Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Men Should Be Ashamed of Slut-Shaming

Looking creator Andrew Haigh caught some flak from the gay Internet a few months back when he responded to the scrutiny that many gay men had laid upon his show.

In an interview with Attitude magazine, he criticized many for “making a judgment on two seasons of a show after watching just five minutes, and [turning] it off because somebody was being jerked off in a wood and you didn’t like what that said about gay people.”

As a gay filmmaker, I can relate to Haigh’s frustration, and I would add that gay people are often as dismissive of other human beings in real life as they are of characters on television. Every group is guilty of this, but I think that gay people in particular should ask themselves why their desire to judge outweighs their capacity for empathy.

The second season of my series EastSiders centers around a couple experimenting with opening up their relationship sexually. The first episode actually begins the morning after a couple’s first threesome, as they navigate the awkwardness of making coffee while a stranger takes a shower in the other room. Another episode includes a montage of threesomes as the characters explore their sexuality (and encounter a cavalcade of weirdos in the process).

The show isn’t making an argument for or against promiscuity, but I knew that some would assume that it did, probably because they didn’t make it past the fun stuff to the episode in the STD clinic.

I was prepared for some backlash, given the irreverence with which the subject is approached, but I was surprised to find the majority of the vitriol coming from other gay men. I pulled the following gems from the comments on an Out magazine article about the show:

“Why the hell are you in an ‘open relationship’ to begin with if you're going to hook up with other guys? so trashy!”

“Sluttiness and having multiple sex partner beside your boyfriend, for me it’s disgusting.”

“If you publicly announce you have an open relationship then be prepared for comments. I think an open relationship is bullshit. Ditto bisexuality.”

“You are a slut.”

“Skank!"

Many of the commenters expressed concern about gay men being viewed as promiscuous. If these commenters desire to combat stereotypes, then I’d suggest they start by not contributing to the stereotype that gay men are catty, bitter, backbiting queens. We all share a common struggle, and I believe we have a responsibility to be kinder to each other than society has been to us. Yes, some people are promiscuous — that doesn’t mean their stories are any less worthy of being told.

As LGBTQ people who have been told since we were young that our sexuality is an abomination, I believe we have a duty to stand up against the morality police. Who are we to govern the sexual practices of others? Who are we performing for? Why do we need to criticize others to affirm our own decisions? Do we really want the same societal pressure placed upon our relationships that straight people have to contend with? Just because I’m engaged to my partner doesn’t mean that marriage is right for everybody. Some people might actually be happy being single — that doesn’t threaten me. Today, it seems as though any individual’s expression of sexual desire outside of the confines of marriage is seen as a threat to our hard-earned place in society.

We’ve all heard the counterargument. How are we supposed to convince everyone we deserve equal rights when Larry’s on Grindr every night and Sarah, Kim, and Suzy are raising a kid in a triad? Guess what? Larry is getting laid, and three women throupling isn’t any more of a threat to two men getting married than two men getting married is a threat to a straight couple tying the knot.

Sex is also nobody’s business except for the “sluts” in question. This kind of pearl-clutching recalls the respectability politics of Bill Cosby, and we know just how respectable he turned out to be. I’ve overheard an acquaintance at a bar trashing a friend of mine who occasionally performs in adult films, only to find out that they hooked up later that week!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2020 1:24 AM

(cont.)

I can certainly understand why promiscuity fell out of fashion in the wake of the AIDS crisis. At 16, I convinced myself that I had contracted HIV from kissing another guy. It’s not an uncommon story. When my mother found out I was gay later that year, she told me she was afraid I had HIV. I was a virgin.

Growing up in Mississippi, I hadn’t actually met another gay man I wanted to have sex with. And if I had, I would’ve definitely been too afraid to act on it. We’re finally at a place where we aren’t immediately equating sex with death, and I think that’s a wonderful thing. But the fear many of us felt growing up has left scars that have twisted into hatred — hatred of other gay men and hatred of ourselves. As a late bloomer, I certainly did my share of slut-shaming, and I think back on both my bitterness and naivety with deep regret.

