Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who here has had any run-ins with Fran Lebowitz?

I just love the bitch.

[quote]Tourism as a number-one industry is a terrible, terrible idea for any city, especially New York. If you were going to turn a city, which is a place where people live, into a tourist attraction, you're going to have to make it a place that people who don't live here, like. So I object to living in a place for people who don't live here. As it became more and more intense, it became more and more a place where the actual citizens are pushed out to the edges. A friend of mine always says this: "I don't care what kind of aesthetic people have; the second they have a kid, their house becomes horrible." The second you have a kid, whether you think it's going to or not, your house becomes full of plastic junk. So this is the same with tourists. The city will sink to that level of having a house of three- year-old children, so they like certain things, they don't like certain things. And they like things that you don't like, or that I don't like. I do object to it. And I would like to see fewer and fewer tourists and I'm tired of hearing about how much money they bring to the city because the kind of jobs the tourists bring to the city are the worst jobs. They're hotel maid jobs, they're jobs that have no future to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2017 9:52 PM

Nobody's seen her? Ever?

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2016 7:02 PM

If only she had lived in Nevada in 1910.

Nah, they wouldn't have listened to her there and then either.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2016 7:05 PM

I found a $50 bill on the sidewalk outside her place in the village.

Kept it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2016 7:16 PM

I was in a small elevator with her in 2010 and her b.o. was nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2016 7:22 PM

Fran's right. NYC doesn't need interlopers so Fran should have stayed in her home state of New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2016 7:52 PM

Wise woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2016 7:54 PM

R4 I don't believe that for a second.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2016 8:23 PM

Well I guess we'll just have to assume she's never been on vacation, stayed in a hotel or seen any of the standard tourist attractions at overseas destinations. No Mona Lisa viewing for her because hey, only the locals should enjoy that.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2016 8:47 PM

Where the fuck is she? I've wanted to run into her for years. I've met everyone else I've wanted to run into but not Fran and not Mel Brooks. She would be my perfect dinner companion except I'd ban smoking and then sit back and let 'er rip.

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2016 9:09 PM

I don't understand it either. She's a lesbian, knows everybody, goes to parties all the time and nobody on this board has met her, no personal gossip, nothing. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2016 9:15 PM

By the way, this is the first I've heard her acknowledge she's gay: "Not because I'm not gay."

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2016 9:19 PM

I've always loved her idea of the perfect home in NYC would be the Metropolitan Museum with a sofa thrown in.

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2016 9:42 PM

She has talked about about how she has always lived alone and what an accomplishment that was, for a lesbian. Also she told about what an ex-girlfriend said about her 'relationship style'.

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2016 9:43 PM

Oh, that Fran Lebowitz - what a meshugganah!

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2016 10:08 PM

I see her frequently at a neighborhood Italian restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2016 10:28 PM

So, anything you might share?

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2016 10:52 PM

I saw her at the candy store. She turned around and smiled at me. You get the picture?

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2016 11:11 PM

She makes a good point about cities favoring tourists over residents. Basic services for residents get neglected because all the city's money gets spent on shiny tourist magnets - airports, convention centers, ballparks, etc. New shopping complexes that are supposed to be "hip" and "trendy" become immediate tourist traps and the locals ignore them. Meanwhile a million potholes go unrepaired. I think R8 doesn't quite get Fran's point.

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2016 11:22 PM

She and R18 are both right. You should want to visit places for the character. Not for the same Forever 21 and Olive Garden that you have in your local mall.

The city shouldn't cater to the tourists. Tourists will still come if New York stays New York, That should be the point. Of course, it's too late now.

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2016 12:17 AM

I ran into her at a gas station. She asked me to pump her gas. I said no.

by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2016 12:29 AM

My friend Bruce worked in a bookstore in Philly some years back when she came into the store. He said she was very personable and easy to talk to. I love hearing her ramble on about any subject. She does repeat her jokes sometimes, but what old person doesn't. This is one of my favorite talks by her about NYU.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2016 12:35 AM

r17

yes we see.

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2016 12:58 AM

She's the female version of Truman Capote. She mingles constantly in high society where she knocks over bored rich people with her repartee.

Like Tru, she's their bought-and-paid-for entertainment monkey.

It's how she survives in Manhattan without having written a book in decades.

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2016 4:14 AM

How sad is it R17 , R22 , that we even know that song ?

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2016 4:52 AM

Is she trying to look like Allen Ginsberg?

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2016 5:08 AM

Yeah, why do people go to New York City and then eat at an Olive Garden, when there are so many authentic, Mom-and-Pop style Italian eateries there, where they could get the real thing?

