Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Anyone Not Blown Away By Adele?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 100May 24, 2020 9:27 PM

I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2015 2:21 PM

Why? Has she just farted?

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2015 2:27 PM

She's fine. It's a straight chick question.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2015 2:30 PM

I don't care for her. It annoys me that she sings every song as though her life depended on it, yet the lyrics are most often trite and banal. It works if what she's singing is good and her passion were understandable, but it annoys me to hear someone sing a trite message as forcefully as she does. I always say there are two kinds of singers: those who use their voice to show off the song, and those who use the song to show off their voice. I've always preferred the former; the latter is just showboating.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2015 2:34 PM

Not blown away, don't hate her.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2015 2:41 PM

Who the hell does she think she is taking 4 or 5 years to release an album?

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2015 2:44 PM

I don't hate her. I don't like her current music either. The first time I heard her, when she was an unknow, her music was much more acoustic and down a few notches.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2015 2:45 PM

She's fantastic. I love that her songs are so raw and she delivers with passion.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2015 2:48 PM

She's done a couple of songs that made me ask "Who is this singing?" But that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2015 2:50 PM

Not blown away by her or Taylor Swift. Two of the most bland people to ever become worldwide superstars.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2015 3:01 PM

I'm not blown away by Adele but she definitely has Taylor Swift beaten by a hundred miles. Better singer, better songwriter and as individuals I'm not even sure Swift is human.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2015 3:07 PM

One of the best quotes about Adele (and I can't remember who said it) is that she can go out on stage wearing a black dress with just a piano accompanying her and she intimidates every single pop "star" out there.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2015 3:13 PM

She's ok.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2015 3:54 PM

She sounds flat to me, like Cher before AutoTune. A professional musician I know agrees.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2015 4:17 PM

Who??

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2015 4:23 PM

She's very fortunate that Amy Winehouse passed away because she has the career Amy would've had if Amy was still alive.

Amy was the superior singer and musician, and probably in the top three greatest female R&B/soul vocalists from England (Dusty Springfield and Lisa Stansfield being the other two).

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2015 4:24 PM

I'm totally underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2015 4:31 PM

Blown away? By a pop star? Um, no. But she's fine for what she is. She has some cute songs.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2015 5:32 PM

She is completely atonal. All of her singing sounds strained and painful.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2015 5:48 PM

I don't care for her but my mother, a 60-something woman, raves about her which is funny. Mother never raves about other singers aside from the Beatles which is from her youth.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2015 7:21 PM

Is your mother fat?

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2015 7:23 PM

Only on DL , Adele is hated and criticized this way. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2015 8:16 PM

She's no Alison Moyet.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2015 9:00 PM

don't "hate" her but she's overrated.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2015 9:06 PM

I like her and her approach to fame. She's certainly no attention whore. I do wish they'd write her better songs for her, and not radio friendly trite (and let's not pretend she wrote much of anything on 21).

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2015 9:19 PM

I adelize her.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2015 9:21 PM

The only current patch of "pop" stars I can stand are Adele, Gaga and Pink. At least they can sing without autotune and seem to care a bit about the product. The rest just irritate.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2015 9:23 PM

She's better than that one-hit wonder Winehouse.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2015 9:26 PM

I have nothing against her but I can't stand that style of music so yeah I'm not blown away.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2015 9:28 PM

Know anyone who has been BLOWN by Adele?

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2015 4:02 AM

I've been blown by Adele Nazeem, R30, does that count?

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2015 4:10 AM

I like her because she has that rough sound to her voice, the whiskey sound. Sort of like Billie Holiday did at the end of her career. I think when she sings bluesy and sad songs, that rough voice makes the song sound better.

She had a raw talent and the people surrounding her made her happen. If you look at her when she was young, she's just a fat chavette. But when they styled her, they made her look so much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2015 3:42 PM

I find her singing more real and passionate than meghan trainor, adele or ariana grande. she is on the florence + machine, lykke li, diasy victoria, pj harvey, bat for lashes, princess chelsea, banofee level.

by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2015 4:18 PM

I loke her because she seems down to earth despite fame

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2015 4:20 PM

A deli.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2015 4:31 PM

She an uneducated chav.

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2015 4:31 PM

Adelephant.

by Anonymousreply 37August 25, 2015 5:48 PM

I like how she seems entirely uninterested in the pop music machine. I also think her vocal talent is undeniable. That said, her music is not my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2015 4:21 PM

"Vocal talent" Puh-lease!! she can sing but she's nothing special, she hits the notes no bells no whistles. She's nothing like Whitney or Amy in their prime.

Adele : A chubby chain smoker with mediocre music and singing ability.

by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2015 5:12 PM

19 was a great little album. I was excited to hear Rolling In The Deep, but was shocked by how much I disliked it. Mixed metaphors chasing each other off the page and destroyed by Rick Rubin's obnoxious, overdone production. It sounds nothing like how music actually sounds live - even electronic music. I just hate his schtick. I dislike her honky pre-surgery voice, Someone Like You was almost unbearable.

