Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What movie did you just watch?

I just finished Mommy by Xavier Dolan. The first film I've seen from the wünderkid. Surprisingly touching, realistic to a point, thankfully didn't get too heavy. Got my eyes moist once which is an achievement. I appreciate Dolan a lot, he's mature yet has youthful passion. Big kiss for him.

3.75 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 27, 2018 5:25 PM

"Stealth" Spoiled Swiss gay boy and sister go to Poland.

by Anonymousreply 1October 28, 2015 4:05 AM

Dawson's 50-Load Weekend

by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2015 4:24 AM

I like Dolan's films, OP. You should watch the others too

To answer your question: Harold and Maude. It never gets old. I have elaborate fantasies of writing and directing an update.

by Anonymousreply 3October 28, 2015 4:31 AM

I just watched "The Damned Don't Cry" again. I have it on dvd. It's very entertaining as I remembered!

by Anonymousreply 4October 28, 2015 5:08 AM

Mon night saw a preview of "Our Brand Is Crises" with Sandra Bullock and Billy Bob Thorton. Much funnier than I expected, and I tend to avoid most comedies. Very good chemistry and interaction among the leads. Interesting that all are portrayed as very single, not looking to hook up at all, and child-free.

Surprising that the underlying theme of the movie appears to be that Global decision making is bad for small countries considering co-producer Clooney is buds with Soros and strongly backs the UN. However I sure hope no one from Bolivia sees this movie because I wouldn't be very pleased with how my countrymen were portrayed. " Will start a new thread on "Our Brand Is Crises" if there's any interest.

by Anonymousreply 5October 28, 2015 5:35 AM

MOMMY is Dolan's best film. I liked it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 6October 28, 2015 7:10 AM

I watched [italic]Pollyanna[/italic]. Cried like a baby at the end.

by Anonymousreply 7October 28, 2015 11:28 AM

Nikita by Luc Besson.

I've seen the film over 10 times over the years but this was the first time in a decade. It's obviously not fresh anymore but I still enjoy its coldness and odd charm. I absolutely loved the tv series La Femme Nikita which took the whole thing even further. I even sort of enjoyed the Bridget Fonda version. But still the original Nikita is gorgeous, a piece of art, and retains its place in my all time favorite films top 10. It is also the only film from Luc Besson that I really like.

4.25 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2015 3:14 AM

Gaslight for free on one of dem sites in 2 parts. Ingrid Bergman, even with those huge nostrils is captivating. Proof one not need perfect feautures. Having "IT" trumps the physical and aesthetically challenged. If you get to the Point where your eyes shine, exude genuine warmth, the world and universe will take care of you.

Forget it psychos, you ain't got it in ya. This is for the true good souls that roam the earth less than they should be.

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2015 4:12 AM

Mother Wore Tights (1947), typical 20th Century-Fox backstage musical with Betty Grable (allegedly her favorite film) and Dan Daily (I have to admit, he's the one gay star from the studio era that does not have any gay vibe about him at all).

by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2015 4:14 AM

I watched "Charlie Chan at the Opera" on Youtube. It's actually lots of fun, even with the Swede Warner Oland as Chan vs. Boris Karloff ...who allegedly did his own singing! Keye Luke! William Demarest! I'd never seen a Charlie Chan movie, and was curious.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2015 4:51 AM

Of Dolan's films, I like Tom at the Farm best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2015 5:01 AM

"Red Herring" because one of the writer/producers' is an acquaintance and director Ousa Khan won well-deserved awards in film competitions. Interesting twists to the action-based story line. Very good performances by several character actors contribute to fast pacing.

Some might find the wrestling scene hot. I found the few female roles rather superfluous and solely decorative, as if they barely belonged n the changing pairings of male actors. Was that intentional? Since I couldn't identify with any of the women I rather enjoyed the selection and variety of men presented. Over all they were far more compelling actors anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2015 9:19 AM

Terminator Genisys. Not perfect by any means but it was surprisingly fresh and vibrant. I liked the beginning and was all in until Emilia Clarke appeared. Jesus was that one of the worst miscasts ever. I did warm up to her a bit during the film but she's way too lightweight as an actress to fill the shoes of Linda Hamilton. It was like watching a teen soap version of Sarah Connor.

Arnold, Jai Courtney and Jason Clarke were all great. Arnold was really quite charming as an old Terminator and his love for Sarah Connor managed to bring out the only deepish emotional response from me. Jai is so fucking delicious that I just loved watching him. He's a great actor as well. Unfortunately Emilia Clarke managed to drag down everyone else's acting skills when they did scenes with her. It's like they were being nice to her and started mirroring her. A shame really.

The story is what it is but at least the production quality was top notch. Terminators 3 and 4 might've been technically better and have tighter stories than Genisys but Genisys feels more inventive and somehow more free in spirit. I must admit, though, that I'm not sure I want to return to Genisys. I like to watch Rise of the Machines and Salvation from time to time but quite honestly I can't see myself wanting to do that with Genisys.

3.25 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2015 1:41 AM

Mr. Holmes and while a bit slow paced, it was quite enjoyable. I adore Sir McKellan and his performance was stellar. The boy in the film was also well cast.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2015 1:53 AM

"This is the end" with Jay Baruchel and James Franco.

I have never laughed so hard.

The fact that the actors were playing a version of themselves made it even funnier.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2015 1:54 AM

"The Signal" with Aussie hottie Brenton Thwaites. Somebody please explain this movie to me.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2015 3:10 AM

Going through a Hammer Horror phase so I just watched "The Witchfinder General"

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2015 3:19 AM

The $5 Blu-ray version of teen movie "The Duff" was one of my many dvd purchases last Black Friday. Wtached it today and was pleasantly surprised that I liked it. Maybe because the main male lead was such an eye candy but it definitely was a fun movie and worth my precious time. I has hints of Jane Austen via Emma. It is the "Clueless" "Mean Girls" for the social media age.

Last night, I also watched "The Judge" starring Robert Downey and Rober Duval. It was very long (2 1/2 hrs) and tedious. It was pretty much a Downey / Duval acting comperition. I wished the supporting roles were more fleshed out. What waste of my $4 and the $55 million Warner Brothers spent to make it. I'm not surprised it was a huge box office flop in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2015 3:36 AM

Talwar, very good Indian drama based on the true story of parents convicted of murdering their teenage daughter and servant based completely on circumstantial evidence.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2015 3:47 AM

Mommy is his only good film.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2015 4:31 AM

Carol. It was intoxicating if somewhat banal.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2015 7:52 PM

I watched Guest on netflix stariing Dan stevens .

My rating : 3/5

Movie could have been better but Dan stevens was first rate. He smoked the TV screen with his hotness

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2015 7:55 PM

Watched Black Christmas ( the original version) it's out now on blu-ray but I believe it's free on youtube. It's a classic campy horror movie and I like to watch it during the festive season.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2015 8:32 PM

Just watched Summer Of '42 on TCM. Surprisingly good flick. Weirdly moving, gorgeous photography and the music is glorious. I'd forgotten that it was directed by the guy who did To Kill A Mockingbird. Very much of its era. No way in hell could you get away with that story now, I suppose. The boys are all aggressively trying to cop a feel and the girls are seemingly willing to be groped if they're given fifteen cent candy at the movie theatre. And of course the whole movie culminates in a grown woman having sex with a 15-year old boy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2015 8:42 PM

Watched Stranger by the Lake again and loved it even more the second time. Excellent film, made even better by the nudity of the two attractive leads.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2015 8:45 PM

R26 Stranger by lake still available on netflix?

