Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I love "Cultural Appropriation"!

This is the new DL arts and culture, online exhibit. We must, together, curate a collection of all the photographic images, art pieces, stories, food mash-ups, music and otherwise enriching and exhilarating stuff that will be banned under the "Cultural Appropriation" Fascists, if we don't defend them. What would you display?

Fight for your right to culturally appropriate.

I love Native American inspired prints:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 9:20 PM

I love Tex-Mex:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2015 5:21 PM

I want a Samurai Kimono:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2015 5:22 PM

I love "Mitsouko"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2015 5:24 PM

Culture is intended to be appropriated.

If is not, it dies.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2015 5:26 PM

Ravi Shankar's soundtrack to Jonathan Miller's "Alice in Wonderland" (1966) was perfect:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2015 5:27 PM

R4 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2015 5:27 PM

R5 Continued:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2015 5:28 PM

Greek Revival:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2015 5:31 PM

Vegetarian California Rolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2015 5:32 PM

Bread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2015 5:35 PM

What the fuck are you talking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2015 5:37 PM

R11 Of course I didn't mean you, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2015 5:38 PM

If you're not Scottish, you muststop wearingtartans. And no more celebrating St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2015 5:40 PM

Does this mean we have to stop wearing clothes and go back to this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2015 5:42 PM

Barbara Stanwyck in costume for "The Bitter Tea of General Yen":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2015 5:45 PM

R14 They probably borrowed that look from another tribe.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2015 5:45 PM

I do understand why badly done cultural appropriation annoys some people from the culture being appropriated, but most of the objecting isn't from people on the receiving end, it's from idiots who are looking for something mainstream to complain about.

They should be complaining about something else (economic injustice for starters), because in general cultural appropriation is a good thing. The more we understand about each other, the better off the world is.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2015 5:45 PM

(Stupidly overpriced) Italian Denims. That's a ping-pong cultural appropriation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2015 5:49 PM

R17 I really believe there is a difference between showing admiration for something, loving the beauty of art pieces and style and using certain cultural objects as symbols in propaganda against a people. I also understand and agree with the argument, that you show your humanity by not knowingly desecrating a very, sacred object or burial place.

But degrading someone because they think turquoise beads or a kimono shirt is beautiful and want to wear them? It's absurd.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2015 5:50 PM

African prints in home decor:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2015 5:52 PM

I hope Leftie SJW activists know that most of the people in Western countries who hang prayer flags in their yards, wear kimonos around their homes and buy African carvings and Indian singing bowls are not Republican voters.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2015 5:55 PM

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2015 5:58 PM

R22 "Yawn"? Do you have any idea the well-meaning but disastrous road these New Totalitarians are bringing us down?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2015 6:04 PM

Oh sell it to yourself R23. They are infinitessimal compared the more serious right wing threats which are all around.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2015 6:05 PM

Why yes, R19, I own turquoise jewelry made by NA artists, and wouldn't desecrate a sacred site or symbol. And buying turquoise jewelry from NA artists supports NA arts and artists, funnels money into the tribe, encourages a new generation to take up traditional arts, and shows the fabulousness of NA workmanship to the wider world.

Like I said, most cultural appropriation is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2015 6:05 PM

I understand Native Americans being bothered by non-Natives wearing an actual Native headdress. I roll my eyes at non-Natives getting their panties in a twist over someone wearing a plastic version from the costume shop, or wearing any kind of feathered headpiece that was not created by Natives (there were a few of these in someone's fashion show recently, and the SJWs were in a tizzy). Likewise with bindis - you seriously think those stick-on jewels from Ricky's mean something? Nobody is allowed to stick anything on their head? I wouldn't wear these things because I think they're tacky and I'm too damn old, but they aren't harmful to anyone.

When I was in HS, goth & metal kids wore ankhs and crosses all the time although they weren't religious. Is that taboo now too? I assume SJWs couldn't give a fuck about anyone "appropriating" Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2015 6:07 PM

R24 At least they tell you what they're doing. It's not the admitted extremists I'm worried about. Those are easy to resist because the absurdity of, for instance, Fred Phelps' crew is obvious and overwhelmingly not legitimized by many people.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2015 6:08 PM

[quote]The more we understand about each other, the better off the world is.

