Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Special Olympics 2015

Do you know anyone participating, organizing or attending?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2021 3:29 AM

Yes I do. And please remember that these are real people with real feelings and emotions that struggle every hour of every day to get through life.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2015 10:21 PM

R1, why did you find it necessary to post that? No one here has suggested otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2015 10:23 PM

My little champ will make it there when he's older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2015 10:33 PM

They are very dear souls. They should be praised. I was a 'hugger' and supporter years ago. I had a cousin with Downs. He wasn't suppose to make it to his teens; would never see 20; no possible way to live until middle age. He lived until age 69.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2015 10:36 PM

R3, do you actually know that child?

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2015 10:38 PM

I admire the parents and various other caretakers because I know how tough it is to raise those with special needs and to have them achieve this is just wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2015 10:40 PM

This is very wonderful, all those athletes get to travel to LA and see Hollywood and compete. Bless their hearts. We should all support them, they're minority like we are.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2015 10:42 PM

R4, what are "huggers"?

R7, are they held in Los Angeles all the time, or do they go to different cities?

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2015 10:49 PM

Huggers were (are ?) young people who volunteer to help keep things organized and assist the Olympians throughout the day. We'd hug them and basically act like very supportive siblings. Was a good time. Eunice Shriver would be there. She had started so much to help those who had retardation. A cousin of mine had been one of the founders of a Baltimore organization for retarded people so it's something that's always been near & dear to me.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2015 11:08 PM

Thanks, R9.

[quote] Eunice Shriver would be there.

That's DL icon Eunice Shriver.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2015 11:10 PM

If a child has a gluten allergy, can they partake?

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2015 11:58 PM

[quote] If a child has a gluten allergy, can they partake?

Ainsley, this is Special Olympics not special snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2015 12:03 AM

R3 REALLY needs to explain his relationship to the kid! Otherwise ... it sounds like perviness unlimited.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2015 12:21 AM

R13 I'm sure he thought he was being funny, but it's clear he doesn't yet get DL humour and though that type of shit may fly on Reddit it gets a bitch FF'd around here.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2015 12:28 AM

Is R3 just making fun of that kid? Loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2015 12:29 AM

Google image search indicates it's the son of New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2015 12:34 AM

My brother has Down Syndrome and competed in 1991 and again in 1995 when they were still national games and not international ones. He still talks about competing at those games.

And, I know this is an unpopular opinion within the Special Olympics higher-ups, but I hate that they've broadened the group of athletes to include "regular" people who compete together with the special athletes as a "unified" team. Every slot filled with a regular person takes the place of a special athlete who would love to go to these games.

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2015 12:37 AM

[quote] And, I know this is an unpopular opinion within the Special Olympics higher-ups, but I hate that they've broadened the group of athletes to include "regular" people who compete together with the special athletes as a "unified" team. Every slot filled with a regular person takes the place of a special athlete who would love to go to these games.

That seems like a very bad idea. The event is supposed to be for them.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2015 12:39 AM

What do you mean by regular people? You mean people with no actual disability? Then WTF is the point of the Special Olympics?

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2015 12:41 AM

The one on the left looks like a "regular" person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2015 12:45 AM

I knew a blind young man years ago to whom Special Olympics meant a lot. I hope your brother got to make lots of friends at the Olympics, R17.

The unified team idea sounds really bad.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2015 12:46 AM

Sure. They're allowed to use the word Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2015 12:50 AM

r19 yes, they allow people without a mental disability to compete as a teammate of a special athlete. The idea, like mainstreaming in schools, is treating people with mental disabilities as though they aren't different. But they are. They are different. And competing with non-disabled people isn't going to change that.

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2015 1:03 AM

For volunteer cheerleaders at Special Olympics, their job is a serious labor of love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2015 1:13 AM

I met the VP of the Illinois chapter - fuckably sincere with nice arms. The baggy chinos did nothing for his ass.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2015 2:36 AM

These Special Olympians are amazing atheletes.

They would beat any one of us in their sports handily.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2015 2:54 AM

Thank you Kennedy family for creating and nurturing the Special Olympics. This is just another wonderful public service that incredible family performed for America.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2015 2:55 AM

[quote]Thank you Kennedy family for creating and nurturing the Special Olympics. This is just another wonderful public service that incredible family performed for America.

And to assuage the guilt they felt for destroying their sister with a lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2015 3:00 AM

[quote]And to assuage the guilt they felt for destroying their sister with a lobotomy.

"They" didn't lobotomize Rosemary. That was all on their father, Joe.

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2015 10:43 AM

Stop thinking we heartlessly lobotomized Ethel and start thinking about all the clever things we can get specials to do for a juice box and a hug.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2015 11:02 AM

Cousin Geri won for wiping her ass, on BLAIR'S CHANEL DRESS.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2015 3:26 PM

Remember how the Olympic Committee let the 'tards use the word Olympic but when the gays tried to have the Gay Olympics, they claimed, sued and won the right to keep the gays from using the word Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2015 3:27 PM

I hate it when I'm depressed and you bitches just happen to be compassionate and completely genuine. Off to the Real Housewives threads.

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2015 4:02 PM

Why R33? Aren't there enough examples of horrid humanity on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2015 4:05 PM

Well, relatively speaking R34....

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2015 4:07 PM

Please, that Kennedy sister deserved her lobotomy; she was a real pain in the ass

by Anonymousreply 36August 2, 2015 11:10 PM

I used to volunteer for SO and the idea of the "unified team" is that athletes develop friendships and work along side other athletes (who are not developmentally challenged), sort of like mainstreaming as another poster indicated.

Sometimes a SO athlete is paired with another person because their disability is such that they couldn't do it on their own (even something like rowing a kayak) or because a game requires a greater skill level like volleyball or soccer. I see the other poster's point about a non-challenged athlete taking the place of a SO on events like the World Games, but at the local level, it promotes camaraderie and often times gives the SO a friend they might not have otherwise had. Whatever the case, the whole "unified" concept is spreading.

I admire the mission of SO but like many large organizations, it's very political, they don't spend their money wisely and many of their more senior volunteers are petty tyrants. That said, the dedication of the parents and family members who drive their athletes all over to participate in these events is truly inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 37August 2, 2015 11:59 PM

Is there lots of sex during the special Olympics like there is during the Olympics?

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2015 1:03 AM

You're disgusting, R38.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2015 4:20 AM

Dat's da suck job!

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2015 7:47 AM

I’m looking for organizers too.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2021 9:03 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2021 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!