Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trevor Noah Is A Disaster.

Media finally confirms what everyone else has known for months: Comedy Central fucked up. The Daily Show is NOT FUNNY and viewership is in serious trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2018 7:35 PM

Like everyone, I adored Jon Stewart. Trevor is doing fine. He's just a tad more mean-spirited than Jon.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2015 11:55 AM

To expect Trevor to be at Jon's level is just asking for disappointment. He'll never match Jon in comedic chops or intellect. Yes, he's still a bit nervous and tentative. Hell, do you remember Conan's first few years on the air? Not a pretty picture. As for the ratings decline. They had to see that coming, but it's worth noting that it's not all bad news in ratings. From the OP's article:

[quote]Nielsen stats show a 37 percent drop overall. However, there has been an increase in the coveted 18-to-24 demographic by 20 percent, and on-demand streaming (presumably from younger online viewers) has increased by 44 percent.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2015 12:27 PM

I think Jon Stewart and his constant mugger were vastly overrated: His writers did all the work.

I also think this is hilarious spin:

[quote] Nielsen stats show a 37 percent drop overall. However, there has been an increase in the coveted 18-to-24 demographic by 20 percent, and on-demand streaming (presumably from younger online viewers) has increased by 44 percent.

So, in other words, less OLDER views and MORE younger viewers. CC must be devastated!

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2015 12:32 PM

This guy was never funny.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2015 12:47 PM

I don't think Jon's first year was anything special, was it?

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2015 12:47 PM

Streaming doesn't matter to advertisers.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2015 1:09 PM

[quote]Streaming doesn't matter to advertisers.

They are dinosaurs. And the meteor has already hit.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2015 1:22 PM

He loves Rand Paul.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2015 1:28 PM

Not everyone adored Jon Stewart, R1. I could only take him in very small doses. So smug. But he was better than Noah.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2015 1:29 PM

My problem with Trevor Noah is that he seems to have forgotten the conceit of the show, that it's a fake newscast. He delivers everything with a grin (or maybe it just looks like that because of his dimples).

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2015 5:33 PM

[quote] Streaming doesn't matter to advertisers.

Wrong. DVR doesn't matter to advertisers. Streaming is a whole other ball of wax. When you watch something on a streaming site such as Hulu or the network's own streaming channel, you're getting commercials you cannot fast forward through. Yes. HULU offers no commercials (for $12, which is ridiculous, and now that every network has their own free streaming channel, except for CBS, I dumped it. Why should I pay $8 a month to have to watch commercials?), but they're the only ones.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2015 5:39 PM

I don't mind him. I just don't understand, when the Daily Show had so many great correspondents to choose from, they pick an unknown South African? It's a decidedly American satire. To not fully grasp Americana in all its pomp and happenstance (and Trevor does not) was just so strange a choice. It ruins the humor and the bite.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2015 5:40 PM

Yes since it is an American show, why a foreigner. It already annoys me a bit that when John Oliver speaks in the "everyman american voice". Not an American far as I know. And John Oliver delivers the goods. But this fact sticks out.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2015 5:44 PM

Also we have an american black doing a similar show - Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore. Which is a very likeable show and hits the middlebrow note and manages not be shrill. Even when the bits aren't all that clever - I like it. Also Wilmore covers all the race/ethnicity angles and Trevor Noah and his show seem to sort of avoid it because he's not "doing a black show". So what is the point? There is no point.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2015 5:47 PM

R13 - to be fair, Oliver's rather brilliant at what he does, he's hosting his own show after nearly a decade as a Daily Show correspondent and he's an American citizen. Far less of an outsider than Noah who fully admits he's still figuring out American culture and politics.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2015 5:50 PM

Agreed with the upthread poster who said Noah delivers everything with a grin. TDS is a parody of newscasts, not a stand-up routine. I like Noah well enough, but TDS isn't a good fit for him. He's also not a very good interviewer -- or he'd be a good interviewer on a morning show that's all softball questions. I know Jessica Williams said she didn't want the host's seat because she didn't think she was ready for it, but she's who I want to see sitting in the chair (if they have to cannibalize their own staff).

I'm giving TN until the end of the year before I stop watching. Or I'll only watch when there's a guest I want to see (although the guests haven't been all that since TN took over).

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2015 6:52 PM

Wilmore is a very low-key, easygoing guy, but when I see his show I think "low energy." It's fine for chit-chat after work, but the one thing I liked about Jon Stewart was that he regularly changed the discourse about a person or event. He influenced the public to look at politicians with a jaundiced eye when they were spouting bullshit, and not just by disagreeing with them, but by presenting facts that disproved what they were saying. And he did it with energy and conviction. He made it okay to call a liar a liar. Not just laugh at it all like "who cares, isn't Trump funny, ha ha."

