Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MSNBC Viewers Dump Morning Joe As Scarborough Is Lowest Rated Cable Morning News Show

MSNBC viewers have spoken loudly as Morning Joe’s ratings continue to slide. The conservative talker is now the lowest rated morning show on cable news.

One statistic from TVNewser tells the story of Morning Joe’s decline, “Last year, “Morning Joe” was ranked #28 of all cable news shows in the demo. This January it is #47, and in fourth place in the demo behind “Fox & Friends,” “New Day,” and ‘Morning Express.'” The numbers for Joe Scarborough’s show have fallen apart, “On weekday mornings, CNN’s New Day registered its highest ratings ever in January and posted its largest monthly share of the cable news morning audience since 2009. The program also easily beat MSNBC’s Morning Joe, topping Joe for four straight months in total viewers and seven consecutive months among A25-54. Fox and Friends posted its lowest delivery since 2001.”

MSNBC boss Phil Griffin has continued to tout Morning Joe as one of his successes, but the reality is that MSNBC viewers have no interest in the program. The collapse of Morning Joe highlights one of the biggest inconsistencies in MSNBC’s strategy. Griffin claims that he wants to attract younger viewers to the network, but he appears to be completely in love with a program that does poorly with the same viewers age 25-54 that he is courting.

Morning Joe, along with the rest of MSNBC, is dying a slow ratings death. MSNBC lost 23% of their primetime viewers and 39% of their younger viewers in comparison to January 2014. The problems at MSNBC continue to be driven by leaders who have no clue who their potential viewers are, and what they want. The strategy of deploying series of Rachel Maddow clones throughout the schedule has chased viewers away while diluting the distinctiveness of their star program.

Loyal MSNBC viewers have been unhappy with Morning Joe for years, and they have finally walked away from the program. A Pew study on media polarization found that CNN has replaced MSNBC as the preferred network for liberal. Morning Joe will continue to hurt MSNBC until they realize the common sense idea that liberals and progressives don’t want to listen to three of Joe Scarborough’s Republican talking points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2015 3:13 PM

He may not be good at talking but I loved his song from "The Greatest American Hero"

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2015 10:53 AM

You are insulting Mika. She knows her worth.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2015 11:12 AM

The more Morning Joe tries to be like Fox & Friends the more the viewers turn out. If viewers want to hear right wing talking points for 3 hours they simply go to Fox.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2015 11:16 AM

Amen, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2015 11:23 AM

OP forgot to mention that over 24-hours MSNBC is the lowest rated cable service.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2015 11:32 AM

MSNBC is the lowest rated because they've continued to cancel the intelligent people's shows. It's turning into fox-entertainment-lite. The powers that be are so out of touch they continue to cut if their nose to spite their face.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2015 11:41 AM

Exactly, r6.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2015 11:49 AM

TPTB at MSNBC are Republicans and they want Republican shows to be a success. But if you're a Republican, you watch Fox. So the they make Morning Joe their flagship show and insist they'll never cancel it, even if no one watches, in the hope that if they hang there, Republicans will start watching.

It's a liberal network, put liberal shows on or you're going to lose the network. At this point, I think MSNBC is a tax deduction for NBC. They don't want it to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2015 2:02 PM

Most viewers want news not hot air in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2015 2:54 PM

R6, those "intelligent peoples' shows" were even lower rated that the remaining shows on MSNBC. You think a lot of people watched Ed Schultz? Don't deceive yourself, dude

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2015 3:00 PM

I don't understand. I mean Joe hasn't sung or played guitar on the show in over a year!

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2015 3:13 PM

MSNBC viewers want propaganda and re-enforcement, not discussion and dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2015 4:36 PM

I'd actually watch Morning Joe over anything on CNN. Their programming is inept!

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2015 4:38 PM

MSNBC has morphed from reasonable, Liberal leaning (as far as opinion shows) network but reliable news source, to all-out SJW central. "Morning Joe" is one of their most reasonable and Moderate programs, yet MSNBC viewers are now more in-tune with Melissa Harris-Perry's tampon earrings and invitation of Terrorist sympathizers and Black Panthers.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2015 4:39 PM

Fire meeka manor

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2015 5:08 PM

r15 Klingon? Esperanto?

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2015 7:16 PM

I don't care about Morning Joe. But its absolutely beyond words how fucked-up the news division of NBC is!

For fifteen years The Today Show was on all our TV's. I cannot tolerate even two minutes of it now,and for years. So since the Anne Curry debacle I tend to read everything that pops-up as regards the shit-show that is NBC. The gossip and "unnamed sources" are like Jacqueline Sussan & Jackie Collins tried to outdo each other. By the way I've been saying for years that Anne's "memoirs " have been ready for the printer for two years, and when they FINALLY let her out of her contract (gag-order!), if they ever do,I will be first on the pre-order list for that.

It seems there are only one or two untouchable executives who are responsible for EVERYTHING that's been going on there. EVERY SINGLE decision that gets made there is THE WRONG ONE!

