Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Dean 1931-1955

James Dean died for our sins 60 years ago today: 9/30/55.

R.I.P.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 5, 2018 2:07 AM

Is it me, or does it seem like his legend has dimmed in the new millennium. I remember in the '80s and '90s he was as big as Marilyn and Elvis, but I don't see it anymore, whereas Marilyn and Elvis have since become almost mythical.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2015 3:44 PM

His legacy is much lesser than theirs.

Glowering, posing and pouting will only go so far.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2015 3:47 PM

He died for driving, blotto, badly.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2015 3:50 PM

You mean for the sins of Dr. Porsche.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2015 3:50 PM

Oh God, why did You have to take James Dean but leave us with James Deen?

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2015 3:53 PM

Any eldergays here who remember hearing the news?

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2015 4:48 PM

I know Marilyn had nose job, breast implants. ALL Gabor sisters, nose jobs but that one pic shown upthread..thats just not a natural looking nose. Looks tweaked.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2015 4:56 PM

I....I.....remember it.....like....like....it was.....yesterday. Everytime..... I.....look at his son ......that I bore. His cross-eyed son.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2015 4:58 PM

Where I live, they're doing a tribute and a free screening of [italic]Rebel Without a Cause[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2015 6:31 PM

[quote]Is it me, or does it seem like his legend has dimmed in the new millennium.

Yes, of course it has. From today's perspective he's just one more dead old movie star on a large heap of dead old movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2015 6:37 PM

[quote]I know Marilyn had nose job, breast implants.

Then you don't know much. Marilyn only had the bump at the tip of her nose removed; she didn't have her nose reconstructed, which is what a nose job is. There also is no evidence that she had breast implants, just hearsay. The only definite we have is the chin implant and electrolysis. The rest of the transformation (from girl next door to sultry blonde) was makeup and bleached hair.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2015 6:39 PM

R10 then how come Marilyn and Elvis continue to reign supreme?

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2015 6:39 PM

I reckon his legend has faded because he made only 3 films.

And also it's untrue that he was EVER as iconic as Marilyn or Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2015 11:01 PM

In a desperate attempt to make this thread about me, I need to report that James Dean and moi shared Planet Earth for 7 months in 1955.

I lasted, he's did not.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2015 11:07 PM

Last week Robert Osborn hosted a TCM program with Dean on television - Kraft Theatre, Philco Playhouse, US Steel Hour. On Studio One he appeared with Betsy Palmer. They lived together for eight months in New York.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2015 11:19 PM

Love his sausages!

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2015 11:34 PM

For whatever reason, R16's comment made me think of Emil Kolar haunting Christopher Moltisanti on the 'Sopranos.

[quote]I reckon his legend has faded because he made only 3 films.

Agreed, R1, when I was a kid in the 90s, he was still talked about, but his mystique has since faded away. I love [italic]Rebel...[/italic] and [italic]East of Eden[/italic], but never could get into [italic]Giant[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2015 11:44 PM

I'll never forget when he died because it was my 40th birthday and I loved James Dean. It was heart breaking to receive the news that he had tragically died especially on a day that's hard enough already -- your 40th. But, I celebrated with family and friends as I'm doing tonight and it turned out to be a wonderful evening after all. Just like tonight will be as well.

Cherish what you have, my friends! Life goes by so fast.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2015 11:44 PM

I recently looked online to stream "Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean" and was disappointed that I couldn't find it anywhere. I figured if it has Cher in it, it would have to be available. No such luck. Same thing with the movie " Plenty" with Meryl. Not available.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2015 11:53 PM

he died for our sins

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2015 11:56 PM

[quote]I'll never forget when he died because it was my 40th birthday and I loved James Dean.

You're 100 years old?

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2015 12:04 AM

R19 it's on YouTube in 11 parts:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2015 2:06 PM

You can watch PLENTY here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2015 2:07 PM

[quote]I'll never forget when he died because it was my 40th birthday

Well, happy 100th birthday to you, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2015 2:34 PM

thank you R21 and R24, I thought it was me.

Poster you're not 100, are you?

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2015 3:02 PM

R25 he said he was 40. Where are you guys getting the 100 from?

