Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marvel's Jessica Jones

Based on the comic book Alias (no, not that one).

Starring Breaking Bad's Krysten Ritter as Jessica, fine hunk of man Mike Colter as Luke Cage, and David Tennant as the uber-creepy Zebediah Kilgrave.

Getting great reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191June 17, 2019 12:59 AM

I am looking forward to this story. Great source material.

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2015 11:08 AM

I never read the source material, but wow it looks to be almost horror like. I'm going to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2015 2:36 PM

The Daredevil series on Netflix was good so I have faith in this one.

Also this one actually has a lesbian character I believe. One of the things that annoyed me about Daredevil is they presented a version of Hell's Kitchen that was so straight it was offensively dumb.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2015 4:09 PM

will Krysten Ritter finally happen? it's been forever now

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2015 9:22 PM

I'm waiting for this to drop on Netflix - I'm excited for this. Jessica Jones has some brilliant source material (the original comic run was *not* your grandpappy's Marvel universe, believe me) and it *does* have an element of horror about it, namely psychological horror. It'd be...refreshing to see a female lead in a comic adaptation who isn't some preppy happy-go-lucky fuckwit (Supergirl, you twat, I'm looking at you) and there is real potential for this to eclipse Daredevil in the action and character stakes.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2015 9:27 PM

[quote]Also this one actually has a lesbian character I believe.

Carrie-Ann Moss' character. In the comic, the character is a man, but they made him a lesbian.

The producers of Daredevil said they approached the show as a crime drama first, and a superhero show second. The producers of Jessica Jones approached it as a noir. I think they had the right idea.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2015 11:05 PM

Excited to see David Tennant getting another bite at the American cherry after his first three attempts kinda crashed. Bad timing though - he's doing almost no promo for it since his new baby was born a few days before the worldwide publicity tour the rest of the cast are doing. He had to drop out of NY Comic Con and the audience was practically baying for blood when they realized.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2015 1:17 PM

More. Nine days to go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2015 11:59 PM

Looks good, but I hate her face.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2015 12:37 AM

[quote] Excited to see David Tennant getting another bite at the American cherry after his first three attempts kinda crashed.

What three bites?

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2015 12:46 AM

Rex Is Not Your Lawyer, Gracepoint and ???

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2015 1:15 AM

He moved to LA in 2010 but the girl he'd been dating found out she was pregnant so he spent some months "dithering" over whether to stay in LA or move back to London to be with her. Because he kept changing his mind, it cost him a couple of jobs and nearly cost him his American agent.

Rex I never saw, but Gracepoint was a stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2015 5:48 AM

She resembles a small-headed bird

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2015 8:20 AM

I'll be tuning in mainly for the supporting cast. I love Carrie Anne Moss. I can't stand Ritter and hate that she is the lead. She lacks charisma.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2015 8:26 AM

Netflix should really do a series about Jessica Drew

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2015 8:27 AM

The last trailer was pretty damn good. DareDevil was awesome, so I have high hopes for this.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2015 5:28 PM

Isn't Luke Cage a super-powered superhero known as "Power Man"? If so, where is Iron Fist?

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2015 5:35 PM

Luke Cage is being introduced in this series, but his own TV show is coming out next year.

Iron Fist has yet to be cast, but he will eventually be coming to Netflix as well.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2015 5:36 PM

Holy crap, it's dark.

Jessica and Luke get into bed in the first episode. Luke is a fine slab of beef.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2015 10:54 AM

They actually wanted to use Jessica Drew but decided to go with a new character.

[quote]Will Krysten Ritter finally happen? it's been forever now

I really like her. I thought "The B in Apartment whatever blabh blah" was going to do it, but.... That was a really funny show.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2015 12:10 PM

She and Luke Cage-no longer Power Man--procreated and their spawn is the future Captain America.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2015 12:11 PM

Loving it. Gritty, real, solid, engaging. Netflix and Marvel are a perfect combination.

I've got loads of work to do so I was supposed to only watch episode one but I'm already halfway through the second one. I watched Daredevil in two days when it came out. No time for a complete binge now.

Loving the creepy siblings from upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2015 6:01 PM

I like Ritter too. Problem is she always plays the same charachter.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2015 6:42 PM

I've only seen her in this and Veronica Mars, but I don't see her character from VM in Jessica, although I see a lot of the VM series in the show.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2015 6:54 PM

Good for her for landing that role. I wonder what other actresses were considered for it?

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2015 7:11 PM

Typical that they'd add a lesbian instead of a gay male character.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2015 7:29 PM

R26, yeah that's unfortunate. Hopefully things change at some point.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2015 7:35 PM

Yep, the only gay male character in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe is a bit player that was recently added to Agents of Shield. Really pathetic.

Daredevil took one of the gayest neighborhoods on the planet and presented a Hell's Kitchen devoid of any gay men.

But anyway, looking forward to starting this show when I get home from work.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2015 7:38 PM

Isn't Ritter a Scieno?

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2015 7:47 PM

Ritter kind of ruins it for me. I never liked her

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2015 7:48 PM

[quote]Good for her for landing that role. I wonder what other actresses were considered for it?

They had five finalists, although I don't remember any of the other choices being a particularly big name, although I think one of them was the actress who plays/played Huntress on Arrow. Ritter and another woman were the only ones who tested with Mike Costa.

Ritter apparently went really hard at the part. She showed up to read dressed basically the same what she's wearing in the series--leather jacket, ripped jeans, boots.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2015 8:10 PM

The cop is hot.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2015 12:23 AM

I'm up to episode five. I really should get to bed but episode four just how to end with the revelation that her druggie neighbor/friend has been stalking her!

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2015 8:27 AM

It was good. I liked it better than Daredevil and the psychological aspect sort of sneaks up on you as a viewer and then really hits home in the second half of the season when you see how fucked up everything is.

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2015 2:38 AM

I just finished episode 10 and even though I like the show I've been liking it less and less the further I've gone. The story itself has huge problems since it's just too one note and almost dull. The writing is overall quite ok but it does have its problems with some stupidity happening. The biggest one probably is the way Jessica uses her powers. I mean it's been repeatedly brought out that she's super strong so how come she fights like a powerless little girl sometimes? How is she defeated so easily by a couple of guys when we know she could bash in their skulls if she wanted? I mean it's obvious why it happens because her being defeated is needed by the story but it's just lazy writing to sacrifice such strong qualities of your main character to make the story advance.

Production quality feels at times too indie and bare which gives a feeling you're watching a low budget show. I assume Daredevil was at the same budget level but it seemed more polished. I think it would've benefited the show hugely if they'd make it about more than just Kilgrave. After episode four or five it's been all about him but it all seems too streched out. After 10 episodes I feel like they could've easily told everything worthwhile that has happened so far in a movie.

Three episodes to go and I don't really feel like going back for a while. If this was a weekly show it's quite possible I would've dropped it already two episodes ago. Hopefully I end up loving the remaining ones since the first few episodes were great. I guess I'm also disappointed that they decided to follow Daredevil so closely in spirit. Unfortunately JJ feels like a pale shadow. I've only watched DD once when it was released so maybe I'm giving it too much credit but I do remember it being written much better.

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2015 4:01 AM

Spoilers ahoy!

I mainlined it in one sitting yesterday (with a two-hour break for snacks, smacking the neighbour's brat with a frying pan and a bitching session with my boss) and, to be honest, it was pretty damned good. Not amazing (come on, first season, kids!) but damned good nonetheless. I actually found all the characters likeable in their own wee way - Hogarth especially. It was nice seen Carrie Ann Moss doing something other than wearing skintight latex and doing improbable bendy stuff in horrid chunky heels. And I liked that each character was explored a little in each episode (though, notably, not with Cage...)

