Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ to Close on Broadway in September

‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ to Close on Broadway in September

August 18, 2015 | 07:55PM PT

Alex Stedman, News Editor, Variety.com

After several A-list stars and a Tony, the “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” revival is set to end next month.

The final certain will close on Sept. 13 during the 3 p.m. show at the Belasco Theater, it was announced on Tuesday.

“When we announced our limited 16-week Broadway engagement of Hedwig, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would run for a year and a half,” producer David Binder said in a statement. “Hedwig heralded a historic year of acceptance and celebration across America.”

The production went from a 16-week limited run to a 76-week run after positive reception. When it closes, it will have had 22 previews and 506 regular performances.

John Cameron Mitchell wrote the book, with music and lyrics by Stephen Trask. Michael Mayer directed. The show won the 2014 Tony for best musical revival.

Neil Patrick Harris was the first big actor to step into Hedwig’s high heels in the revival, to be followed by Andrew Rannells, Michael C. Hall, Mitchell, Darren Criss and Taye Diggs.

“Hedwig” fans, however, shouldn’t get too upset just yet — a national tour of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” will start in San Francisco Oct. 4, and productions are also planned for the West End and Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2021 12:41 AM

The black guy they have now has been getting poor reviews in the papers.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2015 4:03 AM

[quote] The black guy they have now has been getting poor reviews in the papers.

You read the reviews and Op's comment but you still can't identify Taye Diggs by name.

The white guy at R1 is stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2015 4:14 AM

Well, that turned out to be a nice little chunk of change for John Cameron Mitchell.

How much do you guesstimate he made in royalties per performance? Any theater folk know what's standard?

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2015 4:15 AM

Lets face it- it was no RENT.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2015 4:19 AM

How Taye Diggs Is Transforming the Role of Hedwig

The straight sex symbol prepares to take on the most gender-bending role on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2015 4:20 AM

Taye Diggs’ ‘Hedwig’ debut thrills Broadway

A toned Taye Diggs beamed during his debut as the eponymous character in “Hedwig and the Angry Itch.” The 44-year-old actor’s much anticipated first performance as the transgender rocker took place at the Belasco Theater on Broadway on Wednesday night and ended with a standing ovation from the sold out crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2015 4:22 AM

Why Taye Diggs might be the best Hedwig yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2015 4:24 AM

That review, r7 is preposterous in its utter myopia in what the play is about. Diggs is just a very bad match for this role, and cannot even do a halfway German accent, which isn't really that hard. The racial layer he brought to the role was fairly minor and was played more for laughs. The audiences who come to this show LOVE Hedwig the character, therefore really support any actor in the role. It's sweet to observe an audience so love a fictional character the way they do Hedwig.

Hedwig is "genderqueer", and is in no way a "transgender" person by any real desire to be a female. He's trapped and stuck in the body he's got. That's why he's "angry".

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2015 4:41 AM

Several A-list stars????

NPH, Andrew Rannells, Michael C. Hall, John Cameron Mitchell, Darren Criss and Taye Diggs. Most of that lot is C-list at best.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2015 4:52 AM

HEDWIG is closing with the weakest casted Hedwig of all ... Taye Diggs...bad move on the producers not going out on a bang but a bust as sales are poor...B tw, I guess they tried being politically correct in casting a black dude but he was awful and wrong for the part... physically, vocally and just plain ole not right! Next, American Pyscho the musical for the Belasco!

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2015 4:56 AM

No one does anything on Broadway to be "politically correct." Casting Diggs was a commercial decision made to reach an audience that hasn't already seen it 6 times. And Diggs did bring a new audience to a show they wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. "Hedwig" has just run its course.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2015 5:02 AM

The show is closing a month earlier because Taye sucks and nobody is buying him or tickets.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2015 5:28 AM

NYTimes, NYPost, NYDaily News did not like the black guy

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2015 5:30 AM

[quote] The show is closing a month earlier because Taye sucks and nobody is buying him or tickets

I agree as I've seen the show with all of the Hedwig's except Michael! Old man Taye is all wrong for this role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2015 5:33 AM

[quote] NYTimes, NYPost, NYDaily News did not like the black guy

[quote] The black guy they have now has been getting poor reviews in the papers.

The white guy at R1 & R13 is both juvenile and stupid. He is apparently desperate to prove just how stupid he is,

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2015 5:49 AM

You mean he's not black?