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2015 3:13 PM

r26 Re-read the first sentence of r18's post. All will fall into place.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2015 3:27 PM

i don't get it

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2015 3:32 PM

He's no Jack Kerouac

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2015 3:56 PM

R1 is right. In the 90s the 3 of them were as big. He got dropped somewhere along the way. On a personal level, he was the only one of the three who didn't strike a chord. Maybe others felt the same way. Or maybe he was just too 1950s in the end. The other two were about more than that. All three broke out in 1955, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2015 4:01 PM

He was probably the gayest of the three, that must be a big reason.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2015 4:10 PM

He's an extremely mannered actor.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2015 5:10 PM

"Mannered" is one of the most meaningless criticisms of an actor there is.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2015 5:28 PM

^ No, it's not, r33, because I know exactly what r32 means.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2015 6:47 PM

Gay stopped being fashionalble in the 00s, so maybe that's why his star dimmed.

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2015 7:07 PM

His performances sucked, but he had something about him.

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2015 7:19 PM

*sigh*

James Dean died in 1955 (60 years ago)

r18[quote]I'll never forget when he died because it was my 40th birthday

If r18 was 40 in 1955, he's 100 today.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2015 7:47 PM

I had a poster of him on my wall during the 90s in my angsty teen phase but today my teenaged nieces don't know who he is. Maybe he was too earnest for kids today who are jaded and live to troll 24-7. They might see "Rebel without a Cause" as a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2015 7:58 PM

I remember his image was iconic in the 90s, but most teens hadn't seen his films. When I saw Rebel Without A Cause in the mid-90s I found it very dated and boring. Whereas Marilyn and Elvis had a timeless quality - what they did still sounded and llooked fantastic 40 years on.

Maybe he was a great model for moody NYC pictures - not so much remembered as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2015 8:39 PM

There is no way 100 yr old person is posting DL. NO fkin way. that person was obviously much younger, but perhaps suffering from dementia.

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2015 9:28 PM

R37 I took R18's post to mean that Dean died on his birthday (September 30) and that yesterday marked R18's 40th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2015 9:34 PM

R41 Then how does that fit in with him receiving the news of Dean's death?

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2015 10:42 PM

I love his breakfast specials.

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2015 10:51 PM

I love his breakfast specials.

by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2015 10:51 PM

At the time, rumor was that Dean lost control of the car when Rolf Wütherich was giving him a blow job.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2015 10:55 PM

Aww...r26/r41 is not so good with the reading comprehension. Nonetheless, I'm guessing the 100 Year Old Poster is just ripe for being a new DL troll meme.

by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2015 11:03 PM

Get off my lawn

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2015 11:06 PM

James Dean had an iconic image.

Marilyn and Elvis had equally iconic images but far more iconic personalities.

And if truth be told I reckon Elvis is getting less iconic these days. Perhaps he will revive again in a couple of years when it is his 40th, but as his original fanbase is now dying of old age he is definitely fading.

Marilyn remains truly iconic - for her movies, her beauty, her background, her tragic life, her association with the Kennedys and the mystery surrounding her death.

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2015 11:08 PM

Where are my teeth? I hate when I step on my balls! Where's that Jamaican woman who washes me? In my day, we had tea parties and us fruits always dressed in the finest linens with real tar to slick down our hair, none of this polyblend crap and axe gel. I need help with the toilet. Tallulah Bankead stole a shrimp cocktail right off my plate once, but, it was acceptable as Lucky Lindy had just sailed the first balloon voyage to Saturn. Once, I saw Stalin at Macy's. He wore the finest linens and used real tar to slick down his hair.

by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2015 11:14 PM

Well someone has to bring up that DL un-favorite James Franco played Dean in a film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2015 11:15 PM

He looks nothing like James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2015 11:17 PM

The "100-year-old" DLer meme hasn't even launched and it's already tired.

by Anonymousreply 52October 1, 2015 11:31 PM

You'd be tired, too, if you were a century old. There's no pleasing today's young trash.

by Anonymousreply 53October 1, 2015 11:34 PM

Did his estate sue Porsche?

by Anonymousreply 54October 1, 2015 11:37 PM

Keep the 100 yr old eldergay meme going!

by Anonymousreply 55October 1, 2015 11:56 PM

I tried, r55, but no one is biting. I guess my sense of humor is too old for the room.

by Anonymousreply 56October 2, 2015 12:20 AM

And, apparently, I'm senile as I forgot the damn link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2015 12:21 AM

I couldn't get beyond the fact that the name of the idiot who killed him was Donald Turnipseed. It was a name straight out of Central Casting.

