Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'45 Years'...a new film starring DL fave Charlotte Rampling & directed & written by Andrew Haigh (director of Looking)

Will you go see it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 1:59 AM

Trailer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2015 5:24 PM

I don't attend movies anymore. Moviegoers are just sitting ducks for psycho gunmen. Plus my house is nicer then most movie theatres.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2015 5:32 PM

R2 = Man Of The Times.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2015 5:51 PM

I adore Charlotte Rampling. That is what a beautiful woman looks like without plastic surgery. A bit of a wreck but it's a glorious wreck and you can see her life in her face. I'm glad she is still getting work.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2015 6:07 PM

Who doesn't love a bit of this dame. Magnificent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2015 6:10 PM

I may watch Zardoz again. Just to see Charl at her peak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2015 6:11 PM

Or was Angelheart Voodoo priestess her peak?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2015 6:12 PM

Radiant, fragile beauty in Visconti's The Damned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2015 6:14 PM

Dear god who wants to see this old geezer in his underwear. Revolting. And Rampling desperately needs to g under the knife. Decades of drink and smokes are etched in her face.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2015 6:16 PM

Quite the rug here on the head of her ex, Jean-Michel Jarre

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2015 6:17 PM

Your brain needs to go under the knife R9. So a quality threshold can be implanted.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2015 6:18 PM

I don't think she's aged well. I saw her in The Spy Game a decade or two ago and almost fainted. Actually, I didn't recognize her initially. But I don't think the knife is her only solution. She appears to have lived the life she wanted to live and has continued to act, so good for her.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2015 6:19 PM

Sez who she hasn't had procedures? I would guess she's had her neck done at least.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2015 6:36 PM

One of the very few of her vintage who's had no discernible work done.

I would pay to see her read the phone book.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2015 6:47 PM

For fans of Haigh's earlier film 'Weekend' this is apparently the sequel - so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2015 6:51 PM

I'll be there - love Courtenay and Rampling.

Frankly, I'd love to see Rampling and Helen MIrren team up. I think they'd make an interesting pair.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2015 6:56 PM

I cannot wait until you guys reach your 60s and think about some of the things you are saying. If you are lucky you will live to 60 and beyond- and you will change- a lot- if you are really lucky you will remain good looking if you ever were in the first place. Suggest you start exercising on a daily basis and maintaining a stable weight over decades to maximize the chances your face remains somewhat the same. Works 100% better than surgery and fillers and botox.

And if you live- you have no guarantee of being the dewy lovely handsome hunky you of your vaunted prime. And you will love it when you go to a movie about people who are over the age of 50 let alone 60 or 70. Sex and desire and loneliness and anger and joy do not stop at 50, or 40; and become infinitely more interesting due to experience and the compression of time. You'll see- if, you are lucky.

Charlotte Rampling remains a compelling wonderful woman and actress conveying life after youth, which of course comprises about a third of a normally long-lived life.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2015 6:59 PM

This is actually a very good film.

It's slow moving and without much of a plot but Rampling and Courteney give wonderful performances - very moving and subtle and heartbreaking. You really get the sense of loss and regret and waste that growing old brings.

And yes Rampling looks her age - she's almost 70. But she is still a very attractive woman.

Don't go see it if you only want to see young pretty people - this film is about being old and past it. The sex scene where Courtenay can't stay hard is more sad than gross.

I reckon both leads deserve awards for this.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2015 8:53 PM

"Frankly, I'd love to see Rampling and Helen MIrren team up. I think they'd make an interesting pair."

YES!! From your lips to some director's ear.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2015 8:57 PM

You sad fucks who think plastic surgery overrides talent need to get over the era that we are in and appreciate meaningful living.

Charlotte Rampling shows us how great beauty changes with age. She still works because she still looks like a real person. She has always been gorgeous, enigmatic, and magnetic on the screen.

Carving up her face would be ruinous.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2015 9:11 PM

Those Euro actresses know what they are doing. Deneuve still looks ravishing but she is a it more jowely and a bit less lean. No knife work. Even a n American actress like Eva Marie Saint, who is probably 90, has all her wrinkles and looks as shiny as ever. (Love her in Waterfront).

I love films about people who have lived a life

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2015 11:10 PM

Oh Catherine Deneuve has absolutely had knifework - it's just quite subtle.

Not sure if Rampling has - if she has I reckon it's only to have her eyes done.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2015 11:13 PM

R22 is right, there has been plenty of work on Deneuve's face. There is a long-standing rumor that she had a fine mesh screen sort of thing attached under her face and that's what has been holding it up all these years. I have no idea if that's even a real procedure. Whatever she's done, she hasn't overdone it.