Wilmore sometimes sounds like he's been smoking too much. If he was any calmer, you'd have to take his pulse.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2015 8:39 PM

Agree with R16 that the guests have been crap on TDS since Jon left. And TNS's panel format is almost entirely unknowns, like a poor man's Real Time.

I think Trevor is our rebound fling after ending our long-time relationship.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2015 1:05 AM

Yes, which means he's got a couple more months and then adios. You really don't think Comedy Central hasn't been having conversations about replacing him? Bitches, please.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2015 11:28 AM

I think they should have a blond anchor with a transparent desk and short skirts, with the camera zooming over and under the desk showing her legs, just like Fox News does with Megyn Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2015 1:23 PM

He shouldn't return next season.

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2015 1:38 PM

R20, it would be funnier if the bottom of the desk was a tv screen that projected white, miniskirted legs in high heels crossing and uncrossing, and the occupant of the desk was a man, or a woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2015 2:43 PM

My partner's British and he loathes John Oliver and all his Brit bashing to suck up to Americans. Nobody in the UK has ever even heard of Oliver. He's an American invention and he's obnoxious, not funny.

Trevor Noah is a disaster. I particularly hate that he laughs at all his own jokes. I normally love dimples, but I just want to punch him right in the dimples. Why didn't they give the show to Larry Wilmore or Asif Mandvi? They are 100X funnier and more relevant than Noah.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2015 2:47 PM

[quote]My partner's British and he loathes John Oliver and all his Brit bashing to suck up to Americans. Nobody in the UK has ever even heard of Oliver.

Your partner is a thin-skinned bore.

Oliver even jokes about being a nobody back in England.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2015 3:05 PM

R3 was correct in that it was largely the writers, and those writers' voices occasionally come through in Noah's delivery as well. When CC announced Noah, I immediately thought it a mistake. He'd been hired for TDS as a correspondent and then, bam, he's the host? The problem was that Sam Bee and Jason Jones also wanted to quit, and the rest of the correspondents weren't any more experienced than Noah, so there wasn't a hire from within really available.

What they should have done was go to a guest host years ago, when Stewart needed time off, or when the would go on the extended vacation periods. I mean, Stewart often joked that he worked 40 weeks a year for four days a week... and this was on CC's highest rated program. There was an opportunity for them to expand to truly daily coverage, even weekends, and then when Stewart or any of the other major correspondents wanted out, they were left with a hole to fill. And frankly, Stewart must have known he wanted out when he took the summer off to direct Rosewater, and Oliver filled in... so who at CC hated Oliver enough to let him go to HBO when it was clear he was being groomed for the anchor? Or at least the after-show, when they knew Colbert was leaving?

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2015 3:22 PM

I agree with R23 above. I wish he would stop laughing at his own jokes in a way that makes it seems like he's hearing them for the first time along with us. Enough!

I also agree with the Asif Mandvi choice. He would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2015 3:32 PM

This is who should not be on the air next year:

Trevor Noah

Candace Caneron

Paula Faris

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2015 3:39 PM

People said the same shit when Craig Kilborn left. Whet? I like Trevor, he's doing a fine job.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2015 3:43 PM

They should have Noah do the show in a jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2015 4:02 PM

But he's such a cutie. And has a bubble butt.

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2015 4:11 PM

Unfortunately R30, he can't talk out of his butt. Might be a lot funnier.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2015 12:00 AM

Comedy Central already did the rounds with the gig and got no bites, hence our friend Noah's moment in the sun. Who is funny, political and willing to take it on now?

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2015 3:11 AM

John Oliver is unwatchably obnoxious for me. Honking like a goose at the drop of a hat and way more simplistic and one eyed than even Stewart got. Almost a parody of the old guy in fact.

Never understood the plaudits. I'd put it down to American mouth breathers confusing a British accent with intelligence again, but he doesn't even have one of those accents! No one in Britain would mistake Oliver for someone worth listening to.

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2015 3:18 AM

You forgot James Corden, R27.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2015 3:26 AM

I wondered how Comedy Central and Noah would handle the transition. Stewart had over 2,500 episodes. I've been a semi-regular viewer for the last five years of his run. You remember the highlights. The funny bids and interviews.

For now every night Noah goes on some part of the audience is comparing his performance to the best memories of 2,500 episodes with Stewart. Who wins there? I doubt anyone beats Stewart in that competition.

My observation is that Noah is just as funny as Stewart and does a better job interviewing guests.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2015 3:42 AM

I'm assuming Noah works for cheap?