Seeing upstanding, attractive gay people profess their love and devotion to one another on TV has certainly helped the movement for equal rights for same-sex couples. But the end goal, for me, is not equal rights for gay couples; it’s equal rights for all people. I want to live in a society predicated on mutual respect and civility, where no one feels ownership over anyone else’s sexuality.

I want to live in a society without slut-shaming, because I can see what it’s done to women. Society’s desire to police female bodies has resulted in employers limiting access to contraception, state lawmakers championing transvaginal ultrasounds, and Republican presidential candidates quibbling over who would make the most severe cuts to funding for the largest provider of women’s health services in the country. This attack on women’s reproductive rights is one of the reasons I chose to include an abortion storyline for Constance Wu’s character, Kathy, in the first season of EastSiders.

We are living in an incredible moment in history. We finally have the right to marry, and public opinion has shifted dramatically in our favor regarding other forms of discrimination. One need only look as far as the national ridicule of Kim “Eye of the Tiger” Davis to see how far we have come.

While there are some extremists who have rallied to her side, a few short years ago her refusal to do her job would have been reported in a drastically different manner, with her personal beliefs weighed equally with the civil liberties of LGBT citizens. But we have a responsibility to look past assimilation and continue to act as leaders toward a more loving, egalitarian society.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2015 6:35 PM

100 % agree

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2015 6:43 PM

"l think that gay people in particular should ask themselves why their desire to judge outweighs their capacity for empathy." Great question.

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2015 7:18 PM

Straight people are no better.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2015 7:29 PM

It happens on here a lot cuz the general population is old, bitter, sexless, and fat. So, they slut shame out of envy because they have to deal with their envy somehow.

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2015 7:30 PM

[quote] Every group is guilty of this, but I think that gay people in particular should ask themselves

Everyone is guilty of it but the writer wants to single out gays? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2015 7:30 PM

There are umpteen godzillians of bloggers who are criticising and protesting everything, every event, every person. Surely a few slut-shamed Looking. That has ZERO to do with it's demise. The show was boring and it's characters didn't interest the public. Not about sex. Not about lack of sex. Just SUCKED the big one.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2015 7:53 PM

R7 I could not have said it better .

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2015 7:59 PM

I wasn’t on DL when Looking was on. Every gay I knew in NYC loved it. Every gay on the Internet seemed to hate it.

It just reminded me of how a lot of the time the most vicious critic of gays is the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 2:46 PM

It must be exhausting to find something new everyday to be outraged about.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 2:58 PM

Looking was not a very interesting show. I’m fully supportive of cruising. I’m not supportive of artists looking to blame others when their art isn’t successful.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 3:05 PM

R11 IIRC it had a 0.0 Nielsen rating. They were lucky HBO gave them a reunion movie. And yet people still bitched about that.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 3:07 PM

Haters gonna hate.

The problem with humanity is that most people have been conditioned to care more about how, and who, to hate than to choose love and appreciation and, as a result, praise (what they like) on social media. It's always BREAKING NEWS! Someone doesn't like something! and that gets all the attention, because ... let's face it ... people are drawn to negativity, because it controls their lives.

Most people don't realize that the things that bother them the most about others are things they don't like about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 3:17 PM

Fucking 2015 thread bumper.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 3:19 PM

The Patrick/Richie romance really captured my heart. It was so satisfying to me that they wound up together ❤️

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 3:20 PM

Agreed, r15.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 3:40 PM

I don't believe in God, but working under the premise that God is real I have to say that if God didn't mean for living beings to have as much sex as they want he wouldn't have made it feel so damn good. Humans are the only sexual beings on earth that shame each other over fucking too much.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 3:50 PM

You lost me at “flak.” Ugly-looking word. Try “flaque.” Much more elegant.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2020 3:54 PM

Gay men should be ashamed of that cheesey photo collage.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2020 4:15 PM

Is it slut-shaming if I laugh at someone who acts like "life is a banquet", gets HIV and then becomes aggressivley pro-poz, disparaging anyone who refuses to sleep with them since getting HIV was never their fault????

