once told Phil Donahue that she received more comments from people regarding Lady in a Cage as she did Gone With the Wind.

Both Lady in a Cage and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte were released in 1964 . . . anyone know which was made first?

by Anonymousreply 168December 20, 2015 12:20 PM

An Affair to Remember and The Ten Commandments.

by Anonymousreply 169December 20, 2015 12:46 PM

Ash Wednesday with Elizabeth Taylor. She starts out looking like a basset hound, then goes to Switzerland to get a face lift and homone shots and ends up looking like, well, Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 170December 20, 2015 1:03 PM

^ Speaking of makeover movies, The Mirror Has Two Faces is goofy fun

by Anonymousreply 171December 20, 2015 4:49 PM

I'll add another vote for Ang Lee's Hulk. It IS terrible flawed but there's some great stuff in there all the same.

by Anonymousreply 172December 20, 2015 4:56 PM

Center Stage. No one can really act. The boys are all impossibly gay. And the cool/hip/edgy ballet they do at the end is so freaking kitschy/cutesy/awful, it makes my head explode with joy.

And another vote for Ang Lee's Hulk. I'll take any five minutes if it over the entirety of the "Marvel Universe" movies.

Oh and David Lynch's Dune. Like Hulk, it might be flawed as hell, but it certainly has ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 173December 20, 2015 5:05 PM

Waterworld .

by Anonymousreply 174December 20, 2015 5:47 PM

Speaking of Elizabeth Taylor's shitty period, remember [italic]Divorce His[/italic] and [italic]Divorce Hers,[/italic] the self-indulgent pair of TV movies she and Richard Burton made for ABC?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 20, 2015 5:58 PM

What made "Somewhere in TIme" was the soundtrack, not the visuals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 20, 2015 6:03 PM

"The Fantastic Four" with Chris Evans.

by Anonymousreply 177December 20, 2015 6:45 PM

R177 - I really liked Evans in those films. He was literally the only good thing about them.

by Anonymousreply 178December 20, 2015 6:48 PM

I have 2 two terrible movies. First is Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters starring midget queen Jeremy Renner and Famke Jassen. It is hilariously bad and gory. I watched it while I was under the influence of some hardcore medications. I mean I was blitzed out of my fucking mind. Renner's storyline includes a female love interest. It's so awkward to watch, because he has no chemistry with her whatsoever. Famke is the big bad villain complete with campy British accent.

Second is Gangster Squad starring women beaters Josh Brolin and Sean Penn. Another I recommend drunk watching. They made Penn wear prosthetics on his face, to make him look even uglier than usual. He utters the most cringe inducing lines, which you can't help but to laugh at.

by Anonymousreply 179December 20, 2015 8:21 PM

Universities have endowed chairs for the study of The Mirror Has Two Faces and what it has meant to civilization.

by Anonymousreply 180December 20, 2015 8:24 PM

R180: online course last taken pass/fail for university of Phoenix don't count

by Anonymousreply 181December 20, 2015 8:47 PM

I loved JOHN CARTER, saw it in theaters 4 times! Disney dumped this film, deliberately sabotaging the publicity by removing "OF MARS" from the title, and not explaining what it was about, then themselves announcing it was a flop, before it really had much chance. Originally, it was to be the first film of a trilogy, and it's a crime they were never made. There's even a Facebook page for JCII. I'd love sequels to this. It's the original basis influence for many later sic-fi films, including STAR WARS.

SOMEWHERE IN TIME opened to lackluster box-office, but picked up steam when it was shown on HBO, gathering a wide audience, including myself. John Barry's score is definitely one of his best, and makes a major contribution to the mood. Now it's a cult favorite, with conventions at the Michigan hotel every year, where people dress up like the characters. I believe the CD of the score is still available.

by Anonymousreply 182December 20, 2015 9:08 PM

To clarify: I meant in my post above that the series of "John Carter" "Martian novels" by Edgar Rice Burroughs, also the creator of "Tarzan," were extremely influential on many later sic-fi books and films. Written over 100 years ago, the original "John Carter" novel, "A Princess of Mars," invented swordplay combined with sic-fi, wildly designed creatures, airships, a daring hero, a lovely princess, and evil villains, all of which were original patterns, much copied in many later films, from "Flash Gordon," up to and beyond all the "Star Wars" films.

by Anonymousreply 183December 20, 2015 9:13 PM

And, BTW: the creepy leader of the marauding hippie gang in LADY IN A CAGE is played by a young James Caan, who not only has his eyes put out by vengeful de Havilland, but ends up getting his head squashed by a passing car in a gutter outside the house. Such fun.

by Anonymousreply 184December 20, 2015 9:15 PM

Dreamgirls and Jennifer Hudson don't get a lot of love here but I think both are brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 185December 20, 2015 9:17 PM

I guess I will have to watch John Carter and Somewhere in Time!

by Anonymousreply 186December 20, 2015 9:23 PM

Dreamgirls was highly acclaimed

by Anonymousreply 187December 20, 2015 9:24 PM

Wow, so many good movie are listed here. John Carter was awesome. I also loved Jumper. The Paperboy is so bad it's great. My vote however goes to Wonderboys.

by Anonymousreply 188December 20, 2015 9:25 PM

R187 - yes it was, which is why I qualified it by saying it doesn't get a lot of love here

by Anonymousreply 189December 20, 2015 9:27 PM

You're not alone regarding Exorcist II, R27. I don't know that I love it but I'm certainly fascinated it. The juxtaposition of theatricality versus reality, the inclusion of the then immensely popular biofeedback craze...plus Louise Fletcher. It is in a way more of a science fiction movie than a supernatural thriller. It's also got such an odd feel to it having been shot in Italy instead of the states. I know that if it's on I'll always watch it. Boorman can certainly serve up a mixed bag, but it's always interesting.

Don't ever play a drinking game based on how many times the name "Sharon" is uttered in the film...you'll die of alcohol intoxication...

by Anonymousreply 190December 20, 2015 10:21 PM

Bad Teacher Hamlet 2 Infamous, it got fairly good reviews, but it was overshadowed by Capote.

by Anonymousreply 191December 21, 2015 1:03 AM

Wow R190, another person who at least doesn't dislike Exorcist II. This past year the Film Forum did a retrospective of John Boorman films, and they showed every single one (even Zardoz!) - EXCEPT Exorcist II. (The nerve!)

