Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Keenan's novels: "Blue Heaven," "Putting on the Ritz," "My Lucky Star"

With short-fingered vulgarian Donald Trump back in the news, it made me think of Joe Keenan's merciless skewering of him as "Peter Champion" in his second novel, "Putting on the Ritz."

All the novels were about three friends in the New York theater scene, who get into P.G. Wodehouse-style scrapes. Lots of wordplay and wit ("My Lucky Star," which satirized Tom Cruise, was the least funny of the three but still way ahead of most gay humorists' best work).

Keenan hasn't written a book for nearly a decade. Is anyone else a fan, or knows what he's writing now?

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2020 12:53 PM

Those were some of the funniest, laugh out loud booksIve ever read. I hope he's still writing something.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2015 10:56 PM

with the residuals he's getting from his years as executive producer/head writer on "Frasier", Keenan probably does't have to work (write) again. A shame, because he is ,as stated above, one of the sharpest, funniest writers around. I don't know if he's writing anything new.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2015 11:01 PM

who's his bfriend?

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2015 11:08 PM

Years ago, my ex and I gave the books to a friend who was going through some bad times;he reported back that they helped him a lot to get over depression.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2015 11:13 PM

Keenan's good. Wodehouse was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2015 11:25 PM

"Frasier" was at its best when Keenan was working on it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2015 11:28 PM

I really loved his first book, but didn’t finish the second. Should I give it another run?

I’d like to see the first one as a film or maybe a limited series.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2020 12:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!