Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What concepts, events and behaviors are now outdated for gays?

Cruising

Tearooms/Cottaging

"Bears"

Bathhouses

Dore Alley, Folsom Street Fair, Southern Decadence and similar events

Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

by Anonymousreply 156June 3, 2020 3:05 AM

I beg your pardon. Cruising will never go out of style.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2015 5:02 PM

Why not, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2015 5:03 PM

[quote]Cruising will never go out of style.

It was never in style to begin with because it was such a lousy movie!

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2015 5:04 PM

R3, will you be here all week?

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2015 5:06 PM

Being gay is over. Gay kids are all turning into tranny women now.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2015 5:08 PM

Opera and movie musicals.

Though still enjoyed by some gays the widespread intensity of affection no longer exists for the majority of the young.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2015 5:09 PM

Cruising will always be around..it's a guy thing more than a gay thing. Just how you do it has changed with the times. Now just pull out your smart phone and find someone close. Bathhouses are most still definitely around. They have actually made a come back in the last 10 years as a lot of goes started to thow safter sex out the window again ( with the corresponding spike in STDs again).

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2015 5:11 PM

[quote] Cruising will never go out of style.

Excuse me, but Grindr, A4A, Craigslist, etc., are all forms of cruising.

Yes, they utilize modern technology, but make no mistake about it - it's still cruising.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2015 5:15 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2015 5:17 PM

R9, why did you bump this thread two minutes after the prior post? Was that necessary?

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2015 5:18 PM

Gay bars, duh.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2015 5:19 PM

Gay bars have indeed become a bit passe in some places. IN the big cities things are a lot more mixed than they use to be there is less and less need to segregate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2015 5:23 PM

[quote] there is less and less need to segregate yourself

There are times when I actually prefer to segregate myself.

I'm around straight people all day long, and sometimes, I just want to be in a non-hetero environment, relaxing with other gay people.

There are just times when you just need to get away from straight people. So yes, gay bars still do serve a good purpose.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2015 5:29 PM

electrostim

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2015 5:32 PM

I haven't viewed my world in the context of hetro/vs. homo in some time now.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2015 5:34 PM

[quote]Opera and movie musicals. Though still enjoyed by some gays the widespread intensity of affection no longer exists for the majority of the young.

R6: What do you expect when you look at the caliber of non-animated, non-Muppet movie musicals over the last 25 years? Madonna was barely passable as [italic]Evita[/italic], all the numbers in [italic]Chicago[/italic] and [italic]Dreamgirls[/italic]were essentially created in post-production, most of Zadan/Meron's TV musicals took great shows and turned them into total cheese, [italic]Hairspray[/italic] was marred—but not totally ruined—by the miscasting of John Travolta and Amanda Bynes, Tom Hooper made [italic]Les Mis[/italic] look like that CNBC show where the camera is constantly zooming in and out, and the last two [italic]Annie[/italic] remakes were so bad, they make the first movie look like a masterpiece by comparison. Furthermore, there's no guarantee that what you're hearing now is free from auto-tune; in the old days, when an actor or actress was dubbed, at least you could still be sure of hearing a human voice that could sing on pitch.

Frankly, a lot of the things that we look at as being integral parts of gay culture only existed out of necessity, and that necessity came about because of the widespread legalized discrimination of the 20th century. Segregation is what bigots want, and we should not give them that satisfaction because Goddess knows they don't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2015 5:37 PM

I want segregation, R16. We deserve our own country.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2015 5:42 PM

Cottaging? Are you from the UK?

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2015 5:46 PM

R17= George Wallace.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2015 5:51 PM

[quote]We deserve our own country.

This is our country. We deserve it more than they do because we have done more to fight for the rights of liberty and justice for ALL than any other civil rights movement in history. But we didn't get it with drum circles, off-key choruses of "Kumbaya," and tiresome, fatuous scolding about how "violence never solved anything"? Are you kidding me? Stonewall was a riot, and it solved plenty. It solved the problem of what to do about anti-gay police harassment. The time for another violent queer uprising is nigh, but this one will make Stonewall and the White Night Riots look like a hissy fit in comparison. I'm talking about a worldwide Gay Spring.