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2015 4:06 AM

R36 - considering Noah's international reputation - no he doesn't work for cheap.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2015 5:42 AM

People love Jon Stewart now, but I was definitely in the camp of people who thought Craig Kilbourne was 1000 times better. Jon eventually proved himself and now Craig is a blip in pop culture history (above Shelley Hack, below the girls kicked out of Destiny's Child)

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2015 5:48 AM

His reputation as a complete unknown outside one third world country?

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2015 5:49 AM

No one knew who he was when he was announced R37. He's incredibly cheap for CC. You are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2015 11:29 AM

R35 R37 = Trevor Noah

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2015 2:04 PM

R41 Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2015 2:54 PM

I am amazed how unappealing and talentless Trevor Noah is. He is an embarrassment to all of us Mullatos every where!

by Anonymousreply 43March 11, 2016 9:26 PM

I've never watched it since Jon Stewart left.

by Anonymousreply 44March 11, 2016 9:29 PM

Kilborn was better.

by Anonymousreply 45March 11, 2016 9:33 PM

Samantha Bee is doing way better on her own show, Full Frontal.

by Anonymousreply 46March 11, 2016 9:41 PM

They gotta meet their quota like everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 47March 11, 2016 9:42 PM

I don't like a South African commenting on the US. Can't stand his dialect either.

by Anonymousreply 48March 11, 2016 9:52 PM

I watched from when Noah started until the Christmas-New Years break and then gave up The Daily Show. I like Noah well enough, but he's too... amiable for TDS. Now I just check to see who his guests are and will record an episode if there's someone on I want to see. And that doesn't happen often either.

As much I enjoyed TDS it was kind of exhausting keeping up with it. The weekly half-hour shows from John Oliver and Samantha Bee are terrifically taking care of my quota of snarky political humor, so I don't miss TDS at all. (OK, Jessica Williams a little...)

by Anonymousreply 49March 11, 2016 9:58 PM

Yeah, r47, the world is only full of white people. GFYS.

by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2016 10:00 PM

I just saw a clip from that here recently, R46. It was hilarious, just as funny as anything she did on the Daily Show. I didn't know she had her own thing going.

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2016 10:12 PM

Jon supports terror, so he can go fuck himself. He just advanced the same propaganda and lies that O'Lielly and Faux News and MSNBC and CNN and all the other propaganda outlets deliver.

He supports Obama and drones and terrorism. Well, he IS a Jew, after all. Even though he changed him name to sound more goyim.

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2016 10:27 PM

I've stopped watching the show because of Noah Trevor. I like him, but not for this particular job. It's very important for these programs that are so critical of American foreign and domestic policy that the host be an American and speak with a recognizable American accent. I don't watch John Oliver for the same reason, although I do think he is funny and talented.

by Anonymousreply 53March 11, 2016 10:47 PM

I like trevor. In me head, he's the brother I never had.

by Anonymousreply 54March 11, 2016 10:55 PM

R52 is a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 55March 11, 2016 10:57 PM

What a strange comment, R53. I like Trevor Noah, though, like most people on here I don't think his obvious charm is enough to compensate for the lack of depth in his knowledge and experience with the American political scene. But that has nothing to do with accent. And to not watch John Oliver - who is an American citizen, btw - because of his accent is just plain stupid. Oliver has been doing this a lot longer and, with all due respect to John Stewart, he was already doing a much stronger job of this when Stewart was still on the air and clearly running on fumes.

Oh, and totally agree with all the praise for Samantha Bee. She's a GOD DAMN TREASURE. Though, I hope she gets a tad more comfortable and a little less manic during her in-studio sessions (as opposed to her more assured remotes and interviews). I'm sure she will with more time.

by Anonymousreply 56March 11, 2016 10:57 PM

Give the job to Andy Cohen. He's very talented and funny.

by Anonymousreply 57March 11, 2016 11:02 PM

Andy is not suited to be anything except a hood ornament, or a shill for Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 58March 11, 2016 11:10 PM

Please leave us out of this, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59March 11, 2016 11:14 PM

R53 is spot-on. I like trevor Noah, but I really don't think that any non-American should be in charge of a program that so often finds fault with the US. Samantha Bee would have been a much better fit. As far as the mugging, simpering Andy Cohen? Two words: puh-leeze! TDS needs an emcee who is bright, and the ass-kissing AC is anything but that.

by Anonymousreply 60March 11, 2016 11:20 PM

great point r53 because thats exactly what annoys me about the john oliver show. Perhaps the south african accent is more appeasing to the ear, or that I sort of self identify with noah.

by Anonymousreply 61March 11, 2016 11:30 PM

[quote]And to not watch John Oliver - who is an American citizen, btw

John Oliver is not an American citizen.

by Anonymousreply 62March 11, 2016 11:34 PM

Oliver is absolutely not an American citizen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 11, 2016 11:40 PM

John Oliver obtained US citizenship. He is married to an American, who he met covering a GOP convention a number of years ago.