The psychological horror aspect of the show definitely came from the use of mind control as a metaphor for rape (most notably demonstrated by Simpson) and the recovery process being akin to PTSD/rape therapy. I particularly loved how easily Kilgare could be unravelled, mind you - either by Jessica telling him "hey, fucktard (please use that next season, PLEASE), you fucking raped me" or be his finding out that Jessica and Hogarth arranged for Hope's abortion of his unborn child. That last bit is something I've never seen being done on television - or even in film - and it was bloody horrifying and shocking to see Hope in pain during the process. Kilgare, if I'm going to be honest, is a hard character to love. With, say, Loki from "Thor" you could find something about him that you found sexy - either Tom Hiddleston (rawr) or his swagger - or sympathetic (his clear love of Frigga or his deep-rooted love of his brother). Kilgare was horrific from the start. Yes, he was experimented on as a child, but instead of utilising his abilities for good, he became a bastard little fuckshit of the highest order. How many women or girls has he forced into having sex with him whilst deluding them - and him - that they "wanted" it? And *that* aspect of him was the most gruesome - that he couldn't understand why Jessica didn't love him or why she wouldn't love him. That said - I think they could have done better than get David Tennant involved. I never really believed him as Kilgare. There wasn't enough banal malevolence about him.

Now, as for Luke Cage...fuck me, but FUCK ME. I mean, shit. Wow. Break me off a piece of that and serve it to me naked and hot. Ahem. But he was ridiculously underused - presumably due to the upcoming Cage series - but whenever he was on-screen, he was one of the best things about Jessica Jones.

But yeah, bring back JJ for a second series. Marvel's doing bloody well with their Netflix offerings and *please* could they move Peggy Carter to Netflix too?

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2015 11:14 AM

[quote]The biggest one probably is the way Jessica uses her powers. I mean it's been repeatedly brought out that she's super strong so how come she fights like a powerless little girl sometimes?

She can get hurt.

She is super strong and she can fly. Those are her only powers.

She can't dodge bullets, move faster than a normal human and isn't invulnerable. She doesn't have a healing factor. She didn't appear to fight like a "powerless little girl" at all during the series. She doesn't have any special training. The thing to remember is, just like anyone else, she can get hurt. If she got flung into a wall, she'd feel it. Cage on the other hand, wouldn't. They try to make her limitations clear during the series. The only bonus she has over these other guys is that she's a great detective in addition to being strong.

[quote]How is she defeated so easily by a couple of guys when we know she could bash in their skulls if she wanted?

She lives in the human world. If someone winds up dead because of something she did they will ask questions. She could get into trouble. Also she also doesn't want too many people to know she has powers. This is the SHIELD universe, after the first season ended. People know there are people with super powers out there but they don't know how many and the people with powers want to keep them quiet because they could end up in a lot of trouble. Also look at the Avengers. Very few of them are truly "super" without some sort of technological aid. There's Cap and Hulk. The end. People know about aliens from Thor, War Machine and Iron Man use technology. She just can't go around severely hurting people.

[quote]Production quality feels at times too indie and bare which gives a feeling you're watching a low budget show. I assume Daredevil was at the same budget level but it seemed more polished.

I feel it was a more accurate representation of Hell's Kitchen. It's not some huge landscape like Daredevil appeared to be. Also, the series wasn't as dark as Daredevil. I was mostly afraid that she wouldn't fly. However, flying is one of those weird things that has to be done right so I was okay with them keeping that aspect of her powers to a minimum. Also, again. People flying around arouses suspicion. The only people in this world that normal people would spot flying are doing so with technological aid like Iron Man, War Machine or the Vision but ultimately like other Marvel shows, these are normal people with something extra. So there aren't going to be huge explosions and long drawn out gunfights. That stuff just doesn't happen that often.

[quote]I guess I'm also disappointed that they decided to follow Daredevil so closely in spirit. Unfortunately JJ feels like a pale shadow. I've only watched DD once when it was released so maybe I'm giving it too much credit but I do remember it being written much better.

Daredevil was boring to me. It was paced very slowly. The terror from this show isn't a clear and present one. The issues in this show are psychological. The show does a great job showing how damaged Jessica is and how damaged Killgrave is but it's a slow burn. By the last few episodes I was completely freaked out and disgusted.

Also, like Daredevil this is an origin story but smartly done after she already had her abilities. Things change for her in the final episode of the series and if you keep watching you'll find out how.

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2015 7:00 PM

I enjoyed this show quite a bit.

[quote]The biggest one probably is the way Jessica uses her powers. I mean it's been repeatedly brought out that she's super strong so how come she fights like a powerless little girl sometimes?

She doesn't want to kill anybody, duh. She is holding back because if she hit people at full strength they would die. Also she is just a normal person when it comes to fighting, she isn't some trained martial artist or something.

[quote]I feel it was a more accurate representation of Hell's Kitchen.

Definitely. I also thought it was ridiculous that neither Jessica or Luke were familiar with Daredevil. Hell's Kitchen is tiny, they would have to know about him.

This was by far the most adult thing Marvel has done, was surprised at first at how sexual and gruesome it was. David Tennant was great as Kilgrave. was pretty frustrated at how Jessica just refused to kill him, but at least she finally realized that is what needed to be done. Carrie Anne Moss was fantastic in her role also. It was a nice to see a gay character who was fully fleshed out and interesting and had a real sex life! Huge step forward for Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2015 3:30 AM

I *loathe* the pejorative SJW, but... the SJWs on tumblr and twitter and screaming blue murder regarding people who fantasise about Jessica and Kilgrave... only basically NO ONE fantasises about Jessica and Kilgrave.

Anyway, how hot is Mike Colter?

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2015 9:11 AM

Mike Colter is delicious. I was so jealous of Jessica when I watched their sex scenes! Yum!

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2015 8:44 AM

It's ironic since the fanboys have been frothing at the mouth over how awful Jessica Jones is, purely because it's "SJW fodder", whatever that means. I've read stuff saying that JJ takes really awful movie cliches that are so often portrayed as romantic when actually they're creepy as fuck (50 Shades of Grey) and portrays them as the abuse they are. I know a lot of women who loved the scene with Kilgrave ordering Jessica to smile because that's something that happens to women every single day, and guys don't understand why women have a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2015 1:05 PM

[quote]She doesn't want to kill anybody, duh. She is holding back because if she hit people at full strength they would die. Also she is just a normal person when it comes to fighting, she isn't some trained martial artist or something.

Though I understand what you saying cause I'm a comic book guy, I think you're adding subtext when it should've been written into the scene. I think the ball was dropped here.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2015 1:35 PM

I finally managed to watch the last episodes, and things didn't get any better. Way too little stuff happening for a 13 episode season. And I mean ok I wouldn't care about that if the thing was written well. In the end I pretty much disliked all the main characters, outside of Luke Cage since he was MIA for so long.

And say what you will, you guys who answered my earlier post, Jones' powers were inconsistent. If she can jump two or three stories high and has the strength of multiple men she shouldn't be so shitty in fights.

I've heard so much praise for the show that it was refreshing to hear IGN UK podcast's guys say the show has big structural problems and is boring. Not saying they didn't like it but all this 'BEST MARVEL SHOW EVER' shit being thrown around feels just so wrong after Daredevil gorgeousness. I'm actually scared now that DD really wasn't as good as I remember it to be. AoS and Agent Carter possibly set the bar so low that Daredevil seemed like a masterpiece after them.