The SJW's problem with "cultural appropriation" is they see it as [italic]not[/italic] increasing understanding of each other. To them it mostly seems to be superficial, surface-level "borrowing" because something looks cool or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2015 6:18 PM

R28 SJWs want to seal off human cultures in little, glass boxes protected by high voltage. They want to line people up, walk down the line and pick and choose who passes and who doesn't and banish or brutally condition those who don't conform.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2015 6:23 PM

R28 Theirs is a static, museum exhibit view on living culture. ,

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2015 6:23 PM

I don't understand why white people love to appropriate black culture -- it is so disgustingly ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2015 6:24 PM

Right, but without that appreciation on a shallow level, how will a deeper appreciation develop?

I had that problem with my own family not wanting artworks by relatives to get out their hands. How will anyone know what we had here if we hoard everything?

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2015 6:26 PM

As a kid, my Grandmother had a veritable treasure trove of fantastic finds from all over the globe. Those fascinating items sparked an interest and appreciation for other cultures in me. To think that anyone would castigate people for appreciating and highlighting other cultures is pure madness. I get this creepy sense that SJWs want people to give a pound of flesh before being "allowed" to take part in any other culture than their own.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2015 6:48 PM

Shirley Maclaine in "My Geisha." So adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2015 6:56 PM

R34 Can we at least draw the line at Micky Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"?

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2015 7:02 PM

Do I have to give up my Versace penis-sheath?

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2015 7:23 PM

Tee hee hee, r34-san.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2015 8:47 PM

"The SJW's problem with "cultural appropriation" is they see it as not increasing understanding of each other. To them it mostly seems to be superficial, surface-level "borrowing" because something looks cool or whatever."

Borrowing stuff at a shallow level still teaches people more than not borrowing it. What, do these SJW types want people to never look at any culture but their own, do they want to see nothing around them but Kardashian imitations?

I know these types, their real motivation is to criticize anything middle class and especially anything their parents do - and betcha ten bucks that their parents are largely the kind of middle-class liberals who hang prayer flags in the yard. I don't hate them for it, their immature little hearts are in the right places even if they have no sense of perspective, but no immature person has any perspective. The only way to reach perspective is to learn about issues without any; so maybe someday some of them will be wise enough to get beyond calling other people "cultural appropriators", and calling their own use of prayer flags and Muslim scarves "a deeper understanding of world issues".

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2015 8:49 PM

Darn it those goddamn minorities always inconveniencing the lives of the majority with all of their silly little opinions.

This is really no different than those Americans who take issue with foreigners who appropriate American culture but talk shit about Americans. They filled demeaned and disrespected. How dare foreigners American ideas and at the same time look down on the people who created those ideas.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2015 11:04 PM

[quote]Does this mean we have to stop wearing clothes and go back to this?

[quote]The earliest surviving sub-Saharan African textiles were discovered at the archaeological site of Kissi in northern Burkina Faso and date to the first centuries CE. They are made of wool or fine animal hair in a weft-faced plain weave pattern. Further cloth fragments and parchment fragments date to the ninth century CE from sites at Igbo Ukwu of the Igbo people of Nigeria. A considerable amount of cotton and wool textiles (clothes, shrouds and accessoires) has been preserved in the Tellem caves in Mali, dating mainly to the eleventh to thirteenth centuries CE. Some fragments have also survived from thirteenth century Benin City in Nigeria.

[quote]African textiles are a part of African cultural heritage that came to America along with the slave trade. As many slaves were skilled in the weaving, this skill was used as another form of income for the slave owner.

[quote]In most of Africa the weavers were men while the women spun the thread. The weavers in many of the countries were part of a caste-like group and sometimes slaves to noble families. In Yoruba compounds were used where master weavers would teach all the boys weaving and all the girls would learn to spin and dye the yarn. And children did some jobs too, like providing fabric and also weaved at a very young age of 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2015 11:09 PM

Yes, yes, yes Mrs. O'Hara and her daughters and their friends were so fortunate that Mammy knew how to weave cloth.

Here they are dressed to go to the picnic at Twelve Oaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2015 1:03 AM

SJW's don't even realize that the entire American culture is appropriated from somewhere else.

Pizza. Chow mein. Plaid flannel sheets. Saltillo floors. Talavera tile. The White House is Greek Revival. The Capitol Building. The Luxor Hotel, Las Vegas. Taco Bell. Even the guns were first imported from Europe. It used to be all bows and arrows and tomahawks around here.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2015 1:26 AM

The ultimate cultural rip offs:

Our song, "My Country 'Tis of Thee" was originally "God Save the King." American soldiers used to sing it at British soldiers during the revolutionary war, just to piss them off.

The Star Spangled Banner is an English drinking song with American lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2015 1:30 AM

[quote]Yes, yes, yes Mrs. O'Hara and her daughters and their friends were so fortunate that Mammy knew how to weave cloth. Here they are dressed to go to the picnic at Twelve Oaks.

