Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's time someone said this to the Jews

OMG. Chocolate Babka. OMG. Just had it for the first time. It's just. It's just....so...GOOD. I wanna convert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2020 10:37 PM

I'm Italian and I LOVE Jewish food. All of it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2015 10:53 AM

You don't have to be Jewish to love Jewish food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2015 11:01 AM

You can convert but they'll never really accept you as one of them.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2015 11:33 AM

R3 Fuck off! Convert OP, and Welcome!

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2015 11:39 AM

OP you sound like a fat Goy.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2015 11:52 AM

There's lots to enjoy about Jewish culture but the food ain't part of that.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2015 12:36 PM

Everyone knows the proto-Koreans invented most of the Jewish foods.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2015 12:53 PM

Chocolate babka, sure. We've also got Eliad Cohen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2015 12:57 PM

R6 Jews adapted the cuisines of the countries they lived in, adding Jewish elements to many of the dishes. Bagels are not specifically Polish, there are Eastern European and can be found from Romania all the way to Russia.

R8 Hon, to have a body like that, Eliad stays far away from the babka, the rugelach and the sufganiot.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2015 1:00 PM

I love jewish food.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2015 1:21 PM

[R9] Chag urim sameach!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2015 1:25 PM

"Jews adapted the cuisines of the countries they lived in, adding Jewish elements to many of the dishes."

>>> "the babka, the rugelach and the sufganiot."

What's odd is that here in England, these 'Jewish dishes' are unheard of.

I'd never heard of rugelach until I went to New York and I've never heard of those other two, ever.

I guess it's a bit like Spaghetti with meatballs. It seems to be an Italian AMERICAN concoction.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2015 1:29 PM

[quote]You don't have to be Jewish to love Jewish food.

But it wouldn't hoit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2015 1:30 PM

Since OP is a stupid fat whore for not posting a recipe ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2015 1:32 PM

R11 Gam lecha. First candle night 6 Dec. Get out the oil and start frying up those latkes and sufganiot!

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2015 1:38 PM

[quote]What's odd is that here in England, these 'Jewish dishes' are unheard of.

Sufganiot is donuts in Hebrew. They are traditionally made and eaten at Channukkah.

Babke and rugelach are both available in England at Jewish bakeries.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2015 1:41 PM

I love the chicken soup with matzoh balls, varenikes, farfaleh, chrein...

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2015 2:16 PM

[quote]Babke and rugelach are both available in England at Jewish bakeries.

Rugelah it seems they do.

Babke....never heard if it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2015 2:44 PM

BITD, Horn and Hardart used to make a sensational cinnamon/nut babka. It was baked in a Turk's head pan(that's what my mom called it) and was delightfully melting-ly doughy/brioche-y. I'm assuming from its shape it was supposed to represent a grandmother's full and voluminous skirts. Never had a chocolate one, but there's a Polish bakery here in Philly that specializes in it. May have to take a little ride over there, and pick up a few Stock's poundcake on the way. I'm a terrific baker, and have always wished I could make poundcake as good as they do.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2015 3:50 PM

I like all of their food.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2015 9:04 PM

[quote] "Jews adapted the cuisines of the countries they lived in, adding Jewish elements to many of the dishes." >>> "the babka, the rugelach and the sufganiot." What's odd is that here in England, these 'Jewish dishes' are unheard of.

Babka is an eastern European sweet bread/cake thing that is made at Easter. Sort of like a heavier, drier panettone. Find a Polish shop and these will have them, particularly at Easter. Sufganiot are just doughnuts and rugelach is a genuine Jewish pastry that looks a bit like a croissant. Pretty sure you will find these at a branch of Grodzinski or Carmelli in London.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2015 9:48 PM

Trader Joe's has a surprisingly tasty Chocolate Babka. I wonder who actually makes it for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2015 9:58 PM

I think the Trader Joe's babka is made by Green's bakery in Brooklyn. They taste very similar (and I've found that babka can vary widely among manufacturers).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2015 10:26 PM

New York's Babka Baron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2015 11:26 AM

But is it made with the blood of innocent Christian tots?

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2015 12:13 PM

[quote]Sufganiot are just doughnuts

Sufganiah (singular, Sufganiot, plural) is a plain, sweet donut, no filling, of Polish origin, eaten at Channukkah as part of the Channukkah tradition of eating food fried in oil in memory the Channukkah miracle. In Israel, sufganiot are filled with jelly, custard, halva, butterscotch, chocolate, etc.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2015 12:25 PM

People are much like the foods they eat. That's why Bernie Sanders will be elected president, at least in the hearts of his supporters.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2015 3:23 PM

Thank you also for smoked salmon, cream cheese, and poppy seed bagels.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2015 3:25 PM

I like rugelach, but I love Gefilte fish. I don't care how strange the name is and how much sugar is actually in it, I just love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2015 3:55 PM

This chick is fun and does a lot of modern twists on Jewish comfort food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2015 4:15 PM

I went to Sheepshead Bay to catch gefilte. All I got was Coney Island Whitefish. New Yorkers will know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2015 10:45 PM

I want a babka. The food is all I really miss about NYC.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 3:33 PM

I love chulent, which is a kind of Jewish chili, based on beans and usually shredded beef. They sometimes would serve it after services when there was a kiddish; they had something like a slow cooker going since you're not supposed to actually cook on Shabbos when you're really religious, so the chulent had been already made, but had been marinating overnight and tasted delicious. Some delis, like 2nd Avenue Deli, still sell their own chulent. Delicious.

I also love kreplach, which Bette Midler used to love to say with emphasis as a joke. They are basically beef dumplings, usually served in chicken soup. Also love beef flanken, yummy stewed beef. This Cuban-Chinese place on UWS used to serve something close to it -- I think it was carne guisada. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 3:44 PM

It's okay if someone serves it to me, but it's nothing I would ever ask for.

For me the food is too bland and colorless or white (excepting beets, FFS.), and has all of the appeal of Ethiopian food but less flavor. The foods I like that are much more cross-cultural, more generically Mediterranean foods than Jewish food, or there are better versions of couscous or bazargan or borekas from other places/cultures. For all that, carciofi alla giudìa is one of the best foods in the world, but, again, more Italian in my mind for being pretty specific to Rome.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 4:27 PM

STOP ENABLING THE IDIOT THREAD BUMPER.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 4:30 PM

There aren't too many things to do during the pandemic but eat, so why not?

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 4:32 PM

I love Jewish food from gefilte to bagels. But babka is underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2020 4:49 PM

I love knishes, too. Chopped liver and stuffed derma, as well, though I can understand those are more acquired tastes. Noodle pudding is nice as well. Plus a nice brisket of beef! Some nice charoses (mixture of nuts, wine and apples usually) served at Passover is great too.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 5:15 PM

Green's Babka is the best. It is available at my local authentic Brooklyn Bagel shop, Izzy's, and it is delicious at any time of the day or night. I prefer cinnamon, but it is best to get chocolate as well and alternate the taste sensations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2020 6:12 PM

Browns bakery in North Hollywood ( now closed) was featured in the seinfeld episode about choc. babka. They had the best Choc babka. it came in a round tin. My mother used to get a couple of them a week to serve with coffee to her friends. one of my favorite desserts, although probably too fattening. I was a skinny kid who could get away with eating anything and not gaining weight.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2020 6:50 PM

R22–sssshhh!

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2020 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!