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2015 9:00 PM

I watched Cop Car, The Stanford Prison Experiment and Ricki and the Flash this weekend.

Liked all three.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2015 9:09 PM

Taming of the Scoundrel, starring Italian pop sensation Adriano Celentano and Ornella Mutti. This was one of those stupid sex comedies that caused the downfall of the Italian cinema in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2015 9:57 PM

I like Dolan, but Mommy was a disappointment after reading all those ecstatic reviews. The two actresses were excellent, tho

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2015 10:10 PM

Mr. Holmes (worth it for Sir Ian and the production values), The Stanford Prison Experiment (should have been a five-part miniseries) and Kingsman: The Secret Service (there's a better, less silly movie in there somewhere; how Colin Firth kept a straight face remains a mystery -- great bespoke clothes, though!)

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2015 10:11 PM

Last film I watched was the 1939 version of The Four Feathers, which is just a spectacular movie and looks gorgeous in Technicolor, especially on Criterion's Blu-ray. I'm going to see if I can watch Polyester tonight on Netflix or Infinity. I must see it after reading the related thread.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2015 11:45 PM

A beautiful documentary called "Turned Towards the Sun", about Micky Burn, a British WWII Commando who just happens to have also been an intimate of The Mitford Sisters, acquainted with Hitler, a bisexual poet, and who had an affair with Audrey Hepburn's mother. It's great! I think it comes out on most VOD platforms soon. Check it out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2015 8:57 PM

With free HBO this last weekend, I finally saw "The Normal Heart". And " August - Osage County".

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2015 9:09 PM

It Follows. Modern horror, or I guess the film is more horror-ish than true horror. I really liked the first 40 minutes or so, and I thought the film was going to be another tight little modern horror piece à la Drag Me to Hell. Unfortunately the movie didn't manage to grow beyond its simple premise and it ended up being a bit of a lame attempt at horror. Really, a great shame. The beginning showed so much promise, and I really enjoyed the realistic gloomy atmosphere throughout the film. Cinematography was very beautiful and the actors were fine. The screenplay was the problem, and even though I liked the directing it could've been so much more.

Still, an enjoyable experience and I don't regret at all watching it.

3.0 / 5 (The first half was solid 4.0 / 5)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2015 9:56 PM

A movie called Timelapse on Netflix, it was sci fi but just with one actual sci fi touch (camera takes pics a day in the future) which I found I like better than one that depicts an entire futuristic society. Would give 3.5 outta five, good for a rainy Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2015 11:53 PM

Even though I'm from Québec, I hate Dolan. Can't stand him or his movies. I much prefer Denys Arcand and Denis Villeneuve if we're talking about Québec directors.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2015 11:58 PM

St. Elmo's Fire. I was a kid when it came out and even though I saw John Parr's music video countless times I never managed to catch the movie itself, until now. The screenplay is pretty much outrageous but I give credit to Joel Schumacher for making the film feel fluid and effortless. I wouldn't say the film's that great, though, partly because I'm pissed the possibly gay guy in the group ended up just being secretly and madly in love with a girl. Yawn. The openly gay guy with only a few minutes and lines in the movie was unsurprisingly a complete cliché although thankfully not written too homophobically.

Rob Lowe was so beautiful when he was young. In a tight face shot with Mare Winningham he looked more woman than Mare. Emilio Estevez had a gorgeous ass.

3.0 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2015 3:27 PM

No Man of Her Own. Not Stanwyck's best work but my favorite. I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2015 3:30 PM

Wild, with Reese Witherspoon. I've never been impressed by her and felt she shouldn't have got her Oscar for Walk the Line, but she was really good in this film.

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2015 3:38 PM

Does any of Xavier Dolan's movies feature his dong?

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2015 4:11 PM

The Man from UNCLE. Terrible movie. I have a crush on Armie Hammer. Henry Cavill had so much potential. He is so pretty. But he has no personality and he is unrelievedly dull. It bleeds into his "performances." To fully appreciate my disappointment I urge you to watch The Tudors on Net Flix. Henry had an amazing body and a fine glorious ass. But alas.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2015 4:55 PM

I watched The Skeleton Twins. My friend's son just gave me his vudu password and he has over 1300 films. A lot of them are not anything I would be interested in - horror, slasher, etc., but it is an eclectic mix ranging from the entire Saw series (which I have no interest in) to all of The Thin Man films.

I loved The Skeleton Twins. I think Bill Hader is adorable and loved him in this as well as in Trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2015 6:14 PM

Bill Hader is my secret guilty crush. I adore him.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2015 7:33 PM

Fifty Shades of Grey. Surprisingly enough I enjoyed the film quite a lot. I haven't read the books (nor do I want to) but I've read enough Nifty stories during the years to understand where it's all coming from. Meaning I didn't have too high expectations when going in.

Dakota Johnson did a fine job but it was really Jamie Dornan that sold the movie for me. He's a little stud muffin and even though I would've liked to see more muscles and some hair on his chest he's still hot as hell. His face reminds me of my old school mate in the junior high I fancied and thought way too many times while wanking. BTW, even though I don't think Dornan's really the greatest actor out there I must say he really was Christian Grey for me. I completely forgot his role in The Fall after the first few seconds on screen.

I can have a cold personality, especially with new people, and it has never ceased to amaze me how drawn some people are to it. It's like a death wish. I can be extremely cold and distant but some men and women find it irresistable. (I'm an Aries and in my case it seems the astrology does get it right.) When they sooner or later find out I'm really not a serial killer and do have a huge heart some people lose interest fairly quickly. I felt connection with Christian Grey because of this. I know I'm also a fucked up guy so there's that as well.

Obviously the film falls quite flat in the end. The S/M scenes in Christian's special room are pretty much terrible and the ending is very abrupt. I really wish they'd given the film a little hard edge with a prosthetic hardon. Showing a tip at some point would've made the film much sexier, plus few shots of boner inside pants. And I'm really talking about using a prosthetic since real boners would've been completely out of place here. Sam Taylor-Johnson did a great job as the director since the film's a slick little piece. The film has only 4.1 at IMDb which actually is a shame since it's way better than that but obviously it's the fans of the books who've done the voting.

3.5 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2015 7:52 AM

I think Dakota is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2015 11:06 AM

Beautiful Thing. It's a classic gay love story that takes you on a journey. It's a film you can watch over and over again. Not to mention Mama Cass music!

by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2015 11:35 AM

Foxcatcher. Beautifully filmed but rather unpleasant to watch.

When the film ended I felt like I would've liked to know more about the whole damn thing. I've seen comments that Steve Carrell and Channing Tatum both deserved an Oscar for their work here. Personally I felt like I was watching prosthetics more than high quality acting. Not that those guys did a bad job but still. Yes maybe Mark Schultz really walks like Tatum did in the movie but I was not sold on Tatum's version of it.

Carrell's du Pont was really unpleasant to watch and it didn't help that we got so little information about the guy. Wikipedia says he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Those guys many times have hallucinations so I actually wouldn't have minded it mentioned in the movie. On the other hand I completely understand that the director probably was after a certain kind of bare and almost dreamlike atmosphere without too much explaining. But I kept asking myself all the time what's really going on with du Pont. Was he on drugs, did he go to therapy, did people even know he was seriously mentally ill? Questions questions questions.