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2015 12:34 AM

"His legacy is much lesser than theirs."

Not really. He made three, count 'em, THREE movies and that was enough to cement his icon status for a lifetime. He was a lot more talented than Monroe. He can't really be compared with Elvis Presley because Elvis Presley was no actor, even though he made a slew of commercially successful movies. If he'd lived, he would have gone on to do great work, but who knows for how long. People who knew him said that due to his lifestyle (poor nutrition, smoking, not sleeping, etc.) he was already starting to look old even in his early twenties.

No doubt Elvis and Monroe get talked about more because they lived longer and their lives were so sleazy. And of course their ends were equally pathetic; obese Elvis dying of a drug overdose while seated on the toilet, Marilyn, with her hair all burnt up by the bleach and her fingernails dirty, dying naked and alone in a sad, cluttered bedroom, also of a drug overdose.

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2015 12:39 AM

I bet James Dean was one hot fuck.

But he prob'ly woulda made a shitty boyfriend, him bein' so moody and unpredictable and all...

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2015 12:43 AM

He looked old as fuck. Hard to believe he was only 24.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2015 12:47 AM

Everyone looked older back then, r61

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2015 12:49 AM

I was just writing the same thing as R61, can you imagine how decrepit he'd have looked at 40?

He looked fucking ancient at 24 compared to when he was in high school:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2015 12:49 AM

" I reckon his legend has faded because he made only 3 films.

And also it's untrue that he was EVER as iconic as Marilyn or Elvis."

"You reckon" wrong. His legend hasn't faded. Not at all. And that's one of the main things about his legend; he made only three movies and that was enough to make him one of the most memorable film stars in history.

He was, and is, as iconic as Marilyn Monroe or Elvis Presley, albeit in a different way. They were flashier personalities. But Dean had real substance and mystery. He was a lot more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2015 12:53 AM

R51 certainly more than Dane DeHaan, who plays him in an upcoming biopic, LIFE , about Dennis Stock, who photographed Dean for Life magazine, the year of his death.

Here's a still of DeHaan and Alessandra Mastronardi as Pier Angeli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2015 5:25 AM

Franco was a deadringer for Dean, IMO. Not an exact replica, but very close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2015 5:28 AM

Of the three, Marilyn is already the most iconic IMO. The reason is she has fans who were born 10, 15 years after her own death... I went to a colleague's house not so long ago and she had a massive Marilyn book on her coffee table. And this is not uncommon.

Also, I went to see Some Like It Hot at a Latin quarter cinema in 2002 or 2003, the house was packed and roaring with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2015 5:42 AM

On top of posters, magnets, dolls and other fan memorabilia, there are also a chain of Marilyn Monroe Spas and Marilyn Monroe Cafes, a line of Marilyn Monroe makeup at MAC, a line of Marilyn Monroe clothes at Macy's, and this year Max Factor chose her (instead of a live celeb) as their ambassador.

Not to mention that books about her keep being published every other year, as well as films being made. 4 years ago she was a featured character in the miniseries THE KENNEDYS and later that year she was portrayed by Michelle Williams in MY WEEK WITH MARILYN, for which she got an Oscar nod. In 2012, Cannes made her the face of the festival. In 2013, the documentary LOVE, MARILYN (which featured interviews with modern-day stars discussing her life and reading her diaries/letters) as released. This year, there was a TV miniseries THE SECRET LIFE OF MARILYN MONROE, and now Jessica Chastain is slated to play her in an upcoming big screen adaptation of Joyce Carol Oates' BLONDE

Also, a cartoon Mini Marilyn is set to debut in China and Southeast Asia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2015 6:02 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2015 6:21 AM

That picture at R69 isn't James Dean. I don't know why people would think it was. The guy doesn't resemble him at all.

by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2015 12:36 PM

[quote] . . . that was enough to cement his icon status for a lifetime.

Yes, an early death of a celebrity will do that.

