Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pho

I have it for lunch a few times a week, but only in the fall and winter. I'm having my first bowl of the season and enjoying it immensely.

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2020 1:01 AM

I love it, But you have to get it at the right place, where they give you a huge stack of fresh herbs and goodies to put in it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2015 7:34 PM

I see these Pho places and don't know what the fuck they are.

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2015 8:03 PM

Love the restaurant in Vegas called " Phu King."

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2015 8:05 PM

How do you pronounce "pho"?

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2015 8:28 PM

R4, it's pronounced "pre-tent-ious."

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2015 8:30 PM

I would pronounce that "pruh-TEN-shuss," pretentious R5.

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2015 8:38 PM

"fu", R4.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2015 8:41 PM

it's always so lackluster

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2015 8:42 PM

So it is the Vietnamese version of ramen?

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2015 8:44 PM

There's a place near me where the pho is good, but not particularly authentic. I call it faux pho.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2015 8:44 PM

Thank you for sharing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2015 8:50 PM

Get a blog.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2015 9:00 PM

Jesus Christ. You must be some classless idiot in flyover land if you think Pho is pretentious R5. It is a bowl of soup. It is priced affordably and is very common at Vietnamese restaurants.

It's not like a Wagyu beef tartare or something.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2015 9:15 PM

It's super-good in chilly weather, or when you have a cold. Filling and light.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2015 9:31 PM

Poo. I drop it once or twice a day, all year round. I'm filling my first bowl of the day today and really enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2015 9:40 PM

Isn't Pho, just soup?

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2015 9:51 PM

Yes, R16. I cannot fathom why people rhapsodize over it as if it were the fucking second coming. It's just soup. Worse, it's soup with a ton of garbage in it. Not even GOOD soup.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2015 9:56 PM

I love pho...I always feel good after eating it, it's fast, and helping me lose wait.

I wish one would open called Pho Q. And if got really popular, they'd open another one called Pho Q 2.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2015 9:59 PM

I honestly don't get the appeal.

It's just a whole bunch of wet shit in a bowl:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2015 10:01 PM

Dear R4, As an authentic Vietnamese, I can tell you that it is pronounced like fur at the end of a question, like the fur in this sentence "Do you like fur?"

And Dear R16, PHO is not just soup, since just soup mean just hot water with meat and vegetable, while PHO is Chicken or Beef Noodle Soup. Honestly, You sounded super ignorant and not high class at all, I bet you drain all your spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2015 10:01 PM

Pho, pronounced "fuh" /fə/, rhymes with "the" or French "le".

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2015 10:02 PM

What does "just soup" mean? There are lots of amazing soups out there.

In Japanese food, I love a good tonkutsu ramen. In thai food I love Tom Yum and Tom Kha soup. A good mexican menudo soup can be fantastic.

Saying something is not good because it is "a soup" is stupid as hell.

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2015 10:05 PM

[quote] it's pronounced "pre-tent-ious."

R5 in the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2015 10:44 PM

love a hot Pho, delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2015 10:47 PM

yumm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2015 10:52 PM

It really does warm you up. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2015 11:00 PM

[quote] Isn't Pho, just soup?

Basically, but it's a very tasty soup!

The broth is what makes the pho. It's actually a pretty complex broth, and the flavors are developed over a long period of time.

It starts with vermicelli noodles, topped with the broth, onions, and parsley. Then you can have your choice of proteins (chicken, Vietnamese meatball, or raw beef) on top. Lastly, you add the standard vegetables (bean sprouts, basil, and another green that I'm unfamiliar with) and you top it off by squeezing a lime on top of the whole thing.

You can also add sriracha and plum sauce, if you want to add more flavor to it.

It's really one of my favorite soups.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2015 12:24 AM

I prefer Bun Bo Hue to regular pho. It's the Vietnamese version of beef stew.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2015 12:45 AM

R3...there was a line outside that restaurant, which was the Pho cue.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2015 12:50 AM

Good pho you.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2015 1:04 AM

I started making my own. I've discovered grated ginger and garlic add a zing to the broth. All civilized cultures have wonderful soups. Perfect fall/winter fare.

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2015 1:04 AM

Pho q all!

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2015 1:11 AM

It's way too much trouble to make your own pho. There's about a hundred ingredients involved to make REAL pho, and it takes a long time to get the right flavor.

What you're making probably tastes nothing like real pho, R31. It's way cheaper and easier just to go to a pho restaurant and buy a bowl.

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2015 1:14 AM

May the Phô be with you!!