I've seen people saying du Pont was gay and in love with Mark. The movie sort of hinted at that but obviously Mark has denied it himself and du Pont is dead so I assume no one really knows. du Pont was so wacko and wooden in the movie that it was impossible to know what he was thinking.

Unfortunately the movie left me a bit disappointed even if in the end the movie is quite powerful. Yes cinematography was top notch but I just didn't enjoy the movie very much. In most movies you overlook certain weaknesses if you enjoy it otherwise. In this case I find the cinematography and the otherwise solid directing by Bennett Miller were not enough to cover for the problems in the screenplay and the way Tatum and Carrell acted or were directed to act. Or should I just point out Tatum since even though I hated seeing Carrell onscreen he probably did exactly what he was told to. BTW I completely understand if this movie is a 5 star movie for some people. You can see how much thought went into making it. I just personally didn't find it very appealing.

3.25 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 20, 2015 5:17 PM

I'm watching Meet Me In St Louis

by Anonymousreply 49December 20, 2015 5:20 PM

The Imitation Game. I liked it quite a lot even if I don't feel too passionate about it. I'm not a Cumberbatch fan but he was great. I remember all the talk about movie being too light on the gay matters but quite frankly I don't think that was really the case. It was made absolutely clear that Turing is gay. Keira Knightley's character has been criticized for being too important for him. Now, I'm not quite sure if that was historically correct or more of a storytelling device but it worked.

This is a mainstream movie meant partly to educate the masses. It showed how badly gays were treated at the time which is a good reminder for all the het homophobes out there: you cunts made one of the greatest minds in the history of mankind kill himself just because he was gay.

Now would I have wanted to see more of Turing's gay love life? Maybe, maybe not. Breaking the Enigma code was the most fascinating part about the film. I thought they handled Turing's (presumably) unhappy love life quite elegantly. I should point out that I don't really know anything about what really happened with Turing. When looking for a picture for this post I came upon a meme pic which read "Why the fuck did they give Alan Turing aspergers". That's certainly how he was written and portrayed in the movie. A bit sad if that wasn't the case in reality.

4.0 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2016 12:36 AM

Butt Munch 2: Back to the Crack

by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2016 12:40 AM

My DVR grabbed The Three Faces of Eve off of one of the mesothelioma channels. Enjoyed it, but it really put me in the mood to watch something more noir-ish.

by Anonymousreply 52January 4, 2016 12:44 AM

BROOKLYN -- beautifully filmed, nice story. But then, I've always been a bit of an Hibernophile.

by Anonymousreply 53January 4, 2016 1:09 AM

I watched The Martian with Matt Damon and I was bored.

by Anonymousreply 54January 4, 2016 1:11 AM

Jupiter Ascending. Visually gorgeous and with some rather interesting ideas but otherwise pretty much a mess. Redmayne was terrible, Kunis clumsy in the action scenes, Tatum Channing at times very likable but unfortunately his limits as an actor came out clear. I wish The Matrix era siblings were still here to make movies. Maybe they'd know how to edit and where to concentrate, and where not. No clue why they wanted to spend so much time on Kunis' unlikable Russian family. Their movies nowadays handle emotional aspects weirdly. It worked, at least to me, in Sens8 but in a tight action movie it feels sappy and false.

Still, I rather liked the first half of the movie. It just lost its way hugely at some point. The siblings know how to direct action scenes but they tend to do overdo them. They badly need someone to keep a tight rein on them.

2.75 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2016 4:08 PM

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. What a sweet movie. Made me think when I was 17 and met new people who changed my life.

Logan Lerman was a complete sweetheart and Ezra Miller delightfully camp. The story is maybe a bit on the tv movie side and felt a bit small and slightly messy. Still, a very likable movie.

3.75 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 9, 2016 11:44 PM

OP Nothing with that fuglyy queen in your post.

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2016 12:00 AM

One from my personal collection. I'd show it to you but then I'd have to...

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2016 12:03 AM

"Joe's Palace " an HBO/BBC combo production Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2016 12:17 AM

Sicario.

by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2016 12:23 AM

R21 I quite enjoyed Laurence Anyways and J'ai tué ma mère. I'm not a film buff/critic, but I found those two enjoyable at the least.

by Anonymousreply 61January 10, 2016 12:23 AM

I watched The Martian with Matt Damon, I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 62January 10, 2016 12:24 AM

Night Train to Terror...gory and weird.

by Anonymousreply 63January 10, 2016 12:42 AM

wünderkiNd, sweetie...

by Anonymousreply 64January 10, 2016 2:37 AM

Specter, the new James Bond movie, Fucking piece of shit. Horrible, don't even waste your time!

by Anonymousreply 65January 12, 2016 7:20 PM

The first half of PETER ALLEN: NOT THE BOY NEXT DOOR, the Australian biopic.

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2016 8:41 PM

In the Grayscale (Chilean married architect falls for free-spirited gay guy). It wasn't bad, but I felt like I'd seen it (and many other movies like it) before. I could have done without the vague ending. I don't mind if the filmmaker opts for the downer (or upper) resolution; just pick one. Nice sex scene, though.

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2016 9:00 PM

Irrational Man by Woody. It was better than i thought. It's one of those ethical thrillers Allen seems so obsessed with: it was not a masterpiece like crimes and misdemeanors, but IMHO it was better than Matchpoint or Cassandra's dream. Parker Posey was fun, Emma Stone and Phoenix were good, and the small liberal college where the movie is set was gorgeous. 3,5/5

by Anonymousreply 68January 12, 2016 9:25 PM

"Inside Out" Jesus Christ PIXAR could do a movie about a guy that stomps puppies for fun and critics would cream. HATED it.

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2016 10:43 PM

[italic]The Black Cauldron[/italic]. An ambitious but only partially successful adaptation of Lloyd Alexander's [italic]Chronicles of Prydain[/italic] series, this was supposed to be the film that put Disney animation back on the map. However, during the $25 million film's post-production, the company underwent a change of management that forced Ron Miller, Walt Disney's son-in-law, out of the company; then-new studio head Jeffrey Katzenberg cut 12 minutes of finished animation — he did not realize that if you want to cut scenes in animation, you cut before they are inked and painted — in order to tone down the scariest parts. That was also done to avoid any MPAA rating stronger than PG, but it made the film's narrative, taken from multiple books in Lloyd Alexander's series of which [italic]The Black Cauldron[/italic] is the second, difficult to follow, a factor in its gaining a reputation as a film maudit. Eagle-eyed Disney fans are sure to notice the similarities to what came before it: the dark, brooding visual style (and the curiously uncredited Technirama 70 format) owes much to [italic]Sleeping Beauty[/italic]—and Gurgi (John Byner) looks like the missing link between Pluto and Gepetto, while the end credits sequence looks like it was inspired by the opening credits of [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic], thus making them an homage to an homage. And Taran and Eilonwy Nevertheless, there are moments of brilliant animation tucked within it, and they're obviously trying harder than they were 10 years earlier. And while his motivation for wanting to raise the dead with a giant pot is a little muddy—though it makes it the closest Disney's ever come to making a zombie movie—the film's villain, the Horned King (John Hurt) is actually evil, not a bumbling buffoon, a mustache twirling song-and-dance man or a psychotic fop. Hopefully the uncut version will surface someday so we can see whether or not the film's sum parts will ever add up to a more satisfying whole. The last DVD release had an unfinished deleted scene with the Fair Folk that explained some of what was unclear in the movie, but who knows whether they ever finished it, and since traditional animation is a memory at that studio, that's probably all there is of that. The original theatrical trailer, suspiciously absent from said DVD but included on some of the original VHS versions of [italic]Pinocchio[/italic], had a snippet of said cut footage that actually was finished.