Samantha Bee is Canadian. Lik Oliver, she and Jason Jones both obtained American citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 64March 12, 2016 12:04 AM

Sadly I agree. I can barely get through 10 minutes. Bad timing because we know how Jon Stewart would have handled all this election insanity.

PLEASE COME BACK JON!!

by Anonymousreply 65March 12, 2016 12:06 AM

I feel bad because I really wanted Trevor Noah to work out---but I just cannot warm up to him. Most of my problem is that he is South African and it is always in the back of my mind that someone from there is hardly in a position to make negative comments about any other country. And I just do not find him funny. At all.

by Anonymousreply 66March 12, 2016 1:22 AM

Not to offend anyone, but his accent drives me up a wall - it's so annoying. Plus he's lacking the charisma of Jon Stewart. I stopped watching the Daily Show once he took the reigns.

by Anonymousreply 67March 12, 2016 1:27 AM

He's also not hot like a Black guy, or pretty like a white one. He is a direct miss.

by Anonymousreply 68March 12, 2016 1:32 AM

Noah is much too goodlooking for a gig like this. It's inappropriate and distracting.

by Anonymousreply 69March 12, 2016 2:25 AM

I stopped watching The Daily Show weeks ago, it's awful. Jon retired a year too early, imagine how good the show would've been with so much happening during the Primaries.

by Anonymousreply 70March 12, 2016 2:36 AM

[quote]John Oliver obtained US citizenship.

No he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 71March 12, 2016 2:41 AM

I think Jon Stewart could've stopped Trump. It's too bad he left.

by Anonymousreply 72March 12, 2016 4:10 AM

I love Bill Maher. John Oliver's commentary on US politics is fucking spot on and genius. I enjoy an outside perspective. Thats the problem with America. We as a whole do not know shit outside of America. This limited American POV is crammed down our throats 24/7. Always black and white, left or right. Outsiders offer a more balanced perspective. Trevor Noah's stand up is worth the watch. I do not enjoy him on TDS, but it has nothing to do with his background. He just seems a little young and not quite ready for the job. I would be happy with another foreign person taking over.

by Anonymousreply 73March 12, 2016 4:27 AM

I LOVE Larry Wilmore's show. He can be hysterically funny, but the show has been very uneven as of late.

by Anonymousreply 74March 12, 2016 4:32 AM

Jon Stewart is the one who hand picked Trevor Noah to take over, so blame him if you don't like it

by Anonymousreply 75March 12, 2016 4:34 AM

R75, yeah, not quite. Stewart served as an adviser, but it was Comedy Central execs who made that decision, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 76March 12, 2016 4:51 AM

Stewart picked him, hon. He had final approval.

by Anonymousreply 77March 12, 2016 7:34 PM

R77 - I'm sure it's possible that he was being disingenuous or downplaying his role - but during his sorta "exit interview" with Terri Gross on NPR, Stewart said his role in that process was very minimal.

by Anonymousreply 78March 12, 2016 7:43 PM

I was glad Jon Stewart left TDS I was tired of his mugging and annoying voices that he thought were funny.

I had no idea someone so unqualified would be picked to take over. Noah was in no way ready for this show. I really think that Comedy Central thought they were being edgy by giving the 11pm-12MN slot to black guys. Which might have worked if Wyatt Cenac had been picked. He had more than two appearances on TDS.

But it's really telling that Samantha Bee was never considered and that Stewart picked unqualified, unfunny, unprepared Noah over someone with years of tried and true experience on TDS I think Stewart didn't want someone as good or better than him to follow him.

by Anonymousreply 79March 12, 2016 7:47 PM

How do we know that Samantha Bee was never considered? She must've - at some point - been on the shortlist. It sounds like they very quickly focused on Trevor, but I have to imagine such a seasoned, popular and skilled Daily Show correspondent as Bee (who would ALSO make news as the first woman to hold such a position) must have been considered at some point - even if only very briefly.

by Anonymousreply 80March 12, 2016 7:52 PM

From the NYT

But when TBS was preparing to make its offer to her, Mr. Stewart announced that he was leaving “The Daily Show,” raising the question of whether Ms. Bee, the longest-tenured correspondent at that program, would be named his successor.