And she is guilty of my pet hate - singers performing their own backup vocals. There is a lot of harmonic warmth and texture is lost. No one would give a shit about The Everly Brothers or Queen or The Beatles if one singer overdubbed his vocals.

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2015 5:27 PM

I liked her better when she was named Alison Moyet, who also covered a much wider range of genres.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2015 5:30 PM

r41 whoa ..Moyet has a insane voice. thanks for the rec!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2015 5:49 PM

When I first heard "Someone Like You" I liked it. Then, after the ten thousandth time hearing it, not so much. Now when she comes on the radio, I turn the channel. Her range is really limited and her stuff all sounds the same. And yes, she sings flat.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2015 5:53 PM

Skinny or fat, Moyet is the true national treasure. Adele dosent compare. At all.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2015 6:02 PM

Why the comparison? Because they're fat, British, and white? Ya'll have limited world view.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2015 6:03 PM

I agree with the thread above about Adeles career being Winehouse's career had she lived. Amy was the better singer, had better songs, she even covered songs better. Adele isnt a druggie though, so shes 'safe' for American audiences. Shes less threatening. Amy always looked like trouble, which made her more appealing, in my book.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2015 6:08 PM

How many overwrought threads can OP start followed by a "well?"

Well?

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2015 6:28 PM

I thought it was funny when Adele released "Make You Feel My Love" and people thought it was a new song.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2015 6:33 PM

Never have, and never will, get the love for Amy Winehouse. Horrendously, stupendously affected voice. Really nothing else to recommend her, either, unless you like to wallow in tragic stories.

by Anonymousreply 49August 27, 2015 4:34 PM

Adele should venture into Plus Size Modeling, singing isn't really her "thing"

by Anonymousreply 50August 27, 2015 4:54 PM

I like the fact she doesn't give a fuck about fame and doesn't do endorsements......Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2015 4:59 PM

Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2015 5:01 PM

By today's below-mediocre standards, she ranks above most. But compared to former divas who could really sing...Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen MacRae, Eydie Gormet, Barbara Cook and, yes, even Streisand...Well, there's no comparison whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2015 5:12 PM

I'd say she's right in line with the rest of them, You know why? because Adele is a poser. these other girls might be whoring themselves out but it takes a certain level of honesty to be a fame whore. Adele knows she falls right in line with them but tries to put on an alternative image and I just get phoney from it all.

Not to mention she is a pioneer for the obese community trying to shame healthy people.

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2015 6:08 PM

I love Adele. She has a good voice and she's fat so she's rootable.

by Anonymousreply 55August 27, 2015 6:20 PM

What's rootable about being fat?

by Anonymousreply 56August 27, 2015 6:50 PM

How can you not root for the fat person? They're the under bulldogs.

by Anonymousreply 57August 27, 2015 7:24 PM

She's Mama Cass for the Millennials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 27, 2015 7:29 PM

Fat people aren't underdogs. Starving people are underdogs. What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 59August 27, 2015 8:08 PM

This must be the longest ever thread on a female singer without someone mentioning Cat Power. Has the CP troll died?

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2015 8:21 PM

She's a blowhard. A windbag.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2015 8:26 PM

She is no Lucinda Williams, but she is OK.

by Anonymousreply 62August 28, 2015 2:10 PM

She's not all that and her first album was a fluke in terms of comercial success.

by Anonymousreply 63August 28, 2015 2:23 PM

Her album sales are nothing honestly, because 21 is a mediocre album that no one will remember.

She has one of if not THE most non-iconic commercial successes in music history.

by Anonymousreply 64August 28, 2015 3:24 PM

In the last 10 there has been such dearth of pop music geared squared towards adults that people are eagerly embracing anything competent that fits that category.

by Anonymousreply 65August 28, 2015 4:02 PM

'squarely', not 'squared'

by Anonymousreply 66August 28, 2015 4:03 PM

She's good, but her hits sound "engineered" to stick in your head like earwigs. Rolling in the Deep sounds a bit like a schoolyard chant or rhyme (I sometimes swap in "bah bah, black sheep, have you any wool?" in place of the lyrics). Yet I understand her popularity. People (my sisters, actually) really like the propulsive beat and her voice.

I thought it was a bit inelegant on an award show when she performed but didn't acknowledge the musicians performing with her during the applause. Maybe she didn't know better. But yes she is talented.

by Anonymousreply 67August 28, 2015 4:39 PM

Her new album is dropping soon. We'll see if she manages to sell 30M again which I doubt very much. I do like her and sometimes I just need to listen to some of her songs. Just recently I had a need to hear Set Fire to the Rain few times a day for couple of weeks so at the moment she's fresh on my mind. BTW I love that the original video had a bisexual MMF theme with the dancers. Too bad both videos for the song suck.

