Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Cary Joji Fukunaga Thread

Because all the other threads for this gorgeous, talented man appear to be old and closed.

Yes, he knows True Detective S2 was a flop and no, he [italic]still[/italic] doesn't seem to care enough to actually watch it. He's been getting a lot attention again after his latest film, Beasts of No Nation, premiered on Netflix in October. He sat down with Michael Moore to talk about it for Interview, which was a pretty good read. He has quite a few future projects lined up -- film, more television, even some theatre work too, apparently.

Has anyone had a chance to watch BoNN yet? Thoughts? What do we think of his other directorial efforts? I think Jane Eyre is still on Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2020 3:52 AM

That acne scarred face drives me wild!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2015 7:04 PM

god i want to be inside him. deeply.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2015 7:55 PM

r1 oh miss priss. you are gonna die a virgin!

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2015 7:56 PM

Rude, r1. Perhaps not the best picture he's ever taken, but there's no denying that he's a very good looking man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2015 7:56 PM

R3: that's rich coming from someone lusting after some random on the Internet.

Sweets, I've forgotten more partners than you've had even in your tumblr fantasies...

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2015 8:19 PM

... and another. Yes of course, r5, you sound like you must be quite the catch.

Now [italic]anyways [/italic], the only work of his I've seen outside of TD as of yet is Jane Eyre. There were aspects of the story itself I didn't really care for, but everything else was on point. Solid acting, good cinematography, etc. I feel like I've seen some mixed reviews for BoNN around, but I'd like to make some time for it soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2015 9:31 PM

He has a gorgeous nose.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2015 9:49 PM

r5 written like a virgin braggart if I am not mistaken.. and i seldom am!

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2015 10:06 PM

And some more. So handsome.

The ladies @ LSA have a thread for him that I've been following for a while. They post some good interviews with him, like the one I linked in the OP. As far as gossip goes, I don't think there was anything particularly juicy being spilled. Pretty private guy. Straight, I'm assuming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2015 1:22 AM

I don't know about rude, R1 is just a dumbass. Those aren't acne scars, it's called stubble. Fukunaga's skin is gorgeous.

Beasts Of No Nation was riveting. Really fantastic performance from Idris Elba, but the kids broke your heart. I thought it was well done and really fascinating. Fukunaga is definitely talented. His direction is so assured from very early on, with Sin Nombre, and Jane Eyre was beautiful. The fact that he's gorgeous and intelligent is just the icing on the cake.

I believe Pizzolatto targets Fukunaga in TD's second season when Annie and Ray visit the filmset and the director is painted as something of a pussyhound.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2015 1:43 AM

Glad to hear that about BoNN, r10. Yes, there's been a lot of speculation that Pizzolatto was making some thinly veiled jabs at him this past season. So petty. Cary brushes it off pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2015 11:26 PM

god i want to spread those legs and eat his ass like rosie o donnel eats at a buffet

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2015 10:07 PM

R12 hear, hear!

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2015 3:26 AM

😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2015 1:35 AM

From his Man of the World shoot. I'm actually not all that fond of the editing here. The oversharpening is a little harsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2015 3:27 AM

Idris is among the SAG nominees for his role in BoNN!

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2015 5:35 PM

id rather have my dick be a beast inside his nation!

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2015 9:36 PM

In the tub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2015 9:43 PM

Beasts of No Nation is getting a little more love this award season. Four noms from the NAACP Image Awards: Outstanding Motion Picture, Outstanding Independent Motion Picture, and both Outstanding Actor/Supporting Actor for young Abraham Attah and Idris.

Only one GG nom for Idris's performance.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2015 9:47 PM

15, he looks like he smells in that picture. 18, glad he's taking a bath.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2015 6:27 PM

Shut up, R20.

He's so dreamy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2016 4:46 PM

sigh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2016 4:49 PM

Beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2016 5:53 PM

He's good-looking. The eyes are a little close together but glasses help disguise that. He has a girlfriend, she's Latina and not in the industry. He is from lower class Oakland but now plays polo at some fancy country club outside of Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2016 5:57 PM

R23, I don't think any mating produces a higher percentage of truly stunning faces than the Asian (but especially Japanese)/Scandinavian blend. They always seem to get the best of both worlds.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2016 5:59 PM

[quote]Because all the other threads for this gorgeous, talented man appear to be old and closed.

Why is he closed?

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2016 6:17 PM

i want to fuckanaga fukunaga

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2016 10:13 PM

Hold the phones, DL! It looks like we can add [italic]actor[/italic] to his resume. Cary is making his onscreen debut in So Yong Kim's film Lovesong, which is currently in competition at Sundance. He's playing the husband of one of the main characters. Just a bit role by the sound of it, but it's cool to see him involved in these lgbt themed projects.

Huh, r26? The few threads about him are locked due to inactivity. Outside of True Detective he's not a very popular topic of discussion here. One of his upcoming projects will probably make him a little more relevant to DL, though I remember the news of him teaming up with the Brokeback Mountain screenwriters wasn't all that well received.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2016 3:31 AM

He def has a face for in front of the camera, not just behind.

by Anonymousreply 29January 28, 2016 1:45 PM

The best part of the Lovesong review: It may sound cheesy, but as a snapshot of a dawning attraction it's more vivid and convincing than anything in Carol, a movie Lovesong calls to mind in theme if not in style, tone or setting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 28, 2016 1:51 PM

Cary looking hot AF for Vogue Italia 😍😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 29, 2016 9:26 PM

More.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 30, 2016 4:47 PM

Who is going to translate the article for us?