Instead, after a weekslong inquiry (during which comedians like Amy Poehler, Chris Rock and Amy Schumer were also considered), Comedy Central offered the position to Trevor Noah, who at that point had appeared on “The Daily Show” only three times.

Ms. Bee, who left “The Daily Show” in April, said she accepted the TBS offer for the challenge of inventing something new

Of course, she said, she thought about being offered Mr. Stewart’s former seat. “It’s not like it wasn’t in my brain, but it didn’t stay there for long,” she said.

“I loved ‘The Daily Show,’” she added. “But it is a machine that’s already running. And it could run with me — it could run without me. This is a much better experience and a much better fit.”

Mr. (Jason) Jones was blunter. “The fact that she wasn’t approached was a little shocking, to say the least,” he said. “But I think she is much happier where she ended up.”

(A spokesman for Comedy Central said neither the network nor “The Daily Show” would comment for this article.)

-----

Since her show has debuted, Samantha has changed her slant to "I never wanted TDS host job." But it is well known that she was was never approached about hosting the show.

by Anonymousreply 81March 12, 2016 8:16 PM

immigrant, deport.

by Anonymousreply 82March 12, 2016 8:25 PM

The people who think that the host of TDS needs to speak with an American accent sound like poorly educated, simple-minded Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 83March 12, 2016 8:32 PM

He's very handsome, stylish, good looking with great build. Of course gays lust after him and decry hit because of jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 84March 12, 2016 9:25 PM

John Oliver is regularly featured in various UK print media, including The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph, so at least a section of the population is familiar with him. Of course a Brit who has achieved the level of success "Stateside" that Oliver has would be watched and written about back in England.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 13, 2016 3:23 AM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 86March 13, 2016 3:34 AM

Great post, R86. Are you the "who cares?" troll?

by Anonymousreply 87March 13, 2016 3:35 AM

It isn't really his accent, R83. I don't think he had even lived in the US when they offered him a job of doing cutting commentary on American politics. That is insane. If he had an accent but had lived her for 10-15 years, I don't think it would really be much of a problem and his commentary would be much, much better and funnier. It's hard to be funny with material you don't really understand (culturally).

by Anonymousreply 88March 13, 2016 3:38 AM

R88 - I think that's the point R83's making.

by Anonymousreply 89March 13, 2016 3:39 AM

Hatin' on the black man AGAIN?!

Racism, racism, RACISM!

by Anonymousreply 90March 13, 2016 3:53 AM

Not Funny ...NOT A FAN!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 91March 13, 2016 4:40 AM

He is beige in every sense of the word

by Anonymousreply 92March 13, 2016 4:42 AM

Trevor Noah is fine. I do think the writing could be improved a bit, especially considering all the comedy gold coming from the primaries. However, I think Colbert and Samantha Bee are funnier in their respective shows. Much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 93March 13, 2016 4:52 AM

his accent is annoying to say the least and he's just to juvenile acting-wide eye innocence and plain old not funny at all!

by Anonymousreply 94March 13, 2016 5:12 AM

Also, The Daily Show airs on Comedy Central UK.

by Anonymousreply 95March 13, 2016 5:23 AM

He's gay right? He is always making jokes about how hot he finds men.

by Anonymousreply 96March 13, 2016 1:56 PM

R93 - I thought they kept the same writing staff.

by Anonymousreply 97March 13, 2016 2:39 PM

Trevor weighs in on the recent shootings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 9, 2016 4:53 AM

I do still watch it nightly (along with Larry Wilmore who I find funnier); but that episode about the shootings this week was easily Noah's best.

by Anonymousreply 99July 9, 2016 5:21 AM

He has the Piers Morgan complex of not being an American, no American viewer would want to watch a show where the main host is a foreigner, it does not work.

by Anonymousreply 100July 9, 2016 6:11 AM

I want him to win so bad. Even I admit I haven't really given him a chance. I watched a couple episodes when he first premiered. The thing is I wasn't a big fan when Jon Stewart was on. Bill Maher has the best political show IMO; it helps that HBO allows he and the guests to be completely unfiltered. I wonder if they'd give Craig Kilborn another shot.

by Anonymousreply 101July 9, 2016 6:36 AM

I don't think that's entirely it, R100. Look at John Oliver (UK) or Samantha Bee (Canada). I think it's much more to do with his newness to American political and social life. When Oliver and Bee speak, they speak with some degree of authority which justifies and supports their outrage when speaking truth to (American) power. When Trevor does it, yes, he still seems like an outsider. He remains utterly charming. If only that were enough...

by Anonymousreply 102July 9, 2016 6:37 AM

r100, I tend to agree, though I thought his blackness would negate that. I think you may be right. He's charismatic and his standup special on netflix was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 103July 9, 2016 6:39 AM

I generally agree with their politics, but I find Oliver, Bee and Noah to be insufferable. It all feels lazy, predictable and so effing smug.