3/5

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2016 11:22 PM

[quote]And Taran and Eilonwy

look like older versions of Cavin and Calla from [italic]The Gummi Bears[/italic], which premiered that year on TV.

by Anonymousreply 71January 12, 2016 11:23 PM

Dear OP, there's no Ü in the word 'Wunderkind'.

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2016 11:29 PM

A Story Of Floating Weeds, a silent Japanese movie about an actor-manager, his former mistress and their son. Very moving and very pretty to look at.

by Anonymousreply 73January 12, 2016 11:32 PM

Tomorrowland. One of the biggest flops of 2015 (Hollywood Report: production and marketing: $330M, global gross: $208.4M, expected loss: $120M-$150M), and after seeing the film I'm not wondering why.

Even though the film has some nice ideas it's overall a mess and doesn't know what it's supposed to be. It's got loads of violence but at the same time it's clearly made for kids. It reminds me of other kid friendly films that ended up feeling off, like Toys and Hook. The sets are beautiful, whether real or 3D, but I can't say I was wowed by the cinematography. The biggest problem is the screenplay but something went wrong with the characters as well. I've never been a Clooney fan and quite frankly when the film opened with his face looking at me for two minutes doing a monologue the battle was already lost. I also had huge problems liking the female lead.

The film's not a complete mess but one can't stop wondering what went wrong. These kinds of failed mega productions are fascinating (which reminds me that I still haven't picked up that tell-all book of the production of The Bonfire of the Vanities). In the end if you enjoy the story enough you can love a good mess but personally this story failed to impress me in most ways. I didn't even think it made too much sense since the utopia the film was offering felt like a complete bore.

2.0 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2016 3:10 AM

Kingsman: The Secret Service. Loved it. Modern and funny spy movie, sort of James Bond meets The Avengers (not the Marvel kind). It's not a completely perfect movie and I'm not gonna deny all that male candy didn't have a huge part in keeping me entertained but still it's so well made and very chaming. Taron Egerton is sweet as hell, what a guy. Colin Firth was hot as hell, I mean really you could see he'd gotten his body in perfect shape. Mark Strong is always hot. The screenplay was nice, baddies were bad enough and the bullying cunts got their asses kicked. What more can you want? Vaughn knows how to put together a great sausage fest, and I love him for it.

Thankfully Kingsman 2 is in production and will come out in June 2017. **SPOILER** Everyone who's seen the movie is probably upset with CF but already before the film came out Vaughn said he'll try to bring CF back 'somehow' for the sequel. I sure hope so, his charm was big part of making the film shine. *** END SPOILER ***

Damn, what a fucking feel good movie. I'm still smiling half an hour the film ended. And when I was looking for a pic for this post let's just say I wasn't exactly surprised to see how much these two are shipped.

4.0 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2016 8:08 AM

Going Clear on demand from HBO Now. All of the former members seem damaged. Cults are just a little bit scary.

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2016 9:46 AM

4 Lunas (4 Moons), a gay film from Mexico, worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2016 9:50 AM

"The Revenant"

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2016 10:27 AM

The Godfather All of it. HBO. Seven hours.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2016 1:07 PM

I downloaded The Martian last week and watched it on Saturday. It was surprisingly good. But then again, I had no expectations.

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2016 1:18 PM

[quote]Foxcatcher. Beautifully filmed but rather unpleasant to watch.

It was insanely slow paced. I didn't get how Carrell got an Oscar nomination off that performance.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2016 1:31 PM

Just watched Creed a few days ago. Good film, I hope Stallone gets the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 82February 19, 2016 1:00 AM

I happen to have in my hands 'Intruders' with Clive Owen.

Should i give it a chance, or i should not be bothered...?

by Anonymousreply 83March 4, 2016 10:29 AM

Bridge of Spies. I thought it was fascinating. Didn't even know that happened, but it was a true story.

by Anonymousreply 84March 4, 2016 1:19 PM

R83 It's mediocre, if not outright terrible.

Tonight, I watched Suffragette and Irrational Man. Suffragette was limp with some decent acting. I liked Irrational Man more than expected. Not top tier Woody, but still good. Phoenix, Stone and Posey were all terrific.

by Anonymousreply 85March 5, 2016 3:42 AM

HellBent. Its a gay horror film. It was cute.

by Anonymousreply 86March 5, 2016 4:24 AM

R85, yes, i saw it and i agree with you. It was close to terrible.

by Anonymousreply 87March 5, 2016 12:41 PM

Io e Lei - Lesbian drama from Italy. With Margherita Buy and Sabrina Ferilli (La Grande Bellezza)

Mon Roi - Straight couple who should have never gotten together much less stayed together spend just over 2 hours showing you why. From France, starring Vincent Cassel, Emmanuelle Bercot, and Louis Garrel, directed by Maiwenn (Le Besco).

by Anonymousreply 88March 5, 2016 1:04 PM

'A Fork in the Road', with Josh Cooke, Jaime King and Silas Weir Mitchell.

How come and Josh Cooke isn't a big name, yet? He is gorgeous and cute and talented!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2016 1:07 PM

Palm Sunday. I watched Ben Hur. I love the gay subtext of that movie!

by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2016 1:34 PM

Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino and John Cazale. Hadn't watched it since I was a kid.

Great, great movie!!

by Anonymousreply 91March 21, 2016 2:01 PM

Free Fall (Freier Fall). Policeman whose girlfriend is just about to have their baby falls for a fellow cop.

One of the best gay dramas ever made. The film is somber and maybe a bit too low key for some tastes but it's got something few films achieve: a touch of something real. You know while watching that things like this are happening all the time. This is the second time I've watched the film. The first time was rather emotional for me since it becomes apparent fairly soon that our main character is heading for some tough choices. You feel dread but at the same time you know you're watching something beautiful happening.

Free Fall is not a perfect film but there's something special about it.

4.0 / 5.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 25, 2016 3:41 AM

10 Cloverfield Lane

by Anonymousreply 93March 25, 2016 3:50 AM

[quote]I didn't get how Carrell got an Oscar nomination off that performance.

Me neither.

N. Kidman

by Anonymousreply 94March 25, 2016 3:56 AM

Wow, R92, i want so much to see that. It seems very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 95April 1, 2016 8:49 PM

Star Wars the new one. so boring. zzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 96April 5, 2016 5:48 PM

R79, what did you think of the combined Godfather films? I'm a fan of both as separate entities, but edited together with some extra footage not contained in either of the originals, I found it just as enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 97April 5, 2016 6:28 PM

The original Frankenstein(1931). Still a powerful movie.

by Anonymousreply 98April 5, 2016 7:13 PM

Spy. Wow, what a great little action spoof. I've read reviews but I'm still surprised how nice it turned out to be. All leads were pretty much perfect, the script was surprising enough and the action was believable. Great combination of comedy and drama. I want more.

Surprise boners were a nice bonus. And for some bloody reason I'm always amazed how charming Jude Law ends up being.