If it were up to me, I'd gladly do unto the homophobes a hell of a lot worse than what they've been doing unto us for millennia. They deserve everything bad that happens to them and a whole lot more. If you dirty fucking breeders keep attacking us, harassing us, discriminating against us, and trying to kill us, we will give you goddamn good reason to fear us. We will bury you. We will bury all of you in the same mass grave. We will treat you exactly as you have treated us. You will be shown no more and no less mercy than you showed the victims of your hate crimes. You're not humans, you're animals, and since we're humans but you're animals, it should be legal for us to hunt you, kill you, eat you and sell you for profit. The human race is way past the point of sustainability anyway, so I think it's time to take out the trash.

The NYPD just declared war on the gay community. If they want a war, they'll get one. And they'll lose. Big time.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2015 6:01 PM

R19 - I preferred Marcus Garvey.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2015 6:02 PM

We have done more to fight for justice for all? Surely you are a bit delusional.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2015 6:05 PM

You're type R20 is no better than those you claim to oppose.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2015 6:05 PM

Manners, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2015 6:08 PM

I agree, cruising is guy thing and gays are guys, cruising is our thing.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2015 6:12 PM

[quote] You're type [R20] is no better than those you claim to oppose.

At least I know the difference between "your" and "you're." And at least I'm proposing doing something to stop it. I'm tired of hearing about gays still getting bashed and everyone thinking nonviolence is the answer. Why don't you try convincing THEM that violence never solved anything? Either way, IT IS NOT TRUE. Violence has solved plenty of things. It got the tyrant King George III out of the United States of America, it brought the racist slave-owning cracker class to its collective knees, and it got rid of Adolf Hitler.

Stonewall was a RIOT, people, not a peaceful protest! Our enemies cannot be swayed by facts, reason or logic. The only things they understand are hatred, oppression and violence: so let's hold them to the standards of the Bible, particularly: "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life."

And you've got some nerve trying to equivocate violence as means to an end, in this case the end being our rights being protected under the law, with violence as an end unto itself. While you keep pushing your duck-and-cover propaganda, gay people are still getting killed. Even in places where we have legal rights and protections. If we forcibly don't put a stop to it now, it will get a lot worse.

Gay Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2015 6:16 PM

Idiotic list. Someone above told the truth, men always cruise. It's easier for two guys to get off and guys are always looking for transient sexual encounters.

Baths are a matter of real estate costs soaring, not interest among gay men. They provide a safe, clean environment for transient, random sex -- both aspects of male sexual desire. They also tend not to discriminate on the basis of age, they are attractive to older gay men, or men who don't identify as gay but enjoy same sex on a temporary basis.

"Tearooms" are an aspect of cruising. There will always be places where the word goes out that sex can be had quickly and easily. The campuses of large colleges with a few men's rooms where it's easy to have sex, and situations where "back rooms" are feasible will always exist.

A "bear" is a physical type that will always be attractive to a percentage of gay men. Bars that cater to a hyper-masculine style of dress and attitude, a somewhat older crowd, and a suggestion of "role playing" sex are less prominent in big cities than they were, but that again is a real estate issue, as well as cruising migrating to internet outlets. But smaller cities and cities which are not so expensive still have those kinds of bars.

Camp is always ephemeral (Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence etc) but will always be around in some form. Though the spontaneous humor and sense of parody and contempt for the flaunting of oppressive hetero organizations is probably a victim of a society where people are dumber, less questioning of the mechanics of oppression.