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2015 8:31 PM

The thing is m. monroe and elvis were more popular in life than deen. James deen's death made him MORE memorable. Hell, he's the hollywood epitome of dying young and beautiful. His image is synomous with that. elvis was MJ BEFORE MJ, monroe madge before madge. They would have still been iconic if not for young tragic deaths. Deen would have simply grown to be a better looking Marlon Brando.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2015 11:41 PM

r72 it's james dean you capitalist pig! get his name right!

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2015 11:43 PM

he died so young how and why was he famous

by Anonymousreply 74October 3, 2015 12:44 AM

r74 crack open a book young whippersnapper

by Anonymousreply 75October 3, 2015 12:46 AM

Was the dude with him that survived Rolf Wütherich his bf? He never married

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 3, 2015 12:53 AM

R75 LOL I just checked on-line old fart!

by Anonymousreply 77October 3, 2015 12:54 AM

More from the 100-year-old meme.

by Anonymousreply 78October 3, 2015 1:21 AM

Dying prematurely also cemented Presley's and Monroe's icon status. Elvis, at the time of his death, was a joke; fat, over the hill, irrelevant. At the time of her death Monroe was an aging sex symbol whose career was fading fast. They both did the right thing by dying. It was a great career move for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 79October 3, 2015 2:43 AM

R79 got it.

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2015 2:52 AM

Apparently there is a Documentary about Tab Hunter in a few theaters, that should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2015 3:36 AM

I am thinking if Marilyn could have stayed off the drugs, she would have had a few years left. She was still beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 82October 3, 2015 3:39 AM

I bet he fucked around with the whore Marlon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 3, 2015 4:11 AM

In the '90s in LA, it used to be fun as fuck to come across young wanna-be actors with a James Dean complex. They were usually straight, but, you know, conflicted and hot and brooding. I loved it so much. You'd get into these intense conversations and sometimes you'd get lucky.

These days, wanna-be young actors don't know from James Dean and for the most part. And they all have sunny dispositions. Boring as hell. Even the hot ones are dull as dishrags.

by Anonymousreply 84October 3, 2015 4:19 AM

Check out Sal Mineo's Rebel screentest with Dean and Wood. I think it plays better than the real scene in the movie. Mineo seems to be already hopelessly in love with James Dean.

The gay subtext is very obvious here, but way toned down in the actual movie

WATCH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 3, 2015 7:34 AM

In the 70s and 80s James Dean was huge especially with teenagers. Teenagers could identify with him. His message of anti establishment was timeless,and his hair, clothes and the way he was in his real life he was ahead of his time. Many people in the Hollywood community back then thought he was a strange and an odd ball ,but he didn't care because apparently he did not like to hung out with the Hollywood crowd which he considered phony.

I have heard the younger people today couldn't careless about him because there isn't really anything to rebel about anymore because everything is open more acceptable ,and more supportive. However, the Millennials don't care about anything unless it is at the moment, the now. They don't care about the past ,and though technology is positive when used in the right prospective, technology has greatly damaged the younger generations in a great disconnection with interaction with society. It is escalating which everything they do has to be connected with some sort of technology and dominates their lives. Millennials, can't function without technology.

I once watched a documentary on Liz Taylor's life. She was interviewed and asked about James Dean. She said James told her things about his life while they were talking till the early morning the next day in their dressing rooms on the set of Giant. Liz turned to the camera and she laughed in a sly way saying, wouldn't you like to know! I guess she took it to the grave which was completely stupid of her because people wanted to understand him.

Carol Baker said she thought he was asexual.

I once read on a gossip sight many moons ago that James Dean looked to a minster for help and needed someone to talk to after his mother died because his father was a jerk. The minister took advantage of young James and molested him so they said his sexuality was confusing to him. That gossip came from the website no longer around called A-List gossip and who ever that person was got their gossip right always!

I once read an autobiography by John Gilmore who was a struggling actor in the 1950s in Hollywood. He had a small part in Rebel Without A Cause. John Gilmore said he knew James when they both live in New York sharing an apartment together. He said they both had sex with each other, but it was very casual. He said he and James were mainly into women. John Gilmore said all of those people in Hollywood years later who claimed they were friends of James Dean and they hung out with him were complete liars. John Gilmore said James Dean did not want to hang out with anyone from the Hollywood crowd because he thought they were phonies and he just couldn't connect with them. He said the only real friend of James was Martin Landau who was friends with James when James was starting out in New York.He said James liked to hang out with non Hollywood people. Also, he said James wasn't into motorcycles , etc. John Gilmore said that was all Hollywood PR. I highly recommend John Gilmore's autobiography because he is straight forward and there is no BS with him.

