Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Massive Oscarbait collapse in progress at this September's film festivals

Lukewarm to negative reviews greet high-profile Oscarbait projects including Tom Hardy's "Legend", Tom Hiddleston's "I Saw The Light", Bryan Cranston's "Trumbo", Ben Foster's "The Program" (Lance Armstrong pic), Julianne Moore's "Freehold", and Elle Fanning's "About Ray".

Additionally, Oliver Stone's Edward Snowden biopic just pushed to 2016 out of Oscar race.

by Anonymousreply 308April 6, 2021 10:40 PM

Heavens to Betsy and Murgatroyd!

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2015 3:48 PM

Thanks, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2015 4:00 PM

Jesus Christ, no!! No, no, no, no!! How can we live??

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2015 4:11 PM

Hopefully, this means that earlier 2015 releases such as "Mad Max: Fury Road," "Ex-Machina" and "Testament of Youth" will be part of the awards circuit this winter.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2015 4:14 PM

Does this mean that the best picture contenders will be Jurassic World, Ant Man, Avengers 2, Furious 7 and Fury Road?

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2015 4:16 PM

Mad Max won't win shit

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2015 6:34 PM

But it might be nominated. Stranger things have happened.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2015 6:48 PM

Is "The Program" about potential gay lovers facing the obstacle of different majors/programs? /

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2015 2:23 AM

I think that was actually "The Book Resale"

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2015 8:12 AM

It's all about Steve Jobs and Michael Fassbender this year.

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2015 8:56 AM

Testament of Youth was terrific. I would love to see it get some awards love.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2015 11:05 AM

Link, please, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2015 11:05 AM

I'm still laughing that anyone truly thought JGL had a chance at winning anything. Maybe ten years ago before he turned into a smug cunt who actually put effort into his work, but not now.

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2015 2:00 PM

*when he actually

by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2015 2:00 PM

The Snowden biopic is in editing hell at the moment, hence the pushback.

by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2015 2:38 PM

R15 - Does that mean it sucks or is that just something that happens?

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2015 2:44 PM

This year it's all about THE DANISH GIRL starring Academy Award® winner Eddie Redmayne! No doubt Eddie's second Oscar will be handed to him by Caitlyn Jenner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2015 3:32 PM

Mad Max will probably be nominated for Best Makeup.

It deserves Costume, Art Direction and Cinematography, too. Could get a Visual Effects nom.

So don't underestimate, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 18September 23, 2015 3:42 PM

[quote] Does that mean it sucks or is that just something that happens?

Not usually a good sign, no. The Walk is supposed to be good, so I wouldn't count Joe out yet.

[quote] Mad Max will probably be nominated for Best Makeup. It deserves Costume, Art Direction and Cinematography, too. Could get a Visual Effects nom. So don't underestimate, bitches.

I agree. The Cinematography was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 19September 23, 2015 3:45 PM

Gordon-Levitt isn't a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 20September 23, 2015 3:46 PM

R20 - He was before he got full of his own shit. Now he's just smug and horrible.

Hey, what's with the kinder attitude, JGL Source? Did he let you suck him or something?

by Anonymousreply 21September 23, 2015 3:48 PM

I just heard The Walk was good. I was surpised actually, because his accent sounded awful in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 22September 23, 2015 3:50 PM

I scream with TRANS POWER!!!

by Anonymousreply 23September 23, 2015 3:52 PM

A lot of supposed contender films have yet to open, such as "Spotlight"; "Beasts of No Nation"; "Brooklyn"; and "Room". Then there are the standard Oscar-bait crapfests like Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies" and Tarrantino's "The Hateful Eight".

by Anonymousreply 24September 23, 2015 3:56 PM

Room is definitely going to be a contender.

by Anonymousreply 25September 23, 2015 3:58 PM

Regarding The Walk, why would anyone want to watch a CGI-fest when we have a documentary with real footage of it happening? It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 26September 23, 2015 4:10 PM

R26 - Exactly. Same with the Snowden biopic - we have Citizenfour, why do we need a film with mediocre actors in it?

JGL was blatantly chasing the statue, after always proclaiming himself above it. I remember him saying he thought film making shouldn't be competition, but like everything he says, it was bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 27September 23, 2015 4:13 PM

"The Interview" will get a couple of nominations. Anne might get in for Best Actress. DeNiro for Best Actor. Rene Russo possibly for supporting actress.

Katharine Heigl has a lesbian movie out that will most likely get her a Best Actress nomination as well/.

Sandra Bullock might be getting her third nomination with Our Brand is Crisis.

Some say Blanchett for Carol, but her bitchy behavior last time might not go unnoticed. There are more worthier performances anyway. And she's gotten sloppy as an actress.

Rounding out Best Actress could be Alicia Viklander and Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 28September 23, 2015 4:25 PM

I mean "The intern"

by Anonymousreply 29September 23, 2015 4:29 PM

I wouldn't count out Lily Tomlin in the best actress race. Her performance in Grandma was uniformly praised by critics, and the film has turned a tidy little profit in limited release so far ($5 million on a $600k budget) with almost no major advertising.

by Anonymousreply 30September 23, 2015 4:55 PM

[quote] Katharine Heigl has a lesbian movie out that will most likely get her a Best Actress nomination as well

Honey, what universe do you live in? That movie was a day and date theatrical/VOD that made about 5 cents, and it came out months ago. They have no money to launch any campaign, even if they had a prayer in hell of getting her a nomination for a performance no one is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 31September 23, 2015 4:59 PM

I just got home from seeing "Grandma". Tomlin is terrific and definitely awards-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2015 12:19 AM

Any reviews or news about Jolie Pitt movie?

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2015 12:49 AM

The Room is really good and the two main leads deserve some sort of recognition, though likely any nods will go to the better known supporting cast. Spotlight was really good as well even if obvious Oscar bait. Ruffalo might g e t another nomination he won't win and maybe they'll do something to make up to Keaton for last year.

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2015 1:06 AM

Yes, Tomlin was good in Grandma, but it was such a minor movie and something like 75 minutes long. I don't think it stands a chance of getting nominated for anything.

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2015 1:12 AM

[quote]I just got home from seeing "Grandma". Tomlin is terrific and definitely awards-worthy.

"Grandma" is a largely forgettable little film with lazy writing and forced emotions. And there is nothing at all outstanding or memorable about Tomlin's performance. She's not terrible but I've seen her much better in other films. This would be one more example by the Academy of a purely sentimental nomination and/or win.

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2015 3:48 AM

Spotlight is by far the film with the biggest post-festival buzz.

One of the NYPOST.COM writers said in a Tweet, a lot of the buzzed about films are turning out to be "good"....meaning nothing special or awards-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2015 4:16 AM

I think Tomlin is a tremendous performer, but I've never thought her acting in naturalistic roles was a strong as everyone else seems to. I know people raved about her work in "Nashville," and the scene where she is listening to Keith Carradine singing "I'm Easy" had quiet power to it. But she seems a bit forced when she is acting in a drama or comedy written by someone other than her or Jane Wagner. Her "Search for Signs" on Broadway was marvelous, but it didn't resemble naturalistic acting--nor did it need to: it was sui generis. She is excellent when she only needs to sustain a character for the length of a scene or sketch--and, hence, that's why she's perfectly fine on "Grace and Frankie," where she mainly has some scenes and gets to do an interesting variation on the ditsy hippie ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2015 4:29 AM

[quote] "Grandma" is a largely forgettable little film with lazy writing and forced emotions. And there is nothing at all outstanding or memorable about Tomlin's performance. She's not terrible but I've seen her much better in other films. This would be one more example by the Academy of a purely sentimental nomination and/or win.

She got an Emmy nomination for her utterly dreadful performance in the even worse Grace & Frankie, so don't count her out for this.

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2015 4:55 PM

Dame Maggie will probably take Best Actress. The Academy knows this will probably be the last chance to honor one of the world's great actresses and she only has two Oscars (one supporting).

Blanchett's behavior has got to be an issue. The outing and inning, the continual bitchy comments about other actors, the tacky way she attacks interviewers who annoy her. She doesn't come off like a diva who must be indulged, just a bitchy woman full of resentment. A sore winner. Everybody hates that.

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2015 5:04 PM

Why would anyone want to watch CGI instead of the real thing? Because it's a creative interpretation, bitches! Plus, in 3D, JGL will drop in our laps.

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2015 5:04 PM

R41 - No thanks. Hypocrites don't give me a boner.

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2015 5:05 PM

If a guy is hot, I get a boner. Plus, he would be a good hate fuck.

by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2015 5:13 PM

R40, just because you hate Cate Blanchett, that doesn't mean everyone else does.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2015 5:22 PM

Blanchett won't win again so soon. Very, very few actors have three Oscars, and that's a club that doesn't let in many members. Only six have done it and all except for DDL were over 60 when it happened.

by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2015 5:26 PM

[quote]This year it's all about THE DANISH GIRL starring Academy Award® winner Eddie Redmayne! No doubt Eddie's second Oscar will be handed to him by Caitlyn Jenner.

A CIS Gender white man playing trans? The trans fascists will not stand for this!

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2015 8:57 AM

I wish Frears had waited for a better screenplay for The Program. I loved reading about the mutual David Walsh/Lance Armstrong hate fest. I suppose he cast Chris O'Dowd for the name recognition but he's too inconsitant an actor for me to like

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2015 7:24 PM

Fassbender is as charismatic as fuck, in spite of being a less genial, more violent Colin Farrell style mess in real life. He will likely get a nomination for Jobs (as will Winslet, natch) but his American accents are pretty awful.

