Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In Your Opinion, The Most Famous Dress In A Movie

Many come to mind, but in your opinion what dress worn in a film is the most famous ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 3, 2020 2:25 AM

I voted for Eva Marie Saint because both she and that dress are a knockout, but the real winner is Marilyn(both dresses) and Judy's gingham from the WOZ.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2015 4:55 PM

Sorry i'm not THAT gay to pay attention to these things

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2015 4:56 PM

Both ladies looked spectacular in this scene from GPB.

Bette's white shimmery gown in "Now, Voyager."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2015 5:03 PM

The most iconic dress in GWTW is the red number Scarlett wore to Ashley's birthday party.

That said, I voted for Marilyn's white 7 year itch dress, though Audrey's little black dress from BaT comes close.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2015 6:06 PM

That faux-farthingale(if there is such a term, if not, there is now) that Audrey Hepburn wore to the big party in "Sabrina," shouldn't be forgotten. I vote for MM's halter top number, everybody seems to know about it, could recognize it and would say, "Oh yeah, that's what I was thinking of."

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2015 6:13 PM

Carrie's blood-stained prom dress.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2015 6:21 PM

This dress should have been on the list !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2015 6:22 PM

It's not the winner, but Julie Andrew's dress in the opening shots of The Sound of Music is up there.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2015 6:28 PM

I don't know any of those women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2015 8:16 PM

This was designed just for the sensibilities of you people!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2015 8:21 PM

Designed to draw attention away from the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2015 8:26 PM

The original question was about the most famous dress in a movie, not the most beautiful or the most distinctive dress. So bearing that in mind, I would say the obvious answer is Judy Garland's blue gingham in THE WIZARD OF OZ, because there is no movie more famous or seen by more people than that one.

Marilyn's dress is THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH is very, very famous because the focus is so much on the dress (and how it blows up) in that scene. Several of the others on OP's list really don't deserve to be there by any stretch of the imagination. Tippi's dress in THE BIRDS? Really?

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2015 8:31 PM

I voted for Marilyn's white dress, but r11 has my personal pick for the most famous dress.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2015 8:33 PM

Yeah I would put the Ascot number up there. One of the most brilliant costumes ever.

It was worth Andrews not getting the film just so that Audrey could make her sensational entrance in that thing.

Anybody else wearing it including Andrews would have been pathetic.

And then god knows how but Hepburn manages to top it with the embassy ball gown.

Look at pictures of Andrews in the Broadway production. She was not at her best wearing Beaton.

Jeakins was a better designer for her. And she looks great in SOM and Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2015 8:38 PM

Does anyone really think Julia Roberts' dress in PRETTY WOMAN is THE most famous in film history? Do people not understand what "most famous" means?

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2015 8:40 PM

Florence Henderson's hvit kjole in "Song of Norway."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2015 9:44 PM

To R15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2015 9:54 PM

Deborah Kerr's ballgown in "The King and I" deserves an honorable mention.

Who knew a massive hoop skirt could move so beautifully?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2015 10:00 PM

The wedding dress Sadie Frost wore in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2015 10:02 PM

Grace Jones as May Day in James Bond: A View to a Kill

She sure made an entrance with that one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2015 10:07 PM

Thank Karl that Keira Knightley's green town in Atonement wasn't a contemporary option #overrated.

My favourite Audrey dress is the white affair covered in black flowers from the party in Sabrina.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2015 10:13 PM

Scarlett's green velvet dress is the one she makes out of curtains, and since that's the only dress to provide a major plot point in the most popular movies ever made, I think we can safely say it is the most famous dress ever in a movie.

The most iconic (which is different from the most famous) is the white dress Marilyn wears in The Seven Year Itch.

The best dress is the green dress Keira Knightley wears in Atonement.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2015 10:14 PM

[quote]Elizabeth Taylor's strapless gown with floral pedals from A PLACE IN THE SUN

I don't remember the bike scene in this movie (with flowers, yet -- should be hard to forget).

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2015 10:24 PM

Probably the most famous recycled gown was Glinda's. Jeanette MacDonald wore it two years earlier in the opera scene in "San Francisco."