Has anyone heard that James Dean was gay because there has always been a jumble of claims, gay, bi, straight. I have heard from a couple of people who have read bios on James Dean who said James went on the casting couch BIG TIME ,and that was how he got all of the doors opened in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 86October 4, 2015 7:56 AM

Sad

by Anonymousreply 87October 4, 2015 3:57 PM

you can't compare Jimmy Dean to Elvis or Marilyn, his body of work/legacy is only 3 movies in the span of only one and half years!!! so the comparison is not fair at all....Also the reason he looked old at the time of his death because he had just finished his scenes in Giant playing the old Jett Rink..shaving his front hair line to look old for the part...if you watch him in Giant as the young Jett Rink..he looked young and his age.

by Anonymousreply 88October 6, 2015 10:35 PM

James Dean and Marlon Brando on the set of “Desiree”. 1954

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2015 5:26 PM

James and Sal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2015 5:27 PM

James Dean and Natalie Wood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2015 5:52 PM

Love this GIF.

Allegedly Richard Davalos and James filmed a scene in the bedroom that was so homoerotic that it was pulled and marked for the "destroy" bin. Then I did read that a copy of it somehow survived and would be shown at private parties attended mostly by Hollywood A-list gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2015 7:37 PM

He was really something. He had that charisma that all great movies stars have. His death was truly a tragedy; some people think the accident that killed him was his fault, but no, it was the driver of the other car that was at fault. He would have gone on to do more great work. He was born to play Hal, the juicy young drifter in "Picnic." He was a little small for the role (Hal was a football player in college) but he could have pulled that off. That dance scene in the movie version; can you imagine how sexy that would have been with James Dean instead of poor old William Holden, who was 16 years older than the character of Hal was supposed to be?

James Dean and Marilyn Monroe actually did meet briefly, at some Hollywood event. They apparently disliked each other on sight. Marilyn liked older men types, so Dean's boyishness didn't appeal to her. Marilyn was the stereotypical American blonde movie sexpot; Dean liked unusual, exotic women. Neither one was the other's cup of tea.

I've read a lot about Dean. From everything I've heard about him, he was bi-sexual. But he didn't become "involved" with anyone. He was too emotionally closed off to have an truly intimate love relationship with anyone. His affair with Pier Angeli has been grossly exaggerated, mostly by Angeli herself. Her "Romeo and Juliet" version of their brief relationship was mostly fantasy. She was a very disturbed person; she eventually committed suicide, supposedly despondent over her long lost true love, James Dean. But it was just a fantasy she held onto until her death.

by Anonymousreply 93October 10, 2015 3:10 AM

Hey, assholes, I ain't exactly chopped liver over here! I'm right up there in the iconic group and I didn't have to pull the early death stunt.

by Anonymousreply 94October 10, 2015 3:34 AM

You were saying, R94?

by Anonymousreply 95October 10, 2015 4:34 AM

I have read one book on Natalie Wood and RJ Wagner's relationship many moons ago. The author said he discovered James Dean was definitely 100% gay from his research on Natalie Wood who supposedly was friends of James.

by Anonymousreply 96October 10, 2015 7:01 AM

R96: What's the name of that book?

by Anonymousreply 97October 10, 2015 7:13 AM

Who was he supposed boy friend or who did he hook up with?????

by Anonymousreply 98October 10, 2015 7:18 AM

R97, the book is the following:

NATALIE & RJ, HOLLYWOOD'S STAR-CROSSED LOVERS, BY WARREN G. HARRIS by Natalie,WAGNER, Robert (Subjects);HARRIS, Warren G. (Author) WOOD (Author)

The book is OK. The author doesn't mention RJ Wagner's bisexuality.

by Anonymousreply 99October 10, 2015 7:36 AM

Personally - I loved R49.

Dean had a great look but he was also incredibly charismatic. You see it in those screen test clips - you are just drawn into him.

by Anonymousreply 100October 10, 2015 9:05 AM

I'm finally watching East of Eden - took me years to get around to it. I think Dean was one of the true greats - there was no one else like him on screen.

by Anonymousreply 101October 10, 2015 9:26 AM

"NATALIE & RJ, HOLLYWOOD'S STAR-CROSSED LOVERS"....with a title like that, it's a pretty safe bet that it's a worthless piece of trash.