Rampling really hasn't done a thing as far as I can tell. She looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2015 5:49 PM

Catherine Deneuve a certainement eu recours à un rafraîchissement!

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2015 5:54 PM

"Dear god who wants to see this old geezer in his underwear. Revolting. And Rampling desperately needs to g under the knife. Decades of drink and smokes are etched in her face."

Spoken like a stereotypical dumb American.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2015 5:59 PM

I was the one who was shocked by her appearance 20 years ago. That doesn't mean she needs to get plastic surgery. Her face is crepey and saggy from smoking but she can definitely act. I think Helen Mirren looks better for her age, but I hadn't seen her in films when she was younger.

Oh, and Deneuve didn't have mesh. She had her face sewn up with 24 carat gold thread as a lift. It is hypoallergenic and the dainty stitches disappear with healing, apparently without scarring. Looks much more natural than the traditional facelift.

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2015 1:35 AM

And, of course, the Academy will ignore Rampling again while gushing over yet another Jennifer Lawrence 'performance' this year.

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2015 1:50 AM

Anyone else seen previews of 45 Years yet? I guess it's opening wider Dec 23 in the US. I love Charlotte Rampling, was bored to tears by Weekend, but unabashedly loved Looking. Odds are, this should be an enjoyable evening in the cinema for me.

Film's currently got a 92% rating on Metacritic. I wonder if momentum can build for Rampling in the lead up to the Oscars. They do occasionally surprise with a nominee who didn't make the cut at SAG or the Globes. She's already won the Berlin Film Festival, Boston Film Critics Cir and LA Film Critics Cir awards.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2015 6:27 AM

[quote]It's slow moving and without much of a plot

Has Andrew Haigh done anything other than slow moving without much of a plot? Seriously, has he?

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2015 6:31 AM

I know we're all chattering about Charlotte Rampling's foot-in-mouth disease today, but thought it was worth mentioning Andrew Haigh's new project... a biopic of Alexander McQueen. Nice to see Haigh working so much. V. talented guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2016 10:26 PM

[quote]Nice to see Haigh working so much. V. talented guy.

He did a thing called 'Looking' that was awful.

Haven't seen this 45 years movie.

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2016 10:30 PM

An amazing film that stays with you long after it ends. It builds slowly, but by the time the big revelation happens I was completely shocked and shaken (just like Rampling's character).

Rampling is superb. It was quite surprising to see her character cracking emotionally; it's not the kind of part that you often (if ever) see her play. As an actress she internalizes quite a bit, but in this film she lets the facade break and she is heartbreaking. It is an Oscar worthy performance.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2016 10:46 PM

DL fav CR? Why do you say-DL fav?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2016 10:54 PM

Ugh. R33. Are you going to post that GIF in every thread?

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2016 11:05 PM

Let me guess, R33 doesn't watch subtitles movies.

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2016 11:07 PM

It's available on iTunes in England....probably where you are too.

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2016 11:09 PM

"Subtitles movies"? What are you, eight years old? Do you mean "Foreign films"? (Or, if you want to be less Anglo-centric, "non-English-language films"?)

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2016 11:46 PM

I don't see what's so juvenile about "Subtitles movies"?

[quote]Do you mean "Foreign films"? (Or, if you want to be less Anglo-centric, "non-English-language films"?)

Who cares, it was very clear what he meant. You're the one who sounds like a dick.

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2016 11:54 PM

For one, it should be "subtitled movies." And secondly, it's not a genre!

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2016 12:11 AM

Here in England it would described as 'films with subtitles'.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2016 12:21 AM

Most non-Americans would simply think in terms of "French cinema," "Chinese cinema," "Korean cinema," etc.

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2016 7:14 AM

Are there any darkies in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2016 7:47 AM

Andrew Haigh, flop director.

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2016 8:51 AM

Haigh originally wanted a long term gay couple played by Finney and Courtenay. The Dresser reunion. But eldergays don't care to see themselves as blustery whale and wrinkly sod. (Also, no paper, no "social critique" for an awardbait.)

TLDR white Charlotte got the job.

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2016 9:00 AM

Saw the movie on an online streaming site. Somnambulant would be an accurate description of the film, which consists of 1 hour and 35 minutes of talk, emote, more talk, more emote, Rampling walking dog. It made me realize that films about mannered, elderly Brit couples are not for me.