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2016 4:50 PM

There's still nothing up on the English version of the site, unfortunately, and what google translate gave me was pretty rough. Not really anything new to talk about tbh. The article was mostly about BoNN with the same old mentions of TD. There was some info about a new TV project he's involved in, though:

[quote]Although another series in the pipeline have it. "A project for TNT, is titled Alienist ". Inspired all'omoni- mo novel by Caleb Carr, investigates on the first serial killer in New York at the end of 1800.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2016 5:34 PM

Cary @ the American Society of Cinematographers Awards Nominee Dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 15, 2016 5:35 PM

Clear skin:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 15, 2016 5:44 PM

Braids:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 15, 2016 5:45 PM

Man bun:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 15, 2016 5:47 PM

The corporate look:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 15, 2016 5:49 PM

Loving the curls here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 15, 2016 8:36 PM

Do we suspect he is gay?

by Anonymousreply 41February 15, 2016 9:42 PM

Cary at the ASC Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2016 12:28 AM

His category was LOL. There were three guys nominated for the Spotlight award... and the other two guys tied for it. *cringe*

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2016 4:05 PM

Cary @ the Independent Spirit Awards. Both Idris and Abraham won for their performances..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 29, 2016 2:19 AM

Well, the academy could not bring themselves to vote for Sly. Dark horse Mark Rylance wins! Score one for the real actors.

by Anonymousreply 45February 29, 2016 2:40 AM

Sorry girls, the cock is acorn-sized.

by Anonymousreply 46February 29, 2016 2:54 AM

He won the genetic lottery.

by Anonymousreply 47February 29, 2016 3:18 AM

Sin Nombre has some incredibly nasty-hot gangbangers.

He took his adorable, very short, Japanese American dad as his date to Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 48February 29, 2016 3:53 AM

more Cary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2016 9:53 PM

Vanity Fair, March 2016

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2016 5:23 AM

Finally some news on The Alienist: Garret Hedlund may be snagging up the lead role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2016 12:27 PM

Jane Eyre, which Cary directed, is one of my favorite movies of the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2016 12:33 PM

More info on the source material:

[quote][italic]The year is 1896, the place, New York City. On a cold March night New York Times reporter John Schuyler Moore is summoned to the East River by his friend and former Harvard classmate Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, a psychologist, or “alienist.” On the unfinished Williamsburg Bridge, they view the horribly mutilated body of an adolescent boy, a prostitute from one of Manhattan’s infamous brothels.

[quote]The newly appointed police commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt, in a highly unorthodox move, enlists the two men in the murder investigation, counting on the reserved Kreizler’s intellect and Moore’s knowledge of New York’s vast criminal underworld. They are joined by Sara Howard, a brave and determined woman who works as a secretary in the police department. Laboring in secret (for alienists, and the emerging discipline of psychology, are viewed by the public with skepticism at best), the unlikely team embarks on what is a revolutionary effort in criminology– amassing a psychological profile of the man they’re looking for based on the details of his crimes. Their dangerous quest takes them into the tortured past and twisted mind of a murderer who has killed before, and will kill again before the hunt is over.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2016 3:01 PM

And it looks like his name might be attached to another TV series -- this one a dark comedy with Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. Already a thread about this one, but w/e.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 18, 2016 8:43 PM

Cary serving us Blue Steel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2016 7:18 PM

His WWII project now has writers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2016 10:55 PM

Also. Cary at the Met.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2016 11:24 PM

His movies are sooo boring.

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2016 11:27 PM

I am laughing at that being the only pic that they took of him at the Met Gala. His star has dropped considerably in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2016 5:48 PM

Another HBO gig for Cary in the works?

[quote]HBO is preparing a miniseries based on Stanley Kubrick's research for a film dubbed his "greatest never-made film" — a planned story on French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte's 19th century struggle to bring Europe under his total control. True Detective Emmy winner Cary Fukunaga is in talks to direct the mini, which is in development at the premium cable network.

In other news, it looks like True Detective is dead in the water. Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2016 4:48 PM

From OP's Interview article

[quote] Throw a dart at any point along the eight-hour running time of True Detective Season 1 and you are bound to hit someone’s favorite frame, favorite shot, favorite moment. ... So rich was the lemony and lavender Louisiana bog Fukunaga constructed, and so arresting his cinematography of it, that every one of those eight episodes still rewards repeat viewings, reinterpretation. Really, so good was that show that it may have changed the way television and films are made and watched from here on out.

I watched Season 1 only after seeing the more or less terrible Season 2 and quite frankly I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't anything totally new but rather a well-made cop show with movie stars giving great performances. They did nail the mood but still, nothing we haven't really seen before. That said I wasn't there when it first aired and obviously missed the zeitgeist of the moment

I tried to get into Season 3 but one episode of acteurs SERIOUSLY ACTING WE'RE REALLY SERIOUSLY ACTING HERE was more than enough. Anyone who hasn't seen the show at all should just do themselves a favor and treat Season 1 as a limited series and forget other seasons even exist. I did like Taylor Kitsch on season two, though.

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2020 12:19 PM

Oh shit, I didn't notice how old this thread was. I just followed a link and didn't realize the latest post was from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2020 12:21 PM

Just anyone saying season 1 of True Detective is just OK is silly. It earned its credibility by the extended scene they did with the raid half way through the season. Brilliant direction

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2020 3:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!