Someone up above mentioned Spielberg's 1941. I'll go one step further - the 30 minute longer extended version.

by Anonymousreply 192December 21, 2015 1:16 AM

Bad Influence with Rob Lowe and James Spader

Sweeney Todd

American Hot Wax starring Laraine Newman and the tree house kid from Laugh-In.

Short Circuit, an Ally Sheedy flick.

Bird on a Wire

Stella

Lucky Lady

200 Cigarettes

by Anonymousreply 193December 21, 2015 5:27 AM

R189 I thought you meant in this thread, since it was titled movies you like that the critics hated.

by Anonymousreply 194December 21, 2015 5:32 AM

BECAUSE HE IS NOT ONE OF IT'S FANS!!!!!!!! , R61

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 21, 2015 7:05 AM

Aronofsky's "The Fountain". It's similar to "Cloud Atlas" in that it has a non-linear narrative that includes parallel stories taking place centuries apart, but it's much more affecting and comprehensible than "Cloud Atlas" and doesn't have Tom Hanks and Halle Berry giving a several godawful performances each. It was a huge failure when released, but it's actually a lovely, affecting, fantastical film.

Can I ask, does anyone feel this way about "Across the Universe"? I thought it was a most interesting failure of a film, I wonder if it has cult status.

by Anonymousreply 196December 21, 2015 7:21 AM

R196 - the scene for "Let It Be" from Across the Universe tears me apart every time I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 197December 21, 2015 10:55 AM

"The Holiday", which seemed to get mixed-to-negative reviews when it came out, and is admittedly pretty schlocky, but my partner and I watch it every year around Christmas. I love it.

"Employee of the Month" - dumb comedy, total comfort food. I watch it frequently. Critics hated it, and totally tore Jessica Simpson apart in her debut role. I don't think she's that bad. She's cute & charming especially in the scene where she reveals her "big" flaw.

by Anonymousreply 198December 21, 2015 1:17 PM

The remake of "The Women" took a decades old classic film and gave it a charming and sparkling new concept.

by Anonymousreply 199December 21, 2015 4:58 PM

Star!

Just kidding.

by Anonymousreply 200December 21, 2015 7:52 PM

Showgirls.

I'm not even sorry, but it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 201December 21, 2015 8:02 PM

Batman Forever and Batman & Robin

by Anonymousreply 202December 21, 2015 8:19 PM

I like Batman Forever a lot, despite its flaws.

by Anonymousreply 203December 21, 2015 8:22 PM

[quote]What made "Somewhere in TIme" was the soundtrack, not the visuals.

Actually, the visuals are pretty nice too. It made me want to go to Michigan or wherever that hotel by the lake is located. Gorgeous looking area.

by Anonymousreply 204December 22, 2015 7:38 AM

"The Fan" with Lauren Bacall and James Garner

"The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp

"White Noise" with Michael Keaton

"Pacific Heights" with Michael Keaton and Melanie Griffith

"Fifty Shades of Grey" (just saw it on cable and don't know why I ended up liking it at all or at least liking certain parts of it).

by Anonymousreply 205December 22, 2015 7:44 AM

Moulin Rouge. LOVE this movie. Have it on DVD. I've probably watched it five dozen times. Have both soundtracks too. One of my favorite movies of all time. I think it's absolutely brilliant in every way.

Critics hated it. So did most of my friends.

by Anonymousreply 206December 22, 2015 1:40 PM

r206, Loved it. When I saw it in the theater, I was the only person laughing at "Like a Virgin". And loudly.

by Anonymousreply 207December 22, 2015 6:16 PM

[quote]I loved JOHN CARTER

Me too. I'm glad to see other posters on this thread who agree. I could have done without the romance which didn't work partly because there was no chemistry between the actors and it was unnecessary, but the rest of the movie was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 208December 22, 2015 6:35 PM

R49 I agree, fascinating movie, weird, but can't help but watching. Miss Olivia gives great performance.

by Anonymousreply 209December 22, 2015 7:44 PM

Lady In A Cage is hysterical and disturbing all at once.

by Anonymousreply 210December 22, 2015 8:08 PM

I agree with the posters who mentioned Bewitched. It has a terribile reputation but I found it quite charming, even clever in parts

by Anonymousreply 211December 22, 2015 8:37 PM

R206, "Moulin Rogue" seems to be one of those films that everyone either loves or hates, and I LOVE it! Fell in love with it when Ewan McGregor started singing "The Hills Are Alive" without a hint of irony, it's kind of a mess but it's dazzling and it's about love and courage at the core.

The critics and audiences were divided on that one, as many love it as loathe it.

by Anonymousreply 212December 22, 2015 10:48 PM

Untamed Heart

by Anonymousreply 213December 22, 2015 11:50 PM

R31, agreed about Rich and Famous. It was a favorite of mine as a kid for the Matt Lattanzi nude scene, but I actually like the whole damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 214December 23, 2015 11:00 PM

[quote]It was a favorite of mine as a kid for the Matt Lattanzi nude scene

I'm fully convinced that I would have grown up straight and Republican if it weren't for that scene. It set me on a new path.

by Anonymousreply 215December 24, 2015 12:24 PM

Matt had another good nude scene in "My Tutor".

by Anonymousreply 216December 24, 2015 12:31 PM

""The Fan" with Lauren Bacall and James Garner"

Yes, camp at its best.

When I saw it in the theatre, that scene near the beginning where Bacall arrives at rehearsal and some fey queen says "Let me take your coat", the audience around me burst into laughter, and they were mostly queens themselves.

by Anonymousreply 217December 24, 2015 12:34 PM

"The Net"

by Anonymousreply 218December 24, 2015 12:35 PM

Star Wars, Episode 2: Attack of the Clones. I want to suck on Hayden's nipples when he's having his oedipal nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 219December 24, 2015 6:55 PM

R216, I remember rubbing myself raw to Matt during My Tutor. My friends all thought the teacher was hot, but I wanted Matt. Bad.

by Anonymousreply 220December 24, 2015 6:58 PM

It's too bad that R215 can't send George Cukor a thank you card.

by Anonymousreply 221December 24, 2015 10:09 PM

Well had Aldo Ray been born later we could have thanked Cukor for his nude scene when he was young and hot.

The best Cukor could do at the time was get him down to his boxers.