Yes, the arts are dying in America. That is a financial, educational and cultural issue. It is one symptom of corporate fascism where the over promotion of idiocy to an undereducated population that gets too little access to anything but shit as "entertainment", and sports, both owned by mega corporations, has depleted the audience for "arts", which was never largely or exclusively "gay", as well as made large-scale arts endeavors increasingly too expensive to risk.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2015 6:21 PM

Wow R26 is off his rocker. Ignores all the progress that's been made post stonewall. And that progress has come primarily from folks coming out to their family and friends. That's been the ultimate weapon. It hasn't been violence. You just lose all crediblity with that

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2015 6:21 PM

1. Dialling phones with pencils

2. Performing twirling baton routine for parents to Dallas theme tune

3. Asking father's male guests to take your clip board poll: who is prettier, Lana Turner or Gene Tierney?

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2015 6:31 PM

R28 is oblivious to the fact that there are still countries where homosexuality is a capital crime, as well as missing my larger point: we are still being attacked despite having made progress over the years. Passing Civil Rights laws did not make racism go away, nor will marriage equality bring about an instant victory for the sane in religious fundamentalists' War on Sanity. We still have a long, long way to go.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2015 6:47 PM

[quote]Cottaging

What was "cottaging"?

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2015 7:09 PM

As always R31 Google knows..

Cottaging is a UK gay slang term referring to anonymous sex between men in a public lavatory (a "cottage", "tea-room" or "beat"), or cruising for sexual partners .

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Hey, Miss Keyboard Warrior, time to bone up on your M. Gandhi and MLK lessons on how to use non-violence as a tool.

It works.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2015 7:31 PM

[quote] Camp is always ephemeral (Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence etc) but will always be around in some form.

Those dreadful Sisters are not camp; they're scary.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2015 8:40 PM

I love all of the oldie gay things

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2015 9:00 PM

Those silly black leather motorcycle jackets we were all forced to wear in the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2015 9:07 PM

Gays are such sluts

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2015 9:08 PM

Hey! Amanda Bynes was excellent in the movie musical "Hairspray", and I thought Travolta was just fine.

I wish gay belly-aching over nothing would go out of style!

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2015 9:12 PM

But then there would be no datalounge and where would we go for our fix of pointless bitchery?

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2015 11:45 PM

We're like a bunch of gossipy old ladies in a Frank Capra film from the 30s pointing the finger at everyone and being scandalized by the slightest heaven knows what.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And underneath it all we're just a bunch of sentimental old biddies.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2015 11:52 PM

Much is disappearing. The unique connections created by a diverse community united by sexual desire and preference is being pushed to the sides by rich guys who want to emulate heterosexual norms and privilege and then trannies who really don't give a shit about their gay and lesbian neighbors except to stand on their shoulders to scream "look at me" and "now it's my turn!"

by Anonymousreply 41August 2, 2015 12:00 AM

[quote] except to stand on their shoulders to scream "look at me" and "now it's my turn!"

Are those lyrics from La Cage aux Folles?

by Anonymousreply 42August 2, 2015 12:07 AM

Yeah hooking up in bathrooms or street corners is such a "unique" connection. It's a normal evolution when you're no longer considered a marginal group that can be criminally prosecuted. Things have moved on and some old gays still wish for the "good ole " scandalous days where folks cared who they had sex with. Gay ghettos are largely a fading thing too since gays can live anywhere now in any major city.

by Anonymousreply 43August 2, 2015 12:13 AM

I'm not an old gay but I don't necessarily see the fading of gay ghettos as a good thing because it would mean that gay dollars aren't being recycled within the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 44August 2, 2015 12:45 AM

What are "gay dollars"? Can't say i've seen any of those. Is this a new currency for gayland?

by Anonymousreply 45August 2, 2015 12:51 AM

Good lord.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 2, 2015 1:03 AM

It doesn't bother me the gayborhoods are declining. It's a reflection that we feel comfortable across a much wider spectrum of areas. Lakeview other than a couple of blocks of halstead for the gay bars hasn't been really a gayborhood for some time now. We've migrated all over the city and into burbs the last 15 years or so. I'm still not ever going to do the burbs thing though. So boring out there.

by Anonymousreply 47August 2, 2015 1:23 AM

Colored hankies that signaled what you were into sexually.