Too, with all the shows, I could do with a lot less this-sucks stuff and a lot less let's-mock-these-people stuff.

And by no coincidence whatsoever, the people I've met who like the shows too often come across as sanctimonious, condescending -- the sorts of people on the left side that make me embarrassed to be there.

by Anonymousreply 104July 9, 2016 6:48 AM

The masters of the true satire and call like it is was George Carlin, Paul Mooney, Reed Foxx and Richard Pryror. I miss them, comedians nowadays don't have guts not even Sarah Silverman. Chris Rock sold out to elite Hollywood. I extend my credit to Larry Wilmore for making those people uncomfortable at the White House Correspondents Dinner. If only they were around to talk about this election we would all be in comedy heaven.

by Anonymousreply 105July 9, 2016 6:52 AM

What does it mean that Chris rock sold out to elite hollywood. He's still very funny. Richard Pryor was in Superman 2. You can "sell out" and still be funny. The problem today is so many comedians aren't uniquely original especially the political ones. Today's political universe is SO EASY to poke fun but you have to have your point of view. The guys mentioned in r105 all were unique, and may I say it daring. Everybody is trying so fkin hard not to offend anyone.

by Anonymousreply 106July 9, 2016 6:59 AM

R101 --PUH-LEEZE, no more of the insufferable Craig Kilborn! Craig is now hawking Kias or donuts or something in ads on the mesothelioma channels, which is exactly where he belongs.

by Anonymousreply 107July 9, 2016 7:37 AM

Is this just a generational thing? I've never found George Carlin particularly funny. He might have made a smart observation that make me smirk and nod knowingly, but I can't think of a single stand-up routine of his (and I've seen a few) that made me genuinely laugh out loud. But, maybe I'm just too young (b. 1983)

by Anonymousreply 108July 9, 2016 12:15 PM

R105, it's not necessarily that they sold out. I mean I'm sure some have, but a lot of comedians have said they can't do their acts because college students/audiences are now hypersensitive and too pc. That's not my opinion, they've said it themselves.

I don't think a Bill Hicks could work today.

by Anonymousreply 109July 9, 2016 5:23 PM

He's a homophobic douchebag and idiot who understands zilch about America. What they need to do is get Brent Goff, the Deutsche Welle English speaking newscaster. Now that man has a head on his shoulder and does see American through both insider and outsider eyes.

by Anonymousreply 110July 9, 2016 5:33 PM

I refused to watch the second I heard it was yet another unknown, unlikable Brit/Aussue/Irishman/NewZealander/South African.

Same with Mr. Oliver and all the rest. They can be hysterically funny no doubt, but it blows my mind that networks go out of their fucking way to hire foreigners to talk shit to the American public on social/political issues. It's as if it were intentional. And college kids eat this shit up. We're getting the European view of the "average American opinion" from foreigners who have an agenda. Even if they're correct, this is a dangerous game and feels as though our society is being invaded from the inside out.

by Anonymousreply 111July 9, 2016 5:42 PM

Of course it's intentional. That's why they brought Andrew Sullivan here.

by Anonymousreply 112July 9, 2016 7:31 PM

"from foreigners who have an agenda. Even if they're correct, this is a dangerous game and feels as though our society is being invaded from the inside out."

How are things in Xenophobia?

by Anonymousreply 113July 9, 2016 7:35 PM

I agree with R66 on all counts.

by Anonymousreply 114July 9, 2016 8:01 PM

Why don't they just fire him?

by Anonymousreply 115July 9, 2016 8:05 PM

I don't like Trevor Noah ever since he fawned over Marion Cotillard, who was on Daily Show to promote the terrible mumblecore Macbeth she made with Fassbender. Noah clearly had a boner for Cotillard and basically seemed VERY pleased with his own pronunciation of her last name, and seemed hopeful that it was impressing her. But he clearly hadn't seen the movie and had no familiarity with the play, he kept telling her what "a beautiful story" Macbeth is, I think he was confusing it with Romeo and Juliet or something. She kept trying to say it is a beautifully constructed piece of work but he just kept dragging it back to the beauty of the story.

It became clear to me that he doesn't know shit but he knows how to pronounce French words.

I don't agree with people who get resentful of outsiders offering critiques of a super power like our country. But I do laugh when I see the Brits pull a move like Brexit, proving they're at least as stupid as our own homegrown stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 116July 9, 2016 8:17 PM

He sounds like an outsider reading whatever they writers came up with.

