Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Surprisingly edible store cupboard meals

I'm not feeling very well and couldn't be bothered to shop so I made dinner tonight just with stuff I already had. No fresh ingredients at all. It was actually surprisingly OK. I made up a box of Kraft mac'n'cheese and added some frozen broccoli, peas and mushrooms to it, smoked paprika, some Panko and frozen grated Parmesan on top, stuck it in the oven and it turned out quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2020 4:07 PM

Pasta (even Kraft) is sickness comfort food. I don't often eat it otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2015 2:13 AM

Idiotic poll, none of the above.

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2015 2:21 AM

I agree it's a bad poll.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2015 2:22 AM

Polls on DL are a waste of time if you're trying to be cutesy-clever.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2015 2:28 AM

Pasta and jarred sauce.

Frozen veggies mixed into canned soup.

indian entres in the foil envelopes and basmati rice.

vacuum packed fondue with frozen vegetables for dipping.

noodles and peanut sauce from a jar.

frozen chinese dumplings.

toast with jarred tapenade

Toast with fish roe and butter

Tuna salad.

I have a shelf of jarred antipasti, tapenades, sauces, tinned fish

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2015 2:37 AM

Lemon rice soup: White rice, water, chicken stock, garlic, butter and lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2015 3:31 PM

Blue box Kraft Mac and cheese is my dinner

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2015 3:41 PM

[quote] I made dinner tonight just with stuff I already had.

Shouldn't this be filed under Get a Fucking Blog?

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2015 3:48 PM

My mother used to make this chicken a la king thing with canned campbell's cream of mushroom. The other day i was feeling blue and i made a giant batch, throw some fresh mushrooms, peas and carrots in it, and now i have a ton of it in the freezer for days that i cant be bothered to cook.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2015 3:50 PM

Last night I had pasta but no sauce in the house, so I used olive oil and some crumbled goat cheese and it was good.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2015 3:51 PM

Yes R8, but that won't stop the fatties from flocking here. This thread will fill up by noon Pacific Time

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2015 3:52 PM

[quote]I get the houseboy to whip something up

The only thing I get the houseboy to whip is my ass!

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2015 4:05 PM

Gin and regret

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2015 4:11 PM

i eat things like that on a regulary basis.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2015 4:12 PM

*regulat

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2015 4:13 PM

r14/r15 Quit while you're behind, doll. We get it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2015 5:24 PM

What the fuck is an "store cupboard meal?" Do you mean processed food or anything with out produce?

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2015 6:13 PM

"store cupboard" must be the cupboard that is filled with "stores" - goods that you store

right?

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2015 9:13 PM

regulatory? regulation? regularity?

regularitily

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2015 9:14 PM

It's funny that all the "bespoke" non-dairy, organic, non-gluten, fresh-from-my-own-chicken's-ass eaters here are probably the same loons who start all those "Fussy Eaters", and "Baby Tastes" threads!

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2015 9:17 PM

I can go home and make a dozen 'comfort' foods without even opening my refrigerator. Knorr chicken and noodles with a can of white meat chicken, Knorr teriyaki rice with a can of tuna, tuna noodle casserole, chili and rice, etc. I'm always prepared. My refrigerator is stocked with organic spinach and cheese ravioli, frozen hamburgers and rolls, frozen hotdogs and rolls, eggs, bacon, bread, frozen veggies, various Stouffers entrees, and pot pies among other things. I pass about a dozen restaurants on my way from the subway in the evening and I need to know that I can make something or I'll indulge.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2015 10:43 PM

Moo much?

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2015 10:49 PM

So, basically, this is asking what white trash food habits you have? Comfort food doesn't equal this crap.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2015 10:59 PM

BTW, those are foods that I can make quickly and cheaply and that I always have on hand for when I'm too arsed to walk the four long blocks and fight the lines in the grocery store. It doesn't mean that those are the only things I eat. Last night, I had salmon and the night before, loin lamb chops, but those are things I buy at the shop on my way home from work. Tonight, I will probably use one of my 'comfort' foods because it is after 7:00 and I'm still at my desk. Or, I might actually stop and get some wings or something else equally evil.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2015 11:08 PM

I doctor up the knorr soups (that come in the carton) in the winter in a pinch. Its not crap in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2015 11:09 PM

It's easy to be a good cook when you have a fridge full of fresh ingredients, it takes imagination to put together something reasonably healthy / acceptable salt and sugar levels when you're putting together the contents of packages and tins. You can't do it without some frozen stuff, either veggies or protein, to even out the huge sodium content of store cupboard standbys.

You really have never heard of a store cupboard r17? It's the kitchen cupboard where the tins and long shelf life goods are kept.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2015 11:53 PM

[quote]I doctor up the knorr soups (that come in the carton) in the winter in a pinch. Its not crap in my opinion.

I agree. Knorr dry soups also provide a good starting point for whatever doctoring you want to do. One of my favorites starts with Knorr Minestrone. I reduce the liquid from 4 to 3 cups, then add 3 cups of vegetables (frozen ones are fine), a 14-ounce can of baked beans and 1/4 teaspoon or so of pepper. The result is thick and filling, more like stew than soup, and really tasty.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2015 2:59 AM

R18 So does that mean things that come in boxes and cans?

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2015 4:13 AM

Tinned chickpeas heated with olive oil, garlic and sliced cacciatore. Dress with leaves of choice. Cheap, warming, delicious.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2015 1:19 PM

R27 - I refer to the liquid Knorr soups in the tetrapack cartons. Not the dried powder ones. They are too salty and fake for me. But whatever.

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2015 1:22 PM

I boil ramen noodles in chicken stock with a squeeze of lemon juice and some steamed broccoli. sometimes add a few chill flakes when I have a cold.

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2015 1:26 PM

[quote]Tinned chickpeas heated with olive oil, garlic and sliced cacciatore

WTF is "sliced cacciatore?"

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2015 1:52 AM

I always have small containers of sauce and meatballs in my freezer for a quick pasta dinner. Usually containers of frozen chili, too.

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2015 2:00 AM

Rice and pasta are my "go to" staples.

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2015 2:03 AM

Hershey Bars and York Peppermint Patties.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2015 2:06 AM

r10, that's a popular Italian dish, pasta aglio et olio (oil & garlic) -- they usually put Parmesan cheese on top rather than goat cheese, but your version sounds good too.

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2015 2:26 AM

r23 thinks only his own bespoke organic meal-ettes can be considered anything above "white trash" eating. Of course, people raised in double-wides or in poverty often have this chip on their shoulder, and must overcompensate like this.

I think that all sounds great r21. I actually admit to enjoying a hot dog every once in awhile, and I'm not fat or dead!

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2015 3:22 AM

Ramen

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 3:45 PM

I always keep the ingredients on hand for Linguine with White Clam sauce. I usually throw in a can of baby clams and use dried herbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2020 4:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!