Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Attn New Yorkers: What does "full-service building" mean?

Flyover type.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2020 5:35 AM

$1,300 HOA per month

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2015 12:26 PM

That there's a Front Door Man AND a Back Door Man who respond appropriately to having their palm greased.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2015 12:54 PM

blow jobs on command

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2015 1:08 PM

Doorman (24 hours) AND a concierge / delivery person.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2015 12:26 AM

They don't just exist in NYC. Every major town has them. If you want/can pay for it you get your ass kissed 24/7. Nice way to live. I really like mine.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2015 12:50 AM

New Yorkers are lazier than other people in the country, so they pay for someone to open the door, walk the dog, and bring up their packages.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2015 12:54 AM

R5 - I agree - I like having my doormen and someone to get all of my deliveries. There's a drycleaner in my building and they'll wash your clothes and leave your laundry and dry cleaning by your door.

Also - I'll add that a full service building would also include 24 hour maintenance people. At least my building does. If you want them to change a light bulb - they'll do it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2015 1:01 AM

thorazine enemas on command.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2015 1:04 AM

[quote]Also - I'll add that a full service building would also include 24 hour maintenance people. At least my building does. If you want them to change a light bulb - they'll do it.

& what do you have to pay each month for all that?

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2015 1:58 AM

R9, if you have to ask. you can't afford it. Poor people irk me.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2015 2:09 AM

[quote]if you have to ask. you can't afford it. Poor people irk me.

Nonsense.

I live in London in A HOUSE.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2015 2:17 AM

Doormen, concierge

A concierge accepts packages for you from UPS , USPS and any other deliverers. They also accept some other deliveries. When I lived in my building, I would have my tailor pick up my laundry and suits. His employees would do the laundry, fold it and deliver it to my concierge while I was at work. I'd pick it up when I came home.

The concierge also contracts services. If you want maid service, windows washed, dry cleaning, you can go to the concierge and they'll get someone for you. No, they don't do prostitution.

There was also an ATM at the concierge office and luggage carts and garment racks that are useful when coming home from a vacation or a weekend away.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2015 3:25 AM

R9 - well, that would be an extra charge. Routine maintenance - clogged sink, slow drain, changing filters, any heating or a/c issues are covered. Having them change your light bulbs does cost extra - but there are some seniors in my building who need the extra help and don't want to get on a ladder.

R12 - we have an ATM as well and the garment racks come in very handy.

My HOA isn't bad - around $650 per month for a 1 BR, without parking.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2015 3:40 AM

[quote]New Yorkers are lazier than other people in the country, so they pay for someone to open the door...

Doormen are there for your SECURITY, and while they are there, they open the door for you! They are manning the door to check who is coming IN to make sure they belong there, not because people prefer not to open the fucking door! Boy, you really feel high and mighty with your shitty post, don't you?

I live in a full-service building in NYC, and it is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2015 5:15 AM

MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2015 9:54 AM

I know of doorman they open packages and keep what they like then tell you the package never came. They also expect to be tipped or many services, just don't happen. And don't complain about them, or "accidents" will happen and if you tell on them, accidents will just have a way of getting more serious.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2015 11:20 AM

[quote]I know of doorman they open packages and keep what they like then tell you the package never came.

Not very clever considering he's signing for it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2015 11:25 AM

No, he doesn't sign for it, he just makes a scribble on the package, if they ask for a name he gives a fake one.

You don't honestly think anyone at UPS, FedEx or USPS cares do you? He's been their for 15 years so he knows what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2015 12:15 PM

We have a 24 hour doorman, (5 full time employees to cover 24/7). We also have porters on duty 18 hours a day. They handle cleaning and garbage, etc. We also have a live in super which is required in all NYC buildings of a certain size or larger, to maintain the boiler and the manage the operations of the building. Our doormen don't steal from us. Never heard of such an incident in all the years I am here... and the lobby is fully covered by surveillance video anyway so it would be an easy thing to see if it happened.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2015 12:33 PM

[quote]My HOA isn't bad - around $650 per month for a 1 BR, without parking.

Hard to find that in NYC. The average seems to be $2500 a month going up.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2015 5:38 PM

R20 - correct, and that's why I don't live in NYC anymore. I'm in Chicago. However, I know people who pay $1200/month for 1 BR assessments here. Not $2500 - unless it's a super fancy co-op, not condo.

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2015 1:39 AM

I love R11 :)

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2015 1:52 AM

[quote] We also have a live in super which is required in all NYC buildings of a certain size or larger, to maintain the boiler and the manage the operations of the building.

Does he come in with his pass key?

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2015 5:08 AM

Yes, be sure to tip frequently and get to know your doorman. He knows everything. Don't hang around his station, but get on a first name basis with him. A larger tip or a gift at Christmas is good, too.

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2015 10:19 AM

I'm sure all your doorman were black and you thought you was a good mas'er for letting them do things for you for minimum wage. And the tip is just your white guilt release.

But all them darkies you saved from dem gangs is a gud thang right?

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2015 12:24 PM

Sorry to disappoint R25

Doormen are unionized and very few are black. Mostly Latino and Eastern European now, though still some Irish.

Most (but not all) full-service buildings are fairly large, so the doormen and concierges are kept pretty busy. Some older buildings have elevator operators as well.

The big draws are security and accepting packages. They'll also call you a cab if you want. Downside is you do need to tip and in a big building there can be lots of tips to hand out.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2015 12:48 PM

[quote]Doormen are unionized and very few are black.

I guess all those African Americans I walk past in Manhattan every day are really white. Time to get new glasses (rolls eyes)

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2015 3:37 PM

It's a building that comes with 24/7 glory holes, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2020 5:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!