Men approaching you on the street and saying "I'm gay, wanna swing my way?"

The Gay Bob doll.

by Anonymousreply 48August 2, 2015 1:27 AM

"Men approaching you on the street and saying "I'm gay, wanna swing my way?"

I'm 60 and lived in cities since I was 18. The HELL are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 49August 2, 2015 1:31 AM

LOL..i'd never heard of the "gay bob doll". Looking at Wikipedia oh my

by Anonymousreply 50August 2, 2015 1:33 AM

Well it bothers me because economic clout is only meaningful if you actually control it. The fact is that we are minorities and will not become fully assimilated members of the straight majority because we aren't straight. Using your economic clout to make straight people richer and create more jobs for straight people isn't wise. Every minority group should have business/financial districts that offer services that interests them and allows them to recycle their dollars within their communities. East Asian immigrants do this better than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 51August 2, 2015 1:40 AM

That should read "at your own expense" right before "isn't wise."

by Anonymousreply 52August 2, 2015 1:43 AM

That's actually not how it works R51. Just spending your money at gay establishments accomplishes little. As we have seen is when you make your financial clout known to the broader world is where you really have the impact with your spending. Just look at all the backlash in IN and other places when they came out with anti gay business intitatives. You have true clout when you can engage the larger community not when you restrict yourself to a few city blocks

by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2015 1:44 AM

Bears & bath houses haven't gone anywhere. This is a weird list. Someone else said the "hanky code" thing - yeah that's not around anymore.

The rise of apps and even AOL m4m changed things, but that's been going on for 15+ years already. I think it just made people more isolated...personally... but who knows. Some people claim to have met their best friends online.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2015 2:09 AM

I guess I'm missing a gay gene somewhere but the idea of sex in public with a total stranger has always seemed gross and desperate to me.

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2015 2:09 AM

Explain how to go about making your financial clout known to the broader society through assimilation since I don't know it works, r53. Then explain how making their financial clout known to broader society has helped black people and particularly black unemployment rates since again i don't know how it works.

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2015 2:11 AM

I agree R55. I checked out a bathhouse or two a couple of times quite a few years ago now. Just wasn't my thing at all ( and eh i don't judge it if someone is into it). Just totally turned me off. Some definitely love then though and have some great stories to tell.

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2015 2:17 AM

I've had both horrible and unbelievably hot experiences in bath houses. I didn't think it was my thing, either. I did nothing the first time I was there. Then, I went one (weekday) night after a horrible job interview in another country (that had a 1-2 month lead up) and I was just like, some fuck me till I pass out... and I met this super hot, hairy, sexy, manly, passionate guy... we ended up going back to my hotel for 3 hours too. Thank god...because I didn't obviously get the job - but I got laid.

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2015 2:21 AM

An interest in antiques seems to be on the wane. Guys of my generation are all about modern furnishings, we're not really into visiting antique shops and doing all the French Provincial stuff that so many older men love.

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2015 2:23 AM

So you had a bad day and your reaction was to go to a semi-public place and take on all comers...literally? Yeah that sounds healthy.

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2015 2:24 AM

[quote]So you had a bad day and your reaction was to go to a semi-public place and take on all comers...literally? Yeah that sounds healthy.

Can you read? I have a 2 month job interview process...not a DAY. And, I didn't "take on all comers" - I met someone who was totally my type and hot as hell... nobody else.

I've read DL long enough to know there are people who can't believe gay men have sex with strangers, or that sex can be a release, or that it can be fun...so you do you, boo.

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2015 2:28 AM

[quote]your reaction was to go to a semi-public place

Bathhouses aren't "semi-public" - nor are hotel rooms.

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2015 2:30 AM

A whores a whore dear...you do you too, just admit who "you" are.

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2015 2:32 AM

[quote]A whores a whore dear...you do you too, just admit who "you" are.

