Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vittorio Gassman

Just saw Il Sorpasso for the first time. He has to be one of the most beautiful men in film ever.

I know he had a relationship with Shelley Winters, but any other gossip or appreciations?????

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2020 7:10 AM

He's great in Bitter Rice with Silvana Mangano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2015 6:38 PM

I saw him in the Glass Wll recently on TV

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2015 6:56 PM

[quote]I know he had a relationship with Shelley Winters, but any other gossip or appreciations?????

He didn't just have a relationship with Shelley Winters, they were married and had a daughter together.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2015 7:00 PM

How Shelley bagged so many male beauts (Granger, Gassman, Franciosa, etc.) in her time is a big mystery to me. She must have been able to suck the chrome off a Hudson Commodore.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2015 7:10 PM

I saw her walking around NYC with her daughter once. She was in her 60s but had the most amazing skin. She probably put out the same radiance as Marilyn when younger. And she was smarter and not so needy.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2015 7:30 PM

R4, not to mention Brando, Olivier, Errol Flynn, Sean Connery, John Ireland, and Burt Lancaster, most of whom were still around when she spilled the tea in her autobiography. Not a single one of them denied it.

Gassman was sex on a stick in Il Sorpaso. I loved his swagger.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2015 7:42 PM

[quote]not to mention Brando, Olivier, Errol Flynn, Sean Connery, John Ireland, and Burt Lancaster

In all fairness, Brando would sleep with anybody. The only one that turned him down was Elaine Stritch.

And I think Shelley got all those men because she was willing and didn't demand a lot.

I'm sure Marian Seldes was too classy of a woman to spill the dirt, but she shared an apartment with Shelley and she must have really known some good gossip.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2015 8:52 PM

His son Alessandro is a popular actor in Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2015 9:02 PM

He was such a magnificent actor! Drama, comedy, Elizabethan Theatre... he could really do it all. And yes, very handsome too. He suffered deep depression in the last years of his life.... wrote some books about it

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2015 9:54 PM

That name. Gassman. It couldn't have helped.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2015 1:15 PM

Love him in "War and Peace" with Audrey Hepburn. Plays Prince Anatole Keratin, a hot stud who just wants to fuck her, and almost succeeds.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2015 2:18 PM

Shelley Winters when she was young r4 and r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2015 3:10 PM

Saw him in two films, loved him in both. Incredible charisma. Would love to see some really good films of his, if anyone has any recommandations.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2015 3:17 PM

Besides her va-va-va-voom figure, young Shirley was a smart Jewish girl who read good books, could be quite witty and had opinions on matters beyond Hollywood politics.

So, of course, lots of intelligent men were interested. She could actually hold a conversation, which was highly unusual in Golden Age Hollywood relationships.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2015 5:28 PM

R13 Il Sorpasso is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2015 5:30 PM

Shelley once revealed that when she was rooming with Marilyn Monroe, they each made a list of all the men they wanted to sleep with. Shelley's list had all the hot, handsome leading men of the time, while on Marilyn's list there was not a single guy under 50, and many of them were nerdy intellectual types like Albert Einstein. These gals certainly knew what they wanted and went for it. And guys being guys, if even an average looking person (as Shelley was even in her slim days) wants action, they'll happily oblige.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2015 5:58 PM

Yep, Shelley would never have wanted to nail Arthur Miller, and likewise, I'm sure. She liked I-Ty studs, and pretty gay boys like Farley.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2015 6:35 PM

what an explosive combination of names Gassman and Poots

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2018 11:39 AM

In his older age he became an insufferable ham.

I'd change the channel when ever he appeared on TV which unfortunately was frequent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2018 12:14 PM

He ruined his looks with drinking and chain smoking. Looked about 65 when he was only 50...

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2019 2:33 AM

His son Alessandro steamed it up in Steam (1997)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2019 3:51 AM

Faccia bella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2020 7:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!