I wouldn't necessarily compare her with Amy Winehouse too much. They are quite different in many ways. I'm sure they would've co-existed just fine had Amy lived.

by Anonymousreply 68August 28, 2015 4:59 PM

Meh. She's three years away from a ham sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 69August 28, 2015 5:05 PM

" Just recently I had a need to hear Set Fire to the Rain few times a day for couple of weeks so at the moment she's fresh on my mind. "

Belongs in the thread about frauest thing ever.....

by Anonymousreply 70August 28, 2015 5:22 PM

Rolling, Someone, and Set Fire were very good songs and diverse.

For her last effort (lol), she worked with Phil Collins (whi later said he was pissed cuz she never contacted him after the writing sesh), Diane Warren wrote 3 songs with her, and Ryan Tedder, plus others I'm sure we'll find out about soon. I expect it to be a very good album. She's a good writer and has had over 5 years to come up with shit.

by Anonymousreply 71August 28, 2015 5:22 PM

Her music is very pedestrian, but she has a good voice and seems not to take herself too seriously in terms of fame and celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 72August 28, 2015 5:34 PM

Her singing sounds painful, flat, and throaty. No breath support, just tinny sound pushing through a tight, unrelaxed throat.

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2015 5:54 PM

I hope she flops this time. So her sales can match her music.

by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2015 6:04 PM

She's headed to Wynonna territory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2015 6:06 PM

I'm not blown away by her but that's only because I have no idea who she is.

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2015 6:17 PM

She has a lovely face, though.

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2015 6:38 PM

A lovely face? All she needs is an apple jammed in her mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 28, 2015 6:44 PM

I have to agree that she is on the pretty side for a swine. She would make for a lovely plus size model & For a lovely pork roast.

by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2015 7:48 PM

[quote] Belongs in the thread about frauest thing ever.....

Well I'd rather listen to Adele few times a year than talk about Barbra Streisand endlessly.

by Anonymousreply 80August 28, 2015 7:53 PM

She reminds me of a German housefrau.

"No liebling, there are no Nazis in mein haus."

If they ever do a sequel to The Sound of Music, Adele's your girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 28, 2015 7:53 PM

I'm blown away by her face: I always think of a young Catherine Deneuve when I see her. A young Catherine Deneuve with an overeating disorder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 28, 2015 8:06 PM

More like two Catherine Deneuves with an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 83August 28, 2015 8:07 PM

Gawd, listen to you fat bitches.

by Anonymousreply 84August 28, 2015 8:36 PM

I wonder whats in her fridge.

by Anonymousreply 85August 28, 2015 9:42 PM

She's extremely overrated.

Be interesting to hear a non-angry breakup song from her.

by Anonymousreply 86August 30, 2015 2:15 AM

Blown away? No.

But if she did some jumping jacks she could shake my world up.

by Anonymousreply 87August 30, 2015 3:51 AM

R16 Since you mentioned Amy, we may as well get a little conspiracy theorish, since the thread is so boring. Do you think Adele and Mark Ronson used Amy as a blood sacrifice? Because they both had insane success since Amy passed.

by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2015 9:54 PM

She's awful and sounds more or less like most other female pop singers.

by Anonymousreply 89September 4, 2015 10:00 PM

Why do so many gays hate fat women SO much? Do they threaten you in some way?

by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2015 10:13 PM

Not blown away. I think she's bland. Like other ppl in this thread, I'll rather listen to Winehouse or Moyet!

by Anonymousreply 91September 4, 2015 10:37 PM

R90 Obviously a fat lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 92September 4, 2015 10:55 PM

I was not blown away by Adele. I was blown by her, but not blown away

by Anonymousreply 93September 4, 2015 11:44 PM

This thread has too much W&W to just fade away.

by Anonymousreply 94October 11, 2015 10:50 PM

She's a talented singer but I'm not blown away by her. There's a giant void in music right now for women singers who can actually sing, don't dress like whores, and don't sing about going to the club every night. I think that explains her success.

I'm laughing about her working with Diane Warren. When was the last time she had a hit?

by Anonymousreply 95October 11, 2015 11:09 PM

She's no beyonce, but she aite.

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2015 5:18 PM

She's fat and sings ballads so the hoi polloi are fooled into thinking she's talented. She's not. Her vocals are strained, pushed, and technically horrible. Her range is very limited. She's boring as shit to boot.

by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2015 6:53 PM

winehouse was a gifted singer- adele isnt much of anything. and to compare her to billie holiday- never. and as far asz great singers, one of the most underrated of all time was rosemary clooney given different songs more people would be talking about clooney. she really did get terrible songs to sing

by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2015 7:07 PM

I find Adele to be incredibly BORING.

by Anonymousreply 99October 12, 2015 11:27 PM

She is thin

by Anonymousreply 100May 24, 2020 9:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!