Are you a retard? A whore gets paid for sex. Just admit you're either an uptight sexually repressed priss or an old caftan queen who can't get laid to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2015 2:34 AM

LOL You're funny R64 you must be a real riot when you aren't on your back getting railed by your latest sad day diversion.

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2015 2:37 AM

Agreed R64. Bathhouses and public restrooms may not be my thing but of course i've had random hook ups. Just not in those locations. Did i always remember there name..of COURSE NOT..lol. Not in years but i've certainly had that phase and was at least smart enough to always be safe about it. You only live once but you have to be smart about it

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2015 2:38 AM

Gay men marrying women to prove their manhood and please their parents god...

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2015 2:41 AM

Sex with men.

They young gays all want to fuck girls now. Gay is on its way out.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2015 2:46 AM

Fisting and scat are likely over.

Generally the geriatric set do them now. The young ones are too desperate to find husbands to spend time exploring sexuality to that extreme

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2015 2:47 AM

I can't wait for the singularity when all traces of gender,sexuality and race are left in the wake of glorious technology.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2015 2:48 AM

Mainstream LA Times:

Are 'gayborhoods' a victim of the gay rights movement's success?

For decades, the blinds of this semisubterranean Laguna Beach bar were closed tight.

Back then, the dingy saloon was underground in more ways than one.

People whom employers might still refuse to hire because of their love interests flirted openly as they knocked back martinis. Couples whom hotels might turn away for wanting to share a room danced and kissed without anxiety.

To step down the stairwell into the bar, patrons of that era say, was to find sanctuary from streets where, even in the 1980s — even in this then-funky liberal enclave — gay bashing often took a literal turn. In one particularly ugly incident in Laguna, an Orange County resident lost six teeth and the sight in his left eye after young men attacked him with pipelike objects, yelling: "Faggots! I'm gonna kill you."

And, so, the shutters. "They were closed," the bar's current manager recalls. "Always closed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2015 2:49 AM

I just read that R71. It's not a new trend Going on since the 90s and frankly i don't miss those days where you had to be so secretive.

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2015 2:50 AM

As someone who frequently bathhouses a lot, yes, it's dying. Most bathhouse patrons are well past their 40's and 50's. Bathhouses are rather empty as compared to their heydays. There was a bump in patronage when the meth epidemic was raging in the 2000's. Meth has moved on generally (or at least is not welcomed as much in the gay world) so the baths are empty and old again.

by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2015 2:52 AM

With Prep, sex with condoms is sadly waning.

by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2015 2:52 AM

Don't sound like fun places if populated with meth addicts. Lot more updated info than i have. I think the last time i was in bathhouse was maybe 93. What i recall is the stench of poppers

by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2015 2:54 AM

The prep thing seems short sighted. Those drugs can have some major side effects. And if something comes along ( like HIV did) that just doesn't work on you have another disaster in the making. Condoms are such a minor thing it's just not something i'd chance if i were still out hooking up etc. Learned valuable lessons on how to protect yourself in the 80s and 90s that shouldn't be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2015 2:58 AM

There were never any bathhouses around where I grew up but there were parks where guys would cruise each other, apparently two guys got caught fucking on a picnic table by a woman and her kids(in broad daylight) and it became a fairly big scandal for such a small city. There were even local news reports complete with hidden camera surveillance footage.

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2015 2:58 AM

LOL@77. That's funny. I guess that lady was in for a shock.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2015 3:01 AM

It just goes to show that nothing makes a man dumber,faster than a hard cock, be it his own or someone else's.lol

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2015 3:10 AM

Guilty as charged on that one R79 at times in the past. But you learn usually

by Anonymousreply 80August 2, 2015 3:12 AM

I think lisping should become extinct. It's so fucking cliche, pathetic and embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 81August 2, 2015 3:14 AM

From the time I was 12 and I realized I was gay I knew I didn't want to be one of "those" gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2015 3:15 AM

It's not just the bathhouses and the casual dumpster sex we're losing. No one under 50 has any understanding of the ecstasy that is available through the expert use of electrostim.

