Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deutschland 83, new series on Sundance TV

Anyone watching this this German import series on Sundance TV? It's pretty good--sort of reminds me of The Americans. Same era and great 80s soundtrack.

The lead guy is cute, and there just might be some gay content coming up...

I will say the subtitles are a bit hard to read sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2018 12:29 AM

I watched the first few episodes this weekend and really enjoyed it. The music is indeed fantastic --in the first episode alone, there's Major Tom, 99 Luftballoons, Sweet Dreams, I'm Not in Love and Blue Monday. Loved the scene of the East German "hero" stuffing his face with fast food while his handler warns him that Western food is intended to keep citizens fat, lazy and complacent. But you're right -- the subtitle are often tough to read, especially in episode 1.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2015 6:54 PM

Poor Linda.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2015 7:06 PM

Well acted, fast paced and very spot on with respect to the politics and culture of the time. I miss most of the German and rely on the subtitles which requires me to use the pause botton when they're hard to read. Should work on my German.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2015 7:42 PM

I read it doesn't even have its German premiere until the fall.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2015 9:53 PM

Jonas Nay (the lead) got naked and seems to have jerked on-cam (just out of frame, but I saw dick) in a film he did a couple years ago.

I hope the other guy, the general's son, has hot sex scenes with his new male lover. I haven't watched this week's ep yet.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2015 10:06 PM

Hot black daddy in underpants TIED UP alert for latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2015 9:42 PM

Uhh, R6, that guy was OLD and not at all hot. You must have very low standards when it comes to hot daddies.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2015 8:14 PM

My daddy standards are well-honed, thank you very much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2015 2:26 AM

Dude, he had man boobs which require a man bra.

Well, I guess the General's kid is going to get AIDS from that one encounter with Tischbier. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2015 3:51 AM

Watch it hier:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2015 1:13 AM

Here's some great news about Season 2-Alex lives!

My agent friend told me casting is underway for the role of a closeted American GI serving alongside openly gay Alex.

S2 will be shooting August to December, 10 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2017 2:01 PM

That is great news r11. Really enjoyed this series, assumed it was gone for good.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2017 2:03 PM

the lead is so fucking sexy

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2017 2:17 PM

Is it streamable anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2017 4:37 PM

^yes

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2017 5:14 PM

Season 1 is in Hulu. It's a great companion show to The Americans.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2017 5:23 PM

Season 2?

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2017 5:27 PM

I was waiting for these two to get together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2017 5:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2017 5:39 PM

Season 2 starts shooting in August.

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2017 1:42 AM

Just binged the first 4 episodes. Really good stuff. Fills that 80s espionage hole left by the end of The Americans. The lead actor's great -- cute as fuck, too. He's like a Bel Ami model who went to Juilliard.

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2017 9:40 AM

I wish I hadn't binged this show in a week. It was SO good. Can anyone recommend a show with similar themes, tone, setting or feel? European, British, Australian, American, whatever.

And, yes, I watch The Americans and I've seen The Fall, The Missing, Fargo, The Bridge, River, The Night Of, Happy Valley..

What else??

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2017 2:19 AM

R22, Rent "The Longest Day" a movie about D-Day.

Band of Brothers was a recent miniseries about the battle of the bulge. It's got Alexander Saarsgard.

Have you seen Bridge of Spies? Great movie. Also Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. The original and recent remake were great.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2017 2:59 AM

DEUTSCHLAND 86 premieres October 25 on Sundance TV. I think it's set in S. Africa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2018 4:46 AM

YES!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2018 5:07 AM

R22 maybe London Spy? 5-part miniseries about a man unraveling the truth of his (male) lover's death. The first episode is honestly 9/10 good -- like, award-winning good -- but it quickly goes downhill by episode 3. It's still a pretty good binge if only for episode 1.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2018 5:28 AM

r26 - I really wanted to like London Spy, but I couldn't get past the first two episodes. Way too pulpy and melodramatic for me. But I seem to be in the minority, everyone seems to have loved that one.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2018 5:46 AM

The last episodes were much worse, r27.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2018 5:52 AM

DEUTSCHLAND 86 is on Hulu now!

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2018 3:40 PM

Berlin Station is another good spy thriller

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2018 5:15 PM

On paper, Berlin Station felt right up my alley, but it felt very BASIC cable to me. Maybe I should give it another shot, but the couple of episodes I saw felt like poor substitutes for shows like Homeland, The Americans or Deutschland.

by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2018 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!