Though I have no doubt Aldo cut a fine figure around Cukor's pool at some of those stag parties.

by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2015 10:29 PM

Pass The Ammo, because Tim Curry and Amnnies Potts, that's why!

by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2015 10:58 PM

ANNIE Potts,lol!

by Anonymousreply 224December 24, 2015 10:59 PM

Agree with "The Fan" - it's hilarious. The musical sequences are awesomely bad.

by Anonymousreply 225December 26, 2015 12:31 AM

R12, what a small world. I assume you're referring to Rocklands? I knew the owners and spent a lot of time in that wonderful pool,. Also did work for the movie. Gwynnie was full of herself, not surprisingly. Jessica was going through a rough patch at the time because of Sam, and was bitchier and more brittle than usual. Good times...

by Anonymousreply 226December 26, 2015 1:22 AM

I can't believe there are other people who like Connie & Carla, Problem Child 2 and Hamlet 2 besides me! I'll also add The Sasquatch Gang.

by Anonymousreply 227December 26, 2015 1:38 AM

Ernest Saves Christmas.

Loathsome concept, but that guy is just so good you can't hate it.

by Anonymousreply 228December 26, 2015 3:12 AM

Carmen a Hip Hopera

by Anonymousreply 229December 27, 2015 5:40 PM

"In Time" with Justin Timberlake and Matt Bomer among many others. A contrived story that drives home an excellent point about the unequal distribution of wealth and how the presence of the wealthy relies on an abundance of poor. An excellent allegory, too often dismissed for reasons I just cannot fathom. Can't even understand why it didn't do well at the box office. I guess stories that highlight the flaws of capitalism are not popular with the media, and as such, they get ignored or savaged.

by Anonymousreply 230December 27, 2015 9:25 PM

R230:

I think it falls into that category of great idea with mediocre execution

by Anonymousreply 231December 27, 2015 9:46 PM

John Huston's Annie. I think it's adorable, even if a bit bloated.

by Anonymousreply 232December 27, 2015 9:59 PM

R230, I didn't see that film because 1) I got the point about capitalism and the evils of unequal distribution of wealth from the trailer, and 2) eeew, Justin Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 233December 27, 2015 10:14 PM

R233 Basically!

God I hate Timberfake, he thinks he's some kind of actor now?

He's such a douche, I love how all of a sudden he started wearing glasses in interviews and in public, like it makes him look smart or Intellectual. LOL

by Anonymousreply 234December 28, 2015 12:55 AM

Justin Timberlake wasn't bad in the movie at all.

by Anonymousreply 235December 28, 2015 4:18 AM

The Love Guru, it was enjoyable little throwaway of a movie, like many movies should be.

by Anonymousreply 236December 28, 2015 5:34 AM

Timberlake is fine in cameos and small supporting roles. He has no business being a main character.

by Anonymousreply 237December 29, 2015 12:54 AM

Whatever. He was fine, and I really liked the movie. I've seen it a few times now, and I still recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 238December 29, 2015 7:10 AM

R238 = David Healey

by Anonymousreply 239December 29, 2015 7:13 AM

In Time was a good film, but Timberlake was definitely the weakest link.

by Anonymousreply 240December 29, 2015 11:48 AM

I just watched Glory Daze with Ben Affleck, Sam Rockwell, French Stewart and Vien Hong (with Matt McConaughey and John Rhys-Davies in supporting roles). By all accounts it's a schlocky, meandering, and shallow frat boy nostalgia flick with a pasted-on 'grunge' aesthetic (and a smug, lazy, annoying narration) but I did think it was oddly charming in places, with a couple of endearing and surprising character arcs. The supporting characters were sweet, especially Vien Hong's fledgling new King of Campus.

There are a few ugly stereotypes in it, though, so proceed with caution. One character is almost wooed into a lucrative grad scheme by a professor trying to seduce him. Also Ben totally phones it in.

by Anonymousreply 241January 2, 2016 7:08 PM

I love Lindsay Lohan and I think what has happened to her is a tragedy. I thought she was great in The Canyons and wish she'd get more chances but I mean even though they finished that movie she was apparently a nightmare to work with. Even though she has IMHO been given extraordinary talent and charisma I don't know if she can make it work at this point with her reputation and demons. And I'm sure knowing everyone is waiting for her to fail makes her fuck up even more. imagine the anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 242January 2, 2016 7:14 PM

Krull. I don't love it like it's a good movie, I love it as a misguided attempt to create a franchise that failed miserably.

by Anonymousreply 243January 2, 2016 10:51 PM

Krull has some fairly lush production values and a good cast, it's too bad they were still working on the script during filming. It's one of those just-okay movies that has one great scene - The Widow of the Web. That sequence harkens to a better Krull that never was. I still enjoy watching for the Derek Meddings effects and hottie Ken Marshall (loved how they kept finding ways to bare his hairy chest). Plus, Ergo's transformation's were morphs before there was morphing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 2, 2016 11:31 PM

Jupiter Ascending. I'm watching it again now on cable (MoreMaxx). I love the details, the imagination... it's such a fun movie. A rich visual feast.

by Anonymousreply 245January 3, 2016 3:13 AM

r245, thank you, I am not alone.

by Anonymousreply 246January 3, 2016 4:25 AM

Strangers With Candy: The Movie

Grandma's Boy

Both of these movies crack me up big time, but both did very poorly with the public.

by Anonymousreply 247January 3, 2016 4:41 AM

So right, R126 about Let it Ride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 3, 2016 5:43 AM

And R141, the wonderful Pennies from Heaven (Christopher Walken singing, dancing, stripping).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249January 3, 2016 5:45 AM

Dante's Peak. My husband looks at me like I'm nuts when I howl with laughter when Grandma jumps out of the boat into the acid river to save everyone.

Stuart Saves His Family, and I recognized my own (not quite as bad.) I like Al Franken's line - "I lived through the Great Depression - my mother's."

by Anonymousreply 250January 3, 2016 5:56 AM

Grease 2 and the first 3 Silent Night, Deadly Night movies.

by Anonymousreply 251January 3, 2016 6:36 AM

Ham Lushbaugh: the movie

by Anonymousreply 252January 3, 2016 6:39 AM

I just remembered another one...I LOVE the movie "Bobby" which was written and directed by Emilio Estevez. It's about the assassination of Robert Kennedy and filled with star cameos. Sharon Stone is excellent as the wife of the Ambassador Hotel's manager. Martin Sheen, Helen Hunt, Shia Labeouf, Lindsey Lohan, Demi Moore, Anthony Hopkins, Harry Belafonte, Heather Graham, Ashton Kutcher, William Macy, Laurence Fishburne, and Christian Slater are also in it.

by Anonymousreply 253January 3, 2016 7:19 AM

I enjoyed the movie "Bobby", too.