Dean wasn't "exclusively" gay, no matter how hard some people try to make it seem like he was. He DID have affairs with women. He wasn't like Montgomery Clift, who had deep emotional attachments with women but preferred men for sex. Dean didn't seem to care much one way or the other for either sex. He "dabbled" in homosex like he dabbled in sculpting and bongo playing. It was no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 102October 10, 2015 7:22 PM

R102 Mhh okay, and his feelings for women were a big deal? Tsss, and being gay or bi means that you are emotionally attached to women.

by Anonymousreply 103October 10, 2015 7:38 PM

His body was incredibly mangled in the car crash.

by Anonymousreply 104October 10, 2015 9:25 PM

"Mhh okay, and his feelings for women were a big deal? Tsss, and being gay or bi means that you are emotionally attached to women."

No dear, his feelings for women weren't "a big deal." His romantic relationships tended to be superficial, with women AND men. And no, hon, being gay or bi doesn't necessarily mean someone is emotionally attached to women. But Montgomery Clift was. That was his torment. He loved women but didn't want to fuck them. He only wanted to fuck men.

by Anonymousreply 105October 10, 2015 10:17 PM

[quote]But Montgomery Clift was. That was his torment. He loved women but didn't want to fuck them. He only wanted to fuck men.

What does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 106October 11, 2015 11:53 AM

thanks, r93.

by Anonymousreply 107October 11, 2015 4:50 PM

For r106:

"He" is referring to Montgomery Clift.

"loved women" means he liked being around and being adored by women who had no chance of getting him in to bed.

"didn't want to fuck them." Should be self expanatory but....he did not like to have sexual congress with women because he was GAY!!

"He" is still referring to Montgomery Clift.

"only wanted to fuck men." Had no desire to fuck or be fucked by any human beings other than men. ( Because he was GAY!)

Does that help?

by Anonymousreply 108October 11, 2015 5:28 PM

Monty Clift hit on Frank Sinatra. That took BALLS.

by Anonymousreply 109October 11, 2015 5:30 PM

I remember they used to sell James dean posters at Target sometime during 2007/2008 but I haven't seen those posters being sold anywhere in forever.

I don't know who is in charge of his image but it doesn't really seem like they're pushing his image anymore.

I think the reason why most millennials don't relate to him is because his look is too 1950s. And I've never met a millennial who was an Elvis fan.

by Anonymousreply 110October 11, 2015 6:08 PM

Maybe because being alienated from society is the norm more than it was in the 1950s, James Dean doesn't seem so rebellious anymore.

by Anonymousreply 111October 11, 2015 6:19 PM

r108 and that translate into torment, Einstein?

by Anonymousreply 112October 11, 2015 8:49 PM

I think the reason why most millennials don't relate to him is because his look is too 1950s.

R110, I have to totally disagree with you. On the contrary, he looked like an average 20 something guy looks like today. James was ahead of his time. James didn't comb his hair and he mainly dressed very casual. He really didn't care what others thought about him. He had that certain anti establishment look while the norm back then were guys keeping up their appearances and looking well groomed and neat.

BTW, let me say something about Monty Clift since there is a conversation flow about his sexuality. Monty was considered not handsome, not a stud, but literally beautiful. Apparently between Monty's extreme beauty, and his knowledge on how to seduce men, he was able to seduce straight men. Supposedly straight men could not turn him down because he was beautiful. It seems to me Monty was a bottom.

R109, Monty didn't hit on Frank Sinatra. Monty hit on some guy at Sinatra's party and Sinatra went into a rage yelling at Monty to leave his home immediately. Frank Sinatra hated gay men immensely, and he was only friends with Monty for a short time because Monty was an extremely good actor and Frank was trying to learn from him. Frank was just using him ,and once he was done with Monty, he kicked him out of his life. I don't care how much money Sinatra gave to help fight AIDS, Sinatra hated gays big time! Frank Sinatra gave money away here and there and did others things to make himself look like a super guy to the public ,and he liked good PR for his public image.

by Anonymousreply 113October 12, 2015 8:05 AM

I like him in Rebel, but I don't think he's very good in East of Eden.

