Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Literary lesbians of the DL: what make you ladies of lezzie author Sarah Waters?

Gay guy here. I'm reading Sarah Waters The Paying Guests, a gift from a lesbian friend.

It's about an English lesbian who lives with her mother in the 1920's and has a steamy affair with their married boarder, under the husband's nose.

Quite hot.

Have you ladies read her work?

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2021 12:38 AM

Not a lezzie but I like her work! "The Little Stranger" stayed with me a long time after reading. "Tipping the Velvet" is a fun sapphic potboiler!

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2015 2:05 AM

The one I liked didn't have much to do with lesbianism - Room - psychological thriller which was very suspenseful.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2015 1:53 PM

I know quite a few lesbians who love her writing, personally I could never get into it. Don't really like Anne Rice either.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2015 2:47 PM

Just finished Fingersmith and loved it. Thought it was great. Lots of plot twists made it compelling. Also liked Tipping the Velvet. Didn't care much for Affinity. Will put the Paying Guests on my to read list.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2015 10:34 PM

The Little Stranger one of my favorite novels, "lezzie" or not. She's a fabulous writer.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2015 10:37 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2015 11:16 PM

Haven't read any of her works, but now will add these to my reading list. Another reason to enjoy DL.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2015 11:43 PM

I didn't like the Paying Guest - I got half way through and lost patience with its meandering self-indulgence. As I understand it, I missed nothing.

The one that for me was truly superlative - with beautiful, evocative writing, tense, twisting plot with genuine surprises - a page turner that didn't feel like a guilty pleasure... was Fingersmith. I'd recommend that book to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2015 11:52 PM

Loved Tipping, Fingersmith and The Night Watch. Didn't care for Affinity and currently off to a slow start with The Paying Guest. The writing can be self indulgent at times, but the plotting is well paced and she can set a scene.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2015 12:03 AM

Room is an amazing book, R2, but it's not by Sarah Waters. It's by Emma Donoghue, and a film version will be released soon.

Fingersmith is definitely the bestvof Waters's books, but I like Tipping the Velvet, as well. The rest I found fairly unmemorable, though I didn't hate them.

Fans of Fingersmith might like Gillespie and I, by Jane Harris, which has a deliciously twisted plot. I don't think there's any lesbian action, though I may be wrong. In the same wheelhouse is White is for Witching, by Helen Oyeyemi. There may be some girl love in that one, but it's primarily a weird and supernatural story, vaguely influenced by Turn of the Screw. Oyeyemi is really young, and really talented.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2015 12:49 AM

I got a DVD of AFFINITY from my library a few weeks ago, and it was very well done.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2015 3:50 PM

The BBC did very good adaptations of Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith, which I'd suggest seeking out, and not just for the strap-ons.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2015 4:20 PM

Sarah Waters is the greatest lesbian author since Radcliffe Hall.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2015 4:54 PM

Not a Sarah waters book but currently reading "the price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith. Beautiful writing although the relationship seems a little off. Seems a little too Freudian-mother/daughter relationship. Thirty something Carol even refers to 19 year-old Therese as "child." Enjoying it though and looking forward to what develops.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2015 10:28 PM

Emma Donohoe and Patricia Highsmith are my favorite literary lesbians. Reading Strangers on a Train now.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2015 10:34 PM

Love her, not that enamored of Paying Guests. Try The Little Visitor, fantastic book that still haunts me years after reading.

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2016 10:27 PM

I haven’t read it, OP, but that actually sounds terrific.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2021 12:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!