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2015 7:50 PM

[quote] MSNBC is the lowest rated because they've continued to cancel the intelligent people's shows. It's turning into fox-entertainment-lite.

A democratic or just plain normal news channel is never going to be highly rated. Democrats and normal people are not the type of people to watch the news or news programs all day long. It's the republican viewers that will turn on fox news and listen to crazy ranting and raving all day. Democrats have lives. They work, they take care of their families and would rather solve problems than sit around listening to lunatics on some crazy so called "news network" or talk radio station. These people sit around all day listening to this bullshit and then rant and rave to each other about how shitty everything is. Get off your asses and try to fix things. The same advice goes to all the dumbfuck repug politicians who go on fox and bitch all day. Get off your asses and work/compromise with the democrats to come up with solutions.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2015 7:55 PM

[quote]It's the Republican viewers that will turn on fox news and listen to crazy ranting and raving all day.

It doesn't help that pop-pop left the clicker atop the teevee and you know he ain't gettin' up from his la-Z-boy.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2015 8:15 PM

It doesn't help that it's on at 3AM on the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2015 8:21 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2015 10:01 PM

You're not kidding, R20.

The only time I watched the beginning of Morning Joe is when I stayed up all night filing and kept on MSNBC to stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2015 11:00 PM

[quote]The only time I watched the beginning of Morning Joe is when I stayed up all night filing and kept on MSNBC to stay awake.

You must have REALLY long nails!

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2015 11:37 PM

[quote]Most viewers want news not hot air in the morning.

So how do you explain the success of "Fox and Friends"?

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2015 11:38 PM

Sally, if they were that long, I would have used a pair of scissors and spared myself Morning Joe.

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2015 10:07 PM

MSNBC is making the big mistake of keeping Morning Joe on the air.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2015 12:57 AM

MSNBC Threw Liberals Under The Bus And Is Now The Lowest Rated News Network

MSNBC claimed that they were boosting their ratings by dumping their liberal hosts and switching to news, but over the last 4 weekdays, they have been the lowest rated cable news network three times with the key 25-54 demo audience.

On August 13, the daytime demo viewership numbers via TVNewser were FNC: 236,000 | CNN: 118,000 | MSNBC: 75,000 | HLN: 102,000. The next MSNBC rose to third place during the day by beating Headline News in the demo 103,000 to 88,000. On Monday, August 17, it was Headline News 102,000 and MSNBC 92,000. MSNBC lost to Headline News again yesterday by a margin of 98,000 demo viewers to 81,000 demo viewers.

Maybe the problem at MSNBC wasn’t that viewers did not want liberal politics. The problem was and remains that viewers would like programs that are interesting. MSNBC’s primetime is not great shape either. The network’s primetime lineup is mired in third place and losing ground to CNN on a daily basis. The Rachel Maddow Show is the only thing that is keeping MSNBC primetime from last place

The bosses at MSNBC threw liberals under the bus when it is clear that one of the main issues at the network is that the people who are in charge stopped listening to their audience. MSNBC’s attempted move to news is not going to go well because CNN already has that market cornered. When breaking news happens, those Americans who don’t watch Fox News turn to CNN.

MSNBC lacks the resources to compete with CNN on the news front. MSNBC execs tried to feed viewers a bunch of dull cookie-cutter shows and didn’t care when viewers responded by not watching. It wasn’t that the programming was too liberal. The hosts, with the exception of Ed Schultz, were dull and lacked the kind of strong personality that is required for success in cable news. Each of the personalities that were let go were talented people, but they were miscast and hung out to dry by a network leadership that lacked clear vision and direction.

MSNBC is sinking, and giving Chuck Todd Ed Schultz’s old timeslot is not going to save them. MSNBC execs are getting what they deserve, as liberals have taken their viewership elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2015 4:04 PM

R27 "Threw Liberals under The bus"? Melissa Harris-Perry has leaders of The Black Panthers and Islamic terrorists on. MSNBC isn't exactly abandoning the Leftie extremists.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2015 4:07 PM

[quote] MSNBC has morphed from reasonable, Liberal leaning (as far as opinion shows) network but reliable news source, to all-out SJW central. "Morning Joe" is one of their most reasonable and Moderate programs, yet MSNBC viewers are now more in-tune with Melissa Harris-Perry's tampon earrings and invitation of Terrorist sympathizers and Black Panthers.

[quote] "Threw Liberals under The bus"? Melissa Harris-Perry has leaders of The Black Panthers and Islamic terrorists on. MSNBC isn't exactly abandoning the Leftie extremists.

The ever present militant black boogeyman and feminist black she devil strike again! They're coming for you R14, 28. They're going to get you and your little dog too!

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2015 5:27 PM

I've been shocked at how much MSNBC has shifted right since the programming shakeup. The hosts routinely bash Hillary, talk non-stop about Trump, and ignore the right wing idiocy of the other candidates. They've now become a clone of CNN, which is why their ratings are tanking. They need to get Olbermann back, get some better liberal hosts and get rid of Morning Joe. The ratings struggles before were not because of politics but because of boring shows with terrible hosts (Chris Hayes, Al Sharpton, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2015 5:44 PM

I agree, r30.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2015 6:37 PM

Every actor I know in LA has his/her own web series; there are too many channels, too many options, everything needs to be done cheaper faster and in a more sensational way to grab ratings.

