Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are bodybuilders inherently shallow?

I have tried to achieve a relatively muscular body by working out regularly, however, I soon leave it because putting so much effort on physical appearance feels so shallow and unfulfilling. I still work out but getting bigger muscles is not my goal now.

Are bodybuilders shallow people as the sterotype about them says? What is the gratification they receive from obsessing with their looks?

I am not trying to vilify bodybuilders, instead, I would like to understand their mentality and why physical appearance matters so much to them to such an extreme level.

by Anonymousreply 68March 27, 2022 3:55 AM

No, they marry clever woman and them get dumped because the shack up with the help, who becomes pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2015 6:43 AM

you arent very smart since you failed to include bod shots. dumbass

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2015 6:45 AM

R2 Read description.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2015 7:09 AM

In your eyes it's "extreme" and you already made up your mind that it's "shallow" and "self absorbed". You want to "understand"? Get rid of your own predjudice towards bodybuilding and bodybuilders. Then you might have a chance to "understand".

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2015 8:14 AM

Bodybuilders are known for self-objectification.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2015 8:26 AM

I don't think I am shallow but i like being the biggest, strongest, and most aggressive guy in the room. That makes us bodybuilders care about how our bodies look. And we like alot of sex so not shallow, just a basic guy.

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2016 7:14 PM

Something is wrong with them because too much muscle is just as ugly as too much fat.

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2016 7:18 PM

ww for r4

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2016 7:22 PM

R4= Michael Blevins

by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2016 7:36 PM

It's a boring lifestyle spending so much time with weights and crunches, they are boring people.

by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2016 7:39 PM

Bodybuilders are not exaclty the strongest because it is not baout strength but repititve exercises until the muscle is exhausted. R6

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2016 2:46 AM

They usually have some level of OCD.

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2016 3:24 AM

What kind of obsessive compulsive disorder?

I remember a video of a female bodybuilder I watched a few months ago and she also said something similar that in order to be a bodybuilder you have to have some kind of obsession with the body or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2016 10:50 PM

It becomes an addiction for them.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2016 10:52 PM

Absolutely. Good lord. Have you seen the instagrams of these people? What will happen to them when they get old? It's going to be rough for them.

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2016 11:03 PM

rough in what sense?

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2016 11:09 PM

Their whole life is how they look. When they lose that -- it's over. It's hard for vain people to their looks.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2016 11:11 PM

Could we be stereotyping bodybuilders?

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2016 11:17 PM

Small dicks

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2016 11:20 PM

Many bodybuilders benefit from having the right genes. They're naturally muscular. They don't need to work out obsessively to get big. I see many guys at the gym who work out like crazy with big weights and they don't build much muscle.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2016 11:22 PM

R20 Steroids

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2016 11:25 PM

R20, oh my. Are you naive?

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2016 11:28 PM

There are miklions of threads, R18. Go to one of them. Or, better yet, start a "don't stereotype bodybuilders" thread.

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2016 11:30 PM

We hate bodybuilders because they make us feel insecure about our physical appearance and we feel pressure to conform to a stereotypical masculine figure, right?

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2016 11:37 PM

I think labeling all or most of any group of people as having some sort of shared trait like shallowness, laziness, etc is narrow minded. People tend to be diverse, unless you are talking about some group who is driven by some sort of hate like the KKK.

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2016 4:04 AM

Are you talking about bodybuilders like Arnold who compete, or just muscle Mary's who don't seek to look like a bunch of walnuts in a condom but want to look like (and in many cases become) fitness models? The ones who end up on Sean Cody and Gay Hoopla and have infested Instagram. I have more time for the former; the latter are either narcissists or suffer serious inferiority complexes which they try to offset by becoming the masculine ideal. And the gay ones have a lot of internalised self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2016 4:11 AM

On behalf on R18, purely in the spirit of inquiry, I would like to ask everyone if they've ever met an intelligent, thoughtful, well-informed bodybuilder.

Well?

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2016 4:23 AM

I have met a few of the big ones, but not famous. One I had sex with was not a competitive bodybuilder, but had everything for the super heavyweight class. He liked to look big but never tried to impress me with his muscles; he was more focused on my mouth and my little butt. He uses his big muscles to attract guys, but he feels very shy to show or flex.