4.0 / 5.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 8, 2016 2:38 AM

I saw last night 'For the Good of Others'. It's a Spanish movie, the original title is 'El mal ajeno'. I was vastly disappointed. However, watching Eduardo Noriega recompensed me for that. He is utterly charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 16, 2016 10:41 AM

Spectre. Gorgeous cinematography but pretty pictures are not enough. I've seen many people say the film's a bore and I totally get why. I don't mind slower films, I mean Wim Wenders' Paris Texas is one of my all time favorites. But there's really no denying that something was lacking in the story. I didn't feel what I was supposed to in the end. Skyfall really gave me the feels (or as much as a modern Bond film can) but this time the viewer is not emotionally involved enough. Mendes went too far in trying to make every scene grand by many times making them way too long.

Spectre is a bit like a spread in a fashion mag, absolutely beautiful to look at but there isn't necessarily too much behind the gloss. Still it's not a bad film.

3.25 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 25, 2016 11:56 PM

Mocking jay, part 2. It's only 15 minutes in, and I'm ignoring it, as it is moronic.

by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2016 12:24 AM

I just watched the last 'Mission Impossible' movie. It sucked donkey balls. Lame Cruise is too fucking old. And I'm not sure why, but seeing him with his shirt off creeps me out. Has the total opposite effect of making me hard. I also watched 'Krampus.' Not the best movie, but I love scary Christmas movies.

by Anonymousreply 103April 26, 2016 12:27 AM

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! on Hulu

by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2016 12:30 AM

Am considering watching "I Smile Back", the Sundance downer with Sarah Silverman. Anyone here seen it?

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2016 12:30 AM

[italic]Summer Hours[/italic]

I've seen it before but felt like watching it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2016 12:51 AM

"Il Bell'Antonio" (1960) with Marcello Mastroianni and Claudia Cardinale. I have been aware of this movie for a long time and thought it was supposed to be a sex farce about male impotence and playing with the idea of Mastroianni's stature as the Ultimate Latin Lover. It is actually a very dark satire about Italian masculinity and society. The Mastroianni character is treated very tragically and seriously.

by Anonymousreply 107April 26, 2016 1:54 AM

F.W. Murnau's Faust on TMC. Never saw it before. Creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2016 2:05 AM

"Hobson's Choice," directed by David Lean with Charles Laughton, Brenda de Banzie, and John Mills.

Damn but it was GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 109April 26, 2016 2:08 AM

R64 is right. But there's no umlaut in Wunderkind. If only there were a way to look these things up on the internet or something.

by Anonymousreply 110April 26, 2016 2:08 AM

'Submarino'. A Danish movie. I expected it to be better, because it received great critics, but it was a good movie, anyway and as you can see one of the protagonist, Jakob Cedergren, is really attractive (In real life, he is Swedish).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 28, 2016 10:51 AM

Pandora's Box on TCM last night. Everyone looked so extreme back then, it was fascinating to watch.

by Anonymousreply 112April 28, 2016 11:40 AM

DVRed Ingmar Bergman's From the Life of the Marionettes and watched it last night.

Not a great film, but weirdly watchable.

The fucked up guy in the lead (Robert Atzorn) was kind of sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 28, 2016 12:01 PM

Truman - Javier Camara, Ricardo Darin. Two old friends spend 4 days in Madrid with a dog.

Grandma - Good story, bad directing.

Monsieur Hire. Michel Blanc and Sandrine Bonnaire in one of Director Patrice Laconte's best films.

by Anonymousreply 114April 28, 2016 12:24 PM

99 Homes with Andrew Garfield. It's a surprisingly suspenseful movie with no fat to the storytelling, and Andrew Garfield is as wonderful as ever. He really convinces me he's the character rather than "Andrew Garfield, actor, in my latest role."

by Anonymousreply 115April 28, 2016 1:34 PM

Debbie Does Dallas

by Anonymousreply 116April 28, 2016 2:40 PM

If you liked that check out les amours imaginaires(Heartbeats)

by Anonymousreply 117April 28, 2016 3:05 PM

The Station Agent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 30, 2016 3:18 PM

12 Monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 119April 30, 2016 3:50 PM

Finally saw Spotlight. Really good and revealing. For an Oscar winner, it didn't seem to have much Buzz.

by Anonymousreply 120April 30, 2016 4:51 PM

This Island Earth. Fun sci-fi from the fifties. Rex Reason isn't really my type, but he had beautiful eyes. Faith Domergue is lovely. She didn't wear a bra in a few scenes.

by Anonymousreply 121April 30, 2016 6:38 PM

Team Foxcatcher. Not really a movie but a brand new Netflix documentary. I wrote about the film Foxcatcher earlier in this thread so I thought it'd be nice to compare these two.

The documentary goes a bit deeper into how John DuPont got into wrestling but since it leaves out some key elements it ends up being almost as frustrating as the movie, or actually even more so since a documentary is supposed to tell what really happened. I don't think I saw a single mention of Mark Shultz in the documentary, the guy Channing Tatum played in the film. It's weird as hell since Mark's brother Dave Shultz, the guy DuPont killed, is the main character besides DuPont. John DuPont's possible/probable gay inclinations with all the hanging around and wrestling with hot young guys was not said aloud, not even brought up as a possibility. And did I remember reading somewhere here that DuPont used to pick up young guys in his limo? Wikipedia says he was also once sued for sexual harassment by a male assistant coach. Not a single world about these in the documentary.

The documentary tells that in his will DuPont left a fortune to his Bulgarian wrestling protegé Valentin Yordanov (Wikipedia says he left him 80% of the estate). It was so weird seeing him in the documentary shown as one of DuPont's closest friends at the Foxcatcher Farm since I don't remember seeing him mentioned in the film at all.

There are so many unsaid things both in the documentary and in the film that I can only assume lawyers were busy during the production of both and just plainly made it impossible to mention certain things. I'm kind of disappointed with both quite frankly. I'd really like to know did DuPont have anything sexual going on with his wrestlers. If I remember correctly Mark Shultz was doing coke in the film with DuPont, in the documentary not a single mention of any of the wrestlers doing drugs with him. It's brought up many times that DuPont was delusional and mentally ill but it would've been nice to have maybe a psychiatrist come out and say that yes his symptoms sound a lot like paranoid schizophrenia or whatever else.

It's like both the film and the documentary enjoy keeping parts of the story a mystery. Unfortunately it makes it all so very frustrating since you're constantly feeling you're not seeing the whole picture. Team Foxcatcher is really a solid documentary but I'm annoyed how much it seems to leave out.

2.5 / 5.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 7, 2016 6:56 PM

The History Boys. Surprisingly touching. I would've loved to see the play the film's based on since you sort of feel while watching how well it all would've worked on stage. It warms my heart to see that the play was voted UK's favorite play a few years back.

I just finished the film and I feel like I might have a little cry. Some pieces of entertainment just have that little something that ends up touching you.

And yes, Dominic Cooper is at times sexy as fuck.

4.0 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 26, 2016 8:13 PM

Desperate Hours. Its phony but very entertaining. The 90s had some very good cheesy adult thrillers. The acting was always strong. Was this the last film that Mickey Rourke looked normal.

by Anonymousreply 124June 26, 2016 8:24 PM

I played Winter today. I turned my air conditioning way up, got out my blankets, some good junk food, and watched Dolores Claiborne.

by Anonymousreply 125June 26, 2016 9:23 PM

Spotlight on Netflix. Good movie and engrossing but I wouldn't consider it Best Movie. I thought The Imitation Game and Mad Max were far better movies.

by Anonymousreply 126June 26, 2016 9:52 PM

I don't watch movies anymore, there is just too much good tv out there.

