Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Conan O'Brien

I just checked in on his show.

Still embarrassingly unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2015 5:32 PM

It's weird to see someone who is 52 still pretending he is 25.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2015 5:56 AM

Is he still on?

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2015 6:12 AM

I wonder if one day he realized that most of the support he got when he lost "The Tonight Show" wasn't because the media loved him, but because they hated Jay Leno. Conan was just the vessel through which they could express their contempt for Jay (not that he didn't deserve it).

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2015 6:23 AM

I don't watch Conan regularly, but often check out his clips on YouTube later and, frankly, I disagree. He was - at the time - completely wrong for the Tonight Show's M.O.R. elder-demo. I think if he'd inherited the Tonight Show at the time Fallon had he would have been far more successful with the franchise at that point. But, it does seem that without the network style pressures, he actually really came into his own on TBS. He seems so much more relaxed and comfortable. And Andy, who sometimes seemed a bit hamstrung on the original show, often gets in some of the best quips during interviews and bits. Whenever I'm stuck somewhere waiting, I know I can fire up Conan's YouTube channel and find dozens of very entertaining interviews and bits. And I say that as someone who had tired of his Late Night show on NBC and thought he was completely wrong for the Tonight Show.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2015 6:26 AM

The irony is that the episodes of [italic]The Simpsons[/italic] where he was a staff writer were among the best they ever did.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2015 6:27 AM

Thanks for your report OP keep us posted. That way I don't have to watch.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2015 7:17 AM

My favorite bit is "in the year 2000"!

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2015 9:16 AM

If Jay Leno had so much pull on NBC to get his Tonight Show gig back from Conan, then how did he lose it in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2015 11:08 AM

R4 you must have very low expectations for comedy. Conan O'Brien is one of the unfunniest people on TV.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2015 2:10 PM

I love him. Only Colbert is better.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2015 4:43 PM

I remember reading quips he allegedly made on his show which were so funny posted on various websites, but whenever I've watched the show he just isn't funny. He tries so hard, he looks like he's wearing out all his facial muscles. And Colbert is terrible since he moved to late night. Not funny and so awkward. Jimmy Kimmel's the only one worth watching now. Fallon's such a fucking suck-up.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2015 4:58 PM

R9 - I'm speaking specifically about the interviews, which are frequently very entertaining. And about the remotes like the one in which Conan and Billy Eichner explore Grindr. It's when Conan and his team/guests are kind of winging it that the show's the best. I haven't seen a monologue of his in years, but if you're talking about the more formally written parts of the show like the monologue or short in-studio bits, then, yeah, they're probably pretty middling. But, you could say that about all of the late night host monologues. Even Letterman's weren't that well written - was all about his delivery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2015 5:03 PM

For some reason, Conan is currently filming a couple episodes of his show in Armenia (of all places - I guess he must have followed the Kardashians over there, as the Kardashians also filmed a couple episodes in Armenia earlier in the year)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2015 5:03 PM

He needs a new hair piece. He's actually bald and goes t the same place as a friend of mine to get it styled and cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2015 5:19 PM

R1 As opposed to Fallon who acts like a 12 year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2015 5:30 PM

Colbert is good but they should get rid of the guy that dances around awkwardly like an elf playing that keyboard flute.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2015 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!