I have met others who like that of being watched by other people regardless of gender. Some heteros like the attention they receive from guys but they don't fantasise about sex with them, instead it lifts their egos.

And others who are always trying to justify bodybuilding as purely athletic because there is the stigma (for some of them) that it is a very sexualized activity and that people tend to objectify them sexually so some of them think that undermines bodybuilding.

By the way, what is a muscle mary? It sounds pejorative.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2016 5:24 AM

Muscle Mary.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2016 4:30 PM

It's a manifestation of a narcissistic disorder, in many cases, or a compensation for childhood abuse. It's a bad head space to be in, I think.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2016 4:38 PM

Bodybuilders for men are like top models for women, they both represent the pressure society exerts on people to look aesthetically desirable keeping the differences between men and women very well defined in terms of physical appearance.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2016 5:05 PM

[quote]By the way, what is a muscle mary?

A guy who looks all manly and muscular but is actually a flaming queen. There are a lot of gay guys who might look like he-man but a purse comes flying out when they start talking, thus the muscle mary grouping.

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2016 7:18 PM

I don't like 'em with that many muscles.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2016 7:25 PM

What about muscle mames?

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2016 7:26 PM

Well, not all hetero muscle men are the embodiment of stereotypical masculinity either. Not all men who bodybuild are desperate to be a walking stereotype of masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2016 7:38 PM

they're bunch of closeted fags

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2016 7:48 PM

So, R31, what are your thoughts on female bodybuilders?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2016 7:50 PM

R37, I'm not R31, but I hate muscles on a woman. Nice toned body looks the best.

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2016 7:52 PM

I never really thought about it, R37

Society doesn't force women to pursue a muscular body but one that is thin and delicate, one that projects stereotypical femininity. What I have noticed though is that women who engage in bodybuilding have been influenced by a positive male figure and in some way they want to emulate that and tend to reject stereotypical femininity.

I have seen a few heterosexual couples in which both are muscular and some of these women tend to embrace a more masculine personality.

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2016 8:12 PM

Urs, that's very gay in my opinion R39.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2016 10:31 PM

*yes

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2016 10:31 PM

They die so young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2016 11:15 PM

You're conflating sexual orientation with gender expression R40 I

by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2016 11:42 PM

I'm starting to think it is bodybuilding fans who are the living portrayal of the worst stereotypes about bodybuilders and not so much bodybuilders themselves.

The most negative aspects about bodybuilding in terms of personality are shown by them, the fans who seem obsessed with an idealistic image of masculinity, probably because they lack in masculinity themselves always showing some degree of grandeur delusion with their alpha vs beta rethoric. The bullying, the homophobia, sexism in general, most of these come from the fans more than from bodybuilders themselves.

Why can't bodybuilding fans be normal?

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2016 12:30 AM

Nah, bodybuilders and fitness are just as homophobic R44, I see it every day, I read it every day (on social media). They're just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2016 12:33 AM

*fitness models

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2016 12:34 AM

Interesting to read all of the amateur psychiatrists on this thread pathologize another activity that many gay men enjoy. More gay self-hatred?

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2016 1:25 AM

OMG! SO shallow....

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2016 2:18 AM

What prompts men to get into bodybuilding? What is the original desire?

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2016 2:23 AM

Many reasons, from defending themselves from bullies, compensate for perceived physical flaws, not feeling masculine enough to enjoying that of being seen as kind of a sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2016 3:05 AM

It gets them a ton of cock...

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2016 3:26 AM

I got into it from about my senior year in high school until my junior year in college. I actually did it as just something to do.

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2016 3:55 AM

When some scholars call bodybuilding a queer activity I wonder if they are simply acknowleding the fact that it's homoerotic or if they are actually pathologising it for it. They usually lump homoeroticism into the same category with narcissism, shallowness, etc. which sounds biased and homophobic to me.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2016 9:31 PM

"queer" theory is homophobic by design

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2016 9:33 PM

As homoerotically sexy as bodybuilding is in nature I find it very unrealistic if bodybuilders have the expectation to make a living out of muscle exhibiton as a professional career because being paid for a few poses isn't actually a real job. It is like Miss Universer expecting to receive many just by standing in front of a crowd wherever she goes. That's lazy.