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2015 10:36 PM

Bette's black party dress in All About Eve.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2015 10:40 PM

Audrey Hepburn has three iconic dresses, My Fair Lady, Breakfast at Tiffany's, but this is the dress that gave the world a "New Look", the Givenchy dress from Sabrina. It is reported to have drawn "ahhhs" from the movie goers at the most critical point of the movie. This is my favorite Famous Dress in a movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2015 10:48 PM

r26 Tip o' the hat for posting it, friend.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2015 10:53 PM

Yes, R25 , so famous that you don't even know that it's brown, not black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2015 10:59 PM

I think that the point is most famous that it is instantly recognizable as well as what movie it was worn in. The gorgeous dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in the photograph above: I doubt that as many would know whether she wore it in Sabrina vs. Roman Holiday vs. Funny Face whereas the ones in the poll are more readily & accurately recognized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2015 10:59 PM

The dress at R26 was actually a move away from the "New Look" of the late forties and early fifties, when full crinoline sirts were in fashion, the Sabrina gown was actually a half-skirt/cape/bustle thing over a sheath dress. It was a precursor to the severe column gowns of the early sixties, rather than the look of the moment.

Yeah, slap my ass and call me "MARY!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2015 11:05 PM

[quote]I doubt that as many would know whether she wore it in Sabrina vs. Roman Holiday vs. Funny Face

r29, you do realize that this is Data Lounge?

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2015 11:20 PM

That dress won me a well deserved Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2015 11:27 PM

Marry me r30

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2015 11:30 PM

Are there any iconic looks in "Funny Face"? It was an Audrey Hepburn movie about the fashion world, yet I don't know if there is any single gown in that film that's considered iconic.

I hope this hat is, though, it had a solo number and just glowed against the dull background of the bookshop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2015 11:33 PM

Marilyn's white dress is far and away the most famous.iconic dress of the 20th century.It sold for over 5 million at an auction.The most money ever paid for a costume.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2015 11:47 PM

"Sabrina" was 1954; the New Look (which was championed by Christian Dior, not Hubert de Givenchy) debuted in 1947 and was immediately introduced to the world over by fashion magazines of the time. So by the time of "Sabrina" the world had known the New Look for a good seven years.

This is what is considered the most typical outfit (the bar jacket with skirt) from Dior's "New Look" line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2015 11:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2015 11:59 PM

This dress is absolutely hideous, but I bet it would be much more recognizable to most people today than any of the OP's choices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2015 12:02 AM

Any dress worn by the glamorous and feminine Cillian Muprhy.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2015 12:46 AM

For R34, The iconic and cinema-graphic dress from Funny Face. The dress on the steps in front of the Winged Victory of Samothrace. Legendary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2015 1:49 AM

The pink suit worn in Dallas that day was not new. Jackie had been photographed wearing it in public at least twice before, without the hat.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2015 1:58 AM

"Yes, [R25] , so famous that you don't even know that it's brown, not black"

- E. Head

Oh, shut up, you ugly dyke. You won the Oscar for it in the B&W category.

Psst, the red gown in "Jezebel" wasn't really red.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2015 2:03 AM

"The iconic and cinema-graphic dress from Funny Face. The dress on the steps in front of the Winged Victory of Samothrace. "

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2015 2:04 AM

[quote] The pink suit worn in Dallas that day was not new. Jackie had been photographed wearing it in public at least twice before, without the hat.

Did anyone say it had to be new?

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2015 2:10 AM

For Grace Kelly, I would have instead listed the ice blue gown she wore in "To Catch a Thief".

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2015 2:15 AM

After "The Old Maid" was released in 1939, the wedding dress Bette Davis wore in the film was copied by brides everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2015 2:19 AM

Bad link . . . here's Bette in "The Old Maid".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2015 2:23 AM

I hope that the brides wearing copies of Bette's "Old Maid" gown had better luck with their weddings than she did in that movie!

