Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Excited about BBC's celebration of Agatha Christie's 125th Birthday?

The British TV company is producing two adaptation to honor Christie: Partners in Crime which features the sleuthing couple, Tommy and Tuppence, and Christie’s masterpiece And Then There Were None. As a Christie fan, I'm looking forward to these, especially now that Poirot has ended its run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 12, 2019 12:47 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2015 4:16 PM

Me too, OP! Very much looking forward to the ATTWN remake. I reread the book only recently after a DL Christie thread.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2015 4:20 PM

I hope they keep the original ending of the novel which no stage or film adaptation has ever done. Talk about dark and disturbing but so right for the story.

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2015 4:29 PM

Presumably they won't be using the original title of "And Then There Were None."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2015 4:42 PM

I loved watching Tommy and Tuppence series as a kid. I've also loved all the new Miss Marples and I've been missing them.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2015 4:46 PM

Full Cast List for AND THEN THERE WERE NONE:

Douglas Booth as Anthony Marston

Charles Dance as Justice Lawrence Wargrave

Maeve Dermody as Vera Claythorne

Burn Gorman as William Blore

Anna Maxwell Martin as Ethel Rogers

Sam Neill as General John MacArthur

Miranda Richardson as Miss Emily Brent

Toby Stephens as Dr Edward Armstrong

Noah Taylor as Thomas Rogers

Aidan Turner as Philip Lombard

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2015 4:54 PM

LOVE Anna Maxwell Martin who was so good in the latest adaptation of Bleak House, with Gillian Anderson who was luminous.

Two GoT alumni, too!

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2015 5:04 PM

R3

I saw adaptation with original ending. It was russian movie, truly excellent.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2015 5:05 PM

Here is the Russian version -- no subtitles unfortunately -- but the original ending from the novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2015 1:35 PM

Article with info on the BBC production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2015 3:12 PM

How do you add a tag? This should be tagged as television as well.

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2015 3:14 PM

Was Hercule Poirot 'of the persuasia'?

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2015 3:15 PM

I'm a major AC fan, starting over 50 years ago. Eventually saw "The Mouse-Trap" in London. But this latest news leaves me cold. First of all, T&T has been done excellently by Francesca Annis and James Warwick; porky David Walliams doesn't cut it. Secondly, a THIRD "ATTWN"? Why? The first is impeccable.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2015 4:38 PM

r13 - this isn't the third version of "And Then There Were None", it's the fifth: The first, titled And Then There Were None, was filmed in 1945. The remakes, entitled "Ten Little Indians" were made in 1965 (set in a mansion atop a snowy mountaintop); 1974 (set in a deserted hotel in the middle of the Iranian desert); 1989 (set in a cut-off campsite in the jungles of Africa). As previously mentioned, there was also a Russian-language version, Desyat Negrityat, which is actually the most faithful to the source novel.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2015 6:15 PM

It wiuld have been inspired casting to have used David Suchet and Julia McKenzie given the popularity of the POIROT.and MARPLE series.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2015 1:54 AM

David Walliams is TERRIBLE casting for Tommy.

Cute James Warwick, the original Tommy, is gay, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2015 2:04 AM

The original British title of ATTWN is no more. It was retired For obvious reasons, and the American title (ATTWN) is now the only title used.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2015 2:06 AM

Wasn't there another title, "Ten Little Indians?" I was never sure which kind of Indian it was supposed to refer to.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2015 2:25 AM

The rhyme of "Ten Little (whatevers)" is part of the plot -- so presumably they changed more than just the tiitle. In the '60s (?) movie version, I seem to recall they used Indians, and there were little Indian figurines that figured into the action.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2015 2:26 AM

So looking forward to this. Nothing like a good british period mystery.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2015 3:12 AM

The poem: Ten little Indian boys went out to dine;

One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Indian boys sat up very late;

One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Indian boys traveling in Devon;

One said he’d stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks;

One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Indian boys playing with a hive;

A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Indian boys going in for law,

One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Indian boys going out to sea;

A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Indian boys walking in the Zoo;

A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun;

On got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Indian boy left all alone;

He went and hanged himself and then there were none.

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2015 3:33 AM

R21 So were they India Indians or Native American Indians?

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2015 3:56 AM

R21- They are feather not dot.

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2015 4:15 AM

Anyone else find the new Partners In Crime disappointing? Something is off about the Tommy and Tuppence casting and the show itself really drags.

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2015 4:44 AM

[quote]I seem to recall they used Indians, and there were little Indian figurines that figured into the action.

In the 1945 version the victims were isolated on a remote island called Indian Island supposedly for it's resemblance to the profile of a native American Indian. The only other "Indians" were just a table centerpiece of 10 Indian figurines, one of which was found broken after each murder which loosely followed the rhyme r21 posted. So, for example, the first Indian who choked his little self was actually poisoned with an after dinner drink.

Hope this series becomes available in the US. The story is a favorite of mine and I've seen all 3 American versions and have 2 of the 3 on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2015 4:52 AM

At first I read this as a celebration of Angela Lansbury's 125th Birthday!