I binge-watched the last season of Mad Men. Interesting ending.

by Anonymousreply 127June 26, 2016 10:17 PM

Last film I watched at home: Elena et les Hommes Last film at theater: Finding Dory

Dory was disappointing. More kiddie than the usual Pixar film.

by Anonymousreply 128June 26, 2016 10:23 PM

I saw last night "From Hell to Heaven", a 1933 Paramount Picture which was kind of "Grand Hotel" (down to Jack Oakie deadpanning MGM film's final line "Always the same. People come. People go...nothing ever happens.") only about a horse race. I know nothing about horse races so the dialog flew over me but Carole Lombard gleamed.

by Anonymousreply 129June 26, 2016 10:30 PM

Fantastic Four. I've been wanting to see this trainwreck ever since the rumors of trouble started appearing and now I finally did. It certainly wasn't worth the wait. The film has many flaws but the most glaring one is the script. Why oh why did Fox greenlight the messy screenplay in the first place? The plot is stupid and the dialogue horrible and full of cliches. If this was a tv show made for kids/teens it would be sort of alright, but since it's not things get sad.

I sort of liked the noted asshole Miles Teller at first but I ended up practically hating him, although to be fair it wasn't all his fault. It became obvious when the film went on that the actors were totally lost. I can only imagine what happened on set when Fox intervened and sent Simon Kinberg to practically replace Josh Trank and rewrite the script with the other producer. And to imagine that Trank was supposed to film one of the new Star Wars films. There have been some rumors that Trank's original cut made much more sense than the released one. I doubt we'll ever see it but you never know.

The effects were alright and I probably would've been ok with the actors in a better film as well. I've always liked Tim Story's FF films and haven't understood why they were always so hated, especially since most Marvel stuff isn't really any way better, but at least they are not the most hated FF films any more.

2 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 16, 2016 10:40 AM

I just watched Frat House Butt Fuckers. Fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 131July 16, 2016 11:07 AM

I saw that new movie with gosling and russell crowe. gawd. it was terrible. not funny

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2016 9:44 AM

Paint Your Wagon

It is a classic and I adore Lee Marvin. I put on my caftan, had a drinkie poo, popped some popcorn, snuggled with **** (ain't saying hehe) and had a wonderful last night.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2016 10:00 AM

Perfetti sconosciuti (Perfect Strangers), a surprisingly enjoyable ensemble piece about secrets, lies, interaction and mobile phones.

by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2016 10:34 AM

You have to watch it at least once before you die.

Featuring....

The stylish one!

The karate one!

The smart one!

The pretty one!

The dreamy one!

The musical one!

Don't forget about FATASS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2016 11:03 AM

SHELTER. An awesome love story. One that ends without the fag or dyke offing themselves because of some morose, self-hating Sister Christian writer or director's hangups. Sooo OVER the Tennessee Williams-esque, can't end well for the queers, over-the-top weepies. Any really good gay romcoms to recommend?

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2016 11:30 AM

R136, I LIKE DRAMA BABY.

by Anonymousreply 137July 17, 2016 12:12 PM

Life, Animated. Quite a lovely documentary about a young man with autism moving into his own place.

by Anonymousreply 138July 17, 2016 12:34 PM

The Ghost Writer. A gorgeous Hitchcockian thriller from Roman Polanski. One of the best films from him.

I've many times wondered why we never get gorgeous old school style noir thrillers they made up until the 70s. But we do since this is one. You just need a delightful and solid script that keeps you guessing, beautiful cinematography, moody score, and likable actors. And then obviously a director with vision and skill who's in on the joke. Polanski has tried stylized thrillers before with Frantic and Bitter Moon, which both were flawed in ways which made them seem a bit silly. Not the case here at all. I even enjoyed Kim Cattrall, she was straight from a 60s Hitchcock film.

I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed certain attraction between Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan. I guess that happens when you put two beautiful bisexuals in the same scenes.

4.5 / 5.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 17, 2016 12:43 PM

R136, there aren't many well-made gay romcoms. Shelter is absolutely one of the better ones if you can even call it a romcom. There are great gay dramas, like Maurice and Weekend, but they tend to be something more than just traditional romcoms. A Beautiful Thing is well-made but it's about teens, some people love Big Eden but I don't, The Broken Hearts Clubs is more of an ensemble film, The Trip tries to be way too much, Lilies is more art house (but beautiful), All Over the Guy is almost there but the casting could be better (I'm looking at you Bukatinsky), The Wedding Banquet is a bit bland, Boy Culture is not that well-made, My Beautiful Laundrette has the British grittiness that might be too much for some, Get Real is a gorgeous comedy about a gay teen but once again a bit more than your average light-hearted romcom, Trick some people love (I don't), Latter Days is a cult favorite but gets a bit heavy at times, Free Fall is beautiful but it's real and raw.

There are tons of cheaper than cheap looking gay films made in the past 15 years. It's great that gay films are being made but I wish many of those directors would've used their energy to create a great short film instead of making a terrible feature film.

by Anonymousreply 140July 17, 2016 1:17 PM

Black Mass. I had my doubts about the casting of Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger but he did a great job. I was impressed by how well Cumberbatch did a Boston accent. My only complaint is that there were a hell of a lot more deaths connected to Bulger that they didn't mention in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 141July 17, 2016 1:30 PM

The Devil and Miss Jones. The one with Jean Arthur. Awesome movie. God I love her. She was so popular during her hot streak it's sad that she seems somewhat forgotten now. Her performance in Shane was one of the best ever filmed. Actresses today should take a class in subtlety and watch her in Shane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 17, 2016 3:49 PM

[quote][R136], there aren't many well-made gay romcoms

What am I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2016 5:16 PM

The Invitation on Netflix. It was surprisingly good psychological thriller that kept my attention till the end. Lately nothing seems to tempt me when it comes to movies and I never get into those HBO series, so it was nice to find something to occupy and distract me for a while.

by Anonymousreply 144July 17, 2016 5:24 PM

I agree about new stuff R144. That's when I started getting into old movies. Anything from about 1930 to 1960.

by Anonymousreply 145July 17, 2016 5:25 PM

The 1989 Batman on Blu-ray. I haven't seen it in years. Nicholson is so much fun as the Joker. I really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 146July 17, 2016 8:40 PM

[quote] What am I, chopped liver? —Caspar Andreas

I actually haven't seen anything from him. IMDb scores say he's making the usual low quality gay dramas/comedies that I'd probably just end up hating. I saw few of those years ago when the cheapo gay films started appearing and promised myself to not waste any more of my time on those. Going Down in LA-LA Land might be a bit better, though, but I just watched a trailer and didn't really like it.

by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2016 3:54 AM

Sweet November Sandy Dennis and Anthony Newly... Bittersweet

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2016 3:57 AM

The Purge: Anarchy. Surprisingly enjoyable ride. Scary thing about the Purge films is that you could totally see them happening in real life. Makes you wonder what would you do during a purge. I've seen the original but I preferred this sequel way more. There's no denying that Frank Grillo is one sex fucker. I wrote in his thread that he comes off as a vain asshole in interviews but my God did I want to drop on my knees in front of him the second he appeared on screen. I'll take Zach Gilford as well.