I think Aaron Sorkin was right to advocate for Tom Cruise on the basis of Lions For Lambs. I'm not even kidding,

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2015 7:31 PM

The Big Short. Watch.

by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2015 7:57 PM

Fassbender is a perfect choice for Steve Jobs. He has that evil sociopath thing down pat. Cruise is far too smarmy for Jobs. And short.

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2015 8:25 AM

I imagine Mad Max will get a Best Picture nom.

But I can't tell you how pleased I am that the general public don't care for Tom Hardy.

by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2015 8:41 AM

Did the Academy go back to 5 Best Picture nominees again? If it did, I can't see Mad Max getting a nomination; the reason the Academy increased the number of films was because The Dark Knight wasn't nominated in its year and they wanted to appeal to a younger demographic.

by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2015 9:31 PM

What about that Tutu movie which starred Leo and Tom HArdy ? When it is going to be released ?

by Anonymousreply 53October 2, 2015 9:56 PM

Leo and Tom Hardy as ballerinas?

by Anonymousreply 54October 2, 2015 10:24 PM

IS EVERYONE IN THE BIG SHORT WEARING A WIG?

by Anonymousreply 55October 2, 2015 10:42 PM

I liked the mini-series Testament of Youth (1979) and the documentary Man on Wire, so why would I want to see lesser versions?

I really hope they do not give any Oscars to the trans movie. All the housewives will make their kids trans.

by Anonymousreply 56October 2, 2015 10:47 PM

Don't mind me and my HUGE OPENING about to break all October records.

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2015 10:52 PM

It stands to reason that your opening would be huge, Matt at R57.

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2015 10:55 PM

Matt "Sweet Stuff" Damon's movie is a hit because life on Earth is becoming so disgusting, everyone wants to go to another planet. Not because of his acting. I think his best acting was in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2015 10:56 PM

Tilda Swinton will get a nomination for Best Actress for her performance in "A Bigger Splash."

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2015 11:42 PM

A Bigger Splash looks good. When is that opening?

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2015 11:51 PM

Did you see it, R60?

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2015 11:59 PM

I did not. A friend of mine saw it at the Venice Film Festival and said it was great. She doesn't speak at all in the movie, yet gives an amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 63October 3, 2015 12:10 AM

sounds great, R63 - but, did you just give away a kind of spoiler

by Anonymousreply 64October 3, 2015 12:18 AM

I don't think A Bigger Splash is out until next spring

by Anonymousreply 65October 3, 2015 12:30 AM

yes, you are right, I just checked, R65

by Anonymousreply 66October 3, 2015 12:31 AM

I hope Eddie Redmayne wins again. I find him far too mannered a screen actor but to be a back to back winner barely anyone in the world knows would be a hoot. And it would send his peers Cumberbatch, Hardy, Whishaw, Hiddleston etc apoplectic.

by Anonymousreply 67October 3, 2015 12:55 AM

Eddie Redmayne was absolutely insufferable last year campaigning for the Oscar. He was as bad as Anne Hathaway, only because Redmayne isn't a star, people barely noticed it.

I hope that the last time he ever attends the Oscars is when he presents the Best Actress award this year. He deserves to be another Adrien Brody.

by Anonymousreply 68October 3, 2015 1:02 AM

The Martian is going to be a big hit and Damon might win because people will feel its his turn.

Look for Oscarbait films Trumbo, Suffragette, and Truth to be huge flops.

by Anonymousreply 69October 3, 2015 1:08 AM

OP, the Julianne Moore film is called "Freeheld" not "Freehold." How many times has this actress played gay?

by Anonymousreply 70October 3, 2015 2:49 AM

Will Leo be nominated for The Reverant or would that be for next year?

by Anonymousreply 71October 3, 2015 2:54 AM

I knew I should have showed my cock. Even if Jobs only had four inches. Famously.

by Anonymousreply 72October 3, 2015 2:57 AM

Matt Damon deserves a nomination for "The Martian," but it's the type of role that they'd almost never give awards. If he were playing a man trapped on a deserted island instead of a man on Mars, people would be falling all over the performance and he'd be assured of getting the nod.

by Anonymousreply 73October 3, 2015 3:07 AM

[quote] Matt Damon deserves a nomination for "The Martian," but it's the type of role that they'd almost never give awards.

You mean like my role in "the Blind Side"?

by Anonymousreply 74October 3, 2015 4:27 AM

Bullock played a real person in an inspirational drama that takes place on Earth. It was a massive hit that drastically exceeded expectations thanks to a lack of explosions or superheroes; "The Martian" is a big-budget science fiction film, so no one will be surprised when it makes tons of money.

"The Blind Side" is complete shit, but it's the type of shit that the Academy likes.

by Anonymousreply 75October 3, 2015 4:36 AM

I only have a few minutes in Sufragette. If I'm nominated I'll probably send Mamie or the younger one to accept.

by Anonymousreply 76October 3, 2015 4:41 AM

R40 must be Mia, Ronan and/or Dylan's truth again.

by Anonymousreply 77October 3, 2015 4:47 AM

r68 = B. Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 78October 3, 2015 5:52 AM

It's getting so you'll have to play someone who poops her pants to get a nomination.

Lucky me!

by Anonymousreply 79October 3, 2015 7:29 PM

R78, Cumberbatch was also a shameless campaigner, but since he had no chance of winning few people noticed. Usually it's the women who go crazy with campaigns, but since both races were locks for Moore and Arquette, only Jennifer Aniston went over-the-top so she could get a nomination. Thankfully, Oscar voters realized that "Cake" was terrible and Aniston was terrible in it.

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2015 9:58 PM

I saw Steve Jobs at the New York Film Fest today and it is absolutely fantastic. Fassbender REALLY deserves to get nommed (and maybe even win) as does Winslet. I could see Jeff Daniels making it in too

by Anonymousreply 81October 4, 2015 12:13 AM

Is Winslet a lead role or a supporting?

by Anonymousreply 82October 4, 2015 12:17 AM

I think they'll probably campaign her Supporting, r82, and that's fine really, it is primarily Fassbender's film, I think he's there every single scene. But Winslet's the connective tissue, carrying him from scene to scene, and is in it probably 75% as much as him - she's always there five steps away, and she's got an arc.

by Anonymousreply 83October 4, 2015 1:18 AM

Jeff Daniels makes sense as a nominee. He's had a long career but has never been nominated, even when he had a couple roles that might have been possible contenders (Purple Rose of Cairo, The Squid and the Whale). It all depends on how much the Academy loves "Steve Jobs."

by Anonymousreply 84October 4, 2015 1:30 AM

[quote]Tilda Swinton will get a nomination for Best Actress for her performance in "A Bigger Splash."

I doubt it. She should have won a few years ago for her haunting performance in 'We Need to Talk About Kevin,' and she wasn't even nominated. Her performance was leagues better than any of the pathetic nominees that year (Streep for 'Iron Lady,' Glenn Close for 'Albert Nobbs,' Rooney Mara for 'Dragon Tattoo,' Michelle Williams for 'My Week with Marilyn'.)

The only nominee who even came close to matching her performance was Viola Davis. Tilda must have turned off the Academy prudes with her Batsuit nipple speech. She hasn't been nominated since then, not even for 'I Am Love.'

by Anonymousreply 85October 4, 2015 1:43 AM

She wore a batsuit?

by Anonymousreply 86October 4, 2015 1:46 AM

Tilda didn't get nominated because nobody saw the film. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was making tons of money during voting for the awards, and Mara had a lot of goodwill left over from her role in "The Social Network" (the Academy didn't nominate her for Supporting Actress, but they extended her Academy membership that year, which they didn't even do for all of the nominees in that category). The other nominee that Swinton could have replaced, Close, had a passion project that she had attempted to make for years. That usually helps even when the performance isn't that notable, like Salma Hayek for "Frida."

She should have been nominated, easily. Kirsten Dunst in "Melancholia" and Charlize Theron for "Young Adult" were also more deserving than some of the terrible nominees that year.

Tilda has been snubbed a few times, but my favorite performance of hers might be "Julia," which was seen by even fewer people than "We Need to Talk About Kevin."

by Anonymousreply 87October 4, 2015 1:55 AM

People were shocked that she wasn't nominated. I thought she could have won for Kevin, too.

by Anonymousreply 88October 4, 2015 1:58 AM

Tilda should basically just be handed an award every time she stands in front of a camera. I'm always pretty shocked someone so genuinely compelling and bizarre and talented has had the career she's been allowed to have, much less actually have an Oscar of all things

by Anonymousreply 89October 4, 2015 2:01 AM

That year was such an abysmal list of nominees. I get the politics of why Mara and Close and Streep got nominated, but in hindsight it's one of the most abysmal years for Best Actress ever. Compare that to what could have been:

Tilda Swinton for WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, Kirsten Dunst for MELANCHOLIA, Viola Davis for THE HELP, Charlotte Gainsbourg for MELANCHOLIA, Saoirse Ronan for HANNA

Now that's a list of nominees.

by Anonymousreply 90October 4, 2015 2:04 AM

Swinton is absolutely brilliant. She should be playing every role middle-brow Blanchett gets offered.

by Anonymousreply 91October 4, 2015 2:57 AM

[quote]Kirsten Dunst in "Melancholia" and Charlize Theron for "Young Adult" were also more deserving than some of the terrible nominees that year.