I really loved the Aretha Franklin/Mary J Blige duet, "Never Gonna Break My Faith" from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 254January 3, 2016 9:34 AM

R246, no, you're not alone, and now neither am I!

by Anonymousreply 255January 3, 2016 4:12 PM

R205 mentioned White Noise with Michael Keaton. I liked that one, too.

by Anonymousreply 256January 3, 2016 4:19 PM

Millenium with Ladd and Kristofferson. Every time it gets close to working it undercuts itself. Has an oasis of a fun scene in the middle where Ladd and Kristofferson go out on a date. It works like crazy when the rest of the film is mediocre. Andl, the scene of Commando Stewardesses hijacking your flight through time to a Dystopian future packs a pulpy wallop. Loved it when Scott Thompson scewered it on The Kids in the Hall (he's in it).

by Anonymousreply 257January 3, 2016 6:32 PM

"Strange Days"... an awesome movie about black market memory recording, murder, corruption, and the turn of the millennium. LOVED it. Everyone else hated it, and it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 258January 3, 2016 6:37 PM

R258 - I LOVE Strange Days too. Didn't realise it was considered a flop.

by Anonymousreply 259January 3, 2016 6:43 PM

Strange Days had a budget of $42 million.

It didn't even make $8 million in domestic box-office.

That's pretty much a flop.

by Anonymousreply 260January 3, 2016 6:45 PM

R260 - Ouch. It deserved so much better.

by Anonymousreply 261January 3, 2016 6:47 PM

It opened at #8 at the box office and never really did any better.

Yeah, it's a really sad fate for what is actually a really good movie.

by Anonymousreply 262January 3, 2016 6:51 PM

I hate to admit this but I love The Slumber Party Masssacre films. I'm watching part 2 now. Fuck it. I'm starting a thread about.

by Anonymousreply 263January 3, 2016 9:01 PM

Speaking of...I love Strange Invaders with Paul Lemat, Nancy Allen, and Diana Scarwid. Most people are pretty polarized on it, you either love it or hate it. A feel-good alien invasion thriller.Fiona Lewis makes a hell of an Avon Lady...

by Anonymousreply 264January 3, 2016 9:02 PM

Solarbabies

by Anonymousreply 265January 3, 2016 9:03 PM

"Deep Impact. The dysfunctional main family, neurotic to the last.

2012. Love the fx of LA sinking."

I love popcorn disaster flicks. I'd add "The Day After Tomorrow" and "San Andreas".

Disaster porn is oddly comforting to me.

by Anonymousreply 266January 3, 2016 9:12 PM

Another nod for STRANGE DAYS.

SUPERNOVA.

TRON: LEGACY.

by Anonymousreply 267January 3, 2016 9:26 PM

Carol.

by Anonymousreply 268January 3, 2016 9:32 PM

"The Core". It sort of plays like a satire of disaster movies, but it's probably the only film outside of her two Oscar performances in which I can tolerate Hilary Swank.

by Anonymousreply 269January 3, 2016 9:33 PM

The Black Hole.

by Anonymousreply 270January 3, 2016 10:20 PM

I LOVED "Employee of the Month"!

It is an EXCELLENT romantic comedy. I have no idea why I'd never heard of it, but I saw it on cable a year ago, and was highly entertained. Jessica Simpson is wonderful in it! Surprise!

by Anonymousreply 271January 3, 2016 10:32 PM

I love the old Amicus/American International Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptations - Land That Time Forgot, People That Time Forgot, and At The Earth's Core. Moderately-budgeted but surprisingly faithful to the source materials. Peter Cushing is a hammy delight in Core, and Sarah Douglas is crisp and fun as a liberated heiress/adventurer in People. Creature affects are fair-to-iffy, but that's part of the fun!

by Anonymousreply 272January 3, 2016 10:43 PM

Another nod to "The Core". Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 273January 4, 2016 12:00 AM

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

Bombed at the box office... yet its probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 274January 4, 2016 12:28 AM

Yes R274!!!

Luv it

by Anonymousreply 275January 4, 2016 12:30 AM

Jersey Boys

by Anonymousreply 276January 4, 2016 12:43 AM

Serial Mom

by Anonymousreply 277January 4, 2016 1:13 AM

Scott Pilgrim FTW R274. Kieran was a revelation as Wallace Wells, one of the great casting choices of the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 4, 2016 2:32 AM

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium - a large cast with neat cameos. Starring Suzanne Pleshette and a very handsome, young Ian McShane. Some great one liners and deadpan humor. One of those movies where you go, "Oh look, that's Robert Vaughn, and there's Ben Gazzara! Supporting cast includes Peggy Cass, Norman Fell, Reva Rose, Michael Constantine. There was a TV movie remake in 1987. I love the concept of the movie and would love to see it redone with a modern cast of characters.

by Anonymousreply 279January 4, 2016 2:48 AM

The Counselor

I Origins

Mr Jones

The Hoax

by Anonymousreply 280January 4, 2016 2:58 AM

I've probably watched "Scott Pilgrim" a hundred times by now. I have the entire movie and sound-track on my phone at all times. On my tablet. On my laptop. And I watch it on cable when it comes on. I never get tired of it.

And I don't even like Michael Cera!

by Anonymousreply 281January 4, 2016 9:32 PM

R281 = Knives Chow

by Anonymousreply 282January 4, 2016 9:34 PM

Actually, I think the entire "Scott Pilgrim" movie was pretty perfectly cast... Knives Chow especially.

by Anonymousreply 283January 4, 2016 9:36 PM

She-Devil: Roseanne stars and Streep is full camp. It's amazing.

Nothing But Trouble: Written and directed by Dan Aykroyd who stars with John Candy, Demi Moore and Chevy Chase. It's completely bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 284January 4, 2016 10:18 PM

Another vote for Scott Pilgrim and Strange Days.

by Anonymousreply 285January 4, 2016 10:23 PM

Yeah, She-Devil is definitely under-appreciated.

And "Fifty First Dates" is surprisingly good for an Adam Sandler movie. I don't know how well it did, but I can't imagine it was a box-office bonanza. I especially loved that they didn't wimp out and go with a happy fairy-tail ending.

by Anonymousreply 286January 4, 2016 10:26 PM

Who the fuck could possibly hate If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium?