And I'm not gonna lie: I shed a few tears in the end. They really managed to make the characters alive and for an indie budgeted horror/action feature that's quite a feat. (Budget $9M, global B.O. $111M, not bad Mr. DeMonaco, you've earned it.)

3.75 / 5.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2016 9:16 AM

Thanks R140 and R143. R140 we sorta' have the same taste. I watched most of the movies you mentioned, and basically shared the same opinions. GET REAL was for younger set, but then we were younger then too. All OVER THE GUY, MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE, A BEAUTIFUL THING, were interesting and watchable for a recently out newbie, like me, at that time, and starving for representation of gay guys like me in movies and pop-culture. BEDROOMS AND HALLWAYS, I found to have the light-hearted comedy part down, but I felt betrayed at the end when Kevin McKidd's character goes hetero. Really BBC? I'm appreciative of the efforts to make gay-themed flix, but they were SO depressing and humorless. BROKEN HEARTS CLUB was enjoyable. Despite the title it wasn't so maudlin and preachy. But, like you, I find the actors and casting can torpedo a valiant effort. Lousy acting skills, or just being unattractive (Bukatnski) can render a promising film DOA. Didn't help my perceptions much after viewing CELLULOID CLOSET, and my then newbie ass was schooled to Hollywood's stereotyping, and defining "gayness" as doomed, one sissy or closet case at a time. YUCK! BOYS IN THE BAND is my standard-bearer for the old "bait 'n switch" this is a comedy... NOT! Gotcha... (THE BREAKFAST CLUB) type B.S. If the actors can actually ACT, and look good while doing it is a win-win for me, who already has low expectations anyway. Jesse Archer, Casper Andreas, THANK YOU for your much appreciated offerings. Entertaining at the least, and not some tragic After School Special-ish preachy condescending mind fuck. Sometimes I just want to relax and giggle during a movie, AND lust over the actors. 2016, and movies that I'd personally like to watch are still too far and in-between. Thankful for more options these days, on-line and Netflix. But my favorite romantic movie SHELTER, as thoroughly as I love it, can't validly be called a romcom. NOT JUST ANOTHER GAY MOVIE is a guilty pleasure of mine. More please... Not seeking Oscar caliber, just well made/acted confections that make me feel better after watching. Am I asking too much? My bar is set kinda low. I just wanna look, laugh and lust. And not be sucker-punched by some leave-a-bad-taste sad or tragic shit bomb.

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2016 12:28 PM

A Star Is Born, the 1937 version. It's insane to think that it was filmed 80 years ago. The film feels surprisingly much like a 50s film, it's in color and just feels way more modern than what I'd picture a movie made in the 30s be like. I should totally catch up on older classics. The story was obviously a bit over the top and schmaltzy but I didn't really mind.

And apparently now Bradley Cooper is directing a new version with himself and Lady Gaga starring. I've probably seen the Judy Garland version as a kid but I've missed the Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand version. Can't say I feel any need to see the Gaga version either.

by Anonymousreply 151July 21, 2016 5:12 PM

Burnt. A pleasant enough experience. I was a waiter briefly when younger and even if our restaurant wasn't anything special our chef was a total lunatic. Many or even most chefs seem narcissistic and even sociopathic. As an artist and as a sunday baker I totally appreciate their craftsmanship, though. This probably added some depth since I enjoy these kinds of things.

Cooper was fine, like everyone else. Sienna Miller always gets shit thrown on her but I've never seen her fail as an actress and she did a great job here as well. For such a short appearance Emma Thompson brought in surprising amount of gravitas.

3.25 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 26, 2016 6:37 AM

Saw The Company Of Wolves for the first time and i don't know what the fuck happened.

by Anonymousreply 153August 26, 2016 7:01 AM

Sinister 2. It blew.. I'd like to blow and butt-fuck the intense little hottie from the film... John Ransone. Kinda creepy-hot Ransone is. He was my mention on the creepy-hot thread. About to watch MOMENTUM. Balls to the wall action. Adrenaline rush. If time allows.. 4th Man Out. Kind posters recommended it, because I sooo despise a depressive, tragic, gay-themed romance.

by Anonymousreply 154August 26, 2016 2:32 PM

Almodovar's latest Julieta. Didn't make it past 15 min.

by Anonymousreply 155August 26, 2016 2:37 PM

R154, you mean James Ransone. Are you aware he's one of the very few mainstream actors who's wanked (and cum) in a mainstream film?

by Anonymousreply 156August 26, 2016 2:41 PM

Oh thank you kind Sir R156. Brain fart on my part. I blame the kush. But yes, I did mean James Ransone. The movie sucked. James' little hot, intense ass, kept me from bumping Sinister 2. I'd gladly share some buds with a well informed bud like you R156. Thanks to you... Guess what I'll be watching next? :-)

by Anonymousreply 157August 26, 2016 2:51 PM

R151 I recently watched the Gaynor/March "A Star is Born" and I really enjoyed it. Did you notice that this was one of the Hollywood films Dorothy Parker worked on?

Regarding the color, I thought it was rather shocking- a lot of dark browns and greens. Somehow in my mind I always picture the B&W movies of the 1930s as being pastel colors, dark ruby red with lots of white in real life.

by Anonymousreply 158August 26, 2016 3:23 PM

Conjuring 2. ---wasnt scary to me and it was OK. nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 159September 2, 2016 1:36 AM

Actually I most recently watched a movie ... on YouTube, of all places. It's a found footage horror movie called "Rorschach" and was surprisingly well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 2, 2016 1:40 AM

Point Break (2015). O-M-F-G. Worse than I thought possible. This is straight to dvd material and yet it cost $105M before marketing.

It became apparent fast that the quality is not on a normal theater movie level. The screenplay was terrible and it's obvious the director knows only the basics of directing. He's a capable enough cinematographer (Daredevil, The Fast and the Furious) but he's no Jan De Bont. However there's no denying that especially the nature cinematography was gorgeous and some of the extreme sports scenes were amazingly filmed, especially the glider suite scene. To the director's credit I did many times wish I was there but that probably just underlines how the film works way better as an extreme sports documentary than as a drama/action film.

The actors weren't that great either but with this screenplay I'm not blaming them at all. Edgar Ramirez did actually manage to make his Bodhi believable enough. I even liked Luke Bracey as Johnny Utah although he was rather bland. I picked up some homoerotic vibes between Bodhi and Utah in the beginning but that was totally lost fairly soon. The screenplay was so all over the place that practically none on the character intentions made sense. Everything just felt dumb and so poorly put together.

I'd imagine some kids getting a big enough adrenaline rush to not care about the story but for the rest of us the screenplay is just too idiotic. Kathryn Bigelow's version is way better and even that was stupid in many ways. This remake was totally useless. They just managed to tarnish the original which with all its flaws is still a classic. BTW, I had no idea that Lee Tergesen played one of the guys in Bodhi's gang in the original.

1.75 / 5.0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 11, 2016 12:23 AM

Sunset Bouvelard...in a movie theater. It was divine!

by Anonymousreply 162September 11, 2016 1:36 AM

I just watched the second Hobbit and I fell in love with Luke Evans and I read up on him and found he was gay. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 163September 11, 2016 2:01 AM

Puzzle of a Downfall Child directed by Jerry Shatzberg, starring Faye Dunaway, Roy Schieder, and Viveca Lindfors.