Absolutely!

by Anonymousreply 92October 4, 2015 8:10 AM

I had to look to see who was nominated, and won

Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady as Margaret Thatcher Glenn Close – Albert Nobbs as Albert Nobbs Viola Davis – The Help as Aibileen Clark Rooney Mara – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as Lisbeth Salander Michelle Williams – My Week with Marilyn as Marilyn Monroe

Roony Mara was actually good as the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I didn't mind her getting nominated. It should have been Tilda as the winner, and I agree Dunst and Theron should have been nominated. Charlotte Gainsbourg was good, too.

by Anonymousreply 93October 4, 2015 10:43 PM

No one cares what you people think. Are you voters? No? Then shut up.

by Anonymousreply 94October 4, 2015 10:51 PM

Suffragette, which I saw in a preview, is unfortunately lackluster. It doesn't deserve any nominations, though if the competition is sufficiently weak it could get some. Streep is only in one scene and Carey Mulligan gives her usual bland performance. I really wanted to like this one, but couldn't. Mike Leigh and Jane Campion do far better with this kind of historical drama.

by Anonymousreply 95October 5, 2015 7:23 AM

Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies", with a 5 star review. Trailer makes this film look boring, but it does have Mark Rylance and was (re) written by the Coen Brothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 5, 2015 7:43 AM

Reviews for Freeheld (including both Julianne Moore and Ellen page) are horrendous. That one is dead in the water in terms of Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 97October 5, 2015 10:52 AM

The casting of Freeheld made it look like mother and child

by Anonymousreply 98October 5, 2015 2:31 PM

[quote]Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies", with a 5 star review.

UGH! I can't think of anything more bland sounding than another Spielberg-Hanks movie. Is John Williams the composer?

by Anonymousreply 99October 5, 2015 2:50 PM

R96 the Coens also wrote Unbroken last year and that was crap.

by Anonymousreply 100October 5, 2015 3:54 PM

I hear Suffragette is getting pretty lacklustre reviews. Room sounds fascinating. And I hope we're all rooting for queen Charlotte Rampling in 45 Years! She's never been nominated but critics are saying this is a career best for her and she already won best actress in Berlin (it was a minor hit in the UK release). Between her, Maggie Smith and Lily Tomlin, could it be the year of the veteran? What are Blythe Danner's chances for I'll See You In My Dreams?

I must admit it's sort of gratifying to see shameless Oscar bait flop a little.

by Anonymousreply 101October 5, 2015 4:42 PM

That Charlotte Rampling didn't even get nominated for "Under The Sand" is a crime against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 102October 5, 2015 8:12 PM

Rampling refuses to play the Hollywood game. She'll be ignored again.

by Anonymousreply 103October 5, 2015 8:18 PM

Rampling has been around for fifty years and has never been nominated, despite a respectable career. The fact that she refuses to play the Hollywood game might not matter, if the reviews are good enough. Sometimes Hollywood relents, especially if it might be the last time an actor can be rewarded.

I doubt Rampling could win, but throwing her a nomination while they give it to someone young enough to be her granddaughter (Brie Larson, Saiorse Ronan) seems like such an Academy thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 104October 5, 2015 9:46 PM

[quote]but throwing her a nomination while they give it to someone young enough to be her granddaughter (Brie Larson, Saiorse Ronan) seems like such an Academy thing to do

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 105October 5, 2015 9:49 PM

Even though you didn't win, Emmanuelle, I still left the ceremony saying "I can't believe I lost the Oscar to that old lady."

by Anonymousreply 106October 5, 2015 10:00 PM

So true about the Academy, but at least a nom would put her back in the spotlight (where she belongs imo) and would put her back in line for the few roles for older women out there. We'd be able to see a bit more of her for the next few years and that can only be a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 107October 5, 2015 10:50 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't even have minded seeing her win for Under the Sand, that last scene was terrifying and beautifully acted. But I believe this is her best chance at a nomination since maybe she did the Woody Allen supporting actress thing (Stardust Memories) and missed out, or even her juicy supporting role in Sidney Lumet's big Oscar player (and BP nominee) The Verdict. She could even have gotten in for Georgy Girl like 50 years ago, I just looked at her wikipedia page and I can't believe she hasn't even been nominated for a BAFTA.

by Anonymousreply 108October 6, 2015 1:26 AM

What is Charlotte Rampling's previous best work? I only know her from The Verdict which I think she was kind of stiff in.

BTW Have you seen the new Paul Newman stamp? Yummy!!!!

by Anonymousreply 109October 6, 2015 1:28 AM

Newman stamp an abomination. Where are his blue eyes??

by Anonymousreply 110October 6, 2015 2:55 AM

I didn't notice R110. What color are they on the stamp.?

I got the Maya Angelou one too. If you smell it you get high.

by Anonymousreply 111October 6, 2015 3:01 AM

Rampling's best work? The Night Porter with Bogarde. Cheesy but wonderful. She's beautiful in The Damned too. Unfortunately, Rampling made an awful lot of crappy movies.

by Anonymousreply 112October 6, 2015 3:16 AM

I will forever shake my head at people who think Kirsten Dunst was even remotely tolerable in the unwatchable Melancholia.

And to the naysayer above, Testament of Youth is one of the best films of the year; deserves nods for Picture, Director, Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing, Costume Design and Original Score.

by Anonymousreply 113October 6, 2015 3:29 AM

Most of Rampling's best films are French, with Francois Ozon as director. Another British actress, Kristen Scott Thomas, also has done most of her best work in French films.

by Anonymousreply 114October 6, 2015 3:32 AM

The kids probably best know Rampling's work from her season on "Dexter."

by Anonymousreply 115October 6, 2015 3:33 AM

The Big Short is getting raves on Twitter from some who attended a screening last night.

by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2015 9:07 PM

Even if "The Big Short" is excellent, I can't see a scenario in which the Best Director Oscar goes to the man behind "Step Brothers" and "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy."

by Anonymousreply 117October 16, 2015 9:15 PM

Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are truly great in "Carol". Michael Fassbender's American accent in "Steve Jobs" is awful. Jeff Daniels is the standout in the film. Charlotte Rampling's best performance is in "Under the Sand" for which she wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 118October 16, 2015 9:27 PM

[quote]The Big Short is getting raves on Twitter from some who attended a screening last night.

Publicists, you mean. Twitter is little more than one big advertorial.

by Anonymousreply 119October 16, 2015 9:37 PM

"I Saw the Light" with Tom Hiddleston as Hank Williams has been pushed back to 2016 after bad reviews at film festivals. I'm glad it failed, because I don't think I could deal with a year of Hiddleston's crazies taking part in the Oscar race just a year after the Cumberbitches infiltrated it.

by Anonymousreply 120October 16, 2015 9:46 PM

R115, or as the third lead in Basic Instinct 2.

by Anonymousreply 121October 16, 2015 9:54 PM

Bruce Feldman, who claims not to be an insider or pundit, tweet today about The Big Short screening. He liked it a lot. He's an Academy and BAFTA member, not a publicist, R119. Dial back your "SHILL!" shrieking for a change.

by Anonymousreply 122October 16, 2015 11:12 PM

The people who tweeted about The Big Short also said it was unlikely to be an Oscar contender, maybe a supporting nom for Steve Carell. That's it. Haven't seen Steve Jobs yet but Fassbender's accent in the trailer is completely off.

by Anonymousreply 123October 16, 2015 11:22 PM

Nobody has mentioned if Johnny Depp has a shot at a nom, for Black Mass yet.

by Anonymousreply 124October 17, 2015 12:19 AM

[quote]I will forever shake my head at people who think Kirsten Dunst was even remotely tolerable in the unwatchable Melancholia.

Keep shaking your head all you want, it won't make any bit of difference.

by Anonymousreply 125October 17, 2015 12:36 AM

I thought Steve Carell and Channing Tatum were good in Foxcatcher

by Anonymousreply 126October 17, 2015 12:45 AM

Black Mass tanked, so no Oscar for Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 127October 17, 2015 2:42 AM

Fassbender's accent in Jobs may be so-so but he's supposed to be superlative in the third act. Really nails the essence of the character. And I'm wondering if the critical acclaim he's also getting for Macbeth will also support his chances in the best actor race; a one-two punch type of thing.

DiCaprio of course is campaigning early and like a pro, he'll call in every connection and favor ever owed so this will likely be the tight race: Fassy and Leo. With Depp, Remayne and another chasing behind.

by Anonymousreply 128October 17, 2015 4:13 AM

Macbeth's reviews were middling and Fassbender wasn't convincing. He may get nominated for Jobs, but mainly because this has been such a weak year for actors. Last year was the most competitive in history and the year before was cutthroat too. Underwhelming films and underwhelming performances so far.

by Anonymousreply 129October 17, 2015 5:29 AM

[quote]Last year was the most competitive in history

Seriously? Keaton and Redmayne and Cumberbatch and Cooper and Carrell the "most competitive in history"? Last year was one of the WORST years for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 130October 17, 2015 12:45 PM

I had dinner with some les friends last night who said Depp was fantastic in Black Mass.

Could Damon get nominated for Martian?

And which film will Cate be nominated for - Carol or Truth or will they cancel each other out?

by Anonymousreply 131October 17, 2015 12:54 PM

Then tell your lesbian friends to go out more. Depp gives a one-note performance in a Scorsese-lite film.