If Daredevil was close to 5 stars Jessica Jones is somewhere around 3.5. Such a disappointment after the good start the season had.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2015 4:41 AM

Strange. I thought the season started slow then picked up in the second half. The finale (last two episodes) were ant-climatic though. I genuily liked it but I did not enjoy Ritter in the role. Overall I think it was a better show than Daredevil. The story was more compelling and good god the supporting cast was great! I'm surprised no one has mentioned them. Trish/Patsy Walker, Officer Simpson , Luke Cage and Hogarth were more interesting than Jessica Jones.

The only good character in Daredevil was Kingpin.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2015 9:43 AM

That silly bitch Robyn was so annoying. I assumed the way the actress mugged to the cheap seats and out-gurned David Tennant that she was from Broadway. I was right.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2015 11:31 AM

It started out strong but like others have said, the last episodes were a let down. It really doesn't deserve all the hype it is getting. And although I liked the cast I hated Ritter in the role. I don't know if it is her face or her acting but she lacks charisma.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2015 11:45 AM

[quote]I thought the season started slow then picked up in the second half.

Agreed. I wasn't that impressed at first but the show grew stronger. Daredevil was the other way. It started out very strong but lost steam along the way. I also thought the finale of Jessica Jones was better than Daredevil's finale (the costume was cheesy, his final fight with Kingpin was ridiculous).

I'd put Jessica Jones and Daredevil on the same level. They were both good shows and Marvel should be proud, but neither was "OMG amazing".

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2015 2:41 AM

I thought Ritter was a good fit for the part. I don't need for comic heroes to be charismatic; I don't expect it from men and I don't expect it from women either. They've got better things to do than smile pretty or appeal to my sympathies.

The new Supergirl was so gosh-darned peppy and cute she made my teeth ache. Ritter's Jessica was a great antidote to that, a woman with powers who wasn't out to charm anyone.

Sometimes I lack a good understanding of why things are written a certain way. I got extremely bored with Daredevil's ridiculously long fight sequences until I read a blog that explained how the fight scenes are there to highlight his metamorphosis so I rewatched and saw it happening. Looking at Jessica Jones from the same perspective, I could see her changing and evolving as the first year went on. She's learning to use her powers without having a how-to manual, so she's not always good at it yet.

A few characters were overdone and became extremely tiresome. I kept waiting for someone to shoot the loathsome Robyn instead of enabling her, and I got a little tired of Malcolm but I kept reminding myself these are comic book characters and sometimes overdone.

[quote]Kilgare was horrific from the start. Yes, he was experimented on as a child, but instead of utilising his abilities for good, he became a bastard little fuckshit of the highest order.

Did I misunderstand? I thought his parents explained that he was always a psychopath and the experiments were about them trying to find a way to cure or control him.

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2015 3:15 AM

[quote]Looking at Jessica Jones from the same perspective, I could see her changing and evolving as the first year went on. She's learning to use her powers without having a how-to manual, so she's not always good at it yet.

Jones has had her powers for something like 15 years. She was a teen when she got them and her character is probably now on the wrong side of 30. Ritter is 34 herself. Yes it's possible she hasn't used her powers almost at all before opening her detective agency but still it's weird how clumsily she fights. Obviously this is just one of the problems I'm having with the show.

I took a look at the Jessica Jones showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. She wrote for many tv shows (Ally McBeal, O.C etc.)., then wrote Step-Up. Then few seasons as the head writer and finally an executive producer for Dexter. Then she adapted all the Twilight novels for the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2015 4:21 AM

[quote] but instead of utilising his abilities for good, he became a bastard little fuckshit of the highest order.

[quote]Did I misunderstand? I thought his parents explained that he was always a psychopath and the experiments were about them trying to find a way to cure or control him.

The experiments were trying to cure a brain disease. His parents explained he was awful to live with after getting his powers, but he was a child who forces everyone to do everything he says. Of course that is going to be disastrous. There is no way for it not to be disatrous. Like Kilgrave said, he has had learn to how to be so careful with every word he says. I thought his background was good, it made sense why he is the way he is.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2015 4:26 AM

[quote]I thought Ritter was a good fit for the part. I don't need for comic heroes to be charismatic; I don't expect it from men and I don't expect it from women either. They've got better things to do than smile pretty or appeal to my sympathies.

Agreed but Ritter is very unlikable

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2015 5:31 AM

Can someone post pix of the hot guys so i don't have to watch the show?

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2015 6:51 AM

There aren't any, R52

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2015 10:35 AM

[quote]There aren't any, [R52]

Speak for yourself. I, and many other people, think Mike Colter who plays Luke Cage is very attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2015 3:21 PM

And others don't find him attractive, R54 . But he won't be on the show much longer. If there is a season 2 his role will be steadily reduced because Luke cage will get his own show. So Jessica Jones doesn't have any eye candy

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2015 4:13 PM

In the comics Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are married and have a child together R55.

They characters are going to keep being a part of each other's life, count on it.

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2015 4:21 PM

Not on the show, R56. Luke Cage won't be seen in season 2. He gets his own show and Netflix is keeping them apart. And that comes from somebody who knows what Netflix is doing

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2015 4:25 PM

R52, Wil Traval is a hottie as well. I didn't like his character, written as skin-deep as the others, but he was sexy. Had no idea he's Australian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2015 5:02 PM

The female characters all speak in a monotone style. It's an awful series.

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2015 5:05 PM

[quote]He gets his own show and Netflix is keeping them apart. And that comes from somebody who knows what Netflix is doing

Of course he has his own show. He is filming it right now and it is coming out next year, this isn't a secret. That has no effect on what may or may occur on a second season of Jessica Jones (which hasn't even been commissioned yet).

What HAS been declared is a "Defenders" show, which will feature Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Daredevil. So we know they will be brought together again.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2015 5:07 PM

I didn't say that it was a secret that he gets his own show, R60. But the shows don't follow the comics. Netflix is keeping them apart. Luke Cage will not appear in season 2 of Jessica Jones.

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2015 5:23 PM

Agree with others that they had 8 episodes of story and shot 13. With Netflix, there should be more flexibility in seasons' lengths.

Looks like they were giving Simpson the updated Super Soldier formula, now in red white and blue pills. They even gave him the same Chris Evans/Steve Rogers dye job.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2015 5:36 PM

Simpson was hot and they abruptly ended his storyline. I hope he's back next season.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2015 8:15 PM

Since Trish is investigating the group that took Simpson, I'd imagine he'll be back.

Others have said that Ritter fought for the role, but the casting always seemed a bit off, like it was mainly due to some old ABC contract from her Don't Trust the B show days.

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2015 10:24 PM

I didn't have problems with any of the actors really until it started to turn out how flat the writing is after the first few episodes. Then I started disliking almost all of them. Ritter is fine but she was given so little room that her charisma just wasn't enough to keep the spark alive. I've never really liked Tennant and he wasn't in any way masterful in this.

I watched the latter part of the season alongside the first few episodes of Aquarius. Mainly because I just didn't want to go back to JJ. Even for such a mediocre show Aquarius has life and variety Jessica Jones lacks. JJ has only a few half-baked characters going around in the same small circle doing the same things over and over again. I couldn't understand why JJ kept going back to her agency when Killgrave or anyone he possesses could've walked in any second. Illogical things like that destroy credibility. I can totally see characters like her neighbors work in the comics but here they were mostly annoying, especially the crazy sister.