It was one of the sweetest surprises I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 287January 4, 2016 10:40 PM

OT: R17 and R284 - have you seen the original BBC "Life and Loves of a She-Devil"? (Not a movie, tv mini series). Much, much darker, wilder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 4, 2016 10:53 PM

Don't know if Killer Joe qualifies. It made zero money at the box office (but then it was slapped with an NC17 justifiably no doubt). Critics either adored it or ripped it to shreds. Friedkin's masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 289January 5, 2016 12:31 AM

"A Wedding" by Robert Altman, "Untamed Heart", "Heathers", "Sister Act 2", "Talk Radio" and "Youth in Revolt"

by Anonymousreply 290January 5, 2016 12:43 AM

"Burlesque" the one with Christina Aguilera, "Separation City", "The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox", "Carnal Knowledge", "The Beguiled", "Burn After Reading", and "Follow Me!"/"The Public Eye".

by Anonymousreply 291January 5, 2016 12:57 AM

Any Nic Cage movie

Basic Instinct

The Vanishing (original in Dutch)

Mission Impossible - all of them

Final Destination

The Purge

Any James Bond Movie

by Anonymousreply 292January 5, 2016 1:12 AM

A second nod for The Black Hole.

by Anonymousreply 293January 5, 2016 1:16 AM

R292, Basic Instinct, The Vanishing (the original, not the horrible remake) and "any James Bond Movie" are not films critics or most people loathe.

by Anonymousreply 294January 5, 2016 1:17 AM

[quote]John Huston's Annie. I think it's adorable, even if a bit bloated.

This was on TCM recently and I really liked that number with Ann Reinking in that yellow dress - beautiful, graceful dancer.

by Anonymousreply 295January 5, 2016 1:19 AM

Kansas City Bomber with Raquel Welch's one decent performance as a Roller Derby Eve Harrington. Helena Kallianotes should have gotten an Oscar nod for her washed up, alcoholic Margo Channing on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 296January 5, 2016 1:20 AM

"Just You and Me, Kid" and "18 Again!" both with George Burns

by Anonymousreply 297January 5, 2016 1:22 AM

SO help me, but I even like the recent remake of Annie, and far prefer it to the Huston mess.

by Anonymousreply 298January 5, 2016 1:22 AM

"Mother, Jugs & Speed" Bill Cosby is in this but you know, I can't help but enjoy it!

by Anonymousreply 299January 5, 2016 1:23 AM

"Unfaithfully Yours" w/ Dudley Moore

by Anonymousreply 300January 5, 2016 1:38 AM

So many people seem to absolutely detest SHE-DEVIL (there have been many DL threads about it over the years - all of them negative). I thoroughly enjoy the movie and own it on DVD. Roseanne was terrific (excellent casting, and her acting was solid), and it's one of the few Streep performances (another being in DEATH BECOMES HER) I've seen that I genuinely like.

by Anonymousreply 301January 5, 2016 1:51 AM

"Osmosis Jones" w/ Bill Murray

by Anonymousreply 302January 5, 2016 2:00 AM

What about me??

by Anonymousreply 303January 5, 2016 2:01 AM

[quote]What about me?? —Ed Begley Jr

You're SHE-DEVIL's weak link, Ed. The females (Roseanne, Meryl, Sylvia, Linda, the ladies at the agency, the actress who played your daughter) all outshone you. It may also be because I find you so damned unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 304January 5, 2016 2:25 AM

"Freeway II: Confessions of a Trickbaby", "But I'm a Cheerleader" and "Slums of Beverly Hills" which all starred Natasha Lyonne.

by Anonymousreply 305January 5, 2016 2:44 AM

Luv slums of Beverly Hills!!

by Anonymousreply 306January 5, 2016 2:45 AM

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

Way better than its reputation.

Fun cast

by Anonymousreply 307January 5, 2016 2:47 AM

I find myself agreeing with a lot of these films, some of which I haven't thought of in years. "Hamlet 2" and "Strange Days," especially. I'll add "Gidget Goes to Rome" just for fun.

by Anonymousreply 308January 5, 2016 2:48 AM

R307 is my soulmate. I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 309January 5, 2016 2:53 AM

The Garbage Pail Kids movie. So dumb, but I love it. Ali Gator was such a badass.

by Anonymousreply 310January 5, 2016 2:53 AM

"Shelter", "The Beaver" and "Accepted"

by Anonymousreply 311January 5, 2016 2:56 AM

R309:

Amazing soundtrack as well:

Both the score by Carter Burwell & the songs poached by the 90s artists!!

by Anonymousreply 312January 5, 2016 2:56 AM

"Corrina, Corrina"

by Anonymousreply 313January 5, 2016 3:06 AM

How many people don't love Shelter? It's rare to see anyone with a bad word regarding it. It seems well-loved, deservedly...

by Anonymousreply 314January 5, 2016 3:07 AM

[R314] Critics gave it mixed reviews but they can go fuck themselves, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 315January 5, 2016 3:10 AM

"Perfect Stranger" and "The Rich Man's Wife" with Halle Berry, "Waking Up in Reno", "That's My Boy" (this movie has very negative ratings which is understandable but whatever--my moral compass isn't as high as it once was), "27 Dresses", "Femme Fatale" with Colin Firth (I can see why it wasn't on anyone's radar but it was endearing, honestly).

by Anonymousreply 316January 5, 2016 3:26 AM

What, R277? People/critics loathe Serial Mom?

Hmmph. Probably just the ones who live at The Cocksucker Residence!

by Anonymousreply 317January 5, 2016 3:28 AM

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Rachel Cohen wrote the Nora parts of the book and gay author David Levithan wrote the Nick parts. He is really a driving force as an author and editor for young adult gay books at Scholastic and Knopf. Their other book, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, is one that I hope gets made into a movie some day. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by Levithan and John Green would also make a good movie.

But my taste might be shit like my sister says because I loved Paper Towns.

by Anonymousreply 318January 5, 2016 4:13 AM

R318 reminded me:

1989's leviathan starring Peter Weller & Dick Crenna and a very high profile supporting cast

The best of the late 80s underwater thrillers

by Anonymousreply 319January 5, 2016 4:16 AM

Also:

My fav Spike Lee joint...