The one from the Gatsby film playing his brother was very good.

by Anonymousreply 132October 17, 2015 1:01 PM

I am amazed Joseph Gordon-Levitt and The Wire have been such been largely ignored and a flop.

by Anonymousreply 133October 17, 2015 1:03 PM

[quote]The Wire

The Walk. You're confusing it with Man on Wire (the doc) and The Wire (the unrelated television show).

by Anonymousreply 134October 17, 2015 1:25 PM

When the dust settles The Big Short could still be an Oscar contender. It will probably end up on a lot of critics' ten best lists. And the cast apparently loves the film and its director/Adam McKay so will go out of their way to promote it. Paramount is putting a lot of muscle behind it. I wouldn't count it out just yet.

by Anonymousreply 135October 17, 2015 2:54 PM

Is Best Picture still up to 10 nominees?

by Anonymousreply 136October 17, 2015 3:09 PM

R30 last year's nominees were probably the worst nominations. All these actors deserved nominations over the 5 who got them: Spall, Oyelowo, Gyllenhaal, Hardy, McConaughey. All of them gave better performances.

by Anonymousreply 137October 17, 2015 3:16 PM

Agreed, R137. Spall should have won. Redmayne is the new Goop.

by Anonymousreply 138October 17, 2015 3:20 PM

Jane Fonda is getting Oscar buzz for Youth.

I hope a lot of legends get in this year. There does seem to be a lot of momentum for Rampling, Tomlin, Fonda, and Maggie Smith.

But people are already buzzing about a second Oscar for Jennifer Lawrence for Joy. They give second Oscars out like candy these days.

by Anonymousreply 139October 17, 2015 3:25 PM

I hope Maggie Smith wins. Haven't seen her film yet and maybe it's not great, but she's certainly the greatest living actress (suck on it Meryl) and deserves to have a second Best Actress Oscar before she kicks the bucket. Supporting doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 140October 17, 2015 3:58 PM

[quote]but she's certainly the greatest living actress

Bitch please. I love Maggie Smith, but she doesn't have much range. She plays feisty, headstrong old English ladies. Even when she was young she played feisty, headstrong old English ladies.

by Anonymousreply 141October 17, 2015 4:11 PM

I hope Redmayne and Lawrence win their second Oscars this year just for the secondhand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 142October 17, 2015 4:18 PM

R142 if they do, hopefully it will kill their careers just like it did Hilary Swank's.

by Anonymousreply 143October 17, 2015 5:34 PM

R123 is either lying to be contrary or works for Harvey Weinstein. The only tweets about The Big Short have been from that one guy and were highly favorable. It absolutely will be an awards contender-the Academy wants Gosling, Pitt, Carell and Bale all there on Oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 144October 17, 2015 6:14 PM

A little late but Rampling's best performances are Under the Sand, Swimming Pool, Heading South, The Cherry Orchard, A Purple Taxi, The Damned, Flesh of the Orchid, Lemming... I could go on and on. Plenty of amazing performances in underseen films. But the Ozon ones are especially great. I hope she gets nominated this year, I haven't seen 45 Years yet but the film has across the board raves and was a box office hit in the UK (it broke some kind of record for On demand same day release or something). She also just published her memoir in French, maybe she'll be open to the awards trail campaign a little more.

by Anonymousreply 145October 17, 2015 7:48 PM

R141 needs to watch more Maggie Smith movies...and then realize that she has also had a superlative theatre career where she tackled great roles by great playwrights.

That is the real reason that Meryl Streep can never be the greatest actress -- she has made a career of being the best thing in mediocre movies. The great British actresses have dominated the stage. Her contemporaries like Glenn Close and Helen Mirren have pushed boundaries in television. French actresses like Juliette Binoche are showing the courage to work with the great international directors. And then there's Meryl. Since the 1980's...what has she really done? Take out Mike Nichols and what do you have? Who cares about all those bullshit Oscar noms? Where is her Lady MacBeth? Her Mary Tyrone? Her Violet Venable? And on...and on...and on...

by Anonymousreply 146October 17, 2015 8:27 PM

[quote]Her contemporaries like Glenn Close and Helen Mirren have pushed boundaries in television.

Yes, Glenn Close's portrayal of Nellie Forbush in TV's South Pacific really pushed boundaries! I mean, someone in their mid-50's playing a young ingenue type was an incredible thing to behold!

I don't know who's worse -- the Meryl Loons or the Anti-Meryl Loons.

by Anonymousreply 147October 18, 2015 12:02 AM

Streep isn't an actress. She's a mimic who unfortunately ushered in an era of mimics being celebrated as great actors (Day Lewis + all those Brits with their loopy American accents).

You never, ever believe for a single second that Streep is the character she's playing. It's always "oh, listen to that accent!"

Great actors convey truth, not actors' tricks and certainly not mimicry.

by Anonymousreply 148October 18, 2015 12:40 AM

R147...Right. Because that's all the TV that Glenn Close has done. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 149October 18, 2015 12:44 AM

Doubt if Academy members will watch it, but Beasts of No Nation will probably clean up with the critics groups. The kid who plays the lead and Idris Elba probably picking off Best Actor and Supporting and Fukunaga taking Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 150October 18, 2015 4:34 AM

Will "Stonewall" get any nominations?

by Anonymousreply 151October 18, 2015 4:39 AM

[quote]I hope Redmayne and Lawrence win their second Oscars this year just for the secondhand embarrassment.

They are already predicting that Jennifer Lawrence will get the best actress nomination for "Joy".

by Anonymousreply 152October 18, 2015 4:42 AM

Joy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 18, 2015 4:53 AM

Truth has tanked at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 154October 18, 2015 5:55 AM

Truth is hampered by the fact that it solely relies on the opinions of the Blanchett character, who is clearly in a biased position. If Blanchett is nominated, it will be for Carol, although Mara is more likely.

by Anonymousreply 155October 18, 2015 7:11 AM

I don't think Kristen Stewart's chances for THE CLOUDS OF SILS MARIA are strong, but her Cesar is well deserved. Of her tics and mannerisms are present, they are bended so precisely to the actions of the character.

Similarly JOY looks surprisingly fun and looks like it will take advantage of Jennifer Lawrence's tendency to be a bit hammy.

Speaking of JLaw, I wonder what happened to the Chris Terrio screenplay THE ENDS OF THE EARTH about the oil tycoon who marries his stepdaughter? That was a great script.

by Anonymousreply 156October 18, 2015 6:52 PM

Is Clouds of Sils Maria on Netflix or Amazon now? I wanted to see it and missed it. I saw Camp Xray and was astonished that Stewart gave such a good performance.

by Anonymousreply 157October 18, 2015 7:15 PM

Suffragette opens next weekend. Carey Mulligan is meant to give a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 158October 18, 2015 7:29 PM

[quote] Truth has tanked at the box office.

No it didn't. it made nearly $13K per screen and was only released on 6 screens. Not blockbuster, but it had the third highest per screen average of ALL releases this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 159October 18, 2015 7:42 PM

TRUTH has Canadian sexicle Bruce Greenwood. It goes on my To Watch list.

by Anonymousreply 160October 19, 2015 8:06 AM

According to Scott Mendelson of Forbes: Weekend Box Office: 'Room' Scores, 'Truth' Tanks, 'Beasts Of No Nation' Is Film Of Few Tickets

by Anonymousreply 161October 19, 2015 2:54 PM

Room was a great book, but will be a difficult film to watch. The only certain Best Picture nominee at this stage is "Bridge of Spies".

by Anonymousreply 162October 19, 2015 8:42 PM

Anything on "The Walk"? I thought it was impressive.

by Anonymousreply 163October 20, 2015 1:46 AM

Maybe visually, R163, but the lead can't act.

by Anonymousreply 164October 20, 2015 1:48 AM

I'm not sold on "Bridge of Spies" as an Oscar contender, despite Spielberg and Hanks. Too easy to forget once voting starts, it's not a huge hit, and it's not positioned as a contender like Spielberg usually does for his non-action films. "Room" will get in, easily. It's the type of movie that's difficult to watch, but so emotional that Oscar voters will respond to it.

It won the People's Choice at Toronto, which is a great sign. Previous winners of the award include: Slumdog Millionaire, The King's Speech, 12 Years a Slave, Silver Linings Playbook, Precious and The Imitation Game. All of these films were nominated for Best Picture, and even the ones that didn't win the top prize still took home a major Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 165October 20, 2015 2:00 AM

Mark Rylance should be nominated for Bridge of Spies.

by Anonymousreply 166October 20, 2015 2:04 AM

Really R166? He was so disappointing in Wolf Hall. I loved that book and his Cromwell was so uninspired.

by Anonymousreply 167October 20, 2015 3:44 AM

Rylance is actually now considered a front runner for all the awards. He probably has the SAG award in the bag because of his phenomenal reputation as an actor paired with his great performance in Bridge of Spies.

The Walk and Truth are both DOA. Neither will be awards contenders.

by Anonymousreply 168October 20, 2015 4:07 AM

[quote]The Walk and Truth are both DOA. Neither will be awards contenders.

Why? I thought The Walk was a wonderful movie.