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2016 5:15 AM

r26 I don't get it at all. People spend all that money to come to NY so they can go shopping at Macy's and eat at Olive Garden, and all the other stuff that they all have in the mall at home. Traveling is supposed to be about experiencing things that you don't have at home, that's the whole point. I don't understand it.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2016 5:23 AM

Me neither. Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2016 5:41 AM

R24, I think all 4 of us are fabulous. I'm 38, I just like good music.

by Anonymousreply 29July 16, 2016 5:43 AM

R27 you have a point, but Macy's is the wrong example, considering that the NYC Macy's is the original Glagship store, dating back to the 1900's, and with all the Christmas Windows and Thanksgiving Day Parade, it is indeed way different than any mall store.

[quote]Well I guess we'll just have to assume she's never been on vacation, stayed in a hotel or seen any of the standard tourist attractions at overseas destinations. No Mona Lisa viewing for her because hey, only the locals should enjoy that.

You totally missed her point. Tourism is not Paris' number one industry. Neither is it New York's (yet), but the latter is on more serious danger of becoming a mall catering to tourists (and billionaire home owners who live there one week a year) than the former. Think Disney, Orlando, Cape Cod, Key West, or some Caribbean Island full of cruise ships and you won't think of Paris, but more and more, you'll think of Times Square and Ground Zero.

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2016 6:26 AM

I saw her a few days ago crossing Houston st. She was alone and smiling. Walks like a marching soldier. I wanted to talk to her but she was a bit too far for me to be assed, so I just moved on. I'm a fan.

by Anonymousreply 31July 16, 2016 7:00 AM

It's always hilarious, seeing American tourists in Europe, eating at Burger King rather than at the German Christmas market they just visited, eating at Pizza Hut in Italy or at KFC when they are in Paris. What's the point, eh?

by Anonymousreply 32July 16, 2016 8:36 AM

Dolly and Fran might be the oddest lesbian pairing I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 33July 16, 2016 8:57 AM

Dolly and Fran have never met. That is another DL myth.

by Anonymousreply 34July 16, 2016 10:18 AM

I ran into her at the Angelic many years ago, but we didn't talk.

She reeks mean, nasty, Jew dyke who would rip your eyes out because they're there.

by Anonymousreply 35July 16, 2016 10:31 AM

R34 Just google their names and hit picture search.

by Anonymousreply 36July 16, 2016 10:47 AM

I used to live near her. She actually did a bit about our super Mr Roper in one of her essays. She was very aloof, smoked like a chimney, and always seemed late for wherever she was going. I don't think she actually lived off of her writing at the time. I seem to remember that someone supported her (Graydon Carter?).

by Anonymousreply 37July 16, 2016 11:01 AM

I fucked her with my strap on. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2016 11:02 AM

Fran pays for things with a Balzac shrug and a few benefactors. She's got it figured out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 16, 2016 11:22 AM

She intrigues me, and I should track down more of her readings. A long, long time ago, I remember reading one of her essays in which she stated how SHE is offended by OTHERS who are offended by HER smoking. That's probably as good a personality snapshot of her as any I've heard.

Steve Martin, by the way, once gave the precise response one should give (back in that era anyway) to when someone asks if you mind if they smoke: "Sure, mind if I fart?"

by Anonymousreply 40July 16, 2016 12:37 PM

r32 Now I feel guilty about eating at McDonald's while I was in London.

by Anonymousreply 41July 16, 2016 1:05 PM

"She reeks mean, nasty, Jew dyke who would rip your eyes out because they're there."

So?

by Anonymousreply 42July 16, 2016 1:12 PM

When I worked at the makeup counter, I tried to sell her makeup. She just stormed right past me.

by Anonymousreply 43July 16, 2016 3:56 PM

[quote] I wanted to talk to her but she was a bit too far for me to be assed, so I just moved on.

I would have assed her from a distance

by Anonymousreply 44July 16, 2016 3:58 PM

Some people are more talented at assing than others.

by Anonymousreply 45July 16, 2016 4:07 PM

[quote]She would be my perfect dinner companion except I'd ban smoking and then sit back and let 'er rip.

If you were to ban her from smoking, she would only let 'er rip in a way that would send you scrambling to light a match.

by Anonymousreply 46July 16, 2016 5:30 PM

She's often discomforting correct.

And LA is turning into a Chinese tourist town.

But Downtown LA is very seedy and embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 47July 16, 2016 8:33 PM

R44, Fran, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 48July 16, 2016 8:47 PM

It's amazing how little gossip there is about her private life considering how many famous, rich, gay people she's been hanging out with for decades.

by Anonymousreply 49July 16, 2016 9:47 PM

Fran is too lazy to have a scandalous private life. She is more of an observer. She probably spends her days smoking and taking naps.

by Anonymousreply 50July 16, 2016 9:58 PM

R49, I suspect her private life isn't all that interesting. when one hangs out with , famous, rich, etc. people, it is best to simply be a mirror in which they can see their own reflection.

by Anonymousreply 51July 16, 2016 9:58 PM

I love her take on what Times Square really needs: a butcher and a stationary store.