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2015 5:12 PM

Patience, R26. Not long to go.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2015 5:15 PM

I'm pissed that the BBC stopped funding the production of Miss Marple. I adore her!

by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2015 5:20 PM

LOVE Agatha Christie stuff.

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2015 6:36 PM

R25-one of the articles says it will show on Lifetime here in the U.S. in 2016 as a 2 part movie.

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2015 7:48 PM

Here's a photo of the Indian figurines from the 1945 AND THEN THERE WERE NONE>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2015 8:37 PM

And the figurines from the 1965 TEN LITTLE INDIANS with a black cat ominously walking past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2015 8:39 PM

However, by the 1989 adaptation the figurines (seen as the centerpiece in the photo below) are now turbaned figures from India and not feather head-dressed native Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2015 8:43 PM

Marple wasn't BBC; it was on ITV.

They'd also run out of books to do.

ITV had the TV rights to Christie but now the BBC has them again.

by Anonymousreply 34August 11, 2015 8:48 PM

I haven't enjoyed the recent Marples much: they keep unnecessarily changing the plots. In my mind, nothing can dethrone Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. Hickson was also Agatha Christie's own choice for the role.

by Anonymousreply 35August 11, 2015 9:16 PM

In the original book ("Ten Little N_____s") did they use the "N" word in the rhyme as part of the story? I am not at all familiar with the rhyme-- is it a British thing?

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2015 3:11 AM

While I like the 1945 version of "And then there were none", which segues brilliantly from light humour to real suspense, I hope this time they go with the book ending. The book is a tightly written little masterpiece.

This version looks very well cast!

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2015 3:35 AM

Marple appeared in 12 of Agatha Christie's crime novels and in 20 short stories -- have they exhausted them all? If so, they might go the way of the recently published MONOGRAM MURDERS novel in which novelist Sophie Hannah took the Poirot character and created a new mystery "in the style of" Agatha Christie.

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2015 2:48 PM

Bring back Miss Marple! But who to cast?

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2015 1:22 PM

And Then There Were None creeped the hell,outta me when I was a kid and still does!

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2015 4:57 PM

Helen Hayes and Bette Davis did a 1985 version of "Murder With Mirrors"

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2015 1:23 AM

The 1965 version of "Ten Little Indians" was on TCM recently. It starred Hugh O'Brian, Shirley Eaton (aka the girl who got painted in "Goldfinger"), and that great thespian-- FABIAN! I started to watch it but gave up after ten minutes when it was clear it wasn't going to be anything like the book -- they start off on an aerial tramway in the Alps somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2015 2:47 AM

The 65 version isn't that bad and Fabian exits quickly and Hugh O'Brain takes appears shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2015 4:53 AM

Again, completely jealous that the UK gets these productions in their entirety and we get them piecemeal-if at all-here in the U.S. on either PBS or BBC America. Still no sign of Mapp and Lucia. Speaking of BBC America---it is a major source of frustration. There are so many good programs that the BBC has produced that could be shown but instead we get a steady diet of Star Trek: Next Generation, Top Gear and Chef Ramsey.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2015 5:47 AM

Am I right in thinking Agatha Christie also wrote the stage adaptation of this? I suppose then either ending is true to the author's wishes. It would be interesting to see the ending follow the novel though.

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2015 8:28 AM

So disappointed with the post-2000 Poirots/Marples. The high point of any Agatha Christie is her peerless plotting so why would you fuck with that? Totally different killers and motives marred some of my favourite mysteries; what a fiasco.

Am rather disappointed with how Ariadne Oliver, my favourite character, was shafted. And Zoe Wanamaker was priceless which makes her underuse, and in one case being completely out, out even more galling.

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2015 1:27 PM

The old "Mystery!" intro to get you in the mood:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2015 1:31 PM

Apparently now American film companies also remaking AND THEN THERE WERE NONE as well as MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS with the director of "The Imitation Game" sind on to directt ATTWN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2015 11:12 PM

Partners in Crime was terrible, but so are the books. Walliams is badly miscast Tuppence is played by the actress who nailed the nasty, vindictive Lady Rochford in Wolf Hall (and so seems insipid by comparison here). A complete dud. I can't see the point of remaking And Then There None, again. There's a great version from the 40s that won't be surpassed. Remember, Christie isn't Tolstoy; there's only so much you can do with her work.

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2015 11:34 PM

Yes. I was excited by Partners in Crime until I watched the first episode and saw Russell Brand's partner on the womanizing circuit: David Walliams. Walliams is so repellant. Not to mention the tone of the show was so uneven.

Hopefully they won't fuck up And Then There Were None.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2015 12:25 AM

News on the latest TV adaptation of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 25, 2015 2:13 PM

Well done...