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2015 4:10 AM

"The Walk" was dead the moment that everyone heard that ridiculous French accent, although I wouldn't count it out for some technical nominations.

by Anonymousreply 170October 20, 2015 4:22 AM

JGL is insufferable on screen.

by Anonymousreply 171October 20, 2015 4:24 AM

The Walk is flatlining at the box office and its reviews were underwhelming. Yes, it could be up for Visual Effects but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 172October 20, 2015 4:27 AM

I enjoyed watching "The Walk" but, it's a must on IMAX 3-D.

by Anonymousreply 173October 20, 2015 4:32 AM

I couldn't even watch the trailer for The Walk. Made me feel sick. And JGL ain't gonna happen. He's the least charismatic actor ever.

by Anonymousreply 174October 20, 2015 2:19 PM

[quote] According to Scott Mendelson of Forbes: Weekend Box Office: 'Room' Scores, 'Truth' Tanks, 'Beasts Of No Nation' Is Film Of Few Tickets

Is Scott Mendelson some college freshman Forbes hired as an intern so they wouldn't have to pay someone to write that garbage?

Truth did not "tank." And why the fuck would anyone be surprised that Beasts of No Nation didn't generate ticket sales? You can see it for free on Netflix. The release was little more than a qualifier for Academy consideration.

by Anonymousreply 175October 20, 2015 2:52 PM

I am getting deep feeling of happiness at watching JGL fail.

by Anonymousreply 176October 20, 2015 8:00 PM

Saw The Walk last night. Five people in the theater. It was gone from IMAX (thanks to the shitastic, non-3D Crimson Peak) but I still got to see it regular 3D and I'm glad I did, because it was the rare film that needed to be seen in that format. Even though I wasn't "surrounded" by the screen the way I might have been in IMAX, I still very much felt the effects of the 3D and was very much immersed in the last hour of the film. Unfortunately, you have to get through the first hour of it before you get to the good stuff. I've seen much worse, but if the film would have gotten to NYC about 30 minutes sooner, this would be a major Oscar contender for many tech awards, and have gotten much better reviews. JGL also eases into the performance better in that half of the film (though he's still not terribly good, he's eons better than when he's in France- or I was just more distracted by good things on which to focus). The writing is awful. Zemeckis should never script a movie again. But I walked out of the film strangely moved and exhilarated, so I can't bag on it too much. If you have plans to see it, hurry. W/ the new piece of shit Paranormal Activity moving in Fri, it might just lose all its remaining 3D screens and this is a movie that begs to be seen in that format.

by Anonymousreply 177October 21, 2015 3:37 PM

Why did Zemeckis cast a French Canadian girl with awful teeth as a beautiful Parisian?

by Anonymousreply 178October 21, 2015 4:08 PM

R176, ooh, any info on JGL? Thought he was the real deal in Mysterious Skin but hated Don Jon and the way he ironically channels Mr Skin in his cheesy publicity photographs.

by Anonymousreply 179October 21, 2015 8:12 PM

R179 - Not anything you haven't heard, I think. He's a manipulative, fake asshole.

by Anonymousreply 180October 22, 2015 7:53 PM

I think he's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 181October 23, 2015 2:52 PM

I see most movies at the end of the year, but Oscar Season has become an increasing trial over the past 10 years. The films I plan to see in a cinema this year are CAROL, HATEFUL EIGHT, YOUTH, SICARIO, and maybe JOY.

by Anonymousreply 182October 25, 2015 3:08 PM

So far...

Loved "Room". Brie Larson and that boy should be locks for Oscar nominations. And the film too for Best Picture. But the kid (Jacob Trembley) is definitely a lead, and I wonder if the powers-that-be are going to try to get him in the supporting category cause of his age. That'd be absurd.

Suffered through "Suffragette". Carey Mulligan is very good, as are all the performances (even Meryl Streep in her one scene), but the writers make such a crucial and odd narrative mistake that the ending falls completely flat. As a result, it's all underwhelming.

Two supporting performances that make huge impacts are Mark Rylance in "Bridge of Spies" and Benecio Del Toro in "Sicario". Both excellent.

I wanted to see "The Walk" on an IMAX screen. But it came and went so quickly. Not a good sign.

Trying to muster the strength to see "Steve Jobs" and/or "Truth", both of which are failing to set box offices aflame but look worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 183October 25, 2015 3:25 PM

R45 Correction: DDL was NOT the only exception.

Walter Brennan beat him to punch by winning ALL 3 of his Oscars BEFORE the age of 50!

by Anonymousreply 184October 25, 2015 3:36 PM

"I'll NEVER be complete!" vows massive Oscarbait film collapse

Today's victim: The Big Short

"strenuously unfunny" - Hollywood Reporter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185November 13, 2015 1:26 PM

[quote]Loved "Room". Brie Larson and that boy should be locks for Oscar nominations.

I completely agree. I thought that Brie Larson was just phenomenal in it. ***SPOILERS*** The scene where she's being interviewed by the reporter, aghast at her line of questioning is an obvious standout. But I'd also cite two other scenes that really stood out to me. One was, I believe, the only scene not seen through Jack's eyes and it's Joy alone in the dark at night crying - I believe this is right before she hatches her final plan of escape. And then the scene where she's just rolled Jack up in the rug and is screaming at Old Nick to promise not to look at him. I think she must be considered a serious contender for Best Actress this year and I'm ecstatic that it seems she's finally broken through. Interesting that with Jennifer Lawrence in the mix, there might be two characters named "Joy" duking it out for Best Actress.

I had previously read the book, so although I knew that Ma and Jack would make it out (and how they would make it out), I was still on the edge of my seat during that entire escape sequence which I think is a real testament to the strength of the direction and the screenplay (written by the author herself).

Joan Allen was also perfection in this and I wouldn't count her out for a nomination (it was nice to see her on-screen again). I worry that voters won't think she "does enough" in the movie to merit consideration but I think she really pulled off a tricky role, especially in her scenes with Larson where she's kind of tip-toeing around her daughter to straddle the line between the comfort she'd like to provide her and the questions she has about what Joy has endured. The moment when Jack reveals that he used to hide in the wardrobe when Old Nick visited was quite a moving moment.

And in a year where they seem to be scrambling for candidates to fill out the Best Actor roster (I mean, Will Smith, seriously?) I think it's unfortunate that Jacob Tremblay's performance isn't being considered more seriously. He's just as dominant in the film as, say, Quvenzhané Wallis was in Beasts of the Southern Wild and she managed to place in lead even though she gave a juvenile performance. I thought he was just incredible--exerting control and authority of the space of "room" that is all he knows while portraying the expected level of naïveté about the mechanics of an unconsidered world outside its walls. His delicate foray into that world outside once they escape is very heartfelt and earnest. I appreciated his slow transformation and awakening to everything around him, especially as its set against his yearning to return to "room" which he misses. There were small ways this was also telegraphed that were such nice touches, too. There's one scene where he's built what looks like the shed in which they were imprisoned out of the Legos, even adding what looks like a skylight on top. Then he destroys it. So much conveyed in that small moment.

This is definitely an actor's showcase and certainly the best movie I've seen this season so far.

by Anonymousreply 186November 13, 2015 1:38 PM

"Martian", "Bridge of Spies", "Room", "Suffragette" and "Spotlight" are the top 5 on my list, along with one terrific film from early in the year which, sadly, doesn't stand a chance - "'71"

by Anonymousreply 187November 13, 2015 2:03 PM

I also loved Room and I'm really upset that none of the pundits are calling for Trembley in the lead. He IS the lead male, he is NOT supporting. Goldderby doesn't even rank him very high in in supporting.

Goddammit if Fassbinder wins the Oscar this year I will really be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 188November 13, 2015 2:14 PM

Suffragette doesn't stand a chance either, R187.

by Anonymousreply 189November 13, 2015 2:25 PM

At this point I am 99% certain Martian, Inside Out, Bridge of Spies, Room, and Spotlight will be Best Picture finalists.

by Anonymousreply 190November 13, 2015 2:28 PM

I think Brie Larson has a strong chance of winning the Best Actress Oscar. Saoirse Ronan is getting great notices for Brooklyn, but the performance might be too recessive. Jennifer Lawrence is too young to get another so soon. She'll just continue to rack up nominations. And I don't see Cate Blanchett joining the Meryl club at this point (they made Meryl wait over 3o years between her two Best Actress statuettes; Blanchett won just two years ago). One of the veteran ladies waiting in the wings for their respective vehicles could certainly be honored (Blythe Danner, Lily Tomlin, Maggie Smith, Charlotte Rampling), but I think they're all just holding out for a nomination at this juncture.

Which leaves Larson who has a ton of "Oscar moments" in Room and gives one of the most complex performances of the year. I think she's a very strong contender.

by Anonymousreply 191November 13, 2015 2:54 PM

I saw Spotlight last night, and it is the exact kind of picture the Academy goes for. Good performances, social justice-y, directed well if perfunctorily. I could see Ruffalo or Tucci getting Supporting Actor nods, as well as nods for Screenplay and Score.

by Anonymousreply 192November 13, 2015 3:02 PM

[quote] If you have plans to see it, hurry. W/ the new piece of shit Paranormal Activity moving in Fri, it might just lose all its remaining 3D screens and this is a movie that begs to be seen in that format.

Unfortunately I just can't: I've been invited to a very important series of pajama parties.

by Anonymousreply 193November 13, 2015 3:14 PM

[quote]I wanted to see "The Walk" on an IMAX screen. But it came and went so quickly. Not a good sign.

