Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I want to make an unconventional Thanksgiving dessert

I've somehow by default become the dessert guy at my family's Thanksgiving dinner. My family's from England so we've never been married to tradition when it comes to T'day. I've actually never made a pie from scratch in my life so I'd be nervous about trying one for the first time on Thanksgiving. I definitely wouldn't qualify to be on the Great British Baking Show. Any fun suggestions?

In recent years, I've had some well received desserts at Thanksgiving including...

White Chocolate Persimmon Bread Pudding;

Dark Chocolate and Spicy Maple Glazed Bacon Cupcakes;

Blackberry Crumble with Cream Sherry Infused Heavy Whipped Cream;

Pumpkin Spice Cake with Crystallized Ginger and Chile Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting;

Orange-Scented Bittersweet Chocolate Cake with Candied Tangelo Compote;

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2021 4:10 PM

Change traditional pie crust to graham cracker in the following recipe:

Patti LaBelle’s Sweet Potato Pie, from her 1999 cookbook “LaBelle Cuisine.

The “black bottom” of the title refers to the nifty technique of sprinkling a little of the brown sugar on the pie crust before partially baking it without the filling — or “bind,” adding flavor and keeping the crust from getting soggy. (I wasn’t immediately sure who the Norma of the recipe title is, but I suspected it was Norma Harris, LaBelle’s longtime hairdresser. How did the pie turn out? It’s pretty great, honestly: The crust is flaky and tender, and the filling is particularly creamy, not too sweet, and nicely spiced — pretty bold with the nutmeg." This makes a light-textured pie, not too sweet, a nice spice flavor, with a flaky, tender crust.

You’ll need a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. The pie crust dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Any leftover pureed sweet potatoes can be frozen for up to 6 months. The pie can be baked and refrigerated a day in advance. For the crust 1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for the work surface 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1/3 cup ice water 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar For the filling Salt 3 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (about 2 3/4 pounds), scrubbed 7 tablespoons (most of 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar 1/2 cup granulated sugar 2 large eggs, beaten 1/4 cup half-and-half 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg Continued

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2015 2:17 AM

Continued Directions For the crust: Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the shortening. Use a fork or a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few pea-size bits. Stirring with the fork, gradually add enough of the water until the mixture clumps together (you may need more or less water). Gather up the dough and press into a thick disk. If desired, wrap the dough in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days. Lightly flour a work surface. Place the chilled dough on it; roll out to a round that’s 13 inches across. Fold the dough in half. Transfer to the pie plate; gently unfold the dough to fit into it. Trim the dough as needed to leave a 1-inch overhang. (Bake or reserve the scraps for another use.) Fold the dough under itself so the edge of the fold is flush with the edge of the pan. Flute the dough around the edge of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you start the filling (and up to 1 hour). For the filling: Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a generous pinch of salt, then the sweet potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium; cook until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 30 to 45 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, letting them fall into a colander. Run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Discard the skins; transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl. Use a hand-held electric mixer to blend on medium speed until creamy and smooth. You’ll need 3 cups for the filling; scoop out the remainder and reserve for another use. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Uncover the pie shell; brush the interior with the melted butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bottom of the pie shell. Par-bake until the crust is set and just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. (If the pie shell puffs, do not prick it.) Let cool. Meanwhile, add the melted butter and brown sugar, the granulated sugar, eggs, half-and-half, cinnamon and nutmeg to the pureed sweet potatoes. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Pour into the par-baked pie shell, smoothing the surface. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake (middle rack) until a knife inserted in the center of the filling comes out clean yet the filling still jiggles a bit, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then cover loosely and refrigerate until ready to serve. Original Source: Adapted from “LaBelle Cuisine: Recipes to Sing About,” by Patti LaBelle (Clarkson Potter, 1999).racker in the following copycat Patti La Belle's Sweet Potato Pie Recipe:

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2015 2:18 AM

Mary, please.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2015 2:25 AM

That sounds exhausting!

How about Zabaione (there are different spelling of this)? It's a light whipped eggy frothy desert with a liquor (brandy?) that you spoon into individual red wine glasses or small, pretty bowls. It's festive and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2015 7:41 AM

Or a traditional fig pudding and hard sauce?

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2015 7:44 AM

Thanks, guys! After chatting with a few friends, I landed on an Irish Car Bomb Cake. Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting and topped with a Jameson infused Chocolate Ganache. I'm going to turn my whole family diabetic!

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2015 8:06 AM

Sounds delicious, OP!

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2015 8:08 AM

Just be careful with the car bomb - with all the terrorism going around now you may trigger some flashbacks...

Just kidding. I love car bomb cupcakes. And my folks are from London.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2015 9:14 AM

R8 - yeah, my fam's from the UK originally as well, so we're not stuck on any must-have Thanksgiving staples. I'm probably going to use Nigella's original recipe for the cake itself, but then turn to this recipe for the frosting and ganache. This blogger claims her buttercream frosting will hold up at room temperature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2015 9:36 AM

Thanks for the link, OP. That may be a new cupcake recipe I try.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2015 10:05 AM

I want to make Thanksgiving all about me.

There. Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2015 1:27 PM

Don’t be such a negative Nancy, r11. I find pumpkin pie to be so boring. I give OP props for mixing it up a little.

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2021 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!