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2016 7:42 PM

A lot of interesting comments after that Guardian article

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2016 1:59 PM

[bold]Ordeal by Innocence viewers can't believe the "naughty" language in BBC One's Agatha Christie adaptation[/bold]

[quote]The three-part series follows two previous Agatha Christie entries adapted by Sarah Phelps for the BBC ('And Then There Were None' and 'Witness for the Prosecution' were the others) and is all about the murder of Rachel Argyll (played by Anna Chancellor).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2018 1:56 PM

This can't be good. BBC produces crap.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2018 2:18 PM

[quote]News on the latest TV adaptation of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE

How dare they change the title from "Ten Little Niggers"! PC gone mad!

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2018 2:20 PM

r55 'And Then There Were None' was outstanding, actually. Haven't seen 'Witness for the Prosecution' and this latest one yet.

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2018 2:22 PM

I've got DVDs of the original 1945 version, the Russian version and the latest TV adaptation - all of them excellent. Of the rest, I've only ever seen the 1965 version - meh

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2018 2:23 PM

Witness for the Prosecution was very good. I'm enjoying the darker, modern take on Agatha Christie.

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2018 2:30 PM

[bold]John Malkovich to Play Hercule Poirot in Agatha Christie’s ‘The ABC Murders’[/bold]

[quote]John Malkovich and “Harry Potter” star Rupert Grint have signed on for “The ABC Murders,” an Agatha Christie adaptation for the BBC in Britain and Amazon in the U.S. Shooting gets underway in June and will see Malkovich become the latest actor to take on the role of the famously mustachioed Belgian detective.

[quote]Grint has signed on to play Inspector Crome. The cast also includes Andrew Buchan (“Broadchurch”), Eamon Farren (“Twin Peaks”), Tara Fitzgerald (“Game of Thrones”), Bronwyn James (“Harlots”), and Freya Mavor (“The Sense of an Ending”).

[quote]Based on the classic 1936 Christie novel, the series will run to three parts. British pubcaster the BBC has aired a series of adaptations of Christie’s work in recent years, including “And Then There Were None,” “Witness for the Prosecution” and, most recently, “Ordeal by Innocence.” “The ABC Murders” stands out for featuring Poirot; many Christie fans consider the long-running portrayal by Suchet on the BBC’s chief broadcasting rival, ITV, to be the definitive version.

[quote]It is the latest Christie adaptation in a series commissioned by the BBC, [bold]with six more to come.[/bold] Alex Gabassi (“The Frankenstein Chronicles”) will direct and Farah Abushwesha (“The Party”) produce. BAFTA-nominated writer Sarah Phelps will pen the 1930s-set drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2018 8:08 AM

They had to reshoot Ordeal by Innocence to remove Ed Westwick and replace him with a new, and much hotter, actor.

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2018 8:13 AM

[quote]John Malkovich to Play Hercule Poirot in Agatha Christie’s ‘The ABC Murders’

Well, he's no Tony Randall!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2018 5:59 PM

First look at John Malkovich as Poirot in 'The ABC Murders'. What do you think?

[quote]"Set in the seething, suspicious early 1930s, 'The ABC Murders' is a brutal story of violence and lies, the long shadow of the past and the slaughter to come," writer Sarah Phelps has teased.

[quote]"At its centre, one of the most familiar, famous characters in crime fiction. We may all think we know Poirot but do we really know Hercule?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2018 11:59 AM

And then there were none was outstanding . The actress is who played Vera simply excellent

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2018 12:58 PM

I'm getting into my Morris Cowley and setting off into the night!

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2018 1:18 PM

Let's reestablish the Detection Club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2018 1:21 PM

R54 It was grubby, full of neurotics and foul language The woman were ugly while handsome Matthew Goode pretended to urinate at the dinner table unto a bottle. Grand-Guignol

'Witness for the Prosecution' was even WORSE. Desperately keen to be Post-Modern and Anti-Agatha Christie. More pretentious and made by feminists just out of film-school. It was hard to see what was happening because there was a mysterious fog permeating every scene outdoors and indoors. Kate Cattrall is murdered in a bloody way. More Foul language. Repetitive screaming by unknown, insane people. Unsettling 30-second scene overlaps.

I could barely watch the second episode with Toby Jones simultaneously having a nervous breakdown while penetrating his wife as punishment because he hates her. Extremely ugly in every way.

by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2018 1:27 PM

^ The BBC feminists knew the 90 minute Billy Wilder version with Laughton, Dietrich and Lanchester was funny.

And they knew the 1990s version with Ralph Richardson and Deborah Kerr was also amusing.

So the BBC feminists thought they's be 'artistic' by making their version twice as long as it needed to be, eliminating the Deborah Kerr character and inserting scads of annoying and ugly film-school trickery.

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2018 11:05 PM

"The Pale Horse" now in the works from BBC and Amazon. A two-parter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2019 12:02 PM

Yayyyy!! I ADORE Pale Horse. Eminently creepy..deserves a remake! Well done BBC

by Anonymousreply 70June 12, 2019 12:31 PM

We HEART Miss Marple!

by Anonymousreply 71June 12, 2019 12:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!