It was only showing for a week at my IMAX theater. Most of you will have to wait for the 3-D version on Blu-Ray. It does deserve a lot of Oscars for tech and sound.

by Anonymousreply 194November 13, 2015 3:42 PM

I think AMPAS will bump Rooney Mara up to leading for Carol. It's not as easy to get away with category fraud when everybody is talking about it. Her and Blanchett are going to do a Thelma & Louise (they'll probably share heaps of precursor awards like the NYFCC). But i'd really just love to see one of the old girls win. Lily Tomlin would make the best speech, seeing Blythe Danner just nominated would be thrilling at this stage of her career and she could probably use the boost more than everybody else, Maggie Smith is always fun, and Charlotte Rampling is absolutely shattering in 45 Years. Perhaps her best performance in a career where she has frequently out-acted her peers in interesting films. Her final moments in the film took my breath away. If she had more 'Oscar clips' she'd be a strong contender in a year like this.

Haven't seen Room yet but the novel was wonderful and I like Larson, really looking forward to her performance and kind of rooting for her over the other young girls.

by Anonymousreply 195November 13, 2015 5:04 PM

[quote]seeing Blythe Danner just nominated would be thrilling at this stage of her career

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 196November 13, 2015 5:07 PM

"I'll NEVER be complete" vows Massive Oscarbait Collapse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 7, 2015 7:09 PM

[quote]I think Brie Larson has a strong chance of winning the Best Actress Oscar.

Not anymore, she's not. How many critics awards has "Room" won?

by Anonymousreply 198December 7, 2015 8:52 PM

R198 National board of review best actress but movie fans pick these winners. I trust the Hollywood Foreign Press for the Globes to pick better winners but that's not saying much lol.

by Anonymousreply 199December 7, 2015 8:58 PM

I hope Kristen Stewart is nominated for CLOUDS OF SILS MARIA. A rare role that contained a lot of her tics yet focused her naturally and strongly. She doesn't seem to be campaigning, though. Juliette Binoche was even better.

If Sly gets that nomination for CREED, he may well win. *If* he is nominated. It is a strong year for supporting actors with Ruffalo, Keaton, Rylance, Del Toro, Dano, Tremblay, De Niro. And speaking of CREED, I hope Michael B. Jordan comes out of nowhere with a nomination. He is so fucking likeable.

by Anonymousreply 200December 7, 2015 9:47 PM

[quote]I hope Michael B. Jordan comes out of nowhere with a nomination. He is so fucking likeable.

Where's Wallace? Where the fuck is Wallace? Huh? Huh? String? String? Look at me! Where the fuck is Wallace?

by Anonymousreply 201December 7, 2015 9:49 PM

Speaking of collapse, that "Macbeth" is godawful. I mean, terrible to the nth degree. Loathed it.

"Son of Saul" and "45 Years" are both excellent. "Saul" is a lock for that Foreign Language Oscar. Both are worthy films that I never want to see again though...

I don't get the Kristen Stewart love for "Clouds". What am I missing? I thought she was fine, good even. But I feel like I missed something everyone else sees so clearly.

by Anonymousreply 202December 7, 2015 9:54 PM

The lead in Son of Saul will also be nominated for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 203December 7, 2015 9:55 PM

Well, JOY has crashed and burned.

by Anonymousreply 204December 8, 2015 11:37 AM

R203,

You think so? I certainly hope so. He's amazing. But he's Hungarian, and totally new on the scene. That concerns me. But if I were voting, he'd be at the top of my ballot.

by Anonymousreply 205December 8, 2015 12:02 PM

Golden Globes and SAG nominations out this week.

by Anonymousreply 206December 8, 2015 1:09 PM

I thought Jennifer Lawrence was getting an Oscar for joy?

by Anonymousreply 207December 8, 2015 1:17 PM

I thought Kristin Stewart was wonderful in Clouds of Sils Maria, never thought I would say that! I hope she gets the nomination. 👍🏻

by Anonymousreply 208December 8, 2015 1:23 PM

Creed is not getting any nominations, it's like nominating Magic Mike 2.

by Anonymousreply 209December 8, 2015 1:25 PM

Best animation should go to The Peanuts Movie.

by Anonymousreply 210December 8, 2015 1:38 PM

Leo should have won Best Supporting Actor for DJANGO instead of Waltz.

by Anonymousreply 211December 8, 2015 1:43 PM

The only even solid lock to win at this point is Leo.

by Anonymousreply 212December 8, 2015 1:48 PM

Solid lock to win, R212? He's not even a solid lock for a nomination. Are you one of those Leo fangirls who's been declaring him the winner from your blog before his movie has even been released?

There are no locks for any of the acting races right now. At this point last year, we had Julianne Moore (Best Actress), J.K. Simmons (Best Supporting Actor) as locks and, approaching near-lock status, Patricia Arquette (Best Supporting Actress).

You're not particularly good at this, R212.

by Anonymousreply 213December 8, 2015 2:13 PM

You're an idiot, r213. Sure, they'll give it to Eddie Redmayne or Matt Damon instead.

by Anonymousreply 214December 8, 2015 2:38 PM

How am I an idiot, R214? Declaring locks at this point makes YOU look like an idiotic fangurl.

by Anonymousreply 215December 8, 2015 3:02 PM

Leo is absolutely the front runner for BA.

by Anonymousreply 216December 8, 2015 3:24 PM

Being a frontrunner is different from "Leo is a solid lock to win."

by Anonymousreply 217December 8, 2015 3:30 PM

Leo has the narrative. The already legendary shoot and his physical traumas, a solid star for 20 years, the 4 nominations.

He is the *only* acting lock.

r214/r215 - obvious logic fail.

by Anonymousreply 218December 8, 2015 3:31 PM

[quote] Best animation should go to The Peanuts Movie.

It should, but The Rat is gonna pull out the stops for their Oscar campaign on [italic]Inside Out[/italic] to distract from the wage-fixing lawsuit plaguing the animation industry right now. It already won the New York Film Critics' Circle award for Best Animated Film.

by Anonymousreply 219December 8, 2015 3:49 PM

Inside Out has already won the animation Oscar. Don't even think about anything else winning.

by Anonymousreply 220December 8, 2015 8:03 PM

Inside Out is more a traditional "lock" then, say, Leonardo DiCaprio who could easily fall by the wayside once his film opens and voters gravitate to other candidates (some of whom might not even be in the conversation at this point). Academy voters don't like being told who they're supposed to vote for.

How many times were we told that Kate Hudson was a "lock" the year she lost to Marcia Gay Harden? She had the narrative too: her own mother had won the same award thirty years earlier, she was the heir apparent of comedic Hollywood royalty, etc. etc. But voters didn't go for it.

R218, your particular fail is trying to apply logic to Oscar voting.

by Anonymousreply 221December 8, 2015 8:42 PM

Leonardo DiCaprio is not even close to a lock. That status goes to so few, especially for films that haven't been released yet.

And I know, cause I vote. In fact, I was one of those voters who voted for Marcia Gay Harden at the last minute instead of Kate Hudson when I finally got my butt to a screening of "Pollock". Never expected Harden to win, but glad she did. And I wasn't voting for anyone's family legacy, nor were most other Academy members. I was voting for those performances that year, and Harden won me over just a little bit more than Hudson.

As for the lead actors (I'm not part of that branch, so I'll only vote for an actor once the nominees are known), I'd vote for the Geza Rohrig from "Son of Saul" if given the opportunity. Doubt he'll be nominated though, so as for the others, the jury is still out. I need to see "Steve Jobs" still, and "The Revenant" (Leo!), among others.

by Anonymousreply 222December 8, 2015 8:54 PM

'Joy' will get no nominations.

by Anonymousreply 223December 8, 2015 8:57 PM

Leo is pretty much a lock for best actor, I can't picture anyone else winning besides Leo.

by Anonymousreply 224December 8, 2015 11:11 PM

It's definitely been a weird year for Oscar-caliber-type films. Reminds me of 2011, which was so weak the Oscars honored dreck like The Help, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Tree of Life, and Meryl finally wins her second Best Actress for the horrible Iron Lady.

by Anonymousreply 225December 9, 2015 12:57 AM

2011 had some great movies: Pariah, Take Shelter, Margin Call, Jane Eyre, We Need to Tale about Kevin, Melancholia, Shame, Rango.

Naturally, they were all ignored by the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 226December 9, 2015 1:15 AM

R226, yes but the difference from this year is most of those were not major studio releases with a big push behind them. The Academy often misses the actual best films of the year.

by Anonymousreply 227December 9, 2015 1:20 AM

How 'bout only three Best Picture nominees this year? Worst year in film on record unless some big guns show up at the 11th hour. They had better hurry up though.

by Anonymousreply 228December 9, 2015 1:24 AM

Tree of Life deserved its nomination. You may not appreciate Terrence Malick's vision and style but even his lesser movies are far more interesting from the point of view of pure moviemaking than the safe, middlebrow schlock peddled by, say, DOR.

by Anonymousreply 229December 9, 2015 1:28 AM

I definitely think Malick is one of the better and more interesting filmmakers, but I also thought Tree of Life was way overrated. That doesn't make it worse that DOR schlock though.

by Anonymousreply 230December 9, 2015 1:36 AM

Peanuts Movie managed to remain true to Charles Schultz's characters. Something that I thought would be impossible, but Paul Feig and the cast pulled it off. It is also better than the feature length Peanuts movies that were made under Schultz.

Inside Out is more of the same massively overhyped Pixar fare.

by Anonymousreply 231December 9, 2015 1:52 AM

Excited for the SAG and Globe noms.

by Anonymousreply 232December 9, 2015 1:54 AM

[quote]Bitch please. I love Maggie Smith, but she doesn't have much range. She plays feisty, headstrong old English ladies. Even when she was young she played feisty, headstrong old English ladies.