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2015 2:51 AM

apparently The Lady Eve dress was copied by every celebrity magazine fan in Peoria and thereabouts in the early 40s. I know The Lady Eve was a Barbara Stanwyck movie but not quite sure what dress exactly started the fashion trend.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2015 3:18 AM

Sorry, Bette at R47-50,000 copies of my dress were sold in 1932.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2015 3:31 AM

1) Judy Garland The Wizard of Oz 2) Viven Leigh Gone With The Wind 3) Bette Davis All About Eve

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2015 3:36 AM

Another vote for Dorothy's "Wizard of Oz" dress--EVERYONE knows that dress. So iconic that, to this day, various "Oz" updates, remakes, and re-imaginations feature a variation of it.

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2015 3:50 AM

The question is "The most famous dress in a movie". As I read it, it's the dress that's famous and should be recognizable if it's hanging on a wall, not just on the actress in the scene in the movie.

Using that criteria, one must eliminate several dresses on the list as I'm not convinced one would immediately recognize the dress alone. Eliminate: Audrey's, Marilyn's pink, Rita's, Grace's, Tippi's, Eva's.

That leaves Marilyn's halter, Vivien's green velvet of Scarlett, Judy's blue gingham, and Elizabeth's white strapless. Of these 4, I have to vote in this order:

1. Judy's blue gingham,

2. Vivien's green velvet

3. Marilyn's halter

4. Elizabeth's white strapless.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2015 4:21 AM

[quote]Another vote for Dorothy's "Wizard of Oz" dress--EVERYONE knows that dress. So iconic that, to this day, various "Oz" updates, remakes, and re-imaginations feature a variation of it.

Perhaps because that's the way the original author described it?.....

Dorothy had only one other dress, but that happened to be clean and was hanging on a peg beside her bed. It was gingham, with checks of white and blue; and although the blue was somewhat faded with many washings, it was still a pretty frock.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2015 4:31 AM

[quote] Perhaps because that's the way the original author described it?..... Dorothy had only one other dress, but that happened to be clean and was hanging on a peg beside her bed. It was gingham, with checks of white and blue; and although the blue was somewhat faded with many washings, it was still a pretty frock. —Anonymous

What we have here, r54, is a rare case of "source material not being the first thing tossed into the producer's trash can".

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2015 4:41 AM

Mary Tyler Moore and the ugly green dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2015 6:14 AM

I like thinking about the red dress.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2015 7:01 AM

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2015 8:00 AM

just put on some panties and call it a day

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2015 1:38 PM

Julia Roberts red dress in the most iconic of all and nothing comes close. Anyone who denies is a hater and delusional

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2015 1:47 PM

she can use it in the divorce settlment

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2015 1:50 PM

I voted for GWTW because it's such a part of the story, but Rear Window and Seven Year Itch are strong contenders as well. Hell, most dresses in the poll are excellent contenders, depending on your taste / background.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2015 2:00 PM

r56 - MTM looks hot in that green dress!

JLo should wear it to the next Oscars™.

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2015 2:30 PM

r60 - I am a hater.

A hater of that dress (and also of Pretty Woman, but not of Julia Roberts).

Also, if the dress weren't on Julia Roberts, I wouldn't stand a chance of recognizing it.

It is nowhere in the same league as most of the others mentioned here.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2015 2:34 PM

I think Dorothy's dress in WoO is the most famous, seconded by Marilyn's white halter dress. Period. I liked the criterion you stated about seeing the dress on a hanger & it immediately evokes the movie. These two fulfill that. The one that's missing from the list is Elizabeth Taylor 's gold outfit as Cleopatra arriving in Rome. That was The Shit as far as I'm concerned.

But as to my favorites, I think Vivien Leigh had three in GWTW: The white and green dress she wore to the picnic in the opening, and the red dress Rhett forced her to wear to Mellie's birthday party, and the green velvet she wore that Mammy made from the drapes.

I loved the Ascot Races gown and the Embassy Ballgown in MFL. But one of my all time favorites is Grace Kelly's gown in To Catch a Thief. This is the night she and Cary Grant start out watching the fireworks in the hotel suite, and end up sexing it up. her dressing Rear Window that was already mentioned is another favorite. I didn't like Elizabeth Taylor's gown in A Place in the Sun. it was ordinary, and her beauty made it memorable.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2015 2:52 PM

There was somebody complaining about the Ascot dress which would be recognized by anybody who remembers the film of MFL as being a terrible design and wrong for the character.

