Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Susan Dey?

She starred in one of my favorites "Looker", stared vacantly off into space for "The Partridge Family", and had gorgeous hair on the "LA Law" program.

I miss her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2019 1:04 PM

She left LA Law to do some awful sitcom, which she left after a season. I think maybe she returned to LA Law, and then was basically never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2015 2:50 AM

She was in a movie called "Echo Park" with Tom Hulce that got very good reviews, IIRC. She bared her breasts in it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2015 2:52 AM

Yhey filmed her nekkid in "Looker". As a gayling, I was shocked.

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2015 2:53 AM

I thought most of the cast stared vacantly off into space in the Partridge Family. The two younger kids looked like 'tards.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2015 3:14 AM

[quote]She left LA Law to do some awful sitcom, which she left after a season.

"Love and War" with Jay Thomas. But she didn't quit -- she was fired by Diane English and replaced by Annie Potts.

This was one of those shows that was on for a few years, but no one remembers it any more.

At one of the Partridge Family reunion things, Shirley Jones or David Cassidy said that Susan left the business voluntarily and was living in West L.A. with her family -- and didn't have any interest in reunions.

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2015 4:14 AM

She was limited and could not do comedy. She was great as the humorless Grace Van Owen on LA Law.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2015 5:28 AM

She was stunning as a teen but was personality free in the Partidge Family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2015 5:37 AM

She had a tremendous overbite.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2015 11:39 AM

A beauty, she did nice work in MARY JANE HARPER CRIED LAST NIGHT and ECHO PARK. I hope she is well.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2015 11:48 AM

I heard Susan was teaching drama classes with Kristy McNichol.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2015 12:08 PM

WHET Diane English, that hack?

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2015 12:46 PM

I vaguely remember Love and War. Annie Potts is obviously a better comedic actress, but if I remember correctly the change made the already mediocre show worse. I think Potts' character did not really fit in with the premise of the show and Dey's character might have been a better balance with Thomas's character.

While normally I would have thought it was a bad move for Dey to leave LA Law -- they really did not know what to do with her character her last year or so and the show itself was circling around the drain. I think it only went a season or two after she left.

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2015 12:53 PM

Sweet Jesus, there are a lot of people on here for whom life stopped in the 1980s. The last role you mention ended a quarter-century ago; and the first role you mention started 41 years ago.

"What ever happened to?" What the fuck? A female actress whose career traded heavily on her looks worked for years and now mostly doesn't. She's in her sixties; people retire in their sixties, or get tired of doing what it takes to have "gorgeous hair" in the sixties.

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2015 12:53 PM

r13 = nutty Sally Kirkland

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2015 1:05 PM

R13 has tired thinning hair and her floors have yellow waxy buildup. I blame the heroin(e).

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2015 1:26 PM

She had fleas in her cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2015 1:59 PM

Diane English demanded another series to keep Murphy Brown on. CBS let her put this piece o' shit on, and then English said Day had no chemistry with Jay Thomas, who was basically a male version of Rhea Perlman. Why they thought the guy who killed Mork and Mindy was better than Susan Dey is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2015 2:19 PM

She did an interesting TV movie with Harry Hamlin called "Disappearance" about 15 years ago. Very Twilight Zone-ish. That's the last time I remember seeing her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2015 2:41 PM

I called her from my deathbed and she said, "Who are you?"

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2015 6:58 PM

I remember when Diane English blamed Dey for the lack of chemistry on "Love and War" -- so tacky and irresponsible! Didn't she hire her in the first place? And as I never understood the "appeal" of Thomas, I love the Rhea Perlman comparison!

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2015 4:17 AM

Who are you, R19?

by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2015 4:19 AM

Wasn't she an alcoholic and ended up getting fired from one or both shows in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2015 4:25 AM

Well I guess R13 told us. I just wish he would have told us the acceptable threads too.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2015 4:44 AM

Whatever happened to R13?

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2015 11:12 AM

She's part of some nonprofit rural development project in NY called the Mark Project (Google same - I needed to post her pic).

[quote] After spending 37 years in California Susan returned to her home state of NY to be closer to family and to once again live where her sensibilities were formed. Along with her career as an actress Susan worked on many awareness and fundraising campaigns for organizations that addressed children with special needs, affordable housing, food bank distribution, and other socioeconomic issues. Susan continues serving on the Executive Board of The Rape Foundation in Santa Monica, CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2015 11:33 AM

What happened ever to?

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2015 11:39 AM

And " Why are straight me so pron graxy non event toast?" R26.

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2015 11:51 AM

r20, I still remember Diane English accepting an award at the Golden Globes in the 90s. As a joke, she brought her dinner onstage with her and held up the chicken portion to make fun of how tough it was to eat. So tacky and the chef must have been humiliated.

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2015 11:56 AM

recently I saw Dey in an Airport ripoff movie on TCM

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2015 12:05 PM

She's 63 years old and her last credit was and episode of Third Watch 11 years ago. Let her live her third act in peace.

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2015 12:15 PM

She looks so sad in her R25 pic

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2015 1:14 PM

She was a woman who leveraged her beauty but once it started to fade she lost her leverage. She is not an actress with a lot of range.

None of this makes her a bad person needless to say. She had something marketable and then it went away.

by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2015 1:32 PM

In 1975, she starred in a TV movie called "Cage Without a Key"

The teenage girl riot stabbing at the end really freaked me out. It started by the girls running in what looked like an all girls gym class. One of the girls tripped another and there you have a full scale teenaged rampage. Hilarity brings about tragedy!

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2015 2:04 PM

It's on youtube r33

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2015 2:22 PM

Who the fuck would tune into anything with Jay Thomas? How did he keep getting work?

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2015 2:22 PM

He's Jewish, r35

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2015 4:35 PM

Looks good in pic at r25, aging naturally and still beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2015 4:53 PM

Hi HRT at r30!

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2015 6:00 PM

Sweet Jesus, there are a lot of people on here for whom life stopped in the 1980s. The last role you mention ended a quarter-century ago; and the first role you mention started 41 years ago. R13

Ally McBeal ended in 2002. That is 13 years ago. I don't understand your timeline, R13

by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2015 6:06 PM

I disagree that Susan stared into space during the Partridge Family. I recently watched the entire series this summer, as I hadn't seen the show since it was in syndication when I was a kid. Dey was a little stiff in the first few episodes (but not at all a disaster), but she very much held her own with the other leads throughout the four seasons. The problem was they didn't give her as much to do as they did Keith and Danny and Shirley (and even Ruben), so she didn't get a chance to stand out as much. But when called upon, Dey certainly did not embarrass herself. Chris and Tracy are another story.

by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2015 6:12 PM

R36 No, he isn't. Half-Italian and Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2015 6:19 PM

Holy shit, r33 - I forgot about that TV movie until now. That ending totally freaked me out too!

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2015 9:40 PM

[quote]Why they thought the guy who killed Mork and Mindy was better than Susan Dey is beyond me.

It's funny 'cause it's true

by Anonymousreply 43November 5, 2019 6:30 PM

She's fine, she sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2019 6:38 PM

A four year old thread, OK. I have no idea but Here's what I think. I think that she was raped/stalked/abused and or Weinsteined. One day she seemed like a MTM, whole life in front of me kind of gal and the next minute, she was sullen, withdrawn and super cautious about her choices and publicity. She's done a lot of charity work and is on the rape prevention board in Santa Monica. She was one of my only girl crushes when I was gayling.

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2019 6:56 PM

She got her ass canned.

by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2019 1:04 PM

She got her ass canned.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2019 1:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!