Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Okay bitches, lets discuss Rocky Horror Picture Show

I'm watching it now. Jealous much? But seriously, does anyone know how much it differs from the stage play? Am I the only DLer who loves this movie? Why didnt Barry Bostwick become a major star? He was soooo hot. A little hotter than Rocky, which is not an easy feet.

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2020 4:13 AM

His feet are easy?

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2015 12:43 AM

Barry Bostwick WAS a major star -- on Broadway. He originated the Danny role on GREASE before the Travolta movie.

He was never hotter than Peter Hinwood, so don't even go there. He was cast as Brad the nerd for a reason. But he's a very cool guy.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2015 4:58 PM

The major differences between the original stage play and the movie are that Trixie the Usherette is missing from the movie, as is Brad's musical number "Once in a While."

Stage revivals are constantly being performed with new and old twists. I'll be interested to see Richard O'Brien's latest stage version airing on BBC America this month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2015 5:03 PM

'I'm watching it now. Jealous much?'

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2015 5:04 PM

What version of ROCKY are you watching, OP?

The Blu Ray features the U.S. edit, the U.K. edit and it has features to add the NYC Audience Participation recording with Sal Piro as well as the 35th Anniversary Shadow Cast stage show.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2015 5:05 PM

Deleted "Once in a While" number:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2015 5:09 PM

[quote]He was never hotter than Peter Hinwood, so don't even go there.

I will also go there. Hinwood did nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2015 5:09 PM

R7, I didn't make him for you!

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2015 5:23 PM

When I first saw the film in a theater, everyone just watched and no one threw anything.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2015 5:42 PM

When/where was that, r9?

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2015 5:47 PM

Brad always had his socks on and Rocky wore boots. You never saw their bare feet.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2015 5:50 PM

Not R9, but that was the norm during the first run, before it became a midnight show.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2015 5:52 PM

Right, the movie flopped in its traditional release to scathing reviews.

But then Fox started booking it for midnight screenings and after a couple of years, a cult audience evolved around making fun of it.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2015 5:56 PM

[quote]I'll be interested to see Richard O'Brien's latest stage version airing on BBC America this month.

That must have been the one that was on Saturday night in the wee hours on BBC America. Professionally done, very scrubbed-up. Cast had great voices, but the costumes were disappointing and the set extremely minimalist, and whoever played Frank just attempted to recreate Tim Curry's interpretation.

Every appearance of the Narrator was done by someone different. Judging from the screams, they were familiar British personalities, but I only recognized Stephen Fry and Richard O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2015 6:07 PM

I have my DVR set.

But I love watching Sebastian La Cause's version!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2015 6:09 PM

Or this Mexican Rocky @ 32:50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2015 6:12 PM

Or this hot kid who popped a huge boner in his golden Speedo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2015 6:13 PM

Or this Rocky @ 19:15 from the Universal Studios tribute, Orlando:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2015 6:16 PM

Or Casey Kimble from the L.A. and Blu Ray shadow cast:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2015 6:20 PM

Or this alarmingly CRASS choreography:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2015 7:06 PM

What version did you watch, OP?

Have you seen it live, with audience participation?

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2015 10:54 PM

Old and tired

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2015 10:57 PM

I played Riff Raff - I have extraordinary cheekbones so I could imbue the character with venom.

Mary.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2015 11:30 PM

did you see this op

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2015 12:24 AM

Loved RHPS in high school, but I was stuck doing Columbia's part because I was the only one who could tapdance convincingly. My friend was a dead ringer for Riff Raff and played him for 2 years. Like Richard O'Brien, he is also fond of wearing women's frocks.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2015 5:44 AM

"popped a huge boner"

R17, you've never actually seen an erect penis, have you?

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2015 7:41 AM

OMG you can see that dude's junk swell after the girls start touching him, r26! Read the Youtube comments.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2015 3:39 PM

I just didn't get it at the time. Nothing weirder than queer straight people.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2015 5:19 PM

OP, how did you watch Rocky Horror? Have you seen it live?

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2015 5:44 PM

The 40th Anniversary stage version with Richard O'Brien is now on On-Demand from BBC America.

It's a pretty cheap production -- I hate the flat set pieces painted like cartoons. The cast is ugly with the exception of Rocky -- WTF? Most of the actors are too old for their parts, as well. No reinvention, either -- this show could use a radical reinvisioning.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2015 6:26 PM

I liked Frank N' Furter's performance, r14. His pervy giggles and butch factor were fun. Too bad he looks like an ape.

I recognized Stephen Fry and Richard O'Brien as the narrators. I guess Mel Giedroyc worked on French and Saunders. Anthony Head has been in a ton of big shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Percy Jackson, Repo! The Genetic Opera and Merlin -- but I didn't recognize him. He's the brother of Murray "One Night in Bangkok" Head!

And what was up with Sophie Linder-Lee's performance as Columbia? She played it like Bubble from Absolutely Fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2015 6:36 PM

Richard O'Brien is losing his singing voice, too. And Rocky was WAY off-key.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2015 6:37 PM

BTW, OP, the stage show doesn't include the cannibal supper, where Frank slices up roasted parts of Eddie and feeds them to the guests.

That's an embellishment of the movie, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2015 5:42 PM

This Rocky is a bee with a deadly sting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2015 3:40 PM

So who is the cutest Rocky ?

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2015 3:45 AM

The film version used to be on a double-bill with Phantom of the Paradise. Phantom's a better film with better music.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2015 3:54 AM

Yes, but you can't shout back to Phantom. I mean, you could, but it would be stupid.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2015 4:01 AM

@R18 I'll give you Rocky and take that Brad at the 18:00 mark. Right on time R8!

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2015 5:16 AM

Cutest Rocky @ r17.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2015 2:45 AM

R15's guy is hot, but he can't sing for shit!

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2015 5:30 AM

Never actually seen it. Do I lose my gay card?

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2020 4:03 AM

R41 No, you lose it for bumping this five year old thread when it’s been practically a week of lock out in prime time and there are important Heizer/Jessup, Madden/Froy and new canceled Lea threads that need feeding.

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2020 4:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!