I couldn't believe it. Look at Andrews in color photos of the original. I think she is dressed in pink. And visually compared to Hepburn she looks like a washout.

Beaton seems to have figured out he got it wrong on stage. Maybe that's why he called Andrews a bitch in her dressing room after the first performance. She couldn't wear his clothes as well as Hepburn, Caron and even Streisand. The white outfit at the Brighton Pavilion and the red she wears at her trial in On a Clear Day are among his most striking creations.

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2015 3:09 PM

[quote]Scarlett's green velvet dress is the one she makes out of curtains, and since that's the only dress to provide a major plot point in the most popular movies ever made, I think we can safely say it is the most famous dress ever in a movie.

I see what you mean, but first of all, GONE WITH THE WIND has faded greatly in popularity over the decades (though I still love it). It is true that the green velvet dress is a plot point in the movie, which puts more focus on the dress itself. But I still would have to say the blue and white gingham in THE WIZARD OF OZ is by far the most famous dress in movie history, even though there is no scene that focuses on the dress itself, because it's a fact (I believe) that the movie itself has been seen by more people (and loved by most of them) than any other movie in history.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2015 3:11 PM

I went to Google Images and put in "The Marilyn Dress", and in addition to pictures of Marily herself, I got a million pictures like this - modern-day women wearing copies or variations of the dress. The girl in the picture seems to be a wannabe model, but there are a billion others like her, and there are another billion fashion photos of modern dresses that were inspired by that one white dress. Sixty years after that stupid movie, women and designers are still copying Marilyn's white dress.

So who the fuck dresses up like Dorothy Gale today, huh? Just a few pre-school girls and eldergays at Halloween, I bet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2015 3:28 PM

Here's another modern-day version of Marilyn's white dress for sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2015 3:29 PM

Who designed that Marilyn dress?

Sorry I must have missed it.

Orry Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2015 3:33 PM

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2015 3:59 PM

People may be copying Marilyn's dress but nobody copied a dress better than Carol Burnett's take on Scarlett's green dress. That alone makes it the most memorable to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2015 4:03 PM

Another honorable mention: Elizabeth Taylor's white dress in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2015 4:21 PM

Judith Anderson's Mrs. Danvers dress in "Rebecca":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2015 4:23 PM

R46 So was Elizabeth Taylor's bridal gown from "Father of The Bride".

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2015 4:29 PM

The actual, most famous dress from a movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2015 4:31 PM

***I*** am right!!! My opinion matters the most!!! Why do you not bend to my will on this superimportant question???

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2015 4:34 PM

[quote]So who the fuck dresses up like Dorothy Gale today, huh? Just a few pre-school girls and eldergays at Halloween, I bet.

Fine, but that wasn't quite the original question. Nobody today dresses like Scarlett in GONE WITH THE WIND or Audrey in MY FAIR LADY, either, but we all agree those are famous, iconic dresses.

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2015 4:41 PM

I look at the dudes not the dresses. I would rarely even notice. ON the rare occasion i would it's not likely to be for a good reason. Oh honey go change that is not working for you

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2015 4:42 PM

What about me, bitches? Surely in the top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2015 6:38 PM

One of Michele Pfeiffer's dresses from "Scarface" should be on this list. Her red dress is a variation on Marilyn's white, and Rihanna even wore a version of her teal dress and spoke about its "ridiculous swagger." Then there's the royal blue dress in which she dances with Pacino. The Elizabeth Taylor dress isn't particularly recognizable as that movie is not one that many people under the age of 40 know. I, too, voted for the Marilyn dress as most famous of all.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2015 7:04 PM

Judy's dress is first. Second goes to Marilyn Third to Hepburn in BAT

I adore Piero Tosi's sumptuous gowns and hats worn by La Mangano in Death in Venice but alas none stands out alone. All are nearly equal in their magnificence, Nevertheless I would add the gowns from this film to the list. Tosi was nominated for an Oscar for this film - and many others but never won. Instead he was presently with an honorary Oscar later in his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2015 7:07 PM

R26, you are so correct. Audrey looks radiant in that dress. Between her and William Holden, there was so much beauty and elegance in that film.