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2015 1:37 AM

[quote]I wish one would open called Pho Q. And if got really popular, they'd open another one called Pho Q 2.

I heard of one called What the Pho?

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2015 1:48 AM

Here's an easy recipe to follow for homemade pho.

It's a short video, and the soup looks amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2015 2:03 AM

It's just gross ugly awful looking soup. Bleh. I can't understand the fascination. I can't get excited about soup at all, but the only decent soups are things like potato-leek, tomato-basil, and maybe chicken-noodle.

There's just too much SHIT in Pho.

And I'll pronounce it like it's spelled, thanks. "FOH". If you want it pronounced differently, spell it how you want it pronounced.

It's a stupid fucking name anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2015 2:08 AM

R37 a grease fire is calling your name.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2015 2:10 AM

I've made pho and it's true, it's really difficult to get it anywhere near the good restaurant quality. The crap ones use MSG and that's just cheating.

Bue bun hue is even more difficult to make. BBH and pho may seem like simple soups, but they take a very long time to make correctly. Making BBH from scratch involves many, many ingredients. I tried that too and decided it was best to leave it to the pros. I cook, but I cry uncle at the dishes that require loads of ingredients and steps.

I tend to be more circumspect about ordering BBH as one ingredient is congealed pork blood. I will only order from a place where BBH is the specialty and/or the restaurant has a high turnover rate. You don't want to order from a place where the pork blood has been sitting around for awhile. I had some bad pork blood once (in a Chinese dish, not BBH) and then went to a national park. Thank god the park had clean bathroom facilities near the parking lot....

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2015 2:14 AM

Sorry, bue bun hue should be bun bo hue (BBH).

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2015 2:16 AM

[quote]the only decent soups are things like potato-leek, tomato-basil, and maybe chicken-noodle.

You have to be trolling.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2015 2:16 AM

Fish sauce and freshly squeezed lime kick pho up several notches.

by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2015 4:02 AM

R37 is pure trash. The only good soup is tomato and chicken noodle? Dear lord bitch, there is a whole world out there other than the Campbell's section at Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2015 4:11 AM

Dear R28, Vietnamese version of Beef Stew would actually be Bo Kho, as it is the literal translation of Beef Stew from English. It also has a complex broth with many flavors and you should try it as you might like it. It can be served with bread or be eaten with egg noodle.

Now Bun Bo Hue is most accurately translated to be Hue-style Beef Noodle Soup, its more descriptive translation would be Hue style spicy lemongrass beef noodle soup.

Dear R39, the trick to making Bun Bo Hue at home would be to add an ass load of lemongrass into your broth. And Please do not feel so much anguish about cooking these foods at home from scratch and it does not taste authentic. I have worked at those restaurant and they pretty much just buy the soup base from the Asian Market and throw it into the hot water. Making it from scratch? Ain't nobody got time for that.

by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2015 4:11 AM

It's OK I guess. Not amazing and not horrible.

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2015 4:16 AM

I infuse the broth with, fennel seeds, anisette, coriander, cardamom and cloves.

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2015 12:00 PM

[quote]And I'll pronounce it like it's spelled, thanks. "FOH". If you want it pronounced differently, spell it how you want it pronounced.

Well, it's actually "phở," so you're pronouncing it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2015 12:25 PM

R37 Puts the ugly in ugly American. Willfully ignorant trash.

by Anonymousreply 48October 27, 2015 1:44 PM

No, Pho is just over-rated soup. Get over it, and get over yourself. Smacking you with some reality here.

by Anonymousreply 49October 27, 2015 1:45 PM

I Pity the Phô!!

by Anonymousreply 50October 27, 2015 1:47 PM

Like i'm going to eat something pronounced like the first half of the word "FUCK". Sounds retarded. Looks disgusting. And SOUNDS disgusting if it tastes like fennel and anise (gross).

by Anonymousreply 51October 27, 2015 1:50 PM

you're an asshole

by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2015 1:58 PM

There's a lot of good pho places in my neighborhood in South Philadelphia. Pho 75 is my favorite since Pho Ta closed. For less than $6 you get a very good, filling meal.

by Anonymousreply 53October 27, 2015 3:01 PM

[quote]I infuse the broth with, fennel seeds, anisette, coriander, cardamom and cloves.

You should not be allowed to cook.

by Anonymousreply 54October 27, 2015 3:09 PM

[quote]I infuse the broth with, fennel seeds, anisette, coriander, cardamom and cloves.