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2015 3:15 AM

yeah convince yourself of that R83 how special you are.

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2015 3:18 AM

Before, we had defensive gay spaces. It would be nice if we now could have respected gay spaces -- places where the screeching straight women and the real estate hungry foreigners would just leave alone.

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2015 3:19 AM

I'm sorry but the loss of gay businesses/business districts is going to come back to bite us in the ass when we become fully dependent on the majority for jobs, services.... Assimilate all you want but you shouldn't be OK with seeing gay business districts go under because the truth is that nobody gives a fuck about gay people more than other gay people. And you show your financial clout by recycling your dollar within your community and providing employment and needed services to that community ( and increasing that communities wealth) before the dollar leaves the community not by handing your dollars over to straight people who will always put their needs and desires before yours. Even groups like Jews and Italians who have been assimilated(for the most part) and accepted into the majority population still have separate business districts that they frequent.

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2015 3:46 AM

Nipple play.

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2015 4:11 AM

Porn shops

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2015 4:17 AM

R87, that will never go out of style.amongst gays or anyone else. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2015 4:35 AM

Nipple play has been part of Homo Sapiens's equipment for life, at least since the Pleistocene.

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2015 4:40 AM

From the OP's choice, it looks like San Francisco and New York are outdated for gays.

by Anonymousreply 91August 2, 2015 12:57 PM

Bringing a tambourine to the dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 92August 2, 2015 2:47 PM

Rollerblading

by Anonymousreply 93August 2, 2015 3:22 PM

Are bathhouses still popular in Europe?

by Anonymousreply 94August 2, 2015 3:37 PM

condoms it seems

by Anonymousreply 95August 2, 2015 3:42 PM

White parties/black parties. Do they still happen? Seems like it's mostly older guys and the PNP set.

by Anonymousreply 96August 2, 2015 3:44 PM

San Francisco needs to hurry up and fall in the ocean under the weight of it's own pretentiousness.

by Anonymousreply 97August 2, 2015 7:37 PM

Poppers. I was a baby gay and took a sip before my trick told me to sniff it.

by Anonymousreply 98August 2, 2015 8:25 PM

LMFAO R98..now that's a new one

by Anonymousreply 99August 2, 2015 8:27 PM

R98 R99 Someone broke one under my nose the first time I experienced poppers, and I threw up on him. I thought I was dying.

by Anonymousreply 100August 2, 2015 8:38 PM

Oh i've never liked the shit. Just gave me a massive headache. I haven't allowed it around me in years now. It's nasty. Hubby had to give up that habit when we started going out if he was ever going to get laid by me. Guess it was worth it to him...lol. Now the occasional joint is about all he does in terms of substances and that doesn't bother me a bit (even though i don't usually partake). Makes him a big ole crazy horny btm so i'm down. Just buts me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 101August 2, 2015 8:44 PM

Laguna Beach was like our own private gay riviera that most people didn't know about. but of course, gays didn't know about it either. Such is the way of the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 2, 2015 8:55 PM

[quote] bringing a tambourine to the dance floor

I should start carrying one of these with me when I go downtown.....

by Anonymousreply 103August 2, 2015 8:55 PM

People will think you're channeling Tracy Partridge

by Anonymousreply 104August 2, 2015 9:05 PM

I don't drool as much, R104

by Anonymousreply 105August 2, 2015 9:32 PM

Do gays still do X?

by Anonymousreply 106August 2, 2015 10:11 PM

X (Ecstasy) is now know as Molly (MDMA). And, yes, the gays still do it. It's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 107August 3, 2015 3:07 PM

Laguna Beach. So beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 108August 3, 2015 3:26 PM

Thongs on men. They got replaced by jockstraps in porn.

by Anonymousreply 109August 3, 2015 4:07 PM

Thinking that to be a real gay, you have to us, abuse and defend unregulated street drugs. Yuck. See you at GMHC, Dear!