He doesn't have the right tone as the host to be funny when criticizing Americans. I'm sure this works well for some stupid College kids and SJW that buy into that whole "hate America to prove you're real left", but to sane viewers he comes off annoying.

by Anonymousreply 117July 9, 2016 8:27 PM

Whatever. I want Trevor inside me.

by Anonymousreply 118July 9, 2016 8:28 PM

:::that whole "hate America to prove you're real left",:::

I'm gonna PROVE I'm as un-PC and non-SJW as you by telling you that's a pretty retarded interpretation of their message.

by Anonymousreply 119July 9, 2016 8:45 PM

Sure, R119.

by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2016 8:46 PM

Jon Stewart = Goebbels. Propagandist in chief.

by Anonymousreply 121July 9, 2016 8:47 PM

There are very few funny comedians anymore. They're all so political - ala, Chris Rock (who is SO FUCKING TIRESOME). Now this guy, he's funny....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 9, 2016 8:53 PM

The only time I've found John Oliver funny was when he replace Jon Stewart. I guess because he had Jon's writers. Watched his show a couple of times and was bored stiff.

Noah's a failure. Larry Wilmore is better but Larry's gotta stop doing an all black show or he'll end up on BET.

by Anonymousreply 123July 9, 2016 10:57 PM

"Jon Stewart = Goebbels. Propagandist in chief. "

Wow, are you the poster child for projection. Fucking wow. How in the hell does your brain watch a clip of FOX blatantly lying and then using actual facts to call them out on those lies?

by Anonymousreply 124July 10, 2016 12:45 AM

R123, what do you find funny? Please tell us.

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2016 11:42 AM

Are we still thinking that he is a disaster?

by Anonymousreply 126March 1, 2017 10:45 AM

No, the reviews are better and the consensus is that he's found his voice.

by Anonymousreply 127March 1, 2017 1:34 PM

I still find him unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 128March 1, 2017 1:44 PM

Yes, but his voice is nice.

by Anonymousreply 129March 1, 2017 1:46 PM

Lol R129. Hes stamd up was pretty ok.

by Anonymousreply 130March 1, 2017 1:51 PM

His book is brilliant

by Anonymousreply 131March 1, 2017 1:53 PM

Trevor just spent $10 million on a new apartment. I hope he has an iron clad contract that lasts many more years with a full payout if they get rid of him early.

by Anonymousreply 132March 1, 2017 1:53 PM

In South Africa he's actually not considered 'black'

by Anonymousreply 133March 1, 2017 2:09 PM

He seems fake a lil tho maybe hes just nervous?!

by Anonymousreply 134March 1, 2017 2:13 PM

Sounds like the OP hates coloureds

by Anonymousreply 135March 1, 2017 2:14 PM

Suck my cunt, R129.

by Anonymousreply 136March 1, 2017 2:15 PM

He is very witty and cute

by Anonymousreply 137March 1, 2017 2:19 PM

He's probably got a big penis. Is he cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 138March 30, 2017 5:09 PM

He's a disaster but I think he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 139March 30, 2017 5:15 PM

All I want Trevor Noah to do is sit on my face and then split me in two his massive uncut cock.

by Anonymousreply 140March 30, 2017 5:21 PM

I find myself fast-forwarding or deleting. Never did that with Jon. :(

by Anonymousreply 141March 30, 2017 6:41 PM

I think he's doing fine. I am worried about Jon Stewart tho. I feel like he might have a shitty illness like ALS or something. I really hope I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 142March 30, 2017 8:39 PM

What makes you say that, R142? He seemed fine when he was on Colbert a few weeks back.

by Anonymousreply 143March 30, 2017 9:02 PM

I didn't see that one, R143, but his voice sounded like it had changed and was a bit weaker the last time I saw him. He also looked like he'd lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 144March 30, 2017 9:12 PM

I love Trevor . Maybe it's because I'm Trevor's age but I found Jon Stewart annoyingly condescending and fake outraged at times . For a long time I thought Jon was great until he left the desk and had John Oliver host for a while .

by Anonymousreply 145March 30, 2017 9:38 PM

What timing! They must have heard you, R142.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 30, 2017 9:42 PM

I never much cared for Jon Stewart--too snarky for me--and have never seen Trevor Noah, except in guest appearances on other shows. I am extremely skeptical, however, of the opinion of any writer on Salon. It used to be a good Web site, but now, none of its contributors think for themselves. All of them ferociously toe the PC party line.

by Anonymousreply 147March 30, 2017 9:45 PM

I watched him once and that was enough.