Summer of Sam

by Anonymousreply 320January 5, 2016 4:20 AM

"Skidoo" (hella campy but I enjoy it and the soundtrack is fun)!

by Anonymousreply 321January 5, 2016 5:04 AM

R319 reminded me:

Tha DeepStar Six is an awfully loveable monster movie. Fun cast, interesting deaths, Cindy Pickett tries *defibrillate* the creature to death, and a hysterical performance by Miguel Ferrer. If you're having a bad day, remind yourself of the kind of day Ferrer has in the movie...it'll pick you right up...

by Anonymousreply 322January 5, 2016 5:44 AM

"Now and Then"

by Anonymousreply 323January 5, 2016 5:34 PM

Buck Rogers In The 25th Century

by Anonymousreply 324January 5, 2016 5:36 PM

"Super" w/ Rainn Wilson, "Holy Rollers" w/ Jesse Eisenberg, "Away We Go" w/ John Krasinski, "Wild Target" w/ Bill Nighy", "Scenes from a Mall" w/ Bette Midler, and "That Old Feeling" also w/ Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 325January 5, 2016 5:49 PM

Superman III. A big letdown after the first two, but it was hilarious to see Chris Reeve's Superman get drunk, have five o'clock shadow, and flip the bird to an Italian vendor.

by Anonymousreply 326January 5, 2016 8:07 PM

Jurassic Park 3. I thought it was fun.

by Anonymousreply 327January 5, 2016 8:10 PM

Mark Wahlberg is insanely hot in FEAR, even though he doesn't show off his body nearly as much as he should. But also, I think it's a pretty good movie overall, especially in terms of the buildup of tension. Were the reviews all that bad?

by Anonymousreply 328January 5, 2016 8:29 PM

"The Waterboy". I crack up at this movie every time I see it.

by Anonymousreply 329January 5, 2016 8:38 PM

Waterworld. I know it was over budget, troubled, etc., but the movie itself ain't half bad.

by Anonymousreply 330January 5, 2016 8:39 PM

Agreed, R330. Dennis Hopper is a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 331January 5, 2016 8:46 PM

R292, I'm partial to 'Guarding Tess', even if Shirley is a total maniac IRL. Maybe that makes it even better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332January 5, 2016 9:05 PM

Logan's Run (1976). I even find the cheesy sets that look like a typical 70s shopping mall to be somehow endearing.

by Anonymousreply 333January 5, 2016 9:26 PM

Heaven's Gate. If you watch the HG doc on youtube it shows how in crowd scenes, even the extras were placed and positioned a certain way, one at a time. I found that level of detail fascinating.

And the score is just lovely. It's fantastic road trip music. On youtube as well, just like everything else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 5, 2016 9:49 PM

"Knowing" with Nic Cage

Another vote for "I Origins"

Loving "She Devil" as well

Remake of "Diabolique" and "Intersection" both with Sharon Stone

"Mothman Prophecies"

All stupid Melissa McCarthy/Will Ferrell movies

by Anonymousreply 335January 5, 2016 10:14 PM

I have no idea why I like "The Mothman Prophecies", but when it comes on TV or cable, I watch it every time. It's so creepy and effective.

by Anonymousreply 336January 5, 2016 10:21 PM

They shot many Logan's Run interiors at a Texas shopping mall, R333.

by Anonymousreply 337January 5, 2016 10:59 PM

"Jumper".

by Anonymousreply 338January 6, 2016 12:37 AM

Jumper was indeed kind of fun. And I kept waiting for Billy Elliot to "jump" across the room and fuck Anakin.

by Anonymousreply 339January 6, 2016 1:02 PM

Tempest with Susan Sarandon and Molly Ringwald

by Anonymousreply 340January 7, 2016 3:52 AM

Spaceballs

by Anonymousreply 341January 7, 2016 3:53 AM

Ten Commandments

by Anonymousreply 342January 7, 2016 3:56 AM

History of the world part 1

by Anonymousreply 343January 7, 2016 3:58 AM

Grandma's Boy

Most of the Farrelly brothers movies that the critics didn't like (Me Myself and Irene; Say It Isn't So; Stuck on You), although their later films really are dire (Dumb & Dumber To is unwatchable).

Liar Liar

The Ace Ventura films

The Cable Guy

Dude, Where's My Car

Just Married

Jawbreaker

None are great, but all are easy for me to watch.

by Anonymousreply 344January 7, 2016 4:00 AM

Add Role Models to the easy to watch category. It's funny and nerdy-cool

by Anonymousreply 345January 7, 2016 4:05 AM

Superstar!

A Night at the Roxbury

by Anonymousreply 346January 7, 2016 4:08 AM

Another Gay Sequel. Chopping Mall.

by Anonymousreply 347January 7, 2016 4:15 AM

Popeye

Flash Gordon

by Anonymousreply 348January 7, 2016 4:44 AM

Dark Water

by Anonymousreply 349January 7, 2016 7:40 AM

Funny someone mentioned "DUmb and Dumber"... because I think it's a really funny movie.

Which is odd, as I can't stand anything else the Farrelly brothers ever made! And "D&D" was on again last week, and much to my amazement, I thought it was hilarious. I think much of the credit goes to the actors, Carrey and Daniels are both very talented, and maybe they managed to make things funny in spite of the horrible directors.

by Anonymousreply 350January 7, 2016 9:08 AM

"Blonde Ambition" w/ Jessica Simpson & Luke Wilson

by Anonymousreply 351January 10, 2016 3:04 AM

Slither

Eight-Legged Freaks

by Anonymousreply 352January 12, 2016 4:08 AM

Bridges of Madison County, I love Streep in that film.

by Anonymousreply 353January 12, 2016 4:48 AM

Event Horizon

by Anonymousreply 354January 12, 2016 10:30 AM

"Bernie" with Jack Black, Shirley McLaine,and McBongo. It's a true story and featured actual town residents who knew them both.

"A Chorus Line" with Michael Douglas. I saw the play as well. It's campy good fun.

"John Wick" - it's been on premium cable quite a bit and I find myself watching it no matter it comes on. Watched it last night as a matter of fact.

"Twister" - the acting is soooooooooo bad in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 355January 14, 2016 1:52 PM

'Perfect' 1985 with Johny Travolta and Jamie Lee. A typical 80s movie with a waifer thin plot and a slutty Marilu that banged the entire crew. Yes it sucks but I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 356January 14, 2016 2:16 PM

I loved "The Magus." So spooky and surreal. And it was a good read also.

by Anonymousreply 357January 14, 2016 2:32 PM

R318, they actually made a Naomi movie. It's available on VOD release right now.

by Anonymousreply 358January 14, 2016 4:06 PM

The first Sex and the City. It's more cerebral and well-structured than most summer blockbusters. I think the male critics went into the movie ready to pan it. The sequel as just as terrible as it's reputation has made it.

by Anonymousreply 359January 14, 2016 4:07 PM

The Psycho remake. Anne Heche and Vince Vaughn are miscast and terrible in it. But Julianne Moore makes a better Lila than Vera Miles, and it had beautiful cinematography and production design. They really took advantage of the opportunity to bring color to it. If they had a stronger Marion or Norman, I'd probably watch it more than the original.