Does anybody tell the 18 year old gaylings that meth use is the fastest, easiest way to seroconvert, or are we all too busy shrieking about the trannies still?

by Anonymousreply 110August 3, 2015 4:13 PM

We're inclusive, Shitmuffin at R110; we'll shriek about both.

by Anonymousreply 111August 3, 2015 4:25 PM

R110, I'm beginning to understand the allure of trolling. Such an incoherent response! Did it make you upset? Did you blood boil?

by Anonymousreply 112August 3, 2015 5:18 PM

Dance clubs

by Anonymousreply 113August 3, 2015 5:30 PM

Gays in general

by Anonymousreply 114August 3, 2015 7:29 PM

Water based lube

by Anonymousreply 115August 3, 2015 7:34 PM

[quote]Hey, Miss Keyboard Warrior, time to bone up on your M. Gandhi and MLK lessons on how to use non-violence as a tool. It works.

It worked so well they got shot.

by Anonymousreply 116August 3, 2015 7:41 PM

R33, you need to go read up on Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, Nat Turner, John Brown and Queer Nation. Then read about the violence against gays that is being perpetrated as state policy. Then tell me violence never solved anything. Violence in the face of systemic oppression is always justified and always will be, because in that case it's self-defense.

"Concerning nonviolence: It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law."

"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 3, 2015 7:45 PM

Self control but then that has never been big among gay men.

by Anonymousreply 118August 4, 2015 9:24 AM

Going out on Thursdays and Sundays. Starting the evening much later than straights.

After hours clubs.

Fan dancers - and young sex ones at that. Exceedingly rare when I started going out, and now long gone the way of the dodo bird.

Cultivated, erudite, articulate young gay people. This goes for lesbians and gays.

Easy going friendships and cooperation between the gays and the lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 119August 4, 2015 11:24 AM

Leather seems to be dying too.

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2015 3:30 PM

[quote] Leather seems to be dying too.

Thank goodness for that. I hope bears go the same way.

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2015 5:45 PM

Well i suppose on what the leather is on. I still love my Prada loafers.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2015 5:54 PM

[quote] I still love my Prada loafers.

Are you single and beautiful? If so, I'd be happy to buy you many more Prada loafers.

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2015 5:56 PM

I agree this is a stupid list. Bears are if anything bigger than ever, and cruising has not and will not go away.

by Anonymousreply 124August 15, 2015 5:59 PM

[quote] Well i suppose on what the leather is on. I still love my Prada loafers.

We know, Former Pope Benedict XVI. No one will take them away from you, either.

by Anonymousreply 125August 15, 2015 6:00 PM

[quote] We know, Former Pope Benedict XVI.

His were velvet.

by Anonymousreply 126August 15, 2015 6:12 PM

The Leather Scene has quietly died.

by Anonymousreply 127August 15, 2015 6:17 PM

IML is still pretty fun for a couple of hours

by Anonymousreply 128August 15, 2015 6:33 PM

Leather was always so hilarious to look at, yet so serious about itself. I almost got kicked out of the Mine Shaft one night for laughing at someone.

by Anonymousreply 129August 15, 2015 6:38 PM

When I was a young gay, leather guys and bears were what I used to find repulsive about the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 130August 15, 2015 6:40 PM

I would never go west of Seventh Avenue when I lived in the Village.

by Anonymousreply 131August 15, 2015 6:41 PM

[quote] His were velvet.

Nope, they were red leather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 15, 2015 6:45 PM

But he wanted them to be made of rubies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 15, 2015 6:49 PM

R130 [When I was a young gay, leather guys and bears were what I used to find repulsive about the gay community]

A well built man in leather can be very hot. A leather outfit will never make a troll sexy to most of us. To each is own. There are enough good choices in the candy box for everyone. I find drag tedious. If someone else is into it, I'm glad it works for them.