And bodybuilding will always be associated with sexuality because muscles are secondary sex traits (most bbers care about sex appeal even if they deny it) and whether or not people feel attracted to muscular bodies it is undeniable that the first natural thought when looking at a muscle man exhibiting his almost naked body is that there is inherently something erotic/sexual implied in such exhibition that simply is part of it all.

by Anonymousreply 55February 27, 2016 11:24 PM

Why do muscle men always resort to jobs that exploit their bodies as sex tools?

The luckiest become models and are the covers of magazines or the face for a company that sells anything related to physicality. The not that lucky ones will usually go for G4P as they call it in any of its branches: muscle worship, webcam shows, stripping and even sex. Sometimes, the luckiest one also engage in G4P be it webcam shows for gays or stripping despite not being in a tight financial situation. Both have in common that they exploit their bodies in a sexual way.

A tiny minority actually pursues a career as personal trainers; the vast majority that works out goes for jobs that obectify their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2016 2:43 AM

They have to because they can't hold steady jobs.

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2016 2:45 AM

Could you imagine Betty in accounting getting mouthy about who jammed the copier when one of them is on a roid rage?

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2016 2:46 AM

In the end, bodybuilding preys on our nature-given predisposition to find muscles attractive/erotic. That's why bodybuilding, with the exception of personal training, can only offer job opportunities that are related to sexuality. You become a walking phallus.

by Anonymousreply 59April 1, 2016 4:32 AM

Nice job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2021 12:15 PM

They are just objects of sexual desire. That’s it. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2021 12:18 PM

Even judges want em

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2022 11:48 PM

Different people have different values and different goals in life. I work out, because I want to look my best, and I eat healthy to keep my immune system up. I read Men's Health to check out new developments in fitness. I avoid shortcuts like steroids, because they go against my wish to stay healthy (steroids having nasty and unhealthy side effects).

And I admit it, I silently judge overweight people for living an unhealthy lifestyle that very likely leads to all sorts of pain and illnesses. As a so-called health nut, I cannot see myself dating someone who doesn't share my values in terms of fitness and health (which is something I look for when dating another guy, he has to be a progressive Liberal as well). But I have friends and socialize with people who don't share my specific health and fitness values. We share other interests (like music, TV and movie enertainment, celebrity gossip, politics, career, home renovation, arts and crafts, etc.).

I guess, being shallow vs. having certain values depend on the individual's perception.

by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2022 12:09 AM

I tried working out seriously when I was about 33, just to gain some muscles for looks. I did it religiously for six months and then gave up. I gained a lot of respect for serious bodybuilders/weightlifters, because it takes a ton of willpower; you've really got have the mindset for it. By the end of six months, I was just thinking, "I'll have to do this forever and it will get worse and worse (as the weights get heavier and I do more reps)".

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2022 12:24 AM

The one bodybuilder I knew biblically may have been shallow. But he was really deep.

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote]"In" "your" "eyes" "it's" "extreme" "and" "you" "already" "made" "up" "your" "mind" "that" "it's" "shallow" "and" "self absorbed". "You" "want" "to" "understand"? "Get" "rid" "of" "your" "own" "predjudice" "towards" "bodybuilding" "and" "bodybuilders". "Then" "you" "might" "have" "a" "chance" "to" "understand".

FIFY.

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2022 12:31 AM

I once had a best friend who BECAME a bodybuilder. Had a primo seat on the development of a bodybuilder. My observations and thoughts are the following: He claimed to have a very abusive childhood. (Hated his stepfather, shared some stories about abuse and other childhood trauma in detail) He did become more handsome and stood out (he resembled certain macho celebrities)--getting more attention by both males and females but was a total hetero. It inflated his confidence to the stratosphere Developed Narcissistic tendencies. Over time, he became less empathetic with others and more and more on how he looked. He was always looking at ways to improve himself, becoming more developed physically and mentally.

by Anonymousreply 67March 27, 2022 1:35 AM

Today, the immense popularity and exaltation of muscular males on social media is the greatest incentive to become a bodybuilder or fitness model bro.

by Anonymousreply 68March 27, 2022 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!