Viggo Mortensen's hot ass certainly helps, although John Gavin was the type of gorgeous you'd see more in movies made today than back then.

by Anonymousreply 360January 14, 2016 4:09 PM

Psycho III is also the best of the sequels. I remember Leonard Maltin gave it a BOMB. But the well-received Psycho II is quite boring and poorly paced. Anthony Perkins was a stylish director and had incredibly inventive scene transitions. There is a gay sensibility to it, especially the semi-nude appearance by an in-his-prime Jeff Mahey, which is why I probably responded to it so well.

by Anonymousreply 361January 14, 2016 4:13 PM

It pains me that Jupiter Ascending got so many Razzies... doesn't deserve any of them. A fun movie, a visual feast, so much imagination. I've seen it three times now (once in theaters, twice on cable/HBO) and it just gets better each time.

by Anonymousreply 362January 14, 2016 5:46 PM

I remember reading bad reviews for "It's My Party" but I loved the film. I still watch it when it comes around on movie channels or basic cable.

by Anonymousreply 363January 14, 2016 6:04 PM

200 Cigarettes was panned, and deservedly, in some ways (it is sprawling, pointless and trite), but it has undeniable charm in places. Martha Plimpton makes the film for me (with scarcely any screentime), but to her credit her sincerity will add to any movie. Gaby Hoffman was cast excellently opposite Martha as her hot-tempered Long Island cousin, and their 'Costello' scene at the end was the hilight of the whole movie. Courtney Love was never better in a film (yes, really--she plays sloppy, effervescent party-girl Lucy perfectly), and Paul Rudd is wonderful opposite her, I bought the chemistry between them. Their bed scene took me by surprise with its delicacy, especially in such an ADD movie.

It's a cool bonus to see both Affleck Bros. star in minor roles and playing themselves, basically (Ben as a smoking hot but verbose and grandstanding bartender/Law student, and Casey as an awkward romantic teenager masquerading as a rocker dropout). Janeane Garofalo shows up to steal a scene from Court, which is a joy (remember Glory Daze?), and Dave Chappelle's disco cabbie was a touch of genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364January 14, 2016 7:13 PM

Fresh Horses

by Anonymousreply 365January 15, 2016 1:10 AM

"Inside Monkey Zetterland"

I like Steve Antin's offbeat, LA Valley dude way of thinking and talking, and all the random co-stars: Patricia Arquette, Sandra Bernhard, Debi Mazar, Ricki Lake, Martha Plimpton, Rupert Everett, Katherine Helmond, Tate Donovan, Sofia Coppola.

I thought it was innocuous and different, but some friends watched it and hated it. Now I limit my recommendations unless they're generalized.

by Anonymousreply 366January 15, 2016 6:25 AM

[R34] I agree!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Jawbreaker"!!!

by Anonymousreply 367February 5, 2016 2:07 PM

The Road to Wellville.

by Anonymousreply 368February 5, 2016 3:05 PM

Dream A Little Dream (1989). It's unrealistic, pandering (to teen girls), coke-fuelled and it does not make a lick of sense, but it's so funny, weird and madcap I can't help but bust it out a couple times a year. You have to respect how it totally tramples genre-boundary lines and conventional dynamics of a teen film, and how even the minor characters catch your interest. The setting is bright, the soundtrack bangs along in the expected blaring fashion, the puns fail hard, but what makes it cool is this confused and electric undercurrent that offsets it, as if the story is aware the world is about to change, or something. The denouement is melodramatic and predictable, like all 80's flicks, but the rest of the movie has that nonchalant surreality going on, that was repackaged as 'indie' about 10 years later. It isn't plausible but it is endlessly interesting....and I don't think it was written that way. It beats the flat and flashy likes of the similarly plotted 17 Again.

Jason Robards is solid, but Corey Haim steals the show in a supporting role, injecting his extraneous character with so much life you forget he isn't the lead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369February 11, 2016 4:16 PM

Loved Idlewild with Big Boi &. Andre 3000 from Outkast. Love anything 1920s, Speakeasies

by Anonymousreply 370February 11, 2016 4:26 PM

I also love TRON: LEGACY, THE NET, CLOUD ATLAS, and A WEDDING. WONDER BOYS is one of my all-time favorite films.

I haven't seen JUPITER ASCENDING, but seeing as I love CLOUD ATLAS so much I really want to watch it. I also love PRET A PORTER, but most people seem to think it's terrible. I think John Carpenter's THE WARD was superb and exactly how that kind of story should be done, as opposed to Scorsese's bloated, tedious and of course very successful SHUTTER ISLAND.

by Anonymousreply 371February 11, 2016 4:42 PM

[quote]I really liked John Carter too. I think the lousy trailer killed that film.

And the generic title. They could've titled it something better. 'John Carter' is so unimaginative and one of the most common names around.

by Anonymousreply 372February 11, 2016 7:26 PM

Last night, I watched THE SILVER CHALICE as an Ash Wednesday memento. It's probably the best worst movie ever made. It's just so funny on so many levels. Nothing beats Jack Palance as the crazed Simon the Magician(I can fly!) or Virginia Mayo as his slutty sidekick. The sets are bizarre, the acting is wooden(especially poor Paul Newman in his acting debut), and yet there's so much camp here that you feel that the director and writers had to be in on the joke. And boy does Paul Newman look hot in a toga.

by Anonymousreply 373February 11, 2016 7:49 PM

I don't think anyone loathed it, but most people were distinctly underwhelmed by Pedro Almodovar's last film, I'M SO EXCITED; but I love it so much. I think it's hilarious and bold and actually very moving in the end. I think Almodovar's incapable of making a truly bad film.

by Anonymousreply 374February 11, 2016 7:52 PM

It takes 15 years to scroll to the bottom of this thread.