I feel like his future career was still up in the air when he died. He might have wound up playing Hud instead of Paul Newman, and gotten and Oscar.

On the other hand, he may have also wound up being limited. I think he'd have wound up playing Matthew Blasidel on Dynasty.

I think one thing's for sure. His dying absolutely made him a legend. If he'd lived to age 76 or so he'd be just another actor.

by Anonymousreply 114October 12, 2015 11:27 PM

Marry me, R108!

by Anonymousreply 115October 13, 2015 1:24 AM

Montgomery Clift was drop dead gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 13, 2015 1:49 AM

sal really wanted the d from james dean. i wonder if he ever got it.

by Anonymousreply 117October 13, 2015 1:58 AM

anthony perkins was really sexy too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 13, 2015 1:59 AM

He was gorgeous, but such a shameless ham.

"YER TEARIN' ME APAAAAART!!!"

by Anonymousreply 119October 13, 2015 1:59 AM

r119 did he say that to paul newman?

by Anonymousreply 120October 13, 2015 2:00 AM

Finally, R119.

He was a ham of the saltiest kind, and a few more years would have shown that he could be as bad as or worse then Brando.

Even when they were both young, Dean threw it in your face while Brando made you go to HIM.

by Anonymousreply 121October 13, 2015 7:36 PM

"He was gorgeous, but such a shameless ham.

"YER TEARIN' ME APAAAAART!!!"

That wasn't ham. It was intensity and vulnerability. It was the same in "East of Eden" when he breaks down and falls into his father's arm, which by the way was completely improvised by Dean.

by Anonymousreply 122October 14, 2015 3:41 AM

R118 Perkins was so much more attractive in motion than in still photographs. I never understood the appeal until seeing clips from Psycho... he was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 14, 2015 3:53 AM

R109 SIZE Queen Monty

by Anonymousreply 124October 14, 2015 4:09 AM

"Monty Clift hit on Frank Sinatra. That took BALLS."

I don't think he ever hit on Sinatra. I heard that he drunkenly made blatant advances towards a guy at a party Sinatra was having, and that Sinatra threw him out. I also heard that Monty helped Sinatra with his acting during the filming of From Here To Eternity. At any rate, a friendship between Monty and Sinatra was not meant to last. Sinatra did NOT like the gays.

by Anonymousreply 125October 15, 2015 2:53 AM

R125, see R113

by Anonymousreply 126October 15, 2015 3:01 AM

[quote]I like him in Rebel, but I don't think he's very good in East of Eden.

And yet, that year (1955) he was Oscar-nominated for EDEN instead of REBEL, which was weird, because REBEL was the bigger hit and Wood and Mineo were both nominated for it, so it was strange to not nominate Dean along with them.

by Anonymousreply 127October 15, 2015 5:58 PM

The woman who plays his mother is East of Eden is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 128October 15, 2015 10:08 PM

R128 For which Jo Van Fleet copped the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Check her out in "Wild River' too. A most underrated actor.

by Anonymousreply 129October 16, 2015 4:06 AM

Jo Van Fleet was amazing as Paul Newman's mother in "Cool Hand Luke." She's only onscreen for a few minutes, but she's unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 130October 17, 2015 3:10 AM

R125 LOL the gays???? THE!?

by Anonymousreply 131October 17, 2015 3:27 AM

People have told me I am the black James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 132October 29, 2015 11:17 PM

Dean idolized and copied Brando, though the admiration was not reciprocated.

By 1955 (the year of Dean's death), Brando was one of the top ten bankable stars and had been nominated for the Best Actor Oscar four years in a row: A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951), VIVA ZAPATA! (1952), JULIUS CAESAR (1953), ON THE WATERFRONT (1954). He finally won for WATERFRONT at the 27th Academy Awards held on March 30, 1955..

Meanwhile, Dean's first movie, EAST OF EDEN, was only just released in April 1955; REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE was slated for release in October (a month after his death), and he had just wrapped up GIANT, which would be released in October 1956, more than a year after his death.