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]R7 There are umpteen godzillians who are criticising and protesting everything, every event, every person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 4:35 PM

Most of the criticism came from triggered sjw and the T. I remember one of the biggest complains was that it was about gay men. Well, duh! It was a show about gay men.

The only criticism I agreed with was the lack of Asian actors. This show was filmed in fucking San Francisco. One of the leads should have been Asian.

Plus the fat guy ruined the show. I don't want to see his naked body.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 4:38 PM

^^^ yeah but he had a great cock, and besides some of us like bears and chubs

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 4:41 PM

[quote]if God didn't mean for living beings to have as much sex as they want he wouldn't have made it feel so damn good.

I would like to believe you're just as sanguine about obese people who eat way too much because God made everything taste so good.

But I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 4:43 PM

R22 wasn’t that Daniel franzese from mean girls? Or am I remembering things wrong?

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 4:45 PM

Um - I don't recall anyone having problems with the sex on the show. He's taking a handful of comments and making something out of nothing.

The show was alright - but I don't think slut-shaming had anything to do with the show.

And let's be clear - there is a huge gulf between being sexually open and being a sex addict. There is a small percentage of gay men whose entire self-worth seems to be derived from dating apps and how many people they can hook up with.

And many of us are rightly concerned about gay men (again, a very small minority) who go around being cum-dumps for multiple men many times a month because they are 'sex positive' and on prep and think that nothing can happen from it.

I don't believe that medals should be given out to people who have sex with hundreds of people without protection and often without knowing a single thing about their partner.

That's not being 'sex-positive' (hate that word) - that's being reckless, compulsive, and dangerous. But any criticism of that gets lumped into being Victorian prudes and being 'sex-negative'.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 4:49 PM

You know you really missed the mark when you're angrily blaming the audience for not liking your show.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 4:50 PM

Correct, R25.

I liked Looking but it doesn't have a great rewatchability factor, with the exception of that episode where they were raving in the woods. Maybe because they were all having fun (of course, the drugs having a lot to do with that) and not whining or moaning about something.

Plus, I found Jonathan Groff's character to be irritating.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 4:52 PM

[quote] I would like to believe you're just as sanguine about obese people who eat way too much because God made everything taste so good.

Food gluttony causes a whole range of health issues. Sex gluttony (if you play safe) does not.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 4:52 PM

2015 bump troll loves to dig up divisive threads that will get people bickering.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 4:53 PM

R29 - not necessarily. There are real potential issues with self-esteem, compulsive behavior and relationship issues.

Granted, t is on the mental health spectrum, but I would argue mental health issues can be equally or more damaging and debilitating than being overweight (although not morbidly obese).

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote] yeah but he had a great cock, and besides some of us like bears and chubs

STAHHHPP! Wiggling Rolls are not sexy and they'll never be sexy.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2020 5:07 PM

Shallow queens who say STAHHHPP are not sexy and will never be sexy. Maybe with a ball gag so we don’t have to hear you speak your dumb, small minded thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2020 5:25 PM

He seems fun.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2020 6:04 PM

I'm not slutty! I'm just popular...

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2020 6:11 PM

R35 - Yes, I'm sure you're veerrry 'popular'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2020 6:14 PM

Honey, the problem with your show was you had a 30 year old protagonist who had been in San Francisco since he was 18, had very slutty friends, and you wrote him as though he was a 15 year old virgin.

"What's a foreskin? What's douching?"

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote]"What's a foreskin? What's douching?"

That was exposition for the flyovers.

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2020 6:21 PM

R3's question has a ready answer. Gays show less empathy because they aren't shown any. Being sexual isn't a problem in itself. It's that others use sexuality and sex behavior to stigmatize and control others.