Aquarius is not perfect in any way but I still feel like I want to see the next episode. With JJ it was something I knew I just had to do because I wanted to get rid of it. Obviously JJ is not complete rubbish or I would've ditched it. I'm just disappointed how dull and small it ended up being.

by Anonymousreply 65November 30, 2015 12:50 AM

[quote] I've never really liked Tennant and he wasn't in any way masterful in this.

I disagree, I thought Tennant did a great job and really helped hold it together. Him and Carrie Ann Moss did the best acting jobs.

by Anonymousreply 66December 1, 2015 2:49 AM

As ever, David Tennant was heavy on the ham. I can't imagine how unbearable he would have been as Hannibal. However, I liked how Tennant didn't play the character as charming. Most reasonably attractive actors would amp up the flirtation to play him as a charming scociopath. Their egos couldn't take playing someone so unrelentingly, unappealingly unlikeabley awful otherwise. He played Kilgrave as a straight up psycho, who is such a psycho that no one likes him, he is not seductive and the only way he can get someone interested in him is through total control.

Kudos to the writers, Tennant and Krysten for going there.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2015 4:37 PM

They just HAD to make the power lesbian an asshole, didn't they.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2015 4:39 PM

I can't wait to watch, but I have no idea when I'm going to be able to fit this show in...

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2015 4:58 PM

any idea when they star filming season 2? any new additions to the cast?

by Anonymousreply 70January 1, 2016 8:11 PM

[quote]will Krysten Ritter finally happen? it's been forever now

Well, she seems to be doing better than her Don't Trust The B co star Dreama Walker. Ritter will never be a huge star, she can have a steady TV career with an occasional supporting role in a movie like she's done in the past. I wonder if Ritter is laughing at NBC. She filmed six or seven episodes for a sitcom called Mission Control. NBC scrapped that show and then opted to air that awful straight guy/lesbian having a baby show called One Big Happy. One Big Happy was panned and canned.

by Anonymousreply 71January 1, 2016 8:31 PM

I doubt S2 will be anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 72January 2, 2016 4:29 AM

With more outlets like Netflix and Amazon, an actor can have steady work. I can see Jessica Jones lasting for at least 2 more seasons. Plus Ritter will be in involved in the Defenders series.

by Anonymousreply 73January 2, 2016 11:45 AM

I hope this will begat a Hellcat series starring Trish/Patsy and co-starring the newly blousy Rebecca DeMornay.

by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2016 12:31 PM

The Defenders series is what's holding back JJ season 2. Marvel overpacked their schedule (they have two more shows coming up in addition to Defenders) and there's simply no time to do JJ season two for probably over a year.

by Anonymousreply 75January 2, 2016 7:08 PM

[quote]Agreed but Ritter is very unlikable

She reminds me of AnnE, who I consider intolerable. I like the series well enough to overlook that.

by Anonymousreply 76January 3, 2016 1:36 AM

I agree, R76. Ritter is intolerable and unlikable. I can't pin point the reason but I can't watch her. Unfortunately, I can't overlook that and watch the show. She ruins it for me

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2016 5:27 AM

what other super hero shows are coming out? I know about luke cage and the defendants. any others?

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2016 5:57 AM

Legends Of Tomorrow on CW (I will watch solely for Wentworth). Preacher is coming out at AMC/TNT? it's not a superhero series but based on a comic. it's similar to Constatine but darker.

by Anonymousreply 79January 9, 2016 12:09 PM

Preacher sounds interesting. Who is in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 80January 9, 2016 12:18 PM

DL fave Dominic Cooper. 'nuff said

by Anonymousreply 81January 9, 2016 2:05 PM

Officially the highest rated show on Netflix, they announced the other day.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2016 7:46 AM

Marvel has no issue adding lesbians to their shows. Sadly gay men still don't exist in the MCU.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2016 8:41 AM

How come Netflix add lesbian characters to all their shows, yet hardly ever gay men! I'm so sick of the hypocrisy and double standard. It's like Netflix is run by a SJW, we all know the social justice warriors hate gays for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2016 8:44 AM

[quote]I doubt S2 will be anytime soon.

Netflix Confirms "Jessica Jones" Renewal

Netflix has confirmed that its acclaimed second Marvel Comics based series "Jessica Jones" has been renewed for a second season of thirteen episodes.

The only surprise about the long-awaited renewal is that it took so long. The series premiered in November to strong reviews, even better than that of Marvel and Netflix's first collaboration "Daredevil," with Krysten Ritter scoring great notices as the private detective with superhuman abilities and trying to rebuild her life.

The series was one of five original series ordered that were based on the characters in the comic giant's universe, the third is "Luke Cage" which is expected to premiere around mid-year. Still no real word on the "Iron Fist" or "The Defenders" mini-series, but Netflix's CCO Ted Sarandos says "We're still on the five we originally announced."

Both 'Cage' and the second season of 'Jones' will join the second season of "Daredevil" in terms of likely 2016 air dates. There's also a potential "The Punisher" spin-off series in the works at the streaming giant, but that's not confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2016 6:36 PM

I like Ritter. I'd never seen her before and only planned to watch 1 episode. I ended up watching the whole season. Love Carrie Ann Moss. Women in comics are rare and I have read this series is specifically intending to put a feminist slant on a comic scenario. Also thought Luke Cage was hot, but figured if he was getting his own series, he wouldn't be on this one anymore.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2016 7:26 PM

Marvel changed their game plan, deciding to do a second season of Jessica Jones before they do the Defenders series.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2016 9:24 PM

cool

by Anonymousreply 88January 18, 2016 2:32 AM

There will likely be a lot more cross character appreances before they get to the Defenders.

Rosario Dawson is confirmed for Luke Cage, and plenty of big hints of Ritter and Moss making apprearances.

Given the huge success, they'll probably include Ritter in season 2 of Daredevil and apprearances by a high powered NY attorney such as Moss could also easily fit into Daredevil.

by Anonymousreply 89January 18, 2016 3:28 AM

I hope Trish is utilized in the other shows too. One of the best characters in Jessica Jones.

by Anonymousreply 90January 18, 2016 4:02 AM

Finally binge watched it this weekend. It was utterly fantastic.

I couldn't help but notice that they didn't take the effort to put the Avengers/Stark tower into the skyline in the skyline shots, the way they did (briefly, subtly) in the DareDevil shots though.

Unless I miss it.

BTW, if you haven't watched it, you need to. It's damn good.

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2016 11:59 PM

I'd like to see this but not enough to sign up for Netflix. I'll wait till it's available a la carte.

by Anonymousreply 92January 25, 2016 12:17 AM

I loved it but I liked the first half before Tennant actually showed up. I like him as an actor but his character did not work for me. Thank you r67 for explaining that it was a deliberate choice for him not to be charming. Ritter was incredible, loved her sarcasm and she had a real connection with Luke Cage. All the other characters were mostly good except for the annoying upstairs sister; it was a mistake to write the scene that had her convincing the others to turn on Jessica. There were some good small touches, like the guy who gave up his coat on the subway and the horrifying one of the guy who left his kid on the sidewalk, the constantly broken door. I enjoyed the build up to Kilgrave's appearance. I haven't watched Daredevil but as soon as I saw Rosario Dawson in the last episode I knew we were in for a lot of pretentious exposition, I guess I preferred JJ when it was more mystery and less superhero-y.

by Anonymousreply 93January 25, 2016 12:35 AM

I absolutely loved the connection to Dare Devil in the final episode, with DareDevil's neighbor & nurse.

by Anonymousreply 94January 25, 2016 12:36 AM

So, a significant lesbian couple, a gay male couple there at the end (not significant, but where Killgrave holed up at the end... their apartment), and at the very center of the whole series, an interracial relationship between the leads.