And please don't accuse me of being racist. My favorite comic is Dave Chapppelle and I have the entire Def Comedy Jam series on DVD. I even was one of the few who liked Larry Wilmore.

by Anonymousreply 148March 30, 2017 9:48 PM

Every week Samantha Bee's monologues are hilarious & never miss their target.

She should have been Stewart's successor.

I was very surprised when it wasn't her.

by Anonymousreply 149March 30, 2017 9:50 PM

The shift from Jon to Noah was so abrupt. It was weird that Noah suddenly came out of nowhere to be the anchor.

Comedy Central wanted a younger correspondent but they should have had a plan in place like NBC did with "The Tonight Show".

They should have been trying out young correspondents to see how they performed and how the audience reacted to them.

by Anonymousreply 150March 30, 2017 9:54 PM

I have no problem with him being South African and his accent. I have never seen his stand up act but his political commentary consists of, in large part, of mugging and shouting. That put me off almost immediately.

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2017 10:25 PM

Isn't most of the show scripted and aren't most of the writers holdovers form the Stewart stable?

by Anonymousreply 152March 30, 2017 11:30 PM

His standup is good and he writes his own jokes apparently,but he comes across fake and calculating to me. Maybe hes just nervous??

by Anonymousreply 153March 31, 2017 1:24 AM

Maybe it's a cultural thing but in interviews he comes across as pretentious and in love with the sound of his own voice. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 154March 31, 2017 1:26 AM

Don't like the accent.

by Anonymousreply 155March 31, 2017 1:39 AM

I'd love to fuck Trevor. He is so cute. Strip him like a rifle and bone him.

by Anonymousreply 156March 31, 2017 1:45 AM

He has been killing it since Trump got elected.

by Anonymousreply 157March 31, 2017 1:47 AM

I think he's found his stride and is doing fine. Larry Wilmore's show was not funny at all.

Agree, Trump helped him - as well as SNL. Except that it's a disaster for the country.

by Anonymousreply 158March 31, 2017 1:52 AM

His book sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 159March 31, 2017 1:57 AM

Larry Wilmore was great on Daily Show.. but his show was disastrously unfunny. Noah has improved enormously (or his writers have).

by Anonymousreply 160March 31, 2017 2:17 AM

Larry's show was too serious. It was more like something you would see on a Sunday morning.

by Anonymousreply 161March 31, 2017 2:24 AM

[quote]His book sounds interesting.

I just went through it over the holidays and his book is absolutely fantastic. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Makes me want to start watching TDS with him which I currently don't, just read the book because it was recommended to me.

by Anonymousreply 162January 4, 2018 4:41 PM

I liked him until he sent that right-wing nutcase Tomi Lahren roses.

by Anonymousreply 163January 4, 2018 4:45 PM

Does he look good shirtless? 'Cause I only read books by people that look good sans shirts

by Anonymousreply 164January 4, 2018 6:13 PM

He’s incredibly funny—maybe even more than Jon Stewart. Plus his ratings are fine.

by Anonymousreply 165January 4, 2018 6:19 PM

Looks pretty good, R164:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 4, 2018 6:19 PM

He started off badly but has improved steadily. He's very good in his monologues now. Though it seems like he can only book C list guests.

by Anonymousreply 167January 4, 2018 7:07 PM

He's mildly funny. I saw his standup show. Chris Rock kicked his ass. My niece LOVES him though so maybe he's perfect for millennials.

by Anonymousreply 168January 4, 2018 7:09 PM

He's painfully unfunny, smug, and smarmy. His presence makes my skin crawl. What did Stewart see in this talentless little shit?

by Anonymousreply 169September 16, 2018 7:01 PM

He reminds me of one of those self satisfied, "woke " straight males who are just as frat boyish and nasty as their right wing counterparts. Most importantly though, he is not funny or even in touch with American culture. Are they afraid to fire him or is he locked into a contract?

by Anonymousreply 170September 16, 2018 7:03 PM

I've never actually watched his show but the teasers CC puts our makes me think he doesn't understand what americans find funny, which would make sense since he's not from this country.

by Anonymousreply 171September 16, 2018 7:05 PM

I like him. He’s funny to me, and he’s really smart and clever. Good choice!

by Anonymousreply 172September 16, 2018 7:09 PM

R171 a big part of the problem is that he doesn't have a "lived " experience in the US that someone who grew up here has. Most of his ideas about the US come from movies and op eds. They just need to fire him.

by Anonymousreply 173September 16, 2018 7:22 PM

I love him! He’s witty and hells cute.

by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2018 7:24 PM

I saw him in concert and he was very clever.

by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2018 7:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!