And that the AIDS epidemic is largely responsible for the dumbing down of gay culture.

by Anonymousreply 52July 16, 2016 10:23 PM

Fran had an excellent monologue in the Martin Scorcese documentary about the impact of AIDS on our culture and society. Her basic point was that not only did AIDS kill off so many talented, creative people but it also killed off an entire audience of tastemakers who shaped the entire culture. Our culture has never recovered from the loss, and everything has just kept getting dumbed down.

by Anonymousreply 53July 16, 2016 10:29 PM

^ I remember that Fran comment, too, from the Scorcese doc, and I was bowled over by it. It is so true.

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2016 12:26 AM

How can I contrive to run into her? It's nuts that I haven't met her yet.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2016 9:36 PM

Wise lady indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2016 10:04 PM

She's an insufferable cunt

by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2016 10:37 PM

Why did you say no R20

by Anonymousreply 58November 13, 2016 7:52 AM

She's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2016 8:53 PM

When I was a kid, I thought she was one the characters Lily Tomlin played, like Edith Ann. I liked Edith Ann more.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2016 11:02 PM

I totally understand being a tourist and eating McDonald's.

I was in Italy for a week. After yet another Italian meal, I just couldn't take it any more. In Venice I asked the concierge for the nearest McDonald's.

We're spoiled in America with all our food choices. I can't imagine eating the food of one country for every meal

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2016 11:38 PM

R61, I agree completely. I was in England and rather disgusted with their bacon and some other food items, and found a KFC for some sensory piece of mind. I haven't had KFC in America in a decade, but it was a comfort overseas.

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2016 2:08 AM

Fran needs her own talk show.

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2016 2:10 AM

I think Fran!s first and only episode will be on how she hates TV, doesn't even have one, and how she wishes she had a radio show instead.

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2016 2:34 AM

Fran would be great on talk radio. Or maybe a podcast.

I have been a fan for decades and have been fortunate enough to see her in person twice. The first time was at a lesbian birthday party in Brooklyn. I was very young and lacked the nerve to approach her. I vividly recall her style, which I admired: an immaculately tailored blazer and men's shorts (it was summer). And penny loafers.

The second time was on line at a movie, about 12-15 years ago. Again, fabulously turned out, in a tweedy way.

She's 66 years old and I think she's slowing down on the public appearances and social whirl. She does seem to know everyone interesting in NYC.

I would like to come back as her in my next life.

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2016 2:51 AM

As a smoker, 66 is like 85.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2016 3:36 AM

She likes tall, smart, pretty women.

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2016 3:37 AM

I saw her walking on the UWS once - 20 years ago. It was one of those New York experiences - it only registered who she was until I was way past her.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2016 3:42 AM

I would love to see Fran have a weekly podcast, where she gives her opinions about every topic imaginable. She could do it out of her apartment, so she wouldn't have to get off her couch or go outside to smoke.

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2016 4:44 PM

R65

Men's shorts? Really ? So they are ok if she's wearing them?

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2016 6:37 AM

Fran wrote one of the funniest essays I've ever read. It was about youth and how it's not that great. I can't find it anywhere online. Does anyone know what the name of it is or where I can find it? I think it was in Vanity Fair in the late 90's/early 2000's.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2016 7:46 AM

And the '20 questions' article from Playboy in 1984, please

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2016 5:51 PM

E Jean Carroll wrote an amusing article about camping with Fran years ago. The gist was Fran stayed in the tent reading and smoking the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2016 8:13 PM

Looking at her photos seems to be a fairly accurate look at Jesse Eisenberg in a few decades, or maybe Fran some decades ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2016 8:53 PM

R70 I thought the same thing. When I read that she said men should never wear shorts because it makes them look like little boys I felt lame because I wear shorts all the time. Im in California though so maybe/hopefully it is considered less gauche here,relatively.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2016 10:09 PM

I bought one of her books in the 80s. It was so dreary. It was a small book. I put it down and think it ended up in the garbage a few weeks later. I just listened to the poster's favorite lecture or talk by her (on this thread)........She's still the same tedious, whining, vapid raconteur. That talk in fact - complaining about about the location of school campuses - just made me think she is a frustrated Urban Planner.

I don't find her thinking terribly deep. Or interesting.

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2016 11:14 PM

My neighborhood ceased the "right turn on red" in a major intersection. Among the first two to be hit by cars turning anyway were the urban designers. Dumbasses. It took a long time, but eventually they changed it back.

Note to urban planners: pedestrians always want to have the 'walk signal", but drivers don't want to take 45 min to go 1 mile, to accommodate some pedestrians who don't want to share the road.

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2016 12:20 AM

Until recently, I thought she and Annie Leibovitz were the same person. I'm sorry, Annie!

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2016 12:43 AM

R32, some may be conserving their money on breakfast and lunch so they could afford a nice dinner every night. Out of touch much?

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2017 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!