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2015 6:30 AM

Taye digs a grave and buries Hedwig. His horrible miscasting not only dropped the box office below 50% but also added 20 minutes to the running time.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2015 5:22 PM

I like Taye Diggs - I think he's ridiculously gorgeous and a pretty good actor - but he doesn't have the vocal chops for this kind of role and his physicality is all wrong for the part, too. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's black and everything to do with the fact that he's built like a running back.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2015 5:28 PM

He needs to get that layer of blubber off his body.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2015 5:30 PM

Congratulations, black actor whoever you are. You single-handedly ordered several hundred more-talented-than-you actors, musicians and technicians into the last train to Auschwitz oblivion in only 7 performances.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2015 5:52 PM

Maybe being cast in The Gin Game would have been a better fit for him.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2015 5:58 PM

Old man Taye you suck and took the fun and air out of HEDWIG...what a shame that the show is closing earlier than anticipated because did I say you were the worst Hedwig!? Btw, every dude lost weight performing the role so why haven't you daddy? LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2015 6:59 PM

Blubber?? Where? He's all muscle and very hot.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2015 7:24 PM

big black delicious bubble

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2015 7:48 PM

If the problem was Taye they'd just bring in another Hedwig. Ticket sales declined sharply after NPH and didn't recover until JCM returned to the role. It'stupid --and other things -- to suggest Taye is responsible for early close.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2015 1:12 AM

R25, it's a combination of the show running out of steam and Taye doing nowhere near as well as expected at the box office, because he's really not a star anymore, plus even a lot of people who might have paid to see him in something else probably realized he was all wrong for the part in many ways. I'm told he couldn't handle the singing (which doesn't surprise me) or the accent. Big mistake in casting.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2015 1:23 AM

I'm a nobody and wonder why Taye Diggs started following me on Twitter last week.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2015 1:28 AM

[quote] plus even a lot of people who might have paid to see him in something else probably realized he was all wrong for the part in many ways. I'm told he couldn't handle the singing (which doesn't surprise me) or the accent. Big mistake in casting

Some of his fan base came out, most of whom had never seen the show. The rest of his frau fans probably couldn't stomach seeing him as a transgender rocker. Each time I passed the theater before weekend matinees there were a ton of girls, many black, queuing up for the show. It was a reasoned casting decision that didn't pan out -- and the show has run its course on Broadway, for now.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2015 1:31 AM

He couldnt have been any worse than Darren Criss.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2015 3:05 AM

He was supposed to attract all of those people who hadn't yet seen Hedwig. People from Harlem, Trenton NJ, south side of Chicago. But those caravans of ticket holding theatre goers never showed up.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2015 3:07 AM

I want to give Taye a nice long hug. Nice and thick, hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2015 3:14 AM

In what universe is Taye Diggs a big box office draw?

He's a sexy man but a bland actor and far too beefy to be playing Hedwig who's supposed to be a GIRLY BOY!

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2015 8:36 AM

Also: Who's starring in the tour?

They really need a "name" for this show.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2015 8:37 AM

Hedwig is a better show than Rent. Hedwig is genuinely underground feeling with little treacle.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2015 3:14 PM

The tour doesn't start until October 2016, so it'll be a while.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2015 3:17 PM

And here's why: NY Post reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli on Diggs: "Taye Diggs is a drag in ‘Hedwig & the Angry Inch’ — and not the good kind. It’s hard imagining the buff Diggs and his mammoth biceps ever looking like a “girly boy,” but OK, the power of imagination and all that — we’ll buy it on credit. The bigger fail is that Diggs never connects with Hedwig. This broad’s had a tough life, from her botched sex change to her affair with a user who stole her musical ideas. Hedwig’s a survivor, fueled by rage and bitter humor, and she pours it all in her music. You never forget Diggs is performing, from his awkward strut in platform shoes to the pseudo-antagonistic audience interactions. How can spitting water onto the first row look so forced?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2015 2:44 AM

[quote]Some of his fan base came out, most of whom had never seen the show. The rest of his frau fans probably couldn't stomach seeing him as a transgender rocker. Each time I passed the theater before weekend matinees there were a ton of girls, many black, queuing up for the show. It was a reasoned casting decision that didn't pan out

It may have been a "reasoned" casting decision, but it wasn't well reasoned. I thought producers had realized by now that even a big star won't sell tickets in the wrong show or role for his or her fan base. For example, Daniel Radcliffe in EQUUS not a hit, Daniel Radcliffe in HOW TO SUCCEED a big hit. The minute I heard about Taye Diggs being cast as HEDWIG, I thought it was a terrible idea.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2015 3:39 AM

But you must admit Tate looked truly fierce in those "Hedwig" promo pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2015 12:02 AM

No.

The word you're looking for is "forced".

