Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Visconti's The Leopard

I saw this one years ago and I thought it was an overlong and overblown mess.

I just rewatched it and I must have been in the right mood this time because the long ballroom scene at the end left me speechless: the camera movements, the costumes, Burt Lancaster's acting and Claudia Cardinale's beauty...Was there ever a movie scene more fabulous than this one? Why don't they make movies like this one anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2019 6:36 PM

Visconti was an aristocrat. Are there any aristocrats making movies these days??

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2015 10:53 PM

R1 How about Florian Maria Georg Christian Graf Henckel von Donnersmarck

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2015 11:10 PM

Well The Tourist was very good looking but it was no The Comfort of Strangers.

by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2015 11:14 PM

Lancaster was a HOT daddy in this! and Delon so beautiful it hurts

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2015 11:18 PM

My French friend told me the gossip in Paris was that Claudia had an affair with President Chirac.

Who could blame him?

That dinner party scene where she laughs in that vulgar, loud, sexy way when Delon tells the story of the nun being raped and the camera zooms in on her fast - it's breath-taking, one of my favorite moments in cinema.

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2015 11:46 PM

Also anyone who enjoys Lancaster's magnificent world weary performance in The Leopard needs to see him in Visconti's The Conversation, where he's in much the same vein as a jaded American professor who falls i love with Helmut Berger (who was then Visconti's lover).

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2015 11:48 PM

A movie that must be seen on the big screen. Has anyone read the book? (And yes, the scene of Lancaster at fifty in the bath tub will stay with me forever.)

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2019 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!