Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fraus crying when JFK was shot

There on the grassy knoll, in the footage afterwards of the nation grieving. I think it's stupid and childlike to cry for a dead politician you never met. Were people, meaning adults, more childlike in the 1960s? Even Walter Kronkike teared up during his broadcast. Pussies, all of them. Christopher Hitchens is my favorite public figure and I was saddened when he died, but I didn't sob like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2020 2:42 AM

You definitely sound like someone whose favorite public figure would be Christopher Hitchens.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2015 1:49 PM

The sad thing is nowadays If Obama was killed--half the country would be celebrating.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2015 1:52 PM

OP this is an inane thought. Why would you even bother to post this?

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2015 1:52 PM

I was just a kid but remember it well. It was horribly shocking and disturbing. Use of term "Fraus" shows OP's depth.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2015 1:55 PM

I suppose an angry, pouty meltdown because some social networking site isn't functioning is okay, however? That's what happens today, all to often.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2015 2:00 PM

But the fact remains that probably none of the public mourners knew JFK personally and I contend it's unseemly to cry in public over a stranger. Maybe public crying is infectious like public vomiting.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2015 2:01 PM

[quote]The sad thing is nowadays If Obama was killed--half the country would be celebrating.

I was shocked when, upon arriving at a college that had people from all over the US and abroad, that half the US celebrated when JFK was killed.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2015 2:01 PM

It is shocking and dismaying to see someone killed.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2015 2:02 PM

If the Queen should die unexpectedly, there would plenty of Brits tearing up and crying in public.

I 10 yrs old when Kennedy was shot. I remember crying in bed over it.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2015 2:12 PM

You must be very young

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2015 2:14 PM

Att: beloved grammar trolls.

Is the first sentence in my post up above grammatically correct? Or should it be "If the Queen should die unexpectedly, there will plenty of Brits tearing up and crying in public."?

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2015 2:16 PM

OP is comparing the reaction of the death of JFK to a divisive pundit like Christopher Hitchens? JFK was the president, he was young, charasmatic, and he died as the result of an assassination. Hitchens was a nihilist who was burning the candle at both ends for years. That he died a age 62 of esophageal cancer was not all that surprising or tragic.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2015 2:18 PM

Hitchens was most certainly NOT a nihilist

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2015 2:22 PM

Correct r13. He rejected religious beliefs but not moral values.

In political theory, nihilism is carried to an even greater extreme, arguing for the destruction of all existing political and social institutions.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2015 2:29 PM

OP, you are a repulsive person.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2015 2:30 PM

why cry when you can pick your nose?

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2015 2:40 PM

The OP is still grieving over Jackie Kennedy in another thread. Now he's posing with some snarky thread about JFK. Next he'll start a thread about some actress who died years ago and how her acting technique touched his soul.

This thread has been brought to you by White Belt Man: the proud sponsor of irrelevancy.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2015 2:56 PM

R17 is our hall monitor.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2015 2:58 PM

If R17 remembers White Belt Man, he is part of the problem, not the solution.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2015 3:03 PM

R19 I don't remember white belt man but just saw him mentioned and described two days ago in the conservatives ruin everything thread. I thought the poster made up a new meme. Based on your comment, it must have been around 20 years.

Not everyone has been here for 20 years. I found this site through an Internet search for something two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2015 3:15 PM

Actually many people did cheer when JFK was murdered especially in the south. His approval rating had dropped and he was not the universally beloved president created in retrospect. A popular office party game in Texas was called "Which Kennedy do you hate the most? He barely stole the 1960 election.After the assassination a poll showed 80% of voters claimed to have voted for JFK. Martyrdom does wonders for a politicians poll numbers. That being said if you were not alive in 1963 you have no idea what a shock his death was to the country. I'm sure in 50 years some punk will be saying " What's the big deal about this 9 /11? Grief is generational. History does not weep.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2015 3:25 PM

[quote]In political theory, nihilism is carried to an even greater extreme, arguing for the destruction of all existing political and social institutions.

Sounds like Libertarianism to me.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2015 3:51 PM

For Karen Finley, Jackie O. is for outrage in 'The Jackie Look'

Karen Finley is an artistic first responder.

The high priestess of performance art arrives in the midst of cultural emergencies armed with monologues, paintings, books, music and memorials. In a career that's spanned the globe and nearly 40 years, few perceived social injustices, including reproductive rights and the marginalization of people with AIDS, have escaped Finley's figurative scalpel.

This weekend at the Broad museum in Los Angeles she addresses what she calls "the casualization" of violence in a sold-out, one-woman show, "The Jackie Look," which plays in conjunction with the opening of an exhibition of her new visual art at the Coagula Curatorial gallery in Chinatown.

"The Jackie Look" finds Finley embodying Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in order to examine how humans view and process trauma. She first performed the piece five years ago, but its relevance is continually updated with each fresh human tragedy that publicly unfolds in our increasingly connected world. The recent attacks in Paris, for example, will be addressed, Finley says.