Conservatives must really hate this show.

by Anonymousreply 95January 25, 2016 12:51 AM

It stars a strong female lead fighting against a controlling white straight man R95, they already weren't gunning for the hardcore right wing idiots before they got to any of the things you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 96January 25, 2016 3:00 AM

That's exaggerating, R83. At least one of the core X-Men is confirmed to be a gay man, and you can't pick up a Young X-Men/Young Avengers title without at least one baby gay guy. Hell, Peter Parker's boss got married to his boyfriend in recent years. It hasn't always been this good, true, but visibility is getting so much better this decade. I would support you or anyone else lobbying for more gay Anything in the mainstream MCU flicks, of course, but to start complaining because there are too many lesbians in a Netflix show is kind of lame, man.

by Anonymousreply 97January 25, 2016 12:16 PM

The good: I loved Krysten Ritter (as always) as an anti-hero. The role could've easily been cheesy and one dimensional, but she pulled it off.

Actually, with the exception of the creepy twin sister girl, I loved all of the female characters in the show.

The bad: So many plot holes. Jessica is supposed to be a fast runner, yet she couldn't catch up to a middle aged college professor. Kilgrave is able to control people because he emits a virus, yet he's able to control people over the phone.

Doug's transformation from bad guy to good guy to bad guy was not only stupid, but the storyline went nowhere. If some genetic lab was responsible for Doug and Jessica, why did they lose contact with Jessica after giving her superpowers?

The ugly: David Tennant's horrible toupee.

by Anonymousreply 98January 31, 2016 9:17 AM

I have a feeling the bad cop's story isn't really over. It was a reference to an organization and situation that will be explored in more detail elsewhere... in a future season, or even one of the other Marvel properties.

by Anonymousreply 99January 31, 2016 4:07 PM

[quote] Kilgrave is able to control people because he emits a virus, yet he's able to control people over the phone.

The show established that after he has exposed people to his virus, Kilgrave can still control them for a full 12 hours later just by the sound of his voice.

by Anonymousreply 100April 1, 2016 5:37 AM

I finally saw the series last week.

It was far too slow. It dragged - particularly, the last six or so episodes. They tried their best to stretch four episodes worth of material to 13. Kilgrave wasn't compelling (pun not intended), and an entire season featuring him as the only antagonist was too much.

I liked Ritter in the role (this was the only thing in which I've seen her); yet, over time, Jessica frustrated me, which bled into me growing weary of Ritter's performance.

Acting-wise, Moss, the actors who played the twins, and DeMornay gave strong performances. Hogarth's' jilted wife, the secretary, and the girl who killed her parents were good as well. Dawson was terrific in her one episode. The cross-pollination of Moss and Dawson (thus far) between JJ and DD is one of the only variables keeping me interested in continuing either series.

by Anonymousreply 101April 1, 2016 7:30 AM

Just started watching this -- am up to the fifth episode and am finding it a slog.

Is it supposed to be adorable that she's such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2016 12:15 AM

have you ever seen a series called Gravity? It starred Ritter, and an ensemble cast. It was created by David Schaeffer (also one of the main characters). If you find it watch it, it's the worst thing i've ever seen on tv:it's so bad i can even start to describe it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2016 12:25 AM

Wonder why Marvel has taken over so much of storytelling these days. Do people really think the stories, and the way they're told, are actually any good?

Do we really need stories about people who have superhuman abilities to be interested? At heart these stories are told to adolescent boys, and so their worldview is essentially juvenile. That means, when dealing with the adult world, a sort of melodramatic, ham-handed cynicism. Also a sort of cluelessness about the way the world really works. My favorite example of this is when Foggy, lovable goof of a friend to Daredevil, was offered a partnership in an established law firm as well as a corner office because he had argued one case well. Oh my sides!

It's a little depressing to read that someone considers this material to be "brilliant."

I was equally interested to see so many adults reading the Harry Potter books, which are, after all, YA fiction. Part of the ongoing infantilization of Western civilization, I gather.

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2016 4:31 PM

I liked this show, despite my visceral dislike of the hammy Tenant and the crazy, potato-faced Robin Weigert.

Carrie-Anne Moss and (surprisingly) Rachael Taylor were the highlights of the show for me, even though I did think Moss struggled with her line delivery a few times. Taylor was perfect as the supportive best friend who serves as Jessica's connection to the rest of the world.

While hot, the guy who played Luke Cage is possibly the worst actor ever. Well, maybe not that far, but he is pretty terrible. I can't imagine him carrying his own show. And he had no chemistry with Ritter. Two hot people jumping up and down on a bed does not a good sex scene make. Moss and the secretary had a hotter scene while fully clothed.

Agree with some others upthread that they didn't have enough content for 13 episodes. It got to be too repetitive toward the end. And since I never watched Daredevil, I had no idea why Rosario Dawson showed up and all of a sudden was hogging up screen time. I found her boring.

by Anonymousreply 105July 14, 2016 2:44 AM

Does anyone know who the actor from these set photos is? He's so handsome and has amazing hair.

He looks Italian, but also Jewish from certain angles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2017 5:50 PM

[quote]It's a little depressing to read that someone considers this material to be "brilliant."

R104 I find Jessica Jones' narrative about women surviving abuse to be a brilliant bit of material that is rarely seen on television. Now go and be depressed some more.

by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2017 5:55 PM

Trailer for the second season, which debuts March 8th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 9, 2017 9:32 PM

Full trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 7, 2018 3:07 PM

R109 i'm so god damn hyped !

by Anonymousreply 110February 7, 2018 3:10 PM

Trish needs to wear a blue and yellow jumpsuit sometime soon.

by Anonymousreply 111February 7, 2018 4:55 PM

New trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 20, 2018 5:43 PM

The AV Club is pretty pissed with this new trailer.

[quote]It’s all well and good for Netflix to try and pull in new viewers who have yet to watch the first season of the Marvel superhero series, but there’s a way to do that without simply rehashing a bunch of shots from it during your efforts to promote season two. This is lazy trailer cutting, and it does almost nothing to further stoke anticipation for the new episodes. And given the last trailer was great, this is a sad, warmed-over effort at reaching new audiences—which, honestly, you’re better off just watching the previous season’s trailer if that’s what you want. It’s still on Netflix, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 20, 2018 5:43 PM

Yet another lesbian show where gay men are nowhere to be seen. Zzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 114February 20, 2018 7:42 PM

This review of the first five episodes of the second season is... not great. It's slow, meandering, and suffers from not having a clear villain.

I got the sense that it would be slow from the trailer but this is still disappointing to hear. Still, hoping for the best. I'd hate for this particular show to be destroyed by the critics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 27, 2018 3:13 PM

Yeah I was always afraid that Jessica Jones season 2 wouldn't be able to live up to the good-will from season 1. Part of what made season 1 one work is that Kilgrave was such an enticing antagonist.

by Anonymousreply 116February 27, 2018 3:20 PM

Grace Randolph's spoiler-free video review of the first five episodes. She gushes over it and is chomping at the bit to burn through the remaining eight episodes. Contrary to the review upthread, she says it takes two episodes until it sucks you in completely. I've written down the main points if you don't want to watch the video:

[quote][bold]The Good:[/bold] excellent writing (both dialogue and story), a very compelling new character with Janet McTeer, Trish and Jerry get interesting storylines, Krysten Ritter was born for this role and shines

[quote][bold]The Bad:[/bold] way too many female characters (approaching Lifetime territory) with men receiving minimal screen time, Terry Chen is overacting like crazy, mediocre directing even with the all-female directors, Jessica's detective work is sloppily written

[quote][bold]The Ugly:[/bold] the show looks *super* cheap

All Netflix Marvel shows look cheap to me so I'm used to that aspect by now. I'm so much more excited after listening to this review. She also says Janet McTeer's hair is a character unto itself and I am [italic]here[/italic] for it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 27, 2018 10:13 PM

B from IndieWire.