My choices:

A CHORUS LINE (1985) - I realize how bad it is but thoroughly enjoy it every time

BITTER MOON (1992) - Obviously one of Polanski's weakest films but still eminently watchable

by Anonymousreply 375February 11, 2016 8:13 PM

R375 next time, just press the down arrow at the bottom of the screen, to the right of the green REPLY.

by Anonymousreply 376February 11, 2016 8:19 PM

Thanks, R376!

by Anonymousreply 377February 11, 2016 8:26 PM

Another shout out for John Carter. Disney's marketing department destroyed the movie. John Carter on Mars would have been a hit. A John Carter on Mars reboot might make sense right now.

by Anonymousreply 378February 11, 2016 11:28 PM

I loved the Wonder Boys too but it was hardly loathed by the critics.

by Anonymousreply 379February 12, 2016 1:28 AM

Teen Witch

by Anonymousreply 380February 12, 2016 1:37 AM

R371/379 is the film adaptation of 'Wonder Boys' good, then? I couldn't be bothered to finish reading it, which surprised me (and bummed me out) because I read 'Kavalier & Clay' 5 times over (I don't think a movie could ever do it justice, its a Titan and some of the best characterisation and plotting I've ever read).

by Anonymousreply 381February 12, 2016 1:53 PM

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee).

Wuxia purists consider it a terrible movie, and it is, in some ways (plotholes, clunky script, pointless long battles) but like many Westerners new to the genre, I loved CTHD and used it as a Gateway film. It's breezy and pacey with great female characters, as well as beautiful to look at, so it's not like it has nothing to offer. I laughed when I saw Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time, it clearly borrows heavily from CTHD.

by Anonymousreply 382February 16, 2016 9:10 PM

R382 how so?

by Anonymousreply 383February 16, 2016 9:21 PM

Elizabeth Swan and Xiaolong, for one. Both Governor's daughters, both rebellious, both pursued by mad drunken swordsmen and wanting out of arranged marriages.

There are other strong parallels in the cinematography and in the stuntwork. I far prefer CTHD myself, better characters and pace.

by Anonymousreply 384February 16, 2016 9:36 PM

I saw CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON when it was released, at a cinema just off Chinatown in London, during Chinese New Year celebrations. The cinema was packed but the film was almost ruined by one idiot who kept laughing at all the fantastical stuff, like people jumping higher than is humanly possible and basically flying, etc. Everyone kept tutting loudly at him but this did little to subdue his mirth. Bastard. Great film.

I recently bought two King Hu films on DVD: A TOUCH OF ZEN and DRAGON INN. Wonderful films, especially the former.

by Anonymousreply 385February 16, 2016 9:50 PM

R32, I will always remember Miss Barbra Streisand's film "The Mirror Has Two Faces" by the name the guys in "Gays on Film" gave it -

The Mirror has two faces - mmmhhmmm and a big ol' nose, three chins, and some saggy titties too!

I think that may also be the best description of Streisand I've ever heard too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386February 16, 2016 9:51 PM

While not exactly a movie critics loathed, it was a film that was overlooked, got mixed reviews, and has been largely forgotten in recent years...

"Two Hands", the Australian film with Heath Ledger

I can watch it over and over...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387February 16, 2016 9:59 PM

R386 did they steal that from Tracey Ullman?

[quote]"We had Barbra Streisand in through here, yes. The mirror has two faces, four chins, a saggy ass, and some mo' shit. That James Brolin boy, he looks like her grandson."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388February 16, 2016 10:01 PM

ADAM, starring Hugh Dancy.

by Anonymousreply 389February 16, 2016 10:02 PM

Stardust Memories and Interiors.

Both got lousy reviews and they are both wonderful.

Loathsome as a person Woody was the best American filmmaker of the 70s and 80s.

Sweet Charity

As uneven as it is it reaches heights that very few movie musicals reach.

And though I'm gayer than laughter Barbara Bouchet and Suzanne Charny drive me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 390February 16, 2016 10:03 PM

R388, I'm sure it was Tracey Ullman's line and I just mis-attributed it.

It's priceless - thanks for correcting me - Tracey deserves credit for the line and for her delivery.

by Anonymousreply 391February 16, 2016 10:09 PM

r390 STARDUST MEMORIES is my favorite Allen film. I also think BROADWAY DANNY ROSE is an incredible film. Is there anyone here who thinks anything he's made in the last 20 years is up there with his best?

by Anonymousreply 392February 16, 2016 10:12 PM

Love Broadway Danny Rose as well!

by Anonymousreply 393February 16, 2016 10:28 PM

R389, right there with you. I really enjoyed that movie, must mostly because I spent the entire movie dreaming about cuddling with Hugh Dancy

by Anonymousreply 394February 17, 2016 1:23 AM

'The Sweetest Thing'. If only for the unexpected lewdness, and the look on my mother's face in reaction to The Penis Song (first saw it living at home, watched it on cable). Cammy D is adorable madness, Selma Blair perfects that creepy-baby-slut thing only she does, and Xtina Applegate is hot yet snarky and dykey (she totally looks like a girl Mark Wahlberg, same face). It should be a camp classic by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395February 17, 2016 11:57 PM

THE FLOCK with Richard Gere and Claire Danes. The right mix and camp and serious.

Ozon's ANGEL with Romola Garai and Michael Fassbender.

James Ivory's QUARTET with Maggie Smith, Alan Bates and Isabelle Adjani.

Stephan Elliot's EASY VIRTUE with Jessica Biel and Colin Firth.

by Anonymousreply 396February 22, 2016 1:52 PM

Freddy Got Fingered.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 397February 22, 2016 1:57 PM

Wedding Singer- Adam and Drew. Music and Lyrics- Hugh and Drew.

by Anonymousreply 398February 22, 2016 7:27 PM

Recently The Lone Ranger. It didn't do well, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 399February 22, 2016 8:13 PM

I heart Huckabees

Lily Tomlin is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 400February 22, 2016 10:23 PM

Valley of the dolls, showgirls, last tango in Paris, the dreamers. Some erotic movies hated by critics both American and foreign.

by Anonymousreply 401February 22, 2016 11:31 PM

[quote]Waterworld. I know it was over budget, troubled, etc., but the movie itself ain't half bad.

I love that movie. I actually thought it had fascinating world building, Kevin Costner was hot in it, and Dennis Hopper is a fun villain. What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 402March 14, 2020 3:20 AM

The Lady In the Water

by Anonymousreply 403March 14, 2020 3:31 AM

Black Widow. I've always found the idea of creating a new identity to be weirdly compelling.

by Anonymousreply 404March 14, 2020 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!