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2016 9:05 AM

[quote] elderly Brit couples are not for me.

This is white racism!

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2016 10:07 AM

R46 And ageism!!

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2016 10:11 AM

[quote]which consists of 1 hour and 35 minutes of talk, emote, more talk, more emote, Rampling walking dog. It made me realize that films about mannered, elderly Brit couples are not for me.

The French are much better at this sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2016 10:54 AM

Rohmer sux aardvark dick. I sat through his B-O-R-I-N-G films to improve my French.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2016 11:15 AM

Boring? You Philistine!

The Green Ray Synopsis:

Delphine's traveling companion cancels two weeks before her holiday, so Delphine, [bold] Parisian secretary,[/bold] is at loose ends. She doesn't want to travel by herself, but has no boyfriend and seems unable to meet new people. A friend takes her to Cherbourg; after a few days there,[bold] the weepy and self-pitying Delphine[/bold] goes back to Paris. She tries the Alps, but returns the same day. Next, it's the beach: once there, she chats with an outgoing Swede, a party girl, and a friendship seems to bud; then, suddenly, Delphine bolts, heading back to Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2016 11:26 AM

R50 There are FAR better directors who tell a good story while reflecting both the French and human condition. Cocteau, LaConte, Truffaut, Malle, Polanski, Resnais, Rivette, Tabernier, Blier, Chabrol, even Demy do it masterfully and don't put you to sleep in the process.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2016 11:35 AM

[quote]Rohmer sux aardvark dick. I sat through his B-O-R-I-N-G films to improve my French.

I learned how to smoke watching those movies throughout the 1980s. French, not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2016 11:41 AM

Go? Go see her film?? NO! We will not go. To go is to beg. To go is to grovel. And we DO NOT beg or grovel. Well, not out of the bedroom with our 'special friend.' The simple fact that Will Smith was NOT in this film is racism!

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2016 12:45 PM

I liked it but can someone tell me why Rampling all of a sudden gets angry at her husband at the end?

by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2016 7:25 AM

If you have a passing knowledge of the lyrics of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", you'd be immediately curious as to why they'd deem it a wedding song. There's enough in the film to suggest it was "their song" kind of ironically or as a private joke, as they are both (still) trying to quit smoking and Geoff first met Kate in a nightclub with a ciggie hanging out of his mouth. Nonetheless, here are the bridge and final verse.

[quote]So I chaffed them and I gaily laughed To think they could doubt my love Yet today my love has flown away, I am without my love (without my love) -------- Now laughing friends deride Tears I cannot hide So I smile and say When a lovely flame dies, smoke gets in your eyes

As the song progresses, it occurs to Kate that with this song, Geoff let "his Katja" invade even their wedding 45 years ago, and she has being hanging about like a spectre ever since without Kate's knowledge. That scene fucking killed me.

by Anonymousreply 55November 13, 2016 12:42 PM

That whole 'party' sequence is astonishingly good. The way Rampling looks at the photo board Geraldine James' character has made for them, realising the last 45 years have been a lie.... her reaction to his speech, the way she tears her hand away when they dance, in that blue light... just brilliantly simplistic and powerful acting, directing, and writing.

by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2016 1:52 PM

I think she liked his speech... but at that point it wasn't enough...

by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2016 1:54 PM

Courtney seems to be getting senile to me.

He's lost the ability to act. I almost felt him reaching for the words. He came across as wooden. There was no sense of intimacy between them so I couldn't feel for their sense of loss.

I liked the English countryside settings very much and the atmosphere of their rural home - but otherwise I thought it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2016 3:50 AM

It was like watching paint dry. Ugly paint.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2016 6:12 AM

Rampling and Courtenay? Yes, of course I'll see it.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2016 6:51 AM

Watched the movie tonight. The ending destroyed me. Superb and subtle.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2017 2:29 AM

Just finished the film. Rampling and Courtenay are pretty devastating. It's a very slow film, but Rampling carries the entire thing with her face. Courtenay is now 80, and his character is supposed to be a bit doddering. He is great - sad, regretful, evasive, and angry - even in an enfeebled state.

This may be my favorite Charlotte Rampling perforamance ever.

by Anonymousreply 62May 20, 2017 10:32 PM

A useful YouTube video of the author of the original story David Constantine reading it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 9, 2019 11:18 PM

The ending of this film was heart-breaking. Her quiet devastation is an image that will linger in my mind. She should've kept her mouth shut about "Oscars So White", and she might've nabbed an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2019 12:07 AM

R24

Bel euphémisme!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 1:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!