. . . . . . .And how fortunate for us. That you have studied vigorously researched historical documentaries, such as Gone With The Wind and they have given you such an impressively expansive African history and American history knowledge base.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2015 2:03 AM

R39 No. Those complaining about "cultural appropriation" are complaining about White people thinking art, music, fashion, literature, etc. from countries and produced by ethnic groups other than their own, thinking such things are beautiful and fascinating. What these activists are essentially saying is: "Go away! Please ignore minorities and do not like anything our ancestors created because you are not worthy of it."

Um, okay. You're on your own, idiots.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2015 1:03 PM

The Queen of Cultural Appropriation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2015 1:13 PM

R46 To be fair, she kind of created her own culture. And reality.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2015 1:14 PM

R47 A white woman creating and living a fantasy life that she's black. Classic cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2015 1:33 PM

R48 ...and now that the rare problem has been addressed, the activists can go home.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2015 1:41 PM

Chinoiserie!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2015 2:27 PM

Japonisme!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2015 2:30 PM

Get a load of Harvey passing for straight and Rosie passing for Jewish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2015 2:33 PM

"Social activists" (SJWs) are really talking about themselves when they lecture others about "cultural appropriation."

What they're saying is how they are GOOD white people who don't plunder other peoples' cultures, unlike all of you BAD RACIST white people.

It's really just kabuki allowing them to say "I'm a good white person, honestly I am!!!" Oh look, I just used the word kabuki, "cultural appropriation!!!"

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2015 2:39 PM

Incidentally. today is the tenth of Thermidor in the year 223 for those interested in appropriating the culture of revolutionary France.

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2015 2:40 PM

This whole thing puzzles me. It's "culture", people. It changes and grows. Culture has been traded since there were two tribes. It's organic. You can't lock it up in a room and expect it to live.

If these people feel so damned guilty for being "white" (or whatever they feel guilty about) they should stop acting like a bunch of spoilt brats and do something REAL - like building schools, cleaning up after natural disasters, finding a way to get clean drinking water to people, lobbying for reproductive education. But no - they want everyone to stop watching the BBC, eating corn on the cob, dancing, patronizing Taco Bell, drinking wine and generally living life because they feel guilty.

People are so fucking crazy. This is just another ploy by the uber-rich to distract from the continued rape of the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2015 3:08 PM

[quote]This is just another ploy by the uber-rich to distract from the continued rape of the middle class.

The uber-rich are appropriating the cultures of the Bourbons and the Romanovs.

by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2015 3:13 PM

R42 Oktoberfest, Chinatowns, Japanese gardens of the Pacific Northwest, have these idiots ever been to Holland, MI?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 28, 2015 3:14 PM

If you are someone who goes into convulsions and and seizures, whenever it appears someone has culturally appropriated pieces of global cultures, please, do not come to The USA.

Not because you're not welcome but because you will be paralyzed by the German-esque villages, Orientalist restaurant buildings from the 1950's, the French Quarters, the Georgian homes, postcards, holiday decorations, fusion food trucks, State Park greeting centers, "It's a Small World" exhibits, gardens, festivals, art, music, film --- you will be cowering in a state of abject misery, the moment you step of the plane.

We're just thinking of you. We're a bunch of tacky appropriators and it's going to stay that way so if the lack of cultural purism in The US offends you, you might want to find a way to deal with it or go somewhere more uniform, homogeneous and less hodge-podge.

by Anonymousreply 58July 28, 2015 3:24 PM

Did DL hear about the drama over Adore Delano wearing a bindi? So fucking stupid. Seriously, who gives a shit?

Look at this insanity:

[quote]I have a friend who is Indian American and when this topic has come up, like when Selena wore a bindi, she basically says it's no big deal and people are too sensitive. It's so awkward cause then I, the white girl, am there trying to explain to the Indian American girl why it's cultural appropriation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 28, 2015 3:35 PM

We live in a country where an entire industry was built on the musical innovations of one group. However, when you look at who controls this industry and who profits the most, members of this group are typically nowhere to be found. However, this is a good thing because the ones control this industry and make the greatest profit are simply appreciating a culture.

by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2015 3:36 PM

R60 What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2015 3:47 PM

Black Americans are the innovators and drivers of culture. Black culture has been considered cool, hip, and cutting edge, even during Jim Crow. People want to emulate Blackness.