Dunaway is mesmerizing as fashion model Lou Andreas Sand having a rather bad mental breakdown. Loved it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 11, 2016 3:51 AM

Independence Day: Resurgence. After yesterday's shock I needed to see something apocalyptic and dystopian, but nothing too heavy. This film worked perfectly. I hadn't seen it before so I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm surprised about the bad reviews and that is only at 5.4 on IMDb. I mean yeah, obviously it's not the most complex film out there but it was put together perfectly. The effects are awesome and even if the story isn't as powerful as the original's I still liked it a lot. If you take the film as a sequel it works extremely well.

And really, it's good to remind yourself that even if you think we got it bad we could have it so much worse. Films like this help you release anxiety although horror works the best for me.

One thing missing was flightsuit bulge from Liam Hemsworth. I really didn't want Will Smith in this film at all but his bulge was awesome in the original.

4 / 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 9, 2016 11:51 AM

The Invitation (2015). Psychological horror slow-burner. The ending is pretty great.

My biggest peeve with almost every single movie now is the LOUD FUCKING MUSIC! When did it become the norm for the music to be 5 times louder than the actor's voices? You can want to watch a movie quietly, but you really can't, because once the music plays, it's over the top LOUD, and it ruins a LOT of movies.

by Anonymousreply 166November 11, 2016 4:55 AM

R166, I think that's got a lot to do with your tv's audio setup. With headphones most things sound just fine but when using tv speakers or a fancier solution the music and sound effects may come off way too loud. I'm not into audio so I'm not an expert but I've personally noticed practically everything sounds fine with nice enough headphones.

by Anonymousreply 167November 11, 2016 6:19 AM

R167 Thanks for your reply, but sadly, it is also the same in the movie theatres.

by Anonymousreply 168November 12, 2016 12:49 AM

Cast Away. Too much Hollywood filler at the beginning and end. I'd forgotten what a camel face Helen Hunt has.

by Anonymousreply 169November 15, 2016 7:44 AM

Moonlight. I get why people have problems with the film but I went in knowing it's not really a [italic]gay[/italic] gay movie. I enjoyed it and in a way I could identify with Black quite a lot. I'm so glad this won the Oscar for the Best Movie over La La Land which I couldn't stand.

For whatever reason while watching Moonlight I got a terrible urge to see Shelter again soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170February 2, 2018 7:50 PM

A Room With a View.

It's probably been almost 30 years since I last saw the film. Last night I decided to watch it again and it was such a delightful experience. Pretty much everything was just right in this film: The acting, the decor, the direction, the costume design, the music, the writing.

Later I had a wank thinking about the vicar (the young and surprisingly sexy Simon Callow) getting it on with Rupert Graves, who'll always be Scudder for me. I found it just so hot to think how the lively and probably very horny vicar wouldn't be able to help himself when the young Mr. Honeychurch in the shower room after the game would comment how the vicar's penis was so much bigger than his, and could he touch it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 16, 2018 12:03 AM

"Certain Women". It was good, though a little slow-moving and uneventful for most people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 16, 2018 12:08 AM

À bout de souffle which I hadn't seen in 25 years. I am just a couple years younger than this film and it made me feel very old watching it, with a Paris and cinema that seems at least a century old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173February 16, 2018 12:13 AM

The Poseidon Adventure & the latest remake, Black Christmas & the latest remake, 2 Mules For Sister Sara (I usually avoid westerns) , Deliverance, Dog Day Afternoon, Justice League, Spider-Man Homecoming, Annie Hall, Sleeping With The Enemy & Fatal Attraction.

TPA from '72 (which I had seen about 30 years ago on tv) is the better movie.

I preferred the remake of Black Christmas over the original (sorry Lois Lane).

2 Mules shocked me with the twist which made it bearable/memorable.

Dog Day Afternoon was a great film who should of swept the Oscars that year over OFOTCN which I fell asleep on after the first half hour (sorry Joker).

I avoided AH,SWTE & FA for many years because of their "Lifetime movie" reps but enjoyed them anyway. I think all 3 hold up well to 2018 films.

The less said about the JL & SM:HC films the better (the Amazons had better scenes & no Spidey Sense?!?).

by Anonymousreply 174February 16, 2018 2:13 AM

My yearly showing of Dr. Strangelove, an alltime favorite. Unfortunately, this year, it seems eerily on the nose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 18, 2018 6:44 AM

Small Town Crime. Never heard of any of the actors, but was surprisingly well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 18, 2018 6:53 AM

The Lost City of Z - Saw it in the theaters, wanted to see it again. Lovely filmmaking, superb technical work and Sienna Miller should've been in the Supporting Actress conversation.

by Anonymousreply 177February 18, 2018 7:19 AM

Being Charlie. Nick Robinson is a warm, affecting actor. I was surprised. I expected Yet Another Teen Douchebag. I like his voice, too.

by Anonymousreply 178February 18, 2018 11:25 AM

R176 never heard of Octavia Spencer?

by Anonymousreply 179February 18, 2018 11:33 AM

3 billboards, I didn't think I would like it but I did.

by Anonymousreply 180February 18, 2018 3:31 PM

Logan. What an utter disappointment. Judging by the reviews that called it the best X-Men film ever made I was expecting something extraordinary. Instead the story is mediocre at best, the directing absolutely uninspiring and the action sequences almost on the level of a Steven Seagal Z-list film in their dullness. I kept waiting for the awesomeness to begin and at some point realized that no, this is all we get.

by Anonymousreply 181February 25, 2018 1:59 PM

Kiss of Death, it made a star of Richard Widmark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 25, 2018 3:41 PM

I'm watching Little Shop of Horrors.

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 183February 25, 2018 3:58 PM

Bedrooms & Hallways - gayish movie with Kevin McKidd and James Purefoy. Not recommended, but impossible to say why without spoiling it. Stupid story.

by Anonymousreply 184February 25, 2018 4:34 PM

Bridget Jones, 2 parts

by Anonymousreply 185February 25, 2018 4:37 PM

Hannah and Her Sisters.

A truly wondrous. movie.

I'm not giving up Woody Allen films for ANYBODY.

I don't care if he fisted Ronan Farrow after diddling Dylan in the attic. His writing is the greatest ever in the history of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 186February 25, 2018 5:49 PM

Without Warning a.k.a. It Came Without Warning. A cheesy sci-fi horror from 1980. I first saw it as a teen in the 80s and I remember being absolutely terrified. Today the film obviously seems rather lame but that wonderful 80s horror film feel is something horror films these days just can't achieve. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187February 27, 2018 2:55 PM

The Ritual on Netflix. Watched it twice. Really good and creepy. Four buddies go on a camping trip to Northern Sweden and encounter ancient nordic pagan god and it's "worshippers." 4.5/5

by Anonymousreply 188February 27, 2018 4:48 PM

The Perfect Host. David Hyde Pierce is outrageously wonderful as a delusional cop throwing a swanky dinner "party". Very suspenseful.

by Anonymousreply 189February 27, 2018 5:09 PM

"Alone In Berlin" starring Emma Thompson and Brendan Gleeson. It was sort of low-budget but interesting enough.

by Anonymousreply 190February 27, 2018 5:24 PM

Does porn count?

by Anonymousreply 191February 27, 2018 5:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!