Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indian Summers

New British drama starting on PBS tonight.

UK Dataloungers, is this worth checking out?

by Anonymousreply 36March 4, 2019 1:26 AM

thanks for the reminder - going to record it

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2015 1:56 AM

The colors look washed out, like an old photo album.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2015 2:03 AM

I'm watching now. Stumbled onto it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2015 2:21 AM

I have now identified my new fantasy boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2015 3:22 AM

So I'm assuming the sad, drunken, bespectacled cripple is the token gay, right? Of course. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2015 5:37 AM

The actors playing the sad, drunken, bespectacled cripple and his sister have the worst American accents. Why didn't they just hire Americans to play those parts?

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2015 5:41 AM

I want to rip Nikesh Patel's clothes off and do unthinkably nasty, sweaty things to his hot self. Damn he is hot.

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2015 6:06 AM

[quote]The actors playing the sad, drunken, bespectacled cripple and his sister have the worst American accents

Now I want to watch it for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2015 9:57 AM

It's "The Jewel in the Crown" meets "White Mischief." Hair and costume details were "off" (for 1932). Julie Walters hams it up. It's not very good.

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2015 10:45 AM

Not good, melodrama-galore, cartoon like characters, Julie Walters in need of better direction or a straitjacket. That and they filmed it in Malaysia...what a bunch of phony poseurs.

The whole things stinks like fish on ice.

Makes Jewel in the Crown look like Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2015 1:30 PM

It's very muddled... bad direction.

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2015 1:43 PM

I actually enjoyed it and will keep watching. You people take it too seriously. How can you enjoy any show when you're too busy tearing it apart for acting, locale, direction and story? Its passable entertainment, folks, and not meant to be Shakespeare or another Jewel in the Crown.

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2015 1:50 PM

And R12, it looks beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2015 1:52 PM

The characters are supposed to be British. Who else thought there was something weird about the brother's relationship with his sister? And his "servant" who was washing his fingers?

It was very slow and I was about to say one episode and done. But the ending offered up enough questions to make me interested in watching the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2015 2:55 PM

Why don't they just fucking hire Americans for American roles? Their accents are weird. There's got to be enough out of work actors they could get cheap.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2015 4:56 PM

I didn't understanding the relationships. Who is the Asian woman who helped the bearded dude rescue the little boy? Just a woman who was on the train or did they know each other?

by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2015 5:25 PM

[quote]Why don't they just fucking hire Americans for American roles? Their accents are weird. There's got to be enough out of work actors they could get cheap.

You could the same, but the other way round.

by Anonymousreply 17September 28, 2015 5:26 PM

She works at the orphanage with him.

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2015 5:26 PM

The sets and costumes are beautiful, just don't expect too much of the story.

by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2015 5:31 PM

Thanks R18. I think I'll stick with it. It's not the kind of thing I'd binge watch but once a week might work.

by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2015 5:46 PM

[quote}The characters are supposed to be British.

Not Madeleine and Eugene "Weak, Drunk, Bespectacled" Mathers. They're both supposed to be Americans. But they're played by Brits who can't quite get the hang of the American accent.

"Madeleine Mathers: The daughter of a wealthy American industrialist who has arrived in India to look after her sick brother, Eugene."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2015 2:24 AM

was released earlier in the UK. already issued for a 2nd series. I would have deep meaningful sex with both Nikesh Patel and tHenry Lloyd-Hughes

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2015 3:15 AM

It sucks. Richard E. Grant's daughter is especially dire. Shame, I LOVED The Jewel In The Crown, which had the right mixture of trash and soul. Art Malik and Tim Piggot-Smith were the shit.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2015 8:40 AM

Olivia Grant looks nothing like a 1930s American woman. And she has zero sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2015 9:42 PM

Ok, I watched it and I don't know if I can stick with it if Olivia Grant is in every episode. I find her repulsive. She makes my skin crawl. I feel sorry for Devil Ralphie for having to fuck her. She is a milkily translucent reptile.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2015 11:35 PM

If Ralph Fiennes and Jon Hamm had a son together he would look like Henry Lloyd-Hughes.

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2015 11:44 PM

So many handsome men. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2015 6:34 PM

Slow and tedious. I'm not sure if I can expect much from this storyline. I'm still in the first episode from last week - does everything have to be SUCH a fucking mystery? God.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2015 1:12 AM

Are we supposed to find tne blonde Englishwoman sympathetic? She's a nasty snob. I'd leave her if I were her husband, for being such a snotty little twat.

And I guess we know why she's in India now, right? Her brother asks her in episode 2 why she is there. The answer seems to be so that she can fall instantly in love with a brown man she's never heard speak and who she knows nothing about because .....why? I guess to make drama.

Is every period drama going to be like Downton Abbey now? Pointless plot lines, snooty upper class bitches we're apparently supposed to give a shit about, and tje wild anachronisms shouldnt bother us because oh, look at tne costumes and scenery!

"Oh, I don't care if it's plodding and stupid or senselessly out of touch with the attitudes of the time period they're supposedly living in. I just want to look at clothing and greenery and pretty furniture!"

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2015 2:04 AM

And why is this Parsi family living in such poverty? Parsis were wealthy by the time this story takes place. They were the go-betweens for The British and the Indians. The British did not treat Parsis the same as they treated other Indians. Parsis were disgusted by the caste system of the Hindus and the intolerance of the Muslims. Parsis felt more aligned to the British. They learned the English language very quickly and became educated and anglicised. Yet they show this Parsi family living like Hindus or Muslims in a few small rooms without any modern conveniences, and Aafri is treated like a non- Parsi Indian when he is wounded.

That's just silly.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2015 8:37 PM

I always feel like ...nobody's watching me

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2015 8:42 PM

Beautiful sceneries

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2015 11:00 AM

Very cliche, I got bored after 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2015 11:12 AM

[quote]Why didn't they just hire Americans to play those parts?

Extreme protectionism in the UK film/television industry -- they make it next to impossible for a foreign actor to get work.

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2015 1:04 PM

Old thread but I just watched this.

Something very sexy about Henry Lloyd-Hughes.

What do British DLers know about him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2019 11:40 PM

Did they ever wrap up the story? I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 36March 4, 2019 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!