"I'm using Jackie and her trauma as a replacement for all of our lives and how we view trauma," Finley says on a recent morning at the historic Millennium Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. Finley, who traveled to L.A. from New York, where she is a professor at Tisch School of the Arts, picked the hotel by design: It was a key location during the 1960 Democratic convention that led to the nomination of John F. Kennedy for president.

Sunday marks the 52nd anniversary of Kennedy's assassination, a fact that also played into Finley's selection of the piece for the premiere performance in the Broad's "The Tip of Her Tongue" series. Curated by UC Riverside English professor Jennifer Doyle, the series features feminist artists in performance, with additional programming continuing next year.

"There's something so incredibly vital about Karen's writing and performances," Doyle says. "The experiences behind her stories challenge our ideas about what a story is and can be. Her work is somewhere between poetry, a furious rant and a surreal dream. It's very experimental but also very accessible in the way that music can be."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2015 3:55 PM

Hitchens wasn't a nihilist. Don't use words you don't understand, R12.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2015 4:00 PM

Who the fuck is Christoper Hitchens?

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2015 4:27 PM

[quote]Who the fuck is Christoper Hitchens?

A person whom no one in his right mind would have cried for, unless his death had a negative economic impact.

OP prizes his sociopathy and wants us all to admire it as much as he does.

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2015 4:36 PM

Hitchens was an atheist. That's what most remember about him.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2015 4:44 PM

OP is a narcissist who cannot understand the concept of empathy.

What kind of person can feel absolutely nothing for anyone outside their immediate family, no compassion, no empathy, no sympathy? A Republican, obviously, but other than that, you have to be pretty emotionally detached from reality.

A guy known to millions of people was murdered in front of hundreds of people. He left behind a wife and two young children. He was young, handsome, charming, with a great sense of humor. The whole nation was familiar with his life story, the fact that he was a military hero, had overcome serious injuries, was in pain from back problems every day, he and his wife had a baby that died a few days after birth. His brother and a sister were killed in the war. Another sister was mentally disabled and in an institution. People thought he and his family had overcome a lot, they were personally courageous people.

They thought that like most vets, he'd had a hard time and was now enjoying his life. A lot of people thought all WWII combat vets had been through hell and deserved a happily ever after. Instead, he was shot in the head and died gruesomely in front of his pretty young wife. She was obviously devastated and her kids were too young to really understand what happened. In those days people sheltered their kids as much as they could.

People felt sorry for his wife and kids. They knew they must have been in shock from what happened, and the mother would have to somehow explain to her kids what happened and try to make sense of it for them, and raise them alone in a way that didn't allow this event to destroy them. They wondered how they would get through it if they were in her place.

This was a 9/11 type event. It was covered live on TV for days, with no commercials in the hours after the shooting. 93% of Americans watched the funeral on television. This was at a time when not every home had a television, and most only had one. The Secret Service thought it could be the beginning of an attempted government coup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2015 4:45 PM

Sorry, Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy died in a plane crash in 1948, not during the war. Her husband died in combat four months after their wedding in 1944.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2015 4:53 PM

Hitchens was a great thinker. Read his writings on Islam.

If only he and Oriana Fallaci were still alive to comment on current events...

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2015 4:55 PM

Hitches was an intelligent and thoughtful writer. OP is a thoughtless dick.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2015 4:58 PM

[quote]If only he and Oriana Fallaci were still alive to comment on current event

Both went Zionist after 9/11. And not in their usual measured ways, which would have been fine, but instead in sort of a nutty way, that was off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2015 5:06 PM

No. You're quite wrong. They both showed themselves to be realists, sensible...and prophetic.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2015 5:25 PM

OP takes the lotion and rubs it on its skin. It does this whenever it's told.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2015 6:08 PM

Hitchens was merely a me wanna be.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2015 6:18 PM

R9 Unexpectedly? She'll be 90 in April

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2015 6:19 PM

R35 is correct, Hitch called Vidal "maestro" and basically worshiped him. They had a falling out after Hitch took up with the Bushies and neo-cons. Gore wasn't having it.

Hitchens was brilliant and I've loved his work for decades. Unfortunately, he went a bit mad after 9/11. To be fair, he was always against Islamic extremism and extremists.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2015 6:31 PM

I would cry if Obama was killed. I would have celebrated if Bush had been assasinated. No one would have shed a tear for Bush, not one person...not even his mother.

When Reagan was shot, I was only sad that he lived...so no reason to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2015 6:38 PM

So Hitch was a revolting idiot? Glad he is dead.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2015 6:40 PM

I was possibly 12 when President Kennedy was shot, our household was sad, my family had voted for him. But that wasn't it...we were sad because it was a horrible crime and then the lies and our government has not stopped lying, since the day he was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2015 6:45 PM

Thanks for today's Thread From an Autistic Person, OP. It's always very educational to see inside the twisted mind of a damaged individual.