Well, you've just revealed your ignorance. She was hugely critically acclaimed and celebrated for her screen performances as Desdemona in "Othello" (when she was young and lovely) and the title role in "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne," nether of whom fit that description. And her most famous and definitive stage role was the witty Millamant (again when she was young and lovely) in Congreve's "The Way of the World," which also does not fit that description.

by Anonymousreply 233December 9, 2015 2:09 AM

They will put Michael Douglas/Keaton up for supporting to make up for last year. Hopefully he won't pull a Renner and lose twice in a row.

by Anonymousreply 234December 9, 2015 5:01 AM

This is undoubtedly the worse year in pictures, the only movies I liked were The Martian and The Peanuts Movie. I don't care who wins this year, because it will be some film overrated anyway.

by Anonymousreply 235December 9, 2015 11:07 AM

You sound like you have fabulous taste R235.

by Anonymousreply 236December 9, 2015 2:03 PM

The Big Short is getting good reviews, although I'm not impressed with the clips/trailer I've seen. There is still Concussion and Hateful Eight, either of which could be the big winner if they live up to the hype. And the Star Wars movie, if good, could get some award attention.

by Anonymousreply 237December 9, 2015 2:51 PM

Saw Spotlight last night. it's massively overrated and, though they function well as an ensemble, no one in the cast deserves any individual recognition. The movie felt flat and uninspired, and what should have been a hugely emotionally manipulative movie (in a good way, I mean), is surprisingly uninvolving. It was also shot and edited like a TV movie.

HATED Anomalisa. Absolutely hated it. No one is getting any nominations for that, though it will probably sneak in for animated. If I'd realized Charlie Kaufman was behind it, I'd not have bothered. I loathe his work.

by Anonymousreply 238December 9, 2015 5:00 PM

R224 = Leo fangurl.

by Anonymousreply 239December 9, 2015 5:11 PM

I'm putting it out there now - Abraham Attah for a Best Actor nomination.

Look to more movies having Netflix distribution concurrent with a cinema release if the Globes and the Oscars follow the SAG's trend.

by Anonymousreply 240December 9, 2015 9:35 PM

It looks like Trumbo's collapse is not complete. Three SAG nominations isn't bad, and I think Cranaton might translate that into an Oscar nod. Critics were never going to go nuts for it, but it's the type of middlebrow thing that Hollywood likes despite what critics think.

by Anonymousreply 241December 9, 2015 9:43 PM

Trumbo looks like one of those films you have to watch in ethics classes. It looks so worthy, even Mother Teresa would sneer at it.

by Anonymousreply 242December 9, 2015 9:48 PM

Carol for costumes, absolutely. :)

by Anonymousreply 243December 9, 2015 9:58 PM

Hopefully Leo's not nominated for his latest vile offering. He's not owed anything...

by Anonymousreply 244December 9, 2015 9:59 PM

R242, "Trumbo" isn't bad, it's just pretty basic. It's actually a lot of fun when Trumbo is writing for the B-movie studio headed by John Goodman, who probably would be in contention for an Oscar nomination had his role been a bit larger. It's the type of movie that critics dismiss because there's nothing that surprising or innovative about it, but the elderly Academy voters will probably love it.

I'd rather see Cranston win the Oscar than DiCaprio, since "The Revenant" is just about the dumbest, most excruciating film I've ever seen where DiCaprio doesn't act, he crawls and wheezes, while "Trumbo" is just middlebrow. Hell, I'd probably even prefer Depp or Redmayne over DiCaprio, and I despise both actors and usually like DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 245December 9, 2015 10:18 PM

I can not stand Cate Blanchette I thought she deserved to win last year but that's the end of that,

by Anonymousreply 246December 9, 2015 10:22 PM

I'd love to see Charlotte Rampling win but it's a European arthouse movie and she doesn't strike me as a type who would do the whole "for your consideration" circuit through a feature in Vanity Fair, cracking jokes on talk shows, etc, so it'll be a tough row to hoe. The fact that she wasn't even nominated for "Under The Sand", let alone win, is a crime against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 247December 9, 2015 10:30 PM

Blanchett's performance in Carol reminded me of another Carol- Burnett parodying dramatic acting on her variety show. She was pretty terrible, actually. Mara was decent, but the whole film was a huge who gives a fuck

by Anonymousreply 248December 9, 2015 11:45 PM

Rampling is actually doing the awards circuit this year. She was honored at the AFI film festival last month in Hollywood, and there were constant reminders that she has never been nominated for an Oscar. I think she probably won't show up anywhere until the Oscars, kind of like Marion Cotillard last year.

by Anonymousreply 249December 9, 2015 11:46 PM

So far, Rampling is the only one truly deserving of the award this year (even though her movie was a snore). She did wonderful work and is very overdue for some recognition. Larson was very good, but her shitty movie kept her from truly being great. Ronan was pleasant, but anyone could have played that role and done that work. I do not get the love for her in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 250December 9, 2015 11:48 PM

WHEN will DL fave John Goodman get his long overdue Oscar nom?!!!

by Anonymousreply 251December 9, 2015 11:55 PM

[quote] "Trumbo" is just middlebrow.

Middlebrow is just what the Oscars need to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 252December 10, 2015 4:10 AM

Mark Rylance is utter shit in Wolf Hall, but he has the DOWNTON ABBEY Class slot. I am really surprised the SAGs don't seem to have supporting categories for TV. If it's an open playing field it is a crime Nicole Kidman was nominated for GRACE over Mo'Nique in BESSIE.

by Anonymousreply 253December 10, 2015 4:40 AM

It makes sense the HFPA would want JLaw and Sly to come to the party.

by Anonymousreply 254December 10, 2015 12:52 PM

R253 WHOOPSIE! Mo was NOT in Bessie! But thanks for playing! A swing and a miss I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 255December 11, 2015 7:35 PM

[quote] Mark Rylance is utter shit in Wolf Hall,

Couldn't disagree more. He was great. It's a very subtle and affecting performance.

by Anonymousreply 256December 11, 2015 7:56 PM

Tree of Life was one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. It wasn't about its narrative. It was an evocative essay on the things we hold close and dear and the memories of those things. When I finally saw it less than a year ago I almost felt sad for those unable to open themselves up to it - I remember reading that people walked out of it and people were confounded by it.

by Anonymousreply 257December 11, 2015 8:03 PM

"Middlebrow" is what the Academy aspires to. Most of the Academy members are actors who dropped out of high school and publicists who started out working in the mail room because their Uncle Milton got them the job. "Middlebrow" is aiming high for these people.

by Anonymousreply 258December 11, 2015 8:07 PM

R255, Mo'Nique was in "Bessie." She didn't play Bessie Smith, but she was in it, and received an Emmy nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her performance. Since the post about Mo'Nique was about supporting performances in SAG, it only takes a little bit of thought to realize that maybe R253 wasn't talking about Queen Latifah's lead performance.

by Anonymousreply 259December 11, 2015 9:58 PM

[quote]Ronan was pleasant, but anyone could have played that role and done that work.

No. Just no. She was brilliant. If Larson is the front runner, Ronan is the solid second place. Rampling will probably not even get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 260December 11, 2015 10:02 PM

"Trumbo" is the surprise of awards season. Now the Awards websites are saying Cranston might definitely take it away from Di Caprio.

by Anonymousreply 261December 11, 2015 10:04 PM

[quote] No. Just no. She was brilliant. If Larson is the front runner, Ronan is the solid second place. Rampling will probably not even get an Oscar nomination.

What was so fucking brilliant? This was as straightforward of a film as could possibly be. Everything the characters wanted was right out in the open. There was nothing to play except earnestness, which she did very well, but that only takes you so far. I'm not saying she wasn't good, I'm saying she wasn't exceptional, nor was the role or the film.

by Anonymousreply 262December 11, 2015 10:25 PM

Ronan was utter perfection in Brooklyn. She's going to win Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 263December 11, 2015 11:42 PM

It's now between Larson and Ronan. I thought Larson would do much better among critics, but she still has the type of role that seems more likely to win than Ronan, who doesn't have the type of plate-smashing histrionics that usually prevail in the category. Ronan benefits from the Jodie Foster phenomenon, awarding a former child actress for making a transition to adult roles without fucking up her life.

At least Best Actress is better than the wasteland it was last year. Felicity Jones was a sure bit for a nomination and Jennifer Aniston damn near got nominated for a terrible performance in a terrible movie. You can't get much worse than that, even if they do decide to go for Sarah Silverman.

by Anonymousreply 264December 12, 2015 12:00 AM

Has anyone seen 99Homes? Michael Shannon's performance seems to be gettting a lot of love from critics. I figured it would be available via OnDemand, but apparently not until February? You think the studio would move up.

by Anonymousreply 265December 12, 2015 12:28 AM

99 Homes is a really well done, but really depressing movie. Strong writing, totally believable, very well acted yet such a sad story I'm amazed it was actually made. Shannon is good but so is the whole cast.

by Anonymousreply 266December 12, 2015 12:32 AM

I usually am NOT a fan of Shannon's acting, but I think he's wonderful in 99 Homes, which, despite a collapsed third act, is really a very good movie.

by Anonymousreply 267December 12, 2015 1:13 AM

Saw The Big Short last night. Loved it. Definitely gonna be a Best Pic contender. Best Screenplay too. Christian Bale might very well get nominated too.