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2015 7:17 PM

[quote]One of Michele Pfeiffer's dresses from "Scarface" should be on this list.

Amazing how many people don't understand what the phrase "most famous" means.

by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2015 9:24 PM

"Why have I not been mentioned ? ? I'm more fabulous that all of these cunts. Now, who wants to die for art ?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2015 9:28 PM

This thread is going to turn me straight.

by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2015 9:30 PM

William Travilla designed Monroe's white dress for Monroe as well as the pink Diamonds and many of her other iconic costumes circa 1952-1956. His resume for film and television is quite extensive. This doesn't include his design for theater nor his forty-year plus career in retail and couture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2015 10:11 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Jesus fuckin' Christ! "MOST FAMOUS DRESS" people, not the one you remember most, or the one you think is the best, or the one that's your favorite. Capish?

So Dorothy Gale from Kansas wins, and then comes Marilyn Monroe. It's a toss up whether the third place winner is either Vivien Leigh or Audrey Hepburn, but personally I'd give it to Grace Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2015 4:33 AM

Its FUN R89,lighten up Bitch !

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2015 4:49 AM

R45 I agree with you for Grace Kelly 's blue dress (to catch a thief): it looks like a gown by Mme GRES. Another dress worn by Mireille Darc in "The tall blond with one black shoe ": the halter black dress and a little less by Guy LAROCHE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2015 7:18 AM

Sue me, I liked Grace Kelly in the white Fireworks gown.

OK so would you say that Cleopatra's gold outfit was more costume than dress? Because IMO that's pretty iconic.

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2015 12:41 PM

I can't sleep, so I entered "the most famous dress in a movie" into Google images.

FYI the first image that came up was Audrey Hepburn's little black dress from BaT. The second was Kate Winslet's party dress from "Titannic", which must be considered iconic among women who were fangirl aged in 1998. The third was Kiera Knightley's greet gown from "Atonement".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 6, 2015 10:55 AM

And speaking of the green gown in "Atonement", it was designed to cover Kiera Knightley's unusual proportions. The straps are widely spaced to minimize her broad shoulders, there's detailing on her narrow hips to make them look wider, the belt cuts the length of her long waist, the bodice is loose enought to give the illusion of a bust...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 6, 2015 10:59 AM

Here's how the same dress looks on someone with more typical proportions. Interesting, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 6, 2015 11:00 AM

I remember Kate Winslet's dress but it's hardly iconic.If I saw it on a hanger, I would not immediately think of Titanic. IMO it could be some Wild West madam's gown in the brothel scene. It's a lovely creation, but it's not special. Same with the Atonement dress. I guess these choices are a reflection of age. Younger people have no historical memory.They probably have no idea who Bette Davis was, and I have to wonder how many people under 30 have even seen Judy Garland's Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 96August 6, 2015 12:11 PM

Not exactly a dress, but she certainly wore it like a dress, Elizabeth Taylor's slip in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. All great contributions in this thread with terrific debate and back stories. Fun thread.

by Anonymousreply 97August 6, 2015 1:03 PM

Hey, look what I found when looking around for something else! Is it the original scetch for "The Marylin dress"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 7, 2015 3:29 PM

At one time Debbie Reynolds owned the dress when she owned the hotel in Las Vegas and had a small Hollywood museum. I saw the dress on a table and the only remarkable thing about it was that it smelled so bad.

by Anonymousreply 99August 8, 2015 7:22 AM

What did it smell like, mothballs?

by Anonymousreply 100August 8, 2015 8:16 AM

Like it had never been cleaned since Marylin wore it. I believe it was worn in another movie. Smelled like gaggy stench.

by Anonymousreply 101August 8, 2015 8:25 AM

[quote]That said, I voted for Marilyn's white 7 year itch dress, though Audrey's little black dress from BaT comes close.

The little black dress from BaT is only recognizable with the accessories, i.e. black arm-gloves, opera-length cigarette holder, four-string pearl necklace, rhinestone tiara. Without it, it just looks ordinary. It only sold at auction for $807,000 in 2006.

