Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"A" and a "P" and a "Wee-Ohh" Where Economy Originates

A&P is expected to notify all of its employees of impending layoffs as it proceeds with plans to close or sell all of its stores under its Chapter 11 bankruptcy wind-down. A&P employs approximately 28,500.

Sources told SN Tuesday the notices were procedural in nature and issued "out of an abundance of caution," as the retailer seeks buyers for its 297 stores.

An A&P spokesman declined comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 5:18 PM

My grandmother died at 96 a few years ago. I guess A&P can go now, too. RIP

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2015 6:14 PM

We know, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2015 7:19 PM

Not the same thing doofus

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2015 7:57 PM

They used to say, "Weeeeeeee-OH!" On A&P commercials. My sister and brother-in-law were 18 and went to a bar for the first time --- the closest one, a dive of a place -- on the BIL's 18th bday. There were old guys playing pool, so they joined in. One guy got a shot and yelled, "Weeeed-OH!" And his false teeth came flying out of his mouth. He deftly caught them in his hand before they dropped onto anything and swiped them back in his mouth in one smooth motion. Apparently, it was a common occurrence Later on, they found out the guy's nickname --- "WEO."

Damn, they used to run that ad a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2015 8:22 PM

What is the Ass and Pecs?

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2016 4:54 PM

I long thought they had gone out of business . I haven't seen one since the 70s .

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2016 5:01 PM

In my area A&P was called Waldbaums and I really liked that store. I knew where everything was. Now I have to go to Stop N Shop, which I HATE. Stop N Shop will not put the bags in the area where you swipe your purchases at the self-service registers. It's completely retarded that I have to run down and bag my purchased items before I can swipe the rest of my cart. Put the bags at the register, tards, so I can bag right after swiping. I'm faster at checking out than your employees are, who seem to be in a trance and itching to get to their phones.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2016 5:17 PM

But whose going to handle all the melons now?

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2016 5:23 PM

A&P was called Waldbaums

why not call it ap?

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2016 5:31 PM

Thanks, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2016 5:37 PM

Trader Joes's came into Wegmans territory where I am, and is apparently not doing as well as hoped. People see it as a boutique store, while Wegmans stores remain busy and often packed. The best time to shop is before 7 am or after 10 pm, when you can actually get in and out. There's really almost nothing they don't do well.

My dad worked at an A&P when he was in high school, and has good memories of the simpler times. I thought that chain was long gone, too.

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2016 5:40 PM

Hillary thought she originated it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2016 1:11 PM

A&P was the first grocery store I remember as a kid in the 1960s. Some women wore white gloves to grocery shop! I have a lot of fond memories of bugging the hell out of my mother for one thing or another in that store. I hate to see it go.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2016 1:18 PM

[quote]A&P was called Waldbaums. why not call it ap?

A&P and Waldbaums were originally two separate chains. In the town I grew up in, we had both. A&P was where the middle-middle class shopped. Waldbaums was were the lower-middle class shopped.

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2016 1:56 PM

R11 No dig at Wegman's(it's a good chain) but Trader Joe's selection is lean and mean. They aren't as full service as Wegman's is. Trader Joe's is supposed to be the most profitable supermarket chain per square foot. IN addition, I'd love to see Wegman's in downstate New York. With all the competition they could be eaten alive though I like what they have to offer.

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2016 2:09 PM

The economy is fine! Nothing to see here. Move along.

by Anonymousreply 16August 26, 2016 3:03 PM

Kroger whooped their ass

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2019 6:49 AM

R17 You bumped a three-year-old post for THAT? How relevant and timely of you.

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2019 8:32 PM

I miss that Spanish Bar Cake. Do the remaining A&Ps still have it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2019 8:48 PM

There ARE no remaining A&Ps.

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2019 9:05 PM

Aww, R19, I haven't thought about that cake in DECADES. My late mother was an incredible cook and baker, but any time we went to A&P she bought one of those Spanish cakes for my dad, who loves any kind of spice cookie or cake.

Ah, A&P. Brings back such good memories of my childhood. Mama grinding her own coffee (Eight O'Clock brand)--either she or Daddy would pick me up and let me pour the beans in). The A&P brand potato sticks in a can, PDQ eggnog or chocolate freeze dried granules, Space Food Sticks . . . .

Also miss National Food Stores, Food Town, Globe (and their BBQ, to this day the best I EVER had), K&B drugstores, and Winn-Dixie.

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2019 9:30 PM

I loved Ann Page products.

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2019 2:30 PM

A & P 1859-2015

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2019 9:34 PM

I always shop at IGA

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2019 12:40 AM

It's Food Circus or nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2019 4:15 AM

When people told my grandfather they were going to the A&P he’d inquire why don’t you just pee at home? Hardy har har Alice

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2019 4:31 AM

r25 Considering they canned your ass, I would think you'd hate it

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2019 11:59 AM

I had no idea it still was in existence that recently.

I thought most A&P's shut down in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2019 12:34 PM

Spanish Bar Cock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2019 12:41 PM

I also thought A&P died in the 1980s.

Where were the final stores located?

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2019 1:32 PM

Sometime in the 1980's A&P changed the name of their stores to Super Fresh here in Philly. From the 1980's on, the Super Fresh stores were closed on a one by one basis, till the point in 2015 there were just a few left in the entire metro area, mostly in well-to-do (Center City and suburban) areas where price is no object.

At some point, A&P cobbled enough money together to buy Pathmark stores, another struggling grocery store chain. They should have just flushed their money down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2019 1:43 PM

Is Winn Dixie still around?

What about Piggly Wiggly?

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2019 9:52 PM

I'll just say that the A&P brand cake mix was amazing.

Anywho, Winn Dixie and Piggly Wiggly are still around. But Piggly Wiggly has declined in size over the last 20 years. Publix seems to be growing however.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2019 10:31 PM

Ann Page was a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2019 12:18 AM

r34 I think she used to scissor with Betty Crocker.

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2019 11:27 PM

A&P was always unclean in my area Eagle (owned by Lucky from Calif) was the cleanest.

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 3:28 PM

My aunt Margaret died while grocery shopping at A&P. She was 87 years old. Her mom, my great aunt Kate, was waiting inside the car for her. She sat there 4 hrs until someone cane out and notified her that her daughter died earlier inside the store. Aunt Kate was 100 years old at the time.

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 3:50 PM

Your Aunt Kate was also a bit of a slut, R37, if she had her first kid at 13.

Where do you live? West Virginia?

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 5:14 PM

She had her when she was.....13?

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!