Are you sure you don't mean anise seeds? Anisette is a liqueur.

by Anonymousreply 55October 27, 2015 5:00 PM

This thread inspired me to try a new Pho restaurant for lunch. It was really good, but not as good as the one I tried on Buford Highway in Atlanta's Asia.

by Anonymousreply 56October 27, 2015 5:29 PM

There is an astonding amount of idiots in this thread.

Pho is really delicious but the key is the base broth, wich contains many herbs and spices. My favorite is the version that contains raw beef (paper thin slices), beef meatballs, pork blood cakes (think tofu made of blood), tripe, tendons and some flank. with heaps of sprouts, basil, mint and chili on the side.

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2015 9:23 PM

R57 People who can't spell simple words like "which" and "astounding" correctly have no business calling others "idiots."

by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2015 2:41 AM

r57, I'm sure that tastes amazing, but the description, "think tofu made of blood," followed by "tripe" and "tendon" doesn't make it sound especially drool-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2015 5:51 AM

This thread is worthless without pics objectifying smooth Vietnamese twink ass!

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2015 5:06 AM

How is this soup eaten : with chopsticks, with a spoon, or out of a G.I.'s helmet while squatting on the floor?

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2015 5:18 AM

R59 Sorry It is a bit gruesome to some Americans. I am Asian myself so I am used to that sort of stuff LOL. I love offal and other non traditional protein.

R61 Spoon and chopsticks. Vietnam flashbacks optional.

by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2015 5:22 AM

R57 that sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2020 3:42 PM

I love Vietnamese cuisine. I want to travel to Vietnam, perhaps take a train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, and focus on the food. Have any DLers done this? Tell me!

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2020 3:45 PM

Like "duh" but with an f instead of d. Or like the french word for fire.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2020 3:52 PM

OP types fat and bald and soon kidney failure.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 3:58 PM

We have some great Vietnamese restaurants in the Twin Cities that serve delicious phở. The best ones simmer the broth for hours using several cuts of beef, charred onion, charred ginger, lots of spices, a block of sugar and other stuff.

It is served with rice noodles and your choice of beef, frequently several types. The flavorful broth is poured over.

Usually you get a plate of add-ons including Thai Basil, Cilantro, bean sprouts, jalapeno peppers and lime wedges. Sometimes Cilantro.

On the table are condiments including Fish sauce, hoisin sauce, chili oil and hot chili sauce to be added as desired.

It is delicious and so much more than plain soup.

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2020 4:30 PM

my very favorite food when it is chilly

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2020 4:31 PM

OK It's noodle soup. So is it pasta? Does one drain pho?

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2020 4:47 PM

Love Pho but prefer Laksa which typically has a spicy coconut broth Laksa is popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2020 4:57 PM

The 2015 thread troll is back apparently...

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2020 4:59 PM

Love the stuff but it is so fucking high in sodium. One bowl contains almost a day’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2020 5:14 PM

Who doesn't love noodle soup. I like the shrimp wrapped sugarcane.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2020 5:17 PM

It tastes funny.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2020 5:19 PM

When I order my beef pho delivered, the beef come separately - raw and uncooked. I place it in the broth and it cooks itself.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2020 5:21 PM

pho?

pho sho!

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2020 5:23 PM

R75'Don't you have to heat the broth on the stove first?

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2020 5:24 PM

No, r77. It arrives hot. The restaurant isn’t that far.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2020 5:28 PM

What's the Italian noodle soup? They have oodles of noodles and everyone loves soup.

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2020 5:37 PM

I love Vietnamese food but I don't get the love for Pho. It bores me

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2020 7:32 PM

I heat it to boiling in a pot first and then pour over the ingredients after i arrange them in the bowl. If they don't include a chili or two for me to snap in half and add to my soup I get pissy.

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2020 11:23 PM

I eat it year-round. Never make it, always in a pho place.

by Anonymousreply 82November 24, 2020 12:10 AM

I love Pho, but will give a warning to other vegetarians regarding Vietnamese (and other restaurants). Before you get their vegetarian Pho, confirm with them that their soup stock is vegetarian, and not made with chicken or pork! A Vietnamese woman who I worked with found out I loved Pho from my favorite Vietnamese restaurant which I went to once a week for years. When I told her I was a vegetarian, she told me their soup stock is not vegetarian. She said it probably has chicken stock in it. So I called them and asked if their vegetarian Pho was made with chicken stock. The guy told me no, it was made with PORK stock!

by Anonymousreply 83November 24, 2020 12:12 AM

I want to try pho now. Any good places in Brooklyn?

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2020 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!