[quote]Yet it’s the introduction of Janet McTeer as a mysterious figure connected with Jessica’s past who is the most dynamic element of these early episodes. While she has potential as a foil, there’s not enough of her to keep us hooked, not to mention the lack of the emotional hook that we had with Kilgrave in Season 1. It should be an emotional journey on something like an equal level, given that both storylines feature some form of violation for Jessica. Unfortunately, the path remains a bit too meandering.

Seems like everyone is just waiting for Killgrave to show up again. Which seems a bit icky to me after the whole #MeToo movement...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 27, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]Grace Randolph's spoiler-free video review of the first five episodes. She gushes over it and is chomping at the bit to burn through the remaining eight episodes. Contrary to the review upthread, she says it takes two episodes until it sucks you in completely. I've written down the main points if you don't want to watch the video

Are you Grace Randolph? Because otherwise, I don't know why you keep posting her videos here. NO ONE HERE CARES WHAT SHE THINKS.

by Anonymousreply 119February 27, 2018 10:19 PM

r119 I literally just posted three reviews in succession and you latched onto that one. Now stop shouting, calm down, and grow up. In that particular order.

You are also free to block me as I have just done with you.

by Anonymousreply 120February 27, 2018 10:22 PM

Alan Sepinwall didn't like it all that much. I do pray his Jewish name and review don't trigger the supremely delicate r119.

[quote]Rosenberg [another Jew!] and company try to compensate [for Killgrave's absence] by focusing on the other great tragedy in Jessica’s past: the car accident that killed her parents and brother when he was a teenager, and which left her in a coma from which she emerged with super strength.

Speaking of this show being meandering, try getting through the next paragraph in one take. I hate it when he does this shit.

[quote]The great British actress Janet McTeer turns up playing essentially Dark Jessica — or, given our heroine’s self-destructive streak and manner of speaking (“Go beat off in the corner,” she tells a rival, “’cause I don’t give a dead moose’s last shit”), Darker Jessica. Pitting heroes against a fractured mirror version of themselves is a pretty common comic book trope (see Black Panther, which also features a villain with “kill” in his name), but — perhaps overcompensating for season one’s excessive Kilgrave focus — her character and Jessica cross paths so little that it’s hard to judge if she’ll be an effective replacement, or even the season’s true villain at all. (Remember when The Defenders utterly wasted Sigourney Weaver as a red herring? Good times.) Where season one was very clearly about control, consent, and moving on after trauma, season two seems to be casting about for a unifying idea beyond the notion that damage doesn’t just go away when the root cause of it does.

[quote]This is now the eighth season of this collaboration between studio and streaming service. Anyone expecting some kind of radical change in approach and execution at this point is like one of those saps who kept being surprised when Frank Underwood stabbed them in the back on another Netflix drama. But these shows, and this one in particular, are good just often enough that it’s hard not to feel like they should be capable of that more frequently. In both the comic books and the TV show, Jessica Jones is held up by her friends and enemies alike as a textbook case of wasted potential; it would be a shame if the TV show named after her ends up the same way.

by Anonymousreply 121February 27, 2018 10:36 PM

Sorry, forgot to include the link as I was hypnotized by that paragraph.

Look away, R119!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 27, 2018 10:53 PM

I'm now waiting for Tom&Lorenzo's and Mo Ryan's takes as I pretty much trust their taste unconditionally, but especially when it comes to these Marvel Netflix shows where I sometimes don't know what to make of them. Although I did deviate from them a bit as I [italic]loved[/italic] The Punisher, so who knows.

Mo is married to an Asian immigrant from the UK so I'll put a trigger warning for r119 before posting her review. I'm nothing if not considerate. And TLo are homosexual so I might preface their review with a gentle disclaimer as well. You never know what'll set someone off here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 123February 27, 2018 11:21 PM

First episode was okay, setting up stuff for later. The writing and the directing are both great, but the rooftop conversation between Jessica and Trish was so harshly lit it looked like two nosejobs talking.

However, I just finished watching the second episode and I'm [italic]fuming.[/italic] They made Jessica's assistant Malcolm - the cutest guy in all of MCU - straight even though they're perfectly aware the lack of gay guys in these shows is a glaring issue. Seriously, fuck Melissa Rosenberg for snatching Malcolm and his adorable third nipple away from us like that for no reason.

Anyway, Terry Chen's acting is more than fine, so I don't know what Grace was on about. And I'm not from NYC so I'm not bothered by stale or reused locations. I hope Jessica fucks the shit out of that hot latino neighbour of hers.

by Anonymousreply 124March 8, 2018 3:41 PM

Trish attempting to blackmail that guy by saying she'll tell the public he molested her when she was 15? Oy vey, Melissa Rosenberg. Not a good look in this post-Rapp world.

I've seen the first five episodes and while it doesn't feel like a slog, not much actually happens and I don't really see it as addictive television. I bet the binge statistics for this show will be awful. However, Trish and Jeri's subplots are getting very interesting. And the reveal at the end of the fifth episode was mental. [italic]Mental![/italic] Plus, having the villain be an older superpowered female feels very fresh.

Anyone know the name of the actor playing Trish's boyfriend? I can't find it on IMDb and he's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 125March 9, 2018 11:18 AM

*I meant the reveal at the end of the [italic]sixth[/italic] episode, not the fifth, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 126March 9, 2018 11:55 AM

Finished it yesterday. Ho-hum. It's not that it's boring or slow, it's not even a slog, it's just so... sparse. Jessica's mom story is refreshing and something we don't see often on TV, Trish's and Jeri's subplots are fascinating, and all of them are elegantly woven together. But despite that, the season just doesn't have enough meat to it to be that engaging. And aside from the finale, it rarely features any kind of emotional punch. Those final moments are so powerful, they made me retroactively like the season better.

I can already sense this will bomb among (younger) guys as it deals with many aspects of a mother-daughter relationship and not much else. And while the actress playing Jessica's mother was beyond wonderful, there' no way her character could ever be compelling enough a season after Killgrave. Just impossible.

Notes for the showrunner: not giving us Jessica leaping somewhere even once is a slap in the face and gay guys all being tertiary characters is unforgivable. Please make a spinoff with Hellcat taking out the homophobes of NYC, thank you.

Lastly, a shout-out to Kevin Chacon, who is the cutest little shit in any series ever. He didn't annoy me for one second and that's huge. Also didn't botch a single line, which is just nuts for a child actor. Definitely going places, that one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 10, 2018 10:53 AM

So the guy who fucked Jessica Jones' ass in the second episode was played by gay actor Jake Boyd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 10, 2018 10:27 PM

r128 Ooh, nice find! I usually google hot guys I see on TV shows immediately but his character put me off with his bigotry so much I forgot about him by the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 129March 10, 2018 10:35 PM

How do you know he's of the homosexual persuasia?

by Anonymousreply 130March 10, 2018 10:36 PM

r130 I'm not that poster but his Insta seems pretty damn homosexual to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 10, 2018 10:39 PM

This R130

[quote]Happy National Coming Out Day! We’ll all be awaiting your first step with open arms. Love yoself foo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 10, 2018 10:39 PM

Yeah, he's proper gay.

by Anonymousreply 133March 10, 2018 10:41 PM

Would someone care to go through Hal Ozsan's Insta and make a... call as well? He's so dreamy but got dropped pretty unceremoniously by the show.