On the other hand, Marilyn's pleated, white halter dress is immediately recognizable on its own. Thus, it's little wonder that it fetched $5.6 million at auction in 2011 -- the most paid for an article of clothing, shattering her previous record from 1999 when the skin-tight "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" dress was sold for $1.2 million, a record at the time.

For what it's worth, at an auction in 2012, Dorothy's white/blue gingham dress sold for $480,000.

by Anonymousreply 102August 8, 2015 4:01 PM

Nobody make a thread about the most iconic pair of shoes in film, because there's only one answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 8, 2015 4:08 PM

[quote]Thank Karl that Keira Knightley's green town in Atonement wasn't a contemporary option #overrated.

Back in 2008, the dress was voted as "the best film costume of all time." I found it laughable, because the film had just come out, so to call it "of all time" was amusing. Then again, it was a British poll, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. You know how biased those Brits are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 8, 2015 4:19 PM

I'm breaking the rules by not picking an individual dress. Theodora van Runkles costumes for Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde deserve a mention. That movie started a whole style trend in the late 60's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 8, 2015 4:51 PM

r103, I agree that those pumps coming down the stairs for the transformation scene in Now Voyager need no introduction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 8, 2015 4:59 PM

Ahem, r103 .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 8, 2015 5:00 PM

Hillary worry about a second tier Republican candidate? Bitch, please...

by Anonymousreply 108August 8, 2015 5:05 PM

Cross posting is getting a bit crazy on the new DL. Copy and repost...

by Anonymousreply 109August 8, 2015 5:06 PM

R105 that article makes it sound like Theodora Van Runkle invented the "Bonnie look," but in fact she had inspiration from Bonnie Parker herself. Bonnie had a penchant for berets/tams and men's suit jackets tied with a man's tie at the waist -- "masculine with a feminine twist," as its referred to in the article. The difference is that Bonnie wore her strawberry-blonde, marcelled hair tucked underneath her beret., whereas Faye was styled with an anachronistic, page-boy bob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 8, 2015 5:32 PM

Another Bonnie Parker iconic post, with beret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 8, 2015 5:34 PM

Were all those great clothes in MFL recycled for other movies including Audrey Hepburn's Ascot dress?

I've always wondered where the costumes end up. Like Sharaff's for Hello Dolly.

It seems that very few survive.

by Anonymousreply 112August 8, 2015 8:41 PM

The dress in R9 only survived because it was placed in a drawer and forgotten. I f it had been hung, gravity would have caused the bugle beads to tear the dress to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 113August 8, 2015 8:53 PM

Speaking of headwear, after "Love Story" was released, girls everywhere were wearing knitted caps pulled down to their eyebrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 8, 2015 10:26 PM

Boys too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 8, 2015 11:13 PM

I also vote for Marilyn's but also Hepburn's Ascot and ball gown. Beautiful. Scarlett's curtain and red dress come close though.

by Anonymousreply 116August 9, 2015 2:26 AM

It's Versace!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 9, 2015 2:46 AM

I thought of the dress in which Titanic's Rose was "flying."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 3, 2020 12:42 AM

This dress is more infamous than famous, but that atrocity Molly Ringwald wore at the end of Pretty in Pink.

by Anonymousreply 119May 3, 2020 12:51 AM

ITS A FUCKING TROLL FARM DOING THIS. ALL DIFFERENT IPS. FUCK THIS SHIT

by Anonymousreply 120May 3, 2020 12:51 AM

Is there some reason Paul Lynde's lovely aqua frock was omitted from the poll?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 3, 2020 1:14 AM

A twofer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 3, 2020 1:16 AM

Every gay man knows the true answer to this question, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 3, 2020 2:16 AM

"The wedding dress Sadie Frost wore in Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Although elaborate and eye catching, that costume was one of the ugliest things on a movie screen. That huge ruff! That THING on her head. Not to mention the fact that there was never any Victorian wedding gown that ever looked like THAT. It was a grotesque creation.

by Anonymousreply 124May 3, 2020 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!