Anyway, Dean attempted to call Brando and see him socially, but Brando rebuffed his attempts at bro-ship. “I gave him the name of a [psycho]-analyst, and he went," Brando wrote in his 1994 memoir, SONGS MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME. "At least his work improved." Snark!

by Anonymousreply 133October 30, 2015 7:10 AM

Brando was just as crazy as James Dean, if not crazier. I thought Dean was much more appealing. I think Brando may have been jealous of him. Sure Dean admired Brando, but he had star quality that Brando must have known he didn't possess. I think Brando knew James Dean would be strong competition.

by Anonymousreply 134November 8, 2015 8:51 PM

R134 I bet Brando fucked the shit out of Dean with his BIG COCK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 8, 2015 9:25 PM

young and pretty. not my type, but definitely pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 8, 2015 10:27 PM

R134 on what planet did Brando lack star power, again?

by Anonymousreply 137November 8, 2015 10:28 PM

Dean still outsells the vast majority of dead celebrities out there per these 2015 statistics of related merchandise sold:

Michael Jackson ($115 million) Elvis Presley ($55 million) Charles Schulz ($40 million) Bob Marley ($21 million) Elizabeth Taylor ($20 million) Marilyn Monroe ($17 million) John Lennon ($12 million) Albert Einstein ($11 million) Paul Walker ($10.5 million) Bettie Page ($10 million) Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) ($9.5 million) Steve McQueen ($9 million) James Dean ($8.5 million)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 8, 2015 10:33 PM

"On what planet did Brando lack star power, again?"

It's star QUALITY. It's something most actors, even good ones, don't have. Dean had it. Marilyn Monroe had it. When they were onscreen, you couldn't take your eyes off them; they eclipsed the other actors they were playing with. They had IT. Brando was never like that. But James Dean was.

by Anonymousreply 139November 9, 2015 6:22 PM

R138 I'm surprised that Audrey Hepburn never makes the list, considering that her sons whore her name/image out to hock chocolates and clothing. But I've been following Forbes list for years, and she never makes the cut. Then again, she never made Quigley's list in her lifetime, either. Each year, Quigley's, which has long been regarded as one of the most reliable barometers of a movie star's box-office power, releases an annual list of the Top Ten Movie Stars, but Hepburn never made the list, even at her height, and she's considered to be one of Hollywood's greatest movie stars. Maybe it was all smoke and mirrors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 9, 2015 9:15 PM

Audrey's 2006 GAP commercial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 9, 2015 9:17 PM

Quigley's lists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 9, 2015 9:20 PM

A. Hepburn did make the top 25 for several years from 1954 t0 1967, though the list here is incomplete. I suspect that she must have done well in 1964 on the strength of My Fair Lady, though we don't have the stats beyond the top 10 for that year. Overall she was probably was and is too patrician, gamine and European for mainstream America. Note how much better she did in the British polls...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 10, 2015 2:32 PM

R143 the sweet irony is that she replaced Julie Andrews in the film version of MY FAIR LADY, because she was considered a box office draw, and Andrews had never before made film, but in the end Andrews not only won the Oscar for her first film (MARY POPPINS), but she made Quigley's top ten list four years in a row, two of them at #1: 1965 (#4), 1966 (#1), 1967 (#1), 1968 (#3). In fact, Andrews was the last woman to top the list... until Julia Roberts accomplished the feat 32 years later, in 1999. Since Roberts, only Sandra Bullock (2009) and Jennifer Lawrence (2013) are the other women to have made #1.

Anyway, between 1964 and 1967, Andrews had a string of box office successes, including headlining the #1 movies 3 years in a row (MARY POPPINS in 1964, THE SOUND OF MUSIC in 1965, HAWAII in 1966), with MUSIC becoming the highest-grossing film of all time (beating GONE WITH THE WIND's 25-year record). Her other hits during that period also included THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY (1964), Alfred Hitchcock's TORN CURTAIN (1966), and THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (1967), which contributed to making her the most successful film star in the world at the time.

So it's funny that Warners passed Andrews over in favor of Hepburn just a few years prior, because he considered Andrews anathema and Hepburn a more sure thing, when, in fact, Andrews became a bigger movie star than Hepburn ever was.

by Anonymousreply 144November 10, 2015 5:26 PM

That ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 5, 2018 12:55 AM

Such a HAM.

by Anonymousreply 146June 5, 2018 12:56 AM

I stayed in the bungalow at the chateau marmont where he leapt through the window to get his audition for Rebel without a Cause.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 5, 2018 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!