Yet for the most part Blacks people are still used by the media as examples of the worst humanity has to offer. This is why Black people are angry about cultural appropriation. On the one hand everything about us is desirable to make White people feel "cool". Which, it appears, is of utmost importance in society particularly now that social media is so pervasive. And on the other hand, Black people are no good scum of the earth that deserve to be shot down in the street or murdered. Obama is the worst President. Cosby, one of America's premiere TV dads, is a degenerate. Stephen Collins is also a degenerate and was a TV dad just not as well publicized.

A kid 12 with a toy gun (shot), an unarmed teenage punk bully stealing cigars (shot), a homeless couple unarmed trapped in a car (shot 137 times), a guy selling cigarettes (choked), several mentally ill (various), a woman pulled over in her car (hanged?).

Elvis or Macklemore or Iggy Azelea or Bo Derek or countless others make money and are praised as innovators using stuff stolen from Black culture. But Black people get nothing but hate and a shoulder shrug from White people when they ask for justice or respect. That is some twisted shit.

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2015 4:03 PM

I'm just agreeing with everyone in this thread. Cultural appropriation is always a good thing, it's never bad and never exploitative as minorities have never been exploited in this country and have always benefited when the majority culture appropriated aspects of their culture. Minorities shouldn't look at the music or entertainment industry or sports and fear that they could possibly be exploited for profit because this is something that never, ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2015 4:05 PM

[quote]Cosby, one of America's premiere TV dads, is a degenerate. Stephen Collins is also a degenerate and was a TV dad just not as well publicized.

This is a shitty comparison as Cosby is way, way, way more famous and beloved, and he has like 40 women who have come out against him. Cosby is being treated the same way Woody Allen and Roman Polanski (two white men) have. Stephen Collins hasn't because nobody really knows who the fuck he is.

by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2015 4:07 PM

[quote]I have a friend who is Indian American and when this topic has come up, like when Selena wore a bindi, she basically says it's no big deal and people are too sensitive. It's so awkward cause then I, the white girl, am there trying to explain to the Indian American girl why it's cultural appropriation.

I hope the Indian-American girl had a good laugh after she was lectured by that condescending idiot white girl.

by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2015 4:10 PM

An entire city full of cultural appropriation!

This is right next to the Spanish Old Mission Santa Inez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2015 4:13 PM

[quote]An entire city full of cultural appropriation!

The SJWs give no fucks when European cultures are borrowed or "appropriated" - not even the poor ones in Eastern Europe. Only cultures they deem oppressed and non-white enough.

by Anonymousreply 67July 28, 2015 4:22 PM

Sorry, California, no more "Mission Style" or "Mediterranean Style". Time to tear the schools down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 28, 2015 4:27 PM

[quote]Stephen Collins hasn't because nobody really knows who the fuck he is.

Collins showed his cock to some underage girls, as far as I recall, and had one of them touch it. While that's obviously a disgusting thing to do, it's not comparable to drugging and raping dozens of women.

by Anonymousreply 69July 28, 2015 4:37 PM

R63 Jay Z, is that you?! Kiss, kiss! how's the little one?

by Anonymousreply 70July 28, 2015 4:48 PM

" This is why Black people are angry about cultural appropriation. "

I really wish that when people get angry over things like this, they would stop and consider whether they themselves have appropriated anything from other cultures. Anyone who lives in the US has, that's absolutely guaranteed, as our mainstream has been created by mass immigration and assimilation.

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2015 8:51 AM

Tiki:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2016 1:20 PM

Good idea for a thread. All the culture appropriation shit seems ridiculous, but I'm curious if there are some legitimate examples of it. If anything was as extreme as blackface, everyone would notice, not just overly sensitive SJWs. I'm actually commenting before reading. I'll skim the thread for good examples, if any.

by Anonymousreply 73March 25, 2016 1:33 PM

R61 - rock 'n roll baby rock 'n roll

by Anonymousreply 74March 25, 2016 2:22 PM

never take this seriously. "cultural appropriation" or what ever it is is literally the basis of ALL societies throughout history.

by Anonymousreply 75March 25, 2016 2:36 PM

I refuse to shop at Cartier because in the 1920's they led the Egyptian Revival movement in jewelry. Appropriated scarabs wound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2016 2:57 PM

My understanding is that "Hamilton" is a wonderful play!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2016 3:16 PM

Aesha Ash too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 25, 2016 3:19 PM

Tatoos.

by Anonymousreply 79March 25, 2016 3:47 PM

These days Native Americans (and white kids pretending to be Native Americans on twitter) only exist to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 80March 25, 2016 3:50 PM

Chicken Tikka Masala is really British.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 9:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!