Son of Saul's lead should be nominated for Best Actor. But he's Hungarian, so I don't see it happening.

Charlotte Rampling is wonderful in 45 Years, but the movie itself is rather meh. She deserves a nomination, but if only one older actress is going to get it, I'd go for Lily Tomlin in Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 268December 12, 2015 1:31 PM

Michael Shannon should have won for TAKE SHELTER. That was the year that Jean Dujardin won for THE FUCKING ARTIST.

Tilda Swinton also should have won that year for WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN. Instead, Meryl Streep won for THE FUCKING IRON LADY.

by Anonymousreply 269December 12, 2015 3:05 PM

JGL fans are butthurt at his lack of nominations. Because that accent was SO AWARD WORTHY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270December 12, 2015 3:17 PM

R269 YES. And Gyllenhaal should have won last year over Redcarpet.

by Anonymousreply 271December 13, 2015 4:49 AM

Gyllenhaal delivered my favorite performance of the decade last year but doesn't look like "Southpaw" or anything else will make up for it this year -- despite Harvey's rather premature prediction back in the Spring. Too bad because I love how good Jake has gotten right before our eyes. He went from dull (and maybe even repressed if you believe the rumors) to one of the best actors we have and, nope, I'm not exaggerating. "Nightcrawler" was that good.

by Anonymousreply 272December 13, 2015 5:30 AM

Why isn't "The Walk" getting any nominations? It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 273December 13, 2015 3:06 PM

R273 - Because nobody watched it and JGL's peformance was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 274December 13, 2015 3:10 PM

Gyllanhaal definitely got gypped out of a nom for "Nightcrawler". Certainly a better performance than Carrell or Cooper

by Anonymousreply 275December 13, 2015 10:21 PM

Hopefully the crappy work Cooper has turned in this year in flop after flop will cure the Academy of the compulsion to nominate him for everything. Hopefully it cures them of the compulsion to nominate David O Russell and JLaw too. And Amy Adams and Christian Bale.

God, American Hustle was such a load of shit.

by Anonymousreply 276December 14, 2015 12:49 AM

Then there's still a chance for Bear Fuck Part 25!

by Anonymousreply 277December 14, 2015 12:57 AM

Two gentle, moving and sensitive performances that I hope Oscar recognizes are from Paul Dano And Elizabeth Banks in Love & Mercy...I really hope the Academy recognizes their work. See this film if you haven't already

by Anonymousreply 278December 14, 2015 1:32 AM

Yes, Love & Mercy was an excellent movie.

by Anonymousreply 279December 14, 2015 4:45 AM

Dano should have been up several times by now and he's even been in major Oscar honored fare but nothing. They just don't "get" him (yet... I'd put money on him as a future Oscar winner though. He's just had sheer talent since he was a boy in "L.I.E.", though maybe he makes it look too easy somehow. Who knows? "There Will Be Blood", for one, owes him a lot. And I liked him in "12 Years a Slave" too).

by Anonymousreply 280December 14, 2015 4:50 AM

What's with them continuing to ignore Paul Dano and import a bunch of second-rate Brits and Aussies and trying to make them stars? Weird. Dano's a much better actor than all the Edgertons, Hiddlestons, etc. Ridiculous he isn't getting pick of the roles. He may not be much of a looker, but neither are Edgerton and Hiddleston.

In fact, Dano headed to the UK to get a decent lead. He's playing Pierre Bezukhov in the BBC's new War and Peace mini-series. Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 281December 14, 2015 2:08 PM

I caught up with "Carol" yesterday and I'm pretty mystified by all the love Rooney Mara is getting....she was okay, but she plays such a passive character. Cate's no better in it, though, but at least we all know she will give a mannered performance in everything she does.

by Anonymousreply 282December 14, 2015 4:28 PM

Dano gave a good performance but Banks was just okay. The problem with Dano is that Brian Wilson was very attractive in his youth and Dano is not. Brian was also a big man and Dano is small and slight. For those of us who remember the attraction of Brian Wilson it made accepting him as Brian more difficult - I imagine his performance worked better for those who didn't know or remember Brian from back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 283December 14, 2015 5:34 PM

Elizabeth Banks was middling in L&M, but her character was poorly written, and it doesn't help that she was surrounded by dreadful John Cusack and Paul "I only know how to give one performance, so I hope it fits the character" Giamatti. Dano was stupendous, but was also helped by the fact that his half of the movie was the better written, better shot, better directed and more compelling segment of the two.

by Anonymousreply 284December 14, 2015 5:36 PM

Who knows, maybe this could be the year Dano finally gets his deserved nomination at the least (a win might be too much to hope for). God knows the competition is beyond weak this year and he can get the indie "Half Nelson" slot. Loooong overdue in his case so we can all cheer if it happens (and report back to this thread).

by Anonymousreply 285December 14, 2015 9:34 PM

Dano is weird looking, which is why he isn't, and never will be, a bigger star. He's destined for a career as a character actor.

by Anonymousreply 286December 14, 2015 9:50 PM

I haven't seen this film but I loathe Paul Dano. And I agree he's really strange looking, bordering on hideous (for a movie star).

by Anonymousreply 287December 14, 2015 11:01 PM

The Revenant is such a wonderful surprise.

I heard people complaining about it, and I thought I would absolutely hate it.

It is one of my favorite movie experiences ever.

by Anonymousreply 288December 14, 2015 11:46 PM

[quote] I caught up with "Carol" yesterday and I'm pretty mystified by all the love Rooney Mara is getting

Is it one of Harvey's?

by Anonymousreply 289December 14, 2015 11:56 PM

I can't stand John Cusack, but I actually thought he was pretty good in "Love and Mercy" - a performance that matched Dano's.

by Anonymousreply 290December 15, 2015 12:07 AM

Stick a fork in "In the Heart of the Sea" 'cause it's a flop

by Anonymousreply 291December 15, 2015 12:11 AM

Really? I thought he was horribly miscast. I will say that it's the best he's been in a long while, but that's because it's the first film he's done in years that wasn't for a paycheck only.

by Anonymousreply 292December 15, 2015 12:11 AM

Is Black Mass completely out of it? That was a fantastic film.

by Anonymousreply 293December 15, 2015 12:47 AM

Black Mass is toast, probably

by Anonymousreply 294December 15, 2015 11:40 PM

This is undoubtedly the worse year in movies...too many overrated indie films. I know everybody agrees with me.

by Anonymousreply 295December 16, 2015 12:04 AM

[quote] the worse year

I'm sure everybody working on their GED agrees with you, R295.

by Anonymousreply 296December 16, 2015 12:06 AM

Terrible, terrible year for movies. I love how critics are trying to talk up crappy movies like The Martian, Revenant, etc which would in normal years be considered what they are - a popcorn flick and a failed Terrence Malicky experiment.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 297December 16, 2015 1:19 PM

Pathetic indeed. Even the upcoming Oscar bait looks dreary as hell. It could rival 2004, the worst year of Best Picture nominees in history if you ask me. Part III of that tired trilogy, that damn horse, movie star problems in Japan (perhaps the best of the bunch, sadly), "Man Overboard!", and the most overrated of many overrated Clint Eastwood movies. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 298December 16, 2015 8:18 PM

[quote]How many times were we told that Kate Hudson was a "lock" the year she lost to Marcia Gay Harden? She had the narrative too: her own mother had won the same award thirty years earlier, she was the heir apparent of comedic Hollywood royalty, etc. etc. But voters didn't go for it.

Hudson was not a lock to win in 2000. The precursors were split among Hudson (Golden Globe), Dench (SAG), McDromand (Critics Choice), and Walters (BAFTA). It was anyone's guess. What was surprising about Gay Harden's win was not that she upset a frontrunner, but because she came out of nowhere to win. She won NYFCC, but that was her only major nomination. SAG, Critics Choice, BAFTA, and Golden Globe ignored her. going into Oscar night, no one was predicting her. Everyone thought she should just be happy to get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 299December 21, 2015 3:29 AM

This is undoubtedly a worst year in pictures with no film that is worthy of best picture. I don't really care who wins during award season.

by Anonymousreply 300December 22, 2015 3:26 PM

She might not have been a "lock," R299, but as I remember it that year, everyone was predicting her to win. So, maybe "heavily favored" is a better way of stating it. And you just know that little bitch thought she had it sown up.

by Anonymousreply 301December 22, 2015 3:37 PM

R301 were you happy when Gay Harden won?

by Anonymousreply 302December 24, 2015 4:16 AM

First real-world victim of the 2015 Oscarbait Collapse - Focus Features, whose entire leadership was dismantled and the mini forced into merger with Universal's foreign production label, after Oscarbait flops like Suffragette and The Danish Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303February 4, 2016 9:09 PM

These were simpler times.

by Anonymousreply 304November 13, 2016 12:50 PM

So far the 21st century has been a pretty boring era for theatrical motion pictures. Television on the other hand has improved considerably.

by Anonymousreply 305November 13, 2016 1:05 PM

That's just it, if television is so good fuck the movies.

by Anonymousreply 306November 13, 2016 3:02 PM

They now produce a few serious movies to try to get Oscars otherwise it is all superhero bullshit. So boring. Cinema is dead. Fucking George Lucas and Marvel killed it off.

by Anonymousreply 307November 13, 2016 11:55 PM

Ironic

by Anonymousreply 308April 6, 2021 10:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!