A lot of slut-shamers have a curious psychology. They see relationships and sex as an exchange for things other than sex, usually money or status. Everything has to (appear to) be above reproach, because their self image is easily damaged. They are more fearful of being judged than the average person.

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2020 6:25 PM

I have no problem with slutties. As long as they keep their slutting classy.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] A lot of sluts have a curious psychology. They see relationships and sex as an exchange for things other than sex, usually money or status.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2020 6:27 PM

Being sexually active is not limited to gay people.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2020 6:31 PM

Oh jeez, if someone calls you a slut and you're offended then it's you who is probably conflicted, otherwise you'd fucking own it.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2020 6:34 PM

R39 - huh?

So us calling Melania Trump a slut is wrong then. Calling anyone a slut is apparently off-limits.

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2020 6:35 PM

R38 I understand that but they needed a) a much younger character or b) work it into conversation more naturally. A 30 yr old who has been in a major city for 10 years with lots of gay friends should not be a babe in the woods. I spent the whole series waiting for him to be revealed as autistic.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2020 6:36 PM

If you are offended by someone calling you a slut, you just don't like being called out. The end.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2020 6:37 PM

I don't know if Melania is a slut or not. She may have had a lot of sex in her time, but that doesn't automatically make her a slut. If you lump every broad who's ever used sex to hook a rich man into marriage into the category of slut, well a huge number of perfectly respectable woman are big ol' sluts.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2020 6:40 PM

I remember hating the bearded Cuban twink in the first episode with the heat of 1,000 empanadas. Fans of the show also hated him, so the second season they had to retool the character a bit to make him less obnoxious.

Also, most people didn’t support the romance with Russel Tibet’s character. I think it was a little tone deaf for Patrick to go for the Aryan while putting aside the POC who loved him. But the Tovey plot line was cleaned up a little too neatly, Patrick finds Grindr on his phone and that’s it. It’s immediately over and he moves out?

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote] If you are offended by someone calling you a slut, you just don't like being called out.

As opposed to the people who enjoy being called out?

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] As opposed to the people who enjoy being called out?

As opposed to people who either enjoy it or don't give a shit if someone calls them that. The people who get mad the most at being called sluts are the ones who feel insecure about being slutty.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2020 8:04 PM

sluts O'FUn

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2020 8:06 PM

Why would you care about what anyone thinks of you?

“Ohh, you are such a slut” — so? Point being?

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote]I spent the whole series waiting for him to be revealed as autistic.

That would have explained so much. His manic behavior at the funeral and at the Halloween party was shocking. I could never rewatch those episodes.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2020 8:13 PM

Yes R26 you are all those things and more.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2020 8:42 PM

R6 - I think the point is not about singling out a particular minority but rather about how a minority group who has suffered so much "shaming" should not, in theor turn, be visiting it on another group. In the case of DL, women in particular are fat-shamed, age-shamed, slut-shamed, etc.

Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2020 9:50 PM

R10 - that is particularly true for Millenials today...how do they live?

Had a girl under me offended that a co-worker said she wanted to cut back on carbs because she was gaining weight and this young les started with "that is offensive to those heavier than you and could trigger a bulimic person..."

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2020 9:54 PM

[quote] "that is offensive to those heavier than you and could trigger a bulimic person..."

No pain, no gain.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2020 9:58 PM

Exactly R53. It would've explained so much of his awkwardness and naivete.

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2020 10:40 PM

R50 - maybe they just don't like being called names? Think about it. They calls us "homo" and some of us are out but still don't like the term.

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2020 10:55 PM

Who knew sluts were so touchy about being sluts?

by Anonymousreply 60June 6, 2020 1:22 AM

[quote] Who knew sluts were so touchy about being sluts?

It's the same as assholish men who hate being called "douchebag" or mean women being called "bitches".

by Anonymousreply 61June 6, 2020 1:24 AM

Sluts R Us

by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2020 1:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!