PS: no one was "more emotional" in the past. We just had less fucked-up, unfeeling assholes like you polluting the world.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2015 6:47 PM

Crying over an Adele album is all the rage these days. Crying over a young POTUS being assassinated is crazy, though?

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2015 6:54 PM

Don't worry OP, it is extremely unlikely anyone is going to shed any extraneous tears when you croak.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2015 9:32 PM

All the Catholic fraus were crying and they went to church to pray rosaries for dead JFK.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2015 9:51 PM

Hitch was not a revolting idiot, R39. He was actually brilliant and, until 9/11, absolutely reliable and right in his political opinions. He just went completely batshit in his reaction to 9/11 and there was nothing anyone could do. It cost him everything, even his job writing for The Nation, which he'd had for years.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2015 9:53 PM

OP, didn't you scream and faint when Diana died?

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2015 9:57 PM

Walter Kronkike?

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2015 12:21 AM

DL was throwing dirt on their heads and rending their garments when I kicked.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2015 12:25 AM

I turned 50 on the day JFK was assassinated and it was a hard day for me because I was turning 50 but when I saw Walter Cronkite deliver the news that Kennedy had died, my tears stopped and I was in shock.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2015 1:31 PM

r49 Best Wishes to our resident centenarian plus. Hope you post often.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2015 1:45 PM

fraus hit back, bye dl

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2015 2:02 PM

[quote]I turned 50 on the day JFK was assassinated and it was a hard day for me because I was turning 50

So youre a 102? Really?

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2015 6:45 PM

It was fucking hard day for me because I never got to 50.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2015 6:59 PM

It was the end of Camelot.

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2020 12:50 AM

Kennedy's approval rating at the time of his death was 58.2 percent (see link); he was cruising for reelection, even Nixon admitted that when Kennedy's enemies wanted him to run again in 1964.

There is a big difference between seeing your president's head explode right in front of you - bits of brain matter, skin, and blood spraying everywhere - and hearing the news of the death of journalist from afar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote]I was shocked when, upon arriving at a college that had people from all over the US and abroad, that half the US celebrated when JFK was killed.

Kirk Douglas attended a Hollywood party not long after the assassination, possibly even that weekend. He recounted that some people were pleased and mentioned Nancy Reagan commented nastily about Jackie Kennedy wearing that awful blood-stained suit. I couldn't find the story when I searched just now. However, I did find a photo of an ancient, doddering Kirk posed cheek to cheek with that same Nancy, so he either forgave or forgot. And he had really hated Reagan for screwing over actors when he was SAG president.

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2020 7:11 AM

OP types senility and monstrosity.

by Anonymousreply 57April 26, 2020 8:09 AM

And Bernie is still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 26, 2020 1:23 PM

So many young women voted for JKK because they thought he was good looking. Men would vote for a woman because they find her sexy. Harris sexy, the other one is not.

by Anonymousreply 59April 26, 2020 1:34 PM

I thinkINg may have cried a little but mainly, I was a kid who was shocked. For some reason, I did not think it could happen in America. I wish it could happen to day.

by Anonymousreply 60April 26, 2020 1:38 PM

I hate Zionist.

by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2020 1:48 PM

R49 , You're 107???

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2020 5:43 PM

R49 posted that in 2015. I kinda doubt he's around to be insulted.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2020 5:52 PM

OP has a cold heart. Yes, people were more innocent back then, but it was incredibly sad no matter how you sliced it. Even if you don't know somebody, you can still have empathy. You can still feel like you've lost something.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2020 1:15 AM

Kennedy was the first Catholic president, and for us, his murder was particularly upsetting.

OP probably thinks the photo of 3 year old JFK saluting his father's coffin as it passed by was staged, i.e. fake news.

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2020 1:29 AM

R56, Actually, the Reagans hosted that party, held the weekebd before JFK's funeral on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2020 1:58 AM

^weekend

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2020 1:58 AM

OP, JFK was murdered in front of thousands of people, including his wife, and he left behind very young children. You’re heartless if that doesn’t move you at all.

by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2020 2:01 AM

[quote]Christopher Hitchens is my favorite public figure and I was saddened when he died, but I didn't sob like a baby.

Who?

I vaguely remember the Dallas parade. Daddy was holding me up on his shoulders when the second shot hit. I was struck in the face by something and when they pulled me down to see why I was crying, they found a tiny piece of skull stuck to my cheek with brain matter.

I still have it in the safety deposit box.

by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2020 2:09 AM

I guess troll 5814 is the 2015 thread bumper. Dick.

by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2020 2:17 AM

R9 At this point, when The Queen dies, its not going to be unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 71June 30, 2020 2:36 AM

R7 [quote] I was shocked when, upon arriving at a college that had people from all over the US and abroad, that half the US celebrated when JFK was killed.

You couldn't be more wrong.

by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2020 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!