I also wanted to add that he's an upgrade from Wil Traval but they're kinda on the same level, I think, looks-wise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 10, 2018 10:55 PM

Hal's more high profile of an actor so it's hard to say.

by Anonymousreply 135March 10, 2018 11:00 PM

r135 Thanks, that's good enough for me. And definitely better than "I'm his neighbour and he's straight as an arrow." My fantasies live another day. Until someone in the know comes here and spoils the fun, that is.

by Anonymousreply 136March 10, 2018 11:12 PM

Damn Eka Darville looked good in nothing but a towel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 11, 2018 3:23 AM

Carrie Anne Moss looks good. Never noticed her before this.

by Anonymousreply 138March 11, 2018 9:49 PM

R138 She does. And I remember reading somewhere (DL?) that's she's generally considered a shit actress but I find her to be really great in this show. Her whole presence aligns so wonderfully with her character.

by Anonymousreply 139March 11, 2018 10:10 PM

I didn't really care for her in the Matrix movies, but she is really good here.

by Anonymousreply 140March 11, 2018 10:14 PM

I don’t remember much about the Matrix movies or her. But I like her look in Jessica Jones.

by Anonymousreply 141March 11, 2018 10:15 PM

The second season has been pretty dull. They lost a GREAT villain in Killgrave (the horrible things he would make up to force people to do with his mind controlling powers, like make the servants stare out the window without blinking for hours until Jessica showed up) were pretty ingeniously twisted, and having Janet McTeer as a superstrong villainess to fight Jessica is pretty ridiculous. For some reason, it reminds me of Titus Andromedon's working class boyfriend having a glamorous painting of Tilda Swinton done on the side his truck to try to make the other schmoes at his job accept him as a heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 142March 11, 2018 10:22 PM

[quote]and having Janet McTeer as a superstrong villainess to fight Jessica is pretty ridiculous

That's the thing I've seen reviewers pointing out: there was no clear-cut villain this season, so the whole season was basically an experiment of sorts and something no Marvel Netflix show has ever attempted. It should be lauded for that for sure but unfortunately, it all fell pretty flat, at least for me. Especially after an almost three-year hiatus.

The fact that no episode got more than a B+ from the AV Cub is pretty telling. I hate that my favourite (by far!) Marvel Netflix show performed so poorly; I was really rooting for it as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 11, 2018 10:35 PM

Jessica's Hispanic neighbor is muy caliente!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 11, 2018 10:38 PM

A lot of guys on the show are pretty hot.

by Anonymousreply 145March 11, 2018 10:40 PM

Is this show popular?

by Anonymousreply 146March 13, 2018 3:17 AM

r146 People loved the first season but the second one has received some pretty mixed responses so far. I liked it but it's definitely not as exciting as the first one. Also, the popularity has naturally waned a bit over time as almost a quarter of a decade elapsed between the seasons. How can you stay enthusiastic about something when it takes ages to get some new material to consume?

by Anonymousreply 147March 13, 2018 2:29 PM

R137 He'd look even better without it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 13, 2018 2:44 PM

Season 3 character breakdowns. There's speculation Power Broker will be the villain.

Still can't believe how quickly the second season came and went. Such a missed opportunity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 11, 2018 3:08 PM

They should get Jeri a good woman to date.

by Anonymousreply 150May 11, 2018 11:50 PM

We need some gay men in the MCU.

by Anonymousreply 151May 11, 2018 11:51 PM

Audition tapes have surfaced for the third season and they hint at some new characters. And while the first guy is pretty good (and Australian so he should be cheap), Justin Gaston is just... oof. He should apply for a role on 'Midnight, Texas' instead.

Oh, and this bit in his Wikipedia entry made me laugh out loud:

[quote]Gaston was born in Pineville, Louisiana. He attended Pineville High School. He competed in track and field, finishing sixth in the pole vault at the 2005 Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA) 4A State Championship meet. Gaston achieved a height of 12' 6" in the competition.

You just know he added those ridiculous details himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 5, 2018 11:26 PM

I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but I just finished season two. Totally agree that Jeri Hogarth is the best role of Carrie-Anne Moss's career -- she's great on this show.

Janet McTeer was miscast as Jessica's mom, IMO, and that whole storyline seemed kind of pointless in the end.

Loved David Tennant's guest spot and thought Killgrave's commentary was a season highlight. I wished they'd had more of him.

I did have to laugh at Trish during her "strung out on vaporized steroids" phase. Unintentionally funny... though I look forward to seeing her morph into Hellcat.

by Anonymousreply 153June 15, 2018 11:51 PM

Yeah, the Hellcat transformation is the thing I'm looking forward to the most as her movements are going to be way more refined than Jessica's.

I was impressed by the self-awareness and restraint Malcolm displayed immediately after using the inhaler. Plenty of people - myself included - would just be too fascinated with their new powers to really think about the toll this was taking on their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2018 12:01 AM

I got the sense that his reaction was because whatever the inhaler delivered somehow didn't work on him the same way it had on Simpson and Trish -- that he wasn't feeling suddenly super-powered but, rather, having some kind of negative reaction.

Malcolm tore off as though he thought his heart or his head were going to explode, so maybe the drug causes different side effects in different people. That would also explain why he wanted nothing to do with it: he had a REALLY bad trip.

by Anonymousreply 155June 18, 2018 12:09 PM

Interesting. I just saw him as someone who's been struggling with drug addiction that's ruined his life for a long time, got clean, and now had this new drug thrust upon him, and immediately recognized what this will lead to down the road.

by Anonymousreply 156June 18, 2018 12:16 PM

That's also totally plausible, R156!

On a different note, one of my favorite unintentionally funny scenes of the season was when manic Trish was driving Jessica through town. The actresses were obviously in front of a green screen because the car came to a stop but Rachael Taylor kept "steering" the wheel as she delivered her lines.

by Anonymousreply 157June 18, 2018 12:22 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 7, 2018 10:08 AM

I watched the 2nd season a couple months ago. It was not as focused as the 1st. I just was not very interested in the Mother storyline. (Also didn't she and Jessica meet in a diner early on and JJ didn't recognize her?) Trish's transformation bored me after a while, her scenes ended up being very shouty. When people complain the series was slow moving, I guess that's what they mean. If the pace had been faster, I would not have minded.

I thought Hogarth had the most compelling story. She and Malcolm were my favorite characters this season. The hot super/artist with the adorable kid, just no. He was a Mary Sue fan wank. And speaking of fan wanking, was it in this season, when Hogarth was being eased out of her law firm, one schlubby Associate guy came to her to say some bs how he supported her? A totally random scene and then it turns out he's a crossover character from another series and everyone squees. But if you don't know who his character is, it stops the story cold as you try to figure out who this guy is and then he's never referred to again. Dumb.

I'll still watch, I think Ritter is great in the role but I'm less interested in the superhero stuff (and God forbid, the MARVEL UNIVERSE, kill me now) and more interested in offbeat detective stories with cool supporting characters.

by Anonymousreply 159July 7, 2018 12:58 PM

The Marvel Netflix shows all have a problem of 'inappropriate lengths'. The Defenders was too short by one or two episodes. Luke Cage and others are two long by one or two episodes.

They should settle on a ten episode arc. Or at least do only as many episodes as the plot warrants, and not try to pad them out to 12 or 13 all the time.

by Anonymousreply 160July 7, 2018 6:39 PM

[quote]A totally random scene and then it turns out he's a crossover character from another series and everyone squees. But if you don't know who his character is, it stops the story cold as you try to figure out who this guy is and then he's never referred to again.

