Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you date a "lower class" man?

A poster on another thread the reason he didn't find the beauty of one guy appealing because of the following features which reminds him of lower class "even though he's in the shower, it looks like his skin is greasy and full of grime that's been there for years. His tattoos don't help. The combination of beady eyes, wide nose and thick lips together make me think of the lower classes. If he had one of those features alone, I wouldn't think that. It's the combination that does it." Would you date a lower class man? I mean it really depends. If he had great attributes, I would.

Here's the following situations in which I would date a lower class man. He was wealthy but has fallen on hard times but has the ability to bounce back. He had lower class roots and/or is quick-thinking, I would take him. And finally if we simply do well together, if our personality are harmonious, then why the heck not.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 3:07 PM

Considering how difficult it is for you to meet people without alienating them, your particularity & judgement of others is quite amusing. No one should settle, and we like what we like, but you seem to hold people to such high standards. Life is short, enjoy it while you can, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2015 11:15 PM

OP, seek help. You need it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2015 11:17 PM

Oh honey before you worry about class you'd best have some.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2015 11:18 PM

There are not any lower class men than you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2015 11:19 PM

Don't you think you should have linked the photo for those of us who weren't following the thread?

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2015 11:22 PM

Absolutely NOT!

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2015 11:25 PM

R5, here's the pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2015 11:28 PM

R1, What do you mean by this: "but you seem to hold people to such high standards. "

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2015 11:29 PM

R1, Can you give me an example of where I demonstrated this?

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2015 11:29 PM

[quote] He was wealthy but has fallen on hard times but has the ability to bounce back.

People with a lot of money can still be lower class.

[quote] he didn't find the beauty of one guy appealing

Tom Hardy does not have beauty.

[quote] Can you give me an example of where I demonstrated this?

I'm not R1, but it's your cunting threads, P/M/BR.

Oh, and I would not date a lower class man. And because I hold people to such high standards, I would also not date Thais or Filipinos or people from another major.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2015 11:41 PM

Who dates?? Thats my question. I thought that mating ritual was last seen in the 80s.

I dated men of all classes. Some of these men however, if not my class, I was a big exception for the them. Hottest lovers were lower middle class latinos. Yeah kind of a stereotype but there it is.

Funniest lovers were elite-educated cynics, who were in fact boot-strappers.

Chicest were French Bobos of course. Now there are lots of bobos in many countries and all bobos are pretty much insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2015 11:42 PM

I hate the whole human race because of bigoted idiots like what is described here.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2015 11:50 PM

R10, I never said do not date thais, and filipinos . However, I know that I am very judgmental, and demand more than is deserving of my current condition in life, which is probably why I am a loser for so many years...haha...I don't ask for too much, but what I'm asking is considered too much for my ability.

"Tom Hardy does not have any beauty". Really? I guess we all have a different definition of what is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2015 12:16 AM

[quote] I am a loser for so many years

Apparently.

[quote] what I'm asking is considered too much for my ability

And thus you will lash out at others.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2015 12:23 AM

R14, I am trying to think of ways to lower my standard to what is my just deserts. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2015 12:29 AM

OP is the Tom Hardy troll, also the M/P/BR Troll.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2015 12:32 AM

R16 is Captain Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2015 12:33 AM

[quote] I am trying to think of ways to lower my standard to what is my just deserts. Any suggestions?

Try the Ainu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2015 12:35 AM

OP --- you're the guy with no friends who lusts after a guy that ignores you ........who are you to have such "high standards" .....

Most people consider stalking a low class activity.

You should talk to your roommate about this .......oh, wait ....

Or maybe your mother ....before you move out at 23.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2015 12:48 AM

Date? Sure. Marry? Most likeIy not.

I not only dated one, we signed a lease together. I'd like to say love conquered all, but it didn't. We broke up only a few months in and almost every problem could be traced to class differences. We had different expectations. Things that I considered to be "understood" weren't and others that "goes without saying" in relationships where both parties were middle to upper middle class needed to be said.

Iow, he was a big old piece of trash. lol.

I was young and didn't realize that there are significant differences that need to be bridged. I thought that we were all the same underneath and background didn't matter.

Well, it does. It can be done, I suppose, but it's more work and I'm not good at relationships and communication anyway. I'll leave the challenges to the professionals.

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2015 12:51 AM

"Things that I considered to be "understood" weren't and others that "goes without saying" in relationships where both parties were middle to upper middle class needed to be said." r20

Inquiring minds want the sordid details.

If you suck at relationships, are you sure the problem was class conflict, and not just you?

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2015 1:39 AM

It was both. I wasn't *that* bad. It's just not my forte. I need someone almost exactly like me basically.

But I've noticed that friends of mine who have long-term, successful relationships that bridge a significant class or racial gap are usually people who are exceptionally good at personal relationships and enjoy the challenge that that bit of extra distance brings. They get bored otherwise like a high IQ person forced into remedial math.

Details? Oh hell no. Maybe some other time when I'm not sober.