The TV advertiser supported business is going to implode on itself. Too many options.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2015 6:39 PM

MSNBC viewers want discussion and dialogue not propaganda and re-enforcement.

There, R12, fixed that for you.

Unless you meant to write:

Fixed News viewers want propaganda and re-enforcement, not discussion and dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2015 6:55 PM

I really liked Morning Joe in its first year before Joe started sucking up to Mika. There was an entirely different lineup of regulars, including John Ridley who I love, and it was much hipper and rough around the edges. They dumped that producer and it's been all downhill since.

But I still think it's better than Fox and Fiends. I couldn't watch 5 minutes of that crapfest if you paid me. I switched to CNN about 6 months ago. The white chick on with Cuomo used to be on F and F pre-show, She's a bit too bright for that network.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2015 6:12 AM

I lost interest as Mika as let Joe run all over her one too many timws. Mika could be a panelist on The View. She was hungover a few years ago as tgey went live after some big event and she did the entire show wearing sunglasses and behaving like "movie star. " Then recently she play acted feigning embarrassment as that sex maniac Russell Brand proceeded to tease about the way she instinctively likes "putting her hands around a shaft." She loved every second of it. They need someone with a brain and as for Joe, I'm sure if he just phoned it in from Florida home, no one would care. He's just a thug. I remember Mika supporting Chris Christie over that bridge/highway traffic fiasco. Day after dsy after ****** day. It was unrelenting. Yup, I cancelled my MSNBC cable subscription not long after. She simply is not intellectually interview material. A panel show for women on lighter topics is probably a better fit for Mika. Why they continue to keep her on hoping her "chemistry" with Joe is the winning formula is beyond me. If I want real analytical news and informed, intellectual debate or discourse, -it's BBC for this viewer.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2015 6:58 AM

I honestly have always enjoyed Al Sharpton's show!

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2015 8:37 AM

I don't think MSNBC wants to save the network. They want to destroy it now and write it off as a tax write off. The liberals can watch networks like Free Speech TV and networks like that.

Fox News watchers are not going to abandon Fox & Friends to watch Morning Joe. Plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2015 12:01 PM

This could also be a sign that unemployment is shrinking. Holla!!

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2015 12:17 PM

Plus, Morning Joe is losing viewers everyday.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2015 10:28 PM

Here's Rachel reacting to the "success" of the news strategy of running to the right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2015 10:33 PM

Morning Joe "Slams" Fox News and says MSNBC's Changing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2015 3:54 PM

I detested Morning Joe when I first started tuning in, but somehow it's grown on me. I'm a bleeding heart liberal. Somehow, they don't get under my skin and it's pretty mild for early morning viewing to see what the other side is saying and "reporting."

Lately, it has been in the decline, even for them.

What I'm more interested in, is the sudden disappearance of Lawrence O'Donnell from panel discussions. They got into a snit on air when Trump was first making the scene. Lawrence was obviously upset over the in-awe clucking over Trump and hasn't been back since. His decision, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2015 4:10 PM

Lawrence won't play the media-driven Trump Game. He knows Trump is a sideshow concocted by Trump and the GOP to keep interest (and racism) going for the 24/7 cable networks during the dog days of August.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2015 4:19 PM

I read that during Memorial Day Weekend MSNBC aired sports rather than the usual prison stuff on weekends and it did well in the ratings. I wonder if they're just going to let MSNBC die off, say it's bad ratings and make another sports network out of it?

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2015 5:11 PM

Good for Lawrence, r43.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2015 5:20 PM

I don't blame Lawrence O'Donnell for not playing the Donald Trump game like a lot of the networks are doing these days.

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2015 5:25 PM

The only show like this I can tolerate early in the morning is Morning Express with Robin Meade. It's funnier and more low key than the rest. I don't want to be screamed at first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2015 5:29 PM

Joe Scarborough is a shit stirrer.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2015 7:07 PM

I watch CNN in the mornings during the weekdays. I watch Robin Meade on HLN on occasion. Though I watch Weekend Express with Lynn Smith on the weekends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2015 8:04 PM

I lost interest in the show when, way too often, Joe got up on his soapbox and spewed forth his opinions without allowing any of the other guests to get a word in edgewise. It was tiresome. I wanted to tell him to "SHUT UP!"

by Anonymousreply 50August 30, 2015 6:45 AM

The sports guy on Robin Meade's Morning Express is Brian McFadden (sp?) and I swear I had a baby gay crush on him years ago but not too sure how I would have seen him.

by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2015 7:36 AM

MSNBC has the nerve to give Morning Joe an extra hour this month. Morning Joe will be on in the morning for four hours. They are getting rid of the Latino guy Jose somebody. Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2015 11:34 PM

I don't understand people who watch TV during the day.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2015 11:50 PM

I don't either, r53.

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2015 3:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!