I agree, and it happens on all the Netflix Marvel shows. If you haven't watched *all* of them, those random guest spots are meaningless and potentially confusing.

by Anonymousreply 161July 8, 2018 9:04 PM

Great, we're hating on Foggy now. Who would watch Season 2 of Jessica Jones without having seen Daredevil or the Defenders? What would compel someone to watch these shows out of order?

by Anonymousreply 162July 8, 2018 9:09 PM

Me. Other people who aren't interested in super hero stories but thought that JJ looked interesting.

by Anonymousreply 163July 8, 2018 10:33 PM

[quote]Who would watch Season 2 of Jessica Jones without having seen Daredevil or the Defenders? What would compel someone to watch these shows out of order?

Not everyone who tunes into one these shows is a super-fan who watches every Marvel product.

by Anonymousreply 164July 8, 2018 10:36 PM

You don't have to be a "super-fan" asshole.

But come on... why would you just open a book and read chapter six, and then get bent out of shape because you didn't know who characters were?

by Anonymousreply 165July 9, 2018 12:42 AM

R165 - what is the right order to watch them? I've watched Season1 of Jessica Jones only, so far.

by Anonymousreply 166July 9, 2018 12:45 AM

DareDevil sesaon 1 - Jessica Jones season 1 - DareDevil season 2 - Luke Cage season 1 - Iron Fist season 1 - Defenders season 1 - The Punisher season 1 (not really needed though) - Jessica Jones season 2 - Luke Cage season 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 9, 2018 12:48 AM

R167, this guy Marvels.

by Anonymousreply 168July 9, 2018 12:51 AM

See that’s the problem though. I liked DD and JJ but quickly bored of LC — marvel on Netflix tries to be adult and fails, and it’s most painfully evident when it tries to tell a political story like in LC.

And I’ve heard Iron Fist is ghastly.

So that’s actually *keeping me* from watching JJ and Defenders. (I watched Punisher but that’s because it’s totally stand alone.). With different quality levels on their Netflix programming due to different writers and directors, marvel actually get themselves into trouble with all these interlocking stories. I probably won’t watch anything else until P2 comes along.

by Anonymousreply 169July 9, 2018 1:01 AM

[quote]But come on... why would you just open a book and read chapter six, and then get bent out of shape because you didn't know who characters were?

What? No. That would be like starting in the middle of season 2 of Jessica Jones and being upset you don't understand it.

If you are watching the TV show "Jessica Jones" it should not be required that you watch other TV shows in order to understand it. I am a super-fan (defensive over that term?) that watches all these marvel products, but I understand you can't expect the average netflix viewer who might check out a show to be that way.

I don't think it was a big problem, Jessica Jones was pretty standalone, but in general it is something the writers should keep in mind.

[quote]So that’s actually *keeping me* from watching JJ and Defenders.

The Defenders was a big disappointment, not bad, just pretty lame for what was supposed to be their big climax series.

by Anonymousreply 170July 9, 2018 1:04 AM

Ok r170 and because JJ2 comes after that it makes me even less likely to watch JJ2. They’re going to do themselves in with all this intertwining of stories. When something is clearly shit, people won’t watch it, and won’t watch anything that follows.

by Anonymousreply 171July 9, 2018 1:15 AM

R171, or maybe lots of people enjoyed Luke Cage, and the series has been a great addition to the extended MCU. While there may be some culutral parts of LC which are foreign to you, I would recommend that you push though. The story isn’t perfect, but it’s good.

I can’t really defend (ha) Iron Fist, though I still watched it, mostly for the twinky Finn Jones.

by Anonymousreply 172July 9, 2018 1:24 AM

It’s not the “cultural parts” I didn’t like but it’s obvious you’re saying becsuse I’m white I didn’t get it. I didn’t like it because it felt like a sixteen year old boy writing about political corruption.

by Anonymousreply 173July 9, 2018 1:36 AM

Rachael rocking a real-world version of her Hellcat costume from the comics. The shades alone look very cat-like, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 13, 2018 5:28 PM

Third and final season coming June 14th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 28, 2019 2:21 PM

Trailer.

Looks pretty generic to me, though certainly better than the second season. The villain and her new squeeze are such AWGs, they have no charisma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 6, 2019 4:22 PM

R176 so no Luke Cage??

by Anonymousreply 177June 6, 2019 6:53 PM

He wasn't in the second season so I doubt he'll show up now. Reports online also suggest he's not in it.

by Anonymousreply 178June 6, 2019 6:58 PM

All episodes of the final season dropped yesterday. Anyone watching?

I'm three episodes in and I'm enjoying it so far. Same noir pacing of the first season, but more engaging than the second one. Seeing Hellcat in action is AMAZING. I want to watch her spinoff!

by Anonymousreply 179June 15, 2019 1:52 PM

Any excuse not to have a gay male character on these shows. Jessica Jones season 3 has a trans character

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 15, 2019 8:19 PM

Still holding out hope that there will be a gay male character by the end of the season. If there isn't, then the entire Marvel-Netflix franchise will have been completely devoid of even one prominent gay male character. Which is pretty damn pathetic.

I do love watching Jeri Hogarth flirt with her ex, and the trans character is pretty fab as well.

by Anonymousreply 181June 15, 2019 8:30 PM

It amazes me have John Benjamin Hickey can easily play a straight man

by Anonymousreply 182June 15, 2019 9:59 PM

r182 Hickey's gay?! Holy shit! Well, I'd never in a million years...

by Anonymousreply 183June 15, 2019 10:02 PM

So got to episode 6, and realized that the son of the woman Jeri was fucking was played by gay actor Michael Hsu Rosen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 16, 2019 8:47 PM

R176, 6’2” god Benjamin Walker is hardly an average white guy.

by Anonymousreply 185June 16, 2019 8:53 PM

He is a textbook AWG. I wanted to snap him in his shirtless scene and post it here, but even his body is so average and non-descript, I thought why bother. Even his fucking character is bland - a superpowered person whose superpower is getting a headache around "bad" people? Okay.

Height isn't everything. And his hair colour is way too dark on the show, which seems to be rampant in TV shows these days. Don't they do screen tests anymore?

by Anonymousreply 186June 16, 2019 8:58 PM

Well, the first half of this season was abysmal. Can't believe I have seven more episodes to go. Jeri's life slowly imploding is the only interesting thing to watch. And Hellcat's action scenes.

Anyway, the gay guy whom Jeri outed last season (played by Maury Ginsberg) has returned, so I guess he counts as the first prominent gay male character in these Marvel Netflix shows. Yay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 17, 2019 12:28 AM

Also, I didn't know until this season that Detective Costa is also gay. They even included an adoption storyline with his husband.

by Anonymousreply 188June 17, 2019 12:47 AM

Damn, I need to stay out of this thread until I finish the whole season. I like getting surprised by gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 189June 17, 2019 12:49 AM

The third season is terrific so far--I'm on episode 5. The villain is a good one (he's supersmart and so is always three steps ahead of Jessica and Trish, and he's REALLY gratuitously mean to them), and the humor is back.

The only thing I haven't liked is that many of the characters are always talking about what they';re going to do when they have sex--Malcolm and his girlfriend at work, and Sarrie-Ann Moss and Sarita Choudhury. I have no problem with watching TV sex, even among fiftysomething lesbian characters, but listen to them talk about it is both boring and off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 190June 17, 2019 12:52 AM

*Carrie-Ann Moss

by Anonymousreply 191June 17, 2019 12:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!