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2015 5:08 AM

R22 was to R21

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2015 5:09 AM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2015 6:29 PM

I'm with you OP! There's no way I'd allow a brutish, thick-lipped wage-slave inside my [italic]maisonnette[/italic], so he can cover my [italic]chaise-longue[/italic] with his malodorous body-hair. I prefer them smooth, thin-lipped, with toothpick-legs,, a fivehead, a fake British accent and thinning, brittle white-blonde hair.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2015 7:27 PM

Uh...ya R25, what I posted was the opinion of another poster. I just thought it was an interesting pont of view. Would I date a lower class man, I've given reasons to as to why I would.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Gimme the garbage man over these mincing queens.

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2015 7:47 PM

Money can't buy you class.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2015 8:19 PM

Nothing says "lower class" quite as loudly and clearly as the OP's hillbilly writing "skills."

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2015 8:26 PM

Small close set eyes like the guy in the photo above are a sign of inbreeding and lower class.

by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2015 8:49 PM

All the lower class men I've been with are back in prison

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2015 9:34 PM

I find New York blue collar ethnic guys with their coarse accents, manners and manner of dress quite repulsive. One would think that type of Brooklyn Italian accent, if that's what it is, would have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2015 10:24 PM

Now that I am borderline rich, yes I absolutely would. I am very drawn to swarthy construction worker/contractor types. I like a can do man. At this point, if he has his hair, can make me laugh and doesn't want much in the way of romance, I'd take a chance.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2015 10:57 PM

Is he climbably tsll? Does he look like Howie - Dean or Long?

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2015 12:17 AM

I like romance, and from what I've seen (not experienced) blue collar men don't do that well.

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2015 12:20 AM

When it's just fucking around this "class" thing doesn't come into play for me. Those sexy latin minim wage guys here in Chicago are often awesomely hot in the sack. Pretty damn wild as long as you insist on condoms. Now seriously dating or marriage are completely different things. The sex becomes less important and having common ground becomes extremely important. We just live in a completely different worlds in terms of experiences and life expectations and education level. It's just not going to work for anything serious. That's just the reality of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2015 12:41 AM

Most of you are such fairies!

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2015 11:18 PM

I take whatever I can get.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2015 11:24 PM

If you only knew rhe number of higher class gay men who live like they're still in college.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2015 11:27 PM

My husband's parents were OTR truckers and his grandfathers Appalachian coal miners. He's a chef and runs an opera company. We both wonder how his family managed to produce him.

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2015 1:21 AM

LOL..it happens R40. I just got back from visiting my father and it's quite striking just how different we are in education, careers and overall life. We essentially live on different planets and that has very little to do with me being gay at this point. My life took a very different path ( by choice) than his. Couple of days is about all the time we can spend together in a go and then we're both totally bored with each other. He's actually over time gotten totally ok with the gay thing..it's just all the rest very very little common ground there. But your relationship with your adult parent is entirely different than your relationship with someone you're dating or partnered with. There has to be a lot more common ground there.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2015 1:29 AM

I would, yes. Honestly, I am more comfortable being the one who makes more money. He still has to have a job.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2020 2:56 AM

Does he look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2020 2:58 AM

What does class have to do with it? It has to do with things in common other than class.

Do you enjoy the same activities? Do you read the same genre? Appreciate music together? Have equal levels of intelligence? Have similar hobbies or enjoy trying new things?

These are the things that allow relationships to flourish. Class has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2020 3:20 AM

I suppose I could date my chauffeur, but probably not the cook or houseman.

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2020 3:51 AM

My partner obviously can, and I am extremely appreciative of that. He is beautiful (and quite upper class). He went to a boarding school where they wore straw boater hats and the school event of the year was the debutante ball. At my school the event of the year was an Armed Offenders Squad lockdown, the drug and weapon searches were too commonplace to be notable events in the school calendar

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2020 4:48 AM

Yes, I would prefer a blue-collar guy, especially a handy man. That way, he can help me do the home projects that I am incapable of doing by myself. I'm book smart, but dumb when it comes to any work with my hands.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2020 5:21 AM

I just can't stay gay men who think like half-witted str8 women

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2020 5:40 AM

I just can't stand gay men who think like half-witted str8 women

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2020 3:30 AM

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2020 3:56 AM

R47, you should give yourself a chance and try out some projects! I was just like you, and eventually, I learned all kinds of stuff, by watching YouTube videos, or reading how to manuals/instructions, online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2020 12:54 PM

I *am* the lower class, so, anyone is welcome to woo me ;-)

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2020 12:56 PM

Variety is the spice of life so yeah I've dated and up and down. Anyway there are all sorts of different kinds of class. One can be "working class" but come from a family with impeccable morality and social value - a bedrock type family. And we all know the super rich can be sociopaths and vulgar, trashy people.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2020 1:09 PM

I did it once. I am a Professor and he was a mechanic. We met when we were young (late 20's), I had finished my Ph.D. and I accepted a tenure-track position in another state so we broke it off. But, it was clear that it was not going anywhere. I usually had to work during weekends (writing, reading....) and he would just be around the house, bored. He was very sweet but he did not have any hobbies and not many friends. He did not even like sports. So, it was sex or little else. We were together for over a year. Looking back, it should have been a one-night stand or a FWB. It is difficult if the interests/hobbies are radically different or if one of the two has the necessity to be together all the time, or most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2020 1:38 PM

If someone is intelligent, somewhat curious about the world and reasonably compatible with me in other ways, I couldn't give two hoots about 'class'. The problem would be excessive class loyalty on their part (or their cohort's) - i.e. disdaining me for not doing things their way.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 3:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!