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2015 6:53 PM

The leather scene has always a niche sub group. It was never my thing but it was all pretty harmless. Funny these comments about "repulsive" etc. I often thought myself it looked kinda ridiculous but it wasn't something to worry about either. Gays are so judgy of each other.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2015 6:59 PM

Yes, R134. Because the only choices we have are drag and leather.

by Anonymousreply 136August 15, 2015 6:59 PM

I definitely wish the hankie code would come back.

by Anonymousreply 137August 15, 2015 8:10 PM

[quote] I definitely wish the hankie code would come back.

I wish Polari would return.

by Anonymousreply 138August 15, 2015 8:20 PM

I wish I still had my virginity

by Anonymousreply 139August 15, 2015 8:31 PM

[quote] I wish I still had my virginity

So do I.

by Anonymousreply 140August 15, 2015 8:32 PM

Oh HELL NO on still having my virginity or anyone i'm with. Don't miss those awkward nervous moments a bit just starting out at the whole thing. Now could i have skipped a few of the people i've had sex with in my life, yeah that I'd agree.

by Anonymousreply 141August 15, 2015 8:45 PM

R136 Nobody said that those were the sole choices. Those were two examples of choices that polarize the community.

by Anonymousreply 142August 15, 2015 9:02 PM

R134, I totally agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 17, 2015 8:08 PM

[quote]A well built man in leather can be very hot.

Then he'll be hot without the leather. Same goes for a good-looking man.

by Anonymousreply 144August 17, 2015 8:55 PM

Print gay porn magazines that tried to not only feature stunning men, but have an editorial voice with columns, feature articles, short story fiction , personal ads, etc.

Are there any still in existence?

by Anonymousreply 145August 17, 2015 9:24 PM

Are there still white parties and black parties? Video peep shows are a dying thing except for retired married men. Street-walking hustlers are a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 146August 20, 2015 2:18 AM

I'm with r124, wtf is with some of you? "Bears" are outdated now? How? Why? Are we going back to pretending that all gay men are hairless, anorexic twinks? Because I see plenty of bears all over. Bears are the new black, and have been for over a decade.

And I've been hearing the death knell tolling for the Gayborhood since forever. Yet they still exist in every major city. They are just evolving with the times, like every other neighborhood and suburb. Unless you live in a ghost town I'd bet you've seen how areas regularly change and adapt with newcomers gentrifying amidst old standbys. Just because it happens in the Gayborhood doesn't mean the concept is going extinct.

Cruising is over? Really? Do you even know what cruising is? Because I'm a bear who gets regularly cruised in the Gayborhood. Do I exist? Am I living in a parallel universe? Are you posting from some dystopian future? What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 147August 20, 2015 2:46 AM

R147 is right. OP, you have a lot to answer for.

by Anonymousreply 148August 24, 2015 8:47 AM

Are you a friend of Dorothy?

Are you a friend of Mrs. King?

by Anonymousreply 149August 24, 2015 9:10 AM

[quote] Are we going back to pretending that all gay men are hairless, anorexic twinks?

Let us hope. I hope I never see another "bear" again.

by Anonymousreply 150November 13, 2015 2:48 AM

[quote]Bringing a tambourine to the dance floor.

I'm almost 50, but when I was a youngling there were men who would bring FANS to the dance floor.

Not smal hand fans, either -- footlong fans they would open with a S-N-A-P and begin semaphoring around the room in time to the music.

They were dead serious, too.

by Anonymousreply 151November 13, 2015 5:05 AM

Monogamy

by Anonymousreply 152November 13, 2015 5:14 AM

[quote] Are you a friend of Dorothy?

Gale, Zbornak, Parker or Loudon?

by Anonymousreply 153November 13, 2015 6:48 AM

[quote] I wish Polari would return.

Oh yeah, he was so good on [italic]Newhart[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 154November 13, 2015 6:49 AM

[quote]I wish Polari would return

He can't, because of that underage sex case in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2015 8:02 AM

R5 is correct. "Gay" itself is on the way out. The youngest gay men are in their 20s now. Teens who would have been gay in prior generations are now trans or queer.

by Anonymousreply 156June 3, 2020 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!