Like a truck driver in drag.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2015 8:57 AM

Santa just is white! Santa is what he is. Just want to get that straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2015 11:35 AM

At r40, arguing about the race of a MYTHOLOGICAL character is ridiculous. Since it's not real it certainly lends itself to different interpretations.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2015 2:25 PM

[quote]Lets face it- it was no RENT.

Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2015 2:32 PM

R41 you do realise I posted R40 in support of Hedwig being any color imaginable?

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2015 3:09 PM

Boy you all hate the black guy

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2015 3:31 PM

Yes, r44, that's it. Boy, you just apply that observation to everything, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2015 4:09 PM

Because people were flocking to see Darren Criss? It obviously wasn't Taye Diggs' fault alone. It was a good casting decision, but the audiences can't be predicted.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2015 4:28 PM

It was winding down anyway. Maybe the "right" actor could have coaxed a little more money out of it, but it's time to let it go.

It lasted a year longer than a lot of people expected.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2015 7:38 PM

[quote] [R41] you do realise I posted [R40] in support of Hedwig being any color imaginable?

Yes, dear. Not you, it was directed at that imbecile Megyn Kelly. The bitch spells her first name with a "y" for chrissakes!

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2015 8:29 PM

R45: that's what it all boils down to

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2015 4:10 AM

cuz nobody knows who the black dude is and I hear he makes a terrible Hedwig

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2015 3:17 AM

Don't they know I'm available for casting? Don't they?

by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2015 1:26 AM

This is an urgent message that Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 52August 30, 2015 1:59 AM

You mean like post it like a chain letter? That's a swell idea, R52!

by Anonymousreply 53August 30, 2015 2:16 AM

Who thinks it would still be running with a white star?

(Ducks; runs for cover.)

by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2015 2:21 AM

Hard to imagine why Diggs even wanted to do the role. He looks like a superbutch bodybuilder in every Hedwig pic that I've seen. It's like he's saying "Look how manly I am even when playing Hedwig!" He's just wrong for the role and it's got nothing to do with him being black, although from the story point of view one might ask were there black people living in East Germany the time Hedwig was a kid? You can ignore that but physically and apparently in the attitude as well he just doesn't seem right. Mind you, I've never seen any of the stage productions but I love the film so I'm talking from that point of view.

From what I've read the show really had been losing steam for a while already so the show closing is certainly not Diggs' fault. I mean I like the guy and he's a sexy man with a great smile but as Hedwig he looks completely unconvincing. All the other guys who've played Hedwig seem to have the right feminine touch although Michael C. Hall seems to be in the same league with Diggs as being physically and in their mannerisms too manly. I mean both seem more like your average gay or in the downlow men, not what Hedwig is.

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2015 2:23 AM

R3, used to be that composer/lyricist split 6% of the gross. Book writer - 3.5%? 3%? Director - 0.5% But I thought I read - possibly on this board? that that has all changed over the years; depends on - a certain level of grosses in a particular week? Can anyone help out here?;thanks.

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2015 2:24 AM

They should have cast Jonny Bravo from the Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2015 2:24 AM

The black dude is bad I hear maybe that's why it is closing

by Anonymousreply 58August 30, 2015 2:38 AM

See! Everytime the blacks move in the neighborhood goes to pot!

by Anonymousreply 59August 30, 2015 3:13 AM

R59 LOL OMG that's so true right!?

by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2015 3:48 AM

Come on, spiritualists and lightworkers all over, Marilyn tried to contact you and warn you too!

by Anonymousreply 61August 30, 2015 4:02 AM

This is an urgent message that Marilyn my Goddess has commanded me to share! Marilyn Monroe is my religion, and I work with spirits a lot. She's my main spirit guide and has commanded me to share this message for her! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, they talk to the spirits and Marilyn tried to contact them too!

by Anonymousreply 62August 30, 2015 4:03 AM

The metaphysics people close to spirits would know this!

by Anonymousreply 63August 30, 2015 4:04 AM

A lot of Inchers getting hard and angry in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 64August 30, 2015 4:36 AM

R62 WTF who the hell ru ???

by Anonymousreply 65August 30, 2015 4:39 AM

Was sashaying on a fire escape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 30, 2015 4:43 AM

Enough with that dude from LEs Mis that died RIP enough already people!!! Who cares!?

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2015 4:55 AM

[quote] See! Everytime the blacks move in the neighborhood goes to pot!

[quote] [R59] LOL OMG that's so true right!?

And all white gays are drug addicted HIV AIDS/STD infected child molesting degenerate pedophile predators. So true right. LOL OMG Yes narrow minded bigoted stereotypes are hilarious! LOL OMG

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2015